Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

Was there really anything that could be done to treat Priscilla's dull butter knife of a brain? I think her simple gullible nature has left her far less damaged than David, who, in an effort to reconcile his reality and his ideals, has probably twisted and tied his brain into a knot that's impossible to untangle.

• Love 3

I don't know, it worries me. What was she like as a child? What if her will was simply broken enough to traumatize her? The whole "dying to self" thing can be taken way too far and used as an abusive weapon, even with the best intentions.

• Love 1

I don't know, it worries me. What was she like as a child? What if her will was simply broken enough to traumatize her? The whole "dying to self" thing can be taken way too far and used as an abusive weapon, even with the best intentions.

As a child she was probably just even slower on the uptake. There's an antiquated term "trainable" that probably fits her. She does seem to be able to follow instructions, and basically that's all fundies want from a woman.
  • Love 1

So I was just looking at Alyssa Bates' Instagram and people are giving this poor girl shit AGAIN because she posted a picture where she's wearing jeans. These people act like she walks around with her T&A hanging out a la Kylie Jenner. One poster even told her she needs to reread the Bible passages regarding modesty. I don't understand why they have such a hard-on for this girl.

Good for her for being herself, and thinking for herself.  That is what Martin Luther wanted (and it is Reformation Sunday) that we all read the scriptures in our own language and decide God's law for ourselves.  Not have the church be a dictator, more of a guide.  You go Alyssa!  Block the negative.

• Love 5

As I was enjoying a can of mixed nuts the other day I asked God, I said God why are there people like Priscilla so lost and confused? I had so many questions and God said - Defrauder, Priscilla and those like her are like the mixed nuts in the can surrounded by other mixed nuts, unable to free themselves not even realizing they're in a can, not able to see a world outside of the can.  They shelter themselves within the can and fear even trying to get out, coerced and made to fear anything outside of it.  Surrounded by other mixed nuts constantly reinforced to live like a nut forever.

LMAO!
  • Love 2

Considering David does seem to have some sort of brainpower, what on earth do he and his love speak of, do you think? They must be quite the conversations.

I guarantee their conversations are very generic, cordial and pleasant. Almost like two co-workers out for a business luncheon. Sprinkle some Bible verses in there and you have David and Prissy.

• Love 10

Considering David does seem to have some sort of brainpower, what on earth do he and his love speak of, do you think?  They must be quite the conversations.

He says, "Look at the leaves Prissy, some of them are dead."  She thinks, ... (well tries to think). He says "Just look at all of God's glory in full color." She thinks I am God's Glory too, I should be more like leaves.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 8

David - When are you ovulating this month?

Priscilla - Between the 12th and the 16th.

David - OK let's only do it on those days.  Sex for procreation only, for God.

Priscilla - Yes we are dead to our own desires.  Sex for God, it's beautiful to be dead to ourselves.

David - A true sacrifice like the walk to the cross.

Priscilla - God will bless us with another child for being so selfless and dead to ourselves.

David - Praise the Lord.

• Love 17

David - When are you ovulating this month?

Priscilla - Between the 12th and the 16th.

David - OK let's only do it on those days.  Sex for procreation only, for God.

Priscilla - Yes we are dead to our own desires.  Sex for God, it's beautiful to be dead to ourselves.

David - A true sacrifice like the walk to the cross.

Priscilla - God will bless us with another child for being so selfless and dead to ourselves.

David - Praise the Lord.

And then Priscilla says, "So leave your cup in the bedroom on the 12th."

• Love 4

In the meantime while we await a possible update to winsome David's blog, we have these words of wisdom from Priscilla and her take on why leaves change. Reflections by Priscilla.  She appears to be hearing voices. 47 seconds of religious insanity.

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/2012/10/03/happy-fall/

The more dead you are to yourself the more beautiful you are is what God told Priscilla.  Be dead to your plans and visions and yourself and you will be more beautiful.  Like the beautiful dead leaves.

• Love 5

Since David has yet to bless us with another Halloween tale, I've had to resort to his twitter page for material.  Tweet from September 14th:  

The problem is we have too much Jesus in us to embrace and enjoy the world and too much of the world in us to embrace and enjoy Jesus. 

My nut story is true.  I rest my case.

• Love 7

Since David has yet to bless us with another Halloween tale, I've had to resort to his twitter page for material.  Tweet from September 14th:  

The problem is we have too much Jesus in us to embrace and enjoy the world and too much of the world in us to embrace and enjoy Jesus. 

Well then, I guess they're shit out of luck.

• Love 6

And of course, every Christian who has "too much of the world in them", has it because they want and welcome it.  They wouldn't happen to be stuck unwillingly with "too much of the world" dragging themselves away from spiritual pursuits, like say job stress from a job they don't want.

...Hey, maybe I'm onto something with the nonworking Duggars.

• Love 4

This is scaring me. Seriously

That quote sounds freakily like a manifesto/send-off note. I don't want to go overboard here, but I can't be the only one thinking it here. 

Please let me be wrong. 

• Love 3

That quote sounds freakily like a manifesto/send-off note. I don't want to go overboard here, but I can't be the only one thinking it here. 

Please let me be wrong. 

I'm not thinking it.  I just think that when David or Priscilla want to 'compose' a 'thought', they write down "Jesus" five times, and then fill in the gaps with words plucked at random from a dictionary.

• Love 12

I don't even understand that.  Between Ben's ramblings and Wallers...I don't know. Then again, the Creationist Museum makes sense to them.  I must be missing something.

I don't understand it either.  David is high on the Gothard food chain as Administrator Director at ATI.  Maybe one of the requirements is that you don't make sense.  Too much Jesus in someone to enjoy and embrace the world?  Maybe part of the brainwashing Institute requires someone to not make sense?  I've never heard someone say that they have a problem because they have too much Jesus in them.  

Yep, the jury is back. 'Winsome' and 'Dead Leaves' are both certifiable.

(I actually feel sorry for them because they haven't a hope of a whiff of a clue about life.)

Thank you for the confirmation.  Now which insane asylum should we send them to?

• Love 1

Please let me be wrong.

Sounds a little Zen to me with the reminders to be "in" the world but not "of" it.

• Love 3

Please let me be wrong. 

I don't know. Seems to me much more likely that this is just his attempt at an aphorism spelling out the general human condition (for Christians).

All are sinners -- who have too much love for the world, cause for some reason that's what's said to make you a sinner (don't get that at all -- I think hate and negative emotions are the likely culprits in sin, but anyway) -- but all Christians also are striving after the Lord (which makes them turn away from the world -- personally, I don't get that either, because if God made the world I'd think we were supposed to love it, but anyway....).

In David's warped-by-a-lifetime-of-crazies mind, I would think, this is just a cool paradoxical statement of the paradoxical nature of Christian life: We're all constant, lost and worldly sinners but we all also love the Lord and strive toward him constantly. It's a lifetime of struggle! (which they kind of want, I guess, since the presence of the endless paradoxical struggle shows what strong believers they are?) I think he probably uses Twitter to polish up his aphorisms for his speaking engagements and so on.

As Clemgo 3165 said, it's a zen koan for Christians. The language of religion is pretty much always paradoxical. And these guys model themselves on the King James, where parallelisms are a big stylistic thing.

There must be something wrong with me, because I don't really find the statement strange at all. I think it's just an attempt at a poetic casting of something pretty normal -- They're people but believers, so they're full of both worldly thoughts and feelings and the striving for Christ. (As I said, I personally don't really get why loving the world should be antithetical to loving God. But that's clearly a major tenet of their belief system.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

No matter how someone tries to make sense of it I still think that 'Winsome' and 'Dead Leaves', (as Mrs. Kisses so appropriately and humorously named them) are not making sense.  I don't see any philosophical argument supporting the idea of someone having too much Jesus in them to prevent them from enjoying or embracing the world.  While someone who has too much of the world in them to prevent them from enjoying or embracing Jesus.  I don't see the conflict and I don't see how someone would have both 'problems' at the same time.  Maybe he's talking about Priscilla having too much Jesus in her to enjoy the world - hence she's dead to herself - although that would require actually thinking and believing that that is something Jesus actually wants.  Also if someone is enjoying and embracing the world I'm sure they can do that while feeling spiritual about the experience.  If David is saying that one can not be filled with Jesus while embracing the world than it's denying the "God so loved the world' statement. Also - to imply that one is both too full of Jesus and too full of the world to enjoy and embrace either than he clearly doesn't understand either.  To then say 'the problem is'  is saying that you can't embrace one while embracing the other - yet he is also saying that each are being embraced.  

• Love 5

I'm not thinking it.  I just think that when David or Priscilla want to 'compose' a 'thought', they write down "Jesus" five times, and then fill in the gaps with words plucked at random from a dictionary.

Hee, hee. This reminds me of a South Park episode where Cartman decides to form a Christian Rock band (that he names "Faith Plus One"). He took popular songs and replaced the word "baby" with "Jesus." Hilarious, because it WORKED (try it!). The kicker: the band was wildy successful. Hmmmmmmm...
  • Love 5

And of course, every Christian who has "too much of the world in them", has it because they want and welcome it.  They wouldn't happen to be stuck unwillingly with "too much of the world" dragging themselves away from spiritual pursuits, like say job stress from a job they don't want.

...Hey, maybe I'm onto something with the nonworking Duggars.

Good points although in the case of the Duggars it seems as if fame has become important in  their spirituality.  It's not that they have too much fame to be spiritual(as David would argue) but rather they have chosen to thread their fame into their fabric of religion.  

• Love 2

No matter how someone tries to make sense of it I still think that 'Winsome' and 'Dead Leaves', (as Mrs. Kisses so appropriately and humorously named them) are not making sense.  I don't see any philosophical argument supporting the idea of someone having too much Jesus in them to prevent them from enjoying or embracing the world.  While someone who has too much of the world in them to prevent them from enjoying or embracing Jesus.  I don't see the conflict and I don't see how someone would have both 'problems' at the same time.  Maybe he's talking about Priscilla having too much Jesus in her to enjoy the world - hence she's dead to herself - although that would require actually thinking and believing that that is something Jesus actually wants.  Also if someone is enjoying and embracing the world I'm sure they can do that while feeling spiritual about the experience.  If David is saying that one can not be filled with Jesus while embracing the world than it's denying the "God so loved the world' statement. Also - to imply that one is both too full of Jesus and too full of the world to enjoy and embrace either than he clearly doesn't understand either.  To then say 'the problem is'  is saying that you can't embrace one while embracing the other - yet he is also saying that each are being embraced.  

I never said it was logical. In fact, I said that I didn't believe it and that it doesn't seem right and logical to me. However, in their defense, they don't say it's logical. It's a matter of faith and it's beyond logic. It's one of the things they consider an essential paradox of their faith, such as Christ being wholly God and wholly man at the same time, the Trinity being three but a single one at the same time, and so on. This exact stuff is all over Christian writings. Here, for example -- http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/do-not-love-the-world

1 John 2:15–17 says,

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

Just because we don't think it's logical and we tend to base things on logic doesn't mean that they're stupid or unclear (in their own way) or are making stuff up out of whole cloth. They're speaking out of religious tradition with faith rooted in paradox, and in this statement David's just repeating -- and trying to reformulate in what I'm sure he thinks is a cool, intriguing, well-writing way -- a lot of stuff that's very commonplace in the religious tradition out of which he speaks. I don't think he's being some kind of a foggy-headed idiot here. I think he's speaking out of a tradition that embraces paradoxical koans rather than logic.

• Love 1

If David and Dead Leaves Priscilla are not capable of embracing and enjoying their spirituality (in their case Jesus) while at the same time embracing and enjoying the world than that is their problem.  Someone who is actually spiritually enlightened can enjoy both.  David and Priscilla clearly can't and they have been 'trained' to believe one can not be enjoyed or embraced with the other.  

• Love 5

I don't know. Seems to me much more likely that this is just his attempt at an aphorism spelling out the general human condition (for Christians).

All are sinners -- who have too much love for the world, cause for some reason that's what's said to make you a sinner (don't get that at all -- I think hate and negative emotions are the likely culprits in sin, but anyway) -- but all Christians also are striving after the Lord (which makes them turn away from the world -- personally, I don't get that either, because if God made the world I'd think we were supposed to love it, but anyway....).

In David's warped-by-a-lifetime-of-crazies mind, I would think, this is just a cool paradoxical statement of the paradoxical nature of Christian life: We're all constant, lost and worldly sinners but we all also love the Lord and strive toward him constantly. It's a lifetime of struggle! (which they kind of want, I guess, since the presence of the endless paradoxical struggle shows what strong believers they are?) I think he probably uses Twitter to polish up his aphorisms for his speaking engagements and so on.

Depends on what you think "sin" is, I suppose.  Which is to say - "if you define 'sin' as drinking and drugging, alcohol and cocaine both essentially being "fun drugs", then you are acting out of "love for worldly, man-made constructs."  I would agree with you wholly, if the sin was all stuff like "bearing false witness against your neighbor", which probably does come from a place of spite and hate, although I suppose one could argue that becoming an alcoholic stems from self-hate.  (Also, aside:  I'm pretty sure I've heard several sermons with statements like "you must be dead to the world (and its' many seductive sinful blandishments) but alive in Christ", which is probably what Prissy was fumbling dimly towards.)   Basically, it's "we Christians may be stuck here in this vale of tears, but we don't have to enjoy it", re-cast.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2

I don't even understand that.  Between Ben's ramblings and Wallers...I don't know. Then again, the Creationist Museum makes sense to them.  I must be missing something.

Sometimes when I read the blog posts, especially Derrick's...it just sounds like someone who is mentally ill is writing it...delusional. I get that vibe from some fundies, not all of them. 

I think that mainly has to do with the use odd use of "Him" and other pronouns  in reference to Jesus, and the combination with terrible writing, grammar, and misuse of words.

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 4

I never said it was logical. In fact, I said that I didn't believe it and that it doesn't seem right and logical to me. However, in their defense, they don't say it's logical. It's a matter of faith and it's beyond logic. It's one of the things they consider an essential paradox of their faith, such as Christ being wholly God and wholly man at the same time, the Trinity being three but a single one at the same time, and so on. This exact stuff is all over Christian writings. Here, for example -- http://www.desiringgod.org/messages/do-not-love-the-world

1 John 2:15–17 says,

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world passes away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.

Just because we don't think it's logical and we tend to base things on logic doesn't mean that they're stupid or unclear (in their own way) or are making stuff up out of whole cloth. They're speaking out of religious tradition with faith rooted in paradox, and in this statement David's just repeating -- and trying to reformulate in what I'm sure he thinks is a cool, intriguing, well-writing way -- a lot of stuff that's very commonplace in the religious tradition out of which he speaks. I don't think he's being some kind of a foggy-headed idiot here. I think he's speaking out of a tradition that embraces paradoxical koans rather than logic.

Just to clarify I wasn't replying to your post specifically I was generalizing about what David was saying.  Also although he may think he is getting his insight from the bible there are also many biblical verses that would actually contradict everything he is trying to say.  That may be better debated in the religion thread, but I am quite sure that David and Priscilla have been 'trained' to not  be discerning or thoughtful beyond what they have been 'trained' to believe, hence their comfort with nonsense.

Would also like to add that there are more things 'of the world' than lust and pride and if someone is unable to determine the good from the bad and they feel that all the world is bad than they are truly blind and will never make sense.

Edited by Defrauder
  • Love 5

I think the key is that "the world" is a code word. They're not talking about nature with its beautiful dead leaves, which they're allowed to enjoy because Jesus; they're talking about "worldly things" like material wealth, pleasures of the flesh, etc. which they're not allowed to enjoy because Satan. Their problem is that they can't just give in and fully enjoy their wealth and pleasures because they really want to be with Jesus, yet they can't love Jesus as fully as they feel they should because they're still attracted to the material and the sensual. So basically it's a guilt trip.

That's my take, anyway, as someone who has never been a Christian of any kind, but who is really good at deciphering codes.

Also, I can't believe I just wrote down the phrase "pleasures of the flesh."

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 18

Sometimes when I read the blog posts, especially Derrick's...it just sounds like someone who is mentally ill is writing it...delusional. I get that vibe from some fundies, not all of them.

I think that mainly has to do with the use odd use of "Him" and other pronouns in reference to Jesus, and the combination with terrible writing, grammar, and misuse of words.

David's blog tends to have long winded, oddly worded anecdotes about his past that makes me think he writes to reassure himself, like "stay the course, David. You're doing super!" I think deep down David thinks he's an aberration. Derick's blog is all about his grandiose plans that resulted from God speaking to him a few months back. He's a bit untethered.
  • Love 4

Occasionally I look at Erin and Alyssa's Instagram pages.  Alyssa posts pictures of her little family dressed up for church each Sunday.  I swear she has a different dress every week.  Her hubby must be making a decent living, or else she is queen of the clearance rack/resale shops.  

• Love 2

Greetings for Mom's by Priscilla and David.   Yes I feel guilty for posting this.  It's weird how everything is calm until David starts talking and then the wind kicks up.

http://davidlovespriscilla.com/2013/05/11/happy-mothers-day/

I would bet money that saleswoman was unconverted by the time they left the store, and the tears in her eyes where probably from frustration at having someone force their religion on her, while she was just trying to make a living.

• Love 7

I would bet money that saleswoman was unconverted by the time they left the store, and the tears in her eyes where probably from frustration at having someone force their religion on her, while she was just trying to make a living.

I know.  What's with David needing random strangers to be converted within 5 minutes?

I think the key is that "the world" is a code word. They're not talking about nature with its beautiful dead leaves, which they're allowed to enjoy because Jesus; they're talking about "worldly things" like material wealth, pleasures of the flesh, etc. which they're not allowed to enjoy because Satan. Their problem is that they can't just give in and fully enjoy their wealth and pleasures because they really want to be with Jesus, yet they can't love Jesus as fully as they feel they should because they're still attracted to the material and the sensual. So basically it's a guilt trip.

That's my take, anyway, as someone who has never been a Christian of any kind, but who is really good at deciphering codes.

Also, I can't believe I just wrote down the phrase "pleasures of the flesh."

I feel it's only fair that I should warn you that I will be reminding you from time to time that you wrote 'pleasures of the flesh'.

• Love 5

As Clemgo 3165 said, it's a zen koan for Christians. The language of religion is pretty much always paradoxical. And these guys model themselves on the King James, where parallelisms are a big stylistic thing.

There must be something wrong with me, because I don't really find the statement strange at all. I think it's just an attempt at a poetic casting of something pretty normal -- They're people but believers, so they're full of both worldly thoughts and feelings and the striving for Christ. (As I said, I personally don't really get why loving the world should be antithetical to loving God. But that's clearly a major tenet of their belief system.)

Well churchhoney I was trying to quote you but did not do it right, but yes I understood what David was saying, and agreed with it a little, but then I was in a " sort of fundy" church a few years ago. The people who go to church with him understand what he means. It was written for them not us.

• Love 1

I think that mainly has to do with the use odd use of "Him" and other pronouns  in reference to Jesus, and the combination with terrible writing, grammar, and misuse of words.

My friend who goes to a mega church used to write on her wall everyday about "Him" on her FB page. I find it seriously strange. Why can't they just say Jesus when they are referring to him?

• Love 2

And yet the scandals are from the devil. It would never occur to them that they are maybe not so pleasing to God.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. They are not Christians. Not in the technical definition of the word. They are opportunistic narcissists who will stop at nothing, including exploiting their own children, grandchildren and even children in other countries suffering dire need, for the almighty dollar. They harshly judge every single thing that God created. They are against: fossils, history, facts, science, their own bodies, their own sex drives, homosexuals, pork, women, any other human being who does not believe the exact same tripe they believe...but didn't God create all that stuff? Because it's God? And he knows what he's doing? They aren't Christians. They are the Duggars and they want your money.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 18

My friend who goes to a mega church used to write on her wall everyday about "Him" on her FB page. I find it seriously strange. Why can't they just say Jesus when they are referring to him?

Maybe it's because it's all about Jesus Christ being your personal savior?  -- and your main relationship, so you don't actually have to name him -- he's your "Him"? -- and also so important that he needs a capital letter for his pronoun, while others don't?

• Love 2