Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Raisin Balls & Wedding Bells

Eggplant wedding cake. Raisin balls. Canned beans. This made me gag and that didn't even include the sex.

That said this may be the show that could and last a while. The scenes with the mannequin were bittersweet.

Next week...one of the worst SNL hosts in recent memory.

I liked Carol's meatball/rasinball analogy for her approach to life.

I kind of wish they would have held off on introducing anyone else new, although it seems designed to provide the most frustration for Phil. He finally starts to accept Carol as his wife and then... turns out there was another woman alive. An exceptionally pretty woman too. I would still rather watch Will and Kristen play for a little while before introducing that complication.

• Love 6

One thing's for sure: my husband and I will be incorporating a lot more bear talk into our lovemaking in future.

I finally think the show is beginning to hit its stride, and I'm glad I didn't give up. I agree, however, that it would have been preferable to wait a few more episodes before introducing the new woman.

• Love 1

I would still rather watch Will and Kristen play for a little while before introducing that complication.

Same here.  I think they could have done what they did in the last five minutes (learning to accept one another as spouses) in 30 minute episode before introducing someone knew. It would have been a nice break from the two of them annoying one another.  I absolutely loved the scene where Carol beat up the "ex-girlfriend" and Phil took her side. 

Shallow:  I thought Kristen Schaal looked lovely in that wedding dress. 

• Love 4

Just when I was kinda getting used to Carol (they made her a lot more likable in this episode), they introduce a third person??

And when is Phil going to shave?

I did like Phil's bachelor party, and the call back to stop signs. However, I might be out at this point.

Carol is such a sweetheart.  She put in so much effort into that wedding ceremony.  Then we see how she festively decorated her car and home.  I felt for her due to the way Phil had treated her.  Afterward she even participated in the racquetball game and Phil's destructive fun.  And her mannequin jealousy scene was cute. Now this new hot woman appears, and I already feel sorry in advance for Carol. 

• Love 3

I agree that it would've been more effective if we had time to see Phil and Carol accept each other more, go through some more stuff before introducing the Hot Girl. Because of COURSE she's hot. And probably comparatively normal. Carol was much less annoying this episode, and I'm also feeling bad for her in advance.

• Love 1

More than them throwing in the third person in the the third episode, it bothered me that they both kept referring to themselves as the last people on Earth. I know that's a colloquialism, and I know it's in the title, and I know Phil drove around for a year, and then waited another before finding two people in a fairly short time, but unless we get a flashback to whatever killed everyone that tells us it started on other continents and hit the US last, so far what's been established in they're the last people in America. And I get they maybe that might as well be on earth if the means for intercontinental travel is basically toast, but who's to say there aren't a small cluster of people in Australia or elsewhere?

I realize this should not annoy me as much as it does, but right now, it annoys me more than their jumping to the conclusion that no one else might have seen his "alive in Tucson" signs and might still be yet to show up.

Poor Carol. It's got to feel like the universe is messing with her. She finally finds another person and he sniffs her underwear and poops in a pool. They finally start to work together and bond, and then a super hot chick shows up. Here's hoping that January Jones's character is gay and only has eyes for Carol. That would be way funnier than Carol getting jealous and fighting with the new woman.

I loved that Carol joined Phil's crazy racquetball game and destroying stuff with the bulldozer. I would hate it if the show was just about poor put upon Phil and his killjoy wife. Having her enjoy the freedom of getting to do whatever you want is a lot more fun to watch.  

• Love 8

Man, I love this show. It's sweet and hilarious. The characters are fun, crazy, weird, and yet real too. Who knows how each of us would act in such circumstances?

I have absolutely no complaint about Phil and Carol suddenly meeting a new person. I love how the show seems to be going one way but then takes a quick detour down another path.

The raisin balls scene was great. I cracked up when Carol said, "They look the same, but they taste very different." The first sex scene was also cracking me up. So so funny.

Phil torching the tower of tp was another LOL moment. And then he makes popcorn. I've enjoyed every single fun and experimental thing he's done.

The wedding was sweet, esp seeing all the effort Carol put into it.

Will Forte and Kristin Schaal have such great chemistry. The beginning of the ep where Phil was just going along with everything she was doing was outstanding.

I'm so very happy with this show.

• Love 8

Phil will certainly have the hots for the new chick, after those disastrous sex scenes, Phil was just the mannequin there, no action or anything, but this will change for sure..

So there's no razors or scissors around? that beard is so awful, I guess he keeps it for the odd looking factor?

I actually feel for Phil.  I'm under the impression that he only agreed to marry her for sex and it turns out he doesn't even enjoy it.  

I do enjoy these two together and I agree that they should've waited before introducing someone else.  I wonder if Phil can convince Carol that genetic diversity will be needed if they're going to repopulate the planet (basically convince her to let him have sex with the new chick).

And it's been bugging me since I first saw the commercial for the series:  "Out for what do you need that gun?"  Like Phil, I'm thinking that can't be right.  Can it?

So there's no razors or scissors around? that beard is so awful, I guess he keeps it for the odd looking factor?

Or the complete freedom?   

I love everything that Phil Lord and Chris Miller create.  Everything!

• Love 2

I have a feeling January Jone's character will meet a quick and untimely demise.  There's no way that actress will remain a regular cast member.

Loved the episode.  The sex scene was exceptionally hilarious.  Totally digging this show.

• Love 1

I am actually really upset that January Jones is in this show now. She is awful actress, and ruined my favorite xmen character. NEVER FORGET!

Also do animals no longer exist in this world? People are gone but I can't remember if I ever saw any animals running around.

Also what is with Fox love affair with Tuscan? Did the tourist board just pay Fox to have 1 or 2 cables show set to this area?

• Love 3

I decided to give it another go because I felt like the only person on Earth who didn't like it. I'm just going to have to feel like an outcast because I still don't like it.

Carol did look beautiful in that dress. The ceremony she came up with was so sweet and I was hoping it would go off without any problems. But of course Phil has to be a dick. Carol I hope reading not this because sucks my grammar.

You guys let me know when Phil cleans up and stops pooping in the pool will you and I might try again. Thanks.

• Love 1

I liked Carol's meatball/rasinball analogy for her approach to life.

I kind of wish they would have held off on introducing anyone else new, although it seems designed to provide the most frustration for Phil. He finally starts to accept Carol as his wife and then... turns out there was another woman alive. An exceptionally pretty woman too. I would still rather watch Will and Kristen play for a little while before introducing that complication.

Yeah, that would be ideal.  I think the people making this show are between a rock and a hard place in a way.  Go too slow and let one status quo play itself out for a while before you upend it, and you may risk losing impatient viewers, that you could possibly reel in by showing some more of your cards (to mix metaphors).  But go too fast, and you use up a lot of your show's "bible" in the first season--and if you've actually succeeded in making it a ratings success, you may then have trouble coming up with scenarios for a second, third, or fourth.

I wonder if Phil can convince Carol that genetic diversity will be needed if they're going to repopulate the planet (basically convince her to let him have sex with the new chick).

I was thinking that too, and it's a very solid argument since she has been talking from the beginning about a mission to repopulate the Earth, not just "let's settle down and have kids".  Besides, even if she doesn't see the biological imperative for genetic diversity, there's a very awkward social reality of her intended repopulation plan: in the second generation, it requires two of her kids to have sex (or, worse, for one of them to have sex with a parent).  Whereas if January Jones lives in a separate household, that generation will be coupling with half siblings in genetic terms, but it won't feel even half as yucky in terms of the social situation.

BTW, the "don't end a sentence with a preposition" rule is bunk.  There's a tale, probably apocryphal but still fun, that someone corrected a sentence Winston Churchill wrote by asserting this "rule", and Winston scribbled on the manuscript, "This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

• Love 3

It's Phil's fault that he's so passive in the sack, so I don't feel too bad for him about the sex being horrible. I mean, ok: the first time, he was just in absolute shock. But he could try doing something other than lying there and thinking of England if he wanted to. Carol was open to suggestions (note that she tried not talking the next time, after he claimed to be into silence). She's making an effort, and yeah, she's craaaaaaaazy. But he doesn't even try-- in the sack as well as out of it. Carol would probably have been pretty happy if he'd participated or tried to show her what he wanted. She took to raquetball in the foyer. I bet she'd take to pretty much anything he suggested in the pleasure department, especially if he knows what he's doing. She's invested in making things work.

But of course they introduce another woman as a distraction. Even after the apocalypse, a triangle is apparently the most compelling drama a TV show can imagine....

• Love 2

I laughed so hard while watching this one. I think they might be hitting their stride now. I love how they keep doing things expectantly, but then throwing in a curveball here and there too. I actually think this new addition was perfectly timed and brought the episode full circle. Just like Phil's nightmare, once they accepted this was their life, here's a something to wreck it.

Thoroughly enjoyed Phil's bachelor party and loved Carol getting into Phil's destruction recreation. The mannequin stuff was the highlight for me though.

Here's to hoping this new woman has no interest in either Phil or Carol! Or, I think it would be funny if Carol encourages Phil to copulate with the new woman (instead of Phil trying to sell Carol on the idea)--for genetic variation reasons--and he doesn't find that experience all that enjoyable either. There's lots of fun possibilities here, I can't wait to see what they do with it.

ETA: Even though I was in stitches, when Phil was burning that tower of toilet paper, I was thinking, "you're gonna regret that one later!" ;)

Edited by DittyDotDot

Even though I was in stitches, when Phil was burning that tower of toilet paper, I was thinking, "you're gonna regret that one later!" ;)

It really makes me squirm every time he goes the "destroy" route for something I am led to believe they still use, and have a finite amount of and little means to make their own. Then again, that sort of reinforces the notion that even though he is alive/lived, he probably doesn't actually think he/they will live all that long from here. Hence the fuck it/no rules attitude. He's trying to get his kicks while he can. Probably same reason he did marry Carol so quickly. Phil's basically given up.
  • Love 1

It really makes me squirm every time he goes the "destroy" route for something I am led to believe they still use, and have a finite amount of and little means to make their own. Then again, that sort of reinforces the notion that even though he is alive/lived, he probably doesn't actually think he/they will live all that long from here. Hence the fuck it/no rules attitude. He's trying to get his kicks while he can. Probably same reason he did marry Carol so quickly. Phil's basically given up.

Yeah, the first episode I was like, "what are you doing, you're gonna need some of that stuff to survive." But then I realized he didn't really care, so I stopped caring and just going with it. The bowling ball thing was probably my favorite destruction-recreation to date, but flame throwers can also be lots of fun too! ;)

Yeah, the first episode I was like, "what are you doing, you're gonna need some of that stuff to survive." But then I realized he didn't really care, so I stopped caring and just going with it. The bowling ball thing was probably my favorite destruction-recreation to date, but flame throwers can also be lots of fun too! ;)

Yea the burning the toilet paper didn't really bother me. I mean the first episode established that he had an unlimited supply of fuel to travel the USA. So it stands to reason then that he would have the entire USA's supply of toilet paper. Add to the fact that without any kind of doctors or medical care around, his life expectancy is much shorter, and I don't really see him running out anytime soon.

Plus I know it has only been 3 episodes, but the scenes of Phil destroying stuff for fun don't seem like they will ever get old.

I have a feeling January Jone's character will meet a quick and untimely demise.  There's no way that actress will remain a regular cast member.

I am not sure why she wouldn't become a regular cast member (not that I know one way or the other). I mean the only other thing she is known for is Mad Men, and while that show got a ton of critical acclaim, it was never a ratings monster. Plus it is ending this year. She hasn't really found much success doing anything else (and I think she is kind of limited as an actress), so why wouldn't she take a role as a regular cast member on a network TV show?

I am not sure why she wouldn't become a regular cast member (not that I know one way or the other). I mean the only other thing she is known for is Mad Men, and while that show got a ton of critical acclaim, it was never a ratings monster. Plus it is ending this year. She hasn't really found much success doing anything else (and I think she is kind of limited as an actress), so why wouldn't she take a role as a regular cast member on a network TV show?

I looked it up on IMDB

January Jones is credited for 8 episodes which means she'll be in it till the end, right? Am I correct in thinking there's only 10 episodes?