Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Jill's tribute to the queen: okay until she injects religion into it, hoping the queen "truly knew Christ."

I'd venture that the queen was more devout than Jill, but she didn't shout about it on a daily basis like, oh, Jill!

Edited by Salacious Kitty
Spacing issues
  • Like 7
  • Applause 7
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Absolom said:

Get the hideous flower off her head.  Talk about not treating her with dignity.  I hope Pat is free to express her own wishes.

It’s not a real flower/headband. The flower is a sticker on the phone. It’s probably to cover Pats bald spot. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Queen Elizabeth II held the official title Defender of the Faith. Jill's unofficial title is Social Media Braggart with Bad Writing Skills. 

Hilariously, that's a title she shared with King James the "writer" of the only correct translation of the bible in J's (strange, scary) mind, but nope! not good enough for Jill!

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Hilariously, that's a title she shared with King James the "writer" of the only correct translation of the bible in J's (strange, scary) mind, but nope! not good enough for Jill!

The original "defender of the faith" was Henry VIII.  The Pope gave him that title after Henry wrote a document against Martin Luther.  Ironically, Henry's future Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer studied with Luther.  Henry essentially remained a Catholic who didn't want the Pope telling him what to do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jill's tribute to the queen: okay until she injects religion into it, hoping the queen "truly knew Christ."

I'd venture that the queen was more devout than Jill, but she didn't shout about it on a daily basis like, oh, Jill!

She was the head of the freaking Church of England, you uneducated dingbat! 

• Applause 13
  • Love 8

A grammar test in college?  What?  My son is a freshman in college. Foreign language placement test? Yes. Math placement test? Yes (for students who didn’t have AP opportunities). Maybe my son’s grammar test was the 5 page paper he had due the first week in theology.  He did get a 4.8/5 on it, but I forgot to post that on social media. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, HooHooHoo said:

A grammar test in college?  What?  My son is a freshman in college. Foreign language placement test? Yes. Math placement test? Yes (for students who didn’t have AP opportunities). Maybe my son’s grammar test was the 5 page paper he had due the first week in theology.  He did get a 4.8/5 on it, but I forgot to post that on social media. 

Many colleges administer some type of writing assessment for incoming students.  I want to say I was exempt because I was coming in with a passing grade on both English AP exams.  I do know I had to take a math exam during orientation to place into the general math requirement.  Remedial writing classes are just as common as remedial math classes at colleges and universities.  

• Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

Poor Philip will have to take remedial everything!

Every course at Massillon is remedial. This is a college in name only. Phillip is "in his realm." 

Phillip, like his brother, would struggle at a community college. Jill would not be publicly bragging about her superior homeschooling if Phillip had landed at an accredited school, a school with standards.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

The original "defender of the faith" was Henry VIII.  The Pope gave him that title after Henry wrote a document against Martin Luther.  Ironically, Henry's future Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Cranmer studied with Luther.  Henry essentially remained a Catholic who didn't want the Pope telling him what to do.

Henry just wanted to marry Anne Boleyn and couldn't. If it wasn't for that, he would have been happily Catholic until the end of his days. As it stands, he really wasn't fond on the "new religion" sweeping the country or of Catholicism. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, HooHooHoo said:

What kind of a mother are you? A bad mom who forgot to brag about the wonderful achievement of your son. I hearby send you to the Jilly Beans school of mothering for at least one full semester of mothering 101.

• LOL 16
1 hour ago, ChristmasCrafter said:

What kind of a mother are you? A bad mom who forgot to brag about the wonderful achievement of your son. I hearby send you to the Jilly Beans school of mothering for at least one full semester of mothering 101.

I probably deserve a harsher punishment. My son is at a heathen college (Catholic) and I didn’t teach him the calculus 1 and 2 he passed out of. I had to send him to a real school because I am not as good of a mother as Jill. 

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ChristmasCrafter said:

I think the full name of that school is Jilly Bean’s School of (S)mothering. 

• Applause 5
  • LOL 14
On 9/9/2022 at 9:36 PM, BradandJanet said:

Getting a missions degree, even a worthless one, will make it easier to raise money to go somewhere and pass out pamphlets. I'll be surprised if Phillip makes it all the way to Hungary, but we'll see.  

Does Hungary even allow missionaries right now? The current government is very authoritarian.

On 9/9/2022 at 11:41 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Apologies if this is a repeat, but Jill edited the post about Phillip's test to brag about her homeschooling. 🙄

image.thumb.jpeg.a4c96a3d5d33627df15f2d4609ec8564 (1).jpeg

Jill, you are a TOTAL FAILURE at homeschooling. 

• Love 10

I'm curious why the Dingus family has all but disappeared from Jill's social media. I think they still attend the same church. Maybe Jill was expecting another whole half of a cow that never materialized. Maybe Tim was rejected as marriage material. Has Jill dropped any hints?

32 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Does Hungary even allow missionaries right now? The current government is very authoritarian.

The Rods are pretty authoritarian too. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

They absolutely are, but I’m just wondering if missionaries are even legally allowed Hungary at this time. 

I think they are. There's an LDS missionary presence, and there are some evangelicals. Most Hungarian people are Catholic, but many are not very religious. (My knowledge about this is from Wikipedia and LDS websites.)

By the time Phil gets ready to go to Hungary--if ever--to pass out English and Spanish smiley tracts, who knows what the situation will be?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

I'm curious why the Dingus family has all but disappeared from Jill's social media. I think they still attend the same church. Maybe Jill was expecting another whole half of a cow that never materialized. Maybe Tim was rejected as marriage material. 

Yes.

Yes.

• LOL 8
54 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

I think they are. There's an LDS missionary presence, and there are some evangelicals. Most Hungarian people are Catholic, but many are not very religious. (My knowledge about this is from Wikipedia and LDS websites.)

By the time Phil gets ready to go to Hungary--if ever--to pass out English and Spanish smiley tracts, who knows what the situation will be?

Are there a lot of Spanish speakers in Hungary? Regardless of the language, how do these tracts attempt to differentiate between Catholicism and their fundie version of Christianity? 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Are there a lot of Spanish speakers in Hungary? Regardless of the language, how do these tracts attempt to differentiate between Catholicism and their fundie version of Christianity? 

He's going to have to learn how to say Jesus loves you in Hungarian. And DBD will have to ship tracts in the right language. I don't know what percentage of the population speaks English, but I don't think it is as high as central or western European countries.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He's going to have to learn how to say Jesus loves you in Hungarian. And DBD will have to ship tracts in the right language. I don't know what percentage of the population speaks English, but I don't think it is as high as central or western European countries.

🙂Jézus szeret téged🙂

• Love 4

As far as I could ascertain, at least some missionaries are allowed to visit/live in Hungary. From what I read

According to the 2011 national census, which included an optional question on religious affiliation, of the 73 percent of the population that responded, 51 percent identified as Roman Catholic, 16 percent as Hungarian Reformed Church (Calvinist), 3 percent as Lutheran, 2 percent as Greek Catholic, and less than 1 percent as Jewish; 23 percent reported no religious affiliation, and 2 percent said they were atheists. Other religious groups together constituting less than 5 percent of the population include Greek Orthodox, the Faith Congregation (a Pentecostal group), the Church of Scientology (COS), Russian and other Orthodox Christian groups, other Christian denominations, Buddhists, Muslims, and the Hungarian Society for Krishna Consciousness. The Hungarian Evangelical Brotherhood (MET) has approximately 8,500 members, according to a 2013 news report, and the Hungarian Pentecostal Church approximately 9,300 members, according to the 2011 census. The World Jewish Congress estimates the Jewish population to be between 35,000 and 120,000 persons. Local Jewish organizations estimate approximately 100,000 citizens with Jewish heritage live in the country, primarily in Budapest. Other religious groups are distributed throughout the country.

So good luck Phillip trying convert anyone to your specific fundie version of Baptist!

I also found that:

It prohibits religious discrimination and speech violating the dignity of any religious community and stipulates the autonomy of religious communities. 

Could some attempts to “convert  “ involve prohibited speech that violates the dignity of other religious communities? I imagine it could. 

My source was https://www.state.gov/reports/2020-report-on-international-religious-freedom/hungary/

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 4
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

There are certainly Chick Pamphlets out there that explain Catholicism as a false religion based on idolatry and paganism.  The pamphlets are wildly incorrect, filled with fictional accounts of what Catholics believe and why; but, as we've seen from JRod, lying is not a sin in their world.

Chick doesn't have Hungarian language tracts, but they've got Polish and Slovak versions, which are probably close.

https://www.chick.com/products/tract?stk=71&ue=d

• Useful 1
18 minutes ago, Notabug said:

There are certainly Chick Pamphlets out there that explain Catholicism as a false religion based on idolatry and paganism.  The pamphlets are wildly incorrect, filled with fictional accounts of what Catholics believe and why; but, as we've seen from JRod, lying is not a sin in their world.

Chick doesn't have Hungarian language tracts, but they've got Polish and Slovak versions, which are probably close.

I can’t imagine any Catholic picking up one of these tracts and even considering converting to fundie Baptist. Most would be either offended or find the tracts hilarious, I think.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I wasn't completely serious about sending Phillip to Hungary with Spanish-language tracts, but DBD probably has stacks of them lying around. Putting together a signature smiley in Hungarian would take a ton of work on Dave's part, and I doubt he's willing to hoist himself up from the recliner to do it. 

• Thanks 5
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

They sold all the earrings. What is Renee wearing a lacy lingerie top? It’s weird looking as a modesty tank/top. 

9ECA6478-6058-44B4-8A26-6AF4EB404B43.jpeg

The tee shirt under looks like a baseball tee blouse which they probably don't think is feminine enough, so she had to resort to putting a lacy tank top over it. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

Hungarian is a completely different language group from Polish and Slovak. Polish and Slovak are languages in the Western Slavic branch of the Indo-European language group, while Hungarian is part of the Finno-Ugric language group.

• Useful 10
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

They sold out? Some sweet old lady must’ve taken pity on the girls and bought the whole lot.

Jill said that there was a large order. So, someone apparently did take pity on the girls and bought in bulk.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1