Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: What's Up Doc?

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

I only have one episode left on my DVR (season 1, episode 6). After that I will have absolute certainty that I have seen every ER episode at least once. I'm kind of dreading being done! hurry up Pop and show later seasons! I've really enjoyed watching them again with this group.

(edited)
On 6/7/2017 at 8:32 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

that song still gets me

Every time I hear that Hawaiian version of "Over the Rainbow" (which is often) all I can think about is Mark's death ... I see him on the beach leaning against a palm tree.  That might not have actually been a real scene, but that's what I envision.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:08 PM, voiceover said:

At least Patrick's on today!!  Love him. 

Who's Patrick?  Did I use the correct version of who's?

Watched "Make of Two Hearts" and have a question some medically-inclined person might know the answer to.  Why did they put a baseball catcher's mask on that one patient?  Don't remember his/her problem.

Edited by slasherboy
THIS: Watching John Carter do the twist makes me smile. Bigly.
38 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Every time I hear that Hawaiian version of "Over the Rainbow" (which is often) all I can think about is Mark's death ... I see him on the beach leaning against a palm tree.  That might not have actually been a real scene, but that's what I envision.

Who's Patrick?  Did I use the correct version of who's?

Patrick was a sweet patient in season one, he was black and kind of big and was a little slow. He wore a helmet in some of his scenes. In Blizzard he played Xmas music over the intercom system. I think he helped decorate with the lights too. 

Yes, I remember Patrick now.  I think he also sang a Christmas song with Rosemary Clooney, didn't he?  They often let him sit behind the counter.  He's another one who just sort of disappeared from the show.  Thanks for the response.

I know I'm supposed to be upset with Carter for how he handled the situation with Ruby & his wife, but no matter how many times I sit through that SL, I just...can't.

I put it mostly on my dislike of Red Buttons.  I've always thought one thing all his characters had in common was a general whiny-ness.  

Sure, Carter should've been told him sooner.  But Ruby wasn't listening.  In the end, the "She's going to die!" was brutal -- and something, at this point, the man already knew -- but it might have always been the only way the news would get through.

He whined that Carter only saw Mrs R as a collection of symptoms, and not as a person.  I would've countered that, except for Jeanie, John was the only one on staff who did.  That's why he couldn't bring himself to deliver the bad news.

Eh.  Could be wrong.  But I can't stand Red Buttons, and nothing about this character did anything to change my mind.

*Sigh*. I think this was the season EVERYONE vaguely annoyed me.

• Love 6

I felt the Ruby story-line was unfair as well. Yes, Carter should have been more up front but he truly cared. And I'm not sure what Ruby really expected.

at some point Ruby shows up again and remembers Carter. Late in the run (post season 6)

• Love 1

Yeah, Ruby was too hard on Carter during that whole thing. And he tries to come apologize later and Ruby just tells him the day isn't about him. Maybe not, but you could just say thank you and move on. 

Anyone watching season 7 through dvds or other outlets? I'm at the part where Peter tries to help Kanesha (his nephew's girlfriend) and good Lord, she has got to be one of my least favorite characters of the entire series. 

Although Abby does become all consuming, I do like her in the beginning. The kiss she springs on Luka and the look of surprise on her face afterward are great. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, desertflower said:

Yeah, Ruby was too hard on Carter during that whole thing. And he tries to come apologize later and Ruby just tells him the day isn't about him. Maybe not, but you could just say thank you and move on. 

Anyone watching season 7 through dvds or other outlets? I'm at the part where Peter tries to help Kanesha (his nephew's girlfriend) and good Lord, she has got to be one of my least favorite characters of the entire series. 

the funeral scene with Ruby was really annoying . Carter gave a heartfelt apology and came all the way out there. No, he wasn't saying the day was about him.

I don't have access to season 7 (holding out hope Pop shows it at some point) and have forgotten about Kanesha. So many storyline surprises.

Quentin Tarantino directed the "Motherhood" ep (when Chloe gives birth).  I remember the big ad push on this.  Take out all the tight close-ups, the whole gross-out of the iron bar removal, and the shot of Susan & Carol in sunglasses, and it could have been anybody.  Proof that the show concept was so strong, it was pretty much director-proof.  And I don't write that as a Tarantino knock.

This is probably mean of me, but...anyone else roll their eyes a bit when Little Susie was born perfect?  The series never showed Chloe taking *much* (any?) of Susan's advice.

• Love 2
(edited)

It happens.  Think of all the women in real life who don't take care of themselves or don't have access to appropriate care or don't even *know* they're pregnant and give birth to healthy seven pound babies.  Heck, what about times when we didn't know any better regarding prenatal care?

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

It happens [...] Heck, what about times when we didn't know any better regarding prenatal care?

Yeah, I know.  That's the babies in the category of "everyone I went to high school with"? It was just one of those things that irked me.

Loved Michael Ironside's brief stint as ER chief.  Especially his reax to Mark's TOTAL SILENCE after he said he'd signed off on Mark's attending status: "[A] show of appreciation is usual." (immediately forgot the last word he used, but Bwah!)

• Love 1

I've been continuing my watch on Kodi, since POP isn't cooperating.  

As I was watching season 7, all I could think about was how EXHAUSTING Sally Field was as a character. And it turns out that even all these years later I still don't care about Luka or Luka's backstory.

I started season 8 last night and although Luka and Abby's break-up was really well done and weirdly emotional, I can already sense it's going to be a challenge to keep going once Mark dies.

• Love 1

In the early seasons on POP ..... I love how Carter always wants to sit with Benton at the "big doctors' table" but Benton just ignores him.  He'll stand there hesitantly waiting to be invited, then sits all alone at the next table over.  People at the "big doctors' table" will be laughing at something and Carter just sort of laughs along, not knowing why.  It's a rare bit of continuity that I appreciate, because I welcome continuity in any TV show, movie, or whatever.  

I also think it's cute how Mark will start singing or whistling along whenever anyone sings.  He's done it quite a few times and I like it.  A lot.  Very realistic because we've all done it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, slasherboy said:

I also think it's cute how Mark will start singing or whistling along whenever anyone sings.  He's done it quite a few times and I like it.  A lot.  Very realistic because we've all done it.

There's one (I think) S2 episode where a psych patient is walking in circles in one of the exam rooms repeating "It's my party!  It's my party!" over and over.  To which Lydia and Haleh accompany with "And I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to, cry if I want to," and Mark attempts to harmonize, badly, with "Give her some Haldol" sung slightly off-key.

I missed this run of episodes the first time through.  I love Kerry with the high school football player.  "You should have tackled lower."  And then when she was explaining the tamponade to him she told him "it's a bizarre thing, which makes you a bizarre guy, but that's okay because we like that here."

I have to wonder how much of the strained relationship Kerry and Susan end up having was just because their first interactions happened when Susan was having a bad day and Kerry not knowing to either back off or change her approach.

• Love 1

There was one episode where there is a drunk (or maybe he was a psych patient) who would yell the same word over and over and now I can't remember the word and it's driving me nuts. But anyway it was funny because throughout the whole episode you would periodically hear him yelling in the background. I like how they carried it throughout the whole show without bringing a lot of attention to it. 

Yesterday I watched a season 7 episode where Jim Belushi plays a dad who gets into a car accident with his son. The son was played by the kid who was Dean in Gilmore Girls. Must've been right before he landed GG. 

4 minutes ago, desertflower said:

There was one episode where there is a drunk (or maybe he was a psych patient) who would yell the same word over and over and now I can't remember the word and it's driving me nuts.

"HOT DOGS!  HOT DOGS!  HOT DOGS!"

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, desertflower said:

There was one episode where there is a drunk (or maybe he was a psych patient) who would yell the same word over and over and now I can't remember the word and it's driving me nuts

I remember such a scene. Also remember, as that happened, Carter and, I think, Susan were just chatting outside the door where the chanting patient was and suddenly something was thrown in their direction and they ducked and...just kept talking. LOL. Except I thought the word was "DOCTOR!" and not "HOT DOGS!" Eh, whatever. Still amusing!

I never really liked Harper (I would have preferred a Carter/Lucy pairing, and that's saying something), perhaps because I have residual bad feelings about Emily Valentine.  But I did get a heartily evil chuckle out of Harper needling Carter by ordering "whatever's on tap" at Ed's bar.

Maybe it's just because Kathleen Wilhoite's baby-voice drives me up the wall, but I think I hate Chloe even more twenty years later.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, starri said:

It's hard for me to imagine that Mark and Vulcan Jen were ever happy.  He has less chemistry with her than with Elizabeth, if such thing is possible.

He really did have such an easy chemistry with Susan.  You could easily see how they'd develop feelings for each other and not simply because they show told us they did.  It's been fun seeing that again.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, starri said:

I have to wonder how much of the strained relationship Kerry and Susan end up having was just because their first interactions happened when Susan was having a bad day and Kerry not knowing to either back off or change her approach.

That's actually a very good theory.  How many of us have gotten off on the wrong foot with someone, and after,  never get into rhythm with that person.

I've speculated too (this time around) that Kerry had issues with strong women.  Professional jealousy?  It struck me when she chose Benton over Corday for the trauma fellowship.  Her women "friends" were med students & interns.  Jeanie was the exception but, fond as I am of the character, she was nobody's idea of assertive.

I don't want to bore on here about women in positions of authority, loathe to share the wealth. She might honestly think of Peter as the better doc.   And perhaps this was not true of her in her later years (which I missed the 1st time around).  But I've wondered if that that was part of the deal-io (yay Gru!) between her & Susan; between her & Elizabeth.

just watched season 1, episode 6--the last remaining unwatched episode of the first 6 seasons for me. It made me cry which surprised me. This one has the dad (who was a lawyer during the last years of LA Law) dying because his heart was giving out and his goodbye scene with his wife just got to me.

On the issue of Kerry and Susan--I agree it did not start well but I give most blame to Kerry. She did not make any effort to introduce herself and start out nice. She handed out these passive aggressive remarks a lot. Anyone hearing that would not think good things about Kerry. She softens up as she's on there longer.

20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I remember such a scene. Also remember, as that happened, Carter and, I think, Susan were just chatting outside the door where the chanting patient was and suddenly something was thrown in their direction and they ducked and...just kept talking. LOL. Except I thought the word was "DOCTOR!" and not "HOT DOGS!" Eh, whatever. Still amusing!

Thanks, now that you mention it I remember thinking it was Doctor, but tacos or hot dogs could work too. :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Today's BINGO card: Paul Adelstein (Girlfriend's Guide, Private Practice) as the dad whose bratty son zips up his penis.  I edited in "bratty" when he kicked a well-meaning, Santa-suited Carter.

Little shit.

Hey -- anyone know why Corday was allowed to continue to treat the rapist?  

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 2

I haven't seen in S1 finale since it originally aired, or at least since the show was running on TNT.

Teenaged student me thought Tag seemed impossibly old, moreso than Doug or Mark.  Middle-aged physician me does not think that.

I have to wonder where Carter went to med school where he got the summer between 3rd and 4th year off.  That doesn't actually happen.

I know I should have found the terminal AIDS patient story sad, but once I noticed that his boyfriend was wearing an oh-so-90s denim-on-denim outfit, that was all I could think about.

I know there's no such thing as a pretty bridesmaid's dress, but the only way Carol could have expressed her secret hatred of her friends more would have been if there had been a bow on the ass.

• Love 5
(edited)

The funeral scene with Ruby was really annoying . Carter gave a heartfelt apology and came all the way out there. No, he wasn't saying the day was about him.

See, that "heartfelt apology" was symptomatic of what I didn't like about Carter. I thought, "This day isn't about you" was Red Buttons's best scene, because he was right. It was an occasion for other people's grief and paying of respects, not for this privileged young guy's absolution and reassurance that he was the great person he believed himself to be 

But I often didn't see Carter sympathetically, and I appreciated that the show acknowledged his smug, disingenuous side. NW was good at playing the negatives...even playing the positives and the negatives at the same time. There were times when Carter would be in a strongly compassionate mode with a patient, and you could see him being a little too "into" his own virtue. 

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 3

Season 6 episode "Such Sweet Sorrow", Elizabeth calmly to Malucci: "When residents arrive here we size you up. We have great hopes for you, we want you to succeed, but gradually over time and through interaction we form opinions. Do you want to know the staff's opinion of you? You're lazy, sloppy, and your careless attitude toward your responsibilities as a physician endangers patients' lives. As witnessed today. In other words: none of us thinks you're much of a doctor."

• Love 9

Got through most of Season 8 this weekend. Almost to Mark's death episode. 

The one thing that's standing out to me this time around is that I didn't QUITE hate the Susan/Carter thing. Though I will call bullshit on Susan saying that she never had feelings for Mark, because that seems like a flatout lie.   I do remember in Season 1 there was a moment, I think in the Christmas episode, where Carter and Susan almost kissed but she stopped him because he was a med student.

The weird bottle "Breakfast Club" episode in Season 8 where Carter and Susan "break up" make it very clear that Carter and Susan never had sex. And thus the triangle that wouldn't die of Luka/Abby/Carter keeps going on and on and on and on....

I'm gonna open an bottle of wine tonight and get through On the Beach.

(Hey, also, is Rachel Greene the worst?  Yes. Yes, she is.)

• Love 2

I really LOVE Mark Greene and Jen Greene comes off as a total bitch.  Am I supposed to care about her?  Am I alone in my loathing?  Mark seems like a great guy with a difficult work life.  Like there's no lawyer jobs in Chicago????

• Love 3

Season 6 episode "Such Sweet Sorrow", Elizabeth calmly to Malucci: "When residents arrive here we size you up. We have great hopes for you, we want you to succeed, but gradually over time and through interaction we form opinions. Do you want to know the staff's opinion of you? You're lazy, sloppy, and your careless attitude toward your responsibilities as a physician endangers patients' lives. As witnessed today. In other words: none of us thinks you're much of a doctor."

Damn, I remember that, Elizabeth was straight up savage. And...not untrue in what she said.

• Love 3

Sorry, I dispute the "great person he believed himself to be" attack on Carter.  There were too many moments in the series where he made the gesture without any hope of recognition (though Benton saw enough, as evidenced by his evaluation at the end of Season 1).

Fondness for a character is certainly a mileage issue but I always thought John Carter was the audience POV -- the reason the show suffered when he became a druggy; the reason there was no "there" there after he left.

If you don't like the character, you can paint him with the "privileged brat" brush.  I liked him.  I appreciated the part of him who was the young man who followed his dream, despite the disapproval of his family (and that's a tough thing to get out from under).  Did that background sometimes make itself felt?  I'd say, no more or less than anyone else there. Experience is a great teacher and a super equalizer.  Ex: I'm sure he never tried the "Gameboys for Guns" exchange again!

As far as arrogance -- well, every county doc had more than his fair share.

I handwave the graveside apology because it was a young man's bungle (and Ruby had long ago exhausted my sympathy), and I think we all learned from the "PBS" ep of Friends that there is no such thing as an unselfish good deed ?.

• Love 2

I was ok on the graveside apology because (a) it seemed sincere; not a big look at me but a heartfelt, I messed up and I'm sorry. In real life you probably would not do that at the graveside but it was a TV moment; and (b) how many people go through the trouble of seeking someone out to make that kind of apology? Most (counting myself) would just feel bad, move on and if Ruby showed up maybe say something. But I don't think the effort to go apologize was a selfish act.

I agree that Carter is not perfect and seemed like an overall good guy who grows and matures and learns from mistakes, while never being an angel.

11 hours ago, slf said:

Elizabeth/Alex Kingston had the best deliveries. There's a scene in season 7 when Peter tells her Romano has blackballed his career and she says, "He's a horrid little turd!" It makes me laugh every time. Such an apt description of Romano and she says it perfectly. 

Re: the breakfast club episode. Haven't gotten that far in my viewing this time around so I'm fuzzy on details but i remember it being one of the few times I really disliked Carter. He's pretty jerky throughout it and his remark about getting blown up in Croatia was such a crappy thing to say to Luka. Maybe he didn't know Luka's entire family died in a bombing? I hope he wasn't aware yet because jeez!

(In general I really liked Carter, just not in that episode!)

• Love 3

Secrets and Lies didn't do any of the characters any favors.  Carter especially.  Susan and Abby were gross for laughing when Carter said he lost his virginity at 11 to his maid.  It's like the writers decided to write these 30ish year old characters as teenagers which didn't work for me.  I hate that episode.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Granny58 said:

I really LOVE Mark Greene and Jen Greene comes off as a total bitch.  Am I supposed to care about her?  Am I alone in my loathing?  Mark seems like a great guy with a difficult work life.  Like there's no lawyer jobs in Chicago????

When it came to their marriage Jen always struck me as a woman who loved her husband but was taken for granted until it was too late. She did what a lot of women did, put off her dreams to support her husband in achieving his with the understanding (between them) being that once he became a doctor it would be her time. But once it was time for Jen to work on her career Mark bitched about her schedule, her not being there, dinner, etc. A scene between them in 1x15:

"Morgenstern offered me a job as attending physician next year."
"What'd you say?"
"I said yes."
"Without discussing it with me first?"
"An attending. I figured I'd be spending nights and weekends at some community hospital in Winnetka. Is this a problem?"
"Can you tell him you need time to think about it?"
"I don't need to think about it. This is a great opportunity!"
"I won't know until March if Judge Franklin needs me to clerk next year."
"You're considering spending another year in Milwaukee?"
"If he wants me to, yes."
"But I assumed-"
"Exactly! You assume things would be the way you want."
"The last six months haven't exactly been the way I want them- I've been living by myself, without my wife, without my daughter."
""My wife, my daughter"! It's only been six months. What about the last six years? What about medical school, rotations and residency? Who was a paralegal so we had food? Who was in night school for years, finishing college? Was that you? No, that was me. So now I want it to be about me for a change, not you."

A lot of women in the 90s fell into that trap. She shouldn't have gone on to cheat on him but I can hardly blame her for looking elsewhere; Mark wanted a supportive, doting wife (one of the reasons he stuck with Cynthia way longer than he should have and didn't hesitate to ask her for favors that were inappropriate considering the stage of their relationship) but wasn't willing to sacrifice some comfort to help his wife achieve her dreams. Jen, from what I remember, gave more in that relationship, put more work into it whereas Mark just expected things to work in his favor because he was used to Jen making the sacrifices and taking care of the house (the scene above opens with him joking about how she hasn't cooked in a year). I have periods were I really, really like Mark and periods were I think he's totally in the wrong and while Jen wasn't perfect I do think Mark was the weak link in that relationship.

• Love 5

I agree completely, and I resented that they made her a cheater, well, even more that they lost any semblance of realistic, layered storytelling from that point on when it came to their relationship; until then, it had been a much more interesting story.  It was Mark's turn for so long he took it for granted that her career would yield to his any time there was an impasse.  He shouldn't have needed her to hit him over the head with reality, but he did eventually wake up and they were making it work with them being based in two different cities.  Then she cheated, and things weren't interesting any more after that, because instead of being two real people it was the main character and the woman who did him wrong.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I was ok on the graveside apology because (a) it seemed sincere; not a big look at me but a heartfelt, I messed up and I'm sorry. In real life you probably would not do that at the graveside but it was a TV moment; and (b) how many people go through the trouble of seeking someone out to make that kind of apology? Most (counting myself) would just feel bad, move on and if Ruby showed up maybe say something. But I don't think the effort to go apologize was a selfish act.

I agree that Carter is not perfect and seemed like an overall good guy who grows and matures and learns from mistakes, while never being an angel.

The problem I ended up having with Carter was that he seemed to have these (almost) seasonal 'epiphanies' whereby he'd realIse that he was doing everything all wrong and he should really be doing something different. And it felt like we were all supposed to get behind him every time he kept changing his mind. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ch1 said:

Secrets and Lies didn't do any of the characters any favors.  Carter especially.  Susan and Abby were gross for laughing when Carter said he lost his virginity at 11 to his maid.  It's like the writers decided to write these 30ish year old characters as teenagers which didn't work for me.  I hate that episode.

Susan mocking him for that was when I accepted that that the writers had forgotten who she was as a character during her absence (which was solidified when she became head party girl the following season).

• Love 3
8 hours ago, slf said:

When it came to their marriage Jen always struck me as a woman who loved her husband but was taken for granted until it was too late. She did what a lot of women did, put off her dreams to support her husband in achieving his with the understanding (between them) being that once he became a doctor it would be her time. But once it was time for Jen to work on her career Mark bitched about her schedule, her not being there, dinner, etc. A scene between them in 1x15:

"Morgenstern offered me a job as attending physician next year."
"What'd you say?"
"I said yes."
"Without discussing it with me first?"
"An attending. I figured I'd be spending nights and weekends at some community hospital in Winnetka. Is this a problem?"
"Can you tell him you need time to think about it?"
"I don't need to think about it. This is a great opportunity!"
"I won't know until March if Judge Franklin needs me to clerk next year."
"You're considering spending another year in Milwaukee?"
"If he wants me to, yes."
"But I assumed-"
"Exactly! You assume things would be the way you want."
"The last six months haven't exactly been the way I want them- I've been living by myself, without my wife, without my daughter."
""My wife, my daughter"! It's only been six months. What about the last six years? What about medical school, rotations and residency? Who was a paralegal so we had food? Who was in night school for years, finishing college? Was that you? No, that was me. So now I want it to be about me for a change, not you."

A lot of women in the 90s fell into that trap. She shouldn't have gone on to cheat on him but I can hardly blame her for looking elsewhere; Mark wanted a supportive, doting wife (one of the reasons he stuck with Cynthia way longer than he should have and didn't hesitate to ask her for favors that were inappropriate considering the stage of their relationship) but wasn't willing to sacrifice some comfort to help his wife achieve her dreams. Jen, from what I remember, gave more in that relationship, put more work into it whereas Mark just expected things to work in his favor because he was used to Jen making the sacrifices and taking care of the house (the scene above opens with him joking about how she hasn't cooked in a year). I have periods were I really, really like Mark and periods were I think he's totally in the wrong and while Jen wasn't perfect I do think Mark was the weak link in that relationship.

I just saw that episode!  It never seemed to me that he resented or tried to stop her becoming a lawyer.   That was fine.  But she took it too far when she went to work far away.  Chicago is huge.  Surely there were jobs available there.