Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

The Nadal Thiem match was insane, nobody could get the upper hand.

Rafa better improve that serve before he meets Del Potro, though I have to think as much as Del Potro’s BH is improving even through this tournament it won’t match Thiems redline howitzer BH shots.  Some of his shots are crazy...

• Love 1

As soon as the bagel set finished I thought "shit, Thiem's gonna want to have saved a couple of those breaks in the the next two sets". Other than when Nadal is playing visibly injured, I knew that was too bizarre to last. I agree Thiem played better basically the entire match, looked better. And yet...I'm somehow not surprised Nadal somehow pulled it off. I would've preferred Thiem get it, but I'm not surprised.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

All these ads are making me HATE Serena AND Lin-Manuel Miranda.  Not cool, ads!

I thought I couldn't hate an ad more than that stupid Aussie Open, "Let me watch the sea-rain falling..." one that they've run to death for the past 2 years.  I would be wrong.

• Love 4

The most uncomfortable though were the American Express ones that ran asking where’s Andy Roddicks mojo the year he got upset in the first round....

Yeah, those ads were ubiquitous.  That was very unfortunate.  Also kind of funny.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wanted to throat punch those hipster assholes in the luxury box who were making noise right before critical points. I noticed they shut up once that security guard entered the box and gave them that death stare.

I don't know how Rafa won either. I thought Thiem played the better match. 

Nothing against Nadal, but my lovable gentle giant Del Potro has had way too many five set heartbreakers against the top players. I'm rooting for him to go all the way and win another title. 

On the women's side I'd be happy to see Keys or Osaka take the trophy. I don't love or hate Serena one way or the other, but I've never found her easy to root for and I'm tired of hearing about her. 

Yes to everything.

3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

All these ads are making me HATE Serena AND Lin-Manuel Miranda.  Not cool, ads!

Did y'all know that Serena had a baby?

• Love 5

It’s funny to hear McEnroe say that he wanted to see the Federer/Djokovic quarter because if I am remembering correctly Roger didn’t look that good against Novak in Cincinnati, so why would this be any different?

I used to loathe Serena and found her at her grossest against the line judge at the US Open those many years ago, but for some reason, I have done a complete 180.  Now if she ever does that again I'll probably change my mind, but for now, I am all in on her.  Also, I love her relationship with her hubby.

• Love 4

I don't even know what this "playing for all the mothers" bullcrap even means.  Is she saying that without her as some kind of role model that mothers wouldn't be able to accomplish whatever it is they want to do?  Do all the mothers jump up and down when she's on the court or when they see that ad and say "Yeah, I can do it 'cause Serena does!"  I don't think so.   

• Love 3
4 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

Yeah-- all the'Serena is playing for all mothers' would be great-- if Kim Clijsters hadn't done the Exact. Same. Thing. less than ten years ago as an unseeded player!

Not to mention all the Olympic athletes and WNBA players who have been competing as mothers for years prior to Serena. Kerri Walsh Jennings was pregnant when she won her third straight Olympic gold medal for beach volleyball at the London games in 2012.

I get that the whole thing is just a marketing gimmick, but it's still grating nonetheless.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, sacrebleu said:

Yeah-- all the'Serena is playing for all mothers' would be great-- if Kim Clijsters hadn't done the Exact. Same. Thing. less than ten years ago as an unseeded player!

This exactly. I like Serena just fine (would never call myself a fan though) and I'm happy for her with her baby and husband. But it's really starting to reach grating levels with all the talk of "doing it for all the moms", etc. She's becoming that cliche of the woman who has a child and acts like she's the first woman to have had a baby. I get that she went through some really tough complications after giving birth and so her being back, competing well is awesome.

And if that alone were the focus, it'd be one thing, but all the "playing for all the moms out there" like no woman has competed after giving birth before she did it, is just a bit tired and over the top at this point. Especially because as you said, Clijsters did it. Kim won three of her four Grand Slam titles after she became a mom. I need Serena to just get back to her tennis and quit with all the mommy competing talk. 

Switching gears, admittedly I barely watched much of Djokovic/Millman's match last night because I had a feeling how that was going to go. So pray tell, what the hell was with that over the top reaction by Djokovic in the end?

And this is exactly why people always comment on Novak's seeming so needy and always wanting to be liked. Like dude, you faced a guy no one was expecting to beat you, who yes upset Federer but that's also partly because Federer played one of the worse matches of his life. And, Djokovic won in straight sets. Dude acted like he'd just survived some epic battle. Like not even Rafa was that over the top after his marathon match with Thiem. Admittedly that's probably because he was too tired but still. Novak is just so unnecessarily extra at times. 

And on another note, seems like Kachanov might be getting a good little fanbase as a number of big name entertainment sites have picked up the comparisons that's been mentioned before that he looks like Liam Hemsworth, So they've been posting and writing about him and yeah I'm seeing a few thirsty reactions.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Switching gears, admittedly I barely watched much of Djokovic/Millman's match last night because I had a feeling how that was going to go. So pray tell, what the hell was with that over the top reaction by Djokovic in the end?

How was it over the top? He was excited to be in the semis of an Open, I hope he never loses that joy for the sport. He then proceeded to give a very classy interview about Millman. I really don't see what the issue is but then I have never understood the dislike of Novak.

26 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

Have I mentioned that I love Naomi Osaka?

She's great isn't she? One set up and a break in the second.  I like Keys but think an Osaka - Williams final could be very interesting.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, cesstar said:

How was it over the top? He was excited to be in the semis of an Open, I hope he never loses that joy for the sport. He then proceeded to give a very classy interview about Millman. I really don't see what the issue is but then I have never understood the dislike of Novak.

First, I don't dislike Djokovic. Sure he's irritated me at times in the past and I'm honest enough to admit that I hated when he had a winning streak against Rafa for awhile because Rafa is my favorite player. But I've long gotten over that. I think Novak seems a nice enough person and I never question how talented of a player he is. 

And as I said, I didn't watch the match. So it may have been more competitive than the scoreline showed. It's just in my opinion, I found his reaction a bit dramatic considering, based on the score, it didn't seem like the match was that close and he was ever in danger of losing. There was the roaring, fist pumping in the air, dramatic faces, etc. There was even a shot of Jelena laughing at what I felt was his over the top reaction. And maybe it's just that he's so glad to be back in the semifinals, I don't know. 

Like I said, it's just for me, it seemed a bit extra for what was a pretty straight sets victory over a guy no one expected him to lose to anyway. And I never implied he was disrespectful to Millman so I don't doubt his post-match comments about Millman were classy. Also, just so we're clear, it's not like I was annoyed or anything by Novak's reaction. I just thought it was extra and more than anything just rolled my eyes over it. That's all

eta: Should have put some money down on this one. Totally called Osaka beating Keys.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I will say this about Serena, and yes "representing all the mothers, " is  a bit annoying.

I don't think people realize how difficult it is what she's done within a year of giving birth.   She was nearly 36 when she got pregnant, a fairly later in life pregnancy.   There are reasons whey they suggest that a woman get  pregnant in her twenties, especially the first time for  it to go much better.   For comparison  Kim Clijsters had a child at 24 and won the USO a year and a half latter,  Evonne Goolagong had her child at age 26 and won Wimbledon 3 years later.   Margaret Court had her child close to 29 and won the 
AO  about a year later.   Ole Margaret still played some tour events after her third child...

So Serena making the Wimbledon final 10 months after giving birth and on reaching her second Majors final before the baby turns a year is pretty impressive.  Did we mention she's nearly 37 and doing this in an individual sport with someone who is the highest profile female sports persona in the world ?  Talk about doing all this under a media microscope.

There were quite a few tennis pundits/experts, including some who helped Kim get back into competitive shape who expressed deep reservations if Serena would ever be able to get back considering the strenuous hard work and "self discipline" it would take.  One can certainly read between the lines. Why would she push herself physically, what motivation at this point in her career could she possibly have?    They also said at her age she wouldn't have the same resiliency and the wear and tear of having played tennis for the last 20 plus years as a pro would work against her.

So I can certainly see how Serena would feel pretty emotional about her comeback, win or lose Saturday, she's pretty much already won.

It's ironic  but all these strange and unexpected "breaks" in her tennis life have somehow made Serena the champion with most longevity in the Open Era.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 15

This is why I said if the focus was more so on the physical aspect and struggle of what she's accomplished, it would be one thing. Because yes, it is amazing that less than a year after she couldn't even walk to her mailbox from all the complications she suffered after birth, she was in the Wimbledon final. That I have no issue with. But it's all the talk of her mommy guilt and balancing being a mom and competing and representing for moms by essentially being back at work, etc.

That I think is a bit much because yeah, she's not the first woman to have a baby and have to balance motherhood and a career. And not to mention, Serena's been back now on tour for almost a year. So we've been hearing and reading these sound bites for just as long. It's just a little tedious now. Now admittedly I am a person who never wanted children and has no maternal instincts/desire, so I may be a bit more judgey on this than others. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I feel for Serena and what she’s been through, but I do get my hackles up when she talks about how difficult it is as a working mom, because while the emotions can never be quantified because every mother is different, the rest of her situation is just a tad different.

She and Alexis probably have a team of people helping them.  There is no danger of not having someone to watch Olympia while they are both working, which for non-superstar mothers, can be a fear every day.

So physically and emotionally, I get it, but otherwise it’s not as easy to relate to her.

That said, I'm still gonna root for her on Saturday, heh.

Also, I wish Rafa/DelPo was the final.

• Love 3

And now there's yet another weird ad that Serena's in where she's some kind of queen surrounded by other women and they're all dressed in pink?  What is this crap? 

Also, I'm sick of seeing Lin Manuel Miranda.  

12 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

I will say this about Serena, and yes "representing all the mothers, " is  a bit annoying.

I don't think people realize how difficult it is what she's done within a year of giving birth.   She was nearly 36 when she got pregnant, a fairly later in life pregnancy.   There are reasons whey they suggest that a woman get  pregnant in her twenties, especially the first time for  it to go much better.   For comparison  Kim Clijsters had a child at 24 and won the USO a year and a half latter,  Evonne Goolagong had her child at age 26 and won Wimbledon 3 years later.   Margaret Court had her child close to 29 and won the 
AO  about a year later.   Ole Margaret still played some tour events after her third child...

So Serena making the Wimbledon final 10 months after giving birth and on reaching her second Majors final before the baby turns a year is pretty impressive.  Did we mention she's nearly 37 and doing this in an individual sport with someone who is the highest profile female sports persona in the world ?  Talk about doing all this under a media microscope.

There were quite a few tennis pundits/experts, including some who helped Kim get back into competitive shape who expressed deep reservations if Serena would ever be able to get back considering the strenuous hard work and "self discipline" it would take.  One can certainly read between the lines. Why would she push herself physically, what motivation at this point in her career could she possibly have?    They also said at her age she wouldn't have the same resiliency and the wear and tear of having played tennis for the last 20 plus years as a pro would work against her.

So I can certainly see how Serena would feel pretty emotional about her comeback, win or lose Saturday, she's pretty much already won.

It's ironic  but all these strange and unexpected "breaks" in her tennis life have somehow made Serena the champion with most longevity in the Open Era.

The childbirth experience was rough for Serena.  I think that by now we've all gotten that message.  The point is that now, it's time to move on from her experience.  

The Serena commercial isn't the favorite thing I've ever seen but I'll take that all day every day over the Roger Rolex commercial.

At least Serena did give birth and had to recover from some pretty significant complications.

Roger, dude, you didn't win those matches for the game you did do it for yourself personally.

No shame in that but come on.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

The childbirth experience was rough for Serena.  I think that by now we've all gotten that message.  The point is that now, it's time to move on from her experience.  

My takeaway from this is that if it was rough for super-fit and super-rich Serena Williams, then we can only imagine what less privileged black women go through. So no, until something concrete is being done about this, IMO we're not even close to ready to "move on" from this story.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, ursula said:

So no, until something concrete is being done about this, IMO we're not even close to ready to "move on" from this story.

What is this "this" of which you speak?  "This," to me, is about tennis, which is why I'm on this particular forum.   If the "this" is about women and childbirth, health, economics, lifestyle (no matter what the race or ethnicity of the woman, by the way), then that's a whole different subject for a whole different forum.   

• Love 2
14 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

And as I said, I didn't watch the match. So it may have been more competitive than the scoreline showed.

I think it was. The only data point I can give is that it was only three sets, but it was three minutes longer than one of his four-set matches with a tiebreak.

15 hours ago, cesstar said:

16 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Have I mentioned that I love Naomi Osaka?

She's great isn't she? One set up and a break in the second.  I like Keys but think an Osaka - Williams final could be very interesting.

She really is the cutest.  And she played a flawless match against Keys.  I hope she doesn't get overwhelmed by the moment against Serena.  If she plays well and keeps her nerves in check, Serena will have her hands full.  

1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

... ... Don't call it a comeback. giggle.gif

Ima fight you! 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Well that sucked. Now I really wish Thiem had won. Don't know if I've ever seen a Delpo/Dj match. I missed the injury time out, what was it for?

Didn't see it but my guess, probably his knees. He had one taped when the match started but then he took the tape off, so who knows. Yeah that's why I didn't have high hopes for Rafa coming into this semi-finals with these three straight marathon matches. It's a pity because he and Del Potro have had some great battles and it would have been nice for the crowd to have gotten a competitive semifinal match. Happy for Juan Martin though. Well deserved.

Yes, it was Rafa's knee. He took a medical timeout to have it taped during the first set changeover, and he was wincing as the guy was working on it. I had a feeling it was all going to end badly because even near the end of the first set, Rafa had his grim business face on. I know he is generally pretty business-like, but there is a difference when something is wrong. It's a shame all around, but I am not at all unhappy that DelPo is through, and he deserved it no less because it was through retirement.

• Love 3

Beautiful flower bouquets for the women's final.

Osaka is up 5-1 in the first set. Very poised & showing No Fear.

Serena looks like she's sleep walking & her serve is failing her. There are a gajillion celebrities in her box---Kelly Rowland, Lala Anthony, Vanessa Williams--- usually a bad omen in big matches. Matter of fact, Serena does better in tough matches when I don't watch... I may need to change the channel.

I wouldn't want celebrities in my box either. I know they're Serena's friends, but I'd think it would create added pressure to perform because certain people are watching.

As far as the coaching violation, I don't think Serena's a cheater, but Patrick was totally telling her to come in to net, so the umpire wasn't out of line for issuing the warning.

It'll be interesting to see if Osaka can hold her nerve. The crowd is pro-Serena so it could be tough.

Oh, Lord here we go....

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1

Okay, after being assessed a point penalty (for the racket smash violation and the coaching violation) Serena yells at the chair ump that he needs to issue an announcement the she doesn't cheat because "she had a daughter and I do what's right for her!"

Did you all hear Serena had a baby? She's been a little low key about it.

I'm about done with Serena as the Divine Maternal.. she really needs to give it a rest.

• Love 9

This match is a hot mess.  Serena is all over the place but kudos to Naomi for keeping herself focused.  WTF!  A game penalty!  Shades of 2009.  Yikes!

Edited by QueerGirrl
Got the year of crazy wrong!
  • Love 3

This could get ugly.  Admittedly, I have seen much more blatant coaching with no penalties.

I was explaining the code violations to my daughter and had to describe the last point penalty I remember.  Also at the US Open, also a Serena match, also an attempt for a woman to win a major after returning from childbirth.  

• Love 1

What the hell, Serena. How embarrassing to throw a temper tantrum at the Finals. Your daughter is one and has no idea what the hell you are doing or cheating, but she may notice you throwing a shit fit. Good for Naomi for hanging in there,

Edited by twoods
  • Love 9

I could imagine there is never going to be a trophy presentation as uncomfortable as this one.  Tom Rinaldi is like “cut the shit, fuckers.”

In all places to have this craziness happen, New York would be last on the list.

• Love 3