Type keyword(s) to search

Nightwatch - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm liking this one a lot.
Not knowing the people well yet, except Holly. 

That was so awful that they had to pull back and wait for the big foam truck to arrive, but I guess that poor driver was killed almost instantiy.

I hope the woman who cause the accident is charged with as much as possible.

Last week too, the did the procession through the neighborhood to make the police presence known.

I wonder if any other cities do that, and also, if they've found it makes a difference.

• Love 1

Beautiful nighttimes city scape, great camera work, dynamic first responders -- I'm hooked.  Even the soundtrack resonates with me, and Holly rocks -- loving her.  And when that little asthmatic baby fell asleep, my heart just puddled. 

• Love 3

Yes, this is a class show.
I did wonder, after the "officer down," all the cars seemed to go to the hospital, and EMTs Titus & Dan were left waiting for someone to declare it was safe for them to go to the people who were stabbed.

I frankly wish they'd change two things, and only two things. Lose the Jack Bauer clock and drop the cops from this show, or maybe only include their piece of the puzzle when the PD interacts with FD and EMS. Not that I have anything negative to say about that branch of the service--their sacrifices and courage are very real--it's just that we have a zillion cop shows on the air and very little about real-life firefighters and paramedics.

This show is the Real Deal, like The First 48 that airs before it. I only wish it were on an actual broadcast network.

• Love 1

I just happen to catch this show after The First 48. I didn't plan on watching but found I couldn't turn away. Like others I found the paramedics cases most interesting. I actually found myself wanting to follow the patients into the emergency room, especially the gunshot victim who'd been shot in the chest. He was in pretty bad shape. I wonder if he made it?

The guy tripping out who called himself Africa at the height of his trip, I wonder what they did to help him come down? Or would they just have to keep him restrained and let him come down on his own because giving him more drugs would exacerbate the situation?

• Love 1

Thanks for the info. I don't know how I missed this.

Just a heads-up for everyone, if you DVR it, you'll probably need to set it to go over by a minute or two, otherwise you'll miss those outcomes.

I'm really enjoying this show. Just sort of happened across the first episode in repeat (I think) and was hooked. I really like all four of the EMS workers. I also might have a wee crush on Dan.

In tonight's episode, I found the whole Code 4 situation really interesting. I could see how that could lead to some real conflict with bystanders who don't understand. Also, LOL at the guy who fell into the water because his friend's joke was so funny.

I have four hours DVR'ed and came to see if it was any good.  Everyone here likes it, but it's a mighty tiny fanbase. . . ?

(I hope the epilogue cards made the cutoff.  When Intervention does that, I'm a crazy person googling around to see if Cathy X. hit the pipe again, five years ago.)

When I recorded it, it began like at 10:01, so I went into "record options," and changed it to stop record "5 minutes after" the ending time.
If I'm doing several shows on the same channel, you really only need to add time at the end of the last one.
That was a difficult call, when the woman is bleeding badly, and I think the made the right choice to go in, because it was like a fight was ongoing or shots were being fired.

I thought Holly should have been trained to cope with vomit and shit, and should have sucked it up.

It was humiliating the person, and I thought it wasn't right.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 1

One think that shocked me, was that there seemed to be one EMT unit that had the jaws of life.
Are they horribly expensive?  I'd think that at least every fire truck would have one, and ideally every EMT and police car would also.

I frankly wish they'd change two things, and only two things. Lose the Jack Bauer clock and drop the cops from this show, or maybe only include their piece of the puzzle when the PD interacts with FD and EMS. Not that I have anything negative to say about that branch of the service--their sacrifices and courage are very real--it's just that we have a zillion cop shows on the air and very little about real-life firefighters and paramedics.

This show is the Real Deal, like The First 48 that airs before it. I only wish it were on an actual broadcast network.

I oh so agree! Cops have a bajillion shows. I want to see the EMS side only.

I really like this show a lot! 

I thought Holly should have been trained to cope with vomit and shit, and should have sucked it up.

It was humiliating the person, and I thought it wasn't right.

Exactly! Where is the professionalism? On another episode a different PM did the same "gagging", walking away etc. although he did apologize why is he a medic if he cant handle body fluids or smells? They cover that like day 1! WTF? 

One think that shocked me, was that there seemed to be one EMT unit that had the jaws of life.

Are they horribly expensive?  I'd think that at least every fire truck would have one, and ideally every EMT and police car would also.

In most cities, Fire is the only one allowed & trained to use the JOL. 

• Love 1

Well if everyone can't have one, Fire makes sense, but here Fire didn't have it, a certain rescue EMT did.

Are you sure? There are different types of Firetrucks, like the one who had the foam for the fire at the gas station, and I think they had to wait for the firetruck(maybe the rescue truck) that had the jaws

I'm pretty sure it was a firetruck.  I know for a fact that it was the fire fighters operating the equipment.  My husband is a firefighter and they are the only ones who do the JOL. 

Thanks all, for the JOL information.
I do think more should be around, and more trained to use them.

Last week's was a low key one, and it was nice to see one where (I think) everybody lived.

I can see having the cops though, because this shows them on routine patrol, whereas the other shows usually focus on big cases.

They are very expensive. Probably close to $25,000 to $40,000 per set, depending on the options. There's a gasoline engine that powers a hydraulic pump with about 10,000 to 25,000 pounds of force, all the hoses, a cutter and a spreader (sometimes combined), as well as associated tools, storage containers, etc. In this case they were using a newer battery-powered unit, which I find a little scary in a place with a lot of rain and high temperatures, since Li-ON batteries discharge very fast in those conditions. Most FDs have dedicated rescue squads that are called out to pin jobs. They drill regularly on extrications, which is a very specific skill and usually done as a team. I was pretty sure it was FD that used the Hurst but it could have been the fast-response EMS--I'll have to re-watch to see for sure.

Edited by NJ RadioGuy
  • Love 1

Sad to watch the last episode last night, but hoping it returns (like Gavin!) for another season.  I'm gonna miss everyone's Nawlins drawl.  I liked the bit about how they all have to wear helmets at midnight because of the yahoos who shoot guns in the air for New Year's. Baby Tanner TOT is adorable.

• Love 2

I love this show so much! I can't believe I only thought to check if there was a thread for it now. I hope we get a second season. The subject matter is fascinating and there's an endless parade of characters in New Orleans. My favorite is definitely Miss Ashley, the thong-wearing EMS traffic cop. 

• Love 1

Yes, the season was really short, and I'm hoping they come back.
Some of the A&E shows have no appeal for me, like the Wahlburgers.  Yet they're on hours a day at a time.
There's a little clip on the A&E Facebook page, in the post on this show, and you see Miss Ashley directing traffic.

Edited by auntjess

Glad to hear about the renewal. I'd love to see them get permisson to follow the patients into the hospital and followup that way. I gotta say I love procedurals when they actually focus on the procedures and get things right. This show and The First 48 are both great in that regard. And I have to wonder if they'd be able to do something similar in other cities to keep a fresh supply of episodes.

Super late to add a comment now, but I love this show too!!!!!!!!! I am already attached to all of the people. Any one know when the next season will start?

Thanks!

I just found this show and I am so glad I did! My husband used to be an EMT and while he generally hates any reality TV, this is one show he will watch with me. I told him this week and last week that if I ever need the paramedics called for me, I want these people to come (except Titus. I'm not getting much of a feel for his personality). They are funny and real with their patients. And I admit, I kind of have a crush on Dan. 

I agree with the above who said that they could get rid of the cop aspect. It's fine, but as was said, there are a lot of cop shows out there. 

Also, the eyeball thing about made me vomit last night. Gunshots I can handle, but a dangling eyeball? So gross...

• Love 1

No joke, I KNEW the eyeball thing would gross me out, so I looked off to the side the entire time.

I have less than zero interest in seeing a dangling eyeball...from HEARING it though, damn, that woman was amazingly CALM!

I also just found this show and I can tell you, there are some doctors out there that could learn a thing or two about "bedside manner" from these EMT's.

Also agree the show could do without the cop stories. They just seem kind of thrown in there as a gap filler to make the show 40 minutes long.

And what the hell was that cop thinking returning fire on and IN a moving vehicle?! Talk about endangering citizens. I don't know what they teach (not a cop), but surely they don't tell you to return fire during a high speed chase? Even if he was a crack shot and nailed the guy in the head, how does he know that car doesn't careen off in to someones house and kill an innocent person? Absolutely stupid in my opinion.

Edited by Jenkins
I have less than zero interest in seeing a dangling eyeball...

Ha! I was the exact opposite...I was pissed that they never gave me a good, long look at the dangling eyeball!

I could do without the cop segments, too, although last night's kept my interest more than most of them do. I sort of missed the firefighters. I'm fine with the focus being on the EMTs, though. 

After the first two action packed episodes, this one was fairly tame in comparison.

Once again, I turned away rather than see that poor girls arm. Hearing about it was bad enough!

And Dan is the star of the show in my opinion. He has such a calm demeanor and is GREAT with people. Though, he really didn't like that one girls aunt who was having a panic attack. Didn't blame him one damn bit either...I seriously don't get people like that. They are there to HELP and you talk to them like that...

I really love this show, but I could do with a good deal less gore. Between the eyeball and the lady with the missing calf, my goodness, I spend a quarter of the show with my eyes covered. I don't think that a gentle blurring of some things would detract from the integrIty of the show. I'm no prude, I just don't care to see gruesome injuries. I would love to see Holly and Dan do a few runs together.

• Love 1

I could not agree MORE!

I saw that calf injury in the preview of the episode right before it started and barely had time to turn my head away. I then fast forwarded the entire scene when it came up.

To me, the gore is just not necessary, though some people find it interesting.

I have always kind of found it interesting they will show someone with an eyeball hanging out, most of their calf gone and pieces just hanging...but can't show a nipple on TV! Can't have that! Just weird if you ask me...not that I think there NEEDS to be nudity on TV, just weird what can and can't be shown.

• Love 2

I happened upon this about a month ago when they were doing a marathon and I was hooked!  I agree with a lot of what you've said. And I admit, this old cougar is crushing on Dan, too.  But I love how they all are so kind and calm with their patients. That N'awlins drawl helps. Keely, Holly and Arkady, who I wasn't crazy about at first but seeing her in the episode with the man who wanted to end his life really impressed me. This week's episode with the little brother who rode in the ambulance to the hospital with all his, "What's this?  What's that button?"  made me smile. He sure gave Dan a run for his money.  Also in this episode, I really wanted to know the outcome of the heroin addict who was going through withdrawals.  Dan was so respectful of the man's request not to insert any IV needles, knowing that it would trigger that impulse in him. My stepdaughter is an EMT so I imagine her in these situations.  As to the gore, I like that you get a little warning that it's coming, and that it only lasts a second or two, but I still look away.  I also wouldn't mind less of the cop part for the same reason as all of you.  I would like to see more of the fire fighters.  Maybe there aren't too many fires between 8 pm and 4 am.  I need to go back On Demand and find the shows I've missed. I'm sad that this finale for this season is next week.

• Love 3

I didn't discover this show until the most-recent run of episodes, and didn't stumble across this forum until now.  Oops.

Add me to the list of those with a crush on Dan, and those who could easily do without the police segments.  It is rather amusing to watch how many people manage to get away from them, though. 

I love medical documentaries set in hospitals, so I find myself wishing we followed the patients inside, but it's really nice to see the EMS aspect of their care.  And I would not want the injuries blurred; that's part of what I'm watching to see.  Not in a "ooh, gore!" way, but I'm watching for medical personnel and medical procedures, and seeing the injury is part of anticipating and understand the procedure.

I don't like that they teamed at least some people up specifically for the show rather than just filming people with their existing partners, but it's still mostly a proper documentary series rather than a reality show, so I hope it sticks around.

I've never been a fan of 'reality' shows, but I love anything that is medical-based, so I started watching this show at the end of last season when my sister recommended it.  It love it and I hope season three airs soon (the FB page is vague about dates).

I love the way that they are professional and don't seem (except for the rare scene) to be 'acting' for the cameras.  I think that Holly, Dan, Nick and Titus are great, but I think Keely is one of my favorites.  She reminds me of one of our campus police officers (who is great).  

A&E has been running a marathon of episodes during the last couple of Fridays (with some season one eps this coming Friday).  I'm glad I set my DVR to record all episodes-new and repeats--since I've missed some of them.  

I just finished watching the one with Dan answering all of the questions for the little boy ('what's this?', 'what does this do?', etc.)  And afterwards, Dan said that he needed to go take a nap--he was worn out!  I also liked the one where they responded to the guy who had fallen off of his motorcycle and when Dan (I think--it might have been Nick) was stating the situation for the camera, the guy kept contradicting him on everything!  Dan: 'This man has fallen off of his motorcycle.' Patient:  'I did not fall off my motorcycle!.' Dan: 'We're about 6 minutes out from the hospital.' Patient:  'The hospital's still 10 minutes away!'  

• Love 2

I'm glad I set my DVR to record all episodes-new and repeats--since I've missed some of them.  

You might make sure it gets all of them, because mine will only do so many, if there's a whole lot of them.

(edited)

I was just coming here to post that news; hopefully it will continue in another city (The First 48 has contracts with several other cities, so producers could start there and probably ink a deal).  Even better, they could just stop following NOPD and stick with EMT and Fire.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

Darn, I was looking forward to more episodes.  There are a couple of similar shows on 'Discovery Life', including one called 'Boston EMS', but I keep forgetting to watch it.  They do have some good medical shows on that channel--I just try to avoid the ones that are obvious re-enactments.  

New season starts 12/1.

I completely forgot about this announcement, but thankfully was going around the dial just as it started.  It repeats again at 1:00 AM EST.

Did those cops seriously roll by a "domestic disturbance" and, instead of making sure no one needed help, make a joke of it and instruct HER (not him) to give him another chance?  No wonder NOPD doesn't want to be on camera.  I can easily do without them.  (I was putting clean sheets on the bed, with my back to the TV for part of it, and it was a short lead-in to the actual call, so there may have been a break in between or something that makes it not quite as bad as it sounded.  But I'm not holding my breath.)

Titus telling my TV boyfriend Dan sometimes he forgets how white Dan is cracked me up, as did Titus and the patient bonding over their appreciation of some country music singer (I'd never heard of him; I know a lot of classic country, but not much of today's country) and giving Dan shit.  And how about that patient?  He has a very early-morning shift at Wal-Mart, he has no car, the buses don't run that early, so he sets out HOURS before, in the middle of the night, to walk something like 15 miles to a shitty job for a shitty company with shitty pay and shitty or, more likely, no benefits.  Bless him.

I was also impressed with how calm and polite the motorcyclist who'd been the victim of a hit and run and the bicyclist who'd been the victim of battery via paintball gun were.  Not that I'd be snapping at EMS, as it's not their fault and, in fact, they are there to help, but in serious pain as the result of some spineless asshole's actions - especially in the case of the motorcyclist with a compound fracture and probable broken pelvis - I'd be far more grumpy in general. 

Holly is, indeed, good with the psychiatric patients, and I'm glad they included her statements on how mental illness is regarded in our society.

So Titus is just now a paramedic -- what was he before?

• Love 1

So Titus is just now a paramedic -- what was he before?

I think he was an EMT before and went to college to get the further training to be a certified paramedic.  I also thought the conversation about the country singer (I've never heard of him either) was funny.  

I'm so glad this show is back.  I also watched a couple of the reruns before the new episode.  I laughed when Holly was telling Gavin about the sensation that she has when having to do a decompression on a patient (if the needle hits the bone) was like biting down on tinfoil.  When he gave her a strange look, she said 'Haven't you ever accidentally bit down on a piece of tinfoil?'  Gavin:  'No.  I'm pretty good at peeling my baked potatoes.'  (ha!)

I'm guessing that episodes are probably being shown out of order?  In earlier episodes from 2016 (or maybe even 2015), they were obviously shown at the headquarters (at least it looked like it), but this episode included the ribbon-cutting for the new headquarters that had just opened (they had been in trailers since Katrina).  I don't remember seeing any scenes at trailers (but I did miss a few episodes).

• Love 1

Man I missed this show.

I do have to turn my head away on the really gross parts (like the compound fracture), but I love watching their interaction with the people they take care of, especially Holly and Dan.

And yeah, the domestic violence situation. I am going to go out on a limb and it was just a couple having a mild disagreement....but, you don't make light of DV. You just don't, especially as an officer. An officer will tell you that DV situations are THE most dangerous situations and plenty of officers die from them.

Not to mention women have trouble leaving scumbags who abuse them and here they are making light of that by saying "give him another chance".

Kind of sad that not only did they say that, production thought, out of all the footage they have, hey, lets put that on the show!

Ah well, I am sure someone will say I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but the entire thing hits home and I will leave it at that.

Overall, great show, glad it is back! :)

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 10:17 PM, Bastet said:

Titus telling my TV boyfriend Dan sometimes he forgets how white Dan is cracked me up, as did Titus and the patient bonding over their appreciation of some country music singer (I'd never heard of him; I know a lot of classic country, but not much of today's country) and giving Dan shit.  And how about that patient?  He has a very early-morning shift at Wal-Mart, he has no car, the buses don't run that early, so he sets out HOURS before, in the middle of the night, to walk something like 15 miles to a shitty job for a shitty company with shitty pay and shitty or, more likely, no benefits.  Bless him.

This cracked me up as well. I love Dan and Titus together, they have a great rapport. And that guy! He broke my heart, walking hours just to go to work. Can we get him a bicycle so he can stop walking?

I normally like Arkady but she called the paintball victim "baby" about 25 times and I got annoyed.