Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I was flipping between the Cardinals game (very briefly)  and SF/ LA for some Vin  -- and it's just been a painful night. I despise the Giants and the Cardinals are JUST THE WORST.   All the between inning breaks photos of Vin with all the other classic old time team announcers has been terrific.

Ugh. Belt with a dinger off of Ravin.  9-3.  I'm turning off the TV- sorry Vin!

I hate the Dodgers  but have to endure them since hubby is a fan. I am amazed at how knowledgable Vin is. He effortlessly talks about every player, has stories to tell, etc. He must spend so much time preparing for every game because he is always on. I admit to getting teary eyed during his speech. It won't be the same hating the Dodgers without hearing his wonderful voice.

• Love 2

I stayed up way too late watching the Dodger game, and I realized - Vin called the entire game by himself, no other commentator, no color guy, just Vin talking for three hours.  Has he always worked alone like that?

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I stayed up way too late watching the Dodger game, and I realized - Vin called the entire game by himself, no other commentator, no color guy, just Vin talking for three hours.  Has he always worked alone like that?

Always been solo for the most part.  Did alternating innings and radio with other announcers but solo in the booth..

I wish they did that in most place so they concentrated on the play on the field and not all the other things that pop in their heads.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Not going to lie... I feel kinda bad for the idiot fan Pagan slammed to the ground, only because Pagan was standing there luring him in and then wham! body slam.

It would be much like how I would feel badly for a deer lured in near a hunter who then got plunked between the eyes.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Scully had a partner named Jerry Doggett for a while.

For a few years there was a guy named Ross Porter who joined the pair, he did the pre and post game shows and did some game announcing, but wasn't a color man to Vin. Ross Porter was a sports guy from the local NBC affiliate, too.

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Not going to lie... I feel kinda bad for the idiot fan Pagan slammed to the ground, only because Pagan was standing there luring him in and then wham! body slam.

It would be much like how I would feel badly for a deer lured in near a hunter who then got plunked between the eyes.

I went to a baseball game and instead?

An MMA bout broke out............

• Love 1

Laughed my ass off every time they did a shot of Bruce Bochy last night.

My pal and I got some lower level ticket to a Dodger/Astros game.

It wasn't a well attended game, so we were able to find the 'smoking section' quite easily.

As the game went on we moved closer to the Astros bullpen. The BP buts up against the last section and has a chain link fence and gate that allows you to see the players as the warm up.

During the game, when there is no one throwing, the players would take folding chairs and watch the game from behind the gate.

We are yelling shit at the players and Bochy starts to look over, so we start to ride his ass.

BBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEE...................

He looks, then looks away....

BBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEE.....

After about 15 minutes of this, he is staring..

BBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.......

By now, he had fucking bloody murder in his eyes and I told my friend, let's GTFO of here before the game ends, because this guy is gonna open that

gate and beat the shit out of both of us!!!!!

We left before the ninth inning laughing our asses off.

Dodger Stadium was always a great place to watch a game and have SOME kind of story to tell afterwards.

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 1

What was that "fan" trying to give Angel? And now I got Lonely Island's "Threw It On The Ground" in my head.

Watching a bit of the Mets/Phillies game. Lot of Mets fans made the trip to Philly. Still thinking they might be better off if they lose the wild card game, because the winner of that might become a mere speed bump for the Cubs. And should the Mets manage to get to the NLCS? Chase Utley. I hate that guy. He'd probably spike Bartolo into retirement.

A pal and I spent most of the 1980 season going to games.

We'd pick up tickets to odd games and about a month and a half, Picked up a pair for the second to last game of the season, a 7 p.m. start.

Later on, my pal tell me he picks up a pair for the Friday night game of that series.

As the season is coming to a close, the Dodgers are in the race against the Astros who just so happen to be their opponents that weekend.

In the mean time Kansas (the band) has a concert scheduled for that Saturday evening.

What to do? The race has come down to the Dodgers trailing the Astros by three games - all must win games to force a one game playoff.

I want to see Kansas, we figure that if the Dodgers win on Friday night, we go to the game on Saturday and scalp our Kansas tickets. IF the Dodgers lose, we go to Kansas and get rid of our Dodger tickets.

Fuck that....NBC asks the Dodgers to move the game to 10 a.m. so they can broadcast it as the "Game of the Week" - a 1 p.m. start for the East Coast.

-------

We get to the game on Friday night all lit up.  We were drinking Southern Comfort and something in the air made my eyes really red.

The stadium has a buzz - the fans were into it because Fernando is pitching - we got to our seats and watched the game - it goes to extra innings and Joe Ferguson hits a walk off homer in the 10th. The place goes crazy - I hugged people I didn't even know...

-----

Saturday? Wake up HUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNGGGGG over, Like not even on the planet hung over. My buddy picks me up and we get to the stadium.

Nolan Fucking Ryan is pitching for the 'stros and it doesn't look good for the Boys in Blue.

Steve Garvey hits a go ahead homer and the Dodgers win 2-1.  Again the place goes wild........Still alive.

-------

We go to my bud's house and have a BBQ, sit around and go to the Kansas concert that evening. It wasn't fun because we were tired and hung over.

Two baseball games and concert in 28 hours.

-------

Sunday comes and I watch part of the game and get ready to go to work. I jump on my bike and FLY to work, Just as I walk into the room, Ron Cey hits a two run homer, they win the game and tie the Houstons to force a one game play off on Monday in which the Dodgers get their asses kicked.

It was disappointing to see them lose, but it was a great fucking weekend that I'll never forget....it was better than playoff baseball and the only thing better was the 1983 AFC playoff, but that's another story.

• Love 1

Congrats to the NY Mets for getting the WC spot. This will be interesting considering the vaunted pitching staff ain't what it used to be. But Gsellman and Lugo could surprise and hopefully Noah stays healthy. The there's Big Papi 2.0 Bartolo Colon. I was at a Mets game a couple of weeks ago and Ynoa started and damn if he didn't strike out about 7 Twins. Yeah, it's the Twins but he still had to get them out. "TMI Terry" has a lot of manipulation to do.

mojoween, Yanks tied with O's right now. Tyler Austin tied it with a HR and Refsnyder had all 3 put outs in RF and showed a very accurate rocket arm to 3B. I am so curious to see what happens this off season and in Spring training. Tyler will prob compete with Bird but if Bird comes out good as he was before Ty has practically no chance. Romine 2 rbi now 5-3. Yeah baby. Man I love Romine even if he has Red Sox heritage. If Brian gets trade I hope Romine stays.

I really think Brett Gardner may get traded as well as McCann (great guy) and maybe even Headley. The pitching situation does preoccupy me. No Eovaldi and who knows what we get from Severino and CC. Does Greene come back healthy and is Cessa the real deal (I sure hope so). What about Judge?  Hmmm... 

Wow, the Giants sent out recent AAA callup Ty Blach to face Clayton Kershaw today in a must win game and not only did Ty hold his own against Clayton, going eight shutout innings (quickly!) but he also got two hits off of him! That was pretty incredible! The Giants may have been frustrating this second half but they feel ready now. Here's hoping they can pull off a win tomorrow, or old friend Ryan Vogelsong can help out in beating the Cards. 

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 1

Forgive me if I said this in the past . . . why would a team celebrate getting into a wild card game? Not even winning the thing, but getting to the game where they'd have to win for the honor of fending off the Cubs. I know the Mets probably haven't celebrated much this season (they'd need at least three cars to carry the injured players if they were to throw a World Series-winning parade), but I thought it was overkill.

4 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Forgive me if I said this in the past . . . why would a team celebrate getting into a wild card game? Not even winning the thing, but getting to the game where they'd have to win for the honor of fending off the Cubs. I know the Mets probably haven't celebrated much this season (they'd need at least three cars to carry the injured players if they were to throw a World Series-winning parade), but I thought it was overkill.

Why wouldn't they? You made it past the 162, your door is open to go the whole way. It's still the playoffs and you still did something that 20 teams did not do. Enjoy it and use the happy energy to help you through a long October. In my opinion, there's no reason NOT to celebrate accomplishments. The Mets did a great thing, and something that it didn't look like would be possible earlier in the season. Should they go home and sit on their hands instead? Are Mets fans not celebrating the opportunity to return to the postseason?

• Love 10

Lantern, I don't think it's overkill. For so long teams have suffered from the Yankee disease of not celebrating until you get to where you want to be. Well, ripple beat me to it. The history of the game is filled with greats who never won a damn thing like Ernie Banks and who knows if after a wild card, guys never win anything ever again. You need to celebrate and enjoy the moment because it would be a terrible feeling looking back at your career when it's over knowing that the one time you did experience a moment all you did was shrug it off as just being a stepping stone. 

Enjoying the feeling will keep you wanting more. 

• Love 4

There was what I thought was a super interesting piece on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show this week, about mechanizing balls and strikes calls. The technology is already in all the MLB parks.

They had a couple of different academics study the percentage of missed calls in every single game last year, and for the pitches that hit within 2 inches inside and out of the strike zone (as modified for each individual batter's stance), umps missed almost one-third. If expanded to three inches, it was better: 25% wrong. Home teams benefited by bad calls about 14 per game, compared to 3 bad calls in favor of the visiting team.

Retired ump Jerry Crawford bah-humbugged the whole thing, saying he thought umps got it right better than 90% of the time, but admitted that when the park turned over a disc with video of his calls (as is required after every game for the purposes of umpire training and development), he pitched it in the bin without ever looking at it.  Main proponent of the new scheme was MLB's Eric Byrnes, who demonstrated how it works in a minor league game: ump wears an earpiece, tech person monitoring the equipment both announces the pitch and hits a light out in centerfield, colored for ball or strike. The game moved right along, which is something even fielding replays don't manage. The home plate ump still calls plays, and still manages the progress of the game, so it's not like they'd have nothing to do. But Jerry said he'd feel unmanned.  On his side was Gumbel, who blah-blahed about 'keeping the integrity of the game' which seems ludicrous to me if what you consider integrity is wrong a third of the time. Byrnesie countered that everybody watching the game on tv or computer knows whether a pitch is in or out, so the only guy who doesn't is the guy responsible for calling it, which seems (to me, at least) like something correctable.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, tom87 said:

Always been solo for the most part.  Did alternating innings and radio with other announcers but solo in the booth..

I wish they did that in most place so they concentrated on the play on the field and not all the other things that pop in their heads.

Ugh, the Oakland A's announcers WILL NOT SHUT UP!

4 hours ago, bosawks said:

I always love watching the Toronto feed when they talk weather temps.

Buck:  "Just 13 degrees at the start of play tonight."

Me:. "Holy shit!"

Oh wait, that's only the mid fifties....

Psh.  Typical Bay Area night game. :)

• Love 1

I'll bite. How bad are the Oakland guys?

Thinking about it, maybe I was being too hard on the Mets. With ten out of 32 teams, getting to the playoffs is still tougher to achieve than the other (American) leagues.

Just now, Lantern7 said:

I'll bite. How bad are the Oakland guys?

Thinking about it, maybe I was being too hard on the Mets. With ten out of 32 teams, getting to the playoffs is still tougher to achieve than the other (American) leagues.

We have to hear about how Ray Fosse remembers playing in the stadium they're in, or in the stadium's predecessor, or about playing with the opposing manager, or playing with or against a player's father.

Ooh fun. Maybe they are trying to replicate 2011.

All I know is that I hope the MLB Network plays the Dodgers game again with Scully's call.  The New York football Giants don't play until tomorrow so my afternoon is wide open.  

I can always stream Texy's last game on the iPad.  

I love baseball.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ooh fun. Maybe they are trying to replicate 2011.

All I know is that I hope the MLB Network plays the Dodgers game again with Scully's call.  The New York football Giants don't play until tomorrow so my afternoon is wide open.  

I can always stream Texy's last game on the iPad.  

I love baseball.

From what I understand, no national network is carrying the game in full but MLB.TV is free this weekend so you would be able to stream it. I believe with all of the games on at once, MLB Network is jumping around and will likely land there from time to time. I know the San Francisco broadcast will be carrying Vin's call of the third inning today as well.

12 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

We have to hear about how Ray Fosse remembers playing in the stadium they're in, or in the stadium's predecessor, or about playing with the opposing manager, or playing with or against a player's father.

I bet Ray Fosse remember the Rose Bowl(over). 

21 hours ago, attica said:

There was what I thought was a super interesting piece on Bryant Gumbel's HBO show this week, about mechanizing balls and strikes calls. The technology is already in all the MLB parks.

They had a couple of different academics study the percentage of missed calls in every single game last year, and for the pitches that hit within 2 inches inside and out of the strike zone (as modified for each individual batter's stance), umps missed almost one-third. If expanded to three inches, it was better: 25% wrong. Home teams benefited by bad calls about 14 per game, compared to 3 bad calls in favor of the visiting team.

Retired ump Jerry Crawford bah-humbugged the whole thing, saying he thought umps got it right better than 90% of the time, but admitted that when the park turned over a disc with video of his calls (as is required after every game for the purposes of umpire training and development), he pitched it in the bin without ever looking at it.  Main proponent of the new scheme was MLB's Eric Byrnes, who demonstrated how it works in a minor league game: ump wears an earpiece, tech person monitoring the equipment both announces the pitch and hits a light out in centerfield, colored for ball or strike. The game moved right along, which is something even fielding replays don't manage. The home plate ump still calls plays, and still manages the progress of the game, so it's not like they'd have nothing to do. But Jerry said he'd feel unmanned.  On his side was Gumbel, who blah-blahed about 'keeping the integrity of the game' which seems ludicrous to me if what you consider integrity is wrong a third of the time. Byrnesie countered that everybody watching the game on tv or computer knows whether a pitch is in or out, so the only guy who doesn't is the guy responsible for calling it, which seems (to me, at least) like something correctable.

Minor League BB put in a '20 second clock' for pitchers - they have to pitch the ball once they hit the rubber within the 20 seconds. That moved the game along, but how does that affect the timing of a pitcher who has pitched without a clock in college?

While I don't mind an instant replay, why does everything have to come down to tech? I am waiting for a shortage of wood bats and the Majors going to aluminum bats? What will happen after a pitcher is killed when some monster shotguns his ass?

Why are we in such a hurry to make baseball faster? These jokers don't get paid by the hour? The concession stands stay open longer...........and the owners get fatter?

Edited by ElDosEquis
  • Love 1

I think this the second straight year where all fifteen games are being played at the same time. I saw the Mets' last game of the regular season last year. The 3 p.m. start time was easy for me to get there.

Goodbye Vin!

Goodbye Tex!

Adios, Prince Fielder. 

You were a nutball, AJ Pierzynski.

Bartolo? Coco? Ichiro? Jonny Gomes? Carlos Ruiz? Joe Nathan? Too many others haven't told us yet if they can take another 162.

Papi, David Ross - All the best for you both reaching the max in October.

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

Don't forget Dick Enberg!

Outside of San Diego, I don't think he's really associated with baseball, but he had a great career across a variety of sports. The tennis US Open, Enberg and Merlin Olsen doing the NFL, Enberg, Mcguire and Packer doing college basketball. . . Oh My!

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

Goodbye Vin!

Goodbye Tex!

Adios, Prince Fielder. 

Bartolo? Coco? Ichiro? Jonny Gomes? Carlos Ruiz? Joe Nathan? Too many others haven't told us yet if they can take another 162.

Goodbye Ryan Howard ( at least in a Phillies uniform) . Thanks Big Piece for all the good memories. The last remaining player from 08. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, King of Birds said:

Goodbye Vin!

Goodbye Tex!

Adios, Prince Fielder. 

From what's been said on Marlins broadcasts Ichiro wants to play until he's 50.

• Love 3

I cried all through Tex's goodbye ceremony and yet whenever I see Jennifer Steinbrenner I want to appraise the jewelry she is wearing.

Tex has a beautiful family.  I will miss his bat and I will SO miss his defense but the Yanks set themselves well up with Bird and Austin.  Be interesting to see how well Bird comes back from injury.

Last game of the year means it's time to change the flag on our outdoor pole from Yanks to Giants.  I hate changing the flag when the sport isn't done for the year

• Love 1

I grew up with Dick Enberg - He was the sports guy for KTLA and did radio on KMPC. In So Cal for years.

Dick on a transistor radio was the best.

Los Angeles has had Enberg, Bob Starr, Vin Scully, Chick Hearn - Bob Miller,  the El Lay Kings announcer is the old man in town with 43 years with the team.

I am not going to mention the assholes like Keith Olberman.....who just aren't worth shit.

5 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

The final day of the regular baseball season always makes me incredibly sad and today is no different.

I score games, it's incredibly fun and you can go back and relive some of the games/plays.

@Mittengirl

Should the Tigers win on Sunday against the Braves in Atlanta, and at least one of Baltimore or Toronto loses on Sunday, then Detroit will have to play on Monday at 1 p.m. ET, hosting the American League Central champion Indians to make up their rainout from Thursday.

What the Tigers need is to beat Atlanta on Sunday and hope that at least one of Baltimore or Toronto loses. Then the Tigers need to beat the Indians on Monday to force chaos.

Detroit would be on the road for any one-game playoff with Baltimore or Toronto. If there is a three-team tie between the Blue Jays, Orioles and Tigers for two Wild Card spots, the Tigers and Jays would battle Tuesday in Toronto for the top Wild Card spot, with the loser headed to play the Orioles on Wednesday for the second Wild Card spot.

• Love 1

The Orioles are doing their best to ruin all the fun.  Also they are ruining Tex's last game.  Jerks.

In other games going on Vin Scully's says "As I was sitting in the booth talking to Willie..."  

It's too much!  I can't take all of this retirement.

Just now, mojoween said:

The Orioles are doing their best to ruin all the fun.  Also they are ruining Tex's last game.  Jerks

It's what we do.  Which is okay by me.  

• Love 4

I actually don't hate the O's, I like Buck and Adam Jones is yum.  I just don't like the Yanks losing to anyone.  And people need to stop spraying champagne all over the visitors clubhouse dammit.

Michael Kay reported the Tigers were losing to the Braves in the same tone of voice you would report that your local high school team beat the '27 Yankees 10 to zero.  Poor Atlanta.

Edited by mojoween

Well, it's a wrap for the Yankees. mojoween and other NYY aficionados, YES put together a really nice tribute to the season. Even with the horrendous start, the ARod stuff, the back and forth from .500 and the trades there was a lot of good stuff that happened re great plays, moments etc. Hopefully the YES site will have it because it was very nice. The team has a lot of work to do but Yankee fans have much to look forward to. 

Cessa did a nice job even with giving up Wieders HR. He has the stuff. Reminds me of Andy Pettitte somehow. 

Oh and BTW,Good Bye Tigers. The "lowly" Braves effed them up but good. If I have to root for a team in the AL it's Baltimore because I have some love in my heart for them from the great 60's/70's teams. 

6 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I actually don't hate the O's, I like Buck and Adam Jones is yum.  I just don't like the Yanks losing to anyone.  And people need to stop spraying champagne all over the visitors clubhouse dammit.

Michael Kay reported the Tigers were losing to the Braves in the same tone of voice you would report that your local high school team beat the '27 Yankees 10 to zero.  Poor Atlanta.

I totally agree with that sentiment.  There are teams I don't hate that aren't mine, but I still don't want my team to ever lose to them.  Unfortunately, your team isn't one of those teams :-)

(And I apologize for the grammar - or lack thereof - in that sentence, but Adam Jones is dancing on my TV right now...)

• Love 1

They were just talking about the playoffs on MLB Net and mentioned the Rangers and I was like "eh who's that now?" because I completely forgot about the west.  

AL Least huh?  I don't think so.

Vin Scully was amazing I wanted more.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, scriggle said:

Yes, it would. ?

I figured it was worth asking. Rock on!

So, I am rooting for O's vs Jays. And since I don't like Texas I can see myself rooting for Jays if it comes to pass. No brainer is Cleveland over BoSox. Dicey at best, but... 

NL...in order, Mets or Cubs. That's all, folks.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1