Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E22: Top Finalists Perform

• Start Topic

Not really sorry to see Maddie & Adanna go.  They were filler.  Although I'd love to know what song Adanna's Minnie Mouse hooker outfit was intended to complement.

According to iTunes, she was going to sing "I Hate Myself For Loving You." *shudders* Edited by Ketzel

All three judges have commented on Nick's good looks, such as the ridiculous advice to "own your hotness" and flash that fabulous smile through your performances more (isn't Daniel being told to do that less?). Nick did have a better performance with Man in the Mirror, seems to be connecting more. I wonder if he's internally rolling his eyes each time his looks are mentioned, pushing 30 and long trying to seriously support himself making music.

Speaking of looks, Boy George and David Hasselhoff are looking well after their hard-living years. :p Good thing Baywatch wasn't an 80s show, The Hoff would've gladly stripped down to his red Speedos instead. That, coupled with the horrible singing of his, would've been too much camp!

Edited by KR Vermont
  • Love 1
Let's face it.  We have a season of kids who make us wish for a Taylor Hicks or Lee Dewyze.

Nothing can make me wish for Lee Dewyze. Dewyze was a better singer than Daniel or Qassim (though I'd rather watch Qassim if he performs like last week) but he was way worse than anyone else left on this Season's crop and Lee Dewyze was not the worst of his season's performers.  I think we all forget just how bad the majority of the performances are every season once it's more than a year or two in the past.

I thought the Hoff knew exactly who he was and why he was there so I didn't feel embarassed for him but I still fast-forwarded through it. Boy George's voice, however, made me feel sad. He had such a generous nature with the kids and such on-point comments for them that I felt sorry that his own vocals couldn't even remind us of how he used to be able to sing (and I was definitely not a Culture Club fan back in the day).

Jax, Clark and Quentin were all interesting to watch so I figure they're safe.  I predict that either Qassim or Rayvon go home next week - they both have been in the bottom and both gave boring performances.  Daniel goes home 1 week later if the survivor gives a stunning performance (Rayvon by absolutely kiliing a vocal or Qassim by dancing around like crazy).  But lord, I'd be happy to lose Daniel instead.

• Love 5

Not to make any excuses or anything, but Joey was apparently very good friends with Emily Selke which explains why she may have appeared a little bit off, to say the least, during the live show. Imagine finding out something like that while you're preparing for the show. 

I haven't been able to watch yet because I'm on the 1 a.m. work shift and have been going to sleep at 5 p.m. so am holding off comments beyond that until I collapse into my La-Z-Boy and fast-forward through -- I mean, watch the ep. 

But did want to share that for those wondering WTF was going on with her.

Not to make any excuses or anything, but Joey was apparently very good friends with Emily Selke which explains why she may have appeared a little bit off, to say the least, during the live show. Imagine finding out something like that while you're preparing for the show. 

According to what source?

It looks like the claim of Joey Cook and Emily Selke being "very good friends" came from this post on Joey's Facebook page:

Joey Cook
Yesterday at 2:04am ·
Just found out about Emily Selke & i have no idea how to feel right now. She was one of the most beautiful souls ive ever had the privilage of singing with & knowing, in my entire life. One of the few people in highschool that made me feel not so crazy for the music i listened to & books i obsessed over. She was doing amazing things with her life and i was so excited to watch her take over the world.
All of my positive thoughts and energy go out to her family & friend family
I'll be seeing you in the next world sweet girl

It appears they were high school classmates who sang together at some point in high school -- a school of nearly 4,000 students (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodbridge_High_School_%28Virginia%29. )There is no claim of close friendship.  Obviously it's a tragic loss but to jump to conclusions that this was somehow responsible for Joey's poor performance, especially since she seemed as bubbly as usual right before and right after her performance is not a responsible move. This is how false rumors get started.

Edited by remotecontrolfreak
  • Love 2

Excuse me for speculating a possibility for everyone going "what the F is wrong with Joey?"

Not starting a rumor. I sincerely doubt, with all due respect, that this thread has enough active readership to create a ripple on Twitter, no less "start a rumor" ...

Just tossing out a possible reason or speculation ... just as you can feel free to speculate that they barely knew each other in that school of 4000 and she really couldn't care less about any of this.

(And I can say from experience that even in a big school, the music geeks tend to all know each other.)

• Love 7

What a  bunch of tepid performances.  The only quality vocalists left are Tyanna and Clark, although I also like Jax.  

Mr. Jillybean claims not to care about AI but he gets apoplectic whenever Joey is on his screen.  I can't say I blame him.  I just don't understand why Harry only commented once, weeks ago, about her horribly affected pronunciation -- when she does it week after week.  It really grates.  

The 12-year-old does it too, albeit to a lesser extent.

• Love 1

So is Daniel being coddled by the producers in this new red seat/green seat format. It seems he's either first or second every week. They probably feel he couldn't handle being anxious about whether he's advancing or not (being 15 and all). So they get him out of the way early on.

So is Daniel being coddled by the producers in this new red seat/green seat format. It seems he's either first or second every week. They probably feel he couldn't handle being anxious about whether he's advancing or not (being 15 and all). So they get him out of the way early on.

Or, he leads off to put him more at risk of elimination. It's easy to be forgotten by those who vote right after the show ends from the leadoff position. There can also be pressure "to get things rolling" rather than to join in a parade.

• Love 1

I usually like Joey, but last night she gave me a real Lena Dunham vibe (extremely self involved).   I love the song she chose, but I did not like her rendition at all.

• Love 3

Excuse me for speculating a possibility for everyone going "what the F is wrong with Joey?"

Not starting a rumor. I sincerely doubt, with all due respect, that this thread has enough active readership to create a ripple on Twitter, no less "start a rumor" ...

Just tossing out a possible reason or speculation ... just as you can feel free to speculate that they barely knew each other in that school of 4000 and she really couldn't care less about any of this.

(And I can say from experience that even in a big school, the music geeks tend to all know each other.)

I am not, and did not, speculate that they barely knew each other.

I am presenting the known facts, which are:

1. The post on Joey's Facebook page, which presents them as being nothing more and nothing less than high school classmates. Yes, they knew each other but there was no mention of them being "friends" or "close friends." A conclusion you jumped to. And then you jumped from that to guessing  that this imagined "close friendship" led to Joey's bad performance.

2. The size of the school to put the scale of their connection in some context.

Edited by remotecontrolfreak

I loved that Phil Collins song when it first came out, but it definitely was one of the most overplayed songs of the 80's and I actually grew to hate it.  Quentin's version made me love it again.  I really look forward to his performances each week - not to mention his outfits.  I see that he is a "retail associate" - I wonder what store he works for?

Thank goodness Maddie is gone.  Hope Grandpa Redbeard isn't too upset.  He was really scowling after the judges' criticism of her performance last week.

I may be in the minority but I don't think this group is that bad.  With the exception of Daniel, who apparently is being voted through on the basis of cuteness alone, and Qaasim, who is a dynamic performer but NOT a good singer and should never have been given the save last week, I actually think they are all pretty good in their own way.  I like that there is such a variety in their vocal styles.  And here is a real minority opinion - I actually like the group performances.  It occurred to me during last night's group performance - and after the Hasselhoff mess - that possibly Idol realizes that it just isn't all that cool anymore, so it has decided to embrace the corny and cheesy.  Call me crazy, but I actually find it kind of endearing.

• Love 5

Doubt it.  He's not that much younger than Tyanna and she was not given that treatment.

By the way, according to Wikipedia -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol_(season_14) -- he turns 16 next week and Tyanna just turned 17. 

According to iTunes, she was going to sing "I Hate Myself For Loving You." *shudders*

That wasn't my quote, btw.  Lol  But that would have been unspeakable.  Maybe the producers just cut those two themselves so we didn't have to go through either performance.  Idol's sliding downhill fast enough.

After bagging on Lee Dewyze earlier in the thread, I googled him out of curiosity and now have an apology to make.  I still don't like him as he was on Idol but I have to admit that the song he did for the Walking Dead (Blackbird) was perfect for the scene and sounds great as a song in general.  I had no idea it was his song when I watched the show but I noticed the song then and liked it. Hats off to him.  IF you haven'theard the song or, like me, didn't know it was his, it's worth a listen.

Perceived front runner, Clark Beckham bores me to tears.  Zilch personality.

Qaasim is at least fun and entertaining.  Daniel should have waited a few years.  Quentin may not be the best singer, but he is interesting.  But I don't think he can win a show like this.

The worse performances of the night were Joey and Rayvon.  Both should have known better.

• Love 3

Every single time they comment on Nick's "hotness" (air quotes in full effect, because while he's not an ogre he doesn't fall into my personal definition of hotness) I get more pissed off.

Same as what Kara did to Casey. Would a male judge EVER talk to a girl like that?

"Hey, Candace, you're a right piece of ass. Get out on that stage and show us how hot you are."

No. It would never happen because it's borderline (or over the line, in Casey's case) harassment and I wish they would just quit it.

And stop telling Daniel how adorable he is because those sounds erupting from his throat are certainly not.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 9

This season confuses me.  I'll admit that it's also so boring that I often forget it's on.  Last night, I watched and came away shaking my head.

Is there really no talent left in Ameriker?  Are the talented kids just not auditioning for AI?  Or are the judges so completely tone deaf that they eliminate actual talent in favor of what's currently on stage?  I caught a few of the auditions and there were a few kids with decent talent.  Yet, along the way, those kids got cut.  We are left with a kid that looks and sounds like he's eight years old, a couple of girls who do something up there that cannot be considered singing, forgettable boys and one or two that still think powerhouse vocals are relevant today. 

Last night was just plain awful and this was an improvement over a week where one boy sang "Danger Zone" like a Vegas lounge act.  The kid singing the Phil Collins song was about the best of the pack and even he wasn't all that good.  It went downhill on a 90 degree trajectory after that.  

Let's face it.  We have a season of kids who make us wish for a Taylor Hicks or Lee Dewyze.   

I really think the problem is they require a pageant contestant background, and then expect originality and artistry.  They need contestants without baggage and are social media safe, that won't be controversial or say embarrassing things or have passionate opinions, that have no criminal history or mental illness, that have a stable support system behind them, and that won't be difficult to work with, or have too much ego, or get mad and quit in the middle, or have any substance abuse issues.  THEN they have to be able to sing.  That pretty much weeds out anyone with superstar potential!

Group night weeds out anyone who got through the initial screening process, lol.  I really believe that's the point of that exercise.   They also seek a malleable person they can mold into their corporate Idol mold.  In other words, someone boring.  A true artist is llikely not going to make it into the voting rounds.  Adam Lambert was an anomaly, and he was still successful because he moderated anything "controversial" about himself until he finished the competition, because he still has business sense. 

• Love 4

Every single time they comment on Nick's "hotness" (air quotes in full effect, because while he's not an ogre he doesn't fall into my personal definition of hotness) I get more pissed off.

Same as what Kara did to Casey. Would a male judge EVER talk to a girl like that?

"Hey, Candace, you're a right piece of ass. Get out on that stage and show us how hot you are."

No. It would never happen because it's borderline (or over the line, in Casey's case) harassment and I wish they would just quit it.

And stop telling Daniel how adorable he is because those sounds erupting from his throat are certainly not.

With Candace, they pretty much told her she was homely.  I forget the words but I was offended.  

They do refer to the girl's looks in positive ways, too, but they usually couch it in "total package" terms.  They heavily implied Maddie got through over Rachel because of Maddie's "total package" (i.e., skeezy outfit and over-styling) in the green mile.  

I don't like the filler crap this year before the contestants sing. Last week was painful with the "my movie would be..." crap, and this week was painful with the feigned "what the F is this stuff?" from the 80's. And I hate the triple split screen with the judges saying, "Let's see if he/she can do it!"

OH ME TOO!   What a waste of time!  I liked the old days when they showed contestants "how to's" on their hair, makeup and wardrobe.  Their before and afters were incredible a lot of the time.   

• Love 3

I remember back in the day they'd always comment on the female singers who were really goodlooking but perhaps not the best singers, and always talk about how hot they are.   Pia maybe?  Please don't hurt me if Pia was some great singer, I don't remember.  

Then I think the show took a direction for the much, much better.   Maddie and Adanna are really attractive (in my opinion) so I guess it's kind of something that they are finishing after the other women, but at this rate the women will all be knocked out soon.

Now of course I agree with the general point, shut up about how they look, it's something I hated about the show in the old days and I don't want it brought back.

I guess it's something positive to say about Harry and Keith.  They never say those stupid comments and the show is so much better for it.  Unfortunately J.Lo did not get the memo.

By the way, I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate how when J.Lo feels emphatically about a point she interrupts the judges with her own soundbites.  "Yes"  "It was so good!"  "So cool, you're so cool!"  You had your turn already and it's really obnoxious when you think we need to hear it repeated or emphasized because your opinion is the most important.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

By the way, I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate how when J.Lo feels emphatically about a point she interrupts the judges with her own soundbites.  "Yes"  "It was so good!"  "So cool, you're so cool!"  You had your turn already and it's really obnoxious when you think we need to hear it repeated or emphasized because your opinion is the most important.

Agree so much!  She has to have the last word when she has already had her turn, it is like she thinks the vote will be swayed and she is trying to make sure voters heed her words not those of the other judges, very disrespectful of her.  She only does it to Harry though..... 

• Love 4

Perceived front runner, Clark Beckham bores me to tears.  Zilch personality.

This often is the magic formula for winning this thing....see Ruben, Kris, Lee, Philip, and  Candace. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz........

Actually, Clark is growing on me since he has great musicality. A camera-friendly Alex from last year.

I want to like Joey, but she looks like Art Major 101, and I didn't realize until last night that her singing voice is always like that. Can she sing in her real voice? Anyone ever heard it?

Daniel is not cute. Please stop telling him that because now he's believing it.

Jax is just too much of everything...styling and singing. Too exhausting.

Qaasim (sp?)...last night was better, but also too exhausting in general. The judges will need bodyguards when they finally cut him.

The two who went home....haven't we seen them before? Like every year?

Quentin....I could look at his face all day.

The others? Can't remember them.

• Love 1

That wasn't my quote, btw.  Lol  But that would have been unspeakable.  Maybe the producers just cut those two themselves so we didn't have to go through either performance.  Idol's sliding downhill fast enough.

Oops, sorry! I corrected my post.

But as for the producers doing us favors, I'd only have believed it if Daniel had been cut. :)

I am not, and did not, speculate that they barely knew each other.

I am presenting the known facts, which are:

1. The post on Joey's Facebook page, which presents them as being nothing more and nothing less than high school classmates. Yes, they knew each other but there was no mention of them being "friends" or "close friends." A conclusion you jumped to. And then you jumped from that to guessing  that this imagined "close friendship" led to Joey's bad performance.

2. The size of the school to put the scale of their connection in some context.

I didn't see anyone claim they were BFFs, but if they knew and discussed their music and reading preferences, then it sounds like their connection was more than just having sung together once.  I remember being hit pretty hard when I was about Joey's age when I heard that a guy who had only been something of a distant friend in high school passed away.  At that age you really don't think about your own mortality until there is a personal connection.  I do agree though that I doubt that this had much if anything to do with Joey's poor performance this week.

I've always hated the way the girls are criticized about their appearance.  I remember the judges being kind of mean to Jennifer Hudson way back when, and look how her career has turned out.

Never said a word to Reuben Studdard about his looks.  I used to get so grossed out the way he would be all sweaty just standing still singing.  Whatever happened to him?  He did have a nice voice, but was kind of a one trick pony.

And this!  I am sooooooooooooo sick and tired of seeing multiple shots of Jennifer up singing and dancing while somebody is performing!  Shouldn't the camera be somewhere else, like maybe on the contestant who is performing?!?!?!?!?  Don't get me wrong, I have always liked JLo, more for her movies like Wedding Planner than for her singing, but she bugs me on this show. 

And shut up about the "goosies."

Edited by SmallTownMom
  • Love 5

I like Clark. I have to admit to being a little weirded out by his resemblance to the serial killer Charles Starkweather though. Seriously, Google it!

Edited by Bedlam
  • Love 4

**80s Weak (pun intentional)**

Harry's message T-shirts are well past "getting old".

Hasseldorf - Go back to Germany, douchbag.  Having this shitnozzle actually SING was a joke too far.

Boy George - Not a fan of his current styling/image.

J. Lo in the Speakey Advice Video Box is gonna be FUNNY tonight.

Infant - The "Must Be A Protest Vote" entry makes it through even a Double Elimination.  Adding insult to injury is him taking on sacred ground like Hall & Oates. And Daniel's "Make People Happy" answer is certainly going to win him another week (not that he wasn't going to anyway).

Quentin - I was okay with that.  Not perfect, but okay.  It's a very strong song to sing, so you have to eff up bigtime, and he didn't.

Joey - LOVE that outfit.  She really went for it with that.  She called it a Madonna in Space outfit, but it was more Cyndi Lauper, so it matched her song.  But man that song didn't work.  She'll be lucky to not go home off that.  George coming out specifically to hug her might give her that tiny extra support push to stay, maybe.

Tyanna - This IMO is one of Whitney's worst songs.  And Tyanna did a fairly straight cover.  That said her vocals were decent.

Jax - No shock she made it through based on last week.  I liked what she tried this week too, although I bet there's plenty of hate out there for it too.  Yes there were aspects that we're so very posed and orchestrated (chair kicking, anyone?).  But that's the 80s, isn't it?  She seemed to be taking some hits from the judges though.  Who knows how that will affect voting?

Nick Who? - I still barely remember who he is.  His cut-rate Daughtry-sounding self goes right out of my head the moment he's offstage.

Grandma Salt & Great-Auntie Peppa - Well that happened.  It sounded the same, then again its not really singing.

Clark - Like with Nick, I often have trouble remembering him each week. That said, it's a lovely song, and well sung, but when he's NOT singing he seems SO bland.  Thankfully during his song this week he summoned a LITTLE personality.  Then put me to sleep again when he tried to explain himself to Ryan.

Quassim - A disgrace him getting through, IMO.  Still sings Manic, IMO. 

Maddie, Adanna and Rayvon as B3 only felt bad because Infant and Quassim should have been two of the bottom (with Maddie and/or Adanna).  Thankfully Rayvon (the best of the three AND of the five including Infant and Quassim, in fact) stayed.

Rayvon - Him being a better choice than Maddie, Adanna, Infant, and Quassim doesn't mean that performance was good though. It wasn't.  I think in THEORY he's better than all of those, but he totally stank up the joint tonight.  He's going home next week.  Calling it now.

Edited by Kromm

I agree that having no homage to the ones being sent home really sux.  Otherwise I don't mind the new selection process that much (light-up chairs and all), but now that sing-for-the-save is over, it seemed brutal that the two that were left were sent home without a proper goodbye.  I especially would have liked to have heard Adanna sing again.  Her being sent home while Daniel and Qaasim stayed is a travesty.

I agree that having no homage to the ones being sent home really sux.  Otherwise I don't mind the new selection process that much (light-up chairs and all), but now that sing-for-the-save is over, it seemed brutal that the two that were left were sent home without a proper goodbye.  I especially would have liked to have heard Adanna sing again.  Her being sent home while Daniel and Qaasim stayed is a travesty.

I remember the judges being kind of mean to Jennifer Hudson way back when

Simon was awful to her, and the way he treated Mandisa in her season was even worse.  He obviously hates heavier women, because he frequently made unnecessary reference to their weight, albeit sometimes more subtly than others.  How Melinda managed to escape that, I'll never know.  Candace wouldn't have stood a chance had he still been a judge.

Oh, and to the person commenting on Quentin's jacket, it looked like felted wool to me, although I could be wrong about that.  I'm really digging his style.  It's very different from what I usually like, but I just can't wait to see what he'll wear next.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Infant - The "Must Be A Protest Vote" entry

I don't honestly think he is.  I think he appeals to a certain demographic (tweens & grandmas, maybe?) who are just more inclined to bother voting.  And I can't really complain too much about him, or anyone else, making it through because I can't be arsed to make the effort to vote myself.

• Love 2

I look at this bunch of mostly unimpressive singers and think about that gal in New Orleans (the plain-ish, older gal) who sang great (did she sing with Harry accompanying?) but was rejected because "we don't think you can win".   

• Love 1

I've always hated the way the girls are criticized about their appearance.  I remember the judges being kind of mean to Jennifer Hudson way back when, and look how her career has turned out.

Never said a word to Reuben Studdard about his looks.  I used to get so grossed out the way he would be all sweaty just standing still singing.

In the same season as Ruben, Simon harped on Kimberley Locke about her how her image and personality weren't good (generally code words from Simon for fat).

• Love 3

Yay, Tears for Fears two weeks in a row.

When I first saw Joey's outfit I had the fleeting hope she might sing a B-52s song, but it wasn't to be. I normally like her, but that Cyndi Lauper was ugh.

Edited by Starla

I agree with Proserpina65.  I don't think this show is important enough for people to even bother with protest voting anymore.  But please don't blame the grandmas for keeping The Infant around.   I'm a grandma, and I voted my fingers off for Quentin!

• Love 6

But please don't blame the grandmas for keeping The Infant around.   I'm a grandma, and I voted my fingers off for Quentin!

I don't blame all the grandmas.  Who knows?  Maybe it's hipsters in their twenties voting for him?

Good for you - if I bothered to vote, he'd be getting mine.

• Love 1

I agree with Proserpina65.  I don't think this show is important enough for people to even bother with protest voting anymore.  But please don't blame the grandmas for keeping The Infant around.   I'm a grandma, and I voted my fingers off for Quentin!

Hah! I can't speak for the t'weens, but I did a brief research project among the grandmas. I teach cooking at a couple of senior centers. Today I asked three of my students, all women over the age of 80 and all grandmothers, two questions. The first was "Who is your favorite of the current singers?" Answer (1) "I like Lady Gaga, although she doesn't seem so current anymore. What's she doing with Tony Bennett, fergoshsakes." Answer (2) "Bruno Mars! Love him! He's the first short man I've ever thought was really sexy." *sings a few bars of "uptown, funk you up, uptown funk you up!"* Answer (3) Beyoncé, and I know a lot of people hate him, but I kind of like Kanye West. But he shouldn't have been so mean to Taylor Swift." When asked which of Kanye's songs she liked best, she said, "Heartless."

The second question was "Are you voting for Daniel Seavey?" One granma asked if he was running for town council. The other two said "Who? Oh, American Idol. Don't watch that anymore." Then all three got into a spirited debate about The Voice. Two of them are watching and one is a diehard Dancing With The Stars fan.

So, based on my unscientific survey, it's not the grannies keeping Daniel in the contest. Maybe we can blame the middle-aged women with corporate jobs for a change? :)

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 6

This often is the magic formula for winning this thing....see Ruben, Kris, Lee, Philip, and  Candace. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz........

Actually, Clark is growing on me since he has great musicality. A camera-friendly Alex from last year.

I want to like Joey, but she looks like Art Major 101, and I didn't realize until last night that her singing voice is always like that. Can she sing in her real voice? Anyone ever heard it?

Daniel is not cute. Please stop telling him that because now he's believing it.

Jax is just too much of everything...styling and singing. Too exhausting.

Qaasim (sp?)...last night was better, but also too exhausting in general. The judges will need bodyguards when they finally cut him.

The two who went home....haven't we seen them before? Like every year?

Quentin....I could look at his face all day.

The others? Can't remember them.

I agree with you about Clark's talent. He can sing, he has a voice you want to listen to and boy can he play the piano. 

Of course that doesnt mean he will ever be successful.     

I do not like any of the contestants, with the exception of Clark this week they all sang off key a lot.     I dont know why I watched,  well yes I do, there was nothing else on.

Quazar , does he have Tourettes?   

You are probably right about the bodyguards. He looked like he was going to spaz out last week.   He needs to go home, get a job and get some dental work.

I don't blame all the grandmas.  Who knows?  Maybe it's hipsters in their twenties voting for him?

Good for you - if I bothered to vote, he'd be getting mine.

Twenty something Hipsters vote for 15 year old tadpoles (who look even younger?).

Also, Daniel appears to wear socks.  Hipsters hate people who wear socks!

• Love 2

Twenty something Hipsters vote for 15 year old tadpoles (who look even younger?).

Also, Daniel appears to wear socks.  Hipsters hate people who wear socks!

Who knows what Hipsters will be into next?  Maybe they'll start wearing two pairs of socks at one time!  (Hey, maybe I should start investing in hosiery futures.)

Idk, I'm just not sure enough people would bother voting for any contestant as a protest.  Not anymore.  And now I'm off to buy up sock stocks.