Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Mets. WTF. I know you're not my team and all, but it's still my birthday for an hour so could you stop sucking now please?

Happy Birthday!!  I was out for my best friend's birthday, so I was (sorta) happy that the Mets won last night so I wouldn't miss the last game of the season.  Worked out well...  

Hope you enjoyed your day!

Those Royals are impressive.  They keep getting on base and hitting each other home.  A couple of very impressive double plays last night.  My husband wanted to play a drinking game:  one shot for every time Joe Buck said something stupid.  I couldn't.  Had to pass out candy.  Tonight's game should be exciting.

The hubby and I are just not feeling the World Series this year.  We've watched previous years, but this year, when we have the game on, it's just background noise.  Outside of the Nationals games on MASN, we really don't follow the other teams (although my dad will let me know how the Cardinals are doing since he's been a Cardinals fan since he was a kid).  We've watched a few innings of the games, but usually find something else to watch once the Dh starts channel surfing during commercials.

I'm somewhat curious about the Mets next season.  I'm wondering if they will continue to play well or if it is a thing where their pitchers were somewhat unknown this year and next year other teams will know how to hit off of them since they've seen them for the past year.  If we're lucky, maybe SI can proclaim them most likely to win the World Series next year and jinx their season like they did the Nationals this year.

• Love 2

Thanks for the birthday wishes! The weather was nice and I got $50 in Barnes & Noble gift cards so it was all good.

If KC is going to take it all, I hope the Mets win tonight so the Royals fans can celebrate at home.

• Love 2

My issue isn't even that he argued his way to another inning. Although I agree you have to let the manager manage. My issue is after Harvey allowed the walk he wasn't pulled. He should have had like no wiggle room. Collins has made some very questionable calls this series.

• Love 4
My issue is after Harvey allowed the walk he wasn't pulled. He should have had like no wiggle room.

Somewhere Grady Little is shaking his head in commiseration. But yeah--he should have been yanked the moment the first batter reached base.

But congrats to KC! They were so bad for so long, I'm happy to see them turn it around and go all the way.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

My darling Boys of Summer:

#Esky, #ZMan, #LoCain, #Hozmerine, #Moose, #CubanBreakfast, #Gordo, #Salvy, #Rios, #EasyEd, #JohnnyBCueto, #AceVentura, #LongTallChris, #Hoch, #Kelvy, #DirtySouth, #MIddleFingers...and all others not listed because I'm bawling my eyes out...

WORLD CHAMPIONS, BABY!!!!

• Love 1

For the record, I gave up after the three-run double. I couldn't take it anymore. Saw Robot Chicken on DVR, and came in just in time to see the Royals clinch. I don't bare them much ill will, though I think this was more of a case of the Mets handing the Royals win after win. And does anybody else think that Terry Collins will be fired for leaving Harvey in the game? Grady Little had to walk the plank back in '03.

Seriously, I'm over it. I'm betting the Mets don't resign Cespedes or Murphy, they won't build on the pennant win, and the Royals will have more of a future than them. Oh, and the first series of the year? In Kansas City, meaning that whoever's left from this year's team will have to watch the Royals get their rings. Another punch in the gut.

I can't explain why I latched on to KC the way I did last year other than they are so much fun to watch, play small ball, and make the fundamentals count.  With apologies to my Queens roots this was the most enjoyable WS outcome for me since the Braves won it in 1995.

We have an office in Lenexa, KS, which is a Kansas City suburb, and my friends there are going to be deliriously happy (though very tired) this morning.

• Love 3

So I fell asleep on the couch after Harvey got out of the 8th..woke up in the 12th with the game tied. I literally said out loud "the Mets just lost" turned off the tv and went to bed. The only thing I thought wrong was that Collins didnt put Harvey back in and went with Familia...but apparently Hrvey did go back out? Either way, man what a way to lose a World Series. Leading 3 games after the 8th. Smh. Makes me feel just a tad bit better about being a Yankee fan. Hehe.

Congrats to KC though. They definitely took advantage of Mets mistakes and played well.

• Love 1

I think Collins was right to send Harvey back out there but should have pulled him immediately after he gave up that opening walk.

I'm disappointed for my friends who are Mets fans.

But I congratulate KC though.  Back in the 90s, I thought they would never sniff so much as a playoff spot ever again.  But they've built a great team and deserved to win.  Their good hitting was better than the Mets good pitching and their pitching was better than the Mets hitting too.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Congrats to the Royals, I was quietly rooting for them.  Mostly due to the fact that Ned Yost was a friend of Dale Earnhardt's and Dale was my favorite driver.

Plus I played all Cespedes cards in my Topps app Contest yesterday.  I hope his knee is ok.

(Small voice let's go Nats and O's next year.)

• Love 1

I've been up all night, listening to the local sportstalk guys on my computer, wishing -- WISHING! -- to be home with everyone.  Someone tweeted: "I feel like Jim Valvano, running around, looking for a Royals fan to hug!"  Exactly.

• Love 1

Since I'm on the west coast (the best coast) just about 10 minutes ago I looked up at the clock and ALMOST went to look for scores.  East coast games, I normally would either check box scores - or turn on the Red Sox game around now.

I'm officially bummed now.

Well Morneau of the Rockies option was picked up so he's no longer a FA.  (Love watching MLB Network)

PLus Torii Hunter is retired so I don't think he'll be signing anywhere.

Barry Zito is retired.

as is Jeremy Affeldt and I think Tim Hudson.

Plus Lincecum has serious injury issues.

and the Nationals FA list makes me wanna cry if we lose a couple of them.  (Plus the O's list also makes me wanna cry.

But I would love to see Price and/or Cueto in the Washington linup

Edited by jennifer6973

And that list doesn't have Greinke, who opted out. He'll get look$.

I think beside the Free Agents, next step is the guys on the 60 Day DL come off on ... Friday?  and teams have to release / adjust for the 40 man rosters. Fun! Like bosawks said: time for the hot stove!

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1

No way Alderson sits back this off season. Mets need to shore up defensively. Murphy should go and Cespedes will probably ask for too much money/years. Who knows just how hurt he may be. Mets  are going to have to trade a pitcher depending on how well Wheeler does on his return. That will be a hard decision but that's what it will take if they want to add bats.

Michael Kay said that they should hire Gary Tuck who was the Yanks catchers coach. He improved Brian McCann's throwing out baserunners percentage from his normal high teens all the way up to 30 something. D'Arnaud cannot throw guys out and he needs to improve.   

Enjoy it all, Met fans. You done good. Yeah it sucks that you lost but some serious tweaking will get you back to WS.

Not sure about this. I'm willing to give him he benefit of the doubt, but I think Black would have been the better choice because of his pitching experience. I just hope they get really good hitting and pitching coaches. It seemed like when they were pitching well, they couldn't hit anything and when they hit well the pitchers forgot how to throw the ball.

Dusty Baker was named the manager in Washington. Thoughts, Nats fans?

Personally I think it's cool.  I've heard of him before and I think I sorta know his history.  But I'm the kind of person who would have thought Cal Ripkin Jr would have been a cool manager.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of cool I think the Kansas City and surrounding school distrcts giving the students the day off is pretty cool.

Edited by jennifer6973

Personally I think it's cool.  I've heard of him before and I think I sorta know his history.  But I'm the kind of person who would have thought Cal Ripkin Jr would have been a cool manager.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of cool I think the Kansas City and surrounding school distrcts giving the students the day off is pretty cool.

There was a part of me that was hoping for Ripken.  He doesn't have managerial experience, but he knows the game.  I'm guessing whenever the Orioles lose their manager, he will be at the top of the list.