Type keyword(s) to search

Your Favorite AHS Characters

• Start Topic

In response to the ridiculous list that Huffpost put out (see media thread, the "Piggy Man?" Really? Come on!), I thought we should compile our own favorite character lists.   Base it on whatever grounds you see fit,  name as many as you like for whatever reasons.

I'm basing mine on pure entertainment factor, in order:

1.  Sister Jude: A nuanced, fascinating character that was never boring.  I loved her.

2.  Fiona Goode: I wasn't even a Coven fan, but Fiona was so much delicious fun.

3.  Twisty:  By far the scariest character, sent chills down my spine. Love that damn clown.

4.  Dr. Oliver Thredson:  2nd scariest. 

5.  Tie - Dandy Mott and Sister Mary Eunice: both extremely entertaining characters; had me laughing and scared at the same time.

Seems the characters & gorgeous sets on this series have been better than the plotlines.

Edited by jnymph
  • Love 2

I'm not delving too deep and going most by pure entertainment factor with this list.

1. Sister Mary Eunice/Satan - Definitely the most wickedly entertaining character, and at the same time one of the most heartbreaking.

2. Constance - Delicious.

3. Myrtle Snow - Just awesome.

4. Sister Jude - The most nuanced and interesting of Lange's characters.

5. Hayden - Hardly sympathetic but I thought Kate Mara was fantastic and I loved every second of Hayden's histrionics.

6. Dandy - Twistedly hot and entertaining, but I enjoyed him the most when he was paired up with...

7. Gloria - The most entertaining duo in Freak Show.

8. Nan - The most entertaining witch in the coven.

9. Amazon Eve - Again, just awesome.

10. Marcy - Her interactions with Vivian were hilarious.

11. Angel of Death - Yes, yes, more Frances Conroy love, but this character was really cool.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 3

I'll go with Lana Winters as my absolute favourite, and by far the best performance on the show. I thought she was a smart character that was easy to sympathise with, and I enjoyed watching her even when her storyline got more and more ridiculous. Like bouncing from the asylum to that psychopath's lair to that crazy guy in the car to the asylum to wherever. She's tough, but she's no cookie.

Mary Eunice for being hilarious and singing You Don't Own Me to a crucifix.

Literally every character played by Frances Conroy. The random prisoner in Jude's hallucination in Asylum because of whatever accent she was doing. The Angel of Death, just because. Her comic timing as Myrtle and Gloria was flawless, and she's easily been my favourite part of the past two seasons.

Vivienne, because if Connie Britton is around she's going to be one of my favourites regardless of what she's been stuck with. She managed to give a pretty good, grounded performance despite...um, the entire show being kind of the opposite of that.

Delphine, because of the way Kathy Bates said the word 'lies'. Ethel because of that accent. Madison for 'surprise, bitch!' and being generally hilarious. Misty Day and both characters played by Angela Basset, mostly because I liked the performances. Queenie, too. Constance for the odd way she pronounced 'TIMES SQUARE??!'. I can't remember the name of Denis O'Hare's mostly silent character in Coven, but every time the show allowed him to talk cracked me up.

Realising I only like most of these characters because of the great performances, not all of them would work for me on paper.

• Love 3

Season One: I'm going to be that annoying person that lists Tate as my number one. Loved the Harmons. I enjoyed all the ghosts (except Chad), but my favorites were Hayden, Moira (young and old), and Nora Montgomery.

Season Two: Mary Eunice, but I remember thinking the ending of her storyline was kind of underwhelming. Jude. 

Season Three: Misty and Myrtle all the way, baby! Also, Fiona. She got tiresome by the end, but she also got some truly amazing lines. 

Season Four: Mainly Twisty, Edward Mordrake, and the Dandy and Gloria combo (still upset he didn't talk her into a killing spree). 

Edited by Beezel

Well, Tate was a typical AHS over-the-top caricature -- so I suppose Murphy is telling us he doesn't think Kliebold or Harris would show remorse.  It's hypothetical, of course, but I happen to agree with him.  So Tate is that stereotype.

ETA:  We have close family who have lived in Littleton for over twenty years and I have read the amazing David Cullen book.  I know more than I ever want to about those monsters.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

My favorite characters come down to my favorite acting performances. I also really loved the character of Tate. I had never seen Even Peters in anything before Murder House, and that kid just blew me away with his performance! I felt the same way about Finn Whitrock as Dandy: Who is this guy? Wow, what an amazing actor! So I'd say that they're pretty neck-in-neck for my favorite character. My third favorite performer is Frances Conroy, and her characters of Gloria and Myrtle are pretty darn close; I think Myrtle was the only part of Coven that I enjoyed. Jessica Lange was captivating as Constance, and I think each season's character has gone progressively downhill for her--less brilliant in Asylum, just okay in Coven, and cringeworthy in Freak Show. Yet, Aslylum was my overall favorite season, and I just adored Lily Rabe as Sister Mary Eunice and Sarah Paulson as Lana Winters.

• Love 2

It's been so long since I've seen Asylum, but I loved Sister Jude for being so multi-faceted, and Lana Winters, especially bad-ass 1970's journalist babe Lana Winters. The scenes with the Angel of Death were so odd and depressing and perfectly performed by Conroy, Lange, and Rabe.

Ma Petite for sentimental reasons. She made every moment she was in better. I giggled every time she would cry "Miss Elsa"!

Fiona Goode and Marie Laveau were both delicious, even when the show got campier. "She only killed the neighbor, but the bitch had it coming." "C'mon. Be a sport, Papa."

• Love 1

I think Sarah Paulson is overrated and, depending on when and what she's done to her lips at that time can have a lisp & make odd expressions, but I thought her best AHS role and performance was Lana in Asylum she did a great job and it was a compelling character.

I liked Violet in Murder House .

For me, it's a toss between Sister Mary Eunice from Asylum, Leigh Emerson (Santa) from Asylum and Delphine LaLaurie in Coven.  They were all so delightfully depraved.  I may have to add Liz Taylor to my favorites as well.  It seems like Denis O'Hare will be fantastic in that role.

• Love 1

Murder House I liked Tate.

Asylum it was definitely Lana.

Coven it's harder it I would say Cordelia Fox

Freak Show: Dandy Mott

Hotel: So far it is Miss Evers the Laundress but we are only on episode two and that might change.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Murder House -- the maid and the Eric Harris-teen.  

Asylum -- the young nun.

Coven -- Myrtle.

Freakshow -- the shady "I've got a deal for you in Hollywood" guy.  And Twisty (I forgot him!  Thanks for the assist, Sakura12!)

So far in Hotel -- Liz Taylor (even though we know so little about her) and the maid.

Edited by Captanne

My favorite characters are LaLaurie, Myrtle, Marie Laveau, Fiona, Queenie, and Cordelia from Coven; Dandy, Ma Petite and Edward Mordrake from Freak Show; and Sister Jude, Lana, and the Angel of Death from Asylum. I think Evan Peters' character this season will end up joining the list, but not sure about anyone else. I've never been able to finish MH, although I've tried twice.

EDIT: Got the name of two of Lange's characters mixed up. lol

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Murder House - Tate and Moira

Asylum - Lana and Kit

Coven - Zoe, and Misty Day. Loved the Axe man and Myrtle, too!

Freak Show - Jimmy

Hotel - So far it's Miss Evers, and I actually like Wes Bentley's character, too.

Edited by obxchick

Murder House - Constance

Asylum - Sister Jude, Sister Mary Satan, Dr. Arden, Dr. Thredson and Leigh "Bad Santa" Emerson, because, well, Ian McShane

Coven - Fiona, Misty Day, Queenie, LaLaurie, Marie LeVeau, Axman

Freak Show - La Petite, Desiree. Elsa. Amazon Eve.

Hotel - So far Donovan, James P March (my favorite Evan Peters role yet!) Miss Evans, and John and Scarlett Love. Elizabeth Taylor could be on this list before the season's over.

Murder House: Moira and of course Tate

Asylum:Oliver Thredson, Sister Jude, and Kit

Coven: Myrtle Snow

Freak Show: Definitely Edward Mordrake....Swoon! He can haunt me any day. Twisty is a close second. His tragic tale brings tears to my eyes.

Hotel: Iris, Donovan, and Liz Taylor

Murder House: Tate - (Cue teenage girl squeals) He was the scariest part of the whole season. As his past continued to unravel, I continued to fall deeper into love for this show. I still don't know how I feel about him.

Asylum: Oliver Tredson - Bravo Zachary Quinto. You went from love-able gay ghost to disturbing mass murderer in a second. I love characters that shock me and he betrayed my trust...just like Tate. I think his chemistry with the other characters was spot on and not to mention - those eyebrows.

Coven: Fiona Goode - No doubt Jessica Lange's top performance in the series. (RIP) I loved how we got to really get to know her as the season progressed and how she was the hero and the villain at the same time. The well written sassy lines were pulled off and so was the "witch bitch" look. 

Freak Show: Twisty - The best part of Freak Show. I mean whenever he was on screen you could not look away in horror. Plus his back story was arguably one of the most devastating in the show. He was a great installment that ended too soon.

Hotel: Miss Evers - It was hard because Liz Taylor and Mr. March definitely were characters that helped me get through all the unnecessary sexual situations, but Miss Evers was just so TAINTED. Her relationship with Mr. March was extremely entertaining and her personality was love-able as can be.

My all time favorite character has to be the cliche - Tate. That's not just my ovaries talking either. Tate was a one of a kind character. You never knew what to expect with him or his relationships. His demeanor and dialogue were memorable, entertaining, and not to mention, simply scary.