Type keyword(s) to search

Fuller House Continuation/Spinoff/? Anticipation Discussion

The place to discuss reactions to anticipation for the news of a Full House reboot.

I'll start with replies from the Misc Celebrity News thread...

Back to Full House, not a kill 'em off type of show(unless you're a goldfish or the grandfather). Michelle would just be away.

Wasn't the premise of the original show that the mom was killed off so dad and his buddies had to raise the kids?

I only selected the 2 most recent posts from Miscellaneous Celebrity News thread, but I'm replying to the whole general topic.

I think having the mom being dead is different since it's not a character we ever met that disappeared, nor a kid we "knew" and last saw as still quite young. I don't think the Olsen twins need to be invovled though. Michelle could be in the Peace Corps or on a missionary type trip, and just not be around. A simple throwaway line, or even a phone call with someone else providing the voice would be fine, I think.

(edited)

Technically should we maybe be calling this a continuation rather than a reboot?  Or maybe a spinoff?

Same issue as Coach, same as Girl Meets World.  Basically it's taking a single character (although not even the main character in this case) and continuing, with maybe dropins from the previous series but new characters as the bulk of the cast.  

Maybe BECAUSE DJ was never the main character, this might be a spinoff rather than a continuation.  I suppose Girl Meets World is that too, since the previous main character (Corey) IS still in place but no longer the main character.  Coach is the only one where we've absolutely totally got the same main character, actually, in the same continuity (so not a Lou Grant/Trapper John thing) but with circumstances changed.

In other news, Candace Cameron?  Ugh.  I hope they put a muzzle on any religious stuff.  I can't help but remember the annoying character she played on Make It Or Break It, where she insisted all the religious stuff be part of the character.

Edited by Kromm

I think having the mom being dead is different since it's not a character we ever met that disappeared, nor a kid we "knew" and last  saw as still quite young.

I do agree that it's different for those reasons, but those who watched the original show are old enough now to not be traumatized by Michelle being killed off, and for those who never saw the original it would be the same difference as the original mom. Not that I think they're going to actually do this, but it's what I'd do. I hate the "character who won't do the show phones in" solution.

(edited)

Good point, changing the topic to title to encompass all.

Heh.  That's quite a mouthful though. 

You know, this show focusing on D.J. means inevitable that we're going to be getting Kimmy Gibbler, right? Ugh.  It's inevitable.

EDIT:  Ugh.  Confirmed.  Out of the business for a LOOOONG time, but they're coughing up the money to bring Andrea Barber out of a long retirement:  http://www.accesshollywood.com/full-house-spinoff-to-star-candace-cameron-bure-and-andrea-barber_article_106086

Edited by Kromm

I would have rather had D.J. as a divorced mom with the dad occasionally dropping in.  Would give some more laughs and storylines especially if the dad left her for a younger girl or is a dead beat dad.

• Love 1

I know, the pregnant widow thing kind of gives it a depressing premise. Especially considering that DJ's mom died years earlier, leaving her dad in the same predicament.

So basically it's Full House with flipped genders. But the specific premise of Full House was men learning to take care of children and a house, since this show aired back when that was still a "concept" and not ordinary life - that's where they got a lot of their season one humor, right? Where's the humor in people who already know how to take care of children and a house? (Men or women, either gender?)

• Love 1
I know, the pregnant widow thing kind of gives it a depressing premise. Especially considering that DJ's mom died years earlier, leaving her dad in the same predicament.

I know, right? This family must be jinxed. The new show's premise is just a little too ironic/convenient, and it's too ... the same. Recently widowed parent of three (or soon-to-be three) enlists the help of her goofy best friend and aspiring-musician sibling to help raise them. I think I've heard this one before. Still, very excited about this. I wonder what the present-day situation for Michelle will be. I am hoping it involves the word "exiled" or "jail" or "dead."

Edited by Chicken Wing

So it's both a reboot AND a spinoff. It is taking the exact same configuration (straightman newly single parent with aspiring singer sibling(-in-law for Jesse) and unrelated best friend of comedic value), and the extra catch is this is the second generation of Tanners. 

It feels a lot like the Girl Meets World configuration, where most characters are very obvious in their reboot slots to fill, with nearly equal parts new content and nostalgia.

I am assuming - since it wasn't said that DJs dead husband was Steve - that Steve will feature later as a high school love who is the first one to get DJ to think love is possible after her husband's death. Of course, when first introduced, he will just be a friend.

I can further assume she didn't make up with Nelson and marry him - they would have had a much larger house :-)

I'm cautiously optomistic. It's Netflix, so I don't have to make scheduled time for it. I can just enjoy it when it comes, like a 13-episode reunion movie. 

I know, right? This family must be jinxed. The new show's premise is just a little too ironic/convenient, and it's too ... the same. Recently widowed parent of three (or soon-to-be three) enlists the help of her goofy best friend and aspiring-musician sibling to help raise them. I think I've heard this one before. Still, very excited about this. I wonder what the present-day situation for Michelle will be. I am hoping it involves the word "exiled" or "jail" or "dead."

The bright side about the premise is that A: the goofy best friend has a kid of her own, so it won't be weird or creepy that she's living there, as she likely needs help herself. And B: Andrea Barber is much more palatable than Dave Coulier. For me anyway, I always loved Kimmy.

• Love 2

The dead husband wouldn't be Steve or Nelson or anyone else we knew (I would cry if it were Steve), because D.J.'s new name is apparently Fuller. See? Fuller House? Get it? Get it????

Oy.

Ugh. I didn't catch the last name before. Just kill me now.

The dead husband wouldn't be Steve or Nelson or anyone else we knew (I would cry if it were Steve), because D.J.'s new name is apparently Fuller. See? Fuller House? Get it? Get it????

Oy.

Well I missed that lead anvil contrivance point.

And why oh why is one of her boys named J.D.? Stop that.

And maybe he's Jo Don (Seriously, if it is Joseph Daniel, I take that as close enough to the total boy-ification of Donna Jo) Edited by KarateKate
And why oh why is one of her boys named J.D.? Stop that.

And maybe he's Jo Don (Seriously, if it is Joseph Daniel, I take that as close enough to the total boy-ification of Donna Jo)

I was totally thinking Joseph Daniel, too, because, they would do that, wouldn't they?

• Love 1

This is actually happening. I thought it was an April's Fool's joke when I first heard about it. 

Why are they going with the opposite premise three kids, aunt and BFF? I'm guessing CCB wouldn't do divorce because of her faith. I guess the best friend already having a kid of her own is the only difference. They should make Stephanie have a young kid too, that'll make it a fuller house. Yes, I know that's DJ's last name but they can really play with the name that way. 

Also JD, really? 

I would have rather had D.J. as a divorced mom with the dad occasionally dropping in.  Would give some more laughs and storylines especially if the dad left her for a younger girl or is a dead beat dad.

Do you think for even a second Candace Cameron would allow her character to be divorced? I mean I seem to recall she's of the "if you swear a marriage before God..." school of thought.

Heck, I bet she probably doesn't want ANY of her costars to be divorced either.

Oy.

Can you hear the "clunk"? Yes, it made that sound when it hit us all.

Does it make it better or worse that "Fuller" also sounds a lot like "Tanner"?

Heck, I bet she probably doesn't want ANY of her costars to be divorced either.

Well, Jodie's apparently going to be on this show, so she can't be too much of a fanatic about it. What divorce is she on? 3? 4? I lost count.

Also, here's some of the specifics as relayed by Candace in an interview:

“Fuller House” will center on D.J. as a pregnant mother with two young boys who recently lost her husband, Tommy Fuller.

“I can’t do it alone and so I call upon my family to help me, and that’s when my sister comes in, Stephanie (Jodie Sweetin), and my best friend, Kimmy (Andrea Barber), who also has a daughter and is divorced,” Bure said. “And we get together and help each other.”

CCB can make calls for her character but she can't for others. I figured Kimmy was divorced since she's moving in with her teenage daughter. 

I guess the Tanners have some bad luck when it comes to spouses. 

It's hilarious that the Olsens are spinning things a bit as "why are we just finding out about this now".  I'm sure that's true, but I'm also sure they've made it dead clear in previous negotiations (not for this version of a show, but overall them just fielding the idea of a reunion) that their asking price--if one even existed--would be astronomical.

But that's probably why they weren't told.  The way this has unfolded, they're kind of backed into a corner, being the only ones not involved. So maybe they've been mousetrapped a bit into doing it so they don't look like bad sports to the public (whereas in previous negotiations, which I'm sure have been going on for years and years just about the mere possibility, they've probably just tossed out huge numbers, probably fully knowing it would never be agreed to).

Candace Cameron probably needs a muzzle though, because it's already been easy for the press to take her stuff out of context with headlines like "CANDACE CAMERON-BURE: WE ONLY NEED 1 OLSEN TWIN FOR 'FULLER HOUSE'!"  Which isn't actually what she said, but she certainly set herself up for it (the actual quote was "Hopefully Dave and Bob and Lori will be on there too. And Mary-Kate and Ashley or either one! Who knows,"

Edited by Kromm

Can Human Pudding open for Stephanie's possible band? Please? They are human and pudding!

Stephanie and Jamie will co-headline a reunion tour and eventually get married. I'm calling it right now!

Have any of you ever read the blog Full House Reviewed? Basically, this guy spent 4 years of his life watching every single episode of Full House and then snarking it to pieces afterwards. I laugh my ass off every time I read one of his reviews. If you haven't been there before, trust me, you will NOT regret it:

https://therealfullhousereviewed.wordpress.com/

Anyway, he's coming back to snark on Fuller House:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-full-house-satire-blogger-theres-more-20150421-story.html

• Love 3

Stephanie and Jamie will co-headline a reunion tour and eventually get married. I'm calling it right now!

Eric Lively (brother of Blake Lively) is still a working actor, and not committed anywhere, so...

I'm sure it won't happen for numerous reasons, but I'd honestly like to see Elizabeth Olsen appear as Michelle.  She's less alien-looking than her sisters and could pass for Michelle just as easily as either one of them could.

Edited by Starscream

Although the Kimmy Gibbler character was written to be obnoxious, I always thought Andrea Barber was a good actress and a beautiful girl. Can't wait to see her again!

That's why Kimmy was always my favorite. They wrote her as obnoxious as they possibly could but Andrea managed to still be charming.

• Love 2

I don't think Nikky and Alex will show up, one of them is a Firefighter now and the other works behind the scenes as a sound technician.

A firefighter you say? How old are these young men so I don't feel bad about my thoughts!

(edited)

A firefighter you say? How old are these young men so I don't feel bad about my thoughts!

They are 24. So no worries. haha.

Edited by Sakura12

I don't think Nikky and Alex will show up, one of them is a Firefighter now and the other works behind the scenes as a sound technician.

They could always re-cast.

Identical twins aren't SO rare in showbiz it's impossible.

DJ's kids sound boring.  I can already predict the lessons they'll learn and the special moments they'll share and the blah blah blah.  Geeky Kid will learn to hit a baseball.  Rebel Kid will get a talking-to from Uncle Jesse. 

The sad part is I'll probably watch it anyway, since it'll be on Netflix and (like most junkies) I'll need a placebo when I run out of the good stuff.

DJ's kids sound exactly like Jesse and Danny. Oy. Heaven forbid they have character traits like, I don't know, their parents?

At least Kimmy's kid sounds moderately interesting, if not potentially insufferable.

• Love 2

I don't understand why Stamos is making a big deal about the Olsens not wanting to participate in the spinoff.  They haven't acted in years, or even shown much public interest in Full House.  If Michelle is such an integral part of the spinoff, just recast her, no one will care as much as Stamos thinks they will.

• Love 3