Type keyword(s) to search

The Chew - General Discussion

Lola16
  • Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Michael's traveling BBQ, Brews and whatever is renewed - new season starts soon. He's got several successful restaurants.

That was apparently just announced it had been previously cancelled or rather he said they weren’t going to make new ones. I also didn’t say all of his restaurants had closed, I said his NY ventures had closed, his main one and than two others he was invested in and his Atlantic City restaurant is not doing well. And that he and Liz had downsized their NYC digs. All of these things Michael has talked about on The Chew. 

Edited by biakbiak
(edited)
7 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Michael has 4 restaurants in Cleveland that are doing okay, plus 1 in Detroit.

Didn’t say he didn’t. My response was to someone saying he was better off than the other two that of all and I was pointing out that he has talked about his issues whereas Clinton is living exactly the same way he was living pre Chew so Is probably doing fine.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

When did he talk about downsizing?  I remember him talking about moving but not downsizing.

I thought the decision now to do another season was his decision that, without The Chew obligations, he's now willing to do.

As for his restaurants...restaurants are a risky business.  His status depends on how much he was personally leveraged.

Clinton has also talked about mortgages since he has a NYC apartment and a CT home.

They're all going to have to downsize without The Chew money unless they get another gig.

Narurally, we don't know their actual financial state but with his restaurants and TFN, he has jobs.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

When did he talk about downsizing?  I remember him talking about moving but not downsizing.

Many, many times. Nearly every time  he talked about the new space and the reason for moving he mentioned they were downsizing.  He routinely mentioned how it was so tiny, how they couldn’t have a tree, Liz needing to get rid of some of her shoes because there was no space, that Ozzy didn’t fit,  that they had to spend more time together because there was no room in the apartment and on and on to a point that I found it completely insufferable.

Edited by biakbiak

This is a sad, sad photo.  It's the staff of The Chew, going over the final shows.    Also sad is that Carla has been busily clearing out her dressing room (which was a mess at first), and a bunch of food from the show's freezers and pantry has been cleaned out, thrown out or given away (even things like ice cream) in the last couple of days.   (But... Daphne is still in NYC, which is very suspicious!)

I am so mad at dumb ass ABC for doing this... mainly because I know, in my heart of hearts, as I think we all know, that this is not just about ratings that dipped.  That might be part of it, of course, but they are not even trying to save it.  They are not trying out new hosts (which might be for the better, as that could have been a disaster).  They are not moving the show to a different time slot or schedule.  And they have given long, long, long runs to other daytime shows, despite years with lower ratings.  It is clear that ABC just wants to be done with this show after all of the Mario controversy.  We can only hope that no more nasty stories or allegations come out that directly point at things going on behind the scenes at The Chew.  I hope that does not happen.

I fully expect to see Carla getting her own show somewhere -- either the Food Network or Cooking Channel -- which will be great, but not quite the same.

• Love 4

I guess I really don't think it's about Mario.  I think they would have announced the cancellation sooner if they did.

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Many, many times. Nearly every time  he talked about the new space and the reason for moving he mentioned they were downsizing.

I blanked that out.  I do remember him talking about having to live with Bobby Flay.  But I didn't think much of downsizing.  Michael has had about four or five different NYC apartments in the past five or six years.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Michael has had about four or five different NYC apartments in the past five or six years.

They owned a lovely townhouse for a few years before the downsizing move, my friends lived across the street. They sold their house in Cleveland at around the same time.

Edited by biakbiak
(edited)
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Didn’t say he didn’t. My response was to someone saying he was better off than the other two that of all and I was pointing out that he has talked about his issues whereas Clinton is living exactly the same way he was living pre Chew so Is probably doing fine.

To me, this argument presupposes that Michael and Liz downsized for financial reasons. And they may have. I have no idea. My understanding, from when he talked about it on the show, was more of a desire to live more simply (which, granted, could be code for tightening the belt out of financial need). When they downsized in NYC and he lived with Bobby, it was because they were gutting the new place and doing it completely over. If I sold my house today, and bought a smaller one, I couldn't afford to do that.

I don't know what Clinton's husband does for a living. I know Carla's restaurant (and I think there was just the one) failed. Meanwhile, Michael lives in two cities, and still has a bunch of profitable restaurants, and more of a (in my opinion) chance of getting better paying TV gigs than either Carla or Clinton.

It just occurred to me that starting a new restaurant and starting a new TV show are quite similar, financially. There's a great outlay of capital before you (a) know whether or not it will catch on, and (b) turn a profit.

Regardless, all of them will be far better than me and my husband, if we lost a job. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 3
(edited)
34 minutes ago, General Days said:

need). When they downsized in NYC and he lived with Bobby, it was because they were gutting the new place and doing it completely over. If I sold my house today, and bought a smaller one, I couldn't afford to do that.

No he lived with Bobby when they hadn’t yet closed on the smaller place. They didn’t do a gut reno on it. The house they gutted was the townhouse and lost money on it after the reno and sold it for close to maybe slightly less than they purchased it for but took a loss because of their reno. Clinton and Bobby both wrote personal recommendations to the co-op board for the new smaller space because that is the annoying thing that happens even when you are buying a one bedroom in NYC which was also mentioned on the show.

Clintons husband is a clinical psychologist. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I misremembered. Thanks for that.

I'm trying to watch today's episode, but the culinary scholarship contest has been getting on my nerves. I'm very jealous of our last remaining bit of show. The Chew was always best when it wasn't over-produced. Host chat, and the hosts spit-balling while cooking (or crafting and drinking...) -- those were the best moments of The Chew.

• Love 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, General Days said:

I'm trying to watch today's episode, but the culinary scholarship contest has been getting on my nerves.

I realized yesterday why it bothered me and it is because they seen annoyed in the intros/outros because it’s so separated from the vibe they have achieved for the final shows. One thing they are great at normally is faking but they are just not doing it well with the intros and outros for the segment. I am not blaming them I think they are kind of annoyed by the interruption to the vibe in all the new episodes since the cancellation. Curious to see how the next two weeks are going to be and if we will be able to tell when it’s filmed.

Carla’s insta was sweet and they just filmed the last show. They did do a free for all taking the ingredients from the text kitchen, I wonder if it was the same thing with the pots/pans and small kitchen appliances.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Towards the end of this clip from today's show, Clinton mentions that he knew that people liked The Chew, but he didn't realize how deeply people felt about it and how much it has meant to viewers until everyone starting posting comments after the cancellation news.     Michael seems quite surprised as well.    I don't think ABC quite realized it either.  They underestimated how much viewers love this show.

https://www.facebook.com/thechewonabc/videos/1834875049905466/

• Love 5

I'll miss this show. They have been so emotional these last couple episodes,  it was nice to see how much they loved doing the show.

One thing that has me a bit annoyed. I was thinking,  that they'd be showing clips from over the years on Friday and I would love that. . Now that I think about it, they probably won't because of Mario  ugh!! I would love to see old clips. A segment of them  talking about old shows. I don't see that happening. 

• Love 5

How much Michael disliked that ambrosia was funny today. He couldn't even manage a fake smile and went right for the drink to wash it down. But he's a trooper - when Carla and Clinton started dancing, he put in a big smile and joined it. Persoanlly, I can take or leave ambrosia. It is better with fresh fruit, though. That's definitely true.

I agree that it's too bad that they had to show the culinary competition for their last episodes. It felt both rushed and a time suck at the same time.

I'm really sad to see this show go away. I was never home every day at this time, but when I was, it was a pleasant diversion, much better than 99% of the crap that's on tv during the day.

• Love 5

One person on Facebook said that she tried to get in the audience for yesterday's taping of today's final show (she had been to several tapings of the show in the past), but she was told when she showed up that the seats were all taken by family and friends of The Chew's cast and crew.

I haven't seen anything revealed as to what actually went on or who appeared during this final show.   They did play Food Pyramid with their friends and family (there are pictures on Facebook and Instagram), and Gordon brought them food.

I have to wait another 3-1/2 hours for the episode to air here

19 hours ago, Kathira said:

How much Michael disliked that ambrosia was funny today. He couldn't even manage a fake smile and went right for the drink to wash it down. But he's a trooper - when Carla and Clinton started dancing, he put in a big smile and joined it. Persoanlly, I can take or leave ambrosia. It is better with fresh fruit, though. That's definitely true.

I had no idea ambrosia had sour cream, so I'm a little grossed out by it too.  This whole time I thought the fruit salad we ate at thanksgiving was the same thing as ambrosia. It had mostly fresh fruits except maybe canned pineapple, but it had whipped cream (usually cool whip) instead of sour cream. You can also use pudding mixes in it. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I'll miss this show. They have been so emotional these last couple episodes,  it was nice to see how much they loved doing the show.

One thing that has me a bit annoyed. I was thinking,  that they'd be showing clips from over the years on Friday and I would love that. . Now that I think about it, they probably won't because of Mario  ugh!! I would love to see old clips. A segment of them  talking about old shows. I don't see that happening. 

I really felt this while watching today's show. We just got a couple of clips and episode stills. And when they were talking about their chemistry test for the network, you know Mario and Daphne were likely part of it (particularly Daphne, because she was not a "name" despite her father or her book).

It made me wonder what Carla, Clinton, and Michael think about the cancellation. That is, I wonder if they blame Mario.

I also wonder if the show had kept Daphne, if it would have staved off cancellation. Not that I think she was the show, but to lose two hosts in a few months is a lot. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am 100% positive that it was the network's decision to not let the editors and producers show Daphne in more clips (I saw her in at least one), or allow the hosts to mention her (or did they mention her and I missed it?).   That indicates, to me, that Daphne's departure from the show might not have been under the best circumstances.   I always had the feeling that she did not want to leave The Chew completely, but probably wanted to reduce her schedule, and then ABC nixed it.    I didn't think it was completely mutual.      I feel that if Daphne had chosen to leave and it was a mutual parting of the ways with ABC, we would have seen her in more clips.   We probably would have seen her on today's show too, even just waving from the audience.     And she was/is in New York.    So, yep.... she probably did not leave under great terms and the network wants to pretend she was never there.

But I highly doubt that Michael, Carla and Clinton wanted to pretend like Daphne, or even Mario, did not exist.    They seem like decent, caring, kind people.   That was the network controlling them.    I don't blame the network for wanting to forget about Mario because of all of his antics, but it wasn't fair to Daphne to not even allow the hosts to mention her (unless I missed it), or talk about her time on the show with them.

Anyway, I was so annoyed at the beginning of this episode because a delivery I was expecting was late, and the guy showed up right when The Chew was starting and it distracted me for 15 minutes.   Of all times for him to show up....  But, by the end of the episode, which ended 15 minutes ago, I was, as usual, wiping away the tears.  I almost thought I was going to make it all the way through without crying, but I was very wrong.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1

I cried..

It's a silly show but I loved it. As I was watching my 2 adult children stopped by ughl, lol. J/k sort of. Luckily I had it recorded so I can rewatch. My daughter saI'd you you're really going to miss this show...I really am. 

These last couple  weeks have been hard. I've been in a funk that I can't really seem to shake.  Everything that's going on and this show and Anthony Bourdain ugh. I'll just miss it so much. Off to drink some wine and  remember how great it was to have a show of pure fun no politics,  just fun and food and an occasional cocktail. 

The Chew started after my 3rd child was born . I had 2 in high school and a baby it was comfort tv. I felt like was struggling everday...I've come a long way.  

• Love 2

I’m really going to miss this show.  I thought the title was fitting and funny and really reflected how they all felt.  It was fun to hear a little behind the scenes about how they were cast. I think the earlier poster probably is correct that maybe Daphne did not leave on the best of terms, but there could have been just an element of “if we mention her we have to mention Mario so let’s just leave them out of it altogether.”

I did think it was strange that they brought out Gordon and interviewed him but then turned around and gave the other producer, Ann, (who they didn’t even really explain her role except Being another producer) a gift of a pair of shoes. Then they proceeded to ignore Gordon for the rest of it. 

They will all land on their feet, and I could really see Clinton being a morning host on one of the shows. Sort of like a Michael Strahan situation. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I am really going to miss this bright spot amidst all the dark that seems to be everywhere lately.  It was such a lovely, safe space that brought me so much joy.  I am horrified by what Mario did but the ending still felt so strange with no references to him or Daphne.  Just a really sad ending for the remaining cast and crew.  I could feel the love.  Hope they all land on their feet and find a similar experience elsewhere.  

Edited by morgan
  • Love 3
(edited)

I get that it’s hard with the Mario thing but it felt so ridiculous to complete edit both Mario and Daphne out of the history of the show so this episode fell flat for me.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
(edited)

I went back and watched today's episode again (since I was distracted by the late delivery guy earlier today and I missed at least the first 15 minutes).  

I didn't realize that Daphne was shown in none of the clips.   I knew they didn't mention her name, but I thought I had caught a fleeting glimpse of her in one of the clips they showed.   But... nope.    Now I realize that I was getting confused because I had just watched a clip of one of Anthony Bourdain's appearances on The Chew within the last 36 hours, and Daphne was in that segment, asking him a question as he was cooking.   So, in my mind, I was thinking I saw her today.    In any case, I still believe it was the network's choice  to not reference or show Daphne, and not the choice of the 3 hosts.  I think they gladly would have mentioned her if given the chance.    But it was strange that everyone had to pretend like she didn't exist, when she had been there for 6 years.

In fact, although I usually thought that Daphne was  the weakest link on The Chew (especially in the earliest seasons), I would have been interested to hear her story of how she got the job, just as we heard from Carla, Clinton and Michael.    Michael was known on Food Network.  Carla was known from Top Chef.   Clinton was known on What Not to Wear.   Mario, of course, was already well known on Food Network and respected by his peers.   But Daphne -- being the least known cast member to end up on The Chew (and the youngest) -- must have an interesting story of getting that call from Gordon, meeting 4 strangers and then doing the chemistry test at the table.  I wonder what she thought of them on that first day.  Did she feel out of her element when she was chosen?  Did she feel intimidated because she was sitting there with 2 Iron Chefs?   Was she worried that viewers wouldn't like her because no one really knew her?

And, it would also be fascinating (to me) to know who the other 150 people were who were being auditioned and tested during the casting process, and which other combinations of people did the chemistry test at the table.  For example, was there ever a scenario in which Michael and Clinton sat at the table to test with.... maybe Sunny Anderson?  Could Daphne and Mario have done a chemistry test with Anne Burrell and Ted Allen?    Curtis Stone and Paula Deen?    Who else was being considered?  I'd love to know!

In one article I read in the last couple of days, Clinton said that he thought the show was going to be cancelled about 7 weeks after its premiere.  He thought it was doomed right when it started.  Michael thought it would be cancelled even sooner than that.  And, of course, Carla explained today that she was prepared to leave quickly and get out of New York if she got fired.   Coming from that perspective and knowing what they were thinking in Season 1, it must feel really amazing to them that they lasted for 7 years/seasons, and that they made a bigger impact on viewers than they first realized they did.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

Did she feel out of her element when she was chosen?  Did she feel intimidated because she was sitting there with 2 Iron Chefs?   Was she worried that viewers wouldn't like her because no one really knew her?

I think so. I remember there was at least one article talking about how she and Carla sort of banded together and said "we need training like the guys" because they'd all done TV and she and Carla hadn't. I also remember her going to some sort of culinary boot camp between one and two because she got way better with a knife, etc, and was really a helper on the Five in Fives.

I felt the same as 

12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I get that it’s hard with the Mario thing but it felt so ridiculous to complete edit both Mario and Daphne out of the history of the show so this episode fell flat for me.

I feel the same. As sad as it was to see the show end, and I know the Mario thing was like a herd of elephants in the room, they could have mentioned Daphne at least, or shown some clips - I would have loved to have seen one of the Clinton etiquette segments - there's one with Carla as a rogue dog owner and Michael dressed up as a dog that made me laugh so hard...

20 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I am 100% positive that it was the network's decision to not let the editors and producers show Daphne in more clips (I saw her in at least one), or allow the hosts to mention her (or did they mention her and I missed it?).   That indicates, to me, that Daphne's departure from the show might not have been under the best circumstances.  

I agree that something went on, because of the just cavalier way Clinton said "oh, Daphne chose to not come back" on one show (although I'd love to know why he and Stacey London just froze each other out too). I think they were blindsided at the abrupt cancellation but something about this season has been off to me - it just felt like they were dragging themselves along.

On the other hand, it was nice to see a show where everyone seemed for the most part to get along, where even if I didn't stay for the rest of the show, I always checked in at the beginning to see what they were up to. I agree with Michael and Clinton that I didn't think the show would last past the first few weeks either - they were rushing through five recipes in a day, it was disjointed - it really started to settle down in the back half of season one and they all found a groove together.

I'll definitely miss them - I didn't do the recipes but the bits about cooking - adding butter to cooking steak, letting the proteins tell you went to flip them, improving here and there - it's more learning how to cook than actually learning how to cook, if that makes sense. I did laugh hysterically at that recipe from the last week where Carla is basically saying "use another oil, don't put on the hot sauce" because it was hilarious.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I cried..

It's a silly show but I loved it. As I was watching my 2 adult children stopped by ughl, lol. J/k sort of. Luckily I had it recorded so I can rewatch. My daughter saI'd you you're really going to miss this show...I really am. 

These last couple  weeks have been hard. I've been in a funk that I can't really seem to shake.  Everything that's going on and this show and Anthony Bourdain ugh. I'll just miss it so much. Off to drink some wine and  remember how great it was to have a show of pure fun no politics,  just fun and food and an occasional cocktail. 

The Chew started after my 3rd child was born . I had 2 in high school and a baby it was comfort tv. I felt like was struggling everday...I've come a long way.  

Yeah, this was my bright -- no politics -- spot in the TV day. Bourdain's suicide hit me like a ton of bricks (which surprised me). The Chew was the time of day that everything was just pleasant and positive.

22 hours ago, abc123 said:

I’m really going to miss this show.  I thought the title was fitting and funny and really reflected how they all felt.  It was fun to hear a little behind the scenes about how they were cast. I think the earlier poster probably is correct that maybe Daphne did not leave on the best of terms, but there could have been just an element of “if we mention her we have to mention Mario so let’s just leave them out of it altogether.”

and

11 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I still believe it was the network's choice  to not reference or show Daphne, and not the choice of the 3 hosts.  I think they gladly would have mentioned her if given the chance.    But it was strange that everyone had to pretend like she didn't exist, when she had been there for 6 years.

My guess is a little different. I think the network said, "No Batali," and the production agreed, "Definitely no Batali," and the hosts felt weird, but probably thought that was also the best decision, because they've probably all gotten shit on social media about Batali. Also, if they're anywhere near the decent people they seem to be, they've got to be embarrassed and horrified by the whole Spotted Pig and workplace sexual harassment scandal. 

And from there, the finale/remembrance discussion became, "Well, what about Daphne?" and they probably decided it was just cleaner to leave her out too. Sure, Batali was the biggest "star" but overall, Carla, Clinton, and Michael have been doing most of the heavy lifting for the past couple of years, even before Daphne left and Mario was fired. 

I did wonder too, if the remaining hosts don't feel a little bit of screw-you to Daphne and a whole lotta screw-you to Mario. You know, like, "You left us, and then you tainted us, and now the job we love is going away, and we carried it anyhow, so we're not even going to mention any of it." They're probably all nicer than I am, but that's what I wondered.

4 hours ago, ML89 said:

I agree that something went on, because of the just cavalier way Clinton said "oh, Daphne chose to not come back" on one show (although I'd love to know why he and Stacey London just froze each other out too). I think they were blindsided at the abrupt cancellation but something about this season has been off to me - it just felt like they were dragging themselves along.

I interpreted that different at the time it aired. To me, Clinton didn't come off so much cavalier as uncomfortable-so-faking-cavalier. I'd have to see it again though, and I'm not going to go looking for clips, because watching it will just make me sad. I already deleted the finale from my DVR. I started to watch the goodbye clip Michael retweeted, and it made me too sad. I didn't even get through Carla's opener.

Am I remembering this right? Did the new season premiere with no mention of Daphne's departure until a day or so into it? I have a vague impression (but no concrete memory) that there was no mention on day one, and people online were vocally surprised by that. I always figured Clinton was told to address it and just said the bare minimum so he wouldn't have to talk about it, again. 

< rant > Only slightly related, I follow some (not famous) chefs, food writers, and (barely-internet famous) foodie accounts. I'm tired of seeing pros shit on this show on the internet-at-large (not here at all). It wasn't a show for chefs. It wasn't just a cooking instruction show. It wasn't supposed to take the place of a culinary school education or boot-strap restaurant experience, so don't dump on it for not doing what it was never meant to do in the first place.

I'm also a little tired of soap fans rejoicing that it was cancelled (and I watch soaps). It's not The Chew's fault AMC or OLTL was cancelled, people. Cripes. < /rant>

Edited by General Days
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

There was no way they could have put Mario on, in any way, shape or form.  He is dead to ABC.   Daphne is more interesting.  I was a little surprised they didn't at least include her in some clips.  It seems there was some bad blood when she left the show so maybe that had something to do with it.  If you believe "The Wrap" article about the decision to cancel The Chew, Daphne's leaving was a huge factor in the ratings drop.  When she left, she took a lot of young women with her.  The hosts left were all in their 50's.  Mario might have put the nail in the coffin but it apparently started when Daphne left and they didn't replace her.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, General Days said:

Yeah, this was my bright -- no politics -- spot in the TV day. Bourdain's suicide hit me like a ton of bricks (which surprised me). The Chew was the time of day that everything was just pleasant and positive.

and

My guess is a little different. I think the network said, "No Batali," and the production agreed, "Definitely no Batali," and the hosts felt weird, but probably thought that was also the best decision, because they've probably all gotten shit on social media about Batali. Also, if they're anywhere near the decent people they seem to be, they've got to be embarrassed and horrified by the whole Spotted Pig and workplace sexual harassment scandal. 

And from there, the finale/remembrance discussion became, "Well, what about Daphne?" and they probably decided it was just cleaner to leave her out too. Sure, Batali was the biggest "star" but overall, Carla, Clinton, and Michael have been doing most of the heavy lifting for the past couple of years, even before Daphne left and Mario was fired. 

I did wonder too, if the remaining hosts don't feel a little bit of screw-you to Daphne and a whole lotta screw-you to Mario. You know, like, "You left us, and then you tainted us, and now the job we love is going away, and we carried it anyhow, so we're not even going to mention any of it." They're probably all nicer than I am, but that's what I wondered.

Bourdain's suicide hit me like a ton of bricks, too, and I was similarly surprised. I also agree they are likely horrified by Batali and the Spotted Pig reports and now his investigation by NYPD for sexual assault. I suspect there was never a question about mentioning him (though I would love to hear their thoughts on the situation). I also agree it was cleaner just to leave out Daphne.

14 minutes ago, break21 said:

There was no way they could have put Mario on, in any way, shape or form.  He is dead to ABC.   Daphne is more interesting.  I was a little surprised they didn't at least include her in some clips.  It seems there was some bad blood when she left the show so maybe that had something to do with it.  If you believe "The Wrap" article about the decision to cancel The Chew, Daphne's leaving was a huge factor in the ratings drop.  When she left, she took a lot of young women with her.  The hosts left were all in their 50's.  Mario might have put the nail in the coffin but it apparently started when Daphne left and they didn't replace her.

I have trouble believing Daphne's departure was that big a catalyst for a ratings slide. She was always the weakest link. I thought she and Mario had really good chemistry, which is a bit creepy to remember in retrospect, though I always got the sense he thought of her as a daughter. I think the thing that may have damaged the ratings was that they seemed a bit at sea in the early part of the last season, both because Daphne was gone and because Mario was freaking never there (too many young women to molest to be able to have time for work, I guess). It's too bad they did not know at the beginning of the season they were going down to three hosts. I felt like they had really gelled as a team in the last few months and so this getting the rug pulled out from under them felt even worse (to me, for sure, and, I suspect, to them).

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, General Days said:

It could possibly have been the hosts' choice to not mention Daphne, for some reason, but I still have strong doubts about that.   The hosts are not the ones who edit and package up the clip reels to show.   The end clips were put together for the goodbye show without a single glimpse of Daphne.  Not even a random, wayward strand of blonde hair off to the side of the screen.   Not even a mention that she was at the chemistry test with them, when Gordon was casting the show.  

Even if the hosts decided it was just better to not mention Daphne for whatever reason (and I still don't think it was their decision alone), they couldn't control what went into the clips shown at the end of the episode, for example.  That's all the handiwork of the network, the legal team, the producers, etc. -- via the editors.   It was as though everyone involved with The Chew was pretending that 6 years of Daphne being on the show never happened, which is very weird -- because she did nothing wrong.     She is not the first -- nor will she be the last -- person to either get fired from or choose to leave a series (and we still don't know what exactly was the specific reason for her departure because it was never really stated).   And she is not Mario.  She should not be lumped in with Mario in the "do not mention or acknowledge" category.

Not mentioning Mario in the finale was never even a question.  Of course they're not mentioning him.    He is being accused of some heinous acts.    But pretending Daphne was never there points to something else being involved.   It's not Carla, Clinton and Michael that chose to leave her out.  I am positive about that.    Michael even actually mentioned her once on the show this season, when he was remembering something specific that had happened on the show in the past at one point -- he referred to her as "Daph", if I recall.    And I have seen Carla comment on Daphne's Instagram posts -- one comment was very recent, about Daphne's daughter.  So, one would assume that they have no ill will towards her, and are presumably on good terms.  

Well, even with the curious omission of Daphne references in Friday's show, I was still wiping away tears and cursing ABC by the end of Friday's finale.   It's sad to see it go.

Edited by TVFan17
clarifictation -- because when I was first typing my response my browser was freezing up!!!
  • Love 2
On 6/16/2018 at 5:26 PM, General Days said:

Am I remembering this right? Did the new season premiere with no mention of Daphne's departure until a day or so into it? I have a vague impression (but no concrete memory) that there was no mention on day one, and people online were vocally surprised by that. I always figured Clinton was told to address it and just said the bare minimum so he wouldn't have to talk about it, again. 

You are. I remember wondering why they didn't, then Clinton rushed through it maybe the third day they were back? It really seemed way odd.

I can't imagine Daphne had that much of a following, I think it was more they wanted a space for more GMA so that was the one - the ratings were declining and while it's cheap to produce, it's through the Entertainment side, not the News side, so maybe there's some financial reasons as well. 

I will miss it - and the people attacking it as not serious - that was the good thing! I learned more from The Chew than anything I've watched on Food Network, just them cooking together and telling you things as an aside was terrific. It was just fun, which there is precious little of left.

• Love 4

ML89 -- Yes, indeed!  The main reason I enjoy The Chew is that it is not a serious show discussing all the horrors going on in life, and around the world.    I like it because it is a lighthearted, non-serious show that still manages to provide some good info and ideas.     It's also a funny show -- because the hosts are naturally funny people, I think -- but it's not a straight-up, joke-cracking, forced comedy show, which I appreciate.   It's educational, but usually easy to follow and not too tedious.    It's the perfect showcase for segments on holiday foods, parties and crafts.   And they do cover a tiny bit of news or current events -- but it's usually silly food-related news or just fluff entertainment items that don't mean anything.  (I always got a giggle out of Clinton saying "I'm an influencer" when he was poking fun at today's random social media stars.)  It was neither all talking nor all cooking, but was a good combo of both.

And, although the guests could be very hit or miss, occasionally they had some good ones, or kooky guests who were  riveting because they were peculiar.  Sometimes even the fill-in guest co-hosts were good.

The last time ABC tried another hour of GMA in the afternoon, it didn't last too long, did it?   I don't think anyone wants another hour of GMA, even if The Chew never comes back.   Even if that extra hour of GMA decided to be lighthearted and fun too, and not focused on serious news, I still would not be interested in seeing it.   I've never seen or heard anyone say "I could sure use another hour of GMA in my life."

• Love 9
12 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

ML89 -- Yes, indeed!  The main reason I enjoy The Chew is that it is not a serious show discussing all the horrors going on in life, and around the world.    I like it because it is a lighthearted, non-serious show that still manages to provide some good info and ideas.     It's also a funny show -- because the hosts are naturally funny people, I think -- but it's not a straight-up, joke-cracking, forced comedy show, which I appreciate.   It's educational, but usually easy to follow and not too tedious.    It's the perfect showcase for segments on holiday foods, parties and crafts.   And they do cover a tiny bit of news or current events -- but it's usually silly food-related news or just fluff entertainment items that don't mean anything.  (I always got a giggle out of Clinton saying "I'm an influencer" when he was poking fun at today's random social media stars.)  It was neither all talking nor all cooking, but was a good combo of both.

And, although the guests could be very hit or miss, occasionally they had some good ones, or kooky guests who were  riveting because they were peculiar.  Sometimes even the fill-in guest co-hosts were good.

The last time ABC tried another hour of GMA in the afternoon, it didn't last too long, did it?   I don't think anyone wants another hour of GMA, even if The Chew never comes back.   Even if that extra hour of GMA decided to be lighthearted and fun too, and not focused on serious news, I still would not be interested in seeing it.   I've never seen or heard anyone say "I could sure use another hour of GMA in my life."

Totally agree.  I loved The Chew.  In a world where so much of TV is sad and filled with political drama, I knew The Chew would make me laugh and smile.  I believe the three of them, Carla, Michael, and Clinton were really friends.  Their interactions weren't acting but like three friends talk when they get together.  

I'm not watching another hour of GMA.  I don't need another hour of pop news, politics, and miscellaneous stuff.  

Chew, I'll miss you!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

So today’s show answered the question about when these two weeks of “new” eps were filmed and this one at least was filmed after the cancellation.

I recorded it, but haven't watched. The thought of it made me too sad. What did they say/when did they say it? 

Just now, General Days said:

What did they say/when did they say it? 

I wasn’t paying attention to the entire episode and hate Craig T. Nelson so ffwd a few segments but in Michael’s corn fritter segment that Clinton added hot dogs to there are several references including opening up a new business since they all need a job.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:14 PM, DuckyinKy said:

Clinton Kelly: "While you're watching this at home, we're collecting unemployment." 

That makes me sad. Until Carla cackled. I'll miss that too. 

I had a few episodes that I hadn't watched. Well, last night I had the house to myself. Opened a bottle of wine and actually laughed out loud  to many of the things the were saying.  They seemed drunk or just didn't care. I loved this show and will miss it. The last few episodes were something I needed.  I couldn't watch anymore news shows and needed to laugh and the chew gave me a great night of laughs and I had cheese and wine for dinner it was fantastic. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I haven't watched the real last 2 episodes yet. I feel like I need to be mentally prepared.

If it helps, the last new episode (the one from yesterday) had me laughing out loud multiple times. And of course, that made me sad. So yeah, probably good to be ready for a little grief.

• Love 2