Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I like the one little girl yawning in the video Becca posted.  She doesn't even bother covering her mouth - she is tired and will let you know.

It is sad when the kids are a source of family income.  All playing together for a Christmas concert each year, or at a nursing home once a month, things like that are fine but having to depend on the kids to make your family income - just no.  Parents that is your job!  So go get a job or two!

• Love 7

I just saw Erin's statement where she said that Gil and Dr. Paine joined the board in 2014 and were not aware of all the covered up accusations. Actually, I may believe them, only because of how corrupt the whole thing was run. I don't think the board was telling anyone on the outside what was happening. Still, I'm not sure I believe them. Just maybe.

Editing to add: I was just checking to see if my comment on Jill Rodrigues's hair tutorial was removed, and it was. (I was watching the one where it's just her talking about makeup and looking good for your husband, and she said wives should keep trim for her husbands.) So I politely asked if she encourages husbands to stay trim for their wives. Bam -- deleted! I got a chuckle out of it as least and hope she's smart enough to understand my jab. ;)

Oh, and WOW. Check out this video and be prepared to howl with laughter. If you can't stomach the whole thing, it really starts to get hilarious at the 4:20 mark. I'm not making fun of the poor kids; it's not their fault, but rather their parents. It's a Christmas performance and truly makes the Duggars sound like world class musicians.

Damn if they're going to pawn off their kids to sing for their supper and support the family income at least get them properly instructed.  The kid with the trumpet may have an old out of tune instrument.  Everything keeps getting worse - not the kids fault, they aren't properly instructed but they're trying against all odds. What rotten parents overall.  Well, I only got through about a third of the video and that was all I could take.  Feel sorry for the kids overall. 

• Love 4

I physically shudder and shiver to imagine what goes on in that R house behind those saccharine sweet voices. What does it take to raise robotic, fakely polite kids like that? Teen boys forced to wear 1950's hair styles and shirts buttoned up to the chin! And girls with obviously fake high pitched voices dripping with sweetness! Yeah right! I had 3 kids and I guess the level of discipline (punishment) in that house to have such compliant children must be horrendous. Just look at the highly anxious 3 year old.

• Love 8

I physically shudder and shiver to imagine what goes on in that R house behind those saccharine sweet voices. What does it take to raise robotic, fakely polite kids like that? Teen boys forced to wear 1950's hair styles and shirts buttoned up to the chin! And girls with obviously fake high pitched voices dripping with sweetness! Yeah right! I had 3 kids and I guess the level of discipline (punishment) in that house to have such compliant children must be horrendous. Just look at the highly anxious 3 year old.

Would not be surprised if rod beating and blanket training are and have been daily occurrences for years. Makes me sick.  

• Love 5

Hadn't even thought about that - along the lines of what you guys are saying, what if they don't get jobs/bookings?  Do they blame the kids? "You didn't play the trumpet right now we are never going to be asked to come back to this church?" or "You were yawning and they audience doesn't like that.  That is why the offering/our paycheck was so low." Ugh!  I hope not!

• Love 2

OMFG, WHAT A SHITSHOW! Her kids look severely malnourished. I know I shouldn't laugh but OMFG. I've been sick with a cold and this video just made my day. Churches actually pay to hear them play music??!!

Yes, isn't it interesting how the kids are all emaciated while the parents (particularly the husband) are robust? I guess Jill (I assume that she does the meal planning and prep in accordance with their belief system) subscribes to the Duggar/Gothard belief that since she was married before she had kids, her husband comes first. So maybe he eats his fill, and the kids get to fight over whatever's leftover.

• Love 5

Hadn't even thought about that - along the lines of what you guys are saying, what if they don't get jobs/bookings? Do they blame the kids? "You didn't play the trumpet right now we are never going to be asked to come back to this church?" or "You were yawning and they audience doesn't like that. That is why the offering/our paycheck was so low." Ugh! I hope not!

They seem to rely on pity. They show up to a church, people see their slum on wheels and their urchin children, and money becomes available for the poor unfortunate family.
  • Love 6

OMG.  Have the children all gone deaf from the excessive hairspray on the stink RV?  I am surprised we didn't hear dogs howling from the pain in their ears listening to that godawful noise.

The Rodriguez kids look horribly malnourished and sickly.  They are like something from a Dickens novel.  They all have huge dark circles under their eyes.  They do need to be saved from their crazy, exploitative parents.  

• Love 6
(edited)

All the kids are looking anxious and tense; I honestly don't think I've actually seen a three year old wringing her hands before. And the older ones are sucking up to the parents, trying to gain brownie points, which is never a good sign. And then there's that creepy sing-song voice on top of it all. There are some severe Mommy Dearest vibes going on here. NO WIRE HANGERS!

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 4
(edited)

I just saw Erin's statement where she said that Gil and Dr. Paine joined the board in 2014 and were not aware of all the covered up accusations. Actually, I may believe them, only because of how corrupt the whole thing was run. I don't think the board was telling anyone on the outside what was happening. Still, I'm not sure I believe them. Just maybe.

Editing to add: I was just checking to see if my comment on Jill Rodrigues's hair tutorial was removed, and it was. (I was watching the one where it's just her talking about makeup and looking good for your husband, and she said wives should keep trim for her husbands.) So I politely asked if she encourages husbands to stay trim for their wives. Bam -- deleted! I got a chuckle out of it as least and hope she's smart enough to understand my jab. ;)

Oh, and WOW. Check out this video and be prepared to howl with laughter. If you can't stomach the whole thing, it really starts to get hilarious at the 4:20 mark. I'm not making fun of the poor kids; it's not their fault, but rather their parents. It's a Christmas performance and truly makes the Duggars sound like world class musicians.

Oh, OUCH!!! I actually listened to a bunch of this, from the horrible inconsistency of the trumpet to the gaspy flute and bizarre inclusion of harmonicas in what seemed to be entirely different keys...then on to a vocal which might not even have had the world's worst tone, but made up for it by the most annoyingly pretentious attempts at some sort of "cultured" vowel sounds this side of a backwoods Liza Doolittle, and the same sort of gaspy breathing technique shared by the flautist. Oh, and the came the "harmony", with hands raised to heaven, and just when I thought it couldn't get worse, the trumpet came back in and led anyone who might have still been in some semblance of tune along with him to some dark anti-harmonic universe...

It sounded as though they might be winding down to a finish, but at that point I really couldn't take any more, and figured it must be almost over anyway, only to glance down and notice I was only a little shy of 5 minutes into a 16-minute (or so) performance. I suppose that was about the time that the aforementioned "hilarity" set in.

No way was that going to happen. I got out at that point, sanity barely intact.

Do people in some world actually sit and listen to them on purpose?

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10

She (Jill Rodrigues) posted her Friday for Fosters piece on Facebook.  It's the last Friday of the month she does it, and it is about the sister who became paralyzed last year.  Jill just has to insert herself in there and Amy's husband for being faithful, so far as she knows.  It actually sounds like she doesn't much care about her anymore.  Well, they are too busy appearing at churches all over Florida, she says.  That video she finally posted of the house she finally got in W. Va. still bothers me.  Nice house, nice garage for the printing business they don't do, and that house was full to the brim with nicknacks and shit.  I wonder how she stored all of it all the time they were in the RV pre-house.  And why they spent so little time in the all important house before they hit the road again.  They are going to play out all of Florida this time.  The churches have to be sick of them, and sick of them using their utilities, and bathrooms, and feeding all of them.  Those poor kids.  They need food, dental care, and a life.

• Love 6

One large strike against their story is the fact that there's quite a bit of commentary out there from rank-and-file Gothardites stating that pretty dead-on rumors of BG's proclivities were rife throughout the organization since at least the 80s.

This one, for example -- http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/02/22/bill-gothards-abuse-is-not-a-surprise/

This archived copy of the IBLP.org board of directors page, from June 2013, lists Mr Gil Bates, Dr Stephen Paine and Mr Bill Gothard as board members. The board placed Bill Gothard on administrative leave in February 2014, so I don't see how Gil and Doc Paine could not know. Paine should be shitting bricks.

Wow. Thanks for this information. I was giving Gil and Dr. Paine too much credit.

Oh, OUCH!!! I actually listened to a bunch of this, from the horrible inconsistency of the trumpet to the gaspy flute and bizarre inclusion of harmonicas in what seemed to be entirely different keys...then on to a vocal which might not even have had the world's worst tone, but made up for it by the most annoyingly pretentious attempts at some sort of "cultured" vowel sounds this side of a backwoods Liza Doolittle, and the same sort of gaspy breathing technique shared by the flautist. Oh, and the came the "harmony", with hands raised to heaven, and just when I thought it couldn't get worse, the trumpet came back in and led anyone who might have still been in some semblance of tune along with him to some dark anti-harmonic universe...

It sounded as though they might be winding down to a finish, but at that point I really couldn't take any more, and figured it must be almost over anyway, only to glance down and notice I was only a little shy of 5 minutes into a 16-minute (or so) performance. I suppose that was about the time that the aforementioned "hilarity" set in.

No way was that going to happen. I got out at that point, sanity barely intact.

I kept it open in another window while catching up on posts here, and at some point it switched over to each one of the children introducing him/herself. That I actually found interesting, because it's troubling to see how brainwashed and haunted/nervous they seem, as others have mentioned.

• Love 6

I like the one little girl yawning in the video Becca posted.  She doesn't even bother covering her mouth - she is tired and will let you know.

It is sad when the kids are a source of family income.  All playing together for a Christmas concert each year, or at a nursing home once a month, things like that are fine but having to depend on the kids to make your family income - just no.  Parents that is your job!  So go get a job or two!

I have a strong belief that Jill believes in fake it til you make it. She has stars in her eyes and is secretly praying that they get their own show.

• Love 4
(edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UndYh_JG7zc

The trumpet is not an easy or forgiving instrument. A person needs to be playing it practically every day to keep their mouth "fit" for all but the lowest notes. They should've all gone with guitar. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm always amazed how Jill R manages to have money for things she really doesn't need. I read her latest blog entry and she and David took shooting classes so they can get a CCP all the while Jill goes on and on about all the shootings happening in the US.

In Illinois a class is $250 a person. That's $500 dollars worth of food she should have brought for her kids. Her blogs are always about her. Being a hungry famewhore is her permanent  occupation.

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?page_id=1783

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 7
(edited)

She (Jill Rodrigues) posted her Friday for Fosters piece on Facebook.  It's the last Friday of the month she does it, and it is about the sister who became paralyzed last year.  Jill just has to insert herself in there and Amy's husband for being faithful, so far as she knows.  It actually sounds like she doesn't much care about her anymore.  Well, they are too busy appearing at churches all over Florida, she says.  That video she finally posted of the house she finally got in W. Va. still bothers me.  Nice house, nice garage for the printing business they don't do, and that house was full to the brim with nicknacks and shit.  I wonder how she stored all of it all the time they were in the RV pre-house.  And why they spent so little time in the all important house before they hit the road again.  They are going to play out all of Florida this time.  The churches have to be sick of them, and sick of them using their utilities, and bathrooms, and feeding all of them.  Those poor kids.  They need food, dental care, and a life.

I watched the new house video too. They have more furniture and tchotchkes than a household of 50 years would have. Any so many in the bathrooms - ew. 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 2

I watched the new house video too. They have more furniture and tchotchkes than a household a 50 years would have. Any so many in the bathrooms - ew.

I thought the exact same thing.

I wonder if some of that stuff was given to them from a senior that Jill just loved on til they finally got rid of her begging ass by giving them a piece of furniture. Oh they live in W.Vir? I thought they moved back to NY where she was originally from?

• Love 1

I'd bet that most people listen to them because they feel really really sorry for those poor children.

Anybody who's seen a photo is going to want to give the poor things a good dinner. So if the price for helping the kids is listening to the cacophony ... well.... I swear that has to be the only way they get their gigs.

Don't these shooting happen at schools and workplaces? Why would the Rodrigues family be afraid?

Hey, the RV functions as both!

And, like a lot of the other Christian patriarchists, maybe they're insecure, terribly fearful, randomly aggressive -- and not even close to rational?

• Love 6
(edited)

I watched the new house video too. They have more furniture and tchotchkes than a household of 50 years would have. Any so many in the bathrooms - ew. 

Just think of all the thrift shops they come across traveling across the Bible Belt!  Lots of cheap junk for Mama Jill!

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 3

Don't these shooting happen at schools and workplaces? Why would the Rodrigues family be afraid?

Having watched that performance video, I can see a few reasons why they should be afraid.  That noise could drive someone to attack in a desperate attempt to make it stop.  

• Love 4

I'd bet that most people listen to them because they feel really really sorry for those poor children.

Anybody who's seen a photo is going to want to give the poor things a good dinner. So if the price for helping the kids is listening to the cacophony ... well.... I swear that has to be the only way they get their gigs.

Considering that their audience is mainly older folks, they can easily turn their hearing aids off and pretend to like the music or my other theory older peeps are deaf so their eyes can't bleed as badly as our's do.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do what is Jill's back story? Was she brought up in the cult or was she mainstream? What is the deal with her husband? Does he work?

Their "story" is on their blog. You can thank me after you read that trainwreeck errr I mean their beautiful love story.

**look under the about section: Jill

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

When there is obedience there is love, joy, praise, and sometimes reward. BUT….when there is disobedience, they will face the consequence for their act of wrong-doing (Proverbs 22:6).

This is on the JillR blog. After the kid's music video, each child is briefly interviewed.. The fake sweetness made me feel the parents are crazy disciplinarians ( meaning lots of corporol punishment because bible).

• Love 4

If you book this rolling horror show, you are contrbuting to the delinquency of the parents.  If you pay them, you encourage them to do the same thing, and are part and parcel of the abuse and living conditions of these children.  What they do is not talent, not good music, not harmonious singing.  The children are suffering and you are not helping them by giving them food once or twice a week.  These churches must stop sinning by encouraging the parents to live this way.  The humpers who praise them are not being Godly.   They must ethically withdraw moral and physical support because it is paying them for reprehensible behavior.  This is not the way of Jesus.   

• Love 13

On her blog, Jill wrote that her sister's family wants to move to TN, because the "laws are better". Does anyone know what laws she is referring too? 

I wondered about that too. I'm sure they do feel more comfortable the deeper into the bible belt they go, but what specific laws is she so worried about?

I admit I have been obsessing over her sister's car accident story. No snark -- it's just really sad. Although it does seem a bit self-centered the way Jill inserts herself into certain aspects of it, including zooming in on her obviously distressed and crying mom at one point when everyone was supposed to be singing a hymn.

• Love 3

When there is obedience there is love, joy, praise, and sometimes reward. BUT….when there is disobedience, they will face the consequence for their act of wrong-doing (Proverbs 22:6).

This is on the JillR blog. After the kid's music video, each child is briefly interviewed.. The fake sweetness made me feel the parents are crazy disciplinarians ( meaning lots of corporol punishment because bible).

I agree about the discipline & noticed the boy's very short shaved haircuts which reminded me of Alert. The same look Joshley had on the first specials. But I guess they can't afford to send them to Alert.

My brother has talked about moving to Tennessee.  It has something to do with the tax situation--I think it is no income tax.

They don't have state tax.

• Love 1
(edited)

My brother has talked about moving to Tennessee.  It has something to do with the tax situation--I think it is no income tax.

I assume your brother's a high earner! Tennessee has no income tax but it has extremely high sales taxes, including on groceries. .... Hard to see how that would work well for anybody in the Rodriguez clan. Wonder what laws they are thinking of.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

Since the mother is now quadriplegic, who looks after the children and does the homeschooling? The "better" laws might be about southern states being more lax about that sort of thing.

Since the mother is now quadriplegic, who looks after the children and does the homeschooling? The "better" laws might be about southern states being more lax about that sort of thing.

Ya'd think. But surprisingly, it doesn't really break down that way. For one thing, all our states have pretty lax standards for home schooling. And the breakdown doesn't seem to be regional, as one would expect. Tennessee's kind of in the middle of the pack, actually, requiring families to notify the government each year they homeschool (some states require no notification, ever!) and maintaining vaccination requirements for homeschooled children, for example.

As best as I can figure, the state-to-state differences mainly trace to how active the home schooling associations are in each state. If a state has had enough activist homeschoolers to get heavily involved with HSLDA and bring them in to lobby, then they've been able to push the state governments -- in basically every case I know of -- to repeatedly roll back the rules and make it easier to homeschool as you wish. And if not, then not.

Here's a state by state summary of some big homeschooling rules: https://projects.propublica.org/graphics/homeschool

I think Jill's family's interest in Tennessee remains a mystery.

I'm just spitballing here and don't have the time to do the research right now, but I think Tennessee has fairly lenient midwife/home birth laws--at least compared to Alabama, where I live.

• Love 1

In one of Jill's blogs she mentions that Amy is homeschooling again. She also mentions that her BIL's "Winter job" is plowing. I'm assuming that Amy's husband is home a lot. I'm not sure how old the oldest child is.

I assume your brother's a high earner! Tennessee has no income tax but it has extremely high sales taxes, including on groceries. .... Hard to see how that would work well for anybody in the Rodriguez clan. Wonder what laws they are thinking of.

I live in Nevada and it's the same out here. No state income tax is a double edged sword. You end up paying for it one way or the other.

As far as the Rodrigues family, they live a hand to mouth existence, so I'm not sure which laws they're referring to.

• Love 2

I'm not even sure where to start with the Rodrigues Family Hair Care Video. I took a peek and ended up watching half an hour. The girls all curling and patting and puffing and spraying those bangs took me back to the 80's and 90's. I cannot for the life of me understand why such a large amount of hairspray and mousse is necessary to immobilize a little boy's half inch long hair. The kid looked fine before she started messing with him. Honestly though, the thought of fourteen people trapped in the bus trying to get ready to go somewhere, the air rife with hairspray, makes me stressed... And I'm just THINKING about it.

• Love 7

If you book this rolling horror show, you are contrbuting to the delinquency of the parents.  If you pay them, you encourage them to do the same thing, and are part and parcel of the abuse and living conditions of these children.  What they do is not talent, not good music, not harmonious singing.  The children are suffering and you are not helping them by giving them food once or twice a week.  These churches must stop sinning by encouraging the parents to live this way.  The humpers who praise them are not being Godly.   They must ethically withdraw moral and physical support because it is paying them for reprehensible behavior.  This is not the way of Jesus.   

The best thing any of these churches could do is invite the family so they could stage an intervention - have child protective services or whatever relevant local or state agency be there to take the kids away from their parents, get them into safe environments and provide them with food and medical care.   The children look sickly and malnourished.  Several of them have a look that is seen when people aren't getting enough oxygen on an on-going basis, a sign of asthma and severe allergies (which I am sure aren't helped by being trapped in an over-stuffed RV in which hairspray is used by the case).  These children are an example that your life is as good (or in this case as bad) as the parents you are born to.  

• Love 6

I'm always amazed how Jill R manages to have money for things she really doesn't need. I read her latest blog entry and she and David took shooting classes so they can get a CCP all the while Jill goes on and on about all the shootings happening in the US.

In Illinois a class is $250 a person. That's $500 dollars worth of food she should have brought for her kids. Her blogs are always about her. Being a hungry famewhore is her permanent  occupation.

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?page_id=1783

Her blog is such Bullshit.  I stopped reading after a 2nd man asked her about her television bill.  WTF?  I've been to Walmart and have never been stopped by unknown men asking me where I put my child in daycare or what I pay for my TV service.  Fairy tales so she can say that she told someone anonymous guy in Walmart that SHE doesn't use daycare and some other anonymous guy about her TV service.  Lying liars who lie.  I couldn't even read it further. Whatever guns they claim to have I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened their children with them.  Ew I hate these people.

• Love 8

Guns+ dimwitted and/or emotionally unbalanced parents + 12 kids + Living or long term traveling IN A FREAKING R VEEE = disaster waiting to happen.

These people seem not to have the brains God gave geese. Those poor kids.

I suddenly need to order 7 large pizzas for my family of 12 children.  

• Love 4

Sadly, after watching the new house video I suspect that Jill will be announcing another pregnancy soon. She sounded like a giddy school girl just excited that she has a room to get her hey, hey, hey in. She is addicted to the spotlight *cough* and will keep having babies as long as people keep donating to their non-existent ministry.

Poor kids need to be fed and taken care of properly. I too can't believe no one has come to their rescue.

• Love 5

Her blog is such Bullshit.  I stopped reading after a 2nd man asked her about her television bill.  WTF?  I've been to Walmart and have never been stopped by unknown men asking me where I put my child in daycare or what I pay for my TV service.  Fairy tales so she can say that she told someone anonymous guy in Walmart that SHE doesn't use daycare and some other anonymous guy about her TV service.  Lying liars who lie.  I couldn't even read it further. Whatever guns they claim to have I wouldn't be surprised if they threatened their children with them.  Ew I hate these people.

I think a very slim thread, if any, connects Jill R to reality. Things are so nuts there that I'd assume at least some of the kids would run when they get a little older, but they all seem so puny and anemic I can only hope they have the strength.

• Love 8

Sadly, after watching the new house video I suspect that Jill will be announcing another pregnancy soon. She sounded like a giddy school girl just excited that she has a room to get her hey, hey, hey in. She is addicted to the spotlight *cough* and will keep having babies as long as people keep donating to their non-existent ministry.

Poor kids need to be fed and taken care of properly. I too can't believe no one has come to their rescue.

If only they went to school.  :(

• Love 4

OMG, she has a cosmetology license?!!! I thought you all were joking when you mentioned that. Her makeup looks clownish. I'm very into makeup. It's my one hobby and I swear I could do a better job at makeup application than Jill. Not to brag, but I use professional makeup brushes and palettes and get a lot of compliments on my look. Jill's makeup is bargain bin crap and she it looks garish. Don't even get me started on the 90's hair she's sporting.

Jill and her husband give me batshit crazy vibes. Jill more so than her husband. Cray,cray!

• Love 5