Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Midnight City

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Okay, I need to know if the (spoilering cuz I don't know if it happened in this ep)

happy Olicity kiss

occurred. Or is it for next week? Otherwise, based on what everyone's saying, I'm better off skipping this one. 

There was a kiss and it was happy until...it wasn't.

• Love 1

Okay, I need to know if the (spoilering cuz I don't know if it happened in this ep)

happy Olicity kiss

occurred. Or is it for next week? Otherwise, based on what everyone's saying, I'm better off skipping this one.

It happened at the beginning of the Episode

There was a kiss and it was happy until...it wasn't.

Thanks! My Tumblr dash is going nuts over it but apparently it's only the happy part. I appreciate all you East Coasters' input so I can spare myself raging. I'll catch the kiss on YouTube.

Edited by calliope1975

What did happen in the dream? I heard blood.

So is John Campea going to like it? It sounds like they did make her instant canary.

It was a replay of the scene they had before he went off to Ra's. When Felicity told him she was worried that Ra's was going to use his humanity against him, he said "you're right" and then Oliver told her he loved her, they kissed and then Oliver got run through and spit out blood right in front of her. I guess that was Oliver Queen dying?

happy Olicity kiss

This week in dream sequence. First minute of the episode.

happy Olicity kiss

It was a dream sequence. It ended with Oliver getting stabbed and blood coming from his mouth.

What did happen in the dream? I heard blood.

So is John Campea going to like it? It sounds like they did make her instant canary.

It was a repeat of the Olicity scene from 309 until Oliver tells Felicity "Ill stay" she says "Really?" Then he kisses her. They break apart as blood came out of his mouth. Felicity yelled and the sword Oliver was stabbed with was in his chest.

Forgot to mention: did I dream it or did Laurel fly through a window and grab a ladder dangling from a helicopter in the dark?

That's just silly...must have imagined it.

Of course she did Because she's awesome.

Boxing lessons teach you stuff like that.

• Love 6

Well that happened. I liked it better than last week, but I just can not care about anything that is happening. Scratch that I could be interested in Roy and Laurel and not even in comedy way. They got me with the Austin Butler reveal, and I'm glad Felicity is back in the mindset of carrying on the fight, but it was propping all over the place for both Ray/Laurel. Felicity: full time propper!

While Laurel wasn't perfect she was far more successful against BRICK than anyone else has been. What in the entire actual fuck.

Edited by blixie
  • Love 2

Yeah...it was kinda gross.

It was. It was a decent mix though. This episode with Rays line to Felicity to Felicity about only wanting to protect her should show her that Oliver is better for her cause he's about her his sister and the city and his friends

While Laurel wasn't perfect she was far more successful against BRICK than anyone else has been. What in the entire actual fuck.

Lying to her father ups her strength - she gets ten times more fighting power every time she calls Quentin "Daddy" in Sara's voice.

• Love 9

Can I just mention that this episode, with Laurel's whole arc of being terrible and then being accepted and put out in the field, happened in one day?  One day.  The writers aren't even trying anymore.  So much stuff didn't make any sense.  Ray and Felicity are at the mayor's meeting (and why was Laurel there? she's only an assistant DA).  Then Felicity's fixing him up back at their office.  Uh, did no-one at City Hall think to call 911 after the big shoot out and offer some first aid?  Then, they both go back to City Hall after the one guy is killed.  Why?  What exactly were they going to do?  I mean, other than Felicity being with Laurel for the epiphany that gets Felicity back on Team Arrow with BFF Laurel the new Canary, too there was no reason for them to be in the way or for that matter, for Ray to be at the meeting with Brick and the Mayor (that was weird, he really had no purpose in that scene).

Also, when did Felicity have time to fix the thingy for Ray's suit that she gave him at the end?  They literally were going all day long, back and forth and she was dealing with vigilante stuff.  Does Starling City have more than 24 hours in its day?  (My sister calls it Guggentime, heh.)  Details like that just bug.

The Ray/Felicity flirting three minutes after Oliver died was cringeworthy.  I mean, really writers.  I know they like to go fast, but yikes.

On the upside, Felicity (in her sole outfit!) looked gorgeous all episode.  Great top and EBR had fantastic hair.

Would have been nice to have some sense of urgency in Oliver's present day scenes.  No mention of calling home (or being unable to).  SA was looking rather dishy, even all injured, and I enjoyed his scenes with Tatsu and Maseo, but they dropped the ball there a bit, imo.

Overall, disappointing on many levels.

Ugh, how could I forget.  Quentin.  All the lying.  Terrible, terrible, terrible.  Can't even with Felicity being the one to make it so Laurel could lie her leather pants off.  Just awful.

Edited by JenMD
  • Love 18

I feel like angry voice Unikitty in the Lego Movie - I must stay positive! Hmmmm.... I thought the editing during the fight scenes was well done.

ETA: Oh, and I almost forgot!  I hope Oliver's attempt to get Maseo to go back to Starling with him means he'll rethink his whole I-can-only-be-the-Arrow thing.  I was seeing major parallels there.

Agreed - I was hoping that Oliver was taking notes for use during his eventual enlightenment.  However, I hope he wasn't reading too much into the dream sequence, given Felicity is in the stabbing position!  That could just be an "any time I'm happy, it all goes South" moment, or maybe a take on "acting on my feelings will be the end of my mission\the Arrow"? 

It doesn't make sense to me, that after showing Felicity going out of her way to tell Oliver the truth about Thea's father, consequences to her relationship with Oliver be damned, that she would go along with the lie to Lance. She would more then go along with it I guess, she would deliberately deceive.

I'm choosing to believe her usual good sense and compassion was overcome by her grieving, as evidenced by her montone voice during those scenes.  That said, I wish there had been at least a couple of lines about whether it was the right thing to do, or that Lance wouldn't be satisfied with it being a copycat vigilante. 

• Love 2

I found myself cringing through the first half of this, and then liking the second half, apart from the damn impersonating Sara bit, a lot more.

Good things:

1. The Dj is evil! This means that his chances of getting killed off just exponentially increased! I could not be more happy.

2. The Hong Kong stuff is interesting. True, even with Maseo and Tatsu in the present timeline it feels totally disconnected to what's happening on the rest of the show, and because we're only getting a few bits every episode it's been a bit disconnected, but I predict this will greatly improve in a rewatch/marathon.

Also, Tatsu! Please don't kill her, show.

3. Thea figuring out that Malcolm isn't being totally honest with her! Not that it was a difficult realization.

4. Roy! You're growing on me, Roy, a lot. 

5. In a show filled with plot holes, inconsistencies, and a trained detective not being able to spot the differences between his daughters' chins, one thing remains gloriously, cheerfully, consistent: Starling City's city administration sucks. My favorite part of the very rough first half was the way the mayor called for the city leaders and found out that over half of them were Quentin, Laurel, Felicity and Ray.  Second favorite part of this: the complete lack of aldermen and the ongoing absence of this season's District Attorney who has very wisely decided to stay away from this entire plot line, and still remains the only Starling City DA not to get kidnapped or killed. You go, missing DA, you go!  I totally approve of you.

6. Yay, Oliver dreamed about kissing Felicity....wait, WHAT?  Ok, this may not belong in the "good things" column." 

7. I liked that Laurel wasn't quite insta Canary.

8. Felicity and Laurel had a nice moment there, and another nice moment of uniting Team Arrow. 

9. The "Can I borrow your helicopter" moment was laugh out loud. Unrealistic even by the standards of this show, but hilarious. Note to show: if you did more of this with Ray and Felicity, rather than try to give us Oliver-lite Ray and Felicity moments, I'd be a lot more on board with Ray and the Atom spinoff.

10. Vinnie Jones is having fun here, which is good; someone needs to.

Questionable things:

1. Nobody has killed Amanda Waller yet.

2. The lying to Thea stuff is getting as bad if not worse than the lying to Quentin stuff. Now Malcolm, Roy and the Dj are all lying to her.

3. Does no one think of the poor night club managers during city crises?

4. Who lets someone who can't fly a helicopter borrow a helicopter?  Show, I try to suspend my disbelief for you, really I do, and this was hilarious so I'm trying to let it slide, but...what?  

(I took a quick glance at the FAA page and it looks as if you do need some sort of license to fly a helicopter, though I may be wrong - I didn't read the whole thing.)

5. Is Ra's not going to be at all suspicious that he sent some assassins out to find Oliver's body and the assassins didn't come back but Maseo, conveniently absent for a bit, did?

• Love 9

From what I understand: Laurel gets someone killed but Felicity still wants her to go out well Diggle stays in the lair. Laurel is super awesome at fighting like better then Diggle. Ray wants to be a superhero to save Felicity now. That convinces her to go back to the Team where she helps Laurel pretend to be Sara. Which no one is objecting too?

Did Diggle and Felicity even talk to each other?

• Love 4

Besides Team Arrow being a part of lying to Quentin, did no one realize the odiousness of letting Quentin "see" Sara but having her stay away? He's going to continue to hear reports about the Canary, but wonder why she won't see him. They are going to give Quentin a complex and make him think that he's done something wrong that is keeping Sara from spending time with him.

I did like that they showed that Laurel sucked as the Canary. I legit guffawed when she fell off the car.

• Love 5

That dream seemed more fitting as Felicity's nightmare instead of Oliver's. What was it supposed to show us? That he thinks he could stay and be with her and get stabbed or leave and not be with her and... still get stabbed? He's stabbed either way but at least he gets a kiss out of the first option.

• Love 3

Apparently "Felicity and Laurel" trended Worldwide

It did. And Canary did too for a bit, although I think that might've been at the initial surprise of hearing Sara's voice over the phone talking to Quentin. They even got me, the fucking assholes. Then I was just really, really, really sad and uncomfortable.

That dream seemed more fitting as Felicity's nightmare instead of Oliver's. What was it supposed to show us? That he thinks he could stay and be with her and get stabbed or leave and not be with her and... still get stabbed? He's stabbed either way but at least he gets a kiss out of the first option.

I think it was supposed to show us that Oliver Queen needs to "die" because he's not willing to do the difficult stuff when he lets his emotions get in the way.

• Love 1

I really hope when Quentin does find out, he gives a hearty "Fuck you!" to everyone involved and peaces out with Donna Smoak. Oh, and doesn't have a heart attack because he's not a fragile child incapable of dealing with horrible news.

• Love 12

From what I understand: Laurel gets someone killed but Felicity still wants her to go out well Diggle stays in the lair. Laurel is super awesome at fighting like better then Diggle. Ray wants to be a superhero to save Felicity now. That convinces her to go back to the Team where she helps Laurel pretend to be Sara. Which no one is objecting too?

Did Diggle and Felicity even talk to each other?

I was sickened by the Raylicity scene where he said he wanted to do it to Protect her! Oliver does it to Protect her! Along with the City his friends and sister that's more noble

• Love 1

I'm surprised that Black Canary didn't trend this episode. 

Canary did and Laurel did too I think. Also Justice is the new Black did too I believe.

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

When Ray said he wanted to be a vigilante to protect Felicity I was so side-eyeing that. Ray's had plans to be a vigilante well before he met Felicity. I thought it was established that he was doing it to sort of avenge Anna's death? Otherwise it doesn't make sense. 

• Love 7

I will be pissed if he uses this dream as a reason to not be with her. I wouldn't blame her for being MAD AS HELL but a Big fat NO to Ray and his instalove

How did Felicity flirt with ray?

It wasn't really flirting so much as an uncomfortable, almost intimate closeness IMO. Ray told her that the reason he wanted to make the suit was so he could protect her, and there was a look after that was a bit much after Oliver died. And it happened again when she gave him the processor he needed for his suit - he said he thought she wasn't going to help him with a suicide mission and she said maybe if I help you it won't be a suicide mission. Or something. And then there was another look that was just too much after she just lost the guy that she (I guess) loves? And he knows it? Yuck.

• Love 10

Canary did and Laurel did too I think. Also Justice is the new Black did too I believe.

Lmao justice is the new black is just cringeworthy :p Just as cringeworthy as Felicity catching the bouquet at the Dyla wedding. 

• Love 1

Who lets someone who can't fly a helicopter borrow a helicopter?  Show, I try to suspend my disbelief for you, really I do, and this was hilarious so I'm trying to let it slide, but...what?

It gave me shades of the excuses Oliver used to give Felicity back in season 1 before their reveal.  I dug it, because I like a little bit of levity thrown in there, silly as it may be.

• Love 6

When Ray said he wanted to be a vigilante to protect Felicity I was so side-eyeing that. Ray's had plans to be a vigilante well before he met Felicity. I thought it was established that he was doing it to sort of avenge Anna's death? Otherwise it doesn't make sense.

He said Anna was what it was originally about but now it's about protecting her BARF.

• Love 1

If they did, it must not have happened in the US or only for a really short time, because the only two trends I saw were Laurel and Felicity and Canary. And Red Arrow for a bit, which was weird.

• Love 1

While we do understand that many of you have rage quit this show, from now on let's please leave the episode topic for actual discussion of the episode not requests for (and responses to) recaps. You can read PTV's recap when it posts, or PM other posters asking them nicely to tell you what happened.

• Love 6

If they did, it must not have happened in the US or only for a really short time, because the only two trends I saw were Laurel and Felicity and Canary. And Red Arrow for a bit, which was weird.

one of the news Reporters referred to Roy as "the Red Arrow" which is why it trended

Oh Justice is the New Black was before the episode i think. never mind lol

Edited by ban1o

In my head, I was prepared for the absolute worst, so I was kind of surprised... it wasn't as terrible as I expected. There are a LOT of inconsistencies throughout the episode, like everyone has noted, and the pretending to be Sara by using her VOICE was by far the grossest thing I've seen on this show. It's a new low for all of Team Arrow, and especially Laurel. (And again, Laurel/KC and Sara/CL have two EXTREMELY different body types: you're going to tell me their DETECTIVE FATHER doesn't recognize the difference between the two?)

Mainly, what I liked was that Laurel was totally inept and not a great superhero (in fact, she was awful)... but that said, I need the show to emphasize more how wrong it is for Laurel to feel the need to BE Sara. Her whole rise as the Canary has been creepy and disturbing. I think the closest we got to a realization that wanting to be Sara is wrong is Felicity's scene with Laurel... which helped a bit, but it still makes me uncomfortable. (Following it up with the Sara voice completely negated the power of that scene. There was no reason for that to be included. Felicity could've easily called Lance and asked for the same info. She also could've found the pacemaker news on a simple background check of the alderman).

I did like Felicity in this ep, other than the aforementioned voice stealing. I didn't see as much of an issue with Ray and Felicity -- the flirting, if there was some, was all on his side, in my opinion. Even the totally unnecessary scene of her cleaning his injuries (Again, he didn't get looked at along with everyone else?) ends with him saying he wanted to protect her and she doesn't reply. In fact, the scene ends there. If anything, I saw his whole wanting to protect her as reminding her that people have to stand up for others. Last week, she was so worried about Digg and Roy dying while doing this crazy mission, but now she sees that they have a reason to fight, that they aren't just risking their lives for nothing. 

And, I think she felt more than a bit helpless in the scene against Brick's men... so how can she defend herself and those she cares about? By getting others to fight as well. She stood there watching Det. Lance, Laurel, and Ray all fight back, and she couldn't stop it from happening. That was the kind of wake up she needed because, as the beginning of the ep showed, she was very much in a depressed, unresponsive state. She was shutting down, and I think this was her own call to action, to help others be heroes.

That said, it cracks me up that the whole TV DC universe is dependent on this originally one-off character to affirm all their heroes -- Oliver, Barry, and now Laurel and Ray. 

Edited by popgoesculture
  • Love 12

I actually only saw 'Red Arrow' and 'Felicity and Laurel' trending during the episode, although only briefly.

'Justice is the new black' trended for like 5 minutes a couple of hours before.

Just like last week, I actually liked a decent amount of it, but there was also a good amount that really bugged me.  This show is just so frustrating now, because it still can be good, but they just keep taking one step forward, but two steps back.  Or three steps back, in this case.

The biggest offense is easy: I hate what they are doing to Quentin.  I just hate it.  Always did, but it has gotten worse.  Laurel is now dressing up and greeting him, pretending to be Sara.  Even saying "Daddy" in the same way.  It's just so disgusting.  Why are they doing this?  Why?!  How am I suppose to like somewhat like that?  But, almost just as bad is that now Felicity, Diggle, and Roy not only continuing to be complacent, but even help her with this cover-up,  Sorry guys, I ain't going to give y'all a pass.  I love you three, but y'all suck.  Quentin deserves better friends.  

So, Laurel is full-blown Canary now.  Actually, to be fair, at least they had her fuck a few things up, and need bailing out at times.  And she only escaped Brick because of a well place kick to the nuts: he basically handed her ass both times.  Still, she is doing things that are right up there with Ollie and Sara, with maybe about 10 percent of their training.  It's just ridiculous.  If they really wanted to go down this path, they should have handled it better.  I just can't buy it.

I really do not give a shit about Ray.  I mean, I barely did before, but now I'm just getting pissed off whenever his boring ass shows up.  And, since Felicity is almost only in his scenes (at least she got to briefly show up to prop up Laurel tonight), it's wasting her too, and I don't like that. Just go ahead and be Atom dude, and give Brandon Roth is own spin-off, where he can invade everyone's privacy on his own show.

I actually liked the flashbacks and the stuff with Maseo and Tatsu.  The actors are making it work for the most part, and I'm actually invested in their stories.  Since we haven't seen their son, I'm guessing something happened to him, and that's why Maseo seems to have given up.  Probably China did something out of retaliation.  Or maybe even Amanda Waller.

DJ Dickwad is back!  And, hey, he works for the League.  Hey, I like this twist.  Means that it's more likely he's going to be getting his ass killed.  Hopefully, by either Thea or Malcolm.

Vinnie Jones is still doing what he can to make Brick fun at least.

Come back, Ollie.  I want Arrow back: not the The Laurel Lance and Ray Palmer Show.

• Love 6

OK, so the show is saying that despite the massive sword wound to his gut, Oliver lived because of the snow, cold, magic herbs (same ones from the Island or are they Tatsu's?) and some sutures. Wow! Well, not the most ridiculous thing in this episode. (Random thought: Tatsu was rocking some fierce eyeshadow. Love that she doesn't let being in a remote area detract from her makeup game).

Also, Felicity asking to borrow Ray's helicopter is hilarious. It really made me laugh, which is a surprise because at that point in the episode my jaw was hurting from clenching and gritting my teeth.

• Love 8

I felt like Ray was the one flirting with Felicity than vice versa, and it was hella awkward/uncomfortable because dude knew that she's only just lost someone important to her, someone who was more than a friend. But then Ray doesn't respect any sort of boundaries so what do I expect?