Type keyword(s) to search

Tennis Thread

cms
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

My phone first thought he was sissy pants. 😂

6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I refused to watch those two fucknuggets Kyrgios and Tsitsipas, and I'm so glad I didn't.  

Fucknugget sissypants works for me.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, CouchTater said:

Roger looks very fine in that suit!!

Venus looks like a queen.  Giving off Diana Ross vibes, for sure.

Venus looks amazing! 

I wish more past champions could have shown up. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Venus looks amazing! 

Me, too.  

I love the pageantry and history.  I visited London for the first time in March and fell in love with it.  This ceremony reminds me a lot of what I love about the city.

I thought I was going to turn off the musical interlude, but it's actually lovely.

• Love 4

Here is the view from my seat at the 2018 men’s final. It felt about 150 degrees that day. Truly miserable heat. Unfortunately, Roger had lost in the QF so we had to sit through Joker vs. Kevin Anderson. 

89BA4030-59E4-4134-B3D8-5CC4449546AD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 10
(edited)

It was really cool seeing the past champions.  I especially liked seeing  Bjorn Borg, Pat Cash, John McEnroe and Chris Evert, as those were the tennis icons of my childhood.  You could tell how much the Wimbledon crowd loves its tennis history.

John McEnroe's surprise tribute to  BBC's Sue Barker was a nice touch. I have not heard many of her matches, but she did a great call of Coco Gauff/ Venus Williams three years ago.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

@Spunkygal, how easy was it logistically for you to get those seats?  I'm wondering what it takes to get tickets to a final at a major.

The closest I've come is driving past Roland Garros this year 🤣

On the advice of a friend who had been, I used the Wimbledon debenture holder website. I seem to recall that you click on the day/event you want, send them your firstborn (ha!) and credit card, and then you get whatever seats they give you. Short of going out there and camping out the night before, this site guarantees genuine tix and not bogus ones. I’m not saying there aren’t genuine tix on resell sites, but this one is the real thing. You get assigned a client rep who answers all questions. If I had it to do over again, I would choose one of the earlier days of play. I was SO freaking sure that Roger would be in the finals that I threw caution to the wind. 😥 They used to have a ticket lottery but thanks to COVID, stopped that in 2020. I don’t know if they’ll bring it back. You can sign up for Wimbledon emails. 

• Useful 5

My nickname for Sinner is going to be Sniper.  Man, is he cool.

It was an amazing match and I wish I had been there to see these two youngsters.  When I was watching them, I couldn't help but think of Federer (Sinner) vs. Nadal (Alcaraz).

• Love 6

Jannik has been one to watch for a few years but he's had some fitness/injury issues in the last two years and I feel gotten overshadowed by Carlos' rise and others coming more into their own, like Rublev and others.

So it was nice to watch this match and see him deliver the standard that's been expected of him. He had a few tight moments, particularly in the latter stages of the match. But overall, it was all cool, silent assassin. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

My nickname for Sinner is going to be Sniper.  Man, is he cool.

With a name (and body) like Sinner, who needs a nickname?  😄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Jannik has been one to watch for a few years but he's had some fitness/injury issues in the last two years and I feel gotten overshadowed by Carlos' rise and others coming more into their own, like Rublev and others.

So it was nice to watch this match and see him deliver the standard that's been expected of him. He had a few tight moments, particularly in the latter stages of the match. But overall, it was all cool, silent assassin. 

McEnroe did say Sinner had gotten some meat on his legs, but he looks like he could bulk up a little more even though he's naturally thin.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here's the BBC clip of the parade of champions event.

It was so great for me to see Borg, Edberg and Federer especially!  So many great memories.  It seemed odd to me at first that they started with one time champions, two time champions but then it made sense as it built up to Roger the 8 time champ. Sad that Martina the 9 time champ got Covid and couldn't make it.

It did seem so random to see Martina Hingis who was once so dominant next to Goran the ultimate out of nowhere champ.  Nice though to see Petra, Simona and Angie Kerber though only Simona's still in the event.  Of all the clips the most memorable was probably Jana Novatna crying on the Duchess' shoulder.  At least she came back to win in a later year.

Venus looked great!   Too bad she and Jamie Murray lost that close match in the mixed.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
On 7/3/2022 at 8:58 AM, Spunkygal said:

Venus looks amazing! 

Sort of surprised Serena did not stick around for this. The other big multiple winner missing was Sampras, but he never seems to show up for anything.

• Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Sort of surprised Serena did not stick around for this. The other big multiple winner missing was Sampras, but he never seems to show up for anything.

I’d also like to have seen Steffi and Andre. Good grief, she won 7 times! But you don’t see them often either.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I’d also like to have seen Steffi and Andre. But you don’t see them often either.

I also guess for a non Europe based person to arrange to get to London for a brief ceremony (although I’d guess there were some festivities behind the scenes), they might judge it to be not worth the effort. Still, the fact Serena was playing last week and had probably expected to play further into the tournament, it was surprising she was not there.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sampras lives in L.A., and Steffi and Andre are in Las Vegas. That's a haul to get to London for a one-day event. I'm with all of you in wishing they'd been there, but understand why they weren't.

I agree Serena not participating was a bit of a surprise, though. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I switched over to Anisimova-Tan.

Good for you and I wish I had done the same.  I can understand shrieking or grunting or whatever after a long rally, but every.single.point??? Ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Ok, Sinner. You have one job today. Fly on the wings of eagles today, young man. Be a hero. 

Well so far he's certainly delivering on the assignment. From a break down in the first set and Djokovic a point away from going up 5-1, it's been all Jannik since.

I fully expect Djokovic to traumatize everyone rooting for him to lose by pulling a come from behind comeback (hey, prove me wrong Jannik). But these two sets have been joyous to watch. 

• Love 1

I am trying not to get my hopes up now that Sinner has swept the first 2 sets. This isn't the first time Djoker has toyed with his opponents by allowing a set or 2 to get away from him, then devouring them in the other 3. 

But for now, I'm just enjoying watching Sinner play.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

I fully expect Djokovic to traumatize everyone rooting for him to lose by pulling a come from behind comeback

Get out of my head. I can't watch live, but I keep checking the scores. Grrr on this third set.

So...Kyrgios being charged with assaulting his girlfriend. How shocking. /s

• Mind Blown 4
3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Get out of my head. I can't watch live, but I keep checking the scores. Grrr on this third set.

So...Kyrgios being charged with assaulting his girlfriend. How shocking. /s

He can't get out of his own way!!  From one pile of poop to another ...

• Love 1
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Harry24 said:

It’s amazing just how much I can’t stand Djokovic.  

Ditto. Can’t believe how Sinner’s serve went AWOL after the high of snatching those two sets. Well, it’s a cruel learning experience for him. We really have to pray for a miracle in the next round whether it’s Norrie or Goffin. Congrats to Maria on her match today. I love to see moms win! 

Wait, will Joker face Nadal/Fritz? I may be confused on his bracket.

Edited by Spunkygal
5 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Wait, will Joker face Nadal/Fritz? I may be confused on his bracket.

I didn’t see the match.  Did Sinner choke?  I expect his opponent raised his level.

Nadal, Fritz, Kyrgios and Garin are on the other half of the draw and wouldn’t see ND until the final.  He will play either Goffin or Norrie, who are playing now, in the semi-finals.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Harry24 said:

I didn’t see the match.  Did Sinner choke?  I expect his opponent raised his level.

Nadal, Fritz, Kyrgios and Garin are on the other half of the draw and wouldn’t see ND until the final.  He will play either Goffin or Norrie, who are playing now, in the semi-finals.

The first two sets were dramatic wins for Sinner, especially the first. Sinner was down like 4-1 in the first and rallied. In either that set or the second he also had some aces. But then his first serve went on life support. And Joker just pounced. 

• Sad 6

Evil me is rooting for Norrie today, not because I dislike Goffin, but because the crowd will be so vocal for Norrie v. Joker and that will eat at Joker. 

Shallow note: Kate’s hair is gorgeous. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I've no idea who the dude next to the Duchess of Cambridge is, but he really needs to bothering her and let her watch the match.

Is that Tim Henman, former British great? Namesake of Henman’s Hill. 

9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

The first two sets were dramatic wins for Sinner, especially the first. Sinner was down like 4-1 in the first and rallied. In either that set or the second he also had some aces. But then his first serve went on life support. And Joker just pounced. 

I was so rooting for Sinner and not just because he was playing Joker. 

But I do think he (Joker) lets his game slip on purpose from time to time just to toy with his opponent and let them dare to dream, all so he can mind-fuck them by coming back. And do not get me started on the utterly fake, utterly obvious belly flop that he turned into Superman arms (gag!) in the 5th set to curry favor with the crowd.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, CountryGirl said:

I was so rooting for Sinner and not just because he was playing Joker. 

But I do think he (Joker) lets his game slip on purpose from time to time just to toy with his opponent and let them dare to dream, all so he can mind-fuck them by coming back. And do not get me started on the utterly fake, utterly obvious belly flop he did early in the 3rd set to curry favor with the crowd.

Yet another reason why he’ll never be as loved and revered as Roger or Rafa.

• Like 5
  • Love 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Is it Wills? 😝

That is funny that Wills came over to sit between Kate and Tim! She must have given him a secret signal! 

I love this raucous crowd! This fifth set is going to be 🔥

Edited by Spunkygal
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Am I losing my mind or were McEnroe and Fowler praising Joker for handling "off the court" issues this year?

You mean refusing to get vaccinated against Covid like every other player, going out in public after testing positive, lying to trying to get into Australia after said refusal, that kind of thing? 

How can they make statements like that with a straight face?  How is any of that not totally his doing?

By the way under current US law he will still not be eligible to play the US Open, are they going to try to make that not his fault as well?

Sorry for Sinner, but I do think the young players have a great disadvantage in the lack of experience in best of 5 matches.   Maybe the experience will come with time.

• Like 1
  • Applause 9
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, roseha said:

Am I losing my mind or were McEnroe and Fowler praising Joker for handling "off the court" issues this year?

You mean refusing to get vaccinated against Covid like every other player, going out in public after testing positive, lying to trying to get into Australia after said refusal, that kind of thing? 

How can they make statements like that with a straight face?  How is any of that not totally his doing?

By the way under current US law he will still not be eligible to play the US Open, are they going to try to make that not his fault as well?

Sorry for Sinner, but I do think the young players have a great disadvantage in the lack of experience in best of 5 matches.   Maybe the experience will come with time.

If you were losing your mind, I was, too.

I had to mute them after a while, the tongue-bathing of Joker for his handling (mis-handling is more like it) of things that were entirely within his own control made me want to throw things at my TV. 

He is not and never has a been a victim and I cannot roll my eyes hard enough at the suggestion that he has overcome some seemingly insurmountable obstacle or something when we have so many in our world who have experienced true heartbreak and tragedies. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 9

Every time I watch a tennis match I am reminded all over again how much, IMO, Wimbledon is the very best surface.

Rafa and Fritz look almost identical when watching on an iPad screen, heh.

• Love 4