Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: "I'll Take Non-Show Chat For $400, Alex."

Lisin
  • Start Topic

@Browncoat, I made your dressing recipe today and it is indeed delicious. It would be wonderful on a roast beef sandwich, yes! Thank you so much for posting. I would def make a stop in The Cheese Shop now for a sandwich with a side of that dressing.

(Only now I'm in kind of an "Ugh, I ate too much of it" malaise.)

• LOL 1
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@Browncoat, I made your dressing recipe today and it is indeed delicious.

I shall have to copy it down, then! The one I have is simpler. (The real recipe is a secret, thus the competing recipes!)

3 parts mayonnaise
2 parts Boar’s Head mustard (Dijon/slightly grainy)
2 parts London House steak sauce (or one with Worcestershire)

Some years ago the shop finally started bottling it, and you can order it online. I have never tried it and do not know if they had to make any adjustments to the original recipe for it to be shelf-stable. (It says "original" but I am not convinced. I think there was talk for years and years about how they couldn't bottle it as-is. Of course, the recipe I've posted above is 100% bottled ingredients! Who knows.)

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

@Mindthinkr, I hope you are doing well and NOLA weather has improved. It was on national news showing the flooded streets in the Quarter and the empty jazz fest set up sitting there in the pouring rain. The tornadoes that went through Louisiana were massive, at least you missed those.

I've also been worried about you since that escapade you told us about. I feel like your mom now, you need to check in, I'm setting a curfew on you!

Meanwhile, if you want a laugh, we are slated to get 4-8 inches of snow tomorrow. Take THAT, people with Spring Fever.

• Love 2

Semi-show related: I've found Classic Concentration on Buzzr with an extremely young Trebek hosting.  Time for a new contestant and AT asks, "Who are you?"  It made me wonder just how many contestants AT has met in his lifetime.  This guy was on the show for about 10 minutes when the opposition cleaned his clock.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've found Classic Concentration on Buzzr with an extremely young Trebek hosting.

Actually, it's only a year or two before Jeopardy started. Want really young AT? You should see him host "Double Dare" (not the Nickelodean show)! Aired for maybe a year (saw it on Buzzr, but hasn't been on for a while). 1976-1977 (I believe). Also saw him on "Celebrity Bowling" (around 1975) reruns on Decades TV.

17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Celebrity Bowling would be hilarious. I must search for that

One of the problems is that they only "name" the celebrities at the very beginning or very end of the show, so if you are just popping in during the commercials of some other show you're watching, a lot of the times you have no idea who the celebrities are (since they often look so different). I remember one time popping in and seeing "Dick" as a bowler on the scorecard. I'm trying to think: "Could it be Dick Martin? Dick Gautier? Dick Van Dyke?" Turns out, it's "Dick Dawson" (who you probably recognize better as "Richard Dawson" of Family Feud fame). Dick????? Reminded me of a time I was watching an interview with actors from Stargate and they kept referring to "Rick". Took me a while to realize they meant "Richard Dean Anderson"!

• LOL 1

saber5055 and I mentioned tall people on the Season 35 thread, which reminded me of a Unix programmer (sorry I don't remember his name) who got tired of questions about his height so he had a T-shirt made that said:

6"10"

Rather warm.

No, I don't.  Do you play miniature golf?

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

After all the Cheese Shop talk (which I may have started this go-round), I gave myself an indulgent Easter treat and ordered a jar.  Lots of yummy sandwiches being eaten in the Grundoon household. I don't think it's exactly as I remember it but it's darn close.  I may try Browncoat's recipe next - love the idea of the $16.93 W&M cookbook - will have to try to find it.  

Also thanks for whoever posted about Still Standing on Amazon.  I stumbled across it on CBC this year and would love to see prior episodes. 

Edited by Grundoon59
Posted before I finished my thought.
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

After all the Cheese Shop talk (which I may have started this go-round), I gave myself an indulgent Easter treat and ordered a jar.

What size is the jar? It didn't say on the order page, and I couldn't read it on the photo. I imagined it to be 4 oz.!

23 ounces.  I was surprised by the size and am hoping I will be able to eat it in a timely fashion.  Luckily Easter ham has been helping.  

FYI- the shipping is somewhat costly but I got it very quickly.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I recall Margaux Hemingway tiring of the "wow, you're tall" comments, so instead of telling people she was 6 feet tall, she said she was 5'12"

As a random bit of trivia, Allison Janney has made the same joke. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I recall Margaux Hemingway tiring of the "wow, you're tall" comments, so instead of telling people she was 6 feet tall, she said she was 5'12"  She said not many people got it.

Tommy Tune (of Broadway and Hollywood fame) referred to himself as being 5 foot 18. He was a seriously amazing dancer!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Tommy Tune is an amazing performer and incredibly tall, even sitting down - one of my favorite NYC memories was almost tripping over his feet in the crowded lobby of the Algonquin Hotel one December day.  He was very nice as I was trying not to be swallowed up by embarrassment. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

@Bliss, there has been a movement over the past several years to allow therapy dogs, dogs that are specifically trained and certified, to visit hospitals, nursing homes, hospice centers. There are amazing stories about what these dogs have achieved. Disabled children -- kids who have never spoken -- will talk to a dog, severely ill patients will light up at being able to pet/hold/hug a dog. Alzheimer patients become lucid when the dog visits. The stories are too many to recount, but they are all remarkable. I create several dog magazines and have done many stories about therapy dogs. I also do work for a regional hospital and it has started a therapy dog program as well.

So good on your hospital for letting your dog come visit. As you know, the result was highly beneficial! And it helped your dog, too. When I was showing a Field Spaniel, one of its owners was in a rehab center and I would routinely pick up the dog from her room to take to shows, he would come to visit her daily. And the other "inmates" of the center also loved seeing/petting/hugging him too.

Dogs can be trained to smell and locate cancer in humans, and trained to know when their diabetic person is needing insulin before the person knows. They also can anticipate seizures before their epileptic owner has one. They are trained to turn on/off lights, open/close doors, do all sorts of other routine tasks for owners in wheel chairs. Others work as search and rescue dogs to locate the missing or a deceased person, even one buried underground or in water. They sniff out drugs that people can't find. They work as protection animals. There's not much a dog can't do, if trained by the right person. (Note: That person is not me!) Another dog I know is a support animal when children have to testify in court, the dog helps the child feel safe and comfortable in those surroundings.

I laughed that you shouted "Lassie" at the video of the Collie. I've shown a lot of Collies and Lassie is a bugaboo to them, puppy buyers expect every Collie to instantly be as smart as the tv dog. Much like Dalmation handlers hated Pongo for the same reason. A Dalmation is not the breed for everyone.

But back to Collies, there is the Rough Collie (Lassie!) and the Smooth Collie, two separate AKC breeds. The Smooth looks just like the Rough but without the long (rough) coat. The Smooth Collie is much easier to prep for the show ring, but the down side is, it has no massive (and beautiful) coat to hide faults. And when the Rough goes out of coat (sheds), like in the hot summer, it has to stay home until the coat grows back while the Smooth Collie can still show and compete. (Coated breeds do not win much when they don't have coat!)

I totally believe your dog healing your thumb. See above ... she knew it was hurting. Try having her lie on your lap to watch tv, maybe that will help your hips! Hey, nothing ventured.

I've shown a lot of Goldens and they are fabulous dogs. Smart, kind, gentle.

And I agree that some people should not have any animal or human kids. 'Nuf said!

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

@Bliss, there has been a movement over the past several years to allow therapy dogs, dogs that are specifically trained and certified, to visit hospitals, nursing homes, hospice centers. There are amazing stories about what these dogs have achieved. Disabled children -- kids who have never spoken -- will talk to a dog, severely ill patients will light up at being able to pet/hold/hug a dog. Alzheimer patients become lucid when the dog visits. The stories are too many to recount, but they are all remarkable. I create several dog magazines and have done many stories about therapy dogs. I also do work for a regional hospital and it has started a therapy dog program as well.

So good on your hospital for letting your dog come visit. As you know, the result was highly beneficial! And it helped your dog, too. When I was showing a Field Spaniel, one of its owners was in a rehab center and I would routinely pick up the dog from her room to take to shows, he would come to visit her daily. And the other "inmates" of the center also loved seeing/petting/hugging him too.

Dogs can be trained to smell and locate cancer in humans, and trained to know when their diabetic person is needing insulin before the person knows. They also can anticipate seizures before their epileptic owner has one. They are trained to turn on/off lights, open/close doors, do all sorts of other routine tasks for owners in wheel chairs. Others work as search and rescue dogs to locate the missing or a deceased person, even one buried underground or in water. They sniff out drugs that people can't find. They work as protection animals. There's not much a dog can't do, if trained by the right person. (Note: That person is not me!) Another dog I know is a support animal when children have to testify in court, the dog helps the child feel safe and comfortable in those surroundings.

I laughed that you shouted "Lassie" at the video of the Collie. I've shown a lot of Collies and Lassie is a bugaboo to them, puppy buyers expect every Collie to instantly be as smart as the tv dog. Much like Dalmation handlers hated Pongo for the same reason. A Dalmation is not the breed for everyone.

But back to Collies, there is the Rough Collie (Lassie!) and the Smooth Collie, two separate AKC breeds. The Smooth looks just like the Rough but without the long (rough) coat. The Smooth Collie is much easier to prep for the show ring, but the down side is, it has no massive (and beautiful) coat to hide faults. And when the Rough goes out of coat (sheds), like in the hot summer, it has to stay home until the coat grows back while the Smooth Collie can still show and compete. (Coated breeds do not win much when they don't have coat!)

I totally believe your dog healing your thumb. See above ... she knew it was hurting. Try having her lie on your lap to watch tv, maybe that will help your hips! Hey, nothing ventured.

I've shown a lot of Goldens and they are fabulous dogs. Smart, kind, gentle.

And I agree that some people should not have any animal or human kids. 'Nuf said!

Thank you for your amazing response! I could talk for hours about dogs... they totally have me wrapped around their furry paws 🙂

I'd heard and knew a lot of what you wrote, but I'm not the expert you are. Thank you for taking the time to write - much appreciated! I've never been surprised at the intelligence and intuition of dogs - because I've experienced a lot of it myself.

Case in point: last Friday morning, I was woken at 4 a.m. with a pain in my chest - felt like an elephant was standing on me (not that I've had that experience...) and I was saying some pretty powerful prayers and doing healing breathwork to combat the pain. My work is very stressful lately and other family issues added to my stress made me think it was some sort of panic attack. Immediately, my golden jumped right beside me on the bed and looked right into my face with those Bambi eyes. She knew something was wrong. The little voice in my head said, "Call the doctor." I am not a person who goes to see a doctor very often and will "heal" myself as much as possible. But this was different and I knew it instantly because of her reaction. Long story short: I had a heart attack. Good news: I was labeled "normal" for the first time in my life. LOL. i.e., I didn't need a stent or surgery. It's been a gift in many ways... and if it wasn't for my golden's reaction, I'd probably not have called my doctor, not have taken his advice to go to ER, etc. The next time it happened, I might not have been so lucky to stay on this side of the grass.

For 32 years, prior to the golden, I had bichons because my youngest daughter had allergies to dogs that shed - it was the only breed that she could manage well. They're very smart, have memories like an elephant, and I had numerous occasions when they would rescue me... e.g., one busted out a screened window to come find me when I was in danger. I could write a book, but I don't know that anyone would read it!

I totally agree with your description of goldens... mine is beautiful inside and out, absolutely everyone who meets her falls instantly in love, and when I think about life without her, I lose it. So, I attempt to stay in the present and not think about the future. It took me a year to recover from the last bichon - I just didn't want to hurt again... and then one day, I decided that the only reason for the grief is because of all the love. The love won. I'm blessed to have her in my life for as long as I have her.

• Love 7

All these great dog stories remind me of an old tv show, Dogs With Jobs.    One golden was a physical therapist for children.  PT hurts.  How do you tell a 3 year old that this is good for them even though it hurts?    With the dog, they would practice arm range of motion patting the dog or throwing a ball. For walking practice, the dog would back up slowly and the child would follow.  

• Love 2

@Bliss, I'm so glad you listened to your dog. (What is her name?) Just think if you had not. Dogs are way smarter than people, and that's a fact jack.

A friend who owned a dog I bred, she was shocked awake by the dog one night, it was barking and jumping on and off and on and off the bed, barking and barking. Her house was on fire. If not for the dog, she would have perished.

Another friend was out working in his shop. His wife, daughter and dog were in the house. The dog started running from window to window barking non stop. The daughter told the dog to shut the eff up, but the wife went outside and found the man bleeding out in the driveway from a power saw accident. She applied a tourniquet, called 911 and he was airlifted to hospital. He would have died if not for the dog.

And those are just two stories of friends of mine. Think how many others there are, including yours, where dogs saved a life. Many dog "heroes" are recognized and given awards by AKC and major kennel clubs every year.

I've shown a lot of Bichons and have some funny stories about them, but most are jokes on me when I was working for a professional handler. I don't know a lot about them personally though since I didn't live with them like I lived with the Goldens and other sporting dogs I showed myself. The Goldens were a joy, always. As is yours!

36 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I could write a book, but I don't know that anyone would read it!

I disagree. There is a market for that book.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

Thank you for your amazing response! I could talk for hours about dogs... they totally have me wrapped around their furry paws 🙂

I'd heard and knew a lot of what you wrote, but I'm not the expert you are. Thank you for taking the time to write - much appreciated! I've never been surprised at the intelligence and intuition of dogs - because I've experienced a lot of it myself.

Case in point: last Friday morning, I was woken at 4 a.m. with a pain in my chest - felt like an elephant was standing on me (not that I've had that experience...) and I was saying some pretty powerful prayers and doing healing breathwork to combat the pain. My work is very stressful lately and other family issues added to my stress made me think it was some sort of panic attack. Immediately, my golden jumped right beside me on the bed and looked right into my face with those Bambi eyes. She knew something was wrong. The little voice in my head said, "Call the doctor." I am not a person who goes to see a doctor very often and will "heal" myself as much as possible. But this was different and I knew it instantly because of her reaction. Long story short: I had a heart attack. Good news: I was labeled "normal" for the first time in my life. LOL. i.e., I didn't need a stent or surgery. It's been a gift in many ways... and if it wasn't for my golden's reaction, I'd probably not have called my doctor, not have taken his advice to go to ER, etc. The next time it happened, I might not have been so lucky to stay on this side of the grass.

For 32 years, prior to the golden, I had bichons because my youngest daughter had allergies to dogs that shed - it was the only breed that she could manage well. They're very smart, have memories like an elephant, and I had numerous occasions when they would rescue me... e.g., one busted out a screened window to come find me when I was in danger. I could write a book, but I don't know that anyone would read it!

I totally agree with your description of goldens... mine is beautiful inside and out, absolutely everyone who meets her falls instantly in love, and when I think about life without her, I lose it. So, I attempt to stay in the present and not think about the future. It took me a year to recover from the last bichon - I just didn't want to hurt again... and then one day, I decided that the only reason for the grief is because of all the love. The love won. I'm blessed to have her in my life for as long as I have her.

Goodness, how scary!  I'm glad to hear you are doing well and did not need surgery.  Your dog sounds wonderful(I'm a 'cat person" but love reading peoples' dog stories)

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Goodness, how scary!  I'm glad to hear you are doing well and did not need surgery.  Your dog sounds wonderful(I'm a 'cat person" but love reading peoples' dog stories)

I'm a cat person too - I've known over 100 cats very well... and have had fulltime relationships with about 20 (they've lived with me for their lifetime) and have soooo many fun stories about them, their interactions with my dogs, etc. I've also had lots of grief, as does anyone who falls in love with their fur baby. It's inevitable.

I live on a lake, and my neighbours know me as "that woman who takes her dogs and cats on the standup board".  They also like the canoe, the kayak, and the boogie board, but the most spectacular is the s-u-b. I've only taken one of each at a time, in case you have a vision that would be really crazy... and I stay close to shore in case they end up going for a swim - it has happened, but rarely.

The neighbours all run out to the end of their dock and take pictures as we go by. I guess I'm the resident entertainment for the city folk 😉

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

@Bliss, I'm so glad you listened to your dog. (What is her name?) Just think if you had not. Dogs are way smarter than people, and that's a fact jack.

A friend who owned a dog I bred, she was shocked awake by the dog one night, it was barking and jumping on and off and on and off the bed, barking and barking. Her house was on fire. If not for the dog, she would have perished.

Another friend was out working in his shop. His wife, daughter and dog were in the house. The dog started running from window to window barking non stop. The daughter told the dog to shut the eff up, but the wife went outside and found the man bleeding out in the driveway from a power saw accident. She applied a tourniquet, called 911 and he was airlifted to hospital. He would have died if not for the dog.

And those are just two stories of friends of mine. Think how many others there are, including yours, where dogs saved a life. Many dog "heroes" are recognized and given awards by AKC and major kennel clubs every year.

I've shown a lot of Bichons and have some funny stories about them, but most are jokes on me when I was working for a professional handler. I don't know a lot about them personally though since I didn't live with them like I lived with the Goldens and other sporting dogs I showed myself. The Goldens were a joy, always. As is yours!

I disagree. There is a market for that book.

Re the book, I'll let you know if I ever make time to actually do it. It is on my bucket list.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Bliss said:

I live on a lake, and my neighbours know me as "that woman who takes her dogs and cats on the standup board".  They also like the canoe, the kayak, and the boogie board, but the most spectacular is the s-u-b.

Hilarious! They do make flotation vests for dogs. Probably cats, too, who knows!

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Hilarious! They do make flotation vests for dogs. Probably cats, too, who knows!

I know... but I prefer they be able to swim. They always can... and I'm never in deep water. I hope it isn't that I'm too cheap.

(I do put fleece booties on paws in winter - more for the laughs at the tin soldier dances I see than to be a kind human.)

My last bichon never knew she was a dog. I never told her. She used to swim out to me while I was out in the lake... and bichons historically HATE the water. I mean, it totally wrecks their "do".

She didn't care. She just wanted to be with me. And I with her! Still miss her... she was a one-of-a-kind. As they all are - but all my neighbours say the same thing, so I know it's not just me being biased. She had personality plus, wasn't annoying in any way, and made absolutely everyone laugh at her antics.

One example: as a puppy, she was a natural retriever... loved to play ball or frisbee, and learned quickly that it made sense to bring it back to me so that I'd throw it again and again. And again. Many a sore arm. My daughter threw her fave ball (spongey) and someone else threw her flexible frisbee - at the same time! My Dad and I were watching her... she ran to the ball, picked it up and put it on the frisbee and tried to pick the frisbee up but the ball fell off. Then, she picked up the frisbee, put it on top of the ball, and bit the frisbee like a taco with the ball clutched inside... brought them both back to us. Dad nudged me and said, "that's one smart little girl"... and he was right. She was smarter than most people at a lot of things.

She howled at the opera singer in that Bruce Willis movie (sorry, can't remember the title... old age), river-danced on her regulation-sized plastic frisbee, boxed with my maine c*** (they were the same size), and carried toys everywhere - she'd give them to anyone who visited, engaging them in retrieving or tug of war.

She fell in love with a newborn kitten and watched it for 3 weeks straight. Her only breaks were to eat, drink, and relieve herself. She even slept watching her Sugar. Once the kitten started walking, she followed her everywhere. It was an incredible relationship and although I was supposed to get rid of all the kittens, I just couldn't. Sugar stayed.

• Love 4

@saber5055, do you mind me asking what breed of dog that is in your profile photo? He looks exactly like my beloved pup who died a year ago. I never knew what breed he was (he was a rescue) but some people thought he was a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, which I could see. Anyway, any time I see that picture on here it makes me both happy and a little sad. (But mostly happy.)

• Love 2
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

@saber5055, do you mind me asking what breed of dog that is in your profile photo?

My avatar is indeed a Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen, that's amazing you recognized it. Can you PM a photo of your dog to me, or post it here? I can possibly help you find another PB if you want.

On 4/27/2019 at 12:04 AM, saber5055 said:

@Mindthinkr, I hope you are doing well and NOLA weather has improved. It was on national news showing the flooded streets in the Quarter and the empty jazz fest set up sitting there in the pouring rain. The tornadoes that went through Louisiana were massive, at least you missed those.

I've also been worried about you since that escapade you told us about. I feel like your mom now, you need to check in, I'm setting a curfew on you!

Meanwhile, if you want a laugh, we are slated to get 4-8 inches of snow tomorrow. Take THAT, people with Spring Fever.

Just got home late yesterday although my flights were scheduled for Monday. They oversold seats, had a mechanical problem with a plane and someone in the airport mentioned a computer glitch in Charlotte. Translation: I was stuck there for an extra day, but my friend in Metairie picked me up and we made the best of it. I’m still tired, but will be going to the post office tomorrow to mail you the goodie. The flavor of the Quarter has changed over the years. They had many problems with the jazz fest and yes, I got caught in that downpour. No tornadoes that I heard of. Lol...thanks Mom. I’m fine and will be very happy to watch tonight and post. 

I was sorry to hear about Alex having strong sad feelings. 

• Love 6

@Mindthinkr, it's such a relief to hear from you, I've been thinking about you and, frankly, Mom was worried. Glad you made it home okay. Airline travel can be exhausting when it ends up being hurry up and wait, then hurry up ... and go back to your hotel. Or grab a seat in the concourse to take an overnight nap.

Welcome home! Rest up, watch tonight's show from under a blanket on your couch!

• Love 1

@Mindthinkr - It's a shame the weather was so bad, but c'est la vie as far as Jazz Fest is concerned unfortunately. My parents have VIP passes for the 50th anniversary, and while they are bummed that the Stones cancelled, they have been having a blast, and my dad has decided that Katy Perry is not so bad after all (he had the same revelation about Pitbull after seeing him at Jazz Fest a few years ago). Meanwhile my mom is excited for Tom Jones tomorrow. 

Glad you had a local friend to hang with rather than having to sit at the airport. And yes the quarter sucks these days. I first noticed it really changing about 6 years ago. Sad. 

• Love 3

DH & I have been to NOLA about six times, but the last was in 2000.  It's our favorite place, and makes me sad to read that it has changed, I assume not for the better.  I don't imagine we'll get back there, but maybe with a little luck...

Can either of you elaborate?  PM if you wish.

• Love 1

We have family (daughter and grandkids) in NOLA that we visit twice a year. They live Uptown near Tulane. When we visit we stay at the Parkview Guest House on St. Charles next to Audubon Park, walking to their house to visit. I like to stay at Hampton Inn on St. Charles in the Garden District, taking the street car to Uptown. I realize this isn't the French Quarter, but we've never had any problems and spend lots of time walking. We also stayed in the Business District for a wedding a few years ago. No problems there, even in the evenings.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well my friends in Metairie threw a crawfish boil. 780 lbs of them! 

That looks like enough for me. What would everyone else eat? (Looks WONDERFUL.) Lucky you ... that I was not there!

3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Katy Perry is not so bad after all (he had the same revelation about Pitbull after seeing him at Jazz Fest a few years ago).

I like Katy Perry and I love Pitbull. Too bad about the Stones, it would have been something to see Mick. Maybe they can be there next year. Tell your mom not to throw her underwear at Tom Jones. Unless she wants to.

What's happened to the Quarter? I haven't been there for some years. Went to Mardi Gras once, then was there for business. Less drunks and "handsy" guys on the business trip.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We have family (daughter and grandkids) in NOLA that we visit twice a year. They live Uptown near Tulane. When we visit we stay at the Parkview Guest House on St. Charles next to Audubon Park, walking to their house to visit. I like to stay at Hampton Inn on St. Charles in the Garden District, taking the street car to Uptown. I realize this isn't the French Quarter, but we've never had any problems and spend lots of time walking. We also stayed in the Business District for a wedding a few years ago. No problems there, even in the evenings.

Have done the tourist-y trolley through the Garden District and loved it!  My kind of historical architecture.  Every trip, we have stayed in the Quarter, at the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon, with a balcony so as to get in our jammies, split a hurricane, and watch the madness at night lol.  I do know that there is crime in the Quarter, and one shouldn't venture too far in any direction save maybe the Jackson Square direction.  I would stay in the Garden District in a minute!  Hope we get the chance.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That looks like enough for me. What would everyone else eat? (Looks WONDERFUL.) Lucky you ... that I was not there!

5 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Would you believe that I am totally allergic to shellfish and couldn’t eat one bite of anything that came out of that pot. Trust me, everyone else enjoyed it to the max. 

5 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

DH & I have been to NOLA about six times, but the last was in 2000.  It's our favorite place, and makes me sad to read that it has changed, I assume not for the better.  I don't imagine we'll get back there, but maybe with a little luck...

Can either of you elaborate?  PM if you wish.

I’m not certain of what question that you are asking, but if you want to know anything specific PM me and I will answer. It was a rough experience for me and I only told y’all about one trouble. Trust me, it was much worse than I posted about. 

We had a crawfish boil on Good Friday. Very traditional for Easter weekend. I didn't eat too much because I ran a 10k the next morning & didn't want to be bloated. My sister isn't allergic to shellfish, but doesn't like it. Girl b crazy! @Mindthinkr - What did you eat when you were there? Let us live vicariously through you. And I just read about your incident. Don't know how I missed it earlier. So sorry that happened to you. 

The quarter has gotten more & more dangerous & trashy throughout the years. And after Katrina, to me, it lost some of its local atmosphere & uniqueness as companies not from NOLA moved in. Not to say I'm not grateful for the funds that they infused  into the economy when it was sorely needed, but seeing chain restaurants & stores everywhere is a jolt. And the historic aspect is being chipped away at. 

I love the Garden District and it's fun to take the streetcar down St Charles to downtown. 

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I like Katy Perry and I love Pitbull. Too bad about the Stones, it would have been something to see Mick. Maybe they can be there next year. Tell your mom not to throw her underwear at Tom Jones. Unless she wants to.

I like them also, they're just not standard fare for a 75-year old who loves classical music, The Stones, The Beatles, jazz, Eric Clapton, etc. He does like Prince, but who doesn't? I had asked my mom about throwing undies also, and she said maybe...lol 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

@Toothbrush I did have a very fine lunch at Copeland’s in Metairie. This is a bruschetta with melted Brie, a oyster dipped in cream spinach, dredged and then fried with crispy procuitto on top. So good we had to have a second order of them. The sauce around the side of the dish is Hollandaise. Rich, but definitely food of the Gods. Oysters, clams and octopus are the only things that I can eat out of the water for which I am grateful. 2868CB60-7A4B-4BD9-A4D1-6C762169828E.jpeg.bb25bc0129b6823fdca13a5b55bbd976.jpeg

• Love 2
On 5/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, saber5055 said:

My avatar is indeed a Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen, that's amazing you recognized it. Can you PM a photo of your dog to me, or post it here? I can possibly help you find another PB if you want.

Here he is. Best. Dog. Ever. Thanks for the offer, but I already have my hands full with 2 other dogs. Funny story: My latest came to me because he was advertised by the rescue group as a PBGV. I really wanted one of those. He arrived for the meet and greet, and I knew he wasn’t what they said because he’s too small. But he was sweet, and needed a home, so he stayed. He’s actually a long haired dachshund mix. Definitely not a PBGV. But I guess it counts because they’re both hounds? No regrets, though.

DC0742DA-6C7F-41D1-BE5F-0FBF797AACF2.jpeg

• Love 8

@Toothbrush, that’s actually a photo of my original dog, the PBGV. @saber5055 had asked to see a picture. He’s no longer living, sadly, but he was beautiful and he did have a happy life. My current dog is also adorable and he does have short doxie legs (and giant bear paws)! I’d upload a photo of him, too, but I don’t think everyone wants to see pictures of all my dogs, LOL!

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

@Toothbrush, that’s actually a photo of my original dog, the PBGV. @saber5055 had asked to see a picture. He’s no longer living, sadly, but he was beautiful and he did have a happy life. My current dog is also adorable and he does have short doxie legs (and giant bear paws)! I’d upload a photo of him, too, but I don’t think everyone wants to see pictures of all my dogs, LOL!

I do!  There’s a pets thread under the larger Everything Else topic, too, if you don’t want to post here.  I’d link to it, but I have no idea how to do that with an iPad.  🙂 

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I do!  There’s a pets thread under the larger Everything Else topic, too, if you don’t want to post here.  I’d link to it, but I have no idea how to do that with an iPad.  🙂 

Here's a link to the first page of the Pets thread:

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I do!!!

@Moose135 @Mindthinkr A pet thread? Oh my! There goes any chance of me being productive today. Thank you, I think 😉

There is a Pet thread where a lot of us regularly post photos. It never fails to bring a smile to my face. 

Edited to add: 

I should have read back before answering. Oops. Sorry. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1

Thanks, everyone. You are all so nice and welcoming. I have been trying to upload a photo of my little bigfooted muppet, but the site won’t let me. It keeps giving an error message that I can only upload 1000kb, yet my file is only 45kb. And I recently uploaded a photo of the same size, so I’m guessing there’s a bug in the system. Maybe someday I’ll get to share his face with the world, but not today! 😔

• Love 1