Type keyword(s) to search

S26: Blair & Hayley

• Start Topic

But Blair CAN'T listen to her.  he has to tune her out.  Her one little "hey, is that the street?"  is buried in a constant screaming/complaining/blaming barrage, so it would take a lot of concentration on her words to pick out the relevant information, while reading the signs, following the directions and bicycling.

Yeah, I'm feeling about the same. God and Blair only know if it ever ends with her, but I can tell you after what I heard during that bike ride I was tuning her out. It's not just the fact her voice is shrill but it's her constant criticizing and complaining. I'm thinking it's becoming a survival skill for him to get through the race at this point.

• Love 8

Somehow, Blair has become my favorite person in this race.  Whenever he seems happy or is joking, it makes my heart glad.

Plus, he's a hot nerd.  It doesn't get any better than that.

I really enjoy, Blair so much! I love his dry wit and is ability to be able to control himself through all of Hayley's tirades. And he always does something amusing on the mat that I have to watch over again and makes me laugh. I think he does a great job putting up with a very unenjoyable partner.

• Love 4

In my opinion, Haley is downright abusive. I don't enjoy listening to couples fight normally, and her and Jenny criticizing the strangers they were paired with on this race almost makes this season unbearable. I'm not sure that I'll watch another blind date season.

• Love 2

In the deleted scenes on the CBS website, Hayley is so completely dependent on Blair to OPEN her tent.  the tents are already set up, she needs him to zip open the door, check for bugs, and set up her sleeping bag!   "Im not a tent person!"   UGH!

And I am recalling previous seasons where female teams were able to pitch their own tents.   I just hate the helpless female act she does.  

I also keep seeing her as Britney Spears.  The resemblance is striking at some angles. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4

there was a brief shot of Hayley making Blair open and look inside her tent to make sure it was free and clear from.. whatever.. bees? Bugs?  Good golly Miss Molly.  This is the same woman who is a peds trauma ER nurse?

I also noticed the haphazard way she was wearing that helmet then when she commented on "I'm still wearing the helmet" at the mat, I talked back to the tv (In ASL... screaming would alert the other two humans in the house) "Well take it OFF then!"

• Love 3
In the deleted scenes on the CBS website, Hayley is so completely dependent on Blair to OPEN her tent.  the tents are already set up, she needs him to zip open the door, check for bugs, and set up her sleeping bag!   "Im not a tent person!"   UGH!

And I am recalling previous seasons where female teams were able to pitch their own tents.   I just hate the helpless female act she does.

Her helpless princess act is pathetic. She's a completely smart and capable woman, but I bet she does the damsel in distress act to get Blair's attention. Well, up until she's screaming at him again. 

WTF with that bike riding thing?! He was only 2 meters ahead of her. They are not dating teenagers, they should not be riding side by side. I wish she would converse her energy into paddling instead of wasting it on screaming all the time.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 4

Seriously it is to the point where I wanted someone to just hurl the woman over the bridge into the ice cold water. She is fucking obnoxious...period. And that squeaky, squawking voice is like nails on a chalkboard. She NEVER shuts the hell up. 

Compare Hayley to Ashley when Matt and Blair were doing the clog challenge. I mean really, did she not think Blair knew he had to be quick, did she think he was just calmly taking his time and not giving a shit? But there she is with the constant annoying "come on Blair, you have to be faster, you have to be faster" all the while the guy is trying to focus and not panic, while looking for something that's like a needle in a haystack. And you know if she had been the one to do the challenge and Blair was going on like that she'd have screamed about how she's trying and he's not helping. 

Then the cycling. My goodness, even Jenny and her Type A personality managed to enjoy the moment but Hayley did NOTHING but bitch. It's too cold, it smells, Blair is racing too fast. I mean seriously, what the hell was the whinging about Blair's cycling? As he noted, he was right in front of her, it's not like he took off a whole mile ahead but apparently she needs him to race side by side with her or that's a problem. Although she was probably worried he was secretly trying to peddle off and gee, who could blame him?

Then the directions thing. I don't think Blair blamed them both. He explained to her after she was right about them needing to go down the other street that he followed what the guy told him and that it happened but screaming about it would not change it. But the thing is Hayley doesn't just have to be right, she has to scream and screech for however long about being right. And as someone noted, right though she may be, it's not surprising that she gets tuned out because she is obnoxious and insufferable like 90 percent of the time. 

Then the hot tub was ridiculous. Her whole "let's pretend we don't know" plan - okay fair enough. But then she starts spouting the wrong thing with Jenny and Jelani nowhere near them so of course Blair's confused. Then he corrects her and she's all harping "Blair play along" to which Blair hilariously goes "they're not even near us." Oh but apparently she was practicing her lie. The woman is annoying. I'm willing to give Hayley the benefit of the doubt and say maybe in her everyday life she is pleasant enough but that's the thing about The Amazing Race.

Some people just don't do well under the pressure and exhaustion of the game while others do fine. I'm honestly surprised at how unflappable Blair has remained with all those legs, all while doing it with that albatross attached to him. But Hayley's clearly the opposite and I think Blair more or less said that at the end of the leg. That they just respond to and react to things differently but unfortunately it makes for very unpleasant viewing for me. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 8

H:  "Blair!  wait for me!  I'm going as fast as I can!" 

Blair:  Awesome job, Hailey! 

H: You have to wait for me!

Hayley: Blair! Wait for me!

Blair: I'm right here.

Hayley: You have to wait!

Blair: I'm ten feet away from you.

Hayley: You have to ride next to me! Like a team!

Blair: [slows down slightly, rides next to Hayley]

Hayley: HURRY UP!

• Love 16

Hayley: Blair! Wait for me!

Blair: I'm right here.

Hayley: You have to wait!

Blair: I'm ten feet away from you.

Hayley: You have to ride next to me! Like a team!

Blair: [slows down slightly, rides next to Hayley]

Hayley: HURRY UP!

Seriously, Blair has the patience of a saint. 

• Love 6

I gotta say-the scene where Blair is getting out of the hot tub briefly showed how built he is...no wonder Haylery is frustrated...

I would block out every single word she speaks/yells/shrieks if I was her partner.  Blair is coping as well as humanly possible.  She is never satisfied.  Slow down/hurry up over and over again.  I really feel for Blair as he is trying to enjoy the race but she constantly yells about something and disrupts every single moment.  The tent scene showed that she continually sets herself up to be the helpless and ditsy blonde that she first presented to us in the premiere episode; then she demands respect and that she should always be listened to.  

I really hope that Bliar is invited back but with a partner of his choice.  I just have a feeling though that they will invite him back but only if he partners with Hayley because for some reason producers often think we, the viewers, enjoy dysfunction.

• Love 6

I'd really like to know what Hayley will think of herself when she see's this, if she'll admit she was screechy and wrong to berate Blair the way she is doing. And I doubt she'll find it easy to get a date now that everyone's seen what she's like.

I was with you when Hayley was yelling at Blair at first until the point when Blair ignored Hayley's suggestion to go down "this street" and insisted they needed to go in a different direction.  It turned out Hayley was right.  Did Blair say "sorry, I was wrong"?  No, he said "we need to figure this out together, we need to stay calm.

I think I'm back to my original feeling on this team - Hayley may well be a bit of a spazz and she talks way too much but Blair actively ignores her input and won't admit when he's wrong.  When he's wrong "they" made a mistake.  I can understand Hayley's frustration a lot more.  I still think she needs to let it go, but Blair needs to own his own mistakes as well.  And one of his mistakes is pretending their getting lost was something they both did.

This is where I see it a different way.  Blair is in front following directions from the local person.  She was also there when the directions were given.  She did not say "Blair stop. this is the street we are looking for."  She said "do you think ...."  She wasn't sure either, and deferred to him to make the decision.  She did not stop and make him look.  At that point she's saying "Look at the sign!  Look at the sign!"  and I'm thinking, lady, there are 8 million signs here, what are you talking about?  He's trying to read directions and make a decision on which way to go.  Not once did she stop and say "I am sure we need to go this way."  She starts all her sentences with a question.  It makes me crazy.   Then when its wrong, and has delayed them a bit, she's all indignant and righteous  " I was right, you need to listen to me!!!!"  That may be so, but you need to actually make a statement in order to be right about it.  

• Love 7

I don't blame Blair for missing the street. All the streets curve and the names are really similar if you're not familiar with Dutch. I was holding a map at all times in Amsterdam and still ended up in a shipping district accidentally at one point.

Hailey is awful, and is getting a bad edit. I have to think that the editors focus on the negative on people if they are given enough material to do so, so it's her fault for giving it to them.

• Love 1

Did anyone else notice at one point that Blair was wearing BOTH backpacks while they were cycling? He looked like he was wearing body armor. It was just for a bit - they must have gotten off their bikes and then got back on because when they got to the ferry, Hayley was wearing hers again. I was in and out of the room, so I missed parts of the broadcast. 

• Love 1

Mistakenly posted this in the episode thread, but it's more germane to the discussion here about how Blair is managing to keep his cool:

Over the course of watching their interaction in the last few episodes, I've come to the conclusion that Blair aced his psychiatric rotation in medical school.  He's handling her in ways very similar to the way you try to manage an agitated  patient -- some of the things he says and does are right out of the verbal de-escalation checklist. It doesn't mean he likes her, but it's a way to handle the situation and keep moving towards the goal. 

Hayley was right about the street sign, but it's hard to catch the important stuff between all the recriminations and complaints, even if it's Einstein when it's mixed up with all the other garbage:  "YOU FREAKING IDIOT YOU MAKE ME SICK e=mc squared I'M GOING TO BE SO MAD STOP GOING SO FAST HURRY UP."

• Love 9

The extras showing him preparing her tent... he is so sweet, and even in the talk to the camera his only comment is disbelief that she's never slept in a tent.  He has amazing self control to not talk about what a nut she is.

Then he happens to mention that he lives on a boat.  He's perfect -- if only I was a couple decades younger, or had a daughter.

• Love 5
He's handling her in ways very similar to the way you try to manage an agitated  patient -- some of the things he says and does are right out of the verbal de-escalation checklist. It doesn't mean he likes her, but it's a way to handle the situation and keep moving towards the goal.

I've noticed that he's using those techniques more and more, and each episode he adds another layer. First it was the phrases, but he still sounded exasperated. Now he's also using the honey-coated tone with her that I've used with scared animals, toddlers who missed their nap and are tantrumming, and irrational adults who are a little threatening but mostly just out of their minds for one reason or another. It's one part fear, one part sympathy, 3 parts tranquilizer dart.

I wonder what would have happened if he'd refused to open her tent for her. He could have said: "You do yours, I believe in you and it will be easier than you think. I'm tired, I'm going to go lie down, I'll see you later" and walked off. Would she have followed him yelling? Or would she have struggled to do it on her own and gained some confidence?? Or just resented him and escalated her criticisms the next day?

Is she capable of empathy if the need for it is pointed out? I notice that he has never said anything about how he feels or what he needs, it's always an assessment of her behavior. For instance, he will say: "I don't know who you are arguing with" or "Good job!" but he never says: "I'm getting a headache and when you yell I can't concentrate" or "Can you write down these directions while I take a photo of the map?" I don't know if it would make any difference, but I'd be very curious (in a clinical way) to see if it did.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 4

I don't blame Blair for missing the street. All the streets curve and the names are really similar if you're not familiar with Dutch. I was holding a map at all times in Amsterdam and still ended up in a shipping district accidentally at one point.

Hailey is awful, and is getting a bad edit. I have to think that the editors focus on the negative on people if they are given enough material to do so, so it's her fault for giving it to them.

Yes, Amsterdam is SO confusing to navigate around! The way it is all laid out in circles, you can't take a straight path to get anywhere. Very easy to get lost.

Hayley is beyond awful. I think the editors are having an awesome time with her. I was cracking up watching this episode. "Blair, faster, come on, Blair, go, go, go, come on, come on!...What, I was being encouraging!?!" "Blair, you have to slow down, you're too far ahead, wait for meee!!...Blair, hurry up, Mike and Rochelle are right behind us!"

How Blair has not smothered her, I don't know. The man seriously has the patience of a saint.

• Love 4

Before going on the show, Hayley got surgery  - a boob job, to fix and enhance her uneven breasts. 

I  think she was expecting a blind-date partner to be very attracted to her, with her big, matching boobs and her platinum blonde hair, along with her little girl voice and passive "helpless female"  act.  I think she'd rather be on "The Bachelor", competing for a man, than on a race around the world. 

Her expectation, from the start, was about how Blair was a cute partner, and they would make a good couple.   When it was obvious that he wasn't interested in her, she kept looking around, hoping to meet another man on the race.   Cute pilot -  she's distracted, and happy, because maybe she flirted and he smiled back at her.   She's clearly in the mode where she's looking for attention. She was hoping for a partner who would say how lucky he was to be teamed up with such a gorgeous woman.   She's so PISSED at Blair for not acting head-over-heels about her.  And maybe a little humiliated that she can't walk away from a cute, smart, funny guy who is not interested in her.    

So every chance she gets, she puts him down, belittles him, lets him know how disappointed she is in him.   But it's not about the RACE - it's about rejection.  

(taking off my therapist hat now) 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 14

Backformore, I really appreciate your post and the points that you made.  I think you really identified Hayley's issue which is she thought her partner would fine her adorable and beautiful thereby considering himself the most fortunate man in the world.  She continues to try to be "cute" and doesn't get the response she wants.  She even had to point out that she still had her helmet on and that it was crooked; I think she thought that everyone would just find that so adorable.  She was so excited to flirt with the pilot as she probably thought that he would respond to her cuteness, helplessness and adorableness.  I also think that she demonstrates her frustration with her situation at every opportunity.  

Sassenach, I had such an 'aha' moment when I read your post as you're so right about how Blair tries to calm Hayley down.

Great posts from everyone.  Hopefully Blair is able to enjoy parts of this adventure in spite of his partner.  It does make me wonder though what the producers told them about the selection process and they type of person with whom they would be partnered.

• Love 3

I was having a discussion IRL with my cousin about how Hayley rudely interrupted when Blair was trying to get directions, was looking around and not even trying to see the directions, and didn't know that was the street, just that it had an H on the sign. So, because he couldn't get the video to play on NBC's website, I transcribed it. Since I went through all that work, I'm posting it here. I really don't know how she expected him to know any differently from what he was told.

She also didn't know it was right, because she wasn't paying attention to the directions. She didn't know the street name, just the H. He didn't think it was the road, but when he realized the river was in the wrong place, he backtracked.

TRANSCRIPT

At min 21 of Can I Get a Hot Tub:

Hayley: We are going to do Soak.
Blair (to stranger): Excuse me, do you know where that is? (shows him the clue)
Stranger: (shows Blair the phone while Hayley looks around) You have to go here...
Hayley: (Looks at phone) Yes. Blair, we need to go.
Blair: (still looking at phone) Got it. Can I actually take a picture of that?
Hayley is still looking around, not paying attention to the directions.
Blair: Down there and then take a left? All right. Thanks.

They ride off.

Hayley: How far up, Blair?
Blair: Just keep going until we hit the road with the H.

Hayley: Blair, which way? There is a street with an H right here.
Blair: Where?
Hayley: It says so on that sign. Something hyphenated with an H. Blair, look.
Blair: Let's get out of here.
Hayley: Look at the sign, Blair.
Blair: Yeah.
Hayley: Not it? Okay, I'm just making sure. Mike and Rochelle are on our tail so we need to move quickly.

At 24:30 of the episode:

Blair: Can we just pull over for a second so I can double check this.
Hayley: Oh my God, Blair. I thought you knew directions. What the hell. Are we lost?

They are now talking over each other.

Blair: This is the Amstel River...(showing the photo to Hayley)
Hayley: Okay...
Blair: ...it looks like here...
Hayley: Well, what is this?
Blair: ...which is going that way. (indicating one direction) So, I think we need to be going that way. (indicating the other direction.)
Hayley: Then why are you reading from the...
Blair: That's where the guy said to go...
Hayley: And I asked you if that was right!
Blair: ...so Listen, we have never been in this city before; it's going to be a work in progress. Let's just figure it out and keep going. How about that, okay.
Hayley: (shaking her head in frustration) Well, which way are we going and are you sure, cause we can't keep riding around going the wrong direction.

Blair laughs.

Hayley: I asked you, I said, “Are you sure that's the way we go,” you said, (imitating Blair) “Yeah, that's where we're going, hahaha. I'm sure Hayley.”  Oh my God! This is not a time to be making mistakes and I asked you if that was right. Where the hell are we going.
Blair: Hayley, you are not thinking you're just screaming.
Hayley: But if this is wrong again, I'm going to be really ticked off. Especially if it's the street I said I think it is. If we are turning here, I'm going to be really pissed off at you. This is the exact street that I said. This is exactly what I said.
Blair: (What or when) did you say?
Hayley: When we stopped here! I said, “Look at that sign, it has the H street on it.”  You have to start listening!
Blair: Well...Oh my God.
Hayley: I freaking told you this was the way. I told you we need to go down this street from the beginning, and you said, “No,” and rode passed it like a freaking idiot. Ahhhh! I am so angry right now. Cause I said this was it and you were like “No, it's not.” (mumble) Ride past it. I'm always right and you never listen.
Blair: Oh my God, what is going on in your head?

Cut to a talking head clip:

Blair: I might have screwed up a street name, let's figure it out, stay calm, and move forward.
Hayley: But the thing is, I was right...
Blair: Who cares, let's be productive, how about that.

• Love 11

You know what? I am immensely enjoying Blair and Haley because they are hilarious. I really think they're playing this stuff up for the camera to some extent because they seemed to have developed an amiable relationship that comes through many times. Although Haley's incessant nagging is grating, I'm enjoying them more than any other team. 

• Love 3

The fact is Hayley is smarter than Blair thinks. The fact is Hayley is smarter than Blair. Period. (She got that rebus puzzle, which puzzled all the rest of them, really quickly).

The color of her hair, the tone of her voice... these are things dumb people -- arrogant, ignorant fools -- pay attention to while ignoring the facts.

At least 3 times it has been shown that Doc Blair has smugly ignored Hayley only to cost them time.

The 1st time he didn't apologize. He needed, then, to sincerely apologize about the fact that and sincerly realize that she was absolutely right and that he needs to listen to her. He hasn't yet apologized for any of his continuing ignorance. The guy is a jerk. The way this dimwit "handles" his failings, by trying to play it off as if he needs to "handle" her, deserves every bit of resentment she has built-up. He still doesn't listen to her and so he needs to "endure" her "constant nagging".

Who she looks like; what her timbre is; the tint of her hair; her sex; her height; her headwear; the way she spells her name; her clothes... don't matter.

• Love 2

I would love to see Blair win the race but on the other hand I really don't want to see Hayley rewarded for her bad behavior.  The extra clip of them arriving at the tents really opened my eyes to their game relationship.  I've noticed that there's lots of scenes we see where he is shown to be carrying both backpacks.  And when they arrived at the tents she asked him to open her tent, inspect it, and set things up on the inside, all while she stood there with a helpless female attitude and her voice notched to a baby talk level.  He obviously wants to win and is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goal.

• Love 4

Hayley is terribly annoying and one of the worst partners I've seen on the show. She relies on Blair for everything, but criticizes everything he does at the same time. I completely sympathize with him as someone who is very patient. The quiet, small quips he makes after Hayley says something is his way of coping and it seems to be very effective.

That being said, Hayley IS very smart, and manages to understand and finish certain tasks much faster than other players/teams in the race. Blair gets someone who tests his mental health, but is also helping him get closer to winning the money.

• Love 1

I agree that Hayley is really smart.  The problem as I see it is that she also plays up her helplessness and ditzyness (ever since the first episode).  So, how is one to know when she is being smart versus being helpless?  She kind of wants it both ways but it is too difficult for others to figure out which persona is being presented to them.  From what has been shown to us, she doesn't want to take the lead on anything so Blair is trying to lead/drive/navigate all at the same time and in order to focus he has to just shut out her constant comments.

• Love 10
So, how is one to know when she is being smart versus being helpless?

Hayley: Blair, which way? There is a street with an H right here.

Blair: Where?

Hayley: It says so on that sign. Something hyphenated with an H. Blair, look.

Blair: Let's get out of here.

Hayley: Look at the sign, Blair.

Blair: Yeah.

Hayley: Not it? Okay, I'm just making sure.

He's a jerk and a fool. She doesn't play up anything she is not; she may be afraid of bugs; and she may be less physically fit.

He's a jerk and a fool and deserves all the "constant nagging".

Edited by Zeditious
The fact is Hayley is smarter than Blair thinks. The fact is Hayley is smarter than Blair. Period. (She got that rebus puzzle, which puzzled all the rest of them, really quickly).

The color of her hair, the tone of her voice... these are things dumb people -- arrogant, ignorant fools -- pay attention to while ignoring the facts.

I'm not sure how you're calling these things fact--I hold no illusions that anything on a reality TV show should be construed as "fact" when it comes to someone's intelligence and comparing it against that of another. 

I have no idea whether Hayley is smarter than Blair or not. I have no idea whether I'm implicitly biased against her because of the color of her hair. I just know that my personal reaction--as a woman--to the way she has consistently been shown to cope with stress and treat her partner is something that doesn't impress me.

• Love 15

In my opinion, Hayley has crossed the line into abuse, and no one deserves that. Blair wasn't paying attention to her with the H street, but she took NO PART in getting the directions, and, in fact, rudely interrupted the man trying to give them to Blair. Did that stranger deserve that treatment?

I disagree that she was right, because she didn't know that was the street. Blair told her they were looking for a street with an H, she pointed out a sign, he didn't think it was right based on the directions he was given, and realized his mistake when the river was on the wrong side. If she had taken part in getting the directions, instead of pestering to go, and said, "this is it," I would agree that she was right. But instead, she reinvents history to her telling him that was the street, and him just ignoring her. She then berates him about following the directions he was given, saying she asked him if they were right, like he's psychic, and blaming him for listening to the local.

He WASN'T listening to her. I capped that because I do see that point. He has completely tuned her out and doesn't seem to communicate with her while they race. He also apologized for being wrong the first time, several times, with her finally saying she would drop it then. That may have been in a bonus clip though. Hayley only takes part in what she wants to, and pouts and complains the rest of the time.

I, personally, didn't notice her implants or hair coloring, but found her (what I'm calling) "helpless female" act grating. As someone who is smart, and in the past been treated like I couldn't be based on my looks, I really hate it when smart women act helpless. She is acting a stereotype for attention, and I don't like it. I'm sure she doesn't care. Last season had strong, smart women, and the dentist had implants but I don't remember anyone discussing it, because she wasn't acting helpless.

• Love 14

He's a jerk and a fool. She doesn't play up anything she is not; she may be afraid of bugs; and she may be less physically fit.

He's a jerk and a fool and deserves all the "constant nagging".

I see it differently.  When you're hearing someone NAG constantly, you tune out the content of what they're saying.  They might insert an important piece of info into the nagging, but you can't hear it because you'd have to listen carefully to EVERYTHING THEY SAY in order to get that one kernel. 

Blair hears "You're such an idiot i'm cold it smells bad here, why are you going so fast, we need to hurry, where are we going, are your sure this is right oh my god you don't listen to me are we lost why are you an idiot (Hey - there's an H-street is that it?)  are we lost, oh my god, why don't you ever listen, stop being a freakin idiot! you're so dumb why don't you listen I'm so pissed at you right now" 

It's like tuning out a whiny toddler -  you HAVE to tune out the whining,  You might miss important information, but you would have to listen very closely to hear it. 

The deleted scene of Blair helping her with her tent shows that he is patient and considerate, while she's being whiny -  "I'm not a tent person!  make sure there's no bugs!"   The tent was set up already  - she asked him to open the zipper door, set up her sleeping bag, and check for bugs.   She's playing the helpless female, and I hate when women do that.  he doesn't deserve the nagging - she deserves to be ignored. 

• Love 17
The 1st time he didn't apologize. He needed, then, to sincerely apologize about the fact that and sincerly realize that she was absolutely right and that he needs to listen to her. He hasn't yet apologized for any of his continuing ignorance. The guy is a jerk. The way this dimwit "handles" his failings, by trying to play it off as if he needs to "handle" her, deserves every bit of resentment she has built-up. He still doesn't listen to her and so he needs to "endure" her "constant nagging".

I am a huge fan of manners as well.  I do believe he has apologized to her for some of his mistakes, but he does gloss over mistakes as well, sure.  However, manners go both ways.  Not once have we seen her apologize to him for freaking out on him, calling him horrible names and pretty much constantly criticizing and belittling him.   Even when she is trying to be encouraging to him, she just ends up sounding irritated.  He's no great shakes in the encouragement area either, so I guess they even out there.  I think they are not suited to work together as they have diametrically opposed ways of working on things.  I do however respond more favourably to Blair's temperament and personality than Hayley's.  She just puts my back up.  It has nothing to do with hair colour or perceived intelligence.  I just don't like her and don't think I ever will.

• Love 4

I don't see how solving a rebus makes her such a brainiac, but obviously YMMV.  I think it just means you're familiar with how they work.

I hate how she treats Blair, but what I find most cringeworthy is how she treats everyone else they encounter.  She is unbelievably rude and self-centered.  The only person she was polite to was that pilot she had a crush on.

And it's appalling how critical she is of the host countries.  As an American, I'm embarrassed.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 10

From the Official Amazing Race Facebook page: "Does Blair deserve a million dollars just for his patience?"

Makes me wonder about the editing - is Haley really as bad as we're seeing?  Or is she even worse?  You could go either way...

• Love 2

The 1st time he didn't apologize. He needed, then, to sincerely apologize about the fact that and sincerly realize that she was absolutely right and that he needs to listen to her. He hasn't yet apologized for any of his continuing ignorance.

Actually, we don't KNOW if he apologized or not.  Unless you know the racers personally, you can't really say what DIDN'T happen, only what we were shown.  Do you know for sure he didn't apologize?    

• Love 2

Blair is a bachelor.  He knows this will be over sooner or later.   He also knows that being "more right" won't get him any closer to the finish line.  He is not eligible for sainthood unless he's married to her, even though the harping she's doing is what you would expect to hear from a partner of 5 years, not 5 days.   

That said, I wish we had seen more of Haley in the hot tub.  She brings it.

I think the fact that he was shown opening and inspecting her tent at her behest (for critters, I guess) and setting things up for her because she's too frail or delicate for such difficult endeavors DESPITE how evilly she treats him -- OK< that doesn't qualify him for sainthood maybe, but it does make him an extremely kind person.  Or perhaps someone who was raised to be courteous to women regardless of the circumstances. 

Plus he constantly carries her backpack for her.

• Love 9

If their personalities were reversed and Blair was the abusive one and Hayley the stoic one, I seriously doubt that anyone would be saying that Hayley is also to blame or that they're both awful, and if anyone did, they'd be accused of victim-blaming. These two remind me of Jonathan and Victoria, with Hayley being Jonathan and Blair Victoria. The only difference is that Hayley hasn't actually gotten physically abusive yet and once the race is over, they don't have to see each other.

Ha!   Yeah, I get the same feeling, of someone being yelled at and called names.  It makes the show uncomfortable to watch. 

I remember on the old forum, when Jonathan joined "anonymously" and posted about the show, defending his actions and talking about things that were not shown on the TV broadcast. He had a lot of information for a casual watcher, of what their "real"  relationship was like.    People called him out on it, and he denied being jonathan, then started his own website to discuss the show.  

Wouldn't it be a hoot if a current racer did that here?  

ETA:   Just remembered - Christina and Ron, the father daughter team from a while back.  Ron was also thought to  be posting under a pseudonym, defending his own actions, and was called out on it. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 9

I remember on the old forum, when Jonathan joined "anonymously" and posted about the show, defending his actions and talking about things that were not shown on the TV broadcast. He had a lot of information for a casual watcher, of what their "real"  relationship was like.    People called him out on it, and he denied being jonathan, then started his own website to discuss the show.  

Wouldn't it be a hoot if a current racer did that here?  

So funny you should mention that, as I was just thinking about it this morning. For some reason.

• Love 3

Blair and Hayley are surprisingly jokey in their discussions on the mat with Phil and in the bonus interviews.  Blair does defend himself there, saying Hayley wasn't paying attention to the directions from the local.  They seem to have developed this older brother/toddler sister type relationship.

• Love 4

Well, hell, I guess I'm smarter than Blair too because I got the puzzle really fast! ;-)

The only fact I know is that Blair and Hayley are partners on a race. I don't know one is smarter than the other. I don't know how much one has or hasn't apologized. I know what I see on tv and then I build some opinions around it.

My opinion is that Hayley's at least smart enough to be an ER nurse and Blair's smart enough to be a doctor, for whatever that's worth (which isn't much, imo). I don't know anything about their actual character, but based on what I see, I see a woman who seems to abdicate responsibility for race decisions to her partner and then berates him for his choices. I also see a guy who appears to be tuning her out because of her never-ending litany of comments, complaints and criticisms. Now that may cost him a million dollars -- or rather half a million -- but perhaps he values his sanity more than that half a million.

I absolutely understand that there could be a whole mess of editing magic going on here, however the caveat is always the editors work with what they have. Hayley's coming off in a poor light (too me) because she gave them plenty to work with. I guess we'll find out at the end of the race when everyone is free to talk if the editors took a lot of liberty or if they were pretty accurate. But for now, team Blair.

And if Hayley is that much smarter than Blair then she ought to be smart enough to know she needs to reel her bullshit in and start racing as an equal. And that means paying attention when your partner's getting directions. And it means at least carrying her own fucking pack if she's going to constantly criticize her partner. It's a bit disingenuous to bitch and moan at him while he's literally carrying your shit.

Edited by Maysie
  • Love 13

I think Hayley may be book smart but she has absolutely zero self-awareness.  

I don't generally watch The Bachelor but the season or so I did, Hayley wouldn't have been pretty enough to have been cast.  She's got the voice down, though.  

She bugged me from day one.  She reminds me a little bit of Rachel.  

The transcripts of the bike exchange don't really do it justice.  When Blair says, "Let's get it out of here", they're stopped in the middle of the street in some weird hub intersection with signs all around them and a bus passing right next to them, while she's yelling "Look!", without making it at all clear what she's asking him to look at.  

Edited by Guest
How is this woman a trauma nurse? When something goes wrong, does she stand around yelling at the person whose fault she thinks it is while the patient dies?

Well she isn't pretty enough to do much else... despite her implants.

I hope she is reading everything everyone thinks about her and realizes what a fucking shrew harpy bitch she is and decides a personality transplant is in order. I wouldn't spend five minutes with her if someone paid me. HORRIBLE person. Free Blair! Free everyone she knows in the world!

• Love 2

I think Hayley may be book smart but she has absolutely zero self-awareness.  

I don;t think she's book smart.  She's more observant than Blair, whereas he's book smarter but misses a lot of stuff.  

But basically they're both idiots.  Of different types.

• Love 1

So I go to this weekly trivia thing here in Seattle, with a mix of people; we do pretty well, usually winning about 1 time in 3, and finishing in the top 3 the rest of the time.

One rule we have, which has worked well with other trivia teams: if you think you know an answer, take a stand, explain your reasoning or thought process.  If no one else is confident, we'll listen and use that as the answer; otherwise, we try to come to a consensus on what seems the best guess.  But if you're just throwing out answers, and then try to take credit when (and only when) you're right... no one gives that any value.  If you didn't take a stand, you weren't confident, and thus you're just cherry picking the few times you're right.

That's how Hayley seems to me: she likes to toss out this stream-of-consciousness dialogue, and those times she's right she harps on- but conveniently forgets when she was wrong, or when she threw out one of a dozen suggestions that happened to be right but was otherwise indistinguishable from the many times she was just spitballing or nagging.  If she really thought the H-street was right, she'd stop, call Blair back, and explain why she thinks it's the right choice beyond just "Oh, don't you remember back when among the hundred other things I screamed at you, I happened to be right about this street through pure luck/chance?". 

• Love 11