Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I also think the IBLP is international. It's not really for the public, like us, but for their followers, who likely know when it is (likely were even invited) but couldn't attend.

David looks like he's developing a pot belly in that photo, but I think it's really just a badly-fitting vest. And Priscilla must be wearing the ubiquitous Gothardite flip-flops, but with that floor-length skirt she looks like she's barefoot.

• Love 3

The matching fuchsia is because they are in the wedding party, right?

I mean- they didn't just choose to wear that, did they?

Lol, no. It was David's brother's wedding so I'm assuming he was a groomsman. He does look fabulous in fuchsia though.

• Love 2
(edited)

If the Gothard cult goes down in flames someday I can see TWFDW having a future in wedding planning. Prissy and TFDW's wedding was elegant and nice. He put it together himself. Jessa should have turned to him vs. spazzy Sierra.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 4

Lol, no. It was David's brother's wedding so I'm assuming he was a groomsman. He does look fabulous in fuchsia though.

Yes, they were both part of the wedding party. A friend of mine actually watched a good portion of it (!) and noted that there were 10 bridesmaids and four flower girls. So, yeah, one of THOSE wedding parties. Apparently, in a rare moment of levity, the pastor commented that he was the only person on the stage not related to someone else. LOL

• Love 2
(edited)

On a completely unrelated note (at least I think...): I once snarked on here about Erin Bates' boppy curls, and her instructional video. Who was that, that said she loved Erin's boppy thing and to leaver her alone? (JenC or JoanArc maybe?). So I've been out a couple different times lately and have seen girls sporting boppy curls!!! It's catching on! Erin is a trend setter!!! (Who knew???)

Spellcheck isn't fond of "boppy"

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 1

On a completely unrelated note (at least I think...): I once snarked on here about Erin Bates' boppy curls, and her instructional video. Who was that, that said she loved Erin's boppy thing and to leaver her alone? (JenC or JoanArc maybe?). So I've been out a couple different times lately and have seen girls sporting boppy curls!!! It's catching on! Erin is a trend setter!!! (Who knew???)

Spellcheck isn't fond of "boppy"

How dare anyone NOT love Erin and her boppy curls. Her hair is e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Aaaaah, haaaaa. It was you all along.

Yes, I confess! I love me some Erin. She reminds me of the 1970's----you know like the girls that used to be on Lawrence Welk.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 6
(edited)

Yes, I confess! I love me some Erin. She reminds me of the 1970's----you know like the girls that used to be on Lawrence Welk.

It's a bit much. It's Gibson Girl, plus dangling curls around her neck plus, plus DIY bleaching. It's like updo über alles.

I must admit, to me, Lawrence Welk means 'Kristen Wiig with doll hands'.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 3

I also think Nellie Olesen. But she obviously loves them, and I like that she has her own "look" in a world that tends to consider individuality a sin.

• Love 1
(edited)

If the Gothard cult goes down in flames someday I can see TWFDW having a future in wedding planning. Prissy and TFDW's wedding was elegant and nice. He put it together himself. Jessa should have turned to him vs. spazzy Sierra.

Considering the Kellers are not a wealthy family, they've put on some nice weddings. TFDW did a great job. The decorations, flowers, cake and attire were complimentary and cohesive. It came off as a more expensive wedding than it really was. Sierra is a joke.

Speaking of the Bateses, have you guys seen Alyssa's latest Instagram pic? She's wearing a spaghetti strap tank top and jeans! Scandalous!

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

The Kellers are part of a real church and it shows. They have real "church ladies" running their weddings and aren't just renting buildings are back drops to an event large enough to cram people into. Also, I think they tend to invite their world, but not use it for social networking purposes. (Social networking used in the old fashioned sense.). That's still a lot of people, but we are talking several hundred and not "thousands." That's a far more manageable scale. And because the guests are people you know and care about, you want them to remember a nice wedding and reception. Might be light refreshments and cake, but it's not just about the bride.

• Love 4
(edited)

Considering the Kellers are not a wealthy family, they've put on some nice weddings. TFDW did a great job. The decorations, flowers, cake and attire were complimentary and cohesive. It came off as a more expensive wedding than it really was. Sierra is a joke.

Speaking of the Bateses, have you guys seen Alyssa's latest Instagram pic? She's wearing a spaghetti strap tank top and jeans! Scandalous!

Alyssa actually caught heat from commenters on that post. My eyes couldn't roll back in my head far enough. How quickly they turn on their "friends." 

As for the two Keller weddings we've seen, they were both in the neighborhood of 300. I remember the number referenced during both the Smuganna and Waller wedding episodes. However, I am not sure that is the church the Kellers attend; they may well homechurch. It was said during the Smuganna wedding that that was their HOME church for the Keller prison ministry and had been for several years. They did not say they also attended it. There is a distinction to be made there. 

Edited by Sew Sumi

She looks cute in a wide strap, loose tank top - that's not spaghetti straps. It's almost like a sleeveless shirt vs a cut in tank, and her jeans cover more than the girl with pants (not that she's shameless or anything). They both look cute.

Those are two different girls wearing the same shirt. Reading the comments just now, I found out that they're sisters.

I literally thought i had gone insane for a minute! That threw me off more than the *gasp* jeans.

• Love 1

At Anna's wedding several people there said they had known and watched the Keller girls grow up in the church. If they don't attend, they are active in the church in a regular way that would be akin to attending.

I saw a picture of Alyssa with her husband. She had a black spaghetti strap top with another top underneath. It could have been, gasp, a bathing suit top.

I wonder too, what she is wearing in the pool with her daughter, in another pic. You can only see her arm and a partial profile of Alyssa's face.

At Anna's wedding several people there said they had known and watched the Keller girls grow up in the church. If they don't attend, they are active in the church in a regular way that would be akin to attending.

I don't remember this, and I've seen the special several times. I guess I'll have to watch it again for clarification. I do remember the church ladies speaking of Anna, but they didn't seem to know her very well. I'll check this out tomorrow and render a final verdict. 

It's been a year since I've seen the special, but I remember commenting on how well people knew the Kellers compared to how church people don't know the Duggars. So please report back, Sew Sumi!

So Alyssa's latest Instagram post is a pic of her and John posing with Starbucks cups. Conservatives are giving her shit in the comments because Starbucks is pro gay marriage. The girl can't win no matter what she does.

• Love 2

I think for anyone who didn't grow up "doing without" and really didn't enjoy it (and I don't think Alyssa and Jessa enjoyed it much) it's hard to explain the constant posing with name brand stuff. Especially if you were told growing up that NOT having this kind of stuff meant you were a better person and you are watching your parents just completely forget they ever said that as their own wealth and comfort increases and they purchase things for their younger children they once scolded you for "coveting."

And this isn't about Gothardism. It's about being poor in a world that tries to make that a virtue (not necessarily wrong) but then seems to forget that when circumstances change. I think that can do a real cognitive dissonance on some personalities - Alyssa and Jessa's in particular. They just can't seem to stop saying "but I have the good stuff NOW! Look!"

• Love 5

So Alyssa's latest Instagram post is a pic of her and John posing with Starbucks cups. Conservatives are giving her shit in the comments because Starbucks is pro gay marriage. The girl can't win no matter what she does.

At the same time there are liberals saying facetiously "How great to see you support gay marriage!"

At the same time there are liberals saying facetiously "How great to see you support gay marriage!"

Lol, I don't get why people are so critical of her. As far as I know Alyssa has never posted any hard line religious or political rants a la Ben and Jessa Seewald, so what gives?

• Love 2

I don't keep up with the Bates family other than what's posted here so I don't know if Alyssa is political or not, but honestly I don't care because sometimes I'd like a cup of coffee to just be a stinking cup of coffee. (I'm old & cranky - kids off my lawn, etc.) The rare times I get on SM I see family & friends from across the political spectrum post similar style pics all the time.

• Love 5

I don't keep up with the Bates family other than what's posted here so I don't know if Alyssa is political or not, but honestly I don't care because sometimes I'd like a cup of coffee to just be a stinking cup of coffee.

Could not agree more!

• Love 1

Alyssa certainly holds the beliefs of her parents, but since she doesn't spew them all over the internet like Benessa, I cut her slack. Heck, I even cut Jill slack for the same reason. Of course, the latter gets a bit heavy-handed with the religion at times, but Alyssa, and to a certain extent, Erin, remain fairly neutral. 

I don't mind the religion from Erin, though, because of what she had to endure to safely deliver her baby. Of course, she's going to lean on her faith; that's to be expected. As long as she doesn't beat me over the head with it, I'm good. Erin actually responds to people on Instagram, and she seems genuinely sweet. I see Alyssa as a little more stand-offish, which is fine as long as she doesn't wander into Jessa Seewald  bitch territory. 

• Love 2

Alyssa certainly holds the beliefs of her parents, but since she doesn't spew them all over the internet like Benessa, I cut her slack. Heck, I even cut Jill slack for the same reason. Of course, the latter gets a bit heavy-handed with the religion at times, but Alyssa, and to a certain extent, Erin, remain fairly neutral. 

I don't mind the religion from Erin, though, because of what she had to endure to safely deliver her baby. Of course, she's going to lean on her faith; that's to be expected. As long as she doesn't beat me over the head with it, I'm good. Erin actually responds to people on Instagram, and she seems genuinely sweet. I see Alyssa as a little more stand-offish, which is fine as long as she doesn't wander into Jessa Seewald  bitch territory. 

It's like the saying....https://www.pinterest.com/pin/61009769926172694/

• Love 7

So are Apple and Microsoft,,just to name a couple.

If I were Priscilla, I would be mortified to read this site and find that many think I have some sort of mental retardation. Mortified! What's sad is that I think she's actually performing this "keeping sweet" role, and it's making her look reeeally stupid. 

• Love 3