Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Raising the Roof

• Start Topic

Patricia didn't approve because, well, she never approves of anyone or anything that anyone does.

This is a perfect description of Patricia, for better or for worse!

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Brian's beatdown of Whitney's absentee partnership.

That was delicious. Last season, Whitney had second thoughts about Shep's ability to open a restaurant before they even started, but Brian is actively working on opening a restaurant with Whitney right now, and he's the one who didn't come through. All while Shep's "hot-dog stand" is already up and running.

You wouldn't think a restauranteur that founded the Hard Rock Cafe would actually be involved in the construction work or expect his investors to be involved either.

Wouldn't they just sign the checks for the contractor, keep an eye on the work being done and make sure the logistics, like hiring staff, lining up suppliers and so on are being done?

They made it sound like Whitney bailed on some house-raising.

It's not true that producers have total control over edits. Networks won't pay for whitewashed programming. While Whitney may have conceived of this series, I doubt he and Cameran have total control over what appears on screen. My understanding is that the content is negotiated. Plus, "executive producers" often receive that courtesy title as a way to receive more money.

• Love 4

I can't decide if Whitney really thought those campaign ads were a good idea, or if he passively-aggressively tried to sabotage Thomas' campaign. How could Thomas not recognize how godawful they were?

A question for the posters who live in South Carolina: did the commercial we saw actually air on TV during the campaign? Is it possible that it was just something outrageous that Whitney cooked up for Southern Charm and that Thomas gleefully went along with because he knew it would enrage Kathryn?

(edited)

Because drinks like frozen margaritas are an absolute bitch for bartenders at that sort of event because they require a blender and a ton of ice. The machine freezes and and dispenses so there is no wait and frees the bartenders up to mix none frozen drinks. This way people who clearly don't care what they are drinking don't have to wait it isn't classy (Patricia probably breaks out into hives at the thought) but it's efficient for th bartender and everyone else because ex the bartenders are free to pour decent drinks versus just frozen mix and tequila.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yes, all of Thomas' bad behavior won't be shown here. What about the news story that he assaulted Kathryn's hairdresser and then drunkenly fell naked into the pool holding Kensie?!

Thinking more about it...I think Thomas would have married Kathryn despite the age difference. The real thing that made him change his opinion of her was finding out she had slept with two of his close friends. That was a deal breaker. Beverage Cart Girl never would have done such a thing! (semi-sarcasm)

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 2

Yes, all of Thomas' bad behavior won't be shown here. What about the news story that he assaulted Kathryn's hairdresser and then....

That's being discussed in Thomas and Kathryn's thread. I'll fix the rest for you. :)

• Love 1
I can't decide if Whitney really thought those campaign ads were a good idea, or if he passively-aggressively tried to sabotage Thomas' campaign. How could Thomas not recognize how godawful they were?

Yea, while Whitney was watching the playback of that "raise the roof" commercial, he had a very odd smirk on his face. I'm thinking he knew the commercial was political suicide, but didn't care because he's more frenemy to TRav than actual friend.

Oh, and Whitney's laugh during the party when TRav was bitching about how long it took Kathryn to get ready and basically making fun of women for primping (but heaven forbid a woman doesn't take the time to properly decorate his world!), was an obnoxious 12-year-old boy's laugh. Which is now what I think of Whitney as: a lonely, rich, 12-year-old boy who doesn't know how to play nice with others, especially after the "no fat chicks" comment and Shep's commentary of him. Like a real life Richie Rich.

• Love 3

I'm starting to wonder if this campaign was a plot for the show.  Even Thomas probably had no expectations of being more than a blip.

They make commercials but only posted it on Youtube?  Nobody was going to commit money to broadcast them so it's looking pretty contrived.

(edited)

I don't know. Thomas was bitching to Andy Cohen on WWHL thst he spent "a million dollars" and lost the election. He seemed to have taken it seriously. (although $1 million doesn't sound like a lot to me. I guess he meant his personal money.)

On th other hand, he also blamed Andy for encouraging him to run. And after the alleged assault on Kathryn's friend/hair stylist he blamed Kathryn for not leaving filming of the show to help clear his name, and thus costing him the election.

That was something, seeing as how he iced her out of doing anything for the campaign except sit there and look pretty.

I also doubt Thomas' story that Kathryn was taking "hours" to get ready for the party. Someone posted that they were not even living together at that time. I think Kathryn took Kensie and went to her parents' home a couple of times. Maybe Kathryn was having a hard time getting Kensie fed or to sleep or something. So much of this is possible BS, especially if Thomas or Whitney say it.

Edited by RedHawk

Did anyone else notice Harry Dubin (RHNY Aviva's ex) in the background at the beach house party?

Really? Wow, that guy really does get around.

You wouldn't think a restauranteur that founded the Hard Rock Cafe would actually be involved in the construction work or expect his investors to be involved either.

I thought Whitney said Planet Hollywood, but maybe I misheard. Who is this Bryan guy? (I didn't catch his last name.) He looks very familiar to me.

(edited)

Planet Hollywood is still alive, though far fewer locations than in its heyday.  I knew I had seen the one in Orlando, but there are others according to Wikipedia, including one in SC:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Hollywood

United States

Las Vegas Strip, The Forum Shops at Caesars, Nevada (Opened July 1994)
    Myrtle Beach, Broadway at the Beach, South Carolina (Opened November 1996)
    New York, Times Square, New York (Relocated November 2000)
    Orlando, Downtown Disney, Florida (Opened October 1994)

International

Disneyland Paris, Disney Village, France (Opened July 1996)
    London, Haymarket, England (Relocated June 2009)
    Niagara Falls, Falls Avenue, Canada (Opened April 1999)

That Wikipedia article says Planet Hollywood was Bryan's "brainchild" but he worked for a firm at the time so the firm founded the PH's, with investments by many movie stars.

Edited by izabella

Bryan sold out his interest in 1999 when they filed for bankruptcy, they were purchased by the people behind Bucca do Peppo, apparently he came up with the idea for the show with Whitney which is why he is a producer.

That Wikipedia article says Planet Hollywood was Bryan's "brainchild" but he worked for a firm at the time so the firm founded the PH's, with investments by many movie stars.

I remember that Demi Moore and Bruce Willis (married at the time) were big investors when the first one opened. They basically took the concept of Hard Rock Cafe, just did it with movie memorabilia. 

Shep gets bonus points for giving a Nosferatu reference.

Thomas's campaign ad was certainly interesting.

I think Thomas is just stringing Kathryn along to portrait this family man image to voters.

Wow, Planet Hollywood really is dead. They haven't opened a single new location in the U.S. since 2000? Wow.

Believe me I know, I live down here, born and raised in WNC. But as calorie concious as I'm sure she is, not to mention a doctor's wife....she needs to at least learn how to make collard greens! :)

Cameran is not calorie conscious at all. In season 1, we see her getting brownies and popcorn shrimp, and saying that her favorite lunch was getting the value fries and chicken nuggets at Wendy's.

Cameran is just one of those natural size zeros who can eat whatever they want.

I'm positive Whitney was trolling Thomas with that ad. I think he believes (probably correctly) that as this campaign fails, Thomas will get increasingly mean and resentful towards Kathryn.

I'm positive Whitney was trolling Thomas with that ad. I think he believes (probably correctly) that as this campaign fails, Thomas will get increasingly mean and resentful towards Kathryn.

More like he was trolling Kathryn. He knew she would hate it and get angry with Thomas for making it. It was a stupid idea, she's right about that.

I didn't quite get what she was saying: Did Whitney also hire one or more of her sorority sisters to be a "dancer" in the video? Really, Whitney, are you that jealous of Kathryn? 

• Love 1

What am i missing? Wasn't Whitney watching that ad right after T-Rav arrived when he went to the bathroom? It was like they supposedly filmed it that day--but they didn't if it was already filmed/edited. Whitney is getting lazy with the wonky timeline editing this year...or maybe Bravo is more involved this season.

I don't believe for one second that Whitney thought the commercial was going to help TRav's campaign. He knew it would hurt it and likely laughed about getting TRav to do it in the first place. I am not even sure why Thomas agreed to do a commercial like that. If he blew $1 million like he claims on his campaign, that's no one's fault but his own.

• Love 2

Cooks Delight, thank you SO much for fixing my mess of a thread, no idea what happened there. Thanks!!

I hope we get to see some footage of Shep working at his Palace Hotel hot dog place. He is so charismatic and would be so fun to hang out with (and more, ha ha ...:P ). Craig needs some charisma lessons from Shep. He always talks in that droll monotone and seems bored/too cool for school.

I wonder if Shep and Landon will ever hook up? They may have been friends too long at this point and are past that kind of attraction.

I loved Cameran in season one and I still like her a lot but there are times she annoys me now. She seems a little full of herself and the holier-than-thou act gets annoying. I have a friend like that and believe me, it's offputting.

• Love 3

I think Thomas is just stringing Kathryn along to portrait this family man image to voters.

I would believe that if it weren't for the fact that Thomas told Kathryn that he didn't want her or Kensie part of his campaign.  This only somewhat baffles me because honestly, drama and the pearl clutching May-December relationship appearance aside, they still make for a very good-looking and charming All-American Southern family.

In the "Raise the Roof" commercial, in the shot where Thomas is raising the roof as oh-so-masterfully as only a 50+-year-old Southern man does, there's someone kind of in the back left-hand corner of the shot (to the left of the DJ).  It's a quick shot, so I'm not quite sure if I'm seeing this correctly, but is that Whitney holding up a pickaxe?  Or am I going crazy?  Who and what the hell is that... and why include that?

I've been doing my best to keep up with all of this show's threads and in doing so, I believe I have come across a few posts that mention at least Cameran and Whitney being producers of this show.  Maybe another castmember or two as well?  If so, how could we possibly be getting a completely unbiased version of what's happening in each episode?  I'm not saying that they get the end-all, be-all decision of what gets cut and what gets shown, but wouldn't they at least have some say?  I don't worry so much about Cameran skewing things in her favor as much as I think Whitney will do what he can to skew things in his own favor (and anything that doesn't make him look great is probably a result of him mistakenly thinking it makes him a badass).

Well, then I guess that explains all of the Patricia love each episode, and what I was most afraid of in terms of getting a completely unbiased edit of anything Whitney does.

I don't watch any of the other Bravo shows but it sounds like Whitney and other producers have more control of the show than the other shows on Bravo?

Or do they also have cast members who are also executive producers?

(edited)

Whitney and Bryan are exec producers because they came up with the idea of the show. People are speculating over the amount of control they have many times it's simply a title and they have no control over the editing.

Whitney probably thinks he come across as cool but they also leave in fairly harsh comments about him from others like Cameron.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Landon's accent is something I've never heard. I have lived in Georgia (where she's from) for the last four years and she sounds nothing like native Georgians.

Whitney IS a renob. He is so nasty to and about Kathryn, it's disgusting. Thomas is repulsive too, cracking on Kathryn with Whitney. They are pathetic. Twice now I've seen where he and Kathryn arrive separately at events and he gives her a quick peck on the cheek. What happened to all their chemistry? It is long gone. He seems to barely tolerate her and can't even be bothered to wait for her to go to that beach house party? He's a total renob himself.

I really like Cameran but I secretly wish she would do something stupid so that they could talk about her a little. It's annoying that she's so "perfect".

This. I like her too. But, yeah, a little too perfect.

Nobody respects Katherine because Thomas doesn't respect her, and she doesn't demand respect from him. She looks foolish and immature. At least she is young and has an excuse.

Whitney and Thomas also look foolish and immature, they have no excuse.

• Love 3

I can't believe Thomas is stupid enough to let Whitney do anything for his campaign except donating money. He's the least shrewd politician ever.

Those commercials never aired, but he still made a idiot out of himself during the campaign. 

(edited)

I bet the show is paying for that beach house rental.

Probably, but it's essentially being used as a set.

Shep did not close on his house until December, so filming from August through November/December seems correct and in line with a 3-4 month rental on the beach house. Considering Shep's old rental was in a prime area for COC students, his lease was probably up sometime in August in order to coincide with that.

Edited by lillypforme

Probably, but it's essentially being used as a set.

Shep did not close on his house until December, so filming from August through November/December seems correct and in line with a 3-4 month rental on the beach house. Considering Shep's old rental was in a prime area for COC students, his lease was probably up sometime in August in order to coincide with that.

Close? I thought he was building a house.

The party we saw was supposedly on Labor Day, which was Sept 1 last year. Although they acted like it was a "move in" party it may have been a Sunday, Aug 31 move-out party. OTOH I never trust "reality" timelines.

Did anyone else notice Harry Dubin (RHNY Aviva's ex) in the background at the beach house party? He was sitting at the kitchen table wearing white, right before Whitney plays the guitar.

There is a old, prominent Dubin family in Charleston- perhaps he is related. 

The party we saw was supposedly on Labor Day, which was Sept 1 last year. Although they acted like it was a "move in" party it may have been a Sunday, Aug 31 move-out party. OTOH I never trust "reality" timelines.

He was. Even if you are building you still have to close on the property if you have a mortgage. He didn't hire the builders himself, he bought the house from the builder, putting money down on the property while it was being built. The home he was building wasn't completed until December.  It was obviously under construction when we saw it earlier in the series.

You still close on a house, even one you are building. Been there, done that. There's paperwork on the front end and at the very end when the contractor is finished.

• Love 2
(edited)

Did anyone notice that Kathryn still looked chubby cheeked (although slimmer than past episodes) during the restaurant dinner with Thomas scene, yet later at Danni's house she look very thin faced like she does in the most recent TH's?  I think that scene was filmed later. Possibly Kathryn  was so P.O.'ed at the time she would't allow a follow up scene?  The scene where she returns to the house (outside on the bench with the love bugs) she is once again chubby cheeked.  I fear she lost a lot of that weight from chain smoking! 

Does anyone know where Cameran's gorgeous house is located?  I could see water in the background, is it oceanfront, Sullivan's Island?  BTW, Sullivan's Island has very few short term beach rentals, I think residential code there forbids most weekly rentals, maybe some houses are grandfathered in and maybe Whitney (or Bravo) has at least a 6 month lease then. Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are where most of the summer rentals are. I noticed Shep was wearing a "Bert's" T-shirt in one scene. Bert's is Folly Beach's most beloved Mom n Pop convenience store. Folly is also where most of the surfers go. 

As for the question above about Landon's accent, she mentioned something in the past about having lost some of her Southern characteristics from living in L.A. for so long.  But it is a little strange that her sister didn't have one, either.  Her Dad had an accent on the phone with her and I heard her have a little accent when speaking with him.  

Edited to fix spelling error

Edited by PickleDeeDee
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't pretend to know anything about television but what I read, but I sincerely doubt that an executive producer credit (which seem to be freely given on Bravo) translates to having a final edit of the material. I imagine it means extra fees.

Poor Kathryn! Too young to know her strengths and all too conscious of her failings. When you have to yell "I'm his effing partner!" you are in trouble.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 1