Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The TV guy finally finished and left just after 2.  And after tracking mud into my house on the carpet in the living room!  If they ask for a survey (and the often do), I'm definitely going to comment on now having to clean my carpet.  Just a few spots here and there, but still.  Not what I wanted to do today.

But I have TV back, and the local channels work!  I can watch Jeopardy! again!  Hooray!

Bummer! It seems like people who’ve come work in my house lately have worn those paper booties, or in case of the heat pump replacement, put down a plastic runway from the front door all the way to the attic. I was impressed!

But on the other hand, good for you!

He had booties.  They were on the front porch.  He just neglected to put them back on when he came in the final time.  I mean, I'm a little pissed off, but he had been out in the cold and rain for so long, and hadn't had lunch or anything, so I feel like I can't be too mad. If I'd done that, and gone so long without food, I'd be so cranky!

• Love 4

I was going to say, auto repair guys wear booties when they get in your car to move it in/out of a bay, or they put down a paper mat. Maybe you should have offered the guy some coffee or pop (!) or cookies or something. Or a tip, like pizza delivery. Cable delivery.

Meanwhile, into everyone's lives a little ... mud ... must fall. I guess.

I'll take some mud (it will dry and you can spray/vacuum it out) over the -30 that is starting now here. Holy cats, try doing outside chores in that. I'm still wearing my hood-up hoodie and parka from being outside a bit ago. I think they will stay on until bedtime.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

He had booties.  They were on the front porch.  He just neglected to put them back on when he came in the final time.  I mean, I'm a little pissed off, but he had been out in the cold and rain for so long, and hadn't had lunch or anything, so I feel like I can't be too mad. If I'd done that, and gone so long without food, I'd be so cranky!

If it were me, I'd let it go. That's a long time, in and out of very cold weather. And w/o food?  Poor guy.

• Love 2

Yeah, I probably will just let it go.  Time has passed, and even in the moment I was only a little pissed.

I'm way more annoyed that I can't remember my bloody wi-fi password so I can access all the things with the new TV setup!  My computer knows it, and communicates it to all my other devices, so they all know it, but they don't want to tell me!  I'd prefer not to do a factory reset on my router.  There's one more thing I can try before doing that, but I'm not confident.  <sigh>

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, I probably will just let it go.  Time has passed, and even in the moment I was only a little pissed.

I'm way more annoyed that I can't remember my bloody wi-fi password so I can access all the things with the new TV setup!  My computer knows it, and communicates it to all my other devices, so they all know it, but they don't want to tell me!  I'd prefer not to do a factory reset on my router.  There's one more thing I can try before doing that, but I'm not confident.  <sigh>

Oh, bummer again. If you haven’t changed it, might it still be on a sticky on the back or bottom of the router?

13 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If your computer knows it, there are ways to make it tell.  I am not a computer person, but I know in Chrome in settings there is a place where it will show all saved passwords, and I have to think that there has to be something similar in any browser/platform.

10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh, bummer again. If you haven’t changed it, might it still be on a sticky on the back or bottom of the router?

There are some random numbers on a sticker, but nothing that really indicates a password, like SSID.  But trying one or more of those is my next step.  I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

3 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

If your computer knows it, there are ways to make it tell.  I am not a computer person, but I know in Chrome in settings there is a place where it will show all saved passwords, and I have to think that there has to be something similar in any browser/platform.

I couldn't get Safari to tell me (it wanted the password to tell me the password!).  I haven't tried in Firefox, and I haven't actually downloaded Chrome.  

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.  There's no rush, really -- I'm mostly just happy to have television back!

I had some plumbers come in with booties and I told them it wasn't necessary - the new vinyl hadn't been laid yet and new carpet comes on the 27th.  My brother told me that the next time I want my place renovated, I should just ask him to fix something. (I swear, ANYBODY would have thought the valve was closed when it stopped turning. It's NOT Joe's fault we had Young Faithful in my condo for 90 minutes.)

@saber5055, it was delightful.  Although I did take a break somewhere in the middle to go see An American In Paris on the big screen.  I still haven't figured out the internet thing, though -- I tried every number on every sticker on the router, and no go.  I have absolutely no idea what to try next.  Google, I suppose, to see if it has any more suggestions.

OTOH, I've lived without streaming, on-demand, and whatever else an internet connection gets me for this long, so it is probably okay if I don't figure it out.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did take a break somewhere in the middle to go see An American In Paris on the big screen.

Awesome. That would have made my day complete.

I wonder if some online site can help with the wi-fi thing. I can set up and repair your Mac computer, but smart tvs and cable business are beyond me, the person with an antenna ... that now only gets one network. Again. At least it's the one with Jeopardy.

Hey, maybe the dude with the muddy shoes could help. Worth a try?

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

@saber5055, it was delightful.  Although I did take a break somewhere in the middle to go see An American In Paris on the big screen.  I still haven't figured out the internet thing, though -- I tried every number on every sticker on the router, and no go.  I have absolutely no idea what to try next.  Google, I suppose, to see if it has any more suggestions.

OTOH, I've lived without streaming, on-demand, and whatever else an internet connection gets me for this long, so it is probably okay if I don't figure it out.

There must be a way to reset the router to the factory settings, then the numbers on the sticker should work?  Maybe google "reset" plus the brand/model# of the router?  Nobody should have to live through this!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Nah, muddy shoes guy was no help at all.  He gave it a go, but couldn't figure out how I could figure it out, either.

Can you contact the service department of your internet provider?

I know you are not supposed to write down passwords, but we have every single password written down.

• Love 1

I have every single other password written down!  And it’s quite possible that I have this one written down somewhere, but it’s been, well, at least 15 years since I first got wi-fi, so who knows where I put it.  

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I hope your Young Faithful didn't "go off" every 90 minutes like Old Dad does, and was a "One And Done."

Correct. It just "went" for almost the full 90 minutes til we got the garden hose hooked up and then Gary the Plumber came by & turned it all off.  We've got a water shut-off valve for the entire building, but (how stupid!) you need a special tool to turn it.

NOW I've got water in the cats' bathroom. It's either coming from the unit behind me or, most likely, from my new-ish dishwasher. I don't understand why the kitchen wouldn't be wet, but it really looks like the water is coming into the cats' bathroom from under the common wall with the kitchen. Since I noticed it the first time, it hasn't happened again until (GASP!) I ran the dishwasher.  I was really hoping it was coming from Mary's unit & she would get her son-in-law to fix it. He'd fix hers because they're related, but he's in business with his dad and they "only do PROJECTS" so I can't ask him to look at my problem. It's not a PROJECT.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's not a PROJECT.

Well, not to be a downer, but maybe it is. Cracked pipe in the wall, tear out the drywall, repair the pipe, put new drywall up. Sounds like a project to me.

Although the dishwasher does sound like a culprit. Can you just tighten all the connections?

Edited by saber5055

It doesn't make sense, though, that the kitchen floor would be dry. I've had it up to here (points to forehead) with plumbing problems. First the washer valve doesn't close all the way and I've got a gusher in the condo, the plumber closes it, comes back in a few days to replace it. Then the flooring guys can't turn off the valves to the toilet or the sink's supply lines in the cats' bathroom, so Gary the Plumber comes out AGAIN to replace valves. He looked at the ones in my bathroom and said they were fairly new, so he left them alone. NOW the dishwasher? WTH? What did I do to offend the indoor plumbing gods?

New carpet comes on Monday, so I'm cleaning out all the stuff in the living/dining rooms, so life has NOT gotten back to normal. Cats were boarded for 5 nights while the flooring was going on. Poor lil Stella is SO stressed, I had to go buy a Feliway Diffuser to help her calm down. Bosco seems to be handling it well, but he knows she's not well, so instead of her washing his head in the morning, he's been washing hers. He's a good brother.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

so instead of her washing his head in the morning, he's been washing hers. He's a good brother.

What a sweetie.

Maybe turn on the dishwasher and go into the cat bathroom and watch for water, where it comes in and when. It could be something inside the wall. I'm just imagining pipes are in the wall.

Meanwhile, I'd do some research into what water gods like, or what water demons don't like, like saging or incense or drums or something.

Hey, I'm grasping at straws here!

• LOL 1

Well, I finally figured out how to make my computer tell me what the wi-fi password is, and it still doesn't connect with the new satellite box.  I now think the wi-fi might be too slow.  Next up, finding out the speed of wi-fi.  Or I could just let it go and hide all the on demand channels on the guide.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

What a sweetie.

Maybe turn on the dishwasher and go into the cat bathroom and watch for water, where it comes in and when. It could be something inside the wall.

He is a sweetie. He is worshipped as a god in my household. My 17-pound House Panther!

I plan on doing that, as soon as I have a full load of dishes. I have a feeling I'll be hand-washing dishes for a while. At least until the insurance check pays for the flood rehab and I can pay down the credit card. I just can't put any more big expenses on it.  And a plumber is a BIG expense.

Part of my daily brain exercise to stay J! sharp (LOL) is doing puzzles such as Jetpunk. One of today's quizzes was about Brad Pitt and love him or hate him (I do both), he's hilarious:

"I phoned my grandparents and my grandfather said 'We saw your movie.'

'Which one?' I said.

He shouted 'Betty, what was the name of that movie I didn't like?"

Edited by Bliss
daily = each day!
  • LOL 9
22 hours ago, Bliss said:

One of today's quizzes was about Brad Pitt and love him or hate him (I do both), he's hilarious:

So funny; thanks. His acceptance speech at the Golden Globes made me laugh too. He said he came by himself. He was going to bring his mother, but because all the gossip sites say he's dating every women he's seen with, that would have been awkward.

He was stunningly good in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

• Love 2

A very unfortunate shout out to the Dark Water movie we briefly discussed a week or so ago. Local news reports that water samples taken in Davenport, Iowa exceed the EPA-recommended levels of the toxin used to make teflon. Samples taken and tested by an independent lab. The report states Davenport has the second-highest levels in the United States.

Maybe I can get a bit part/play an extra in that movie. I know ... not funny. Story just broke yesterday.

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

Is anyone else watching Westminster dog show?

I watched live streaming Sunday and yesterday of breeds I'm interested in. I know most of the dogs and handlers so I'm interested in seeing how they showed. I filled out two brackets of Guess The Winners and Win One Million Dollars, sponsored by Purina. I was right with the Hound, Toy and Non Sporting winners, then the Sheltie had to screw up my Herding group. So I'm staying poor, at least until next year's contest.

I'm watching another breed live streaming today at noon, central time, to see if my Sporting choice first wins the breed. The handler is a man I've known since he was a pre-teen. When I see him next, I will tell him I chose him to win the group.

Back in "the day," I had friends tape WKC for me since I've never had cable. Those old tapes are valuable now, famous dogs and handlers (and judges) long dead. One dog friend always had a Westminster party, two nights of potluck dinners, drinks and watching the show, all of us dog people who knew all the players. (She's passed on now, too ...)

That's one long answer to your simple question!

ETA: My Best in Show choices for my two brackets are Havanese and Whippet. After checking who the judge is, I give the Havanese the edge. Side note: I am showing to that judge next month, he's one of my favorites.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

While I was up in the Observatory in the Penobscot Narrows Bridge (Bucksport, ME) and chatting with the tour guide lady, she said the hardest thing about her job is watching the suicides jump off the bridge and the only thing she can do about it is call emergency services, tell them the color of the clothing, and whether or not the tide is taking the body out to sea.  Gave me a whole new respect for her.

• Love 1

Some news show I watched was about park-service people who would call 911 when they saw people standing on some bridge to jump as a suicide. The park people were facing lawsuits for not stopping the suicides. I wish I could remember what bridge that was. There was a phone on the bridge that connected directly to 911 but the park employees weren't on the bridge to use that phone or physically stop anyone. The bridge was under camera security so all the jumpers were filmed, adding to the park service being sued, saying the suicides were being exploited.

It's rare to have a jumper on any of the Mississippi bridges near me, not even one per year. It's easy to drown in it though, so the bodies found, it isn't clear if they are accidents or suicides or homicides. The current is crazy strong, wade out up to your knees, squat down, lift up your feet and you will be swept away if you don't stand back up right away. A body that goes in can be found some hundred miles down river if it makes it through the roller dams.

Replying to a post in the season thread, I had no problem whatsoever at the Grand Canyon. I think it's a "nothing under your feet" thing that gets me. One bridge that walkers and bikes can take over the Mississippi has a metal grate floor that you can see through to the river below. It freaks me to walk on it, and when biking I have to keep my eyes up and not look down. Weird.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

While I was up in the Observatory in the Penobscot Narrows Bridge (Bucksport, ME) and chatting with the tour guide lady, she said the hardest thing about her job is watching the suicides jump off the bridge and the only thing she can do about it is call emergency services, tell them the color of the clothing, and whether or not the tide is taking the body out to sea.  Gave me a whole new respect for her.

Despite a healthy fear of heights, I love that observatory (and Fort Knox too!); as long as I look out and not down, nothing bad happens. But it had never occurred to me that people would jump from the bridge.  Respect for the tour guide lady indeed - I can't even imagine going through that.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, harrie said:

Despite a healthy fear of heights, I love that observatory (and Fort Knox too!); as long as I look out and not down,

I've been to Fort Knox but didn't notice it being especially vertigo enducing!

There are two Fort Knoxes - the one we all know with the gold in Kentucky, and the one in Bucksport, ME, next to the aforementioned bridge. And, no, it's not vertigo inducing. When I was there, there were a LOT of signs warning of wasps in the area. I wondered how badly someone had gotten stung that they put all those signs.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There are two Fort Knoxes

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know the rest of the story." Didn't  know there was one besides the Kentucky fort, but now I'm ready for when it's a Jeopardy clue. So thank you PW!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

There are two Fort Knoxes - the one we all know with the gold in Kentucky, and the one in Bucksport, ME, next to the aforementioned bridge. And, no, it's not vertigo inducing. When I was there, there were a LOT of signs warning of wasps in the area. I wondered how badly someone had gotten stung that they put all those signs.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Fort Knox had anything to do with vertigo; I just usually go to see Fort Knox (no wasp issues so far, but we usually go late or off season) with the occasional, incidental visit to the observatory rather than the other way around.  Do get a little fluttery taking in the water view from the top of the fort, though. 

Fort Knox aerial-1.jpg

• Love 2

Here in Chicagoland, the mid-afternoon broadcasts this past week have overlapped with the governor’s press conferences, so I either lose part if the beginning round, or the show entirely, which is what happened on Friday. Thank goodness for the Jeopardy archive site!

• Love 4

I expected it sooner or later, but my Scottish tour has been cancelled.  The guide has tentatively postponed it until next summer, but it might be cancelled altogether if not enough of us can commit.  Two people have already said they have something else lined up for June 2021.  Boo, hiss.

Now to cancel the hotel room I'd booked for the first couple of days, and the airfare.  

Sorry to hear that @Browncoat. But maybe more people will sign up for next year. (Bright side. TM Monty Python) What a hassle to try to get $ back from cancellations. Have been seeing some not-so-nice posts about airlines. Good luck on you.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

Thanks, @saber5055.  Hotel won't be a problem to cancel, but I dread dread dread cancelling the airfare.  I did get travel insurance for that, but I hope not to have to involve them.  And as for the tour itself, all I'd paid was the deposit, and that will be applied for next year.  <sigh>

• Love 1

I am supposed to be visiting Mom and bro in Tampa right now, but that’s cancelled. Took me forever to find the right contact number for Orbitz (note to self: google that s**t early!), but finally got it done three days before departure. I was going to have American hang onto the fare as a credit, which they are doing for everyone, but that only lasts through the one-year anniversary of booking, and who knows if I’ll be able to fly by years end. So, luckily I had travel insurance and am going to file my claim tomorrow. I could use the money in my savings account.

Browncoat, where in Scotland were you going to go? I am hoping that will be my next trip abroad, some year soon. We were there in 2012, but blew through it pretty quickly, and I want to spend a whole week in the Highlands instead of one day, as well as return to Orkney, which I looooved so much. I would seriously consider retiring there if I could!

Edited by Sharpie66

We were supposed to visit family in NOLA starting April 8. I had plenty of time to cancel our hotel without penalty. Southwest is giving us 12 months to use our tickets. Heaven help us all if that is not enough time.

• Love 2