Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

Has anyone found a guide that you are confident shows the correct broadcast availability of the AO here in the US?  

For instance, none of the guides that come up with a google search even mentions TennisChannel, but the onscreen guide for DirectTV (the service I watch TV on) has TC broadcasting the AO at 7am Monday morning, which would coincide with live tennis in Melbourne.

And other guides say the ESPN coverage starts at 6pm EST in the US, but others indicate 7pm.

And that’s to say nothing of the coyness about when it’s ESPN TV versus fucking ESPN+.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

• Sad 1

Okay, I have to admit grudgingly that ESPN+ may be worth the $9.99 for the month.  I was able to watch a few matches that weren’t going to see the light of day on TV: Kvitova-Van Uytvank (sp?) and Korda-Garin.

I still persist in objecting to the diminishing amount of tennis shown over the air.  I also don’t like that most of the commentators are stateside in front of green screens.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Okay, I have to admit grudgingly that ESPN+ may be worth the $9.99 for the month.  I was able to watch a few matches that weren’t going to see the light of day on TV: Kvitova-Van Uytvank (sp?) and Korda-Garin.

I still persist in objecting to the diminishing amount of tennis shown over the air.  I also don’t like that most of the commentators are stateside in front of green screens.

Hubs and I talked last night about how little actual tennis is shown vs all the yapping by people who aren't even in Australia.  I have very little interest in what Chris McKendry and James Blake have to say, when I can't watch a damn tennis match.  As much as John McEnroe annoys me, at last he has a lifetime of experience to yap about from his New York penthouse, and he only yaps while covering a match.  The excess studio chat coupled with endless interviews with players who say the same thing 10x over, are making this coverage unwatchable, and it's only day one.

• Like 5

Does anyone really believe ND won’t play?  I’ve seen a few clickbait headlines about “concern” because he had missed and truncated some practices.  I’ll believe it when he officially withdraws.

1 hour ago, Harry24 said:

Does anyone really believe ND won’t play?  I’ve seen a few clickbait headlines about “concern” because he had missed and truncated some practices.  I’ll believe it when he officially withdraws.

That fucker will have to be dragged kicking and screaming off the court. He's such a huge favorite to win, and we all know he wants to get the Slam record all to himself. 

And that will be a sad day. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

Ugh.  Nadal is out.  No Federer, Alcaraz, Nadal.  Berrettini out.  I guess it's up to Medvedev to deny Djerkovic?  Or can Zverev, Tsitsipas, or someone else surprise?

I hope Medvedev can deny Djoker. Because I refuse to root for the poster child for Anger Management or bathroom texter.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Harry24 said:

My pick to challenge The Djerk is Sinner.  Any one of the remaining contenders is going to have to jump up a level or two.

Jannik has looked scary good in his first two rounds but his fitness was a big issue last year, where he'd go through rounds as efficiently as he has and then he'd have to pull out of a Quarterfinal or Semifinal with a wrist or knee issue.

So hopefully he really put in the work on his fitness during the off-season. I was surprised how Seb Korda destroyed him at Adelaide but again, so far, he has looked very strong and confident. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Would anyone here be able to guide me through how to cast my espn+ video onto my 2007 TV?

Harry maybe look into getting a Roku so you can watch the ESPN app with it?  They are pretty cheap.  I guess you need to see if you can connect a current Roku to your TV by HDMI though.   I have a bedroom TV from about 2009 i think and it does have HDMI. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I've been on the Taylor Fritz bandwagon for several years & I'm happy to see him progress!!!

My condolences. :-(

However, you’re right.  His improvement has been remarkable.  I wonder how important the addition of Annacone to the team has been.

Boy, it’s been a blood bath for the men’s seeds today: Fritz, Zverev, Ruud.

• Sad 1

If anyone is rooting for Tiafoe, I should warn you that he lost every single point I watched. I was doing something else with the match on and started randomly glancing up;  every time I looked the ball inexplicably caught the net or went just outside.  I buried my head down for the match winner because he had already blown several chances (I watched each of those of course).  I don’t know why I jinx him, but I guess I do. 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Novaxx apparently had to deal with a heckler. Wish I coytha e seen that! 😀

Rafa is reported to miss 6-8 weeks with a hip flexor injury. 😭

Here you go:

Poor, poor Novaxx.

I'd like to buy this guy a pint.

• Like 3

I watched a Rune match the other night.  I am as surprised as anyone by his rapid progress.  He has been a brat in the past, let's hope he can mature if we're going to be seeing a lot of him!

I am sorry there have been so many upsets, it may make the later rounds dull, but I am glad Felix is still in the mix.

• Like 2

OMG, ABC is devoting an entire HOUR to the Austraian open on Sunday. How very precious of them! 

I have only gotten to watch a couple matches on the ESPN app that they have available for replay. I feel totally out of touch with the tourney so far, but maybe next week will be better. 

• Like 4
22 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I have only gotten to watch a couple matches on the ESPN app that they have available for replay. I feel totally out of touch with the tourney so far, but maybe next week will be better. 

@TVbitch, Just thought I would mention that you should be able to find all the replays on the app if you scroll down to all the sports symbols and find the little tennis ball.

The good thing about the next day replays is that they often don't put the commercials on them, and you get to hear the quieter Australian commentators.  By the way I am starting to watch Ben Shelton's match from last night and he's an exciting young American player.  A left-hander too!

If you all talked about this, I didn't see it, but that Nike print designer should get their walking papers.

Horrible, awful print and clothing designs. Guessing the competitors don't hav a choice but to wear them. I'm sure the sponsor/endorsement money is too big to refuse.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Big Foe looked the worst in his tank top version. Good God, that was awful. 

I hate the tank top look on men's tennis players.  I know that Nadal and Alcaraz are fans of the tank tops, but for some reason, it just looks bad to me.  Tennis has its origins as a gentlemen's game, evolved from the "real tennis" that was played by the likes of Henry VIII.  I guess I just don't associate tennis with armpit hair, and because so few male players wear tank tops, it always jars me a little when a player chooses this form of attire.

• Like 2