Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Tim seems to me to be much like Nathan Bates in the Fundy-guy sense. The big difference is Nathan must have some endearing qualities that attract women because he's had at least two, maybe three serious courtships, prior to marrying. But he's also had way more opportunities to meet Fundy women than Tim has.

All that to say, I think Tim is a scary dude and when he does marry, I hope its to a strong woman who will put him in his place and then divorce him. Someone needs to wake him up and help him put his head on straight.

Or at least deprogram him and then get him to move far, far away from Mommy. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, Heathen said:

I read somewhere (maybe Reddit) that Steve's heart problems are what resulted in this massive change to the Maxwell family rules. Whether or not that's true, it's clear that SOMETHING happened to lessen Steve's control over his family. I would love to know what it was, and what other changes have happened. 

I checked out their blog just now. You'll all be shocked -- shocked, I tell you! -- to hear that Steve and Terri both still write like they have a large stick up their asses. They remind me of Stephen King's memoir On Writing, the section where he tells people how NOT to write. 

Steve first had his heart issues several years before the girls moved out. However, they might have been living kind of separate lives while still at home. Teri turned Steve into a vegan, and they both lost considerable weight, even though they were both at healthy weights to begin with. The girls may have chosen not to go vegan and as a result been on different meal schedules. I didn't see any weight loss with the girls that I saw with Steve and Teri, which may support my theory. 😀

But they lived that way for a few years. Maybe having different schedules made inflexible Stevehovah a little flexible which allowed him to be able to let go of his daughters. 

3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Anna and the kids are in FL too.

I wondered the same. Haven't seen them.

• Useful 3
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Steve first had his heart issues several years before the girls moved out. However, they might have been living kind of separate lives while still at home. Teri turned Steve into a vegan, and they both lost considerable weight, even though they were both at healthy weights to begin with. The girls may have chosen not to go vegan and as a result been on different meal schedules. I didn't see any weight loss with the girls that I saw with Steve and Teri, which may support my theory. 😀

But they lived that way for a few years. Maybe having different schedules made inflexible Stevehovah a little flexible which allowed him to be able to let go of his daughters. 

I don't think they decided to move out and live free in the space of a week, or even a month or a year. I don't think vegan diets had anything to do with it. 

• Love 1
Just now, Heathen said:

I don't think they decided to move out and live free in the space of a week, or even a month or a year. I don't think vegan diets had anything to do with it. 

It's more throwing Steve off a schedule. I also wonder if covid affected them at all. As for school, I believe that Anna and Mary both transferred in as juniors, so they had been doing some sort of college online. Sarah was working for her brother Joe at Swift Otter as his admin assistant, but she never said if she went to an office or worked from home. But that money allowed her to move out.

I want to know what went on in Steve's mind that allowed him to let them all go? He's just been so insular for so long. 

14 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

That video of BME interviewing the older girls in the cornfield was downright creepy.  Jill has really done a number on those girls.  Bizarre brainwashing at its worst.  I’m not sure why those girls speak and behave in that manner, but you can be sure that they learned it from their lunatic of a mother.

That's like a horror show. Grinning like banshees, verbalizing with high pitched droning noises. Stuff of nightmares.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Congregating in Florida for Thanksgiving. The couple in the middle is David Keller and Hannah Reber Keller. 

51789509-EE73-4FDF-8A83-DBACE5CED6A8.thumb.jpeg.5a253240129709d8d162a5e69edf18a8.jpeg

Poor Nurie, dragging her seven-seconds postpartum body around a park, and keeping a big grin plastered on her face all the while.

You know what I wanted to do when I was postpartum? Sit in one place and have people bring me things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 17
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Heathen said:

I read somewhere (maybe Reddit) that Steve's heart problems are what resulted in this massive change to the Maxwell family rules. Whether or not that's true, it's clear that SOMETHING happened to lessen Steve's control over his family. I would love to know what it was, and what other changes have happened. 

I could see that. Also Steve may have let his hold go on his daughters' not only because his health problems took up a lot of his energy, but because he was terrified they wouldnt have the skills to "make it" without a headship after he was gone.

9 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

Poor Nurie, dragging her seven-seconds postpartum body around a park, and keeping a big grin plastered on her face all the while.

You know what I wanted to do when I was postpartum? Sit in one place and have people bring me things.

You crack me up! My Mom said the best thing about after her two c-sections was having people wait on her hand and foot. She doesnt understand why these young women are always going out after having a baby, "especially when they have a computer in their pocket and can get everything delivered!"😂 I do hope that Nurie did WANT to go to the park and be in the picture. I assume its warm in TX given they aren't wearing much clothing, if Nurie wanted to do this activity more power to her, if she was coerced I feel badly for her.

• Like 6
  • Love 3

I think the catalyst for the Maxwell change was the church they now attend.  One of the sons found it.  That family was going there full time.  The fathership group went first for special occasions and then for Sunday evening services.  Anna and Mary began participating there more and more.  When the pandemic hit, Steve couldn't have his pretend retirement village "church" and they were all in with the regular church and the pastor there had discussions encouraging letting the grown women go.  He's the one who recommended ABC.

• Useful 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could see that. Also Steve may have let his hold go on his daughters' not only because his health problems took up a lot of his energy, but because he was terrified they wouldn't have the skills to "make it" without a headship after he was gone.

That's an interesting point. Maybe Steve decided he'd have to let his daughters go, just in case anything happened to him, because of course Terri and her sinful Pepsi idolization could not be trusted to keep the daughters on the straight and narrow. They would have to have their own headship. 🙄

No matter what happened, I think we can all be relieved for Sarah, Anna 1.0, and Mary that they get to have their own lives now. I hope they make the most of it, and I hope Terri gets to have pop every now and then. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Poor Tessie was so inarticulate. And she needs to stop slouching. Own your height, girlfriend!

Jill has probably told Tessie that she’ll have trouble finding a man because she’s so tall.  I’m serious.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 17
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

You crack me up! My Mom said the best thing about after her two c-sections was having people wait on her hand and foot.

Thank you! Your mom is a wise woman.

A few days after I had my kid, I was like, "hey, you know what sounds great? fries!" (or ice cream or some Advil or whatever) and then someone brought me some.

I did that for postpartum friends, too.

You're supposed to take it easy after childbirth. It's not a competition about who can be the toughest.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 8
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Congregating in Florida for Thanksgiving. The couple in the middle is David Keller and Hannah Reber Keller. 

51789509-EE73-4FDF-8A83-DBACE5CED6A8.thumb.jpeg.5a253240129709d8d162a5e69edf18a8.jpeg

I wonder if they take the older kids into prisons to do ministry. Also, does anyone else see a bump on Pris?

24 minutes ago, Kbo said:

Totally agree. Plus, RSV and COVID are running rampant. If I had a newborn right now, I’d be staying home as long as I could. 

Nurie has no choice. Nathan makes the rules. 

• Sad 11
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could see that. Also Steve may have let his hold go on his daughters' not only because his health problems took up a lot of his energy, but because he was terrified they wouldnt have the skills to "make it" without a headship after he was gone.

You crack me up! My Mom said the best thing about after her two c-sections was having people wait on her hand and foot. She doesnt understand why these young women are always going out after having a baby, "especially when they have a computer in their pocket and can get everything delivered!"😂 I do hope that Nurie did WANT to go to the park and be in the picture. I assume its warm in TX given they aren't wearing much clothing, if Nurie wanted to do this activity more power to her, if she was coerced I feel badly for her.

These women can’t afford to have everything delivered. But surely their husbands are capable of getting them whatever they need. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

These women can’t afford to have everything delivered. But surely their husbands are capable of getting them whatever they need. 

Yes their husbands should be attending to them as they recover from the birth! We dont know much about Nathan to know if he is that type, for Nurie's sake I hope he's considerate. She was never taught to advocate for herself, he should offer- you know as she is his wife and the mother of his children and just gave birth.

• Like 10
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

Why is the couple in the middle wearing Christmas sweaters? 

Prissy does indeed appear to be pregnant again. 

I just saw a video of Prissy giving a tour of their camper. She looks as slim as ever. Don't forget, she's had six kids. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Anybody notice that those three couples all look like each other? Not that Nathan looks like David -- Nathan and Nurie look alike, David and Priscilla obviously look alike, and the Keller/Reber couple look alike. It's kind of weird. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Teriacky said:

Why is the couple in the middle wearing Christmas sweaters? 

If I had to guess, maybe there was a nice photography spot at Silver Springs and they took pictures for their Christmas card? But they do look funny when pretty much everyone else is in short sleeves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

[Sounds familiar. Word for word.]

Advertise the place, get free fruit and vegetables next time they stop by?

I'm not sure a local mom & pop fruit farm would want a hateful Fundy advertising for them. Of course unless the fruit farm owners are hateful Fundies too. But then there's the problem that Jill likely has less than a dozen followers from Ohio.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not sure a local mom & pop fruit farm would want a hateful Fundy advertising for them. Of course unless the fruit farm owners are hateful Fundies too. But then there's the problem that Jill likely has less than a dozen followers from Ohio.

What's the meaning of the phrase 'There is no such thing as bad publicity'?

'There is no such thing as bad publicity' is the notion that all mentions in the media aid a person's cause, even if they put them in a bad light.

What's the origin of the phrase 'There is no such thing as bad publicity'?

'There's no such thing as bad publicity' is often associated with Phineas T. Barnum, the 19th century American showman and circus owner. Barnum was a self-publicist of the first order and never missed an opportunity to present his wares to the public. As with many other supposed quotations, there's no hard evidence to link the 'bad publicity' quotation to him.

The proverbial expression began to be used in the early 20th century. The earliest version that I have found in print is from the US newspaper The Atlanta Constitution, January, 1915:

All publicity is good if it is intelligent.

The thought behind the proverb had been expressed earlier by Oscar Wilde:

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

The idea that no publicity can do harm is clearly open to question. For someone seeking notoriety and a somewhat scandalous reputation, like Marie Lloyd and Mae West in days gone by, or Paris Hilton more recently, that may be true. The shareholders of BP and Toyota, which have both suffered falls in their market price due to worldwide publicizing of their recent difficulties, may feel differently.

Probably the most celebrated adapter of the expression was another great wit from the Dublin literary scene, the Irish Republican and self-proclaimed "drinker with a writing problem", Brendan Behan. Behan's boisterous lifestyle meant that for him, more than others, there was truth in his opinion that:

There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary.

• Love 1

I had to share this... Carlin Bates is at her inlaws'. Her MIL has fairly short hair. She's shown on an IG story doing Thanksgiving dinner prep work and get this, the woman has on a hairnet, well maybe a shower cap, but something controlling her hair, none the less.

Duggars, please take note.

• Like 15
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Exactly.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Jill’s latest reels show J&K’s house. Their bedroom is so small—literally room for a bed. I’m not even sure where they would put their clothes. Decor color isn’t too bad but there’s stuff on any open spot (Jill’s trademark). I really hope K& J picked most the stuff and not Jill. 

• Sad 8

I just can't with JillR's brown country décor. It is so depressing. And they need to flip the bed - a 6" inch pathway that is 3' tall is not going to cut it. And the fireplace, just no. The wiring in that place can't handle that.

• Like 8
  • Sad 7
16 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

For those of you who can't see it, Jon just stood with no words. He should know by now his MIL often leaves folks speechless.

Yes, he simply smiled the whole time. 

4D89442B-021A-4D0B-BA26-3C39BCD027DA.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • LOL 2

A comment on Jill’s post:

“Awh what a wonderful first home. The fact that its streamlined with decor is awesome.“

I don’t think this person is familiar with the concept, streamlined!

Edited by ginger90
  • LOL 21
  • Love 1