Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Speaking of tennis wardrobes:

Venus is killing me with this spagehtti strapped top that she's wearing again.  She had it on the other day and changed it after she lost the 2nd set and I was hoping we'd seen the last of it.  But nope, here it is again today.  There's no support in it---no flattering at all.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Speaking of tennis wardrobe's:

Venus is killing me with this spagehtti strapped top that she's wearing again.  She had it on the other day and changed it after she lost the 2nd set and I was hoping we'd seen the last of it.  But nope, here it is again today.  There's no support in it---no flattering at all.

When I first saw her walk out in that thing and her boobs were falling out of the dress, I thought "don't they do any sort of test runs in this stuff?". There's no way you can play tennis in a dress with such a lack of support. 

I will say, most of the outfits I've seen have been hideous. The summer season certainly isn't a win for Nike and Adidas designers.

• Love 3

The summer season certainly isn't a win for Nike and Adidas designers.

I've been appreciating the elegant simplicity of the UNIGLO togs for Roger.  A lot of the Nike kits he's had in recent years (most notably the absurdly fug 2017 Oz Open outfit) have been awful.  Nike's really gone off the rails.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Serena's wearing some kind of lavender tutu ballerina outfit.  On some level I guess I can appreciate the fact that she just doesn't give a fuck.

It's the same tutu-dress she wore in the first round, but in the first round it was black. I'm assuming she'll be wearing that outfit the whole tournament, in a variety of different colors.

10 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

It's the same tutu-dress she wore in the first round, but in the first round it was black. I'm assuming she'll be wearing that outfit the whole tournament, in a variety of different colors.

Yeah I know it's the same outfit, I saw the black one, too.

Global warming is taking its toll on the tennis! I don't enjoy watching players suffer or vomit or just not be able to play nearly their best. 

Edited by TVbitch
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Harry24 said:

I've been appreciating the elegant simplicity of the UNIGLO togs for Roger.  A lot of the Nike kits he's had in recent years (most notably the absurdly fug 2017 Oz Open outfit) have been awful.  Nike's really gone off the rails.

Elegant simplicity??!!!??? His USO costume is neither elegant nor simple, it's downright fugly. He looks like a country fair lollipop

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Global warming is taking it's toll on the tennis! I don't enjoy watching players suffer or vomit or just not be able to play nearly their best. 

I agree. The matches have been crap. Usually the top seeds have lopsided victories the first week of the tournament, but the night sessions have been like watching paint dry. Hopefully things start to pick up.

Screenshot_20180830-020102.thumb.jpg.99b416b7df562b8047c705affee6fe67.jpg

Sloane Stephens has my favorite outfit at the U.S. Open. The color looks great on her. Although, there's another player, a young American I think, wearing pretty much the same dress. Completely different complexion, but it looks good on her, too.

Serena's tutu dress just looks too hot with that 1 long sleeve in the extreme heat.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I will say, most of the outfits I've seen have been hideous. The summer season certainly isn't a win for Nike and Adidas designers.

Co-sign this. I agree with the poster above that Sloane looks nice and the outfit Halep wore, for all of one match, looks okay. But yeah, none of the top seeds are wowing. That tutu dress looks ridiculous. I like Serena but no. Rafa's outfit is hideous. And Federer looks okay but the red shoes and socks were taking things a bit too far. 

• Love 2

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, so I will - I was so sorry to see David Ferrer's Grand Slam career end here, and the way it did. He has always been one of my very favorite players, and a testament to what can be done with some talent, a whole lot of work, and very little complaining. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Etta Place said:

I don't think anyone has mentioned it, so I will - I was so sorry to see David Ferrer's Grand Slam career end here, and the way it did. He has always been one of my very favorite players, and a testament to what can be done with some talent, a whole lot of work, and very little complaining. 

Yes, I will miss The Beast playing in the Grand Slams.  He's been one of my favorite players, too.

• Love 1

Um. Did anyone watch the Kyrgios match today? What is going on with the chair umpires this year? Why are they being so extra?

First, that one umpire sanctioned Alizé for *gasp* showing her sports bra for 2 seconds; now this dude gets out of his chair to give Nick a pep talk when he's down a set & 0-3? 

The Real Chair Umpires of the U.S. Open. All that's missing is the pinot gris.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Serena's wearing some kind of lavender tutu ballerina outfit.  On some level I guess I can appreciate the fact that she just doesn't give a fuck.

The Disney Store was out of her size so she improvised.  Cinderella indeed.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

If I have to see or hear that Serena running through the marketplace commercial one more time, my ears are gonna bleed. Don’t they have more of a variety of ads to air? It seems like it’s on every blasted minute! Overkill! 

It does feel like the same four sponsors keep running one piece of creative over and over. Emirates and IBM for example, use their non-tennis themed ads a lot. At least Chase might have heard you - I've noticed that they've started swapping out placements of Serena's Way for a new take on LL Cool J's  Mama Said Knock You Out.  In the meantime, Nike seems to have run their kid Serena spot everywhere the last couple of days.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I can't believe Sharapova's on Ashe tonight. She's so much of a non-factor in tennis now, I almost forgot she's still on tour. 

They keep trying to make her happen, don't they?  She barely squeaked by 40 yr old Patty Schnyder the other night so I hope she's still a mess tonight.

2 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

First, that one umpire sanctioned Alizé for *gasp* showing her sports bra for 2 seconds; now this dude gets out of his chair to give Nick a pep talk when he's down a set & 0-3? 

I still can't believe this happened.  If that petulant asshole wanted to throw his match, that's on him.  And John McEnroe had the nerve to defend the ump!  He knows full well he would've stroked out if an ump had done the same for one of his opponents.  I hope Fed runs Kyrgios off the court in straight sets.

And I see that other headcase Monfils just retired.  Ridiculous.

ETA:  So I didn't realize Monfils "claimed" a wrist injury.  My use of quotes is deliberate as I'm skeptical.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
  • Love 6

That's too bad about Monfils.  Although I miss the wild and crazy dreadlocked Monfils of his youth, I kind of like that he's grown up and gotten a haircut now.  We all have to grow up sometime, lol. 

I'm no fan of Djokovic but I want Sandgren to get a royal beatdown.

• Love 1

I like Kyrgios, generally speaking (*ducking things thrown at me*), but it is clear that the pep talk never should have happened. Can you imagine if someone were playing Djokovic when he gets into his head and is just falling apart and the chair came down to shore him up? If someone is going on tilt, that's an advantage for the opponent and they should be able to press that advantage without someone (particularly a supposedly neutral person) stepping in to alter that situation.

If the umpire had warned him about a potential fine for tanking the game, that would be another matter.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Does anyone else feel like this year's Open has completely gone to shit? Between the retirements, eyesore outfits, umpire drama and boring matches it's been an absolute disaster. 

Yes.  I look forward to this every year and this year I'm barely watching this crapfest.   In addition to the retirements, cringeworthy outfits, etc., there seems to be an element of, I don't know, "class" missing from this year's Open.  Hopefully, things will get better next week.  

The best, most poignant, moment thus far for me has been seeing David Ferrer and his interview announcing that this was his last Slam.    

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Does anyone else feel like this year's Open has completely gone to shit? Between the retirements, eyesore outfits, umpire drama and boring matches it's been an absolute disaster. 

And the (since-fixed) horrible camera angle on Armstrong.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Kanepi/Halep, but it was downhill from there. I do like watching Sabalenka and Medvedev come up. 

The Lacoste outfits are also a big question mark for me. They look like giant spiderwebs. 

I love The Beast, but if he can retire from the match with a calf injury, I don't understand why it's so unbelievable that Monfils could retire with a wrist injury.  I guess he has to show massive amounts of blood spurting out from somewhere.  Plus, we all know Delpo has had wrist issues, and I like him, too.  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

They Kyrgios situation was bizarre. If I wanted to give the ump the benefit of the doubt, I could see perhaps him being genuinely concerned, with the heat and whatnot, like he might've thought there was something seriously wrong. Buy Kyrgios has a history of tanking a set or two when he's bored. He's known for just not playing sometimes, for no apparent reason, because he's in a bad mood, or makes a few mistakes and gets in a hole and then decides, fuck it. If it were someone with an impeccable reputation for always grinding and pushing hard through matches, I could see that moment playing out like a serious medical concern. But given the target of the spiel, it made no sense. He should've stayed in his chair, and if he really wanted to, spoken from there and asked "are you unwell? do you need medical attention?" and then when Kyrgios says yea or no, go from there. But the coming down and having the personal talk...it was like the ump thought the guy had heatstroke...except without any good reason to think it wasn't just a guy who sometimes doesn't try, not trying.

• Love 7

ESPN: USTA says umpire at Nick Kyrgios match will keep working

Brian Earley and chief umpire Soeren Frienel reviewed the incident. While Mo Lahyani will be monitored, he's going to stay at the US Open due to his "exemplary track record as an international tennis official."

According to Kyrgios's press conference - and we know his sense of reality can be unique - he was not feeling well and during the chat Mo Lahyani was saying things like "it was not a good look." With all that partial audio, I'm still undecided on what to think. My guess right now would be that on the umpire's part it was half medical questions and half a paternal, I-don't-want-to-have-to-fine-you-for-not-trying speech. I'm not sure I would characterize it as a pep talk. I was fascinated by Federer's reaction, who said in his press conference that he didn't care about what was discussed but rather that there was any prolonged interaction on the ground at all. So I guess even if it wasn't a pep talk that just coming down the chair to talk could change the momentum/tenor of a match.

Edited by halopub
extra 'the'
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, halopub said:

I was fascinated by Federer's reaction, who said in his press conference that he didn't care about what was discussed but rather that there was any prolonged interaction on the ground at all.

That is exactly my issue, and I'm not surprised Federer felt that way.  Color me shocked that the USTA is taking no action at all and keeping Lahyani in his chair.[/sarcasm]

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Okay, I'm not happy seeing Rafa's knee taped again.  Anyone hear of any problem coming into the tournament?

I hadn't heard anything. In fact he made sure to stress, when he pulled out of Cincinnati that he was healthy and fine but he just thought it was best to rest up before the Open. I think he's fine (I hope so anyway) but I'm sure he'll be feeling some effects of the match considering it lasted four and a half hours. 

I have to give kudos to Kachanov. Obviously I'm thrilled that my fave won but mad respect for the fight Kachanov showed. What most impressed me is how he never gave up and kept fighting. Another player, especially one as young as him and in some ways still inexperienced with big matches on a big stage, might have just fallen apart after losing that second and third set after battling so well and coming so close. But Kachanov never let up and never stopped fighting. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

That poor bastard playing Isner.  The match probably won't be over until around midnight.

When they flashed the score not too long ago, I was like wtf?!!! How are they just now starting the third set?! They'll be playing til Sunday at this rate.

Eta: I feel bad for Venus right now. Serena's game is starting to click at the right time and she's looking tough to beat.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 1
On 8/31/2018 at 12:52 PM, NUguy514 said:

That is exactly my issue, and I'm not surprised Federer felt that way.

Out of curiosity, what did you think about that foot fault tutorial Krygios got at Wimbledon? Obviously the chat was very different, but in your mind was it a brief enough interaction to avoid improperly influencing the momentum of the match?

Edited by halopub
misspelling

Jesus God, did we really need a count down clock ticking away the seconds until the Venus/Serena match. Not to mention ESPN cutting away from the riveting Nadal/Khachanov match to chat for like 15 minutes about the sisters' match and then again to show super important stuff like Serena walking about. GRRR.

• Love 5
On 8/30/2018 at 6:47 PM, NowVoyager said:

Um. Did anyone watch the Kyrgios match today? What is going on with the chair umpires this year? Why are they being so extra?

The Real Chair Umpires of the U.S. Open. All that's missing is the pinot gris.

There’s also the exciting, not entirely consistent enforcement of the serve clock. I was at the Anderson/Shapovolov match and the umpire called the time violation on Anderson’s serve in the fifth set, which seemed to throw him a bit. It’s one thing if it’s going to be a universally followed standard, but my understanding is it’s basically up the umpire since they reserve the right to “pause” the clock. Also, unrelated, I love both Anderson and Shapovolov. Just to put that out there. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Jesus God, did we really need a count down clock ticking away the seconds until the Venus/Serena match. Not to mention ESPN cutting away from the riveting Nadal/Khachanov match to chat for like 15 minutes about the sisters' match and then again to show super important stuff like Serena walking about. GRRR.

It was beyond absurd for the media and commentators to be hyping up this match, because let's get real, when's the last time Venus really challenged Serena on a serious level? I know she had the win at Indian Wells, but I'm referring to a time when Serena wasn't coming back after at long layoff. 

I seriously wanted to bitch slap whichever producer made the decision to cut away from the Nadal match to interview the two coaches. How utterly pointless.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, halopub said:

Out of curiosity, what did you think about that footfall tutorial Krygios got at Wimbledon? Obviously the chat was very different, but in your mind was it a brief enough interaction to avoid improperly influencing the momentum of the match?

Yeah, I did and do think that was also improper, although not as big of a deal was made of it.  I don't think the umpire needed to explain what constitutes a foot fault to Kyrgios – a highly ranked tennis player – because he should already know what a foot fault is; the umpire should've told him as much and left it at that.

37 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

when's the last time Venus really challenged Serena on a serious level? I know she had the win at Indian Wells, but I'm referring to a time when Serena wasn't coming back after at long layoff. 

I seriously wanted to bitch slap whichever producer made the decision to cut away from the Nadal match to interview the two coaches. How utterly pointless.

I thought the final in Australia before Serena's leave was pretty competitive...and actually...there was a quarterfinal they played each other not too long before. I forget which slam it was now but it was more exciting than the actual final of that tournament. Sure, S won, but they both played well in those two matches. It wasn't a blowout like today.

I don't know what feed y'all were watching, but the replay of the two coaches interview I saw was after the Nadal match was over, at least 30 minutes after it ended, basically stalling for time while they changed out the crowd on Ashe.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I don't know what feed y'all were watching, but the replay of the two coaches interview I saw was after the Nadal match was over, at least 30 minutes after it ended, basically stalling for time while they changed out the crowd on Ashe.

Yeah, same. And I was watching on ESPN 2. The only thing I remember is their going split screen twice to show the drama with the Shapalov vs Anderson match.

Edited by truthaboutluv

The one thing I will defend the media about is that who knows if they will meet again?  I mean, from what I’ve read all week at Venus’s age of 37 it’s a miracle she’s even standing upright on the court.

But seriously, I think it is special, what these two ladies have done all these years.

Although.  Serena’s tutu is unflattering to her shape.  It’s cute, but shaped weird.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

Venus turned 38 this summer.

I've never been a huge fan of either sister throughout their long careers, but I'm much more sympathetic and likely to root for them now that they're pushing 40. It doesn't hurt that Serena's carefully edited HBO show gave a glimpse of how much more fun/self-reflective she is off the court. Dorky, even.

I agree that something about the shape of the tutu doesn't quite work. Her practical practice and press conference outfits have been more flattering. I do think the tutu looks cool when it splays out in all directions at once.

I'm surprised/impressed her fishnet stockings provide adequate leg compression - I thought they were hard to see until ESPN showed zoomed-in replays of Serena rolling her ankle last night.

17 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Yeah, I did and do think that was also improper, although not as big of a deal was made of it.  I don't think the umpire needed to explain what constitutes a foot fault to Kyrgios – a highly ranked tennis player – because he should already know what a foot fault is; the umpire should've told him as much and left it at that.

First, I agree with you that the umpire shouldn't have needed to give that demo. And yes, an elite player should know what a foot fault looks like.

Kyrgios is in a universe of his own, though. If umpires treat him exactly like any other player and completely limit their interactions with him, isn't there a risk of escalating his meltdowns instead of moving along the match? That unusual moment at Wimbledon, as unnecessary as it should have been, did stop the griping about foot faults. I don't know. Dealing with him is so messy for the umpires and the tour. 

On 8/30/2018 at 9:05 PM, Etta Place said:

I like Kyrgios, generally speaking (*ducking things thrown at me*), but it is clear that the pep talk never should have happened.

He needs to hire Andy Murray for PR. I think his social media posts with Nick give me some sense of how fun/likeable he could be. 

Edited by halopub
ohwell's sp correction - I blame the lack of sleep =D
3 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well, certainly wasn't expecting that score line in that match between Sharapova and Ostapenko. Admittedly I didn't see the match, so for those who did, was Maria playing that well or did Ostapenko just play that badly?

Ostapenko played that badly. Tons of double faults and unforced errors. Sharapova's gonna get slaughtered as soon as she lands a player who can run and hit more than three balls in a row.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2