Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: The Offer

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Still weighed down by his last meeting with Ra's al Ghul, Oliver returns home to find a new villain and his crew has started terrorizing Starling City - Michael Amar AKA Murmur a man whose mouth has been sewn shut. Meanwhile, Laurel and Nyssa bond over their issues with their fathers and Nyssa makes Laurel an offer. Thea is forced to come to terms with her father after Oliver brings Malcom to the loft to recover, and Lance shuts out both Laurel and the Arrow.

• Love 1

Real talk: 

I FUCKING LOVED THAT

Everyone talking, nothing happening the way I thought it would (apart from the offer). Oliver and everyone communicating, him telling Ra's no. Ra's being the other Arrow. I loved it, oh god. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 14

Well, that was completely fucking GREAT?

I am so, so, so glad that Oliver talked the offer over with Diggle and Felicity. OG TEAM ARROW FOREVER. 

And so much natural Olicity goodness in scenes. I was reminded why I love them in the first place. Felicity calling Oliver out that they're not together because it was his choice.  Love the one you're with, anyone?

Nyssa's rage at Ra's was awesome.

AND THEA AND ROY. RIDE OR DIE.

ETA: So glad I was wrong about the "Can I stay here?" line. HERE FOR IT. HERE FOR ALL OF IT. 

Edited by closer2fine
  • Love 7

Oh Oliver, your entire team is going to be torn down since you refused Ra's.  I like this storyline, instead of killing him, The League is going to tear down Team Arrow.

Nyssa stomping the crap out of Roy and Laurel was amazing.  I'd like for her to become a regular.  And because it's becoming a common theme in posts, Katrina Law might be the most beautiful woman on television.  Sorry had to get that last thing in there.

I'm guessing Oliver handed off Akio to Shado to protect him.

Edited by Jediknight

At first I thought we were up for the same old same old Oliver not telling anyone anything and brooding and then he opened up and all that Oliver and Felicity? They communicated and sorted through some stuff and she actually went a long way towards telling him how she felt about him? And Ray didn't annoy (although seriously at talking about Arrow shit with Ray on the other side of the wall, guys!)? And Oliver actually gave a definitive no and was confident about his choice? And Malcolm with that demented smile when he heard Thea say she thought about slitting his throat? EVEN HE DIDN'T ANNOY ME

I WANT TO CRY WITH HAPPINESS

• Love 7

Okay more thoughts.

I can't lie, I cheered with Roy and Thea

And I said. "Holy shit!" when Ra's face was revealed in the hood.  The show hasn't fooled me in a long time in a good way, so I was really happy about that.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

Despite some issues, I actually really liked a lot of that show.  Some great character interaction between Oliver and Felicity (and Diggle too), a terrific performance by Paul Blackthorne in the scene with Laurel, strong work by Willa, and more Nyssa.  Definitely better than where they left it.

Though I really want to think that Oliver is playing a long con because there's no way he can be this freakin naïve about Ra.  I don't trust this show to do a storyline like that.  Also, is Nyssa going to be joining Oliver in Lane sister swapping?

Edited by benteen

I absolutely adore this Oliver Queen.

One or two meh moments but overall a great episode.  It's amazing how much better the show is when the characters talk to each other and not at or around each other.

I think Felicity and Oliver are on their way back to each other.  She told him they aren't together by his choice.  She also told him she's happy as long as he's part of her life.

He figured out why he's doing what he's doing.

Thea was great in all her scenes. Go Willa!

Ra's games are beginning because Oliver said no!

As much as I don't care for Laurel, her bonding with Nyssa might be a great improvement to the story if it's ongoing.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 7

I was pleasantly surprised and EFF YEAH because it's been so long since I last felt that!

Some tidbits:

Oliver: "I didn't defy death just to become an instrument of it."
Ra’s: “We are justice. Isn’t that what you’ve dedicated your life to?”

Oliver: “You still need training.”

Laurel: “When are you going to stop telling me that?”

Oliver: “When you no longer need training.”

I did not expect them to play up the Olicity scenes like this while Felicity was with Ray, but holy Smoak they did.

tumblr_nlfq2lTRza1rt5ctno2_250.gif  tumblr_nlfq2lTRza1rt5ctno3_250.gif

tumblr_nlfq2lTRza1rt5ctno4_250.gif  tumblr_nlfq2lTRza1rt5ctno1_250.gif

SOBBING.

Fact remains that an actual conversation between people would solve basically all problems on this show, BUT. This episode was so much better than I expected.

Edited by Soulfire
  • Love 20

Can Oliver fly now? Because it looked like he just fired his arrow into thin air after talking to Lance. 

Jokes aside, I was very pleased by all the Olicity scenes tonight and the character development by Oliver in general. I think he's ready to change his stance regarding the Arrow and Oliver Queen's coexistence. Unfortunately, I doubt Ra's is going to allow that change to come into effect. I would have loved to have heard Diggle and Felicity's "this week in the life of Oliver Queen" conversation.

Maseo said "What you meant to Akio." Yeah, the kid's a goner or at least Maseo thinks he is. 

• Love 5

BUT I JUST QUIT. WHY WOULD THEY COME OUT WITH A GREAT NEW EPISODE AFTER I JUST QUIT?! Just my luck tbqh :p Should I watch it? 

Yes. I was dreading this so much, but OMG. It was so many good moments and the story was good AND PEOPLE TALKED TO EACH OTHER.

• Love 3

It's been so long since I've truly enjoyed an episode of Arrow that I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with myself right now.

I loved all of the fantastic character moments tonight, for everyone, even Laurel. I wish they always wrote these characters as being so open and honest because everything feels more authentic that way.

Felicity will always be happy as long as Oliver is in her life? Be still my shipper heart.  The only thing missing was her picking up Ray's call and ending it with him right there. Still, I think we're past the darkness and moving towards the dawn for these two.

• Love 4

Can Oliver fly now? Because it looked like he just fired his arrow into thin air after talking to Lance. 

He shot it INTO THE MOON

Yes. I was dreading this so much, but OMG. It was so many good moments and the story was good AND PEOPLE TALKED TO EACH OTHER.

Same, haha. Before the ep started I was all filled with dread and thought, "Oh lord, here we go." 

BUT THEN WE WENT THERE

Ra's gave Oliver the ol' Nanda Parbat time share spiel! They tricked us with ten minutes of Oliver being his usual broody, secretive self. BUT THEN HE AND DIGGLE TALKED AND THE DREADED RAY/FELICITY AND OLIVER SCENE WASN'T SO BAD AND THEN OLIVER ACTUALLY SOUGHT OUT FELICITY TO TALK TO HER AND THERE WERE FEELINGS AND LANCE AND LAUREL ARE STILL ON THE OUTS BUT HE DID GOOD BY HER AND NYSSA GAVE ME FEELINGS AND OLIVER FIGURED OUT WHAT HE WAS DOING AND DECIDED TO FIGHT FOR HIMSELF FINALLY AND THERE WAS SO MUCH TALKING AND NO MISUNDERSTANDINGS 

AND WHAT DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Love 22

I can't decide if Oliver is so desperate that he finally broke down and talked to Felicity or if now that she's officially off the table he feels he can once again talk to her.  A mix of both probably.  Honestly, I was just so gratified to have a taste of old school Oliver and Felicity I don't really want to question why now we have it (but obviously my brain won't turn off even when I want it to.)

I knew I missed the Oliver and Felicity dynamic but dam, I could just about weep now that we had it back again. 

Nyssa also made me want to weep.  (A very emotional episode for me) She's so lonely and heartbroken.  I want Laurel to go to dinner with her and be her friend and let Nyssa teach her things because I think Nyssa desperately needs something to cling to.  Felicity's propping of Laurel never worked for me because Felicity never got anything out of it (and it made no sense beyond PLOT!) but the way Nyssa comes at it, I WANT her to fix Laurel because it's fixing Nyssa. 

Ollie in the HK flashback was both annoying me (the singsong way he was talking to the kid) and worrying me (the very public manner they were traipsing around town.  So Shado or her evil twin?  Yeah, next week.

Cap Lance didn't exactly utter the sentence of death.  He said Laurel Lance, not Dinah Laurel Lance.  Maybe he gets to live?  Crosses fingers. 

• Love 10

I'm guessing Oliver handed off Akio to Shado to protect him.

Someone timeline me. Shado wasn't already dead at this point? Edited by GaryE

BUT I JUST QUIT. WHY WOULD THEY COME OUT WITH A GREAT NEW EPISODE AFTER I JUST QUIT?! Just my luck tbqh :p Should I watch it? 

Yes.  You should watch.  You can always quit next week.  :)

Sara didn't say Dinah either, and look what happened to her. :(

Crap.  You're right. 

Someone timeline me. Shado wasn't already dead at this point?

No, Shado is dead.  She died on the island before Oliver ever left. 

• Love 2

Color me surprised. I totally forgot the show was on tonight - this is where I am with Arrow, but after reading the first few comments, I'm going to watch. I'm even going to wait to read the rest of this thread. Thanks East/Central coasters!

• Love 3

Fav line of the night: 

"What, you waiting around for a thank you?"

"That's not why I do this."

He listened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I swear I got tears in my eyes. 

• Love 13

Okay that was surprisingly good. I was expecting dark and broody as usual this year but this one set the right tone like in ep the Brave and the Bold.

Well after reading through the other posts I'm glad I am not the only one who thought Nyssa was about to follow Oliver's lead in going from Lance sister to Lance sister.

What is it with shows that I like bringing in Brandon Routh during their 3rd season's to play superheroish/spoiler characters? However this episode really contrasted just how much Felicity shines with Oliver when they aren't putting up walls as compared to Ray and Felicity.

I don't know what this says about me and my taste in movies but I couldn't help but think of Robin Hood: Men in Tights after Ra's tells that guy to tell everyone about what he has done. Unlike other Robin Hood's (Arrow's) he can speak with an English accent. Or whatever accent he is doing/has. I wonder if any one will actually notice that this Arrow has an accent.

• Love 1
No, Shado is dead.  She died on the island before Oliver ever left. 

Yeah Shado died on the island, but she popped up tonight in the flashback.  Unless they go the evil twin route, Shado's still alive in the flashbacks, after dying on the island.  It's comic media, and nobody stays dead in comics except for Uncle Ben.

• Love 4

This face right here? This is why I ship Olicity. And I was never a shipper before this show. 

tumblr_nlfsdaPBW01qzmdweo1_500.gif

HOW PRECIOUS IS THIS?!?! HE SCRUNCHED HIS NOSE. 

I feel like I'm having a stroke. That's how good the episode was.

Unrelated, I really actually liked the Nyssa and Laurel scene. That's a major first for me. Katrina Law is just so damned good. I could deal with Laurel getting some REAL training.

• Love 3

Yeah Shado died on the island, but she popped up tonight in the flashback.  Unless they go the evil twin route, Shado's still alive in the flashbacks, after dying on the island.  It's comic media, and nobody stays dead in comics except for Uncle Ben.

Which is why I keep checking my watch for Sara.

• Love 4

My love for Katrina Law knows no ends. She is seriously so beautiful, I think if I saw her in person, my face would melt, Indiana Jones style. Plus she is super talented, which makes her even more beautiful. She just needs to either be on this show more, or get on a spin-off, ASAP.

Damn you Arrow. Just when I think I`m out, they pull me back in. My shipper heart soars again! The horribly brooding was kept to a minimum! Its amazing! Much re-watch! 

• Love 5

Color me surprised. I totally forgot the show was on tonight - this is where I am with Arrow, but after reading the first few comments, I'm going to watch. I'm even going to wait to read the rest of this thread. Thanks East/Central coasters!

Haha, same. I completely forgot it was on until I briefly checked twitter and someone on my timeline wondered if Laurel was now a bisexual. No but seriously now. Why are they wondering that?! Don't tell me there was undertones in the Laurel/Nyssa scene?

Should I watch, even though I've not fully seen the previous 3/4 episodes?! Decisions. Decisions. 

Still in disbelief about the offer, and those scenes between Oliver and Ra's might have been the low point of the season for me. There has been some very dumb stuff this season, but those scenes just made me eyes glaze over. I would have cheered when they left Nanda Parbat if I was someone who did that type of thing, but I'm not.

Oliver's 'Ra's saw right into my future!' line bugged. No, he looked at your present and told you things that were obvious. Laurel lying to her father because of his heart condition was one of the most ridiculous 'only on television' kind of plots I have ever seen, but the fact that they're still using it now so Ra's can be right and further this damn offer storyline is odd to me.

I did like the rest of the episode, though. Particularly the Laurel/Quentin scene, and anything with Thea or Nyssa. Didn't like that Roy and Laurel managed to stop Nyssa at the beginning of the episode, but it was amusing that Roy finally tranqed Nyssa. Still amused thinking about Nyssa tranqing him after his little flip earlier in the season. Also loved Thea's half-hearted 'league of assasins training' explanation for Nyssa breaking out of the cage. Heh!

• Love 2

Holy fuck, I'm amazed. Did arrow just pull a last minute hail Mary? I think they did.

I don't have anything bad to say about it but I'm pretty sure

nyssa is going to be the one to Lazarus Sara

I was shocked by the whole thing, but still wanted Thea to kill Malcolm.

Nyssa was absolutely perfect. Though I guess Talia doesn't exist in this universe.

I haven't been able to figure out Shado yet but I wish Tatsu would show back up.

ETA : I really am loving John Barrowman so much as Malcolm.  I don't think he gets enough credit for the quiet less OTT scenes. I thought he was really compelling in his scenes with Thea tonight.

• Love 6

So good! Thanks to those who watched in real time. I checked in after the show was over, saw the first couple of posts, then scampered off to watch.

Great Oliver/Felicity scenes - when Oliver said he wasn't doing it for the thanks I may have squealed a little bit.

Why did Oliver not tell Lance that he wanted to tell him about Sara, but Laurel didn't want him to? Why when he was beating himself up for not telling Lance did Felicity not say, "Laurel made that decision"? Grr.

How did Nyssa end up back in the cage? Didn't she beat up Roy and Laurel and run off? I like that Laurel consistently gets her ass kicked, but why is she still in the field? Why won't they have her acknowledge her weakness? Why does she just act smug WHEN SHE IS A LIBILITY TO HER TEAM? Ahem. I'm sorry. I just cannot seem to get over my dislike of that character.

Loved that we got several scenes with just TA in the lair. I count Roy as part of the team; he doesn't make me seethe.

Fun episode, for sure.

• Love 1

I also forgot that Oliver doesn't dance,

so I guess that's probably why we're not getting one in the next ep, since it seems that while Felicity might bring Ray as her +1, they're not serious enough for her to not flirt her ass off, haha. 

Sorry, when I initially posted this I forgot that this was spoilery. I'll keep it out of this topic next time!

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

Jesus just go and make beautiful babies! Dammit!

tumblr_nlfrz737WI1qzmdweo2_500.gif

tumblr_nlfrz737WI1qzmdweo1_500.gif

Sigh.  So much pretty.  So much happy. 

I suppose the next few episode will be packed with angst now, but for the next week I get to savor this.

I ask for so little.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

Oh show!  Just when I think I have you figured out, you do something like this episode.  People having conversations, issues not being shoved under the rug, people who have a right to be mad, getting mad.  I'm speechless, but sadly for those stuck reading this post, I can still write. ;)

Ra's, you're the worst!  "Oliver, I want you to be the new Ra's, leader of the League of Assassins."  "No can do. I don't kill anymore."  "No worries, just tell the league members to stop and they totally will because they live to take orders from some outsider they don't know and who gets to take over only because he didn't die."  I mean there is no way this could end badly.

Dressing up like the Arrow.  Really Ra's.  So when you said it was an offer, you were just being a liar, liar, pants on fire. Geez, if you can't trust the leader of LOA, who can you trust. 

Normally Malcolm, I would say you were also the worst, but you were just kind pathetic this episode.  Lying on the couch, whining.

Poor Thea! Oliver dumps sickly Malcolm to recuperate at her place one minute and the next he is all "Laters.  Gotta run." No wonder she ran off to Roy's.  I never really cared about Roy/Thea when they were together before, but I kinda like them now.

Nyssa, you are the ultimate badass! She's been stuck in a cage and it still only took her like 2 seconds to kick both Roy and Laurel's asses.  Honestly, she totally could have disarmed Roy when he was waving the gun at her, she just didn't want to.  Nyssa, your father sucks.  Forget about him and come stay in Starling City.  You can kick people asses, just because you want to.  

Oh man, I think I like Nyssa and Laurel hanging out.  They work for me as friends.

Oliver saves Laurel.  "Laurel, you need more training." "When are you going to stop saying that" "When you get more training."  Hee!

I was sure they were going to have Quentin forgive Laurel quickly.  So I'm thrilled that he is just not able to do that now or maybe ever.  Get mad, stay mad, Quentin. You have every right too.

Oliver and Thea talked about Moira.  Oliver and Felicity talked about his father. What are you doing to me show?  Why can't we have nice things like this all the time?  

The Oliver/Diggle and Oliver/Felicity scenes were just so nice.

Oliver told Diggle about Ra's offer.  The two had actual conversations (more than one in the same episode) about what was happening.  Diggle straight up told Oliver, Ra's was messing with his head again. Listen to Diggle, Oliver!  The man knows what's what.  And I love that Diggle went and told Felicity. If I can't get through to him alone, I'll bring in re-enforcements. Original Team Arrow lives!

"Just because Lance is pissed and Felicity is momentarily distracted" Hee! No one buys this Raylicity romance.

Oliver/Felicity/Ray was so much better than it could have been.  Oliver shows up.  Ray goes away.  Oliver and Felicity talk about the mission. I like it.  Not much as I would like Ray to just fly away in his suit, but still...

"Thanks for coming"  "Why wouldn't I"  "That's not rhetorical.  Ray and I may be a something…but I'm still committed to the team."  A something. Yeah that just screams romance, Felicity. 

Oliver and Felicity talking about Ra's offer and why Oliver is on this crusade was so well done.  That's how it used to be all the time. "Are we interrupting something?"  Yes, Roy you were.  Go away!

The final Oliver/Felicity scene just put a big dopey smile on my face.  The teasing between them.  Oliver saying thanks and admitting Felicity was right.  Felicity saying Oliver was handsome. "You say you want me to be happy.  Having you in my life makes me happy."  Loved it so much. 

Ray , you have the worst timing ever.  Just shoo!

Okay, so where the hell is Nanda Parbat?  I mean people get back and forth from that place faster than I can get through the drive thru at Dunkin' Donuts in the morning. 

Edited by MsSchadenfreude
  • Love 12

Still in disbelief about the offer, and those scenes between Oliver and Ra's might have been the low point of the season for me. There has been some very dumb stuff this season, but those scenes just made me eyes glaze over.

OMG yes, SO BAD. And Oliver made it worse with his "Ra's predicted my future" Oliver is very lucky he has people like Felicity, Diggle, and Maseo to be his eyes, ears, and BRAINS. 

The rest was great, how easy was that, how great were those Team Arrow scenes, but really all of the scene partners worked (save Ras/Oliver) because the conversations were meaningful, and character driven. It makes the last 15 episodes of bullshit even more annoying honestly.

Anyway, Olicity were adorable, Ray managed to be benign and scruffily hot, and Thea reunited with Roy!

• Love 3

Jesus just go and make beautiful babies! Dammit!

tumblr_nlfrz737WI1qzmdweo2_500.gif

This face right here? This is why I ship Olicity. And I was never a shipper before this show.

HOW PRECIOUS IS THIS?!?! HE SCRUNCHED HIS NOSE.

I died. I'm reporting from beyond the grave. Who wrote this??? Where were they for the rest of the season? Where did this come from after 14 episodes without a sign of it? MORE IMPORTANTLY WHY WERE THEY SO CUTE HERE, CONSTANTLY, AND WHY CAN'T WE HAVE THIS ALL THE TIME.

Seriously, is this like this week's Flash, and we're going to get all of this taken away, because it feels like a trick.

Also, seems like Felicity really doesn't know that Ray's suit works. What a turd. 

What are they doing with him, seriously?

• Love 7

Oliver saves Laurel.  "Laurel, you need more training." "When are you going to stop saying that" "When you get more training."  Hee!

I really liked this exchange, because even though Oliver still obviously doesn't like Laurel being in the field, he's stopped telling her what to do and is letting her make her own choices.  And yet he's still giving her very good advice, albeit in a snarky way (which I enjoyed).  Laurel's a big girl and if she wants to get her ass handed to her by trying to be a vigilante, that's her prerogative.

• Love 1

This episode is making me head tilt. I was just not expecting that. I wanted Oliver to talk to Diggle and Felicity. I figured we would get Diggle, but I never expected he would open up to Felicity. They actually started to tie Felicity to his humanity. I'm shocked. That being said, I loved that she didn't make the decision for him. She just got him to think. Growth. I love it.

I thought Felicity seemed really calm, almost too calm, until the Happy you are in My Life Line. She got teary eyed. She was so afraid to lose him again. I thought they would ramp up the angst, but instead we got them re-establishing the connection. Its like the pressure is off and we get Flarrow Olicity with some old school S2/S2. 

How much of a threat is Ray supposed to be again?

I'm really enjoying Thea now. Willa, Stephen and Colton are killing their scenes. Malcolm is still crazy. Yep. No cheese on that cracker.

I still don't understand Ra's coming down to Starling City personally. Its like Oliver offended him and now he is poking him. 

Poor Lance. I can't stand that the backwards moment of the Arrow and Lance relationship. Its not Oliver's fault. Has Lance asked Laurel who the Arrow is? Did I miss that really obvious question?

• Love 3

I can't believe I actually watched this episode and liked it. I can't remember the last time that happened. There wasn't a single weak link in this one--it was like all of the stars aligned once every 100 years. Characters actually communicated, interactions made perfect sense, motives weren't contrived...are we sure this was really an episode of "Arrow"?

It's amazing how much more enjoyable this show can be when the mopey brooding is kept to a minimum. I missed this Oliver Queen so damn much. And they let him be useful again by keeping the amount of Ray time to a minimum. Miracles can happen.

Diggle truth tea was fed to Oliver in perfect quantities as needed. Felicity was back to being her adorable self while still managing to impart some much-needed, hero-building wisdom.

Nyssa and Ra's scenes, Quentin and Laurel scenes, Oliver and Thea scenes...strong day for family interaction. Love it.

I'm completely on board with Nyssa and Laurel bonding, TBH. Surprisingly enough, that's turning out to be the least contrived option for training Laurel to become BC.

Damn, I didn't realize just how much I missed meaningful, yet completely charming Oliver/Felicity scenes until this episode. I felt like I was watching a S1 or S2 episode. My only complaint is that it feels like complete whiplash to see them so chummy after 14 episodes of isolation. It made me wonder why the hell we needed the Ray/Felicity sideshow in the first place.

It's too bad this episode will likely get creamed in the ratings for a variety of reasons (Empire finale competition, daylight savings time change, etc.) because it deserves to be right up there with the season premiere and 3x09.

• Love 9