Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers & Speculation: Running Hot & Cold

• Start Topic

I do think Constantine respects Sara he knows what she's capable of. I don't know if it's enough respect to follow her lead and not do his own thing, which is what Rip liked to do. I'm still hoping his regular status is more like 6 episodes and they just wanted Matt Ryan locked down for next season. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

I'm starting to think there are 3 types of totem bearers.
1) Those from a particular lineage, like Amaya, Kuasa and Zari

2) Those who learn to activate and wield it, like Nora and presumably Nate later

3) Those specifically born to be a bearer. I would put Sara and Mick in that category.

Nora told Sara that she was born to wield the Death totem, and I think it's not just a recruitment line. What if all those times Sara died and came back, and how interconnected she is to death (of her own, of her loved ones, death she caused) is because she was born to be the Death totem bearer? Just like how fascinated Mick was with fire since young (though maybe he inherited that love of fire from his dad...). It's not because Sara and Mick know Death and Fire that make them suitable totem bearers, but it's because they are totem bearers that made them so familiar with Death and Fire.

Though I'm wondering how Sara can wield the Death totem without becoming Death Witch again since she still has the power of Mallus in her.

• Love 2

I wonder if they'll explain why the early anachronisms were tied to the Legends and their ancestors.   They seemed to drop that plot point midseason and switched gears to the Darhks creating the anachronisms.    

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Maverick said:

I wonder if they'll explain why the early anachronisms were tied to the Legends and their ancestors.   They seemed to drop that plot point midseason and switched gears to the Darhks creating the anachronisms.    

Maybe that explains it? The Darkhs were just messing with them by creating anachronisms related to them - and side bonus, if they mess up in the past they're erased from the future. Would be nice to have an on-screen explanation but since I don't think we'll get one with how busy the finale is shaping up to be, I'm going to assume you provided the explanation!
(A shame though, when they were so good with the Chronos thing coming back around at the end.)

• Love 1

It seems like we are getting all of this season's anachronisms in the finale, either fighting for or against Mallus. I wonder if we'll see Gumball (and maybe Mama!Dominator) fighting with the Legends. I want to see Captain Lance lead Beebo and Gumball into battle with her Braveheart speech.

• Love 2

With Constantine and Ava promoted to regulars for Season 4, does anyone think we might get another newer regular as well or will it just be them?

Actually hoping Gary survives the finale too. And I want to see Damien and Constantine share a scene too.

5 hours ago, lurker22 said:

I wonder if we'll see Gumball (and maybe Mama!Dominator) fighting with the Legends. I want to see Captain Lance lead Beebo and Gumball into battle with her Braveheart speech.

Honest to Beebo if we don' t see that now I am going to be very disappointed 

• Love 4

@JJ928 posted this in the Mind Your Surroundings thread:

Legends of Tomorrow boss previews epic ultimate showdown

The ultimate showdown between Mallus and the Legends of Tomorrow is upon us.

During Monday’s season finale of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, the team’s plan to vanquish Mallus (John Noble) with the totems go awry, so they seek refuge in the Wild West, where they cross paths with Jonah Hex (Johnathon Schaech). But he’s far from the only familiar face we’ll see in the finale, as many of the characters we’ve met over the season will pop up to help (or hurt) the Legends — Beebo (Ben Diskin), Jax (Franz Drameh), and Constantine (Matt Ryan) included!

Will the Legends be able to take down Mallus once and for all? Will Sara (Caity Lotz) finally get her revenge on Damien Darhk (Neal McDonough)? EW turned to executive producer Phil Klemmer to get the scoop.

I'm sure it will surprise no one that I'm not thrilled about this part....

What can you tease of this season’s cliffhanger?
Well, everybody knows about Matt Ryan at this point. It’s sort of a doubling down on the genres and worlds and motifs of the supernatural that we’ve dabbled in since early on in the season with Victorian London and obviously the Constantine episode. We really thought that the darker worlds that we explored like actually weirdly worked with the lighter tone of the show. You can still have comedy and fun character stuff even if you’re doing effectively a monster story of the week. We want to do more of those. Obviously our show will always be about history and fixing it, but having the ability to also do supernatural genre stories is incredibly liberating. I think we want to open the door in season 4 to doing more of those. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

@JJ928 posted this in the Mind Your Surroundings thread:

Legends of Tomorrow boss previews epic ultimate showdown

Welp! I should have checked elsewhere, I just posted this to the media thread.

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I'm sure it will surprise no one that I'm not thrilled about this part....

I wasn't too thrilled with the 'monster of the week' part either. Also, the whole Damian redemption--ugh!

• Love 1

Don't get too used to the status quo yet: according to DC's Legends of Tomorrow executive producer Phil Klemmer, the series and the team will both look different when season four starts up than they do right now.

During a conversation with ComicBook.com about next week's season finale, Klemmer promised that just because the show is earning better reviews and more fan enthusiasm than ever before does not mean he plans to take the safe route.

"We're certainly doing something that would be on par with the seismic upheavals of previous seasons, for sure," Klemmer said. "Which is really a dumb thing for us to do when we have a show that everybody likes and agrees has found its niche: 'Let's totally mix it up!' I certainly think it makes it more interesting for us as writers, and I think it makes things more fun for our cast as well. The conceit will change and the makeup of Legends will change."

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/05/legends-of-tomorrow-ep-promises-seismic-upheavals-in-season-3-fi/

We already know Constantine and Ava are made regulars, and Wally has just joined the team. Is the team lineup going to change again? Are we losing more people, like Nate and Amaya?

I'm nervous about the writers changing the conceit of the show.

• Love 3

That makes me nervous too, but on the other hand, didn't last year he compare this season to Game of Thrones, in that no one would be safe?  Unless he's planning a major bloodbath for the finale, that turned out to be rather overstated.  So maybe this will be too *crosses fingers*.  

I'm not happy about the supernatural emphasis though - not at all. 

• Love 1

Re-reading that....he says it's something "on par with the seismic upheavals of previous seasons".   So about the same as what we've dealt with in the past.   I wouldn't call those "seismic upheavals", but if it's no worse than what we've dealt with before, I think I'll be ok.  I don't want to lose Sara, Ray, Mick, or Zari.  Those have become the main four for me. As long as we keep those four, I'm good.

I've already prepared myself to lose Nate and Amaya, whether they actually end up leaving or not.  And I'm not really attached to Wally either way, though I can't imagine him leaving so soon after joining.

The main thing that does worry me is this supernatural thing.  I'd rather not see the team turn into the Time Traveling Demon Hunters.  If I wanted to watch Supernatural, I'd be watching Supernatural.   Please don't go down this road, writers. :(

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

The main thing that does worry me is this supernatural thing.  I'd rather not see the team turn into the Time Traveling Demon Hunters.  If I wanted to watch Supernatural, I'd be watching Supernatural.   Please don't go down this road, writers. :(

I don't think that's what will happen.  LoT isn't a "formula" show like Arrow, The Flash or Supergirl with the skilled human, super-powered person or alien of the week.  Lot takes all those elements, adds magic and time travel, tosses it all in a blender and hits puree' while forgetting to put the top on the blender.  "The Legends must deal with government agents and an angry Dominator in the 1980s" is a reasonable description of the plot of "Phone Home" but it doesn't come close to conveying the sheer awesomeness of that episode;.  So, while we might getting a very general idea of what Season 4 will be about, I trust the writers and showrunners to make it great - like they've been doing for the past two seasons.

• Love 4

Yeah, I'm with @johntfs. The writers earned some trust this year with, assuming they stick the landing, what I'm prepared to call the very best season of the entire Arrowverse.

Which is is not the same thing as expecting them to outdo this season next year. Hell, I don't know if this season can be outdone. I'll be happy if I enjoy Season 4 as much as I enjoyed Season 2.

• Love 1

I wouldn't mind if LoT went more like Warehouse 13 then Supernatural , where they chased after mystical artifacts throughout time. instead of having more demons. I mean we've already has some mystical artifacts, the Totems, the Spear of Destiny and whatever Darkh had on Arrow. I'm sure there are tons more, like Dr. Fate's helmet. Constantine's magical abilities and knowledge would help with that. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

I wouldn't mind if LoT went more like Warehouse 13 then Supernatural , where they chased after mystical artifacts throughout time. instead of having more demons. I mean we've already has some mystical artifacts, the Totems, the Spear of Destiny and whatever Darkh had on Arrow. I'm sure there are tons more, like Dr. Fate's helmet. Constantine's magical abilities and knowledge would help with that. 

Yeah I would be fine with that.  I'm just not into the demon-hunting, and I hope they don't go that direction.

Yes, they've earned some trust, and I'm not going to run away screaming before I see how they handle it, but I'm still concerned.  I wasn't a fan of "Daddy Darhkest", and while Constantine's second     episode was lighter, I'm concerned about what PK is saying about the "darker worlds."  I just am not at all interested in exploring the darker occult side of the comics.  I know it's there, and for those that enjoy it, great.  But it is not for me, and I'd just as soon this show stay away from it.  

Add to that....I actually have not been enjoying this season quite as much as season two.  Up until the midseason break, I would have said yes, absolutely, but there's been several episodes in this second half that I don't care if I ever see again, and that's unusual for me with this show.  So that adds to my unease somewhat.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Add to that....I actually have not been enjoying this season quite as much as season two.  Up until the midseason break, I would have said yes, absolutely, but there's been several episodes in this second half that I don't care if I ever see again, and that's unusual for me with this show.  So that adds to my unease somewhat.

I know what you're saying. I've enjoyed Season 2 more than Season 3, so I would hate for Season 4 to diminish my love for this show even more.

• Love 1

I get enough darkness from Arrow; I don't need Legends to turn uber dark with demons and occult stuff. I signed up for a fun time traveling ensemble show. The most I expected was the cast to be changed to an extent every season so we got new characters (besides Sara, Ray, and Mick). I haven't considered season 3 a favourite of mine yet; as much as I found season 2 to be a bit of a mess at times, it still might be my favourite season. There's just been too much magic stuff this season and I have zero interest in the totems now. I found 3A to be stronger than 3B. 

Season 4 doesn't sound very fun at all, which means Legends may go back to me not watching live. Again, depending on what they've been saying in interviews is actually what they're planning for season 4.

I, too, would much rather season 4 was them chasing magical artifacts and objects throughout time, if we're getting Constantine as a permanent Legend, rather than his demon and occult side. I know we're likely not losing the time travel aspect, but I fear it turns into a more boring version of time travel, where they keep fighting demons. 

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, johntfs said:

Lot takes all those elements, adds magic and time travel, tosses it all in a blender and hits puree' while forgetting to put the top on the blender. 

Ha! This is the best description of this show I've seen.

5 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I wouldn't mind if LoT went more like Warehouse 13 then Supernatural , where they chased after mystical artifacts throughout time. instead of having more demons.

Same here. Especially now that Librarians is done, tv needs a crazy artifact-hunting show.

4 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Yes, they've earned some trust, and I'm not going to run away screaming before I see how they handle it, but I'm still concerned.

I just am not at all interested in exploring the darker occult side of the comics.  I know it's there, and for those that enjoy it, great.  But it is not for me, and I'd just as soon this show stay away from it.

I would agree that TPTB have definitely earned some trust over the past three years. But shows I really like tend to either get cancelled or take the fast train to Suckville, so I am always going to worry. Hopefully a year from now will find me posting "Season 4 has been the best season yet! I don't know why I ever doubted this show!" But like Starfish, Constantine and the darkness that seems to be his style just isn't my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I get enough darkness from Arrow every other show on TV; I don't need Legends to turn uber dark with demons and occult stuff. I signed up for a fun time traveling ensemble show.

I found 3A to be stronger than 3B.

Legends really is a bright spot in the current climate of "dark and gritty" and I too would hate to see that lost with a shift towards accommodating Constantine and his ensuing darkness.

For me, I found 3A more consistent than 3B - apart from 3.2, every ep in 3A was a blast that I'd happily rewatch over and over (with the exception of a certain heartbreaking crossover ep *sniff*) 3B still has some gems (Zari's time loop and the Dread Pirate Jiwe come to mind) but there are others that I don't feel the need to ever see again. Then again, the extra long hiatus for the Olympics certainly didn't help, and was out of the showrunners' hands.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Love 2

Looks like someone is definitely leaving the show in the finale.

TVLINE | Because you’ve promoted both Matt Ryan (Constantine) and Jes Macallan (Ava) as regulars for next season, does the finale pave way for any exits?
It does, it does. There’s heartbreak in the finale. A Legend leaves.

TVLINE | It could be argued that Amaya’s story, for one, has come full circle.
As far as her and Nate, I don’t know if love is made to last in the world of the Legends.

TVLINE | But at least one seat will be freed up aboard the Waverider itself…?
Yeah, yeah.

More here.

• Love 1

Also from that interview:

TVLINE | What is his [Mallus] agenda? What does he “want” most in the world?
He is a sort of bellwether of bad guys to come in Season 4. Up until this point, we’ve been dealing with earthly and historical bad guys, and we certainly had fun with all of that, but this year we dabbled in the world of the occult, through Damien Darhk and his enterprises. But you know that Constantine is coming onto the show [as a regular] next season, so we want to go deeper, we want Mallus to be used as “the tip of the iceberg.” He is not human, and we want to start playing with the idea that Earth hasn’t always belonged just to our kind.

We want to get into the world of fantastic myths and monsters a bit more. It’s kind of presumptuous for anybody to think they have ownership of this Earth or any part of it. Not to get deep into immigration metaphors, but Mallus is an ancient evil, he doesn’t understand humans and doesn’t understand why we have any claim to controlling this world of ours.

Also...

TVLINE | New photos reveal that Franz Drameh is back for the finale, as Jax. What do you want to say about that encore?
You might have noticed that we’ve included a number of family members of our regular cast on the show as guest stars — like Brandon Routh’s wife Courtney Ford in the role of Nora Darhk, and the guest appearance of Maisie Richardson-Sellers’ mother Joy Richardson as Amaya’s vision quest ancestor. So if you look very closely, you’ll notice that the finale doesn’t just include Franz Drameh but a brief cameo of someone related to him.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

So if you look very closely, you’ll notice that the finale doesn’t just include Franz Drameh but a brief cameo of someone related to him.

I'm calling it. Franz's baby will cameo as Amaya (and Nate's?) daughter Esi.

If only one Legend leaves, it's gotta be Amaya, right? I still think they might both leave, but yeah, if it's just one, there's no way Nate will leave (i.e. die, because where else would he go?) and Amaya will just stay on the Waverider without him and without fulfilling her destiny. I could, however see Nate dying and an already pregnant Amaya returning to Zambezi. But Amaya going back and Nate staying on the Waverider with his buddy Wally? I can see that.

• Love 1

I thought that maybe Amaya would fulfill her prophecy, but I also wonder if it's too obvious if her future actually comes true and if Nate would actually let her leave. Part of me wondered if maybe Nate would go with her, saying "screw it" to the future. But if only one is leaving, Amaya is the most logical choice. 

But why would Nate not go with her? Would he really respect her wishes and let her fulfill her future? I wondered why he let her go when older Amaya was talking to Nate about erasing her memories. But yeah, I'd think that he would have to die in order to let it happen. Which frees up two spots on the Waverider, which means it's open to at least one permanent spot for a new character. Constantine won't be quartered on the Waverider full time, it sounds like, and I'm feeling pretty certain that Ava sticks with running the Time Bureau. 

• Love 1

In story it makes sense for Amaya to leave to fulfill her destiny.  In the real world it looks crappy if you drop her and swap in two white people even though it's likely Ava and Constantine will be more like Mick and Wally - side characters who will occasionally get the focus but mostly stay out of the way.

9 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

In story it makes sense for Amaya to leave to fulfill her destiny.  In the real world it looks crappy if you drop her and swap in two white people even though it's likely Ava and Constantine will be more like Mick and Wally - side characters who will occasionally get the focus but mostly stay out of the way.

Given the way this show likes to twist things, we might see something where the Legends sneak into Vancouver and create a clone of Amaya with memories up to 1942 and drop her off in Zambezie to fulfill Amaya's destiny so Amaya can be with Nate.  Except Nate will get killed in the confrontation with Mallus but Amaya will stay with the Legends anyway, giving her totem to her clone and keeping Nate's Earth totem to honor him and keep fighting for justice and souvenirs.

1 hour ago, johntfs said:

Given the way this show likes to twist things, we might see something where the Legends sneak into Vancouver and create a clone of Amaya with memories up to 1942 and drop her off in Zambezie to fulfill Amaya's destiny so Amaya can be with Nate.  Except Nate will get killed in the confrontation with Mallus but Amaya will stay with the Legends anyway, giving her totem to her clone and keeping Nate's Earth totem to honor him and keep fighting for justice and souvenirs.

But can the clone carry a baby to term and give birth to it? Are Esi, Kuasa and Mari part clone then? I don't see real Amaya giving birth to Esi and then just leaving her with a clone.

3 hours ago, lurker22 said:

But can the clone carry a baby to term and give birth to it? Are Esi, Kuasa and Mari part clone then? I don't see real Amaya giving birth to Esi and then just leaving her with a clone.

I don't see why not.  As long as all the parts are in place and functioning, Amaya 2.0 should have no problem bearing children.  As far as we've been shown, Ava (and all the other Avas) are still human beings physically.  Esi, Kuasa and Mari would be part Amaya, because the clone would be that of Amaya.  It just strikes me that they wouldn't have shown us "Checkov's" cloning and memory technology if it wasn't also going to be important in the end. 

On 4/7/2018 at 9:02 AM, Sakura12 said:

I'm sure there are tons more, like Dr. Fate's helmet. Constantine's magical abilities and knowledge would help with that. 

The Helm of Nabu was actually seen in Constantine's old mill residence in his series.

Personally, I'm all in for the supernatural stuff in S4 if it means we get to see some of DC's mystical characters, like Dr. Fate, the Spectre or Jason Blood / The Demon.  Or even someone cheap like Doctor Occult, the oldest character DC has, predating even Superman.

(edited)

In a BTS at a con today, Caity says to Maisie, "Maybe your new character". Is this a spoiler? I can't link to the exact spot on my tablet but it's about 3.31 into the video? I can barely hear what is being said with all of noise so I can't tell what the conversation is about. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tarotx said:

In a BTS at a con today, Caity says to Maisie, "Maybe your new character". Is this a spoiler? I can't link to the exact spot on my tablet but it's about 3.31 into the video? I can barely hear what is being said with all of noise so I can't tell what the conversation is about. 

I can't be entirely sure, but I think Caity and Maisie mentioned Vixen right before the "new character" line? And I can't quite tell if she said "your" or "a" new character. I wonder if, even if Amaya leaves the show, if they'll bring her back to replace Megalyn for the live action version of Mari. I think Legends has wanted to bring on Mari in some capacity and I can't imagine they're pleased with Megalyn choosing not to come back as Mari. Though, maybe Caity's just joking around about Maisie playing own her granddaughter. 

Either way, it's hard to tell what Maisie was talking about exactly. I turned up my volume as loud as I could but the hallway that they're walking in has an echo. 

I don't know if that's what she said, but it's an interesting idea.   If they want to keep Maisie but resolve the Amaya issue, having her play one of her descendants might be one way to handle it. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I don't know if that's what she said, but it's an interesting idea.   If they want to keep Maisie but resolve the Amaya issue, having her play one of her descendants might be one way to handle it. 

Agreed. It would permanently fix the Zambezi problem, and it would allow for Nate to leave (since he truly loves Amaya and I don't think he'd go for that classic trope of "oh now I'm in love with my girlfriend's great-granddaughter who looks exactly like her") so we would lose that one Legend. That's a solution I hadn't thought of. I like it.

But now I'm thinking, what if the writers said "a Legend is leaving" and they meant Amaya, but not Maisie herself? Wordplay? But nah, with so many new regulars, I think we're bound to lose an actor in this finale. And I'll be genuinely sad about it, since I do like them all this season.

I haven't listened to the video, but why are people assuming it's a character on Legends and not a new job opportunity? It would still be a slip up whether it pertained to a role on Legends or elsewhere.

I'm actually fine with Nate or Amaya leaving. I found their scenes repetitive and the whole Zambesi/totem thing never really interested me. Having said that, it's going to bother me if the Zambesi thing isn't resolved in a believable way (though, that's probably already impossible to do--a whole village survived that shouldn't have).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Solace247 said:

I haven't listened to the video, but why are people assuming it's a character on Legends and not a new job opportunity? It would still be a slip up whether it pertained to a role on Legends or elsewhere.

I'm actually fine with Nate or Amaya leaving. I found their scenes repetitive and the whole Zambesi/totem thing never really interested me. Having said that, it's going to bother me if the Zambesi thing isn't resolved in a believable way (though, that's probably already impossible to do--a whole village survived that shouldn't have).

Because they were talking about finding out there was a Vixen Lance ship or people shipping it. That much I could hear. 

2 hours ago, tarotx said:

Because they were talking about finding out there was a Vixen Lance ship or people shipping it. That much I could hear. 

LoT is one of the rare shows where I'm pretty much cool with anybody with anybody.  I don't really see Sara and Amaya (or Sara and Mari) but frak it.  I believe if they wanted to, the writers could sell it.  Same deal with, say, Mick and Ray.  As far as I've seen Mick and Ray are two heterosexual males, but if the show went there, I'd trust them to bring it home. 

• Love 5

If they want to keep her and her character, maybe she will show up on Black Lighting as that Earth's Vixen (mystical totems would fit in fine on that show.  We know Vixen exists there, although it's not clear if she's real or fictional. Or maybe they bring her in as her Supergirl Earth doppelganger.  She could be introduced during the crossover.  

Yay. I basically assumed all along that Amaya would probably leave at the end of this season, but I knew when I saw the Wild Wild West video that I wasn't quite ready for the Caity/Maisie/Tala troika to be split up just yet.

ETA: I wonder if they'll make the new character British just so Maisie can use her real accent. Plus it'd help set her apart from Amaya.

Edited by PhoneCop
Bonus thought!
  • Love 5

I am really hoping that, because we haven't seen an exit interview from Arthur Darvill like we did with Franz, that Rip isn't just gone-gone. I know the finale had his departure as fairly definite (a hero's sacrifice, a montage of him forming the Legends, a reminder about his wife and son, the goodbyes), but I'd like to believe he can come back in some capacity. 

I know, I know, it could be a lost cause.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, johntfs said:

LoT is one of the rare shows where I'm pretty much cool with anybody with anybody.  I don't really see Sara and Amaya (or Sara and Mari) but frak it.  I believe if they wanted to, the writers could sell it.  Same deal with, say, Mick and Ray.  As far as I've seen Mick and Ray are two heterosexual males, but if the show went there, I'd trust them to bring it home. 

I just want to say I love you. Platonically, but still.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I am really hoping that, because we haven't seen an exit interview from Arthur Darvill like we did with Franz, that Rip isn't just gone-gone. I know the finale had his departure as fairly definite (a hero's sacrifice, a montage of him forming the Legends, a reminder about his wife and son, the goodbyes), but I'd like to believe he can come back in some capacity. 

I know, I know, it could be a lost cause.

Arthur Darvill is such a fantastic actor and Rip Hunter has such a presence on the show. I can't imagine not even having him in small doses going forward. It's just really depressing.

Edited to add, Klemmer comments on AD:

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/09/rip-hunter-dies-legends-of-tomorrow-season-3-finale/

"I will say that our love for Arthur Darvill exceeds our need for his character," series executive producer Phil Klemmer told ComicBook.com this week. "Our reinvention of him last season was...we just felt we owed him a chance to do something different than what he had done season one. I totally agree that he set things in motion and hopefully his appearance in the finale will ... His appearances in the show, I think he was a reminder of just how far the Legends have come since the premiere."

Edited by Proteus
  • Love 2