Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Call It Paradise

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Mills and Brett race to recover a missing teenager and are left stranded in the unforgiving elements, while the rest of Firehouse 51 babysits an abandoned newborn. Severide receives an interesting job proposal. Boden finds himself at odds with his father over his treatment and the planning of a big party in his honor.

I'm not done with the episode but Why aren't Gabby's first words HEY I FOUND A FUCKING BABY, as opposed to asking for Mills and Sylvie and having Matt ask why.

And why is Matt acting like he doesn't have nieces or honorary nephews and has no idea how to hold a baby? And WHY is Sylvie going into dark abandoned building by herself?

God, I hate them all. All except Christopher.

• Love 4

And why is Matt acting like he doesn't have nieces or honorary nephews and has no idea how to hold a baby? And WHY is Sylvie going into dark abandoned building by herself?

Yeah, especially after she and Mills just had that big abduction ordeal a couple of weeks ago. It seems that this show is running out of ideas because they keep repeating the same few story lines over and over. Mills and Brett are in danger, Gabby is perfect, great at everything she does and is the most awesome firefighter in the world, Casey continues to put up with Gabby's shit and hides his feelings from her, a couple of the CPD guys show up to help them catch a murder every few episodes, etc. I don't know that this show will get a 4th season - at this point I'm almost hoping it doesn't.

• Love 1

Yeah, especially after she and Mills just had that big abduction ordeal a couple of weeks ago. It seems that this show is running out of ideas because they keep repeating the same few story lines over and over. Mills and Brett are in danger, Gabby is perfect, great at everything she does and is the most awesome firefighter in the world, Casey continues to put up with Gabby's shit and hides his feelings from her, a couple of the CPD guys show up to help them catch a murder every few episodes, etc. I don't know that this show will get a 4th season - at this point I'm almost hoping it doesn't.

YES to everything you said!! I m so sick of this show now, damn Gabby is so annoying, i think i ll just stop watching it but on the other side I really do like the firefighters Herman, Casey, Severide...

• Love 2

Who didn't see Shaft dying? I mean, that couldn't be telegraphed more. I liked the Molly's scene.

Also, CLEARLY the girl at the bar is trouble. I kept waiting when they got to her house for her husband to pop up. She had crazy eyes. Casey needs a refresher on Barney Stinson's crazy/hot scale.

and then of course the previews show just that - but she can't just be married, she has to be married to his boss!

I'm glad Severide is starting to heal. I am waiting for the blonde captain to officially hit on Kelly.

Not only is Gabby a super duper firefighter/detective/paramedic, but she is also a hostage negotiator! #specialsnowflake GAH

• Love 1

Could they just give Casey a chick who wants to have a baby with him who is not complete drama?

I too think -40 weather is ridiculous but I didn't like how over the top Cruz was acting about it.  This is a dude that looked in the eyes of a gang leader and let him die in a fire. Man up a little.

Brett and Mills are in peril...again...

Why does that blond haired Captain always look kinda strung out?

Edited by miracole
  • Love 1

It just staggers me that they seem to use this show to boost Chicago PD when this one stinks so terribly.  Much of what is wrong is already mentioned above.  Could we PLEASE, if this show has to stay on the air, get back to the FIREfighters?  I am so tired of Casey and Severide making such stuuuuuupid decisions about women that I may well have to stop watching.  So sick of Gabby.  I love the other guys, I love Severide when he's on a difficult rescue, mostly I love Christopher.  More of them, much, much less of the rest.  Please!

• Love 2

I was not ready for Gabby as Madonna, the Catholic not the pop singer kind.  I would have much rather have seen Hermann or Otis step in with the baby.  Mouch would have melted my heart.

I am so tired of Casey and Severide making such stuuuuuupid decisions about women that I may well have to stop watching.

The only logical rationale for that is that, beneath the eye candy, Casey and Severide,are severely damaged from traumatic childhoods.  Case's mother did kill his father.  Severide's father is stuck in the me! me! stage of psychic development.  Do we even know anything about Severide's mother?

I too think -40 weather is ridiculous but I didn't like how over the top Cruz was acting about it.  This is a dude that looked in the eyes of a gang leader and let him die in a fire. Man up a little.

Yeah, that was not attractive.  Didn't he grow up in Chicago?  Warm up with a few rounds of Zumba.

I have thought the same thing.  She is not thin in the good way.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

When does Gabby get her super hero cape? 

How is it possible the writers and producers haven't realized St. Gabby is killing this show? There were so many good options for last night's episode, it could have been good. But nope, we got Gabby hour yet again and it was just eye-rollingly bad and cliche. 

• Love 3

Now we're gonna get to see Gabby throw a fit when she realizes Casey slept with someone else. 

*sigh*

Just once I'd like to see a show take that route and have the woman not throw a fit about it.  It would be a nice change of pace.  Gabby is the one who wanted to put the brakes on.  I can understand her being a little jealous, but I don't need the histrionics that are inevitably gonna go along with it.  Let her tell him it hurt her feelings that he'd move on so quickly, but don't use it as reason #287871 they need to be apart.  The drama about them not being able to make it work while they work together is drama enough.  

Any real firefighters want to comment on Arson Lady's hair? Would she just be allowed to walk around with Victoria's Secret Runway Model hair like that? I would think she'd have to AT LEAST have it in a ponytail. 

Nothing more needs to be said about Saint Gabby. She's the woooooorst. /jeanralphio'd. And thanks, writers, for not even telling us how the crazy gun-toting lady even knew about the baby in the first place. Is she the kidnapper? If so, why did she kidnap a baby only to leave it at a firehouse in freezing weather? 

• Love 2

She was wearing way too much eyeliner. I'm a guy who normally never notices makeup, so if I'm noticing it, you know it's really hitting me over the head.

The only part I cared about this episode was Papa Boden's death. Yeah it was way telegraphed and was really manipulative. But the way Eamonn Walker played the last scene just slayed me. 

• Love 2

It just staggers me that they seem to use this show to boost Chicago PD when this one stinks so terribly.

I guess because it seems to be working. There's been some kind of hourglass effect where CF is losing viewers and while CPD is gaining. And lately CPD's ratings are now either the same or higher than CF's.

I don't have much more to add about the episode. I tended to zone out for the Gabby scenes and I just couldn't with Brett exploring the empty building.

Also, CLEARLY the girl at the bar is trouble. I kept waiting when they got to her house for her husband to pop up. She had crazy eyes. Casey needs a refresher on Barney Stinson's crazy/hot scale.

and then of course the previews show just that - but she can't just be married, she has to be married to his boss!

The drama on this show is so exhausting. It's tiring just watching it.

...Arson Lady's hair?

Yes, you are correct, but I have long since given up trying to get over the many inconsistencies between the reel and the real.  Still, it is kind of jarring to see them the first time.  You just have to roll with it.

When does Gabby get her super hero cape? 

How is it possible the writers and producers haven't realized St. Gabby is killing this show? There were so many good options for last night's episode, it could have been good. But nope, we got Gabby hour yet again and it was just eye-rollingly bad and cliche. 

Don't you know, she borrowed it from JJ of Criminal minds?  Gabby is just as bad as JJ, stinking up her show, being the best at everything.

Edited by Lillybee

So Casey's new friend is going to be some crazy stalker firefighter groupie right?

Also I had to laugh when they were going on about how cold it was. I live in Canada in a city that right now that is way colder than Chicago.  Google tells me that right now Chicago it is 32 degrees F while where I live it is 14. You know how people stay warm, they wear actual winter clothes, not a little leather jacket like Severide was wearing. 

Then again I have to laugh about how they keep going on about winter but I don't think I saw any snow on the ground.

Of course Casey can't be with a nice, normal girl. They need to show us that awesome, motherly Gabby is the perfect woman for him. That's why they killed off Hallie in the first place.

Do the writers/showrunners and such pay a lot of attention to the fans on twitter/facebook? Because, yikes. I know every couple has fans, but I checked out CF on twitter once and there are Dawson and Casey, or "Dawsey" fans on there who will bombard the writers, actors and anyone else connected to the show like non-stop. The crazy "linstead" fans from CPD are worse. I used to watch soaps so I know how the fangirls work. Each fan makes several (or more) accounts, buys followers and then tweets like a madman to make it look like their couple is popular and then threatens them if things don't go their way. It's creepy but I wonder if that's why they shove Gabby in our faces so much. Every offliner I know just hates her.

That blonde Captain lady can't pull off long hair.

Don't you know, she borrowed it from JJ of Criminal minds?  Gabby is just as bad as JJ, stinking up her show, being the best at everything.

Oh I think she passed JJ a while ago and is now quickly approaching Ziva from NCIS territory. It would be comical if it wasn't so infuriating.

• Love 2

<sarcasm> I am SO glad that Gabby found the baby and took ownership, because the guys would have just layed it on a cot and forgotten about it, and given it back to the "mom" the first time she came in </sarcasm>

It would have been nice to see how the baby ended up in a box at the firestation - but I guess I'll have to turn in to CPD for any real answers.

Thinking about going back and re-watching Season 1 - I miss my show.

I absolutely felt Cruz - I grew up in the Chicago area and live in Indy now...these cloudy 11 degree days get harder each passing year - Florida and sunshine are pretty appealing right now.

<sarcasm> I am SO glad that Gabby found the baby and took ownership, because the guys would have just layed it on a cot and forgotten about it, and given it back to the "mom" the first time she came in </sarcasm>

It would have been nice to see how the baby ended up in a box at the firestation - but I guess I'll have to turn in to CPD for any real answers.

If Gabby hadn't found it you would have seen every tired old cliched "three men and a baby" gag about how to change a diaper, how to feed/burp a baby and all that sort of thing. 

I would be surprised if there was any kind of follow up in the PD show. I just assumed that it was this woman's boyfriend who dropped off the baby, because he realized that the crazy lady had kidnapped her. 

In all fairness, if they filmed this episode in early January, then it really was that cold in Chicago (we had a week of sub-zero temperatures).  I remember it was 12 below zero one of the days with a 30 below (or more) wind chill. I've lived in Chicago and the suburbs my entire life.  While the cold & snowy winters are no fun, we deal with it.  I agree that they certainly didn't dress for the weather (do they on any shows?) and Cruz was definitely OTT in his misery, although they probably just threw that in for comic relief. 

I think the girl Casey took home with him is going to turn out to be a superior's wife.  This isn't a spoiler because it was in the previews for next week's episode.  The firehouse is getting a new chief (hope Boden isn't leaving for good and that he's just taking time off to grieve for his dad) and that Casey's new "friend" is going to turn out to be his new bosses wife.     

If Gabby hadn't found it you would have seen every tired old cliched "three men and a baby" gag about how to change a diaper, how to feed/burp a baby and all that sort of thing. 

I would be surprised if there was any kind of follow up in the PD show. I just assumed that it was this woman's boyfriend who dropped off the baby, because he realized that the crazy lady had kidnapped her. 

We would have, which would have been ridiculous given Bowden has a new baby and Christopher has like 8 kids, including a toddler who might still be in diapers. 

• Love 2

In all fairness, if they filmed this episode in early January, then it really was that cold in Chicago (we had a week of sub-zero temperatures).  I remember it was 12 below zero one of the days with a 30 below (or more) wind chill. I've lived in Chicago and the suburbs my entire life.  While the cold & snowy winters are no fun, we deal with it.  I agree that they certainly didn't dress for the weather (do they on any shows?) and Cruz was definitely OTT in his misery, although they probably just threw that in for comic relief. 

I am curious (I have never been to Chicago), if it was so cold, why was there no snow on the ground? It kind of took me out of it when they kept talking about how cold it was, but the streets, and sidewalks and lawn areas had hardly any snow on them (if any).

So Casey's new friend is going to be some crazy stalker firefighter groupie right?

Also I had to laugh when they were going on about how cold it was. I live in Canada in a city that right now that is way colder than Chicago.  Google tells me that right now Chicago it is 32 degrees F while where I live it is 14. You know how people stay warm, they wear actual winter clothes, not a little leather jacket like Severide was wearing. 

Then again I have to laugh about how they keep going on about winter but I don't think I saw any snow on the ground.

They exaggerated but Chicago gets plenty cold. All sorts of 2 degree weather happened this winter.  

And they are actually likely to wear little coats when they know they're only outside from door to door.

So true Kel - it would have been worse to have the bumbling men folk trying to figure out how this baby thing works - grabbing duct tape for the diaper.

Thankfully cold and snow don't always go together- I can deal with 11 degree temps - Can't deal with 10 inches of snow on the ground.  Still feeling Cruz - he needs a trip to Florida or SoCal

So true Kel - it would have been worse to have the bumbling men folk trying to figure out how this baby thing works - grabbing duct tape for the diaper.

Thankfully cold and snow don't always go together- I can deal with 11 degree temps - Can't deal with 10 inches of snow on the ground.  Still feeling Cruz - he needs a trip to Florida or SoCal

Otis's brand new truck 81 shirt would have been used in place of a diaper, like you said held on with duct tape.

I get that every cold snap doesn't equal snow (where I am in Eastern Ontario there is an extreme cold warning it actually is supposed to drop below -40 with windchill here tonight). But if it is the middle of winter shouldn't there be some snow on the ground at least from previous snow falls? 

Edited by Kel Varnsen

Otis's brand new truck 81 shirt would have been used in place of a diaper, like you said held on with duct tape.

I get that every cold snap doesn't equal snow (where I am in Eastern Ontario there is an extreme cold warning it actually is supposed to drop below -40 with windchill here tonight). But if it is the middle of winter shouldn't there be some snow on the ground at least from previous snow falls? 

I can say here in Indianapolis this year we've gotten a whole 6 inches total - the last measureable snow fall was about a month ago.  Last year we were buried in 54 inches.

You do have a point, the Chicago area generally gets more snow, they have the lake effect stuff - I think about a week ago they got around 18 inches.  Didn't they show snow when they went on the ambo run to the abandoned warehouse? 

Going to Molly's to make a baby bottle out of washed out beer bottles using a rubber glove as the nipple -

Thank Goodness for Super Gabby -

• Love 1

I am curious (I have never been to Chicago), if it was so cold, why was there no snow on the ground? It kind of took me out of it when they kept talking about how cold it was, but the streets, and sidewalks and lawn areas had hardly any snow on them (if any).

There was snow.  I swore I saw it when I watched the show live, but just double-checked via On-Demand to make sure, LOL.  There was snow in the opening scene when Severide pulls up in his car in front of the firehouse and again, later, when the ambulance is sitting outside that abandoned factory while Brett & Mills dealt with their frostbitten high patients.  It does get very cold here without snow too, but in this case (assuming they filmed during our extreme cold spell) we got about 5" of snow right before the extreme cold hit.

That blonde Captain lady can't pull off long hair.

I would think the arson "department" would have trained arson investigators. Severide  is so good as an investigator where was he trained?. Gabby helped plus she helped capture the arsonist, why wasn't she offered the job as captain?

Why do people who post here watch it if they hate it? Just asking.

I LOVED the show in Season 1 and most of Season 2 - this year they have gone to a total Gabby Centric show and I don't like that.  I watch because I love the other characters and hope that they will start to focus on them more, and revert back to the way Season 1 was.  I watch optimistically...but it fades with each Super Gabby Hour.

• Love 2

I smell a Chicago Med in our future. 

I agree I'm getting sick of the Gabby hour and agree with whomever posted that Mouch would have melted my heart if he had any interaction with the baby and I would have thought that Herman would have stepped up being that he has a baseball team of kids at home.

When Casey was giving the eye to the woman at the end of the bar I was screaming at the TV "no Casey NOT her!" she gave off a creepy vibe.

• Love 1
When Casey was giving the eye to the woman at the end of the bar I was screaming at the TV "no Casey NOT her!" she gave off a creepy vibe.

Of course she did, because Casey has to realize how fabulous Gabby is and what a mistake it was for them to split. Sigh.

I watch for the same reason. The other characters are good. Christopher is all kinds of awesome, I find myself liking the Cruz/Brett coupling, Mouch is fun, Kelly and Casey are good . . . Then there's Dawson. She is not a strong enough actress and her character is weighing down a show. I start hopefully based on the trailer, and then here she comes. I hate all the wasted potential.

I know it's only a show, but that is not what dying of cancer looks like. I wish it were.

Are there any people commenting on Chicago Fire who watched One Life to Live? The Woman Casey hooked up with played Jessica on there. Like you all I'm sick of Gabby what a Mary sue . I watch this show for other characters like Mouch Otis Hermann. Really liking the Cruz/Brett couple.

Edited by jay741982

The crazy thing about Gabby is she has to be the most hateful Mary Sue ever. I always thought they were the ones who do everything so awesomely, but Gabby is an unadulterated bitch. It's just that we're not supposed to like the people who call her out any better.

• Love 1

Exactly. This was a really good opportunity to do something different with the cold weather snap - all kinds of possibilities for dangerous rescues, someone falling through the ice, the fire hoses freezing up, what have you. Nope. Instead, someone leaves a baby at the fire house. Uh really? That could happen any time of the year. Why set up a weather event and then not do anything relevant with it? God, this show and its wasted opportunities!

• Love 1