Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yet totally typical of the series, because they started fairly early on and then got hopelessly addicted to sending ER doctors (and Super!Nurse Carol) out in the field.

From the nine seasons Pop hasn't (yet?) aired, I remember, mostly in the vaguest of details, Mark dying (after Elizabeth was saddled not only with his boring ass, but his brat of a child and a new baby; there was some reconciliation in Hawaii (?) and then a moment with a balloon during the funeral limo ride for Elizabeth, Rachel, and Jen), Benton leaving and having a good final scene with Carter on a jogging path (?), Romano being stalked by helicopters, Susan returning and getting involved with some gross Donal Logue character who flew one of the helicopters, Kerry getting involved with a female firefighter, Carter's grandma dying and Mary McDonnell and Michael Gross appearing as his long-discussed but never-seen parents, Abby and Luka getting together (maybe; I'm second-guessing myself on that one now), and some new staff showing up played by Linda Cardellini, Mekhi Phifer, and Parminder Nagra -- no clue what any of them did, I just remember them existing.

My run down of later seasons is similar to yours:

1) Mark's death was some riveting TV. They did a nice job with splitting up ER reaction when they find out an then an episode on Hawaii where he dies and has some nice reconciliation with bratty Rachel

2) I loved Benton's departure scene. Carter gives him a token for the subway with a story about how Benton once gave him one after a hard day and told him to come back, so typical-Carter has a sentimental reason to give Benton one and Benton is so Benton--reacts with a "Carter, they don't use tokens anymore." it was just great writing (and line delivery) to me for Benton to be consistent and Carter to be too. If Benton had turned into Mr. Sentimental it would have been wrong

3) Susan comes back but doesn't do that much

4) I think Corday dates someone boring and then ends up deciding to go back to London

5) M. Phifer plays a good role but there is this Archy doctor (red head from Party of 5--yes, I watched that show) who is annoying and I wish they had not stuck with him so much

6) Kerry has a story line where her love interest dies and her family tries to get custody of their child. Very heart breaking when they wont' let Kerry in to see her child.  I think it works out ok later.

1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

My run down of later seasons is similar to yours:

5) M. Phifer plays a good role but there is this Archy doctor (red head from Party of 5--yes, I watched that show) who is annoying and I wish they had not stuck with him so much

Re: Archie/Scott Grimes (I watched Party of 5 too!)....I agree he was annoying in the beginning. But by the end of the series he really grew on me and ended up being one of my favorites. 

Luka and Abby did end up together but I remember they were off and on for a while. She was with Carter for a while, and he was with Samantha. But L & A ended up back together and had a son. I liked them together. 

I think Sam ended up with John Stamos' character, didn't she?

I will admit I sobbed when Mark died. And that Hawaiian version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow made me sad for a while anytime I heard it!

• Love 4

Today's BINGO is for the Cardus Obscuras players among you:

The elderly woman Susan and Benton argue over (who ends up needing surgery anyway, so Benton gets in trouble) is one of the "witnesses" from When Harry Met Sally... who says of her spouse: "And I knew.  I knew the way you know a good melon."

Yaaaahhhhtzeeeee!!!!

• Love 2

I would think that Pop decided not to play seasons 1-15 consecutively because some people weren't aware that the show was on.  Maybe they went S1-6 because they were able to show the whole tenure of Clooney/Margulies and allow discussion about the show being back on the air to build; after that, they could go S1-15 all at once.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, TAG42481 said:

I would think that Pop decided not to play seasons 1-15 consecutively because some people weren't aware that the show was on.  Maybe they went S1-6 because they were able to show the whole tenure of Clooney/Margulies and allow discussion about the show being back on the air to build; after that, they could go S1-15 all at once.

I've been suspecting that as well because of the annoying yellow banner that keeps popping up this week saying something about Clooney/Marguiles and then "See it all again from the beginning." 

7 hours ago, desertflower said:

Re: Archie/Scott Grimes (I watched Party of 5 too!)....I agree he was annoying in the beginning. But by the end of the series he really grew on me and ended up being one of my favorites. 

Luka and Abby did end up together but I remember they were off and on for a while. She was with Carter for a while, and he was with Samantha. But L & A ended up back together and had a son. I liked them together. 

I think Sam ended up with John Stamos' character, didn't she?

I will admit I sobbed when Mark died. And that Hawaiian version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow made me sad for a while anytime I heard it!

I also sobbed when Mark died. Thinking about going to my local library and see if they have the series on DVD to watch beyond season so since Pop isn't showing those yet.

Caught the epi today with Rosemary Clooney and was wondering if George went to her and said Aunt Rose you should come guest star on my new show. Loved all the singing she did on the episode.

Can't believe how much I've missed this show. I loved it so much when it was on. I know I stuck around at least till Carter left and came back for season fifteen. It's great to watch again from the start.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, TAG42481 said:

I was totally bummed when I saw Pop went back to season 1 last week.  I went to set the DVR and my level of disappointment was pretty disproportionate to the situation.  I suspect (hope) what you're saying is the case, Tag.  If not, I'll be dropping money to Amazon myself.  One, I've been enjoying my jaunt down memory lane.  ER was the first "grown up" show I ever fell in love with and it's amazing to me how I not only vividly remember some of the specifics of the show from way back when but can still actually connect them to moments in my real life that were happening at the time.  And two, I've been looking forward to the post Clooney/Margulies/Edwards years to see if the perceived drop in quality has held over time or changed with perspective.  I stuck with the show pretty much throughout but remember getting bored with it/busy around the time I hit grad school (season 10 and beyond) and it was no longer appointment viewing for me.  There are definitely episodes from the era I've either never seen or have no recollection of.  To be fair though, I still remember them being capable of a great episode/moment here and there and the NICU one and the one where Abby gives birth to Joe are up there for me.  The thing that has amazed me throughout this mini rewatch is how well the marquee moments still hold up.  I mean, when they were on it, they were on it.  You'd think that the years would have taken some of the shine off episodes like Love's Labor Lost, Hell and High Water, and All in the Family but not for me.  It's the sign of something special that I knew what was going to happen and I was still totally engaged all these years later.  Another thing is the camera work.  I remember how it was this big deal at the time but being so immature as a viewer I didn't know any different nor did I care.  And not that I'm an expert by any means now (I just like to watch TV) but I totally get it.  In the Union Station episode, there's an entire two minute long uncut sequence where Susan makes her final lap around the ER zigzagging in and out of rooms/areas all the while trauma patients, extras, and regulars, all with overlapping dialogue, are coming in and out of frame.  It's pretty remarkable how they were able to pull it off.  Even with the less elaborate moments (having one conversation end as two people walk out of frame while the camera picks up and follows another conversation of two people coming down the stairs all in one shot) I find myself thinking "Whoa.  They would just do that on the reg, huh?"  And of course, the camera work during the traumas also can't be undersold. 

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 2

I pointed this out in the Gilmore Girls thread today, and it's worth the repeat here.  Especially since most (all?) of us in this thread have co-signed something similar at one time or another.

The GG and Sex & the City threads ( to name 2) are filled with complaints about wretched character arcs or SLs, to the point where the question arises: Then why did you watch it??

But it hasn't been true here.  IIRC, gripes have been confined to one-offs (me hating Clooney's exit springs to mind) regarding these first 5 years.  

It feels joyous here, all of us getting together and cheering this series; happy to remember we were right to love it when we did.

• Love 3

1) Mark's death was some riveting TV. They did a nice job with splitting up ER reaction when they find out an then an episode on Hawaii where he dies and has some nice reconciliation with bratty Rachel

2) I loved Benton's departure scene. Carter gives him a token for the subway with a story about how Benton once gave him one after a hard day and told him to come back, so typical-Carter has a sentimental reason to give Benton one and Benton is so Benton--reacts with a "Carter, they don't use tokens anymore." it was just great writing (and line delivery) to me for Benton to be consistent and Carter to be too. If Benton had turned into Mr. Sentimental it would have been wrong

3) Susan comes back but doesn't do that much

4) I think Corday dates someone boring and then ends up deciding to go back to London

6) Kerry has a story line where her love interest dies and her family tries to get custody of their child. Very heart breaking when they wont' let Kerry in to see her child.  I think it works out ok later.

I was mixed about Mark's death. It did get to the point where I was just exhausted by it all and was glad they finally finished him off, though I was a bit sad to see him go.

Benton had a good exit.

Corday goes to London, then comes back in a season 15 episode prior to the final episode. She is interviewing one of the main characters who is looking for a new job. Turns out after moving back to London, Corday didn't feel like it was home anymore, so she came back to the US and accepted a job at Duke University.

I liked Luka and Abbey, individually and as a couple.

19 hours ago, desertflower said:

that song still gets me

9 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

.  I mean, when they were on it, they were on it.  You'd think that the years would have taken some of the shine off episodes like Love's Labor Lost, Hell and High Water, and All in the Family but not for me.  It's the sign of something special that I knew what was going to happen and I was still totally engaged all these years later.  

100% agree with this. The big episodes really hold up well.

• Love 6
(edited)

I missed this the first time POP aired the first season of ER so I am enjoying it. Over the years I've seen a lot of the episodes but I don't think I started watching regularly until season four or five (1998) or so. I really don't think I ever watched live while George Clooney was still a regular.

Like someone upghread said, this was my first adult show.  I remember the tipping point for me was when Romano got his arm chopped off by he helicopter. ER was no longer appointment TV for me. I do remember Carter going overseas though so I'm not sure where in the series that happened. 

Either way, I've been enjoying watching from the beginning!

ETA: Dr. Greene's death gutted me. I had no clue his first wife was ever such a big part of the show (season one).

Edited by Mountainair

I absolutely agree the later seasons were still capable of delivering great scenes. I think over time they have gotten lost among the stunt plots (helicopter dropping on Romano, tank plowing through ER, etc....)  I guess they felt they had to ramp up the action to get viewers but I think the true fans probably would've still tuned in for good stories and characters, even if they weren't earth shattering. But I do want to see the later seasons again to rediscover the nice moments. 

So I just watched Such Sweet Sorrow yesterday, and couldn't bring myself to erase it from the dvr. This morning I went back and watched the end again. I think I'll do that every so often when I need a pick me up. :)  Love me some Doug and Carol. 

On 6/6/2017 at 2:09 AM, Bastet said:

Yet totally typical of the series, because they started fairly early on and then got hopelessly addicted to sending ER doctors (and Super!Nurse Carol) out in the field.

From the nine seasons Pop hasn't (yet?) aired, I remember, mostly in the vaguest of details, Mark dying (after Elizabeth was saddled not only with his boring ass, but his brat of a child and a new baby; there was some reconciliation in Hawaii (?) and then a moment with a balloon during the funeral limo ride for Elizabeth, Rachel, and Jen), Benton leaving and having a good final scene with Carter on a jogging path (?), Romano being stalked by helicopters, Susan returning and getting involved with some gross Donal Logue character who flew one of the helicopters, Kerry getting involved with a female firefighter, Carter's grandma dying and Mary McDonnell and Michael Gross appearing as his long-discussed but never-seen parents, Abby and Luka getting together (maybe; I'm second-guessing myself on that one now), and some new staff showing up played by Linda Cardellini, Mekhi Phifer, and Parminder Nagra -- no clue what any of them did, I just remember them existing.

Didn't Kerry also become involved with a blond female social worker?  

Is POP skipping some episodes? I admit to watching while otherwise occupied and it taking me three hours to get through one episode (due to my children walking in the room and not wanting to scar them for life) but how did Dr. Weaver get introduced? All of a sudden everyone is glad she's taking a day off when I had no idea she was even on the show yet? Then Carter is dating the rash girl who now all of a sudden works in the ER and he's dating the blonde chick who has just cheated on him with Doug. I must have missed something.

1 hour ago, Mountainair said:

Is POP skipping some episodes?

Not during the weekday afternoons - so far, they're airing them all in order the way they did the first time around - but I don't know what schedule they're following Tuesday evenings or Saturdays; maybe those are skipping around.

Ugh, anyone else notice that during the Nightcap series promo, Jesse Tyler Ferguson yells a word rhyming with "other clucker"?

Are you kidding me?

I guess George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television" has officially gone the way of the rotary dial phone & full-service gas stations.

I'll be okay.  Give me a few minutes to collect myself.

At least Patrick's on today!!  Love him. 

3 minutes ago, voiceover said:

I think I posted this on the other thread but I discovered Patrick has had quite the voice acting career. His imdb listing is incredible. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Not during the weekday afternoons - so far, they're airing them all in order the way they did the first time around - but I don't know what schedule they're following Tuesday evenings or Saturdays; maybe those are skipping around.

Aha! Thank you! I think I'm watching some Tuesday evening episodes today. Didn't check the dates just watched them in order from my DVR. Duh! Thanks!

22 minutes ago, desertflower said:

I think I posted this on the other thread but I discovered Patrick has had quite the voice acting career. His imdb listing is incredible. 

Thanks for the head's-up!  I will follow through.

(edited)
9 hours ago, desertflower said:

But I do want to see the later seasons again to rediscover the nice moments. 

I agree.  I think in rewatch they'll seem better than they were originally given credit for.  Maybe not as epic or as consistently good as the early seasons, but not as rough as they were thought of at the time.  I think it's natural to harp on the negative as any series goes thorough its decline because it's never going to be the same as it was in the beginning.  The critical and commercial success of any show can be its own worst enemy as it ages.  Doesn't mean gems can't still be found during the back half of the series. Now that we've had time to breath it might be easier to accept those seasons for what they were as opposed to what they were not.

5 hours ago, voiceover said:

Ugh, anyone else notice that during the Nightcap series promo, Jesse Tyler Ferguson yells a word rhyming with "other clucker"?

Are you kidding me?

I guess George Carlin's "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television" has officially gone the way of the rotary dial phone & full-service gas stations.

I'll be okay.  Give me a few minutes to collect myself.

Are you sure he actually said it?  Thanks to my ER binging I've also been watching Hollywood Darlings (Do not. Judge me.) and they bleep out the money words.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's bleeped out in the promos.  I have no idea if it's also censored in the show being advertised itself, but I'd guess so; going by its syndication of ER, Pop TV is very basic cable in its sensibilities -- hints of breasts have been pixelated, and words have been muted.  Which is funny, considering this originally aired on network TV.

Edited by Bastet
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

It's bleeped out in the promos.  

Well, I sat through it 6 times, stunned & sure I'd imagined it, until #7 & 8. 

I'll pay extra-very close attention tomorrow.  Could be he said "mother" and I made the aural leap.

Orrrr...could be someone in the West Coast time zone with mischief & the override key.

But I *can't possibly have heard it*.

2 hours ago, voiceover said:

Well, I sat through it 6 times, stunned & sure I'd imagined it, until #7 & 8. 

I'll pay extra-very close attention tomorrow.  Could be he said "mother" and I made the aural leap.

Orrrr...could be someone in the West Coast time zone with mischief & the override key.

But I *can't possibly have heard it*.

It's not just you. It's very minimally bleeped, but not enough for it to still sound exactly like it to my ears. Almost as though they have the shortest of bleeps over the "u" sound and nothing more. And it seems like it runs twice an hour during the afternoon ER runs, which is frustrating when you just want to sneak in some ER viewing when your kids are otherwise occupied but still technically able to hear the TV.

(edited)

They were horrible!  Someone (Mark, I think) made one half-hearted admonition (a "settle down" type thing), but all in all it was a scene that made me profoundly sad to watch -- no, there was no point; it was totally acceptable, to the characters and to the writers, for everyone to mock her weight right in front of her, as if she was something less than a human being deserving of the most basic level of respect.  Nobody reflected on their actions, nobody learned a lesson, we certainly didn't see the impact it had on the patient to be scared and vulnerable and be greeted with ridicule rather than compassion by those she had to rely on to help her; it was just background "comedy."

Not an isolated incident. The show was criticized for it when these episodes were newly airing. I would never be able to find it, but someone wrote a post around season 6 gathering all the scenes where obese people were used for ridicule either in the eyes of the characters or seemingly through the eyes of the writer/director, and it was pretty damning. Even the actors in those roles would be directed to play the characters in a heightened, cartoonish way.  

I recall there was a patient who had just had a gastric bypass or similar surgery and ran amok, eating a ridiculous number of patient dinners and needing a reoperation as a result of the damage. The story was told in a dehumanizing rather than sympathetic way, very different from the nuance with which they dealt with people with substance abuse problems.    

Then there was a very heavy man who fell and couldn't get up, and Peter Benton looked down at him with pure disgust. The scene cut away before Benton helped him up. The person who wrote the post commented that that look from Benton made him or her (the poster) cry.  

On Mark: His admonitions were always halfhearted, weren't they? Remember when one of the paramedics was gay-bashing Yosh (calling him "bone smoker"), and Mark was just, "Now, now," when it demanded a more forceful response? But that was consistent with the character. Except for aberrations like his post-beating mean streak, he was always a go-along-to-get-along type who wanted everyone to like him, so he made a lousy authority figure. I remember several stories where he was caught between two sides (say, Kerry and Doug) and he'd have both sides believing he was with them. It was a good characterization, and I'm sure a lot of viewers regretted seeing themselves in him.   

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, jammaker said:

It's not just you. It's very minimally bleeped, but not enough for it to still sound exactly like it to my ears. Almost as though they have the shortest of bleeps over the "u" sound and nothing more. And it seems like it runs twice an hour during the afternoon ER runs, which is frustrating when you just want to sneak in some ER viewing when your kids are otherwise occupied but still technically able to hear the TV.

I'm not crazy! I'm not crazy! *weeps with gratitude*

Too bad Div was such a dick.  I like the actor, and a psych attending would have fit in.

But he was not just a bastard to his co-workers (unpleasant, but redeemable), he was nasty to his patients.  Hard to come back from that.  He was too much a burn-out case.

I was thinking that I've never known Vondie Curtis-Hall to come across as anything less than Intense Sex onscreen.  Sexy, but, uh, a little frightening.  In a good way.

Edited by voiceover
5 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

On Mark: His admonitions were always halfhearted, weren't they? Remember when one of the paramedics was gay-bashing Yosh (calling him "bone smoker"), and Mark was just, "Now, now," when it demanded a more forceful response? But that was consistent with the character. Except for aberrations like his post-beating mean streak, he was always a go-along-to-get-along type who wanted everyone to like him, so he made a lousy authority figure. I remember several stories where he was caught between two sides (say, Kerry and Doug) and he'd have both sides believing he was with them. It was a good characterization, and I'm sure a lot of viewers regretted seeing themselves in him.   

that's a very good description of Mark. I think this show did a good job with characters that were likable but not saints.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

If they don't show past season 6, people are going to get burned out quickly. It doesn't take long to cycle through 6 seasons showing 15 episodes a week, plus the cycle all day Satuday.

May not be their choice. Perhaps Pop could only afford a partial package, hence only S1-6. If they do not have the rights to the rest, they can't show those seasons. For example, Law & Order has different eras on different stations, but none of those stations play the entire series.

32 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

May not be their choice. Perhaps Pop could only afford a partial package, hence only S1-6. If they do not have the rights to the rest, they can't show those seasons. For example, Law & Order has different eras on different stations, but none of those stations play the entire series.

According to previous posters (and this article http://deadline.com/2017/04/pop-upfront-hote-date-swedish-dicks-clique-new-series-er-reruns-1202068880/), Pop does have the rights to all fifteen seasons.

(edited)
3 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

If they don't show past season 6, people are going to get burned out quickly. It doesn't take long to cycle through 6 seasons showing 15 episodes a week, plus the cycle all day Satuday.

I wish they had stuck to ten episodes a week for that very reason.  All the better to savor the eps instead of flying through them to keep the DVR status manageable.*

*if that's not the epitome of a first world problem I don't know what is

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6

Sad news: I just saw that Glenne Headley (Dr. Abby Keaton) died. I liked her interactions with Benton--I was ambivalent about her relationship with Carter.

Condolences to her family and friends.

• Love 2

Sad news: I just saw that Glenne Headley (Dr. Abby Keaton) died. I liked her interactions with Benton--I was ambivalent about her relationship with Carter.

I liked her with both. May she RIP.

• Love 3

I didn't like Dr. Keaton with Carter but liked her interactions with Benton. RIP.

I just finished season 6 episodes. The last episode is so great. I loved angry Benton showing up back at the hospital when Kovach wouldn't given him the helicopter (though I don't blame Dr K for wanting to use it for the boy but angry Benton is cool). And I've always loved how he steps up to help Carter and tell him you want to fight, fine but your ass is getting in the van.

• Love 1

Watching the ep where Kerry throws Mark under the bus, re: Romano as Chief of Staff.

There have been complaints about Mark & his management style, but I always thought that when push came to shove, he backed his people.

Kerry: not so much.

• Love 5

Okay.  I had forgotten the sequence of events here (obv missed the Pop run of the ep I mentioned above)...

So: they had to bring in the all-time heavy-hitter of doctors to bring Kerry's character back from the dead.

It took Hawkeye Pierce to resuscitate the Weaver love.  

Eh.  I respect that she didn't fuck around, and picked an icon to throw her a rope.

• Love 2

Just saw A Match Made in Heaven and this may be an unfair criticism but holy cow Abby could've handled the husband a lot better than she did. Like, a mother of five is brought in by ambulance, with four of the children in tow, of course her husband is going to make an appearance eventually; have your story straight and make sure he doesn't find out where she is. Which, again, is probably unfair because maybe there's no way for there to not be GYN in giant all-caps next to her name on the patient board thing but find a work-around.

• Love 4

Can we take a minute to talk about Mullet Nurse? I see him from time to time in the trauma room. No one ever addresses him, and we don't know his name, but I love that he looks like he took a break from his southern rock band to grab a shift as a nurse. We appreciate you, Mullet Nurse! :)

• Love 8

The Season 1 Valentine ep is one of two times I remember Benton & Ross interacting.  In this one, Doug tries to find out about the roses Peter bought his mother; the other one is after Peter loses out on the fellowship & shows up Doug during a trauma.

I like them together!  A shame it didn't happen more often.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, desertflower said:

Can we take a minute to talk about Mullet Nurse? I see him from time to time in the trauma room. No one ever addresses him, and we don't know his name, but I love that he looks like he took a break from his southern rock band to grab a shift as a nurse. We appreciate you, Mullet Nurse! :)

HA HA HA  I hope he reads these posts and feels the love.

• Love 1