Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast In Other Roles

After Kyle Chandler of course, one that I quickly recognized was Sam Shepard as Chuck Yeager in The Right Stuff. He's actually more or less superfluous to the film as Yeager never became an astronaut, but damn if he doesn't have a great final scene.

I'm really not a Sissy Spacek fan, but one worth checking out is Terrence Malick's first film Badlands, where you also get a young Martin Sheen looking eerily like James Dean and giving a now-hilarious preview of the Bartlett jacket flip.

Jacinda from Real World London!  She still looks great.  The cinematography on this show can be a little rough on the actors, everyone looks hard and sweaty, but she always looked good.  Maybe a stylistic choice since she's not a real Rayburn, or she just doesn't age. 

Obviously Kyle Chandler from Friday Night Lights.  Such a great role.

I love Sissy Spacek.  Most memorable role is when she played Loretta Lynn in Coal Miners Daughter.  She was fantastic.  From the accent to the singing.  Beverly D'Angelo played Patsy Cline - wish she'd played Patsy in "Sweet Dreams" instead of Jessica Lang.

• Love 1

Second that, really nice to see Jacinda's continued success.  I wish more "reality stars" would take note of how you parlay exposure on a reality show into a genuine career.  (See also Jaime Chung)

Norbert Leo Butz (Kevin) from Broadway's Catch me if you can musical.  Also that play he did with Katie Holmes on Broadway.

Linda Cardellini (Meg) from Freaks and Geeks, ER, and Brokeback Mountain.

Indigo (Gwen, Inn Manager)  Remember her as Halia's daughter on Weeds.

My Sissy Spacek recommendation is 3 Women, the 1977 Altman movie.

I'd love to check out Ben Mendelsohn in other stuff. He is doing an amazing job as Danny--maybe too good a job? I spent the first 3 or so episodes wondering aloud, "why do they hate this guy?"

• Love 1

Jacinda from Real World London!  She still looks great.  

When I was watching the first episode, and Jacinda showed up as Kyle Chandler's wife and they have 2 teenage kids, my first thought was, 'Ughhh another young woman playing much older.'  And then I googled her and found out she's 42, and I almost fell over because it never occured to me that 1995 (which was when her season of The Real World aired) was twenty years ago. How is 1995 twenty years ago?

• Love 4

Ben Mendelsohn is fantastic in a wonderful film, Animal Kingdom. I highly recommend it. He was also in Starred Up, with Jack O'Connell from Unbroken. He's quite the chameleon, when you see him interviewed he is quite handsome and very Australian, but he can be alternately very charming and very terrifying onscreen. 

• Love 1

The woman who plays Johns wife was on a reality show?  Wow, never would have guessed. 

Yeah Jacinda was on the Real World back when it was an interesting social experiment, before it became a show about twenty-something idiots trying to sleep with and beat each other.

And London was notoriously the most boring at the time, so I don't think she had much to be embarrassed about.  I remember her being pretty and calling silverware "cutlery" which to my 5th grade self was very strange.

Speaking of MTV, I've had a crush on Enrique Murciano since he was on "Spyder Games", a daytime soap opera MTV tried to launch about the video game industry.

Edited by Morbs

RW London was so.boring that the transformation into contrived situations started the season afterwards. Still I remember jacinda modeled a lot..and I guess her biggest flaw was that she was kinda of messy.

Sissy space from Carrie and 3 women. Kyle chandler from home front, early edition, and Friday night lights.

Linda C. Was Velma in scooby doo.

Kyle Chandler was also on Grey's Anatomy as a bomb squad member who ends up getting killed on the job, leading to a quite emotional scene where one of the doctors has to shower his remains off of her. When Friday Night Lights started, Shonda Rhimes was a pretty big champion for it and said "You know that guy we blew up? He's on it."

Definitely know Kyle Chandler best for Friday Night Lights, but I also really enjoyed him in the King Kong remake, where he played the vain actor, who was in the production they were suppose to be filming.  He was fun pulling off that old-school persona you'd expect from that era.

Glad to see Jacinda Barrett on a better show; her last few haven't been so pretty (Zero Hour and The Following.)

Linda Caredllini was Sylvia Rosen on Mad Men, and was in one of better S1 episodes of Person of Interest.

Jamie McShane (Eric O'Bannon) is one of those character actors I've seen in a ton of stuff: Gone Girl, The Avengers, Murder in the First, Breaking Bad, Argo (which also had Kyle Chandler!)

I only remember Ben Mendelsohn for a brief role in The Dark Knight Rises, but I really want to check out is other stuff now.  I heard a lot about Animal Kingdom.

Ben Mendelsohn is fantastic in a wonderful film, Animal Kingdom. I highly recommend it. He was also in Starred Up, with Jack O'Connell from Unbroken. He's quite the chameleon, when you see him interviewed he is quite handsome and very Australian, but he can be alternately very charming and very terrifying onscreen. 

As an Aussie of a similar age to Ben Mendelssohn i've kind of grown up watching him and he's in some of my favourite aussie movies. In his younger years he was more the charming loveable larrikin. Animal Kingdom was a big departure for him playing such a baddie - it was quite jarring to be honest! But he did an awesome job.

I think he does a great job in this show and well as a Friday Night Lights and Freaks and Geeks fan what a treat to have a cast with Ben, Kyle Chandler and Linda Cardellini, and to top that off we get Sam Shepherd and Sissy Spacek.

For other Ben M movies - The Big Steel, The Year My Voice Broke and Idiot Box.

• Love 2

Norbert Leo Butz has done a ton of Broadway theater, both musicals and straight plays. He was Roger in Rent in the '90s, the Emcee in Cabaret, the original Fiyero in Wicked, won a Tony Award for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Catch Me If You Can, replaced Jeremy Piven in Speed-the-Plow after his mercury drama, co-starred with Katie Holmes in Dead Accounts and most recently starred in the musical adaptation of Big Fish (plus lots more)! It's fun seeing him on TV playing such a central character.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 1

I first saw Mia Kirshner in the awesomely terrible early '00s show "Wolf Lake" (also with Lou Diamond Phillips and Tim Matheson), and then in Not Another Teen Movie. When I first saw her on the bus, it was one of those "Oohh I know her!" moments.

ETA: Jamie McShane will always be an Irishman from Sons of Anarchy to me. He played Cameron Hayes, 

the Irishman who kidnapped Jax's son, Abel.

Edited by Samx

It's funny because I love Kyle Chandler and Jacinda Barrett but every scene they're in together totally takes me out of the show. I stupidly rewatched Friday Night Lights right before starting this and I just can't get used to seeing him with someone other than Connie Britton. By far one of my favorite TV couples. Shouldn't have watched this right after haha.

Had no idea that Norbert Leo Butz was such a renowned Broadway star. Very cool!

I remember first seeing Kyle Chandler on Homefront, a lovely but short-lived WWII drama, several years ago. My mom and I both thought he was adorable and anything he's been in since (a lot of stuff!) we always call him out as "our cute guy from Homefront!"

Can't believe I haven't seen Ben Mendelssohn in anything else. ..he just blows me away as Danny.

I'll always associate Kyle with Homefront as well.  IIRC, his character's storyline was originally supposed to take a backseat to his older brother's, played by David Newsom, but Kyle and Tammy Lauren (who played Ginger) had such chemistry that their characters become more prominent.

I tried to watch FNL, but just couldn't get into it.  No matter how good the acting is, it's still ultimately about teenagers playing football in Texas, which simply doesn't interest me.

ally862, I know what you mean. As I was watching, I said to myself, "She's not Connie!" That's not a dig on Jacinda since I've always liked her well enough in what she's done since TRW. (IIRC, I didn't liker her much for some reason on that show. Maybe I thought she was annoying or something.) I can't believe she's 42!

The funny thing is, something about him kept reminding me of Noah Taylor.

Ha my 2 favourite Aussie actors! I met Noah Taylor a few years ago as he live near where I live anyway told him The Year My Voice Broke was one of my favourite movies and he laughed and said he was stunned anyone had heard of it! LOL

• Love 1

Ha my 2 favourite Aussie actors! I met Noah Taylor a few years ago as he live near where I live anyway told him The Year My Voice Broke was one of my favourite movies and he laughed and said he was stunned anyone had heard of it! LOL

It's a really good movie, and I'm not even an Aussie.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 1:11 PM, rippleintime17 said:

Norbert Leo Butz has done a ton of Broadway theater, both musicals and straight plays. He was Roger in Rent in the '90s, the Emcee in Cabaret, the original Fiyero in Wicked, won a Tony Award for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Catch Me If You Can, replaced Jeremy Piven in Speed-the-Plow after his mercury drama, co-starred with Katie Holmes in Dead Accounts and most recently starred in the musical adaptation of Big Fish (plus lots more)! It's fun seeing him on TV playing such a central character.

I had no idea he'd done so much in theater! I know him from playing Dr. Byron Hale on Mercy Street (PBS). Though since I'm just getting into the show he got that role after the first season of Bloodline. And what a name!

I first saw Ben in Black Sea which led me to start checking out his other works, including Bloodline. Lost River is an odd movie but Ben plays a smarmy bank officer who convinces Christina Hendricks to do some strange things. He even does this dance, well it's hard to describe but there is a YT video of it. 

Enrique Murciano, Sam Shepard and Glenn Morshower were all in Black Hawk Down.

Coach Taylor will probably always be Coach Taylor to me.  Can't help it!  But he's fantastic in this show too (so far, I'm almost done with season 1).  

I also immediately recognized Linda Cardellini from ER, and Chloe Sevigny from Big Love.