Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Dear American League,

re: Toronto vs Texas. 

THESE are the BEST umpires you can provide to the great game of baseball???

I think you can do better.

I'm reading this just as Harold Reynolds is saying what a great job this crew has done all series...

Texas can't really take umbrage with the umps though, they're the ones who booted three balls in a row.

KC and Houston, good luck being half as entertaining.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

It reminded me of when the great Audra McDonald dropped her mic after singing the closing song on the Tony Awards telecast a few years ago.

An Audra reference here!  Yay!!!

I was listening on ESPN radio and Rick Sutcliffe was incensed about the call in the top of the inning.  Even after Dan told him it was probably right (although Dan couldn't find it in the rule book, because it turns out his rule book had a paragraph missing - go figure), Rick wouldn't stop saying the call was wrong because of common sense.  Or something.  It was quite an entertaining broadcast.  I love baseball on the radio.

• Love 1

Plus, well plus a lot.  I still miss Bob Murphy.

As a kid, I watched a lot of Met games on TV - WOR 9 - back when it was Bob, Ralph, and Lindsey alternating between TV and radio, and I'll admit Bob wasn't my favorite.  Years later, when I mostly listened to games on the radio, I really grew to appreciate just how good he was.  And I'll never forget "The Mets win the ballgame. They win the damn thing by a score of 10-9."

• Love 1

Wow. Congrats Toronto Blue Jays!! That was amazing. And Jose Bautista - the shot of him hitting the home run, glaring at the field, then flinging his bat back in a definitive "Fuck you!" was the BEST!!!

I'm from Toronto and we are definitely a bandwagon city. Prior to this, we could barely fill the Rogers Center . Now, tickets are sold out and scalping for huge bucks.

The crowd noise in the Rogers Center was insane. And I have never ever seen a team celebrate like this for what was essentially a semi-final win. I swear, this was like a team who won a SuperBowl.

But so many Torontonians and GTA-ians are walking around wearing their Jays jerseys and are totally into baseball.

And honestly - if Toronto lost by one point - especially after that crazy 7th inning call...I fully expected rioting in downtown. I really did.

ETA: Munenori Kawasaki just gave the BEST interview ever (SportsNet). I was in tears in laughter. That guy is AWESOME!

ETA Again!: I guess most of the people here aren't seeing the SportsNet broadcasts that I am - there are fans still in the stadium, singing the tune to that "OLÉ, OLÉ" song, but totally upbeat, and singing instead "JOSE! JOSE!" OMG, We are the BEST!

ETA Three: Quiz? How many bottles of champagne were sprayed over the Blue Jay players tonight? Hint. All of the players spraying each other with champagne right after they won. Then dumping entire bottles on each player. Then running along the field edge, cheering with the fans, and spraying THEM with booze. Then in the locker room, MORE booze. The players are wearing ski masks, everyone is soaked, and Toronto is happy.

• Love 4

It's not going to happen. . . but what would happen if MLB decided to uphold Toronto's protest?

First off, almost no protests are upheld. MLB backs their umps vehemently. Even if there was a problem with the officiating (and IMO there wasn't here) it's unlikely the protest would've been upheld.

Secondly, almost every team withdraws their protest upon winning the game. Gibbons withdrew the Jays protest when they won. So there is no protest effectively now.

But let's suppose there still is a protest for the purposes of your question.

The short answer is that the League would apologize but it wouldn't affect the game.

The game is only affected if the Commissioner feels that the play under protest directly affected the protesting team's ability to win the game. Since the Jays were the protesting team and they won, the play obviously didn't affect their ability to win.

Now let's assume the Rangers won the game. In this case if Commissioner felt that the play did affect the Jays ability to win and the protest was upheld then the game would be replayed from the point of the contested play. Essentially they would restart the game in the top of the 7th inning, with the score at 2-2, Odor on 3rd, and Choo at the plate with a 2-2 count and 2 outs in the inning.

Also. MY JAYS WON!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!! Ok I'm done. Thanks for indulging me everyone.

Also also, I do hope everyone realizes that most Torontonians are not jerks who would throw things from the upper deck. When the Leafs lost back in 2013, we all went home quietly and were sad, when the Raptors lost last year we all went home quietly and were sad. This was just an unfortunate anomaly, and what I hope were reletively few jerks in a crowd of 50,000.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 5
I do hope everyone realizes that most Torontonians are not jerks who would throw things from the upper deck. <snip> This was just an unfortunate anomaly

I can't think of many games with crowds getting unruly and throwing things at baseball games- but most of the time it happens when the umpiring is very bad, and first, the players get pissy and managers come out and argue and all that happens, and then some shitty stuff happens and the crowds get to a point where it's like "lets unload."   (Even when the call on the field is correct or reversed. Like when Yankee Stadium went nuts after ARod was called out for slapping the ball out of Arroyo's glove)

Congrats to the Blue Jays, Cubs and Royals. 

PS- that is one helluva prediction there, tom87!

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 1
Also. MY JAYS WON!!!! YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!! Ok I'm done. Thanks for indulging me everyone.

Also also, I do hope everyone realizes that most Torontonians are not jerks who would throw things from the upper deck. When the Leafs lost back in 2013, we all went home quietly and were sad, when the Raptors lost last year we all went home quietly and were sad. This was just an unfortunate anomaly, and what I hope were reletively few jerks in a crowd of 50,000.

Yeah, I totally concur. Hell Yeah Jays!! When I heard about the idiots throwing beer cans (not allowed into the SkyDome aka Rogers Centre!!), I was like, SERIOUSLY!! I expect better from Toronto fans in any sport. We are Canadian - we have a reputation to maintain......

Anyway, honestly, the response really didn't surprise me. I think back to the fallout from the Vancouver Canucks losing the Stanley Cup a few years ago, but I thought, if those fan bastards can burn a city like that...Toronto has no chance.

• Love 1

"Looks like we maaaaade it...."

Sorry. Really. My brain just works that way. 

"Oh Joey, you waited that ball you were takin'

It was low and away

Oh Joey

But the next one was history makin'

for those Toronto Blue Jays

Oh Joey."

• Love 5

That awkward moment when SportsCenter forgets that Buster Posey exists.

SportsCenter @SportsCenter
Maya Moore's 1st 5 seasons… 3 titles, MVP award & ROY award.

No NHL, NFL, MLB or NBA player has ever done that.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 2
I could even make a lame "down at the Rogers, the Rogers Centre" joke but I won't.

Hee. SkyDome, man. Always the SkyDome. The "Rogers Center" has been forced upon us, but it shall forever be know as the SkyDome!! *grin*

(Seriously. Everytime I mention where the Jays home field is, I immediately think/blurt out SkyDome then have to correct myself and say the Rogers Centre - it just doesn't sit well, isn't right. But yeah, SkyDome to a lot of us!!).

(edited)

"Oh Joey, you waited that ball you were takin'

It was low and away

Oh Joey

But the next one was history makin'

for those Toronto Blue Jays

Oh Joey."

Can I just say how embarrassed I am that it took me a minute to remember what song this is parodying?(I was 8 or 9 when "Mandy" came out.)

And thanks for the earworm...I think.

Edited by smittykins

We could sing the Mets song (that I learned from watching "Everybody Loves Raymond."):

Beat the Mets!  Beat the Mets!  Come on everybody and beat the Mets!  East side - west side.....

LOL

Here you go...

And for extra measure...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Uaor3RBcE

I gotta say, as a Yankee fan I like the Mets song much better. Really fun video. Mets fans, embrace your loser history. All teams have them. Makes you appreciate where you are now. 

Edited by prican58

How I know I'm a Mets fan: I wait until the third out of the game before informing my mother of the victory. Had I not waited and the Dodgers came back, I would never have heard the end of it. Special thanks to Daniel Murphy for making tonight happen the way it did.

Who would've guessed the Mets would make the NLCS? And they have home field! Granted, the Cubs had the better regular season record, and I'm nervous about the Mets making history as the team that let the Cubs make their first World Series in seventy years . . . but you know what? Not This Year. Hashtag that and let it go viral. Let's Go Mets!!!

• Love 3

I'm torn about the NLCS.  On one hand how can anyone not want to see the Cubs end 107 years of futility but on the other hand I grew up a few miles from Shea Stadium so it would feel weird rooting against the "home" team even though I no longer live anywhere near there.   Joe Maddon may be the deciding variable.

I have a lot of friends who are Mets fans so I'm happy for them.  Mets and Cubs should be a ridiculous amount of fun and is a great match-up.

Mattingly was my favorite player as a kid so I'm bummed because this likely looks like his last chance to get to a World Series.

Turns out the Mets went 0-7 against the Cubs in the regular season. On the bright side, that happened before July 31 and the resurgence. Also, four of the seven games were decided by one run, and a fifth went to extra innings.

• Love 1