Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: At The Lunchbox

SPLAIN

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show -- a social thread and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new threads for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I pinned a post at the top reminding what "Small Talk" is - basically it's off topic discussions and conversations.  Please make sure to discuss the show in the appropriate topic threads here.  Page up for more clarification.  Feel free to PM a mod or post in the Questions forum with any questions.

5 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And every night (and day, for that matter).

I agree but some cats are used to going out and it's next to impossible to keep them in. Both of mine are indoor only but I've had some in the past that simply wouldn't have it.

It's totally, completely possible to keep cats inside, it's just that most people don't want to put in the work to make them indoor cats. When the cats start making noise to go out, people would rather let them out than deal with the noise.  I've turned formerly feral cats into indoor cats. It just takes work and patience but it's worth it because it's so much better for the cat. 

• Love 3

Someone always had to be home to adopt? That's craziness. The only time our rescue ever made that type of requirement was for a dog with SEVERE seperation anxiety. As in, "would destroy your home" and necessitated the rescue buying an $800 indestructable dog crate to house that particular dog.  It looked like a damn prison cell.  But the "can never be home alone"  was never a REQUIREMENT. People have to go out sometimes, for chrissakes. But they wanted an adopter where someone was a work from home type. This dog ate drywall if left alone.  Marley on steroids. It took awhile, but the dog eventually got adopted, despite her issues. She was at the shelter for two years, though. 

That sounds ridiculous. They'd never be able to make ends meet for the rescue if they put those type of restrictions. And a FIVE page application? Also weird. Our's is two pages. Just the standard stuff. Name, address, references, name of vet.  But they do call the vet, and the references, and do a personal yard check.  Because people LIE.   Don't let one bad experience at a particularly anal rescue stop you from adopting a pet. 

• Love 4
On 4/11/2018 at 7:02 AM, Ina123 said:

Even though I know some animal rescue groups have crazy rules, denying Jackie the dog for that reason was just ridiculous. It's not like she is 90 and has dementia. I adopted my rescue 8 years ago. I was presented with a 5 page contract with questions that felt like a colonoscopy. It really did invade my privacy. I refused to answer 5 of their questions and wouldn't sign it. A friend of mine actually had fostered my dog and I asked her to put in a good word for me. On her word, they let me have my 80 lb mutt. So, even though the rules are there to protect the animal, I think some of the restrictions are overboard. I know there must be good people out there who don't want to jump through the hoops and are denied a dog or cat, some for good reasons. But it's a shame to think of them missing out on a forever home because of paper work. My Roxy is the sweetest and most gentle creature I've ever known.

This is why I am an outspoken critic of pet rescue and why I liked this story.  While I am trying to do a service (give a forever home to an animal), I get treated like a supplicant.  It's all the rigor of interviewing for a job.  Pet rescues frame themselves as a noble cause, when really they're just animal hoarders.  I got lucky with my first cat and bought him for $15 off Craigslist.  My second cat, I bought at a pet store.  Both cats are young so it will be a long time before I get any more cats, but when I do, the kitty will definitely NOT be a rescue.

• Love 3

Not to get too far off-topic, but I had a friend who was refused a dog because she lived in an apartment. She works from home, so she's around all day to walk a pet and she lives next door to a huge park, and they still said no. I could understand not wanting to adopt out a high-energy working breed to someone with no yard, but they wouldn't even allow her to take a senior dog or a small breed. My sister was refused a cat from an animal shelter because she wouldn't make it strictly indoor. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Why? Would you want to spend your entire life cooped up in a house?

1) Dangerous wildlife  2) Disease  3) F*cked up humans  for starters.

https://www.thespruce.com/keep-cats-indoors-555124

These are domesticated animals, not panthers, tigers, etc.  They do not have an inherent need to roam the wild by the time they're bred down to a domestic feline.

Sorry, I'm done.  Happy to discuss in the above-mentioned forum thread.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

1) Dangerous wildlife  2) Disease  3) F*cked up humans  for starters.

https://www.thespruce.com/keep-cats-indoors-555124

These are domesticated animals, not panthers, tigers, etc.  They do not have an inherent need to roam the wild by the time they're bred down to a domestic feline.

Sorry, I'm done.  Happy to discuss in the above-mentioned forum thread.

Agree completely.  I adopted a cat who lived to be 17 years old - indoor only.  Not sick at all until the very end when he got cancer.  Perfectly happy and well-cared for.

Neighbor had indoor/outdoor cat.  Lived to be 6.   Cat fights, illnesses, hit by car, thousands and thousands in vet bills.  I'd never have an outdoor cat.  If nothing else, I couldn't afford the inevitable vet bills.  It's also illegal where I live to have an outdoor cat.

• Love 5

Taking adopting pets discussion from latest episode thread. I had a cat who lived to be almost 19 years old. She was mostly an indoor cat, but she did like to room around outside at times until she got older. Our cats were not let outside until they were spayed or neutered because we did not want kittens running over the house. Sometimes my cats would get in minor disagreement with other cats or some of the neighborhood dogs, but they were fine. My husband and I kept a close eye on our cats when they went outside. They were not allowed out at night or allowed to go out in nasty weather. We had cats who live to old age (except for our male cat Ace who died at the age of 9 after the poor little guy's kidneys shut down, but still nine years is good for a cat.) Smokey lived to almost 19 years, and Tia died last September at the age of 14. Sadly old age caught up to the both of them. Sassy is 6 1/2 years old, and she does like to go outside. She does like to visit or play with the other cats in the neighborhood, but no fighting (just some growling and hissing.) She is not allowed outside at night, and she will not go outside when the weather is bad.

When I was a kid it was the norm to have indoor/outdoor cats. Eventually all of our cats were killed either by dogs, coyotes or cars. I will never have another cat that goes outside. We have a male cat that we used to take out with a leash and harness but after we got the little female we stopped doing that because she would go berserk when she saw what we were doing.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

When I was a kid it was the norm to have indoor/outdoor cats. Eventually all of our cats were killed either by dogs, coyotes or cars. I will never have another cat that goes outside. We have a male cat that we used to take out with a leash and harness but after we got the little female we stopped doing that because she would go berserk when she saw what we were doing.

The same thing happened with the cats we had when I was growing up. Some probably ran away or were killed. Broke my heart. I made a promise to myself I would take much better care of my cats when I got older. I may not be the best pet owner on the planet, but my cats are loved and taken care of.

Does it depend on the state about cats illegally  roaming outside? Bc I see them all the time. IS it illegal for the cats' safety or for other reasons?  I presume these local cats are fed yet they come and kill the birds and squirrels I feed 

29 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Does it depend on the state about cats illegally  roaming outside? Bc I see them all the time. IS it illegal for the cats' safety or for other reasons?  I presume these local cats are fed yet they come and kill the birds and squirrels I feed 

There are feral colonies everywhere, in varying numbers.  There are lots of people that feed feral colonies. There are TNR (trap-neuter-release) groups that try to get them spayed/neutered for obvious reasons.  Some feral cats can be eventually brought into a home, and will tame.  Others - no bueno.  One female cat can produce upwards of 100 kittens in her 'productive' lifespan.  It's a huge, huge, problem.

• Love 3

That's true. Our tortie's mother was feral and she was caught in a TNR and could not be domesticated but all of her kittens could. I think that has something to do with why she has no interest in going outside. She's seen some shit.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's true. Our tortie's mother was feral and she was caught in a TNR and could not be domesticated but all of her kittens could. I think that has something to do with why she has no interest in going outside. She's seen some shit.

One of my girls was a stray that we took in when she was somewhere between 10-12 months old.  She was flea-ridden, but the sweetest cat I have ever known, and showed zero interest in ever going out again.  She knew what lurked outside of that patio door.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

References?    Personal home visit?  They aren't applying for a job.  They're trying to do you a favor.  A person who wants a dog could easily distill it to a simple monetary transaction at a pet store in lieu of getting the third degree from you.

This is why I found the dog rescue storyline particularly believable.  That's the way animal rescue organizations are. 

It sounds like you've had some bad experiences that have shaped your feelings about rescues.  I'm sorry for that.  But please know that there are many well-intentioned, well-run rescues that do operate with common sense.  I volunteer for one of them.  And I know of many others in my area.  I'm sure there are also many others throughout the country.  The last thing I would want someone to do, is give money to a pet store for an animal when (and I know this is a phrase you've heard before) the shelters are spilling over with animals in need of homes.  The only thing shopping at a pet store does, is put more money into the puppy mills that supply those pet stores with animals.

*Stepping off my soap box now.* 

• Love 3

We were asked a few questions and had to promise not to declaw and keep them inside but there was never anything as intrusive as a home inspection or anything like that. They were extremely nice to us. When we decided to get a second cat, I called and asked if they had any brown tabby females. They said they did so we went over that evening and not only did they have the cats I asked about, they had brought a couple over from their other shelter for me to meet. But then I saw a tiny kitten who looked like she had been in an explosion in a paint factory and I fell in love. They were still just as nice about letting me take her instead. We had a great experience.

I've always adopted mine from City run shelters.  I do this in part because they are kill shelters and I know the animals could end up euthanized if not adopted and in part because I don't want to jump through the hoops some of the other kinds of shelters have asked.  I do sometimes wonder if people's cavalier attitude about giving up animals isn't due to the proliferation of no-kill shelters.  When I adopted my first dog from the animal shelter I could hear a conversation between the shelter worker and the person on the phone:

SW: Ma'am it's $27 to surrender your cat. We will do our best to ensure it finds a good home but we can't make any promises.

SW: Ma'am We will do our best to make sure it gets adopted, but we can't make any promises...

SW:  Ma'am what do you THINK that means? We cannot guarantee that your pet will be adopted. 

I like to think that the person considering giving up her cat reconsidered because she didn't want it to possibly be put down if it couldn't find a home.  I turned in a found dog to a shelter and cried like a baby about turning it in because I knew what the possibility was.  It wasn't chipped. I already had 2 large dogs - one of which was not going to tolerate this interloper. I couldn't have kept it.  

• Love 1
On 4/12/2018 at 11:08 PM, Rap541 said:

Someone like Jackie - let's call her sixty one - a really well kept and clearly healthy senior woman with a home with a yard and no abject poverty issues wanting to adopt a small mixed breed dog that is not a puppy? They aren't going to say no to that. They *certainly* aren't going to say "you're too old" because thats a)pretty damn rude and b) just asking for a lawsuit.

Unfortunately, I think it depends what facility you go to. I volunteered for years at the main intake animal shelter in my large city, and we would have been absolutely delighted to have a potential adopter like Jackie come in. For all the reasons you mentioned, she’d be a very quick approval. Seriously, we would have handed her ALL the dogs. Stability is HUGE and harder to find in potential adopters than one might think.  

However, I have a coworker who volunteers with a very, very small private rescue. They’re so picky they don’t even adopt out one dog a week. She talks about how they look for reasons to turn people down. I know without a doubt that they’d deny Jackie in a heartbeat because she doesn’t have a fenced in yard, which they require for every dog they adopt out. Assuming Jackie still works at least part time, that would be another black mark because the dog would be alone for at least 8 (or however many) hours every weekday. The woman who runs the rescue always has between 12-15 homeless, adoptable dogs in her house at any given time because they turn down a crazy amount of applications. I’m not exaggerating in the slightest. 

• Love 2
On 4/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, RayAdverb said:
On 4/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, RayAdverb said:

References?    Personal home visit?  They aren't applying for a job.  They're trying to do you a favor.  A person who wants a dog could easily distill it to a simple monetary transaction at a pet store in lieu of getting the third degree from you.

This is why I found the dog rescue storyline particularly believable.  That's the way animal rescue organizations are. 

Holy shit? Really? No. That's not how they all are. A GOOD rescue vets potential adopters to some degree. A rescue pours money, obtained by donations and from adoption fees,  into every animal. Food, vetting, immunizations, microchipping. Medical procedures in the thousands for animals that come in with injuries and illness, plus spaying and neutering every animal.  Do you know how many pets get RETURNED because even our measly two page application and vet checks weren't enough, and the dog or cat we adopted out, ends up abandoned at another facility in horrible shape? I go in every week and see the same animals, waiting for homes. GOOD HOMES. They get to love and depend on us and we love them. Why wouldn't the rescue want to make sure that they are going to a home that will take proper care of them?  Jesus.  I think we need to stop this conversation, because degrading volunteer, unpaid, non profit pet rescues to defend a television episode is going to get ugly.  Just the words "pet store" and "Craig's list" being talked about as a GOOD thing has made me craft, and then delete, many messages before this one. 

On 4/12/2018 at 11:08 PM, Rap541 said:

I do think they were trying to harp on how restrictive animal rescue places can be but here's my problems with it.

Someone like Jackie - let's call her sixty one - a really well kept and clearly healthy senior woman with a home with a yard and no abject poverty issues wanting to adopt a small mixed breed dog that is not a puppy? They aren't going to say no to that. They *certainly* aren't going to say "you're too old" because thats a)pretty damn rude and b) just asking for a lawsuit.

The second part of my gripe is that while they were turning up their noses at a fairly ideal adopter, they did actually allow Becky to adopt the dog even though she had no house and no yard and was banking on supporting the dog with the fanciful idea that she was going to get paid to have a baby. How fussy can this place be if Becky was given the dog?

Exactly. It was just unrealistic and lazy writing all around. Seniors are some of the BEST potential adopters. They're usually empty nesters and that pet becomes their child, so to speak. They also have more free time to devote to them, if they're in their 60's and approaching retirement time. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4

Holy shit? Really? No. That's not how they all are. A GOOD rescue vets potential adopters to some degree. A rescue pours money, obtained by donations and from adoption fees,  into every animal. Food, vetting, immunizations, microchipping. Medical procedures in the thousands for animals that come in with injuries and illness, plus spaying and neutering every animal.  Do you know how many pets get RETURNED because even our measly two page application and vet checks weren't enough, and the dog or cat we adopted out, ends up abandoned at another facility in horrible shape? I go in every week and see the same animals, waiting for homes. GOOD HOMES. They get to love and depend on us and we love them. Why wouldn't the rescue want to make sure that they are going to a home that will take proper care of them?  Jesus.  I think we need to stop this conversation, because degrading volunteer, unpaid, non profit pet rescues to defend a television episode is going to get ugly.  Just the words "pet store" and "Craig's list" being talked about as a GOOD thing has made me craft and then delete many messages before this one. 

Thank you, ChicksDigScars.  This is what I really wanted to say in my earlier post.  But you said it so much better, with excellent (and accurate) points made.  (Typed while a senior hospice foster kitty rests himself on my lap; an animal control confiscate case who would have been euthanized if I hadn't stepped up to foster him.)

• Love 3
On 4/12/2018 at 10:33 AM, RayAdverb said:

This is why I am an outspoken critic of pet rescue and why I liked this story.  While I am trying to do a service (give a forever home to an animal), I get treated like a supplicant.  It's all the rigor of interviewing for a job.  Pet rescues frame themselves as a noble cause, when really they're just animal hoarders.  I got lucky with my first cat and bought him for $15 off Craigslist.  My second cat, I bought at a pet store.  Both cats are young so it will be a long time before I get any more cats, but when I do, the kitty will definitely NOT be a rescue.

I'm...let's just say confused by deliberately not adopting from a rescue operation (and accusing those operations of hoarding animals--my last cat came from a hoarding situation and it took a giant toll on her, and I thank the universe for bringing her to me. Your typical rescue is nothing like a dangerous, unhealthy hoarding situation!); why would anyone not want to help an animal in need of rescue? I can't speak for the people who do it out of their homes, and I can't speak for every shelter, but the ones I am familiar with (including the one I volunteer at) want to be sure the animals go to someone who will take proper care of a living creature who will come to depend on that adopter; after all, you're not buying a plant here (and it's more important than a job interview, in my opinion). That's why precautions are taken. And pet stores do nothing but add to the problems of homeless animal populations. As far as Craigslist, I suppose that can go either way; it's a valid resource, I think, for some people trying to reach out to place a pet in a home. I just hope that those people are also doing their best to select the right people.

Holy shit? Really? No. That's not how they all are. A GOOD rescue vets potential adopters to some degree. A rescue pours money, obtained by donations and from adoption fees,  into every animal. Food, vetting, immunizations, microchipping. Medical procedures in the thousands for animals that come in with injuries and illness, plus spaying and neutering every animal.  Do you know how many pets get RETURNED because even our measly two page application and vet checks weren't enough, and the dog or cat we adopted out, ends up abandoned at another facility in horrible shape? I go in every week and see the same animals, waiting for homes. GOOD HOMES. They get to love and depend on us and we love them. Why wouldn't the rescue want to make sure that they are going to a home that will take proper care of them?  Jesus.  I think we need to stop this conversation, because degrading volunteer, unpaid, non profit pet rescues to defend a television episode is going to get ugly.  Just the words "pet store" and "Craig's list" being talked about as a GOOD thing has made me craft, and then delete, many messages before this one. 

THANK YOU.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

No, Craig's List isn't a valid resource.  It's actually against their policies to buy, sell, "rehome," trade or otherwise traffic in live animals on Craig's List.  There are people who actively watch for these posts and actively flag them, when they appear.  I would be one of those people.

Edited by CatsAndMoreCats
  • Love 2
On 5/23/2018 at 3:02 PM, TV Diva Queen said:

I loved Coach!  I wish it was on in reruns somewhere.  Great show.  

Antenna TV is showing Coach on weeknights from 9-10 pm (Central Time Zone).

11 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I have u-verse, can I get this?  Is this like real "antenna tv", without a cable box? 

Go to the link below and put your zip code in.  And yes, you might need to have an antenna hooked up to your tv for it, as many cable companies don't carry the local digital sub-channels.  Worth it to check anyway. 

https://antennatv.tv/shows/ 

• Love 2

I have Uverse and get the local Antenna TV and MeTV channels. It just depends on what area you're in. The best way to find out your viewing options is to use the channel finder as posted above

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/25/2018 at 7:36 PM, tessaray said:

Go to the link below and put your zip code in.  And yes, you might need to have an antenna hooked up to your tv for it, as many cable companies don't carry the local digital sub-channels.  Worth it to check anyway. 

https://antennatv.tv/shows/ 

thanks - I don't get it...weird, I live in Chicago too, seems like a pretty big market to not have this.

Edited by TV Diva Queen
On 5/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, TV Diva Queen said:

thanks - I don't get it...weird, I live in Chicago too, seems like a pretty big market to not have this.

I'm in Rogers Park.  Don't have cable, DO have an antenna.  For me, the Antenna Network is Channel 9.2.  HOWEVER, I can't recall seeing Roseanne on this network.