Type keyword(s) to search

Suicide Squad (2016)

ApathyMonger
  • Start Topic

Is this the general DC Cinematic Universe thread? If not, feel free to move this.

Suicide Squad has a cast:http://variety.com/2014/film/news/suicide-squad-cast-revealed-jared-leto-to-play-the-joker-will-smith-is-deadshot-1201368867/

Here’s the official cast/character list:

Jared Leto – The Joker

Will Smith – Deadshot

Tom Hardy – Rick Flagg

Margot Robbie – Harley Quinn

Jai Courtney – Boomerang

Cara Delevingne – Enchantress

Cara Delevigne's gotten a whole load of roles recently. I'd never heard of her until her Playhouse Presents episode this year; she only had two previous IMDb credits at that point, one of which was a short and the other a small role in Anna Karenina.

When did Will Smith last do a movie that wasn't a "Will Smith Movie" or "Jaden Smith Movie," aside from cameos? Has he ever?

• Love 1

I don't believe we have a DCCU thread yet, to be honest, seeing as we only have one finished film and the second still underway.

And Eisenberg is apparently still in talks to cameo as Lex Luthor in SS.

Is this the general DC Cinematic Universe thread? If not, feel free to move this.

Suicide Squad has a cast:http://variety.com/2014/film/news/suicide-squad-cast-revealed-jared-leto-to-play-the-joker-will-smith-is-deadshot-1201368867/

Cara Delevigne's gotten a whole load of roles recently. I'd never heard of her until her Playhouse Presents episode this year; she only had two previous IMDb credits at that point, one of which was a short and the other a small role in Anna Karenina.

When did Will Smith last do a movie that wasn't a "Will Smith Movie" or "Jaden Smith Movie," aside from cameos? Has he ever?

I think Will is hitting reality in that he can't be a leading man forever.  He still has a lot more leading man movies in the pipeline but he is also very calculated about his career and I think he knows that these ensemble superhero/comic book movies aren't going away anytime soon and he better jump on one and cement his place in one.

• Love 1

I think Will is hitting reality in that he can't be a leading man forever.  He still has a lot more leading man movies in the pipeline but he is also very calculated about his career and I think he knows that these ensemble superhero/comic book movies aren't going away anytime soon and he better jump on one and cement his place in one.

You mean that Hancock didn't do that? But it's a masterpiece of the genre!

• Love 2

You mean that Hancock didn't do that? But it's a masterpiece of the genre!

Last I heard was a while ago that there was plans for a Hancock sequel, not sure if that is still a go.  Anyway it made enough money to warrant one.  

That's what people said about Heath Ledger, but he turned out fine.

I think that was the point though.  That now there are two iconic performances of The Joker that Jared has to distance himself from.  One of which was an Oscar winning portrayal.  Heath Ledger had to overcome Jack's iconic portrayal, but at least that was a somewhat different genre of film and there was a twenty year gap in both roles.

• Love 1

Also regarding Suicide Squad, Tom Hardy has dropped out due to scheduling conflicts.  WB is hoping for Jake Gyllenhaal to take over; hopefully he will fare better than the last Gyllenhaal did in a DC movie.

Not sure if it is a good move or not, but considering that people still make jokes about Hardy's Bane voice, maybe it is not a bad idea to stay away from super hero stuff.

• Love 1

It feels good to be bad…Assemble a team of the world’s most dangerous, incarcerated Super Villains, provide them with the most powerful arsenal at the government’s disposal, and send them off on a mission to defeat an enigmatic, insuperable entity. U.S. intelligence officer Amanda Waller has determined only a secretly convened group of disparate, despicable individuals with next to nothing to lose will do. However, once they realize they weren’t picked to succeed but chosen for their patent culpability when they inevitably fail, will the Suicide Squad resolve to die trying, or decide it’s every man for himself?

Cast:

Will Smith : Deadshot

Jared Leto : The Joker

Margot Robbie : Harley Quinn

Joel Kinnaman : Rick Flagg

Viola Davis : Amanda Waller

Jai Courtney : Boomerang

Jay Hernandez : Diablo

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje : Killer Croc

Ike Barinholtz - Griggs

Scott Eastwood - Lieutenant GQ Edwards

Cara Delevingne : Enchantress

Karen Fukuhara : Katana

Adam Beach : Slipknot

Jim Parrack - Frost

Directed by David Ayer

Official site

• Love 2

Really excited about Harley Quinn, I think Margot Robbie is perfect and she's always been one of my favorite characters. Interested to see Leto's Joker too, Ledger will be hard to be compared to, but I think he can do a really good (and different) take on the character.

Does this start shooting soon? In any case I'm most excited to see Viola Davis kill it as Amanda Waller. She's going to be so good! 

Yep, looking forward to it, though I admit to secretly hoping for CCH Pounder beforehand.  I'm so used to her distinctive voice in the JLU animated version, it would have been awesome to have her for the live action version. I guess she's too old (though she doesn't look it - the woman's in her 60s!)

Joel Kinnaman potentially as Rick Flagg is an interesting choice.  I think Will Smith might have been the better choice for Flagg, with Kinnaman as Deadshot. Don't really care about the others, though I assume Jai Courtney will actually get to use his native accent in an American film, heh.   

I'm cool with most of the cast with the possible exception of Will Smith as Deadshot.   The only reason I hesitate is because he and Margot Robbie are doing "Focus" together and the producers may not want to do the Deadshot/Harley dynamic, which is something I've grown to really appreciate in both the comics and the animated film that came out not to long ago.

• Love 1

So there are photos out of Jared Leto (Joker) with bleached blonde hair. I figured he'd be the type to actually dye his hair green!

I have seen said photos and he looks great. The blond hair makes him look very Bowie: Thin White Duke era. It's gotten me a bit excited for this movie.

Lots of speculation regarding the facts that a) Jared Leto and Scott Eastwood aren't in that photo, and b) Ike Barinholtz and Jim Parrack are.  Leto has already sent out this photo of himself; perhaps he or Eastwood took that cast photo (since David Ayer is in it).

Regarding the new cast members, El Mayimbe from Latino Review (questionable source, tbh) says:

RT! BREAKING SUICIDE SQUAD NEWS! SHOCKING! JOE MANGANIELLO OUT! #RUMOR JIM PARRACK IN AS DEATHSTROKE! THEY DECIDED TO GO YOUNGER WITH THE CHARACTER! IKE BARINHOLTZ IN AS DR HUGO STRANGE! ADAM BEACH AT THIS TIME PENDING FURTHER CONFIRMATION IS RUMORED AS RAVAN!

Manganiello himself has already Tweeted that not only was Deathstroke not the character he was in talks for, he wasn't replaced as he never officially signed on.

• Love 1

I heard that Jared was finishing up a gig with his band and that is why he wasn't at the first cast reading.  Considering we have seen pictures of Jared's white hair, I don't think that they are hiding him.  Scott Eastwood is still on a promotional tour for his current movie.  That is why he wasn't there.

I don't understand the speculation, both actors had prior commitments and this was just the first reading.  It's not really that unusual for an actor or two for this size cast to miss the reading for a prior commitment. 

I absolutely love Amanda Waller. She's one of my favourite characters in the DC verse. For me, C. C. H. Pounder's voice work in the animated movies is the best. She's the perfect embodiment of Amanda.

I do not like Viola. I'm not happy with the casting at all, it's very disappointing. She does not work as Amanda. I've seen her in How To get Away, and she's terrible.

I would have preferred Aisha Hinds, she is a better fit and has the better voice. Or an unknown.

I also question how much focus Amanda will get in this bloated cast. I would like her to get a good chunk of time and development, this is her squad. The story could open lines to various other Government projects, which could appear elsewhere in the franchise. But I have a feeling she'll play a bit part. Just bark orders and leave type of thing.

Edited by greenbean

I do not like Viola.  I'm not happy with the casting at all, it's very disappointing.  She does not work as Amanda.  I've seen her in How To get Away, and she's terrible.

I totally disagree. Besides How To Get Away With Murder, I've seen Viola Davis in other roles of different types and IMO she's just as great in those as she is on that show, plus she's a two-time Oscar nominee. As long as the script and direction does her and the character justice, I'm not only going to give her a chance, I think she can pull it off.

Re Jared Leto as the Joker, thumbs up.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6

Suicide Squad - you are going to be making a lot of commuters angry tonight (moreso than we usually are)

Toronto's Union Station Bus terminal Closed due to Suicide Squad filming

News in Toronto must be slow today...

Apparently it was last minute. The GO Bus terminal in located across the street from the actual train/bus station. The end fight scene in the movie X-Men (inside the train station) is Toronto's Union Station. The Bus terminal location though is across the street and mostly outside/exposed to the outside. There is nothing really special about the area, to be honest. It's newish and you know - a bus terminal. There is a set of steps that leads up to a covered much older area of the station where the trains come in. For some reason I like that area/it has character. I wonder if they are actually going to use our ugly green GO buses in the movie.

• Love 2

I would think she has to do that voice; that's essentially the only voice the character has ever had that I know of (are there non-Dini movies where someone else played her?)  Of course those hotpants could help push her voice up an octave as well.

I've seen arguments elsewhere that the off-the-rack look of the costumes could be a result of their just getting let out of prison for this, and not given a chance to go to the Mad Hatter's or whoever is the official supervillain tailor to get their special duds.

Looking at the left-hand pic above, is Slipknot now being played by Johnny Damon?

• Love 1