Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Yeah, JRod is the Kween of Kitcsch. She just can't help herself with the tchotchkes. My god. I didn't know the parents had relocated to WV. Jill grew up in NY state, but had been based out of WV for some years. 

I made it to the end of the video. Lost brain cells, but made it. It was filmed 12/15, so before their 2016 Southern Winter Grifting Tour where all the hair and makeup "tutorials" were filmed. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

That's actually a damn nice house. The lot and setting are great. A lot of the furniture looks decent, although all that shit clutter makes me itchy. Our first house was 3 bed, 1 bath, the lot was small, we raised our kids there, and WORKED VERY HARD to afford it. Most of our furniture was (and still is) secondhand. I don't begrudge those poor children a nice place to live and play. But it irks me to no end if Jill actually grifted that house. Could someone please confirm that someone did indeed give them the house? They're not renting? And what's the story with the printing press?

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Mollie said:

She made a video about doing the kids' hair.  What she does to the boys is painful to watch!

Sorry, but I feel that spraying all that hairspray on those poor children is child abuse.  Did anyone hear the coughing in the background?  I feel so bad for them.  

The little girl at end that was eating rubber bands look terrified when Jill told her she must obey.  There is no doubt in my mind these children are beaten by the creepy dad. He makes Jim Bob look like a saint. Oh the terror that must go on in that stink bus.  

• Love 2

I think Jill's parents have been in WV for quite some time (years).  That's where her sister was heading when they had the accident to be with both Jill and the parents.  Her parents bought a new house that they are remodeling so Amy can visit.  That's why they were staying in Jill's house or the RV.  I'm not sure if the work is done or if they're still doing that.

This may have been posted before- but yet another example of how incredibly insane these people are.  Go to around 9:09 and watch as creepy husband gives Jill coconut water first before his children that are suffering with malnutrition.  

Wow, the kids actually got to have pieces of the "free" coconut. (David called it free) Too bad they can't find more free fruits & veggies.   And yes, Jill got to taste the coconut first too like the water while the kids were looking on with their tongues hanging out. 

• Love 2

I watched the hairstyle video (or at least bits of it).  Wow.  I wonder how thick the spray residue is on the inside of that RV and especially the bathroom.  Everything must be sticky, and the glass slightly blurry.  I also now know who put that hole in the ozone layer.  Also, it's a good thing nobody smokes because one match and boom!  And I was having flashbacks to my childhood watching her do the hair; while she didn't use any product, my mom would also yank our heads around (there were four of us girls, no boys) and drag combs/brushes through our hair like that.  She'd intone "you have to pay to be beautiful" when we complained, which she had apparently learned it from her mom who did the same thing.  Which is probably why I now have short hair which I rarely even brush, much less style--I just run my fingers through it and voila!  

• Love 11

Watched the hairstyle video again (most of it, as my computer revolted and refused to play audio any longer about half-way through).   At one point Jill mentioned that the boys needed haircuts, but couldn't get them until they returned home in a couple of weeks.   Does this mean that there is no money for haircuts (which are pretty friggin cheap at a barbershop) yet she has money for freshly done acrylics?  One fill of her nails would cover at least 2 if not 3 boy's haircuts FFS.  I cannot wrap my head around their priorities other than it is clear that the kids come LAST. 

• Love 5

The haircuts are basically free.  Jill does them for all the kids since she trained in cosmetology.  Amy was recently very ill and in the hospital.  It seems that kind of thing is somewhat normal with the paralysis. 

4 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Watched the hairstyle video again (most of it, as my computer revolted and refused to play audio any longer about half-way through).   At one point Jill mentioned that the boys needed haircuts, but couldn't get them until they returned home in a couple of weeks.   Does this mean that there is no money for haircuts (which are pretty friggin cheap at a barbershop) yet she has money for freshly done acrylics?  

I think it means that Jill doesn't really have the cosmetology license she claims to have.  If she did, she would know how to give the boys haircuts.

• Love 4

I know the JRods are broke as a joke but I am still surprised Jill can't find a couple of bucks in the budget for some coated rubber bands. I mean as important as lookin' good for the Lord is and all, you'd think it would be a priority. Those uncoated rubber bands just destroy your hair. As a (supposedly) licensed cosmetologist Jill should know better.  

The picture quality wasn't that great but I could swear that she used those big blue rubber bands that grocers use to hold together broccoli on Angry Olivia's hair. She must have found them in the trash or something because we call know Jill hasn't fed her family a fresh vegetable in years.

The end segment she tacked on to explain that the baby was eating rubber bands because she's seen Timothy put rubber bands on his braces was pathetic. The issue was not why the kid was eating rubber bands, Jill. It's that she was doing it right under your nose but you didn't notice because you were too busy pontificating to the camera about the importance of wearing color coordinated outfits and having curled bangs for Christ.

Here's a little news flash sister ... Jesus doesn't care about your hair, Jill. He doesn't care if your family's clothes all match.  That crap matters only to YOU and you need to stop dragging the Lord into it. Those things are nothing but a transparent display of your pride and your vanity. You want to swan around showing off and be the center of attention, not honor the Lord. You are not fooling anybody by tagging JC in every other sentence ... if anything, you are offending him with your hypocrisy.  Just something for you to think about next time you are staring in the mirror admiring yourself .... smile

• Love 23
3 hours ago, Mollie said:

I think it means that Jill doesn't really have the cosmetology license she claims to have.  If she did, she would know how to give the boys haircuts.

She has her cosmetology license (presumably from 20 years ago) in the one-seat "salon" she set up in their basement. It's shown in the house video. I'm sure she's the one cutting hair. As others noted, she's too cheap to take the boys to even a cheap place like Supercuts. Not sure when the girls start cutting their own bangs or who cleans up their fried ends (probably each other). Nurie probably cuts the younger girls' hair. There's really no "style" to worry about; all she has to do is make sure it isn't crooked and fairly even on the sides. 

Carlin with her guy. The waist of her shirt is nipped in, which doesn't seem right for a button-down. Could he actually have his arm around her? Is that allowed in the "special friend" phase, or did they give something away? I guess we'll find out Thursday as they celebrate "I Love You Day" on the show. 

1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

She has her cosmetology license (presumably from 20 years ago) in the one-seat "salon" she set up in their basement. It's shown in the house video. I'm sure she's the one cutting hair. As others noted, she's too cheap to take the boys to even a cheap place like Supercuts. Not sure when the girls start cutting their own bangs or who cleans up their fried ends (probably each other). Nurie probably cuts the younger girls' hair. There's really no "style" to worry about; all she has to do is make sure it isn't crooked and fairly even on the sides. 

Carlin with her guy. The waist of her shirt is nipped in, which doesn't seem right for a button-down. Could he actually have his arm around her? Is that allowed in the "special friend" phase, or did they give something away? I guess we'll find out Thursday as they celebrate "I Love You Day" on the show. 

Jilly Rod - what kind of cosmetology license does she have? She sure can't cut or take care of hair. They all look like they have homemade hair cuts as well as styles from 1993. The curled bangs are the worst. Plus their make up all looks like the stuff that was popular when I was in middle school - in 1993. Brown lipstick, thick foundation, super thin brows, etc.

Bates girl - I'd wear that outfit. That kid knows how to do 'modest style'.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Jilly Rod - what kind of cosmetology license does she have? She sure can't cut or take care of hair. They all look like they have homemade hair cuts as well as styles from 1993. The curled bangs are the worst. Plus their make up all looks like the stuff that was popular when I was in middle school - in 1993. Brown lipstick, thick foundation, super thin brows, etc.

Bates girl - I'd wear that outfit. That kid knows how to do 'modest style'.

I doubt she ever renewed her cosmetology license, and her picture is on the one she has taped to her "beauty shop" mirror has dark hair, so it's ooooold. And she's definitely stuck in the early 90's or whenever she learned to style her own hair and apply her own makeup. Did anyone else catch all those perm rods in a bin at her "station?" I mean really, PERMS??? My hair is baby fine, and I haven't had a perm since around 1994. One of the daughters mentioned that she had a perm in the hair video, so I think we can ascertain that it's Jill who does them. 

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I doubt she ever renewed her cosmetology license, and her picture is on the one she has taped to her "beauty shop" mirror has dark hair, so it's ooooold. And she's definitely stuck in the early 90's or whenever she learned to style her own hair and apply her own makeup. Did anyone else catch all those perm rods in a bin at her "station?" I mean really, PERMS??? My hair is baby fine, and I haven't had a perm since around 1994. One of the daughters mentioned that she had a perm in the hair video, so I think we can ascertain that it's Jill who does them. 

Jill says she got her license in 1997 when she was 18-years-old, just before she got married.  She was homeschooled and, therefore, led a sequestered life.  

I figured as much. As I noted, she was a brunette when she married Chimpy (there are plenty of wedding pics around the house to bear this out), and she was also a brunette in the pic on her (likely one and only) cosmetology license. I wonder when she decided to go bleach blonde? Did Chimpy tell her that he preferred them? Someone needs to ask the next time she does a "beauty" post! LOL

That lady is sooooooo crazy.  She's like a even more demented Michelle, with the baby voice, fake smile and 80's hairdo. 

Question: if they lived in the RV for 2 years, where the hell did all that STUFF in the house video come from??  Was the house "gifted" to them? Was it furnished? MUST know!

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Jill says she got her license in 1997 when she was 18-years-old, just before she got married.  She was homeschooled and, therefore, led a sequestered life.  

Wait - what? Jill is only 38?

13 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

That lady is sooooooo crazy.  She's like a even more demented Michelle, with the baby voice, fake smile and 80's hairdo. 

Question: if they lived in the RV for 2 years, where the hell did all that STUFF in the house video come from??  Was the house "gifted" to them? Was it furnished? MUST know!

Somebody look in the basement for a freezer with the people they murdered to steal the house.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

They've been married for 20 years and have lived in rental houses, so they obviously had some furniture.  The furniture in that house video is old and quite a mishmash collection of stuff.  They probably stored it all for the two years they lived in the van.  Jill said they moved into the RV to save money to buy a house.

But I don't think they ever really explained where the house came from or how they were able to buy it.  They claim that they have no income from printing the gospel tracts.  They print those at cost for other churches and missionaries.  They claim that all of the printing equipment was donated.  They make it sound like their only income is from having their kids sing in churches and asking the audiences for donations.  In other words, the parents don't do much to provide income for the family.

How much government assistance are these people collecting? With 12 kids and no/low income, they should be eligible for quite a bit of assistance. Is this a HUD rental, or do they actually own the house? With 12 people, they could earn over $100K and still qualify for WIC/foodstamps. TAKE THE FOOD, JILLYROD. Your kids do not look healthy. 

• Love 1

Guys, they did NOT live in the RV for two years. Just several months at a time in the winter months for the past two years. They previously lived in several rental houses in West Virginia. 

2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Guys, they did NOT live in the RV for two years. Just several months at a time in the winter months for the past two years. They previously lived in several rental houses in West Virginia. 

Oh thats a relief. But also, like the camping trip from Hell.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill said they lived in the RV for two years: "Well, this is the new 'home' that we will be living in for about the next two years. For those of you who do not know already, we have given up our rental home and we plan to travel in this so that we can finish raising our support and so that we can use our music more as we travel – due to the increasing demand for it. We know this journey will have its challenges for our family, but we are excited to follow God’s call in our lives and we believe it will even draw us closer (literally – smile) as a family."

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=1248

Edited by Mollie

Woah! Seeing her age threw me off! I then went to their site and it said she was in her senior year in 97?!?! I don't know much about any of these families, but, find them morbidly fascinating. I was class of 00, I cannot look at Jill and see a peer at all. Definitely looks straight out of the 80's! I have no room to talk though. 80% of my outfits look like I'm going to a Smashing Pumpkins concert in 95. 

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Jill said they lived in the RV for two years: "Well, this is the new 'home' that we will be living in for about the next two years. For those of you who do not know already, we have given up our rental home and we plan to travel in this so that we can finish raising our support and so that we can use our music more as we travel – due to the increasing demand for it. We know this journey will have its challenges for our family, but we are excited to follow God’s call in our lives and we believe it will even draw us closer (literally – smile) as a family."

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=1248

I remember that post. Two years was the plan INITIALLY, but they ended up getting the house. It looked quite well lived-in when they made that video before taking off on their 2016 Winter Tour. 

eta: There were also at least one rental house in between that blog post and getting this house. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yes, that was the plan INITIALLY, but they ended up getting the house. 

The blog post announcing that they gave up the rental house was from August 2014.  That post doesn't say when they moved into the RV, but they were living in it at least by August.  Here's a post from June, 2015, and they were still living in the RV: http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=2061

The video tour of the new house was from December 2015.

(edited)

They were in the RV then because they were in New York tending to Amy. Her accident was April of that year (Jill just wrote about the anniversary less than a week ago). But they were in WV at the time of the accident for Easter, no acknowledgement of whether they were in a rental house or not, or where they went back to when they left Amy's place in the early summer (IIRC, it's been a long time and I can't find the blog posts from the Amy Era). But yeah, I remember Amy's husband basically kicking them out around June or July. I forget when she was able to return home, but it was before that. 

But they were NOT traveling the country making money for the printing ministry for a good part of 2015. Yes, they lived in the RV in New York at Amy's place, but I think that they got the new house soon after they went back to WV. They were in it during the fall, as pumpkins were still decorating the front walkway when they filmed in December. 

At any rate, they were not on the road making money for the printing ministry for two years. 

I think at this point we're basically splitting hairs, and I don't want us getting in trouble with the mods. :)

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

But yeah, I remember Amy's husband basically kicking them out around June or July. I forget when she was able to return home, but it was before that. 

Let me guess, Amy's husband got tired of footing the bill for 14 relatives who were at his home under the guise of helping his disabled wife.

• Love 9

Can we petition TLC to give this maniac the show she so clearly wants? This circus needs its own forum. And the show would be snark gold!

I'm still stuck on the kid eating the rubber bands. I'd forgotten that Jill makes an excuse for it later! What kind of nutcase posts a video where she displays her own negligence as a parent and then acknowledges that she knows it happened, and posted the video anyway! Maybe Jill thought the child wouldn't need to be fed dinner if she ate enough rubber bands.

My own kid had heard "Not in your mouth!" so many times that "Not mouth!" was among her first semi-sentences. She used to scold me for chewing on my pen. 

• Love 10
(edited)

w/r/t Amy's husband kicking them out, pretty much. I recall Jill's post about them leaving having some bittersauce to it. I'm sure he was sick and tired of all of the pictures, blog posts, extraneous kids running around when Amy needed some peace and quiet to heal, etc. when he was trying to build ramps and do other things to make their house accessible for Amy.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They were in the RV then because they were in New York tending to Amy. Her accident was April of that year (Jill just wrote about the anniversary less than a week ago). But they were in WV at the time of the accident for Easter, no acknowledgement of whether they were in a rental house or not, or where they went back to when they left Amy's place in the early summer (IIRC, it's been a long time and I can't find the blog posts from the Amy Era). But yeah, I remember Amy's husband basically kicking them out around June or July. I forget when she was able to return home, but it was before that. 

But they were NOT traveling the country making money for the printing ministry for a good part of 2015. Yes, they lived in the RV in New York at Amy's place, but I think that they got the new house soon after they went back to WV. They were in it during the fall, as pumpkins were still decorating the front walkway when they filmed in December. 

At any rate, they were not on the road making money for the printing ministry for two years. 

I think at this point we're basically splitting hairs, and I don't want us getting in trouble with the mods. :)

"We purchased a 38 ft. long RV, gave up our rental home, and went on the road full-time.  We sing and play several instruments as a family and that is what the “praising” stands for.  We are raising support to eventually get a house and garage and start our own printing ministry to print Gospel tracts and Gospel Portions and that is what the “printing” stands for.  David preaches as he has opportunity to when we travel and that is what the “preaching” stands for.  The 3 P’s!!

"Although we were excited to embrace and follow this new calling God had called us unto, it was, and is, not without challenges and discouragement at times.  We have peace that this is the final step to finalizing what our forever ministry will be.  However, we – at this point – are living full-time in our RV with no real “home” to go back to.  We know that this was a decision we made with God’s leading, but we are sensing the timing is at hand for us to now purchase a house so that we can have room to spread out when we are off the road and so that David can begin to set up his new printing ministry in the garage.  The process to find a home suitable for our needs has been a slow one.  But, finally, we have found a house.  Our prayer is that we can miraculously pay off our RV soon (we owe just 3 years on it) so that we can more easily pay for the new expenses owning a home will incur. . .

"With a new baby on the way, I became almost desperate to get into a house!  To live in a 350 sq. ft. space with 13 people (soon to be 14 people), wears on all of our patience.  Just to accomplish the simplest tasks, it seems hard.  Every space is organized, but JAM PACKED!  Where on earth would I put an new baby and what if it cried throughout the night??  Would it keep the whole family awake instead of just me?

". . . I have shed many tears and still sometimes struggle with the small quarters and sacrifices we make on the road, but I know that my heart is surrendered to God’s will. . . Sometimes even others’ judgement of us that we would cram a family that large into such small quarters, was tough on me.  I wanted others to think we were the best possible parents!  We know how hard we try to give our children the best.  But, people are entitled to their own opinion and I would get discouraged at negative remarks cast our way. . . Now, I must say that my husband cares deeply about taking the best care of his family as possible and is desperately trying to purchase a house for us asap!"    

posted by Jill, June 12, 2015

According to Jill, they lived in that RV, with all those kids, for at least a year and four months.

• Love 3

Nicely done, Jill. Play the "this RV is a death trap for my poor, innocent baby" card to get those nice church folk to spring for a house. 

They have to be on some form of public assistance. There's no way in hell they can support themselves with love offerings. I don't mind people receiving help when there's a genuine need, but two grown ass adults who refuse to work and keep popping out blessings they can't take care of? That grinds my gears. Especially considering the children still look half-starved.

• Love 9

Well, it worked, since we know that they were in that house at the end of '15 and had been there for some time before she made that video. We know they didn't sell the RV, so where did the money for a down payment come from? How much is their mortgage, and how on earth are they paying it? I doubt passing the hat at their singing gigs nets them much more than money for breakfast the next day. 

Getting public assistance isn't the same as debt, so I could see them justifying it. And of course, now there's PLEXUS!!!!111 More green eyeliner for EVERYONE! 

• Love 1

There is just something wrong with the universe when a network will squeeze a whole season out of the months-old wedding (of the fourth kid to get married, no less) like it was Di and Charles 2.0, the highlight being some kind of lame ass manufactured drama about missing flower buckets ... but they will not give the Rodriguii Traveling Circus their own TV show.  IT IS FOR SHAME! 

And please no one try to explain to me why they don't have their own show because NO REASON is good enough.   Not given the shit TLC airs on the regular.  If they can clean up the Duggars good enough to squeeze 900 seasons out of them with all the skeletons in their closet, they could get a couple of seasons out of Jill et. al. before one of the kids goes postal and ruins it all.  

There is no excuse for not giving them a show, TLC.  No excuse! 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Nicely done, Jill. Play the "this RV is a death trap for my poor, innocent baby" card to get those nice church folk to spring for a house. 

They have to be on some form of public assistance. There's no way in hell they can support themselves with love offerings. I don't mind people receiving help when there's a genuine need, but two grown ass adults who refuse to work and keep popping out blessings they can't take care of? That grinds my gears. Especially considering the children still look half-starved.

I hope they at least accept Medicaid for the kids so they can see a doctor when they're sick.  It's too much to hope that Jill believes in immunization and her kids have gotten those.  She does deliver her babies in the hospital, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got Healthy Start for her, too.  Of course, she'd never admit to any of it; anymore than she would ever divulge how exactly they managed to scam that house. She talks about it as if it is theirs although she has never specifically mentioned the actual purchase of it.  Somehow, I think they managed to find some poor old lady on her last legs who willed it to them.  It would explain the furnishings.

While I am sure they are probably eligible for food stamps and probably even supplements (like Pediasure) because the kids are underweight; I'll bet they refuse to take them because Jesus will provide, doncha know?  Of course, Jesus did provide, He provided government sponsored food, but they're too stupid to take it.  Based on Jill's utter jubilation at the results of the last Presidential election which she took as a sign that Jesus was going to save the US from the heathens; I doubt she believes in food stamps.

I remember reading the blog and trying to figure out how long they were in the RV.  It was well over a year as I recall, closer to a year and a half. I seem to recall Jill saying they put their stuff in storage; most likely they filled a few other fundies basements and attics; no way they'd pay for a storage unit. They got the new place just before the last kiddo was born, but couldn't move in until shortly after she came.  She was born August 2015, I think.  So, they did bring a newborn home to live in that ugly RV for at least a little while.

Jill hasn't worked as a cosmetologist since she walked down the aisle; I doubt she bothered to renew her license after the first cycle,  For that matter, she lived in New York at the time; I don't think she ever had a WVa license.  I checked and she certainly doesn't have a current one. 

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Who is going to pay for Nurie's "dream wedding?"

The Lord will provide ...

6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

https://www.facebook.com/prayingforamyfoster/

Apparently she has been battling kidney stones and an infection.

The cynical asshole in me wants to point out that they didn't pray enough to prevent her accident .

3 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Woah! Seeing her age threw me off! I then went to their site and it said she was in her senior year in 97?!?! I don't know much about any of these families, but, find them morbidly fascinating. I was class of 00, I cannot look at Jill and see a peer at all. Definitely looks straight out of the 80's! I have no room to talk though. 80% of my outfits look like I'm going to a Smashing Pumpkins concert in 95. 

I graduated in 2002 and the idea that she's just a few years older than me scares me . 

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

You parked that baby in a cage in a closet .

• Love 1

Somehow, I think they managed to find some poor old lady on her last legs who willed it to them.  It would explain the furnishings.

I would not be surprised if a poor old lady did will them that house.  It's filled to the brim, every nook and cranny and surface, with old lady decor.

• Love 4

Watching those hair and makeup videos, I can't help but think of how OFTEN JillR states "We want to be a good testimony to the Lord". Why does she need to have her family all matchy and everyone's hair stiff silly with hairspray to let all understand that they really like jesus?

• Love 9