Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Erin says she hopes the baby will pull on Chad's dad's heartstrings to move closer to them. Why can't Erin & Chad move closer to him? Carson isn't &won't be the only grandchild. (Are there any other grandchildren? I don't follow the Payne family.) I guess since Carson will be Chad IV he will be the Royal baby in the Payne family.

• Love 2

I don't understand how going to an ER is considered a cheaper choice than going to a doctor. ER visits are expensive! I know they have to treat you without regard to your ability to pay, but surely they're going to at least bill you after the fact. The few times I've gone to one even with insurance they wanted a credit card up front.

Well some think it's free because they're not paying for it. But tax payers are. Gil knows how to work that system. Too bad he can't work a system to support his family.

Homefoolingskooling? No college.

Is Chad fundie?

• Love 2

So, is Gil Bates going to see the in-law family doctors from now on for medical treatment for free like he worked the ED's in Tennessee? He, sadly, is part of the problem with the system. Abusing it.

• Love 3

With Obamacare in effect everyone has to have health insurance otherwise they will get fined so if Gothardites like the Duggars, Query's and Bateses don't have insurance then they will owe the government loads of money.

They are such hypocrites.

That's not necessarily true, I gave no idea what the law is in Arkansas, and you are right im sure the Duggars and Bates (in Tennessee obviously) will have to get some sort of insurance, some of the lesser know megafamilies may fall into a loophole like I do, that I don't make enough to pay for the obamacare plans, so I qualify for a waiver that I don't have insurance, but I also don't get fined. It's ridiculous, it's because I live in Florida and they opted out of the Medicaid coverage... And way off topic, my point is that a lot of the megafamilies may still be using the ER as a resource, that obamacare does not mean that everyone has insurance.
  • Love 2

Well some think it's free because they're not paying for it. But tax payers are. Gil knows how to work that system. Too bad he can't work a system to support his family.

Is Chad fundie?

I'm pretty sure that they met at a Valentine's Day dinner at Gothard  headquarters.

• Love 2

So Chad's dad and grandfather are/were doctors and they didn't push education on Chad? Does anyone else see that as messed up????????????

I came here to post the same thing -- Chad's father and grandfather are doctors?? I'm surprised. I poked around Chad's blog to see if he has any education. Back in 2010 he was posting about taking midterms in finance and then he posted a "praise God, I'm done school kind of thing." No mention of where he went -- so I don't know if he studied finance at a Crown College type of place from a "biblical" perspective or at a Wharton School/UPenn kind of place from a "we're prepping you for Wall Street" perspective. He has SOME education -- even if it's only AA or a BS from an unaccredited school, and he does work in a white collar capacity as a manager for the metals company he's at -- not as a factory floor employee. It's just that I'd expect more from someone coming from 2 generations of MDs . . . .

• Love 4

So, is Gil Bates going to see the in-law family doctors from now on for medical treatment for free like he worked the ED's in Tennessee? He, sadly, is part of the problem with the system. Abusing it.

Agree. These fundies, who object loudly and often to "government intervention and interference" at every opportunity, also seem to be the first ones to line up for whatever freebies they think they can get. I bet Gil Bates even feels ENTITLED to his ER visits. Hey Gil, if you think it's a bad idea, and especially if you'd take it away from others, why are you taking advantage of it yourself? That's the very definition of "hypocrite."

• Love 4

If Erin and Chad like the name Carson why not a) name this baby Carson or b) save it for the next blessing. Carson isn't even a nickname for Charles, it's a completely different name.

Chad has a younger brother who's a serious hottie. I believe he recently married. This probably sounds snarky and mean but the Bates girls are running circles around the J'Slaves in the hubby department. Even Michaela's boyfriend seems well educated and articulate.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yes, CS Paine IV will be the first Paine grandchild. The brother got married last September, but the wife wore a sleeveless gown, and wears jeans! Decidedly less fundie than either the Bateses or the Paines. That couple may even go on the ebil birth control! 

If Chad had any "higher" education, it was of the Gothard variety. One of his brothers just graduated in the same "class" as Brandon Keilen from the Gothard seminary. Dr. Paine is chin deep in Gothard manure; he moved his family to Oklahoma to fill some need for Gothard. 

Tabitha Paine, the oldest of the Paine's 10 kids (she'll be 30 soon), has been seen with the Duggars over the past couple of months (Dr. Paine led the New Year's "pray in" at the Duggar compound this year. I've thought that she is a likely candidate for JD Duggar. I think he'd do well with a more mature woman, rather than some giggly girl like his sister Jill.

edited due to weird double-post glitch. :/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Tabitha Paine has been rumored to be in a potential courtship with JD for a couple months now. I know zero about her other than she's the eldest Paine sibling. Her looks go together with JD, in other words, woof woof.

• Love 2

I keep forgetting JD is 25. I was about to say 30 is too old for him, but a five year age gap really isn't a big deal.

It's weird how with these Fundie families the girls are either really pretty or really facially challenged. There's no in-between.

• Love 2

The Bateseses lucked out in the gene pool, for the most part. That said, I don't consider Zach attractive at all. 

The Paines are pretty much the opposite of the Duggars: attractive guys, average girls. 

Then, there are the Wallers...all I can say there is "Oh myyyyyy." :D

• Love 2

If Erin and Chad like the name Carson why not a) name this baby Carson or b) save it for the next blessing. Carson isn't even a nickname for Charles, it's a completely different name.

Chad has a younger brother who's a serious hottie. I believe he recently married. This probably sounds snarky and mean but the Bates girls are running circles around the J'Slaves in the hubby department. Even Michaela's boyfriend seems well educated and articulate.

I don't see them saving a name that is as "important" to them as Charles Stephen IV for the next blessing. Given the amount of trouble they had getting and staying pregnant this time around, I don't think they feel comfortable counting on a next pregnancy. I mean I'm sure they'll have more kids -- but it may not be too many more and it may turn out that they have a few girls and then they're done. So if they don't use Charles Stephen IV now, they are risking not using it ever.

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but the typo he worked the ED's is cracking me up. I am getting ideas on what ED means. You have to excuse me. I had a long day at work.

• Love 1

They're naming him Charles Stephen Paine IV, however they both like the name Carson so that's what they plan to call him even though it has nothing to do with his actual name.

Forgive me, I've had a very excellent Tequila Sunrise prepared by my hubby tonight and I'm feeling charitable...but "Carson" is kinda like "Charles' son" and I think it's adorable. Cheers!

• Love 5

Tabitha Paine has been rumored to be in a potential courtship with JD for a couple months now. I know zero about her other than she's the eldest Paine sibling. Her looks go together with JD, in other words, woof woof.

Is there any evidence?

• Love 1
(edited)

http://12paines.com/

These are the most recent pictures, from the holidays. Tabitha is the blonde in the raspberry sweater. There is a "meet the kids" section, but that pic is from 2008, ie. the fundie "crunchy perm" era. 

eta: I remember wondering at the time if Chad was hiding something. Erin was wearing that puffy vest all the time, and Chad's arms always covered her midsection in non-headshot pics. Apparently, she's like Alyssa, who at 35 weeks looks like Jilly Muffin did around week 12: she probably didn't show much at all until well into her second trimester. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Ms. Blossom, see my post above yours for actual evidence. 

There were Instagram pics from New Year's, but I'm too lazy to turn my phone back on and find them. I think they came from Smuggar and/or Jessa/Ben if anyone's interested in digging them up. They all posted stuff from the Pray-In. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I see what you're saying, Sewsumi, I still look at it as gossip, bc no one has come out to confirm it.

Doctorscompanion, that's actually a great photo of Tabatha. Where's JD?

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't know if he was actually there or just off camera. People say he's there and potentially courting Tabitha because, why else would she be there? The Duggars really have no connection to the Paines. And someone posted that JD allegedly flew Chad and Erin to Oklahoma for Christmas.

And I went on the Paines family website and it really doesn't give info on the children. Does anyone know what she does for a living? (Please don't say nanny)

{ETA}

Going through the Paines website one of Chad's brothers (Thomas) got married and the wife (Dakota) had on a sleeveless dress. Someone asked upthread if Chad was fundie but maybe they aren't as extreme.

Edited by TheDoctorsCompanio
  • Love 1

I don't see them saving a name that is as "important" to them as Charles Stephen IV for the next blessing. Given the amount of trouble they had getting and staying pregnant this time around, I don't think they feel comfortable counting on a next pregnancy. I mean I'm sure they'll have more kids -- but it may not be too many more and it may turn out that they have a few girls and then they're done. So if they don't use Charles Stephen IV now, they are risking not using it ever.

I think the original poster said that they should save the name Carson for another blessing not Charles.

• Love 2

Oh wow, that is just...ick. And archaic.

Good missionaries don't see themselves as being above the wonderful people they are sent to. And the term "native" -- what century is he living in?

I wish the church would ditch the term "short term mission trips". People sent out on these trips consisting of less than a couple years aren't really missionaries and often do more harm than good. It takes about 6 months to get past the "honeymoon" stage of missions. And one can't really immerse themself in the community until they've learned the language which generally takes 2 years -- and that's at a level of language study where you are just able to speak fluently but certainly not able to fully engage and grasp and communicate difficult concepts. One does not engage in missions to change the culture of the people group either, but to embrace it and be wise about communicating the gospel and empower the local community to lead the church themself as soon as possible, and in effect work yourself out of a job and take the role of advisor rather than leader before moving onto the next mission.

I was a missionary for the Lutheran Church back in the late 60's.  I spent 2.5 years in East Malaysia (Borneo).  My colleagues and I were teachers in the local church-related school.  Others were ministers in the English-speaking congregation of the local church.  We did not try to convert anyone.  We were there serving a need.  It was one of the best experiences of my life.  Going a way for a month or two is more like a service program and not actually being a missionary. Just my opinion.

• Love 7

I don't know if he was actually there or just off camera. People say he's there and potentially courting Tabitha because, why else would she be there? The Duggars really have no connection to the Paines. And someone posted that JD allegedly flew Chad and Erin to Oklahoma for Christmas.

And I went on the Paines family website and it really doesn't give info on the children. Does anyone know what she does for a living? (Please don't say nanny)

{ETA}

Going through the Paines website one of Chad's brothers (Thomas) got married and the wife (Dakota) had on a sleeveless dress. Someone asked upthread if Chad was fundie but maybe they aren't as extreme.

LOL! I warned you about the sleeveless wedding dress before I even posted their blog! And yes, JD flew Chad and Erin to the Paines' for Christmas. But he stayed until Christmas morning. The plane logs are no longer visible, but those of us who saw it found that just a tad bit strange....or something....

The Tabitha stuff is all conjecture, but they do seem to be in the same place a lot these days. They scrubbed the "Get to know you" kids' section of that blog, which I didn't know when I posted it. I assumed it was still there. My bad on that. 

• Love 2

It's tough to tell in those pictures.  I've seen some dresses that were made that way with the lace going up past the solid part of the top.  Usually the lace goes over the bodice though and it might not on that dress.

• Love 1

Looks like the Paine family doesn't share in the modesty conviction like other Fundy families, or at least not as much. The ladies can wear sleeveless gowns & not be struck down by God.

• Love 2

I don't get UP channel on my TV so no Bates, EXCEPT for today, the channel was clear and I saw Lawson, what a cool guy, and the vegetable garden, and the shot of the dog laying down in the middle of the newly planted garden.  How typical.  How many times has that happened to me, I wonder.  Hey this family isn't half bad.  And I was watching with a jaundiced eye if you know what I mean.  Fundy, but somehow different.  They taught the kids how to cooperate and think and plan.  They laughed.  What a difference.  Yet they are from the same sect and Gil is up there in the organization.  Having a sane, good natured mother helps.  I'd probably be insane with that many kids around, but then I wouldn't have that many.  They actually seem like a nice family.  The kids were kind of snarky about Lawson singing, jealous maybe.  I don't think Kelly threw away her maternity clothes, though she was considering it.  Anyway, yeah for me, I got to see them.

• Love 2

Oh my.....I just watched that you tube video of TFDW and Priscilla gushing about their 3rd anniversary, etc..Priscilla does NOT look well; her eyes are quite tired and she is speaking about giving up sleep to "be awake with her husband"? That poor girl has no self esteem, says she makes mistakes every day and that her husband forgives her for them????What the heck is wrong with these people, her unconcerned mother, Suzette Keller and her even dumber sister Anna Duggar? These women are taught that being a doormat is Godly? God does not want ANYONE to be treated as such...and just what is David Waller doing for HIS wife? Nothing. He doesn't seem concerned that Priscilla will not be able to keep her eyes open soon.. would he want that to be when she is driving? (If she is allowed to drive, that is). It really aggravated me to watch that crap.

• Love 3

I would like to know just "what these mistakes that Pris makes actually ARE"? Those two, for some reason, just give me the creeps...I feel for Pris, as she is a sweet girl and just doesn't know any better. I bet she was taught to not seek out any information, except religious, and to never question anything she is told...keep happy, etc...all that crap party line...How can her mother think that this is the way to be? Just can't understand it.

She stated in this painful video that "someone" said ...the statement about not seeking your own satisfaction from giving to someone else..why didn't she simply say Bill Gothard taught and said...""xxx"? They aid and abed this man into obscurity, yet he is their master and teacher...just doesn't sound healthy,,,,oh, wait, that's because IT ISN'T healthy OR Christian at all...not even generally Godly.

In my 6:55pm post about the Waller you tube, I originally typed "stupid Mrs. Keller",but I didn't want to insult the woman directly like that, but I can't help but want to put my hands on that woman's shoulders and shake some sense in to her....ask her to step up to the plate and explain why it's ok for most of her daughters to be used like that by their husbands,,,don't get me started on Esther Shrader, as I see it, Anna has the powdered behind life with Joshy...she's living like a pampered queen...just keep pushing out the blessings, and stay in the kitchen and cover your knees, girl....(Of course, I wouldn't literally put my hands on someone else, but you know what I mean).

• Love 4

I just finished watching the video & my first thought is I'm praying on my heart that Pris doesn't home school those kids. We thought the Duggars are bad with their SOTDR. They are geniuses compared to how these kids will turn out. Why do these couples think they are the only ones who have to "suffer" thru life's daily challenges? Yes Dave, you aren't the only parent that comes home tired from work & feels like checking out but doesn't. Just the way he looks at Pris is creepy. This video looks like it could be in a Lifetime movie when they do the "three month before things happened" flashback (when everything seemed right with the family but wasn't.)

• Love 2

.  Fundy, but somehow different.  They taught the kids how to cooperate and think and plan.  They laughed.  What a difference.  Yet they are from the same sect and Gil is up there in the organization.  Having a sane, good natured mother helps.

I think Kelly and Gil really want kids, as opposed to Michelle who felt guilty about her miscarriage and had to pray for a "heart for children". Plus the Bateses seem adaptable, not rigid in their beliefs. They are willing to adjust the plan when needed.

• Love 3

God does not want ANYONE to be treated as such...and just what is David Waller doing for HIS wife?

Word.

You think Priscilla's self-esteem is bad now? Wait till TFDW is caught in an airport restroom with a male stranger and no pants. 

• Love 13

David Waller scares me. Josh Duggar can be an arrogant jerk, but I don't believe he is emotionally abusive to his wife. Priscilla is like a dumb hapless puppy in the hands of a cruel owner, I'm truly worried for her.

• Love 11

David Waller scares me. Josh Duggar can be an arrogant jerk, but I don't believe he is emotionally abusive to his wife. Priscilla is like a dumb hapless puppy in the hands of a cruel owner, I'm truly worried for her.

Yes, Josh is arrogant, but he’s not angry. I think he genuinely appreciates Anna. TFDW, on the other hand, is a classic example of someone who’s forced to live a lie and is lashing out because he can’t be who he is. (Yes, this is speculation on my part, but come ON.)

• Love 14

I don't think Gothard plans for nervous breakdowns. Michelle's coasted for the last 12 kids. I think Gill and Kelly are better gothard-ish parents. Not that I really approve of them, but they're better at it.

I feel the same way about the Bateses. Because of the Gothard stuff, I'll never be a fan -- but I do find them much more appealing because they seem to really derive joy from their kids. I'd love to see a Duggar kid marry into that family and reap the benefits of learning that an extra-large family doesn't have to be 110 percent dysfunctional.  

• Love 4

I noticed Boob & MEchelle (or at least Boob) was missing at Gil's surprise 50th birthday party on the Bates show last night. The kids arranged for friends from all parts of Gil's life to be there. I think someone brought up before that it may be a contractual thing since the shows are on different networks or maybe Boob just couldn't make it. It seems funny that in the older episodes Boob & Gil come across as Besties & now they aren't even shown together. I guess they have to have some contact since Joe is staying with the Bateses while attending college.