Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Kimmy's in a Love Triangle!

I saw A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder when I was in New York in January of this year, so I loved seeing Jefferson Mays show up in the awful fake musical at the end.

• Love 2

I was really enjoying the fact that they made Dong a viable love interest and not just the butt of a joke. And then they immediately ruined it with a green card marriage proposal.

So true. I was rooting for Dong ever since his surprising and heartbreaking restaurant window breakdown but then blammo! Turns out Dong is also a bit of a spacecase. But I'm fine with it because it means the show dodges the typical female-lead romcom pitfalls. Still Team Dong, though.

*waves flag with two penises kissing*

• Love 4

I love all of the background bits in this series. Rewatching will be a treat.

Late night binge watching makes me muddle some points, but there was a beyond-throwaway moment in this episode that made me literally sit up and wonder if I had made it up. At the restaurant, Dong's boss was saying something about "flying around the room", and the there was a reply by Dong of "Who Jackie?"

Am I crazy? I mean, about this? I need to rewatch, but this made me instantly flash back to 200-something when "My Name Is Earl" put a meta-wink play with their character, Dead Josh, posting on TelevisionWithoutPity.com by the name WhoJackie. The name had been registered for a while, and right before the show WhoJackie edited most of their posts to be basically nothing, with notes about flying around the room (except for the post where he mentioned he was worried about his Murphy bed). Unless I am making that up in my memory, but why would my brain thusly deceive me? (Why my brain wasted memory on this, and not my parent's anniversary that I STILL cannot remember, I cannot rightly say)

A tragic consequence of binge-watching, I am only 98% sure this was the right episode, but it's hardly a spoiler in any case.

• Love 2
(edited)

Watching this episode now....he definitely calls his boss Who Jackie!

Validation! Of course, none of my scrupulous Googling (what, work?!) has turned up archives that show any more beyond the surface/last interaction of WhoJackie on TWOP. And there isn't an overlap in writers credited between the series, let alone the episodes (my nerd-o-meter going off is hurting my head).

ETA: The boss's name is credited as Hu Zha Qi on IMDb, and the line is "I hope you die. Become ghost. Fly around the room! That make everybody happy." 

I don't know about Dong dying and becoming ghost making anyone happy, but, dear writer (Lauren Gurganous? Azie Mira Dungey?), this inclusion made ME so happy. So, thank you! (since you are *obviously* reading this)

Edited by KarateKate
  • Love 3

Love this episode so much! I could NOT stop laughing at the "Daddy's Boy" musical at the end. So wrong! And the entire restaurant cheering and toasting and celebrating the news that there is no Entourage 2! I mean, it's totally ridiculous and impossible, but also delightful, because at heart, don't we all feel that way?

So great to see Dean Norris, and damn! Titus really can pass! That will open some doors for him for sure (watch out, Lion King)!

Xan's waterproof birding journal was completely perfect. Or should I say, "It was glorious!"

The only thing that gave me pause was that I wondered about the mad scientist at the theme restaurant being dressed EXACTLY like Dr. Horrible from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog... if it was intentional, they should have drawn more attention to it to actually turn it into a joke, right? But if it was unintentional, it's one hell of a coincidence! What's up?

theletter.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-03-09-12h27m34s821.jpg

• Love 6

And the entire restaurant cheering and toasting and celebrating the news that there is no Entourage 2! I mean, it's totally ridiculous and impossible, but also delightful, because at heart, don't we all feel that way?

I loved this part, because I too, feel happy that there is no Entourage 2. Dean Norris as Titus' straight coach was pretty awesome.

I loved the beginning with Logan getting Kimmy a dolphin, and then breaking the news that the dolphin died on the street in a British accent, because it sounds better when giving bad news.

I liked both Logan and Dong. I think they are both hilarious, but not terribly interested in either one as Kimmy's longterm love interest. At least not at this time.

• Love 5

Love this episode so much! I could NOT stop laughing at the "Daddy's Boy" musical at the end. So wrong! And the entire restaurant cheering and toasting and celebrating the news that there is no Entourage 2! I mean, it's totally ridiculous and impossible, but also delightful, because at heart, don't we all feel that way?

I laughed for 10 minutes straight, long after the credits had rolled, over "Daddy's Boy", particularly the fact that the movie couldn't be finished because the crew refused to go on.  By far my favorite moment in a great series.

• Love 11

Validation! Of course, none of my scrupulous Googling (what, work?!) has turned up archives that show any more beyond the surface/last interaction of WhoJackie on TWOP. And there isn't an overlap in writers credited between the series, let alone the episodes (my nerd-o-meter going off is hurting my head).

ETA: The boss's name is credited as Hu Zha Qi on IMDb, and the line is "I hope you die. Become ghost. Fly around the room! That make everybody happy." 

In an earlier episode, where Kimmy is doing deliveries for Dong, he mentions that his boss is whojackie. There might not be any overlap between this show and My Name is Earl, but whojackie comes from way back during the Rosanne writers room, and my understanding is that it is kind of a legendary joke among comedy writers. Some googling also tells me that there was a whojackie reference in 30 Rock as well.

• Love 3

In an earlier episode, where Kimmy is doing deliveries for Dong, he mentions that his boss is whojackie. There might not be any overlap between this show and My Name is Earl, but whojackie comes from way back during the Rosanne writers room, and my understanding is that it is kind of a legendary joke among comedy writers. Some googling also tells me that there was a whojackie reference in 30 Rock as well.

I totally missed the earlier reference to whojackie/Hu Zha Qi! Thanks! Lots of little bits to enjoy on rewatch that I missed.

t was the "Become a ghost. Fly around the room." part that made me make a more TWoP/MNIE connection, as that's they only connection I'd seen (although there must be another). Norm McDonald retelling the "Who Jackie?" story cracks me up. 

t was the "Become a ghost. Fly around the room." part that made me make a more TWoP/MNIE connection, as that's they only connection I'd seen (although there must be another). Norm McDonald retelling the "Who Jackie?" story cracks me up. 

Refresh my memory, what is the connection between "Become a ghost" line and My Name is Earl. I thought it was some sort of reference to the fact that Hu Zha Qi was Chinese and the whole thing with spirits and the people's ghosts. 

I think my favourite thing about the whoele Who Jackie thing is the fact that no one from My Name is Earl worked on Roseanne. It just became that famous among TV writers.

• Love 1

I've really enjoyed all of the episodes so far, but I think this one had the most laugh out loud moments for me.  The bit with the mini horse killed me, as did Dean Norris's role as the straight coach.  His line about drinking through a straw looking like sucking a leprechaun's BLEEP had me seriously rolling. 

Also loved his turning up as the Bartender/Wolf (?) at the end. It reminded me sooo much of Gene Parmesan showing up unexpectedly in Arrested Development.

• Love 6

Refresh my memory, what is the connection between "Become a ghost" line and My Name is Earl. I thought it was some sort of reference to the fact that Hu Zha Qi was Chinese and the whole thing with spirits and the people's ghosts. 

I think my favourite thing about the whoele Who Jackie thing is the fact that no one from My Name is Earl worked on Roseanne. It just became that famous among TV writers.

Sadly the TWoP forums digging back to 2007 have been lost to the mists of time, but basically it was that the WhoJackie handle had been registered some 2 years or so before the episode. Hadn't made a ton of posts. Not a lot of notice. Closer to the episode airing, made a few posts more germane to the conversation, one with a bit of a throwaway about being worried about the murphey bed in his apartment. The post including the meta shoutout to twop was made shortly before the episode aired, then posts "made" by characters on the show the day after with "information about the memorial" for Josh/whojackie.

Naturally there was interest in this account. So naturally people looked to what other posts had been made. But most of them had been edited to simply be something like "whojackie is flying around the room". 

Or I'm absolutely crazier than I thought. Wayback has failed me! But the exchange about the "become a ghost! fly around the room!" stuck out to me for this even before finding out the boss' name was Hu Zha Qi/whojackie.

• Love 1

Naturally there was interest in this account. So naturally people looked to what other posts had been made. But most of them had been edited to simply be something like "whojackie is flying around the room". 

Or I'm absolutely crazier than I thought. Wayback has failed me! But the exchange about the "become a ghost! fly around the room!" stuck out to me for this even before finding out the boss' name was Hu Zha Qi/whojackie.

Earl thread page 50, 48 and 43 had what you are talking about. Totally didn't remember that, the reference here (a ghost not an angel though) is almost creepy.

• Love 1

I remember the whole whojackie thing on the my name is earl thread quite well. I just don't remember any reference to a ghost flying around a room. Here is the entire My Name is Earl thread if you are bored and feel like searching a page at a time.

If you thought I wouldn't, you, my friend, underestimate how much this has been niggling at my brain. Thanks for the link! I tried the archive from earlier and it didn't have all the pages. 

Page 90 jmhardin points out that whojackie's last 9 posts had been changed to (drumroll):

What if jackie turned into an angel, flew around the room and made everybody happy?

So, now... what does it meeeeeannnn?

ETA - you were posting while I was searching. You are good.

Edited by KarateKate
  • Love 2

So, now... what does it meeeeeannnn?

That is why it is weird and almost creepy to me. I mean the whojackie story I have heard/read a number of time from a number of different people. That makes sense. But this fly around the room and make people happy thing, seems way to similar to be a coincidence.  Why did Greg Garcia use it on TWoP in the first place, and why did who ever wrote it into this episode add it in. Were they just referencing those posts, or was there something else, like an original origin to that saying?

• Love 1

That is why it is weird and almost creepy to me. I mean the whojackie story I have heard/read a number of time from a number of different people. That makes sense. But this fly around the room and make people happy thing, seems way to similar to be a coincidence.  Why did Greg Garcia use it on TWoP in the first place, and why did who ever wrote it into this episode add it in. Were they just referencing those posts, or was there something else, like an original origin to that saying?

The origin is here: http://www.hitfix.com/news/the-incredible-roseanne-reference-you-missed-on-unbreakable-kimmy-schmidt

• Love 5

One of my favorite episodes so far! I loved when everyone cheered for the lack of Entourage 2. trust me, I am right there with you all. 

I like Logan and Dong, in that I think they're both funny and avoid being a bland love interest. I`ll miss having Logan around. He`s clearly an ass, but he was a really funny one. Please let us see more clips from Daddy's Boy! That whole bit might be my favorite of the series so far. 

I also loved how Kimmy laughs at things that scare other people who were never kidnapped. This show throws in the best dark humor in the weirdest places. 

• Love 3

I like this series a lot, but I'll concede that it has its stronger and weaker moments. But... oh my, that whole Daddy's Boy sequence (including its continuation over the end credits) was sheer genius -- accurate, weirdly touching, but mostly just hilarious.

• Love 2

I didn't know anything about WhoJackie, and my subtitles just happened to be on (which really helped me out with the Spansh, try it, there are jokes there!), and it showed Dong referring to his boss as Hu Zha Qi so I didn't think twice.   NOW I see how clever that was :)  LOVE this show!

This is a very short YouTube explaining the Roseanne part of the WhoJackie story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrEZlqSsnkc (basically a writer that had been on the show 2 year didn't know that Roseanne had a sister named Jackie)

This is an excerpt from the Wikipedia page on Television Without Pity explaining the WhoJackie reference on My Name is Earl:

on the January 18, 2007 episode of My Name Is Earl, a character using the screen name WhoJackie was shown typing a post on the site's forums. As it turns out, a user by that same name had written the same post several days before the episode first aired.[11]

Aw man, this episode was everything. The whole Daddy's Boy thing at the end was pure Fey/Carlock.

"Xanthippe, you look tired. How are your BMs?" "Ugh, I don't want to talk about this." "Well, there's my answer."

Kind of sad to see Logan go since that means no more jokes about blimps and Shetland ponies and "the dolphin died on the sidewalk" but Dong is just too cute, and he and Kimmy click more.

The only thing that gave me pause was that I wondered about the mad scientist at the theme restaurant being dressed EXACTLY like Dr. Horrible from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog... if it was intentional, they should have drawn more attention to it to actually turn it into a joke, right? But if it was unintentional, it's one hell of a coincidence! What's up?

theletter.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-03-09-12h27m34s821.jpg

Dr. Horrible's mad scientist look is pretty generic, though. I'm sure if you go to any Halloween Adventure, they all look like that: a cross between Dr. Frankenstein and Rotwang from Metropolis.

This was one of those times were I was glad that I wasn't spoiled.  Because I almost keeled over with laughter when I saw that Dean Norris was going to be playing the straight actor coach.  That was just perfect.  And he was easily better in just these scenes compared to his entire stint on Under the Dome (granted, he's still one of the best things about that show, but that's not saying much.) All of his stuff with Titus was gold.  The entire thing was: I'm all for anything that takes the piss out of the stupid Entourage franchise.

The love triangle kind of went the way I figured it would be, but then it didn't.  Knew Logan was going to be revealed to be a jerk, but Dong popping the green card marriage was surprising and kind of disappointing.  I like the idea of Dong being a goofy, but well-meaning person for Kimmy, but now I'm always going to wonder going forward about him.  Granted, I probably need to wait and watch these last few episodes, before making a final determination.

If this is it for Xanthippe, then it wasn't half-bad, but I'm guessing from her threat that she'll be back.  Loved the bit when she tried to scare off her mom, by having Kimmy, Dong, and Titus act like drug dealers.

"Daddy's Boy!"  Words really wouldn't be enough to describe how awesome that whole bit was.