Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: License to Sell

Jessica puts off taking the exam for her real estate license because she fears she isn't good enough to compete with Orlando's top realtor. Eddie looks to Louis for advice on how to win over older girl Nicole, but puts his own spin on his dad's suggestions.

The Nicole subplot is so weird. I wonder if it's from the memoir. The actress is fine, but she's so much older looking than Hudson so it comes off icky to me. I usually FF their scenes. Her dynamic with Honey is more interesting.

The Nicole subplot is so weird. I wonder if it's from the memoir.

I'm pretty sure that Nicole is totally fictional. I don't remember her from the book (although it's been two years since I read it so it's possible I totally forgot about her if she's real).

The Nicole subplot is so weird. I wonder if it's from the memoir. The actress is fine, but she's so much older looking than Hudson so it comes off icky to me.

Isn't that character supposed to be 3 years older? I find it icky when he hits on her, but less so because she so clearly laughs it off. Their interaction was more friend-ey to me this one. At least so far I think it's heading in that direction. (Hope?)

The age difference with Eddie and Nicole makes the scenes very stilted, so I didn't find them funny.   I also didn't enjoy watching a Jessica who was lacking in confidence.  So overall, not a great one.  

• Love 1

A three year difference at 11 and 14 seems so much more icky than a 3 year difference at 21 and 24 or even 41 and 44. I think, for me, because Eddie still seems very much a child, him 'flirting' with a girl who is a legit teenager is kind of ... uncomfortable. 

• Love 4

Isn't that character supposed to be 3 years older? I find it icky when he hits on her, but less so because she so clearly laughs it off. Their interaction was more friend-ey to me this one. At least so far I think it's heading in that direction. (Hope?)

The age difference with Eddie and Nicole makes the scenes very stilted, so I didn't find them funny.   I also didn't enjoy watching a Jessica who was lacking in confidence.  So overall, not a great one.

A three year difference at 11 and 14 seems so much more icky than a 3 year difference at 21 and 24 or even 41 and 44. I think, for me, because Eddie still seems very much a child, him 'flirting' with a girl who is a legit teenager is kind of ... uncomfortable.

These 6th-8th grade "middle" schools are ruining the fabric of America and are an affront against Nature.

Nature/God/The Flying Spaghetti Monster meant for people to attend a K-6 Elementary school, a 7-8 Junior High School and then a 9-12 High School. In that case, Eddie and Nicole wouldn't even attend the same school and it wouldn't be an issue.

• Love 2

I didn't love this episode. I don't think Eddie and Nicole have much chemistry. Maybe they aren't supposed to, but I don't really find it funny either. Also, aren't we past random fat jokes?

I'm blanking out. Where was the fat joke?

The age difference between Eddie and Nicole doesn't bother me in the least. Of course he has a crush on her. I doubt she thinks the same way about him. Maybe she thinks he's funny, but I can see her liking him enough to be friends, and him changing his feelings so that he sees her as a friend.

• Love 3

Most Impressive, from least to most

4. Evan scoring a 99 on the Math exam

3. A husband (Louis) telling his wife (Jessica) that she photographs angry

2. Jessica admitting to Evan and Emery that she didn't take the licensing exam and letting them quiz her the same way she quizzes them

1. Grandmother taking the Cleveland Browns to the Super Bowl in Madden 95

Not enough Emery and Evan I'd say.

Unless they get rid of Eddie, I'm not sure how much more time there could be for Evan and Emery. As it is, E & E were in several scenes

• Jessica tells them to always listen to her
  • Quizzed by Jessica while E & E are studying (did this happen twice, or just once at the end of the epsiode)
  • Flew the the salon style hair dryer through space.  Sadly, they broke-up on re-entry (I was thinking of Major Tom the whole time)
  • Secured the premises and rounded-up a suspect after Jessica claimed her realator's license was stolen
  • Quizzed Jessica so she could practice for the exam while admitting it was fun when Mom was bad
  • Emery told the family that one of his girlfriends said he didn't need to use the salon hair dryer because his hair was already perfect (I think this was in one of the scenes above)

The age difference betw Eddie and Nicole doesn't bother me in the least. Of course he has a crush on her. I doubt she thinks the same way about him. Maybe she thinks he's funny, but I can see her liking him enough to be friends, and him changing his feelings so that he sees her as a friend.

Yeah, it seems perfectly normal to me too. If she were reciprocating, it would be weird, or if she were three years younger instead of three years older, I could see the problem, but an 11-year-old boy with a crush on a 13- or 14-year-old girl seems like something that happens every day in every middle school everywhere.

• Love 4

Is she supposed to be 13-14 though?  For some reason I figured she was 16-17.  But I guess the detention plot wouldn't work in that case. 

I think my issue with this is that she seems so much older and he seems so much younger.  But hopefully going forward they keep it as friends and I think that relationship would work better for me.

ETA: Grandma getting any year's Browns to the superbowl seem pretty impressive to me.  Although she probably did the trick my brother loved in Madden '9X which was to exclusively do fake field goals/punts on offense.

Edited by Matt K

What's worse is him hitting on Nicole's stepmother.

• Love 1

Unless they get rid of Eddie, I'm not sure how much more time there could be for Evan and Emery. As it is, E & E were in several scenes

Right now I feel like there can never be too much Evan and Emery. I adore these two. Funny that when the series first started, I didn't think they looked like brothers, but now I can't unsee them as brothers. They're the best.

• Love 2

I know its just TV and they take license with professions, but the Real Estate plot line is on my nerves. I sell real estate and that is not how it works. Not now and not 20 years ago. The first house Jessica "sold"  she wouldn't  have received any commission. No firm was going to pay an unlicensed agent a commission or even deal with her, not even in crazy Florida. Jessica should have been in a pre licensing class and then she would have taken the state exam to get her license. Licensed agents don't take the real estate exam again  when their license is up for renewal. You take continuing education classed with other licensed agents. Also the test wouldn't be every day so you can just stroll in when you feel like it. 

I don't work in real estate, but even I was questioning that whole retake the test right away plot. I remember back in the 90s before everything was available online most professional exams were only offered a few times a year as paper tests (the CPA exam was offered only twice a year in California and even the SATs were only offered once a month for high school kids) so if you just ran out as Jessica did, you couldn't just fo back a few days later and retake it. Fast forward 20 years and a lot of those same tests you can take any time at official test centers year round on a computer, which is awesome because you don't have to wait months for the next exam. But back in '95 there wasn't any test that you could retake just two days later. And at most tests you would not get your results or your professional license the same day you took the test. The results came in the mail several weeks later.

Evan scoring a 99 on the Math exam

I thought it was a spelling test? And if course my brain immediately asked how he could get 99%. Did his teacher put 100 words on the spelling test and he missed one? At my elementary school, spelling tests had 10 words in the lower grades and 20 words once you got into the higher grades. Then in middle school we had 20 words for the whole class and an extra 10-15 bonus words for the smart kids. In none of those scenarios is it possible to get a 99!
  • Love 1

We got a Melissa Joan Hart reference! She was my hero in the 90s! For that reason alone, this episode was a win for me. 

I totally would have bought a hair product that MJH used in elementary school or middle school. 

Is she supposed to be 13-14 though?  For some reason I figured she was 16-17.  But I guess the detention plot wouldn't work in that case. 

So I looked them up since my wife was pretty certain she was 14.  Apparently Hudson Yang is 11 and Luna Blaise is only 13.  So the age gap is only 2 years. 

• Love 2
Luna Blaise is only 13.

Really? She looks 15 on the show, so the difference seems huge.  I saw some interview photos with her, Evan and Emery and she looks younger in real life, so it's weird that they make her look older.

• Love 2

No confidence Jessica is too sad. I'm glad she got her mojo back. I loved when she just rolled up the window on Honey. And her "Always be listening to me" speech to the boys. 

Also, I really liked that Honey had more confidence this episode. I loved her little, "oh no, I'm not in the ex-wife's shadow, she's in mine." The neighbor ladies are mean to Honey. Nicole is mean to Honey. It's nice for her to have at least one thing she feels she's winning. 

These 6th-8th grade "middle" schools are ruining the fabric of America and are an affront against Nature.

Nature/God/The Flying Spaghetti Monster meant for people to attend a K-6 Elementary school, a 7-8 Junior High School and then a 9-12 High School. In that case, Eddie and Nicole wouldn't even attend the same school and it wouldn't be an issue.

Exactly. Except 9th graders should be back in Junior High. Freshmen are the wooooooorst. They just are not ready for high school. Most of the boys haven't hit puberty yet and still look and act like little kids. Meanwhile the girls have hit puberty, but they're not use to it yet so they're easily manipulated by the Senior guys. It's just sad all around. 

• Love 1

I went to 6-8 middle school although some schools in our state were 7-9 junior high.  Don't think we had any just 7-8 grade institutions.   

My favorite bit,Louis pointing out that Eddie still slept with a glow worm and Eddie responding "The G-Dub sleeps with me." .  Cracked me up, hard.

• Love 1

Wow, a 6 item bulletpoint list arguing what I thought was an incredibly innocuous opinion!  I am duly chastened.  

No worries!

Just remember:

Always

Be

Celebrating

(I presume the ABC on the cake was a reference to Glengarry Glen Ross)

99% on a spelling test? Maybe he got partial credit. (Though that never happened to me in elementary school with my spelling tests.)

I'm loving the 90s fashion too. I was a pre-teen/teenager in the 90s too. The plaid. The scrunchies (though that may have been a leftover from the 80s).

Scrunchies were definitely still alive and well in the 90s! And Nicole's dress was totally something that Angela Chase would have worn!

No worries!

Just remember:

Always

Be

Celebrating

Or if Emery (or was it Evan?) has his way:

Always

Best

Celebrating

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Exactly. Except 9th graders should be back in Junior High. Freshmen are the wooooooorst. They just are not ready for high school. Most of the boys haven't hit puberty yet and still look and act like little kids. Meanwhile the girls have hit puberty, but they're not use to it yet so they're easily manipulated by the Senior guys. It's just sad all around. 

My town was weird with our school setup, although I think it was mostly due to building space and the changing population size. We had elementary schools K-5, middle school 6-7, junior high 8-9, and high school 10-12. I guess a lot of you would have like that setup in terms of separating out certain age groups. :-)

Nobody mentioned the chipwich? Yum.

I love Evan and Emery, but I don't want more of them per episode. Leave 'em wanting more. Learned that lesson with Urkel and countless other sitcom sidekicks.

Jessica looked so pretty and sexy, yet classy in that blue flowered dress.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 2