Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Yeah I think I would choose the RV too.   Of course, who knows what will happen to poor Pa when Jill needs it to go grifting.

I would guess the arrangement would be the same as when ma and pa lived in the Rod RV in W. V.  - they lived in the RV when the rods were home and moved into the house when the traveling circus left town. PA will stay in the house with Phillip.

• Sad 5

Healthy children ? As if. Hers look like starving refugees.

Hey Jonjon thanks for paying for our double date. We enjoyed stuffing ourselves at the SEVERELY good Olive Garden.

And Hunk likes watching the painting/tv in bed. How many hours a day is he watching tv? He should exercise instead.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

B7886475-6AF9-4A39-853C-A3C4C0EBDCBD.jpeg

I kept reading that first sentence as "waking up with Thanksgiving food on my lips" and I figured she was talking about Hunk snoring in bed next to her with mashed potatoes and bits of turkey stuck to his face.

• LOL 16
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

In law children? I think I know what she means but my brain is so confused I couldn't explain it. Why to early for that.

She means the spouses of her children, daughters and sons in law. Jill is Jill, but there isn't one word to describe that relationship in English, but most people would say "my children-in-law".

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Kaylee and Jonathan CHOSE to go on a double date with her parents to celebrate 1 month of marriage.   Because what newlywed couple doesn't want to double date with the parental units.   We ALL know who paid.  

Yeah I don't believe that for ONE minute. Do people really celebrate one month of marriage? (I am not married or partnered so I have no clue).

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Heathen said:

If Pa has any sense, he said, "No, the RV will be just fine for me." Would YOU want to stay in that gross house with 11 people and 11,854 doodads per room? 

As for Ma, she'll be ignored until Jill needs another reason for a fundraiser. 

Absolutely this.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Honestly, I think Ma would be safer and better cared for near her other daughters. I wonder how this transpired? I have no doubt that this is Jill's will being done. The only purpose I can see is for Jill to grift. I hope Ma really is getting good care and by care, I don't mean hair and make up.

To be fair, a lot of times this sort of post-hospital rehab care is down to what facilities have beds open at the time of discharge that take Medicare/Medicaid/whatever insurance they have.  Just because a facility has a physical bed available doesn't mean the open bed is available to a particular insurance either.  When my dad needed to transition out of hospital, the social workers doing the placement originally couldn't find anything nearby, so we had them looking at places that were near friends and family that could help out, but were still close enough to the hospital that appropriate transport was available, which was basically a 3 hour drive from the hospital where he was at the time.  So since Ma was in a hospital in OH already, this may have been one of the only options with a bed available, close enough to the hospital to arrange proper transport, and near at least one family member that could host Pa. 

A realistic family would now be looking at longer term options within their price range and in their preferred location.  They'd be getting on wait lists for their preferred facilities immediately.  Somewhere that does multiple levels of care, where Pa could get a little apartment and Ma could get assisted care would be ideal if it were in their budget, but unless there is significant property to sell or Pa's old job had great LTC insurance that he participated in, I doubt it is.  Unfortunately for Ma, this family isn't realistic.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, peppergal said:

They'd be getting on wait lists for their preferred facilities immediately.

that would require planning ahead.   Not something this family does.   They are very much a "God will provide so why should we put in any effort" family.   

1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

Do people really celebrate one month of marriage? (I am not married or partnered so I have no clue).

I started to do all that 1 month since we got married stuff with my hubby.   he eventually looked at me and said "Seriously honey, its not that a big a deal."   Now our wedding anniversary we usually do a trip of some kind.   Which we PLAN for well in advance.   And pay for ourselves without asking for hand outs.  (man are we stupid, I really need to follow the Jill Rod method)

• Like 10
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Tim lives in a camper. Rods have an actual RV

He lives in a camper?  I assumed he was in the RV when they weren't using it.

Is he banished there every night?  Does he get to come in the house for dinner?  That is so freaking weird.

The Rods keeping their grown son in a camper on their property has "Netflix Documentary" written all over it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Is he banished there every night?  Does he get to come in the house for dinner?  That is so freaking weird.

The Rods keeping their grown son in a camper on their property has "Netflix Documentary" written all over it. 

I’m sure Jill also makes him pay rent to stay there.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 6
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

The camper seems pretty nice. It has cooking facilities and probably a small bath. It's hooked to the Rod's electricity, for which I'm sure Tim is charged. I don't know how water is handled. We can assume he pays rent because the children are part of Jill's income stream.  

I remember when Tim moved in Jill said something about how he would be invited for dinner once in a while. Whatever she said led me to believe that Tim couldn't just drop in the barndo when the mood struck. 

• Sad 13
Just now, BradandJanet said:

remember when Tim moved in Jill said something about how he would be invited for dinner once in a while

20 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Does he get to come in the house for dinner? 

Why would Tim get to eat dinner when the rest of the kids don't?   Honestly having his own kitchen in the camper probably means he gets a square meal once in a while, even if it is a can of soup and a sandwich.

• Like 3
  • Sad 10
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I started to do all that 1 month since we got married stuff with my hubby.   he eventually looked at me and said "Seriously honey, its not that a big a deal."   Now our wedding anniversary we usually do a trip of some kind.   Which we PLAN for well in advance.   And pay for ourselves without asking for hand outs.  (man are we stupid, I really need to follow the Jill Rod method)

Yes, anniversary acknowledgement (trips, parties, outings) makes sense, (and I think it's a  typical thing in our culture) but MONTHLY?? I know this marriage is likely the most exciting thing to happen to Kaylee in her entire life, but its only been a month!

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes, anniversary acknowledgement (trips, parties, outings) makes sense, (and I think it's a  typical thing in our culture) but MONTHLY??

My husband and I when we'd been married a month (probably):

Me: Hey, we've been married a month.

Him: Oh, yeah? How about Chinese for dinner?

Me: I could eat some lo mein.

But we had other things in our future to look forward to: hobbies, vacations, gatherings with friends, career advancement, grad school...

The Rods and their ilk celebrate every little milestone because marriage and babies are all they have to celebrate.

$10 of my own money (no grifting required!) says Jonathan and Kaylee treated Shrek and BME to that dinner.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Next time my husband and I got out to dinner with either my parents or his, I'm going to tell him that we are going on a double date to see what his reaction is.
Jill, no one I know says they are going on a double date with their parents, it's called just going to dinner.

And if you're celebrating something, the couple (or person) celebrating whatever milestone should never pay for their meal. 

• Like 7
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The camper seems pretty nice. It has cooking facilities and probably a small bath. It's hooked to the Rod's electricity, for which I'm sure Tim is charged. I don't know how water is handled. We can assume he pays rent because the children are part of Jill's income stream.  

I remember when Tim moved in Jill said something about how he would be invited for dinner once in a while. Whatever she said led me to believe that Tim couldn't just drop in the barndo when the mood struck. 

Jill made it sound like Timmy was moving to lodging that was not on their property, likely to disguise his failure to launch. I think her statement that he would be  invited to dinner sometimes was part of the ruse.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

I'm sure (and Kaylee) was not so gently coerced into " requesting that BME and her hunk" join them for their one month anniversary. Just as I'm sure the same thing will happen every month (perhaps even weekly or daily) as well.

• Sad 9
11 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I see that they also have a “map” in their bedroom.

You never know when the urge to see where Australia is will occur. Seriously they all lie about not watching TV and really, who cares one way or the other.

• Love 18
59 minutes ago, Triple P said:

Jill made it sound like Timmy was moving to lodging that was not on their property, likely to disguise his failure to launch. I think her statement that he would be  invited to dinner sometimes was part of the ruse.

I recall reading a post where Jill was doing a sort of catching up regarding the family. She said Tim was grown up, working, and moved out on his own. Liar, liar. Like you said, a ruse to hide the failure to launch. It’s going to become more difficult to hide as Timcel reaches 30 years old and still living in that camper.

• Like 6
  • Sad 8
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
42 minutes ago, SMama said:

I recall reading a post where Jill was doing a sort of catching up regarding the family. She said Tim was grown up, working, and moved out on his own. Liar, liar. Like you said, a ruse to hide the failure to launch. It’s going to become more difficult to hide as Timcel reaches 30 years old and still living in that camper.

from June 16 2020 from a post about Timothy and his moving back to mama, next plans and new video.

"So, with much prayer and transferring things, he has now moved back near us! He does not live with us, but next to us! He stops in and eats dinner with us nearly every night. My Mama’s heart is SO FULL! With Nurie getting married and moving to Florida this summer, I am working on “borrowed” time by having ALL of my 13 children around me again! I am SO blessed!"

https://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/?p=4031

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I doubt they have any LTC insurance, and since Pa quit his job, all they have is his SS and *maybe* a pension for income. They seemed to live hand to mouth, so I doubt they have much, if any, retirement savings.

If they have very little savings, and only their monthly SS checks, they may qualify for Medicaid.  Although it’s hard to find a good assistive living Medicaid bed, most Adult Family Homes accept Medicaid and they can be very good. Usually 4 to 6 residents and home cooked meals, and most can handle hospice patients, with hospice nurses so the resident doesn’t have to be moved at the end. My in-laws were  both in a couple different homes and received great care at both.

I saw Ma Turtleneck in her bed on Reddit, with Jill front and center naturally, and I was struck by how young Ma looks.  Certainly much younger than garish Jill.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

She means the spouses of her children, daughters and sons in law. Jill is Jill, but there isn't one word to describe that relationship in English, but most people would say "my children-in-law".

She really could have left it at “family”.  Everyone would know who she meant. She didn’t shout out Nemo & Newsie either. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She fails to mention that he returned home in March, before midterms and spring break. I believe he was home before the Covid shutdown. 

Tell the truth Jill. Timcel is a two time dropout. 

He came home for his birthday, which coincided with Spring Break, IIRC. Covid shutdown started during Spring Break, so he did not go back. He may have been able to continue remotely or may have dropped out at that point.

16 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

E0CDEC34-0DE4-4659-9463-498985030A5B.jpeg

8F0534E9-C0EE-45A7-A9E5-2A00985F93E4.jpeg

They will keep marrying daughters and eventually the picture of at home children will be BME, DBD, and their four sons. Those young men have been stunted in favor of the grift. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 14
14 minutes ago, Triple P said:

He came home for his birthday, which coincided with Spring Break, IIRC. Covid shutdown started during Spring Break, so he did not go back. He may have been able to continue remotely or may have dropped out at that point.

I believe school was still in session on his birthday. Lockdown happened during what would have been spring break. I only know because I was nosy and looked up Fox Valley's academic calendar. He blew off midterms to be home for his birthday. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 2
7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I believe school was still in session on his birthday. Lockdown happened during what would have been spring break. I only know because I was nosy and looked up Fox Valley's academic calendar. He blew off midterms to be home for his birthday. 

Blowing off midterms certainly points to dropping out then. I guess Jill was lucky that the lockdown happened, convenient excuse for Tim not returning to school. She was able to make it sound like he planned to go back after Spring Break but couldn't for reasons other than his lack of academic aptitude.

• Like 8
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

From left to right: Janessa 4, Sophia 7 & Sadie 9. Sophia is half a head taller than Janessa but is 33 months older. Sophia is a full head shorter than Sadie who is only 19 months older. 😢

image.png.51d8d7bdf1b010b46d34f5dbce5027ed.png

And why can't they have nice modest clothes that actually go together? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

524707FB-8D99-4C51-9C2D-1556A859D516.jpeg

Seriously is the family "smaller" if Jonathan and Kaylee are with the family ALL the time?    I'm sure Kaylee and Jonathan wanted to join them.   Okay for this I believe it.   A chance to hang out with the family doing something fun.   Also Kaylee is probably not used to time not with a horde of people.   So she goes over to the barndo regularly for company.   Especially because Jonathan works.   Which he has to because we know who paid for the tree.

I really hope Jonathan figures out pretty quick that he is just there for his wallet and asserts his headship over Kaylee.   He can support he and Kaylee and a small family on his salary.   He can't support his family AND Kaylee's on his salary.

• Like 4
  • Love 17
On 12/4/2022 at 10:39 PM, GeeGolly said:

The funny thing with these Fundy families is, the wives are all strong women. Yes they play the submissive game, but both Michelle and JillR run their families 100%. Jessa too. While Jill, Jinger and Joy lay back a little more, they're still their own people.

That's a good point, and it did cross my mind when I was spouting off upthread about the officially super-patriarchal fundie family structure that is the only kind of family life Nathan and Nurie have ever known (and will be creating for their own family). I'm not sure if Meech or JillR run their families 100%, although I'm sure they are very skilled at working with their husbands' mandates (and sometimes working around them in ways the guys don't realize, I'm sure), to make things happen the way they think best. I don't know enough about the Bateses or other fundie families, but IMO the wives would have to be pretty competent and strong to just keep the family fed and clothed and the house clean, whatever level of "submissive" they really may be. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

And why can't they have nice modest clothes that actually go together? 

Jill probably buys the dollar bags of clothes the thrift shop couldn't sell. She doesn't shop this way for herself. The only time any thought goes into good fit or appearance of the children's clothes is when they need to dress for an event that reflects on Jill, such as a public musical performance or a Rodlet wedding. The churches they visit on the grift tours don't count because Jill can increase sympathy donations if the children look like workhouse orphans.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 8
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

I hope Jonathan and Kaylee were along to get a tree for their own home. Surely they have "Our First Christmas Together As A Married Couple" ornaments to display.

In the case of these people that ornament should probably say 'our only Christmas together as a childless married couple'.

• Sad 15
  • LOL 1
14 hours ago, louannems said:

If they have very little savings, and only their monthly SS checks, they may qualify for Medicaid.  Although it’s hard to find a good assistive living Medicaid bed, most Adult Family Homes accept Medicaid and they can be very good. Usually 4 to 6 residents and home cooked meals, and most can handle hospice patients, with hospice nurses so the resident doesn’t have to be moved at the end. My in-laws were  both in a couple different homes and received great care at both.

I saw Ma Turtleneck in her bed on Reddit, with Jill front and center naturally, and I was struck by how young Ma looks.  Certainly much younger than garish Jill.

I was also amazed by how young Ma looks, but I think Jill may have also filtered that pic.  She’s started filtering many of her photos before posting them. 

13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

E0CDEC34-0DE4-4659-9463-498985030A5B.jpeg

8F0534E9-C0EE-45A7-A9E5-2A00985F93E4.jpeg

Why does Janessa’s stomach look so swollen?

• Sad 7