Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Valentine's Day 4: Twisted Sister

The Dunphys hatch another amorous adventure as Clive and Juliana for Valentine's Day, but Claire is afraid that Phil might be a little too into her alter ego. Meanwhile, a visit from Gloria's sister, Sonia, could spoil Jay's plans for a romantic evening; and Mitchell and Cameron get into a tricky situation with a friend.

Wow - no posts yet.

Awful episode.   I groaned as soon as I realized we were going to be subject to another Juliana/Clive segment.

Absolutely no family interaction, again, and the only kid present was Manny.

Don't even get me started on the rest of it - I don't think I laughed once.  Officially removed from my watch list.

I agree that the lack of kids was a little startling. I especially wondered who was watching Joe. But I loved Ty Burrell in this one - the Phil/Julianna storyline could have gone in a number of directions, but I thought it ended very sweetly. We're not often shown any evidence that these two even like each other, so it was nice to see them being silly and happy together.

Also, Stephanie Beatriz has range! I watch her every week on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and she was barely recognizable in this. Huge respect.

Edited by Thog
  • Love 4

I know! I kept thinking it was Rosa then, no, that's not Rosa, then finally realizing it was. 

I also agree that the ending with Phil and Julianna/Claire was sweet. 

The plot with Cam and Mitchell was tiresome. From the very start I knew they'd be stealing the gift away then putting it back and on and on. I did, however, enjoy Roger Bart as Anders. Of course Anders and Cooper was funny, as was DeDe, CeCe, and BeBe.

• Love 3

Terrible episode. Gloria screeched as usual, the Cam and Mitch storyline was painfully unfunny and predictable, and I was "meh" on the Clive/Julianna story. Unfortunately, "meh" is as good as it gets this season on Modern Family. Who on earth is writing this crap these days?

• Love 2

We're not often shown any evidence that these two even like each other, so it was nice to see them being silly and happy together.

I always felt that Claire and Phil were always made out to be the couple that work well together/love each other. There used to be that with Gloria and Jay, but IDK what happened there. Mitchell and Cam were always just awful.

The gift stealing storyline was awful and was just great at highlighting how awful Cam and Mitchell can be.

Was Gloria wearing her heels when she came back down after hearing things initially on the baby monitor? If so, that's just all kinds of stupid. Just like that storyline.

I liked the Clive/Juliana storyline. It never made me laugh, but it worked for the characters.

I liked this episode. The Clive and Julianna stuff was funny - I was expecting a storyline about how Claire has gotten too busy for her marriage, especially by cancelling on Phil on Valentine's Day, but it was a nice twist. The last shot of them goofily grinning as Phil scooped Claire up looked more like Ty and Julie laughing.

I just realized another reason why I liked this episode: NO KIDS. No marble-mouthed Luke or squabbling from the sisters. Manny was annoying - Rico Rodriguez, can you be more stilted? - but that's nothing new.

I even liked Cam and Mitch and the painting heist. Even little moments like when Mitch took the painting from the old lady's wheelchair, she let out a soft "oww..." and Mitch snapped "Oh you're fine". Nice snarky delivery.

The sister plot was a little cartoonish - okay, more than a little - but it wasn't bad enough for me to dislike the episode as a whole.

• Love 1

Of course Anders and Cooper was funny, as was DeDe, CeCe, and BeBe.

Yeah the names were the best. As is Manny's obsession with the (unfortunately) fake show "Lethal Ladies".

I didn't think we'd ever see Stephanie Beatriz as Gloria's sister again since she's on Brooklyn Nine Nine now, so it was a nice surprise. Also that she was back in the groove playing her with that voice and accent. It's so different from the tough as nails, monotoned Rosa Diaz she plays on B99!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Manny was annoying - Rico Rodriguez, can you be more stilted? - but that's nothing new.

Different strokes, but I think he's really good. His character is supposed to be mannered. Anyway, I love the way he delivers lines, like an old pro.

• Love 3

Yeah, I think he's a lot better since his voice deepened. It makes the dialogue they give seem more natural then when he had a little kid voice.

Also, are we to infer from Mitchell's line about "nine other paintings from five different painters" that Lily's birth mom was a prostitute? Is this the first time this was mentioned?

Edited by VCRTracking

I always felt that Claire and Phil were always made out to be the couple that work well together/love each other.

I thought so too, until recent years when they've played up her uptight traits and his childishness to the extent that they look like polar opposites. Now I don't see how they ever got together in the first place, let alone managed to raise 3 kids. They used to show us the love underlying all of the main relationships by the end of every episode, which made it really sweet. Now I guess they're just relying on us remembering that these people do like each other somewhere deep down underneath all the sarcastic barbs.

Also, are we to infer from Mitchell's line about "nine other paintings from five different painters" that Lily's birth mom was a prostitute? Is this the first time this was mentioned?

I thought that line was referring to the unfortunate stereotype that parents of adopted children (particularly from other countries) are irresponsible and have lots of kids they can't support. It was a throw-away line, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season, except for the Jay/Gloria storyline.  Was her sister really hitting on Jay?  I expected it to be set up between Gloria and her sister.  I loved Cam and Mitchell trying to get the present back.  And who doesn't like Clive and Julianna??????

• Love 1

LOVED the Phil/Clive/Claire/Julianna story line after the stupid set up at the beginning.

HATED the Jay/Gloria/Sonia story line-decent premise, but waaayyyyy too much screeching from Gloria. By the way, is it written into Sofia Vergara's contract that she must wear really high heels all the time.

Meh on Cam/Mitchell other than the Anders and Cooper name. They usually do farce well on this show (see the Vegas episode).but it really was not acted or staged well AND it made them look so petty.

• Love 2

I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season, except for the Jay/Gloria storyline.  Was her sister really hitting on Jay?

Oh she was hitting on him. There was that thing in the "Fulgencio" episode where we found out essentially Gloria 'stole' Sonia's life.

They usually do farce well on this show (see the Vegas episode).but it really was not acted or staged well AND it made them look so petty.

That was classic and the whole thing led up to the great moment where it looked like they were about to do the "Pulp Fiction" needle plunge on someone's chest, except it was a little boy!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season, except for the Jay/Gloria storyline.  Was her sister really hitting on Jay?  I expected it to be set up between Gloria and her sister.  I loved Cam and Mitchell trying to get the present back.  And who doesn't like Clive and Julianna??????

I seriously thought the whole thing was a set up as well. Leading to something that could be romantic for the two of them, because it seems like it's something their relationship desperately needs. Instead we got Gloria being a bit over the top and also wearing insanely high heels with a twisted ankle, because ok.

Wonder where Haley, Alex, Luke, and Lily all were this week?  They couldn't think of Valentine's Day plots for any of them?

Yeah, no Andy Haley Valentine moment?

Edited by LucyEth

Was Gloria wearing her heels when she came back down after hearing things initially on the baby monitor? If so, that's just all kinds of stupid. Just like that storyline.

Hey, y'gotta love a woman who wears heels around the house.

Actually, I noticed that, too - it seemed like she'd have gotten into some comfy pajamas or something. Maybe Gloria being Gloria, that's just not her style. Or she was feeling too competitive with her sister to let her alpha female guard down.

Why does Gloria's sister, who lives in Columbia, have a much lighter accent than Gloria, who lives in the US?  (rhetorical question)

I liked the Claire/Phil storyline, especially the ending.  Just when I thought that Phil had gone over the deep end and thought Julianna was a real person, he comes back out and grabs Claire.  

I really didn't like the ending - Phil, Jay and Mitchell all having a good time making breakfast, a sign that they had had an enjoyable Valentine's night, then Cam is whining about not knowing where to put the bowl.  I don't know if anything could have been a good punch line to that set up, but Cam whining certainly wasn't it.  

Edited by needschocolate

Julianna & Clive / Claire & Phil this episode was one the best thing Claire ever did to Phil.  Phil is usually the one with plans to surprise or please Claire, albeit not always successful.  On the other hand, Claire is the one who ignores or comes up with schemes to get away from Phil and/or the children.  On this episode Claire took the time to fake lack of interest and fake work stuff, plus she brought a more aggressive Julianna.  The conclusion was sweet but still a bit silly, just like Phil.

• Love 3

Yeah, I think he's a lot better since his voice deepened. It makes the dialogue they give seem more natural then when he had a little kid voice.

I thought that was a comment about the friends, Anders and Cooper, having a bunch of paintings in their house. I'd have to watch again though, the line was quick and kind of came out of nowhere.

My favorite line was Jay telling Manny he was living a Cathy cartoon.....so true.

I like Clive and Julianna. Very funny. I thought Claire was going to be caught at the hotel without clothes on again, in the pool this time.

I thought that line was referring to the unfortunate stereotype that parents of adopted children (particularly from other countries) are irresponsible and have lots of kids they can't support. It was a throw-away line, but it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I thought that was a comment about the friends, Anders and Cooper, having a bunch of paintings in their house. I'd have to watch again though, the line was quick and kind of came out of nowhere.

After giving the painting to the maid:

Cam: "That was hard."

Mitchell: "So hard"

Cam: "Probably how Lilly's birth mother felt."

Mitchell: "Except we don't have 9 other paintings by 5 different painters."

I'd say it was definitely a shot at Lilly's birth mother.

Yeah the names were the best. As is Manny's obsession with the (unfortunately) fake show "Lethal Ladies".

I assume that was a reference to Mujeres Asesinas ("Killer Women"). Sofia Vergara was an executive producer for the unsuccessful American version.