Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Blinds End And Battles Begin

• Start Topic

I haven't watched a season before, but am watching this year because I know one of the contestants. Does anyone know if tonight's Battles hour will feature all of the Coaches' teams, or only one, or what? Thanks!

Okay, is it me, or did Christina have some work done between the Blinds and the Battles? Either that, or she's toned down the make up. 

It's not you.  I said the same thing the other day in Christina's thread.  She definitely lost some weight, which was to be expected as she had her baby daughter a bit before the blinds, but to me it looks as if she's had something done to her eyes.  Her cheeks look a bit fuller but that could be accomplished with make-up; the eyes, not so much.

As to tonight's battles:  Just my opinion but Blake has lost his mind!  I would definitely have kept Joshua if I were him.  Now I have to root for Adam's team which does not make me happy.  I love Joshua; he's been my favorite since the first night.  

• Love 3
Just my opinion but Blake has lost his mind!  I would definitely have kept Joshua if I were him.

The same exact thing that I thought when he initially cut Craig Wayne Boyd. Hopefully, he realizes his error in the same way he did, then,  

That girl who sang Christina's song,"Impossible," didn't have the power and depth for it, but it wasn't bad. Christina looks like an older version of her Genie in a Bottle self--that's how she looks with light makeup, which she used to shun. The only work she may've done is a treatment of fillers when she debuted her weight loss in The Voice Season 5 press conference in that pink dress. Her cheeks had that characteristic puffiness. 

This was a boring episode. The talent was so overhyped. Can't wait to see the best of Pharrell's team (he has the best contenders I think) and some of Christina's. 

Edited by anonymiss

As to tonight's battles: Just my opinion but Blake has lost his mind! I would definitely have kept Joshua if I were him. Now I have to root for Adam's team which does not make me happy. I love Joshua; he's been my favorite since the first night.

I'm in total agreement. Joshua has something really unique that can't be learned. Brian has a nice voice, but he's too nondescript, imo. I think the choice had a lot to do with Blake trying to show that he won't always take the most country route.

I think Christina had -major- work done, not just a little lost weight. I think she's had a facelift, quite an aggressive one, maybe something with her nose as well beyond the change from the "nip and tuck". Perhaps it's just very aggressive botox, her face doesn't move normally when she smiles and at least that's temporary. Doesn't look bad, exactly, kind of like someone in a soap opera, just not a very natural look--and also, I didn't think she needed it so .. kinda sad she felt that she did.

Edited by Padma

Final team roster/cheat sheet for the Blinds:

Team Adam
Tonya Boyd-Cannon (3)
Blaze Johnson (2)
Deanna Johnson (4)
Michael Leier (2)
Bren’nae DeBarge (1)*
James McNeiece (1)*
Barry Minniefield (1)
Nicolette Maré (1)*
Lexi Dávila (2)
Josh Batstone (2)*
Jack Gregori (1)
Nathan Hermida (2)

Team Pharrell
Lowell Oakley (2)
Meghan Linsey (3)
Sawyer Fredericks (4)
Anthony Riley (4)
Mia Z (2)
Kimberly Nichole (2)
Travis Ewing (3)
Noelle Bybee (1)*
Ashley Morgan (2)
Briar Jonnee (2)
Paul Pfau (2)
Caitlin Caporale (2)

Team Christina
Rob Taylor (3)
Treeva Gibson (2)
Gabriel Wolfchild (3)
Joe Tolo (2)
Sonic (2)
Clinton Washington (1)*
India Carney (4)
Koryn Hawthorne (2)
Katelyn Read (1)*
Ameera Delandro (1)*
Jeremy Gaynor (4)
Vance Smith (2)

Team Blake
Sarah Potenza (4)
Cody Wickline (4)
Joshua Davis (2)
Brooke Adee (2)
Kelsie May (3)
Jacob Rummell (2)
Matt Snook (1)*
Bay Brooks (1)*
Brenna Yaeger (2)
Brian Johnson (2)
Corey Kent White (2)
Hannah Kirby (1)

Names in bold indicate the final additions to each team.  Numbers in parentheses indicate the number of chair turns.  An asterisk indicates that the contestant was montaged.

Too bad for Gaia Golden.  I thought she had a pretty good voice.

Will do the rosters for the Battle Rounds later.  Too tired right now.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

That girl who sang Christina's song,"Impossible," didn't have the power and depth for it, but it wasn't bad.

It wasn't bad on her own, but the duet with Christina made her sound like a kitten "mewing" (like Simon used to say). I suppose most girls would sound like kitty kitty mew mew next to Christina.

• Love 3

I think Christina had -major- work done, not just a little lost weight. I think she's had a facelift, quite an aggressive one, maybe something with her nose as well beyond the change from the "nip and tuck". Perhaps it's just very aggressive botox, her face doesn't move normally when she smiles and at least that's temporary. Doesn't look bad, exactly, kind of like someone in a soap opera, just not a very natural look--and also, I didn't think she needed it so .. kinda sad she felt that she did.

Christina is only 34. Who would give her a facelift? What's to lift?

I puzzled over all these people who say they "grew up" listening to Christina. She's only 34. I doubt they're referring to the Mickey Mouse Club years.

• Love 1

Well...let's start w/ the 5 additions to the teams.

Nathan Hermidia immediately becomes one of Adam's stronger contestants. Did anybody think for a second he was from a Sing Off Group? The last two editions have featured groups that were heavily Filipino-American and he looked like he could have fit right in. Adam's team is still the hardest to figure beyond Tonya who was a no brainer tonight. So many montaged contestants are going to get a moment to shine...

I think Catelyn could possibly be a contender for Pharrell, Paul not so much. But Pharrell's team has such a deep bench it wouldn't shock me if both were early boots. Xtina clearly would have eyes on a Catelyn steal in the battles or knockouts.

Christina's pickup feels like pure fodder to go up against the Army singer, Jeremy. In a vacuum his spot should have gone to Gaia from Hawaii.

Blake's last person is interesting, IMO I'd prefer her advancing to the bespectacled one...Sarah. I doubt that will happen. Unless (and this gets a little knollish) he has the same feeling he had by pairing Brian and Joshua up together where cutting loose Sarah will lead to her being stolen since she had a 4 chair audition. I almost wonder if he and Adam had a kind of handshake agreement (because they fought so hard for each of them during the blinds) that Brian and Joshua were going to be the battle pair (and as an added bonus, they both were great together, but Joshua was better IMO)....Adam always seemed like a safe and natural place for the loser of this particular battle to land.

Did anyone else find the song choice a bit odd for the massive age gap between Ashley and Mia? Did it play to both their strengths...absolutely. But what kind of guy is a 27 year old and a 15/16 year singing about not taking away? a 21 year old summer camp counselor where Ashley is the camp director and Mia is one of the campers? Just a bit odd.....but an awesome battle, and Ashley didn't deserve to go home after that. I could see her advancing a round w/ Xtina or possibly getting stolen a 2nd time by Blake.

Thought the mentors were pretty good, Ellie Goulding had a little less to say than the other two but even she still made a couple good helpful points. Not so sure how the Jonas brother will do for Xtina. At least he's got a low bar to clear in his own family.....his brother Joe (IIRC)was on an early season of American Idol and might have been the most useless guest judge in the history of guest judges.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1

i feel like a pollyana not being snarky about christina but i thought she looked gorgeous tonight. like a real woman and not a Sex Doll. i love her hair down. the blue of that jacket was gorgeous on her and with her coloring. she's probably had work -- and she was smart enough to get good work done. they all have work done. and they are starting earlier and earlier so they don't look so radically different having a total re-do later in life.

i'm such a sucker for this show. i read what you guys say and i think, oh yes, that did suck or it was all boring, etc. but while i'm watching, i'm so moved. i love that these are people of different ages and sizes. i love the judges' banter. i love people who deserve it getting to hear wonderful things about themselves.

i'm too old to remember the names but i was thrilled for the 2 who got stolen. makes me cry. i know, i know...

• Love 8

I puzzled over all these people who say they "grew up" listening to Christina. She's only 34. I doubt they're referring to the Mickey Mouse Club years.

well - it was 16 years ago when Genie in a Bottle became a hit.  I'm not sure who is saying they grew up listening to her (how old they are? ) - but it is possible

Edited by tobysmom
  • Love 2

I was rooting for Joshua since his audition, but I will say that he and Brian sounded so good together that I think they should pair up as a duo and record a few songs. That version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" was just sublime.

• Love 6

I Liked the Blake's contestant who sang The Letter a lot. While I do like Sarah, she and Homeschool Hat Boy (whom I also like) have been rammed down our throat by the editors more than any other contestants via editing and online clips. To the point where I'm starting to get a little sick of her. It would be nice to see both women survive their battle as there tends to be so little rock music on this show.

I like Christina's attitude this season. It a no-nonsense, but still fun. The boys, especially Adam and Blake, are too focused on beating each other instead of genuinely fighting for a contestant. While, it might have been a little rude to say that Ashley had a stronger voice than Mia, it was honest and probably what won her the steal.

• Love 4

i'm such a sucker for this show. i read what you guys say and i think, oh yes, that did suck or it was all boring, etc. but while i'm watching, i'm so moved. i love that these are people of different ages and sizes. i love the judges' banter. i love people who deserve it getting to hear wonderful things about themselves.

It's not just you. I teared up when that girl sang Christina's song with her - that must have been such a huge deal for her! And I teared up at the steals. And I full on bawled when Megan Trainor did. She was so genuinely moved by the duet/song, it moved me as well. So you're not the only sucker here. 

I never appreciate Christina, until she sings while giving pointers to one of her contestants. And then I think, "Why is anyone else bothering?"

I like Christina's attitude this season. It a no-nonsense, but still fun. The boys, especially Adam and Blake, are too focused on beating each other instead of genuinely fighting for a contestant. While, it might have been a little rude to say that Ashley had a stronger voice than Mia, it was honest and probably what won her the steal.

Yah, I am totally digging on her this season too. Yes, she has the best voice, and I think she's giving the right tips to people. And I really love her no-BS attitude. I like that she's often picking a winner in the battles, I don't think of it as rude at all.  It's a cop out to me when the other coaches won't choose, and yes, that's totally how she won that steal of Ashley. (Also, I think she was right. Ashley seems miles ahead of Mia, and I can't wait to see what Christina does for/with her). 

• Love 6

Current rosters/cheat sheet for the Battle Rounds:

Team Adam
Tonya Boyd-Cannon (defeated James McNeiece)

Joshua Davis (stolen from Team Blake)

(Still Waiting)
Blaze Johnson

Deanna Johnson

Michael Leier
Bren’nae DeBarge
Barry Minniefield
Nicolette Maré
Lexi Dávila
Josh Batstone
Jack Gregori

Nathan Hermida

Team Pharrell

Mia Z (defeated Ashley Morgan)

(Still Waiting)

Lowell Oakley
Meghan Linsey
Sawyer Fredericks
Anthony Riley
Kimberly Nichole
Travis Ewing
Noelle Bybee
Briar Jonnee
Paul Pfau
Caitlin Caporale

Team Christina

Ashley Morgan (stolen from Team Pharrell)

(Still Waiting)
Rob Taylor
Treeva Gibson
Gabriel Wolfchild
Joe Tolo
Sonic
Clinton Washington
India Carney
Koryn Hawthorne
Katelyn Read
Ameera Delandro
Jeremy Gaynor
Vance Smith

Team Blake

Brian Johnson

(Still Waiting)
Sarah Potenza

Cody Wickline
Brooke Adee
Kelsie May
Jacob Rummell
Matt Snook
Bay Brooks
Brenna Yaeger
Corey Kent White
Hannah Kirby

Names in bold indicate those who have either freshly won and stayed on their teams, or been freshly stolen by another coach.  An asterisk indicates that the contestant was montaged.

• Love 3

I'm only a year younger than Xtina, so while I would love to believe she is too young for it to make sense when anyone claims they grew up listening to her, I never question it.  She was hugely famous when I was in high school, so I know all of her tween fans at that time are now mid-to-late 20s... 

Also, I was really into the Mickey Mouse Club (the MMC!) and Christina was really incredible... I mean, I agree that it's doubtful anyone is ever referring to that, but I guess some other 30-somethings who were indoor kids with the Disney Channel (you had to beg your parents to pay extra for it back then!) might be.

• Love 1

I grew up listening to Christina, I was 8 when "Genie in a bottle" came out. Her album was actually one of the first albums I bought.  Christina was big in the 90s-00s so it's very possible that many of the younger contestants grew up listening to her. Come to think of it, the cutoff age for the Voice is 15/16.  So some of the contestants were born around the same time her debut album was released.  She looked fantastic yesterday btw, giving me some old-school vibes. 

Edited by DammitJanet
  • Love 1
I'm really enjoying the hell out of this season. The coaches seem to all be happy and excited.

Same here.  There seem to be good positive feelings, all around.  No one is on edge.  Even the contestants are chill.  It is so nice not to be clobbered over the head with peoples' desperation.

I enjoyed all the battles.  It doesn't surprise me that much that Blake chose Brian.  He knew Joshua would be stolen (and rightly so).  Keeping Brian seems to be completely in Blake's character.  I also agreed with Pharrell ... Mia was more interesting that Ashley by a lot (to me).

Adam came back with a vengeance tonight.  His last pick contestant (Nathan, who sings karaoke at Filipino parties) was super talented and charming.  Am looking forward to seeing more of him.  

• Love 1

Though I'm not sure I liked the way they lumped in the end of the blinds with the beginning of the battles, I don't think this episode was boring.

In the first half we actually got a potential contender in Caitlin.  Sure she couldn't match Christina's vocal power when they sang together (who can?), but the original version of that song featured Alicia Keys, and Caitlin did a more than credible job of matching Alicia's part.  Any contestant who does that should be considered a strong candidate on a show like this one.

Nathan could also go far and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who found something intriguing in Hannah's voice.

I thought all three battles were pretty good. I'd even go so far as to say that the first battle was as good as any of the battles from last season, with the possible exception of Luke Wade vs. Griffin doing Maybe I'm Amazed. I personally would probably have also chosen Mia, because there is something really unique about her voice and the way she uses it.  But I can also fully understand why all three of the other coaches tried to steal Ashley. Not only were her vocals next to perfect, but she did show quite a bit of personality on stage (or at least a big improvement over her blind audition).

As for the advisers, surprisingly it was Meghan Trainer who may have given the most valuable advice in this episode.  I could almost go so far as to say it was her suggestions that turned what could have been a very boring performance into something that was emotionally touching.  Joshua might even owe his steal to this, because I was not all that impressed with his blind audition.  But the arrangement they came up with really did show off the best part of his voice, to the point where I might have even picked him over Brian.

Edited by viajero

I was so excited for to hear Joshua. I love the rasp but I was in the kitchen for their battle and found myself liking Brian voice more. Thinking that after a few songs I am going to be so bored hearing Joshua sing the same over and over again. I hope it doesn't happen but it was what popped into my head at the end of their battle.

I must admit the voice is not as a must-watch TV like it used to. But it's still a good show at least for me. I like the good vibe, fun interactions from coaches, the comments were not too over praised. hope it holds up as the show continues.

I liked the last girl on Blake's team. Want to see more of her.

• Love 1

I must admit the voice is not as a must-watch TV like it used to. But it's still a good show at least for me. I like the good vibe, fun interactions from coaches, the comments were not too over praised. hope it holds up as the show continues.

I enjoy the blind auditions.  I find myself much more interested in the banter between the judges than the singers!

• Love 1

Putting the blinds and battles in the same episode felt weird.  Like these were probably meant to be separate episodes and they put them together due to TV scheduling needs.  

Anyway, for the blinds, I wasn't crazy about any of them.  Surprised that Adam's team actually filled up first given all his 1-chair turns in previous episodes.

For the three battles, I thought all 6 contestants gave strong performances. But Mia does seem kind of one-dimensional with her affectation while Ashley doesn't seem remarkable enough to warrant a 3-chair steal. I preferred the only person to get sent home, James McNeiece, over these two women.  For the Joshua steal, I cracked up on Adam rushing through his comments so that the other coaches wouldn't also push their buttons.  Adam must have lost out on a bunch of steals prior to that.

She's been around since she was 17..that's 17 years. 

Christina's been one of my favorite singers since I was 10..I'm 26 now..I'd say I grew up listening to her. 

That was Hannah Kirby, who was incredible in her battle in Tuesday night's episode.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2

The thing that struck me was when Blake said that he wanted Brian and Joshua to perform acoustically so that the other three judges could really hear what they could do. There really is no doubt that Blake wants every singer to have the most success they can possibly have both on and off the show.

Edited by NoNeinNyet
  • Love 3

I thought Christina looked like someone in a Shakira costume.  

I can't see Ellie Goulding without picturing her cheating on Ed Sheeran with Niall from 1D, inspiring Sheeran's hit "Don't".