Type keyword(s) to search

Fuller House Continuation/Spinoff/? Anticipation Discussion

I don't understand why Stamos is making a big deal about the Olsens not wanting to participate in the spinoff.  They haven't acted in years, or even shown much public interest in Full House.  If Michelle is such an integral part of the spinoff, just recast her, no one will care as much as Stamos thinks they will.

He's making a big deal of it because THEY did first.  Go back and read the stories about them pretending they hadn't heard about the project.

• Love 1

If Elizabeth Olsen wasn't just in a huge blockbuster movie, I'd say get her to play Michelle. She looks enough like them to be an older Michelle that got better looking. Then they can always go with Michelle moved to LA and became a successful movie star. 

• Love 1

He's making a big deal of it because THEY did first.  Go back and read the stories about them pretending they hadn't heard about the project.

I don't think it's a big deal that they pretended to be unaware of the continuation.  It's a show that they've been over for nearly two decades, and instead of Stamos saying he wished them the best in the first place, he made an all out production out what they said.

I say recast Michelle with whoever is the best actor for the part.  If it's an unknown, so be it.

Probably responding more to the headline of this one, but I am:

http://www.people.com/article/fuller-house-jodie-sweetin-talks-mary-kate-olsen-ashley-olsen-absence?xid=rss-topheadlines

I'm so glad Jodie can overlook the Olsens' joint decision to, you know, live their lives. Doing what they enjoy doing. Making a (very nice) living in the process.

Sheesh. I really have no investment in these people and have no interest in this reboot. I'm glad those who want to do it (or, more likely, have nothing else going on) have the chance to do that. But seriously. The Olsens have moved on. It's okay.

'm so glad Jodie can overlook the Olsens' joint decision to, you know, live their lives. Doing what they enjoy doing. Making a (very nice) living in the process. 

Yeah, but honestly, what else is she SUPPOSED to say?  I doubt she spontaneously blurted this out--she was asked.  If she's all "no comment" it sounds like she's got a gripe with them and just doesn't want to talk about it. 

Netflix is looking to cast Kimmy's cheating ex-husband, the "inappropriately passionate" (?) Fernando, as well as Danny's new wife Teri, a vivacious 40-year-old black woman. Help me, God.

In theory there's nothing wrong with this.  In practice, it sounds like it's going to be horrible.

1.) A dead husband for DJ, and so the big bag of cliches with that

2.) a cheating ex with Kimmy, and so the big bag of cliches with that

3.) Danny married to a woman who's what?  A year older or so than his oldest daughter?  Haha.  I can already smell both the jokes and yet also some cheesy "life lessons".

4.) The race of Danny's wife shouldn't have to be an issue, and yet come on.  How many black women have any of us met named "Teri"? Okay, I'm sure a few exist, but it just seems like some cobbled together silly character with no bite of reality to her at all.  Oh wait, here's a "Terrycina".  I bet any amount of money that Danny's Teri won't be a "Terrycina".  I'm thinking "African-American Valley Girl".  I'm calling it now.  They could even cast Stacey Dash (although she's a tad too old and actually from the Bronx).

(edited)

For Teri, the name some people have thrown around in comments sections is Aisha Tyler.

And as far as that character goes, I don't care about the "black" part except that it just seems like a very transparent attempt by them to be more modern and diverse. My eyes rolled more at the "40 years old" thing. Er, yeah.

Edited by Chicken Wing
(edited)

For Teri, the name some people have thrown around in comments sections is Aisha Tyler.

And as far as that character goes, I don't care about the "black" part except that it just seems like a very transparent attempt by them to be more modern and diverse. My eyes rolled more at the "40 years old" thing. Er, yeah.

Yeah, I get that the lily white world of Full House would probably get screamed and yelled at for "lack of diversity" these days, but you are correct that it seems like transparent manipulation to 'cast black' vs. lets say... casting colorblind (where she could wind up black, but then why the hell is it in a character brief?).

Although lets say if they ALREADY had cast Aisha Tyler (if it isn't just fan speculation/wishmaking) then in my opinion there's even LESS reason to include her color/race in a character description.  I mean unless they plan on having her come in, acting all "black", like some stereotype.  This isn't the 1980s.  Her race is irrelevant. It shouldn't even be a plot point, a source of conflict, or the cause of more than a casual joke or two.

Then again you get the sense of some weird sense of priorities telling us she's DJs age.  I mean what the fuck?  Not saying it doesn't happen, but lord is "My stepmom did/could have gone to school with me!" a cheap brand of sitcom fodder.  I mean unless DJ has been de-aged or something.  Like a lot.

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Aisha Tyler hasn't been cast (as far as I know), it's just a suggestion people are throwing around in accordance to the character description of Teri being a 40-year-old black woman. I guess people think she'd be a great "Mrs. Tanner" who does happen to fit the physical description.

Edited by Chicken Wing

Is it mentioned anywhere what sort of job DJ has? She was headed off to Stanford at the original series end, wasn't she? She probably has a decent job. Not sure why she can't handle being a single mom. Millions of women do it.

Kate and Allie had a similar type of setup. I doubt this will be as good. I always found DJ the most annoying character and I am not a fan of the actress. Although I like Stephanie and Kimmy. The whole set up is too much a copy of the original and the kids sound annoying and obnoxious.

Is it mentioned anywhere what sort of job DJ has? She was headed off to Stanford at the original series end, wasn't she? She probably has a decent job. Not sure why she can't handle being a single mom. Millions of women do it.

The descriptions say she's a veterinarian, which is impressive - veterinary school is not exactly easy to get into - but kind of random. She actually didn't get into Stanford, but she did have an acceptance to Berkeley. I don't think the show made it clear that she was going to go there.

It is weird that this show is basically a copy of the original premise with the genders flipped. On the original, the concept centered around a bunch of men suddenly thrown into the so-called traditional "mom" roles, who had no clue how to handle kids and run a household. Plus it was the '80s. and the whole "Mr. Mom" concept was still a burgeoning reality. What's so groundbreaking about a single mother?

• Love 1

It is weird that this show is basically a copy of the original premise with the genders flipped. On the original, the concept centered around a bunch of men suddenly thrown into the so-called traditional "mom" roles, who had no clue how to handle kids and run a household. Plus it was the '80s. and the whole "Mr. Mom" concept was still a burgeoning reality. What's so groundbreaking about a single mother?

It is weird, and it would even be too retro if the premise were that men can't fill the "mom" roles, because times have changed.  I watched Mr. Mom the other day and the guy couldn't even do a load of laundry for God's sake.  Would a man even admit to being that stupid these days?  "Uhhh I can't figure out the mysterious clothes cleaning machine, because I'm a manly man."  I would laugh in their face.  It reminds me of The Odd Couple where for some reason, in 2015, a newly divorced man can't just get his own apartment. 

I was afraid he'd show up. There was nothing wrong with DJ having boyfriends. But making one a regular and putting him into the opening credit was horrible. He was always around with no real purpose. DJ was already the least likeable character. Adding a boyfriend as a permanent attachment and obsession only made her worse. Not that it matters, I don't think anything can save this spinoff given they are making it such a complete copy of the original.

There was nothing wrong with DJ having boyfriends. But making one a regular and putting him into the opening credit was horrible. He was always around with no real purpose

The only reason that happened was because of his VA role in Aladdin.  Disney owns ABC, so they had to put him somewhere.  I agree that I wasn't crazy about his character or his being shoehorned in. 

Love the idea of casting Elizabeth Olsen as Michelle.  Won't happen, but a nice thought.

Why couldn't they have just had Danny end up w/ Vicki.  I know Gail Edwards is retired, but why couldn't they just recast the character.

It seems the Olson twins might still be in play.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/28/full-house-olsen-twins

I will watch this as I loved the show when I was younger, as of now it's pretty much unwatchable when it began Michelle Tanner and the Full House show.  I do think this could have the stink of a train wreck, but like I said, i'll be watching.

• Love 1

So they went from African American to part Puerto Rican. 

With the Olsen twins, they only need one of them to sign. There is only character and they are old enough to work full time.  

After reading the Full House Reviewed site (https://therealfullhousereviewed.wordpress.com/) and realizing how terrible the original show was, I will be checking out this show. I am interested in where this obnoxious family is now. 

In theory there's nothing wrong with this.  In practice, it sounds like it's going to be horrible.

1.) A dead husband for DJ, and so the big bag of cliches with that

2.) a cheating ex with Kimmy, and so the big bag of cliches with that

3.) Danny married to a woman who's what?  A year older or so than his oldest daughter?  Haha.  I can already smell both the jokes and yet also some cheesy "life lessons".

4.) The race of Danny's wife shouldn't have to be an issue, and yet come on.  How many black women have any of us met named "Teri"? Okay, I'm sure a few exist, but it just seems like some cobbled together silly character with no bite of reality to her at all.  Oh wait, here's a "Terrycina".  I bet any amount of money that Danny's Teri won't be a "Terrycina".  I'm thinking "African-American Valley Girl".  I'm calling it now.  They could even cast Stacey Dash (although she's a tad too old and actually from the Bronx).

"How many black women have any of us met named "Teri" ? Okay, I'm sure a few exist" 

Really? You're kidding, right ?

• Love 3

"How many black women have any of us met named "Teri" ? Okay, I'm sure a few exist" 

Really? You're kidding, right ?

Go ahead and make the accusation straight out if you're just going to imply it otherwise.

It's all academic with this character anyway, since they went and hired Eva LaRue.

I went to a taping of this today.  Before our episode began taping they showed the pilot and it was pretty bad.  I think I actually groaned a few times (Nicky and Alex are still the worst).  The 13 year old I was with thought it was great though and she's a big Full House fan.  I was not looking forward to having to sit through the taping at all after seeing the pilot, but the episode we saw taped wasn't bad.  The kids aren't that annoying and the show seemed more centered around the adults anyway.  The boys actually made me laugh uncontrollably a couple of times -- the little one was hilarious between scenes.  The writing was kinda clunky in a few places, but not the worst I've seen.  All the returning characters seemed like themselves, most of all, Kimmie is still Kimmie.  I don't know if I would watch if it was on regular TV, but since it is on Netflix I'll probably watch. 

• Love 3

I'm not a Michelle fan so I'm fine with her not appearing. And thank goodness Someone in that codependent family was able to have a life away. But is it really so important that a Olsen play her? Recast the part so she can visit occasionally.

• Love 1

That promo hit me right in my white middle American feels. I am not white or middle American (American though!). They know what the fuck they're doing with the nostalgia for us millenials and they ain't shit for making me FEEL THINGS.  

That song by Miranda Lambert was just perfect too.

That promo hit me right in my white middle American feels. I am not white or middle American (American though!). They know what the fuck they're doing with the nostalgia for us millenials and they ain't shit for making me FEEL THINGS.  

That song by Miranda Lambert was just perfect too.

As someone who is also not white and not in Middle America but grew up watching Full House, that was kind of the perfect trailer. I do wish we could have seen someone's face but using " The House that Built Me" was a good choice. I am a little worried (as most on Twitter noticed) that they've had the same couch for 30 years.

They're living in the same house? They have a golden retriever? They have made no effort at all to create a single original idea. Wasn't there an episode where Danny has this as his Nightmare future? The girls adults and still living in the house as if they never really grew up?

• Love 2

I have to say, Mrs. Readster and I are looking forward to seeing this too. I have to agree, everyone has aged well, and I'm happy Danny actually finally remarried since Jeff Franklin didn't want that happening during the run of the series. Because it would "Destroy the foundation of the series", of course later on he admitted that they made a mistake in doing that. Since Vickie was a fan favorite and everyone loved her interaction with the characters and how they missed tons of stories with having Vickie as the girls stepmother and even Jesse's reactions to having her as a sister-in-law. Hopefully, they won't make that mistake twice. I see this how they have done Girl Meets World. There is going to be cheese and things that make you go "OK", but in a good way.

I admit to watching the show randomly in syndication -- the lethargy of a wasted youth -- but I could never stand this show.  I doubt I'll make it through a complete episode of the reboot but I suspect my morbid curiosity will make me try.

The "brudders," aka Nicky and Alex, will be turning up as well.

Sidenote: I do enjoy that he "saved a turtle and named it Broseidon."

What I don't get is why they're in the same house.  Didn't they sell the place in the original finale?  Guess they bought it back before prices skyrocketed?

No, they changed their minds and it was never sold due to Michelle not wanting things to change. When the series ended, which was shot two ways. It was a conclusion that life moved on the for the characters, but nothing hugely was changing (similar to Everyone Loves Ramond). They didn't know they were officially cancelled until they had filmed the finale. They came back to do a reshoot of the final scene. Why Dave Coulie had a wig on and then did the curtain call with shorter hair. He had cut his hair after the original finale shoot. They didn't want to mess up the refilming with Joey suddenly having shorter hair when it was longer during the original filming. This way the cast got a proper goodbye when Bob Saget originally said, they did the season finale like always and then a few weeks later were called up that they had been cancelled and wanted to reshoot the final scene in the kitchen to give a proper goodbye by the audience and cast.

The possibility of selling the house was the season 7 finale. The season 8 finale/series finale was Michelle falling off her horse and losing her memory.

Yep, but as I said, they filmed the season 8 finale not knowing it was the end and then refilmed the ending a bit to do a proper curtain call.

Right, but you described the last minute reshoot/proper goodbye scene as in the kitchen. That was the last scene of the season 7 finale. The last scene in the series finale was in the living room, reshot to add cheesy farewell dialogue, though the final curtain call was on the kitchen set.

• Love 1