Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Let me guess . . . the knuckleball was malfunctioning today. I read Dickey's book . . . he opened with the time the rotation of the ball was off when he was with the Rangers, and he gave up four homers in an inning.

As a Cubs fan, I'm oddly at peace now with how this horrific playoff series is going.  For once, since god knows when, I truly believe in next year. It's not a lament, or a woeful plea despite all evidence in front of my eyes.  It is, I dare say, optimism.  They need more pitching and other things here and there. It's why I never thought that this year was to be, although, my goodness, that would have been wonderful. They've been building this team and this system since Theo arrived (in nearly soul-crushing means for fans in the stands), and now, well, maybe they'll go crazy the next couple of days, but if not, I'm looking forward to having so much fun watching this team for the next several years.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2

Here's hoping, I'd be pulling for the Cubs, but they're going up against the Mets, and those guys have been playing out of their minds. I never would've guessed they'd win at Wrigley.

Fun fact: the Mets will open their 2016 season at Kansas City. Weird, right?

• Love 1

I hate knowing things about athletes that you would never consider with other random strangers. I would love to get behind Murphy and root for him, but from his comments about homosexuality, he and I could never ever be friends. And it shouldn't matter when it comes to his ability to put a bat on a ball, but to me, it does.

This is why you should never click links on Facebook.

• Love 11

Hoping Jays beat KC today and the rest of the way because KC scares the crap out of me. They are relentless with their comebacks, speed, hits and what all. Jays match up better for Mets as I think their pitching can stifle the big bats of Toronto. KC just has too many good hitters who hit for average (so I was told) and I think those kinds of good hitters can work havoc on a pitching staff.

But really, I still believe in good pitching beating good hitting so I do believe the Metropolitans will be driving down the Canyon. 

Oh and can David Wright become The Man for the remainder of this run?  It should be him, not Murphy who takes them to the promised land.

I'm not taking anything for granted. Also, I don't know how much of a fan I am, because I feel the greater need to watch Survivor and Arrow.  If the game is out of hand on either side, I'll watch South Park as well. I took The Challenge over SP once because I thought I could watch the latter at midnight. That was the time Comedy Central ran "201" the one time, and it took me years to catch that episode on DVD.

And I don't know about the Mets winning it all, even if they sweep the Cubs and the ALCS goes seven games. I honestly feel that the team is playing with house money since late July. They overachieve at just the right times, and the agita-inducing moments have been fewer than expected. If the miracle does happen, I'd be up for a get-together in NYC to celebrate.

ETA: How come the NLCS has to be on prime time 2-3 nights in a row? It would be easier for me if the leagues traded time slots. Right now, there's only one day game for the NLCS, and that's if the ALCS goes 7.

I get that, Mojo, because not too long ago I read that John Smoltz has said negative things on the same subject and it definitely clouded my view of him.

Oh that's sad to hear. My cousin and his wife send their children to ridiculously expensive schools. It's a financial sacrifice, and their cars, home, etc. are clearly inferior to the other families. Even so, a few years back my cousin's wife sat through her child's soccer match and talked with John Smoltz, whose child attended the same school. She thought him kind and down to earth. Of course that doesn't exclude racism, and there's plenty here in Atlanta - blatant and latent.

Edited because spelling is important.

Edited by RedheadZombie

Congratulations to the Blue Jays for forcing Game 6. All they have to do is go down to Kansas City and win two in perhaps the most boisterous atmosphere in the game today.

From the Department Of Not Wanting To Jinx Things: If the Mets win tonight or tomorrow, how many Mets fans will get hugged by Terry Collins afterward?

Harold has fans?

*raises hand* I love his voice and he's pretty to look at. I also find him amusing. He once narrated a rookie running to first in a walk like he'd just hit the game winning home run, and he had me in stitches. But I always go for high energy talkers - I still have flashbacks to the agony of Skip Caray. I like the announcers others pick on: Steve Stone, Tim McCarver, Joe Buck, Chip Caray. I like a mix of professional announcers, and former players - preferably pitcher or catcher. I don't mind being talked down to (frequent criticism of McCarver) because newbies need that info, and it makes me feel smart that I already know it. Obviously it's all about me.

Damned spelling

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 1

I dont think Harold is too bad i think hes better than Buck.I hate Joe Buck especially calling baseball games ,but I dislike his football calls too. He's my second least favorite baseball announcer only second to Chris Wheeler the former Phillies announcers, who announced like he played professional baseball but never did. He once said something along the lines of "he wants his foward momentum going home" about a guy on third base. He was so bad that I was certain he had like dirty secrets of the Phillies owners and president. He was finally let go when the Phillies signed their new tv deal and it was a happy day. There were also rumors that he was trying to force Richie Ashburn out and because of that beloved Phillies announcer Harry Kalas hated him.

Edited by shoregirl

Aww Redhead you almost had me but I cannot abide Chip Caray no way.

I loved Dan Shulman on the radio saying "just listen to the ovation for {Blue Jays pitcher whose name escapes me}" and then he did. He just stayed quiet so those of us listening on the radio could revel in it.

• Love 4

You know, it is possible to talk about a team down three/zip without bringing up 2004. I'm just saying. It can be done.

Maybe by you.  But certainly not by anyone in the sports media.

This game is not going in a direction that would have me watching another game tomorrow night.  Booooooo

I would love to get behind Murphy and root for him, but from his comments about homosexuality, he and I could never ever be friends.

Ugh.  I will definitely not be jumping on the Murphy bandwagon for this very reason.  Still rooting for the Mets, though.  (Very sad to hear Smoltz has expressed that same bs.  I had always liked him.)

• Love 1

Congrats to all the Mets fans, and good luck going forward!  Your team was simply better in this series against my Cubs. No curses against us, your team was the  better team this year. 

Also, I'm looking forward to any and/or all of you trolling juke boxes in Chicago bars with Mets songs....let us know what song you'll choose and I'll listen for it and raise a glass if I hear it.  Cheers to you all!

PS....we're coming.....okay, that doesn't sound quite right.....just looking for something that says something other than "wait til next year".

Edited by pennben
  • Love 1

Whew.

Got to the game today, and am glad I didn't have to see my Jays eliminated and got to send them off to Kansas with a cheer and some hope.

Estrada was absolutely lights out. Unbelievable performance with his back up against the wall.

Glad I got to see a win in the postseason in person.

• Love 5

Whew.

Got to the game today, and am glad I didn't have to see my Jays eliminated and got to send them off to Kansas with a cheer and some hope.

Estrada was absolutely lights out. Unbelievable performance with his back up against the wall.

Glad I got to see a win in the postseason in person.

Friendly FYI - Missouri not Kansas.  

• Love 1

You know, it is possible to talk about a team down three/zip without bringing up 2004. I'm just saying. It can be done.

HA!  Best mojoween post ever!

But lets not get into that -  Right now, it's all about the Mets. Congrats to those who cheer for the Metropolitans!

• Love 1

I did not enjoy the Cubs losing like I thought I would. Of course I will only acknowledge this cloaked in anonymity. I Don't want my Cardinals fan badge revoked. ;-)

The Cubs will be that more experienced next year, and have a postseason under their belt. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Go Mets!

I did not enjoy the Cubs losing like I thought I would. Of course I will only acknowledge this cloaked in anonymity. I Don't want my Cardinals fan badge revoked. ;-)

The Cubs will be that more experienced next year, and have a postseason under their belt. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Go Mets!

That is ok I enjoyed it enough for the both of us.   :)

• Love 3

Oh I know it's in Missouri, do people not do shorthand for the city and always call it Kansas City?

Sorry if that's the case, honest mistake. I shall remember for the future.

KC would be its shorten nickname.

Edited by tom87

Well. I didn't see this coming. I don't think Nostradamus would have predicted this. For the third time in my life, the Mets will be playing in the World Series. Un-bee-freakin'-livable.

I still don't know if I could be considered to be a "true" Mets fan, given how I refused to wait out three shows. I might do it again next week, and watch The Amazing Race when the Series comes to Citi Field next Friday. I'm saying this not to irritate . . . I know I'm not as big a fan as I was in '86. But I'm enjoying the ride. And I'm guessing the average Mets fan would give Daniel Murphy a pass if it was revealed that he's been on a puppy-and-kitten diet. Here's hoping David Wright -- the one long-time Met everybody likes -- shines in his first World Series.

BTW, I vote "no" on wearing the special shirts and masks before the final out. Even when you're up by five runs, you do not fuck with the fates. While I'm at it . ..  no champagne after a LDS win. Oh, and to the Royals and Blue Jays? Take your time. Take it to seven games, guys.

So the 30 for 30 is already written before the Series is even over right? They can start with Wilmer's tears to the disaster against San Diego two days later to the trade deadline to the trouncing of the Nats and throw in Smoltz talking about how the pitching rotation is better than the Braves ever had. I would totally watch it.

They gave a list of Murphy's against the Cubs and it was very amusing - the goat is named Murphy, there were two Murphy's on the '69 Mets, there was a bad playoff loss at Jack Murphy Stadium, and one other I can't remember, someone from the '40's.

So the 30 for 30 is already written before the Series is even over right? They can start with Wilmer's tears to the disaster against San Diego two days later to the trade deadline to the trouncing of the Nats and throw in Smoltz talking about how the pitching rotation is better than the Braves ever had. I would totally watch it.

You forgot the "secret" human sacrifice!

Even when you're up by five runs, you do not fuck with the fates.

Even if you don't believe in fate, it's just really bad manners. Phooey.

in my local market, the first ad after the Mets won was for Modell's sporting goods chain, who told us they were open RIGHT NOW so you could get your Mets-won-the-pennant gear without waiting for daybreak. I feel for the store's cashiers, who undoubtedly had to cope with people barging in straight from sports bars.

• Love 1

Well. I didn't see this coming. I don't think Nostradamus would have predicted this. For the third time in my life, the Mets will be playing in the World Series. Un-bee-freakin'-livable.

I still don't know if I could be considered to be a "true" Mets fan, given how I refused to wait out three shows. I might do it again next week, and watch The Amazing Race when the Series comes to Citi Field next Friday. I'm saying this not to irritate . . . I know I'm not as big a fan as I was in '86. But I'm enjoying the ride. And I'm guessing the average Mets fan would give Daniel Murphy a pass if it was revealed that he's been on a puppy-and-kitten diet. Here's hoping David Wright -- the one long-time Met everybody likes -- shines in his first World Series.

I am not even a Mets fan, or a fan of any of the teams left, but I haven't missed any of these games. You gotta do playoff baseball live! 

I AM excited for the Mets and their fans though. There are a lot of likable guys on that team and they've been very enjoyable to watch this postseason. It hasn't been hard to stay invested in this postseason with them around. Go all the way, Mets! 

• Love 2

I'm not taking anything for granted. Also, I don't know how much of a fan I am, because I feel the greater need to watch Survivor and Arrow.  If the game is out of hand on either side, I'll watch South Park as well. I took The Challenge over SP once because I thought I could watch the latter at midnight. That was the time Comedy Central ran "201" the one time, and it took me years to catch that episode on DVD.

And I don't know about the Mets winning it all, even if they sweep the Cubs and the ALCS goes seven games. I honestly feel that the team is playing with house money since late July. They overachieve at just the right times, and the agita-inducing moments have been fewer than expected. If the miracle does happen, I'd be up for a get-together in NYC to celebrate.

ETA: How come the NLCS has to be on prime time 2-3 nights in a row? It would be easier for me if the leagues traded time slots. Right now, there's only one day game for the NLCS, and that's if the ALCS goes 7.

Because of the Canadian Market. we don't really draw money for y'all, so given the choice, US TV markets put us in the early game, and the prime time for the NLCS. (which - trust me a lot of people up here are cranky pants about). now that the Mets swept - it makes you wonder if Friday/Saturday (yes, Virginia, there will be a game seven :D ), if they will be prime time slots. 

Congratulations to the Blue Jays for forcing Game 6. All they have to do is go down to Kansas City and win two in perhaps the most boisterous atmosphere in the game today.

Here's a hopin!

Wow Toronto Blue Jays. Why are you making it so hard for yourself and us by losing and losing then coming back. But you did awesome and if anything, have a flair for the dramatic!

*crosses fingers for game 6*

LOL I swear it's a Toronto thing. Name the team, and they make things unnecessarily dramatic  LOL

Marco Estrada was awesome. I wish we could clone him. 

Aww Redhead you almost had me but I cannot abide Chip Caray no way.

I loved Dan Shulman on the radio saying "just listen to the ovation for {Blue Jays pitcher whose name escapes me}" and then he did. He just stayed quiet so those of us listening on the radio could revel in it.

Estrada :) 

OK Cubs, it was a great run.

Not a proponent of "next year should be great " for any team, you get the job done when you have the opportunity before you, because it might not come around again.

Baseball is such a heart and ball breaker.

Mets look good but the East Coast sports media ( yes in the West coast we believe in this evil coalition) is going to be fucking unbearable.

Its all about the money.   Mets/Cubs two of the biggest metropolitan areas in the US.   Blue Jays outside the US and KC a medium level market.

Even if you don't believe in fate, it's just really bad manners. Phooey.

in my local market, the first ad after the Mets won was for Modell's sporting goods chain, who told us they were open RIGHT NOW so you could get your Mets-won-the-pennant gear without waiting for daybreak. I feel for the store's cashiers, who undoubtedly had to cope with people barging in straight from sports bars.

No self respecting sports fan would ever buy from anyone / place named 'Modell'.

(Says this Cleveland fan shaking her fist down toward the hot spot old Artie is spending eternity in)

• Love 2

Aww Donny Baseball come home. New York still wants you.

That's exactly how one of my exes (a great guy but a Yankees fan, so clearly we had no real future:)) put it when he emailed me last night..  I can't disagree - I love Don Mattingly.

• Love 2