Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Mentally Divergent

Per the promo below, you can watch this episode on Syfy.com or On Demand for the next 24 hours!

Cole's search for information about a mysterious organization known as the Army of the 12 Monkeys leads him to a mental institution in 2015, where there's a patient who holds the key to the plague that will destroy the world. Meanwhile, Dr. Railly risks her life and disrupting the course of history to help Cole.

Promo:

Checked it out last night as well.  Thought it was interesting too.  In some ways, it almost feel like a continuation of a pilot, since it seemed to be mainly focused on setting up this Jennifer character.  I only know Emily Hampshire from Rookie Blue, but I thought she did a good job at being off her rocker.  I'm a little bummed she got captured, because I was hoping they would save her, and then Cole would ask Cassandra to watch over her, when he splinters off.  Cassandra/Jennifer would have been fun together!

We also get a "face" for the Army of the 12 Monkeys, with this Tom Noonan character, being creepy as only Tom Noonan can.  Likes to kill people, and cover them with flowers, huh?  Already killed Cassandra's NSA buddy.  Not sure what was the point of getting Robert Wisdom for that role, if he dies this quickly.

Glad we got to see more of Cole's relationship with Ramses/Kirk Acevedo.

Cole and Cassandra are still the best.  I like that Cassandra doesn't let Cole push her away; she's in this now, and she's going to see it through.  I was glad that Cole finally told his boss lady at the end that she's sticking around, and she/boss lady can just deal with it.

Right now, poor Noah Bean still seems to be stuck with saying a variation of either "Cole is dangerous!" or "I want to believe you, Cass, but you sound crazy!"  I do enjoy that, on Nikita, his character was the one no one believed at first.  To be fair, a shady organization that kills people isn't as far-fetched as time-travel...

Hope we get more comedic moments, like Cole accidentally getting sent to North Korea in 2006.  I did like that it actually came back into play with Cassandra's ex.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Likes to kill people, and cover them with flowers, huh?  Already killed Cassandra's NSA buddy.  Not sure what was the point of getting Robert Wisdom for that role, if he dies this quickly.

And he killed everyone in the Markridge lab and framed Jennifer for it.  

Tom Noonan does play creepy well -- from the Stewmaker on the Blacklist to ... I'm going to call him The Florist ..... here (what with leaving flower petals at the scene of the crime).

I was hoping that Cole would pull the mask off of the guy he was fighting with and discover it was someone like Ramse.

Hope we get more comedic moments, like Aaron accidentally getting sent to North Korea in 2006.  I did like that it actually came back into play with Cassandra's ex.

That was pretty funny -- and the fact that it did actually contribute to the plot was a plus.

I'm curious how and when does .. the Florist .. find out about Cole and the Army of the 12 Monkeys ?  Obviously his meeting with Cole doesn't go well (from the scar on his face).  I'm even more curious why Cole goes back to 1987 and meets Leland (even though Cole already knows that Leland is not the cause of the virus' development/release.

Glad we got to see more of Cole's relationship with Martinez/Kirk Acevedo.

Me too.  Been a fan of Kirk since his days as both Charlies on Fringe (the Red and Blue universe versions).

• Love 3

This one was ok but it suffered from two things

(1) too much crazy Ally Sheedy acting like crazy Ally Sheedy and

(2) too little Cole and Cassandra interaction.

But I did like the seemingly randomness of the North Korea thing and Cassandra's boyfriend intersecting.

...Glad we got to see more of Cole's relationship with Martinez/Kirk Acevedo.

Cole and Cassandra are still the best....

Cole and Cassandra are great, but Cole and Ramse/Acevedo are my new favorite fictional relationship.

...Hope we get more comedic moments, like Cole accidentally getting sent to North Korea in 2006. I did like that it actually came back into play with Cassandra's ex.

When they showed the words "North Korea 2006," I said aloud, "Oh crap," and then LOLed.

ETA: Kudos to the guy who played the Korean torturer for the expression on his face after Cole vanished.

I almost hate to get my hopes up, but this show seems like it could be really good. I realize there aren't that many viewers who already love time travel and apocalypse stories (and any Fringe alumni are a bonus for me), but based on the near-universal adoration for Breaking Bad, I think it's safe to say that everyone can appreciate a story that is consistent and holds together. Sometimes it's those little things, like the address from North Korea.

One possible nit pick that could be a warning sign of questionable production quality: Jennifer spit out the red and blue pills and then yelled that if she had yellow she could paint the world, which is fine, because those are the three primary colors. But then, when Cole asks her about numbers, she continues to refer to "primary" numbers instead of prime numbers, even much later in reference to 12 not being "primary." Is this a mistake? Or is it a writing, acting, and/or direction choice to enhance the crazy? If so, I could buy it. I mean, it seems she was pretty normal until she saw the gruesome murders, at which point she had a personality dissociation. So maybe part of her personality thinks in color and the other in numbers? Fanwanking here. Anyone else? Is there a podcast or tweet to clarify?

Edited by shapeshifter

The North Korea part was funny and I liked how it all circled back to Cassandra finding Cole.  Honestly I think the best part for me is Cassandra and Cole when they are together. I find myself drifting a bit when Cassandra isn't on screen but that is mainly because she is the one I have related to.  

Did love the scene between Cole and Martinez.  "Are you my father?"  That cracked me up.  Time travel humor.  

• Love 2

...Did love the scene between Cole and Martinez.  "Are you my father?"  That cracked me up.  Time travel humor.

Yes, I loved that and the whole exchange leading up to it!

IMDb and Jones/Barbara Sukowa refer to Acevedo's character as "Ramse." Chaos Theory and Thuganomics85, why do you call him Martinez?

• Love 3

Yes, I loved that and the whole exchange leading up to it!

IMDb and Jones/Barbara Sukowa refer to Acevedo's character as "Ramse." Chaos Theory and Thuganomics85, why do you call him Martinez?

Because I am lazy and didn't look him up and just checked to see what others referred to him as,  

• Love 1

And, I apparently, just wasn't paying attention.  Not sure where I got Martinez from.  My apologies, Kirk Acevedo!  Least I could do is get your character's name right!

Well, since IMDb doesn't have a last name for him yet (I'm not sure that they didn't also just fail to give his first name a "y" yet), maybe he will turn out to be Ramse (or Ramsey) Martinez. ;>)

Well, since IMDb doesn't have a last name for him yet (I'm not sure that they didn't also just fail to give his first name a "y" yet), maybe he will turn out to be Ramse (or Ramsey) Martinez. ;>)

It should be Moses Cole and Ramses Martinez...

• Love 1

My two favorite conversations in this episode:

Ramsey: I want you to have fun back there this time, okay? I want you to get laid. Find some vintage.
Cole: Vintage?
Ramse: Yes.
Cole: What was your mom's name again? Roberta, right?
Ramsey: See, that is some cold shit right there.
Cole: Briar Street, Philly.
Ramsey: You're not being nice to me.
Cole: She was pretty, right?
Ramsey: Let me ask you - are you my father?

Cole: How did you find me?
Cassie: North Korea called.

• Love 7

Hope we get more comedic moments, like Cole accidentally getting sent to North Korea in 2006.  I did like that it actually came back into play with Cassandra's ex.

I saw that very much as a Butterfly Wing moment.  A butterfly flaps it's wings in North Korea in 2006 and and in 2015 there is a hurricane in the US.  Whatever Cole changes -- even if it's unintentional, and positively minor -- it's going to have a ripple effect on the overall situation.

Tom Noonan does play creepy well -- from the Stewmaker on the Blacklist to ... I'm going to call him The Florist ..... here (what with leaving flower petals at the scene of the crime).

He is so perfectly creepy, I always go back to him as Dollarhyde in Manhunter, scary as hell. So far enjoying this show, looking forward to the progress, and excited that those with OnDemand can watch the next ep immediately, if only for a day.

Hey everyone, I haven't seen the movie  but I am absolutely in love with this show so far. Correct me if I'm wrong but I am getting the vibe that Jones (the older lady doctor from the future) is actually Cassandra. She says in the episode I was 37 when it happened (2017) considering Cassandra was born 1980 that would make their ages match up. Also they look alike and she seems really angry with him for getting close to Cassandra. 

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong but I am getting the vibe that Jones (the older lady doctor from the future) is actually Cassandra. She says in the episode I was 37 when it happened (2017) considering Cassandra was born 1980 that would make their ages match up. Also they look alike and she seems really angry with him for getting close to Cassandra.

That's an interesting theory and would be kind of cool if it's true. But they have quite different accent and way of speaking.

I've got to agree with @waving feather on this. With time travel there is always a "but", but ... I don't think that Jones is an elder version of Cassandra since Cole sought out the skeleton of Cassie at that lab complex to retrieve her watch BEFORE he ever went back in time.  So unless there were two of her in that timeline because of a splinter by another unknown time traveler, Jones can't be Cassie -- though my head is starting to hurt from the paradoxes that could in fact cause that to be true.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I am getting the vibe that Jones (the older lady doctor from the future) is actually Cassandra.

Cassie is dead in 2043.  We know this because Cole retrieved her watch from her skeleton.  So, unless Jones is actually Cassie from another timeline.....

ETA: Or, what Otto said first.  But only because he traveled back into the past and got his post in before me!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4

I just want to know who the actress who plays the time travel boss with the bad accent is?

I too think it is Cassandra somehow.

When Cole says "I'm not supposed to be here" and TTB says "None of us are."   It has to mean something more than just an altered time line.   It's just the way she said it.   Too ominious by half.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2

If Jones is really futureCassie, I can see her faking her accent so he won't mention her to herself in the past... or something... timey-wiimey whatever. What I can't understand is why pretend she doesn't know what the corrupted message from pastCassie is - she seems genuine about wanting to fix things.

I just want to know who the actress who plays the time travel boss with the bad accent is?

Jones is played by Barbara Sukowa, and that's probably her natural German accent.

Whether there's actually a link between Jones and Cassie, I'm not sure yet. But I do believe the show is at least trying to have us think that way. They certainly look alike, and have the brains to handle everything that's happening. And -a small, probably insignificant detail- but I noticed that Jones and Cassie had matching lipstick both episodes, red in the pilot and pink this week. It stood out to me because where is someone going to find quality beauty products at the end of the world, and why bother with lipstick at all when you're busy trying to mend an apocalypse?

Humor highlights: North Korea, and Goines calling Cole an otter.

And whoever compared Goines to Ally Sheedy is right on - and now I very much need to see her playing futureGoines. I love when Ally Sheedy gets to play crazy; even her hair commits to the role (as did the current actress').

• Love 2

I thought this was better than the first episode.  While I had trouble believing that last week's villain (Goines?) actually wanted 7 billion people dead, I can believe that either the Florist or Jennifer would be type to want to kill 7 billion (either out of ideology or craziness). 

I did wonder why the Florist left both Cole and Cassie alive.  Maybe he's onto this whole time-travel thing, and knows that killing them prematurely would disrupt his plot?   Even if the villains don't have a time-travel machine, if they can play the time-travel game, then that could take the show to a whole different level than I was expecting from the pilot.  Come on, show, you can do it.  Don't let me down (I'm looking at you, Helix).

Awesome episode!  I think it started a bit slow, which is fine with me actually, but at the end I just said "awesome."  I'm glad I don't remember the details from the movie.  I'm not comparing or anything. Just enjoying this.

I think this episode is stronger than the pilot, which had some scenes which took me out of the show but everything gelled together in this one. Good chemistry between Cassie and Cole. Good chemistry between Cole and Ramsey. So far I'm liking the cast. It's a bit low budget but I can see they're trying to make the most of it.

• Love 1

Not sure where I got Martinez from.  My apologies, Kirk Acevedo!

Could be because:

I've been in love with Kirk Acevedo since he played Miguel Alvarez on Oz.

Don't have a crush on him, but he's a great actor and improves every show he's on - always very very happy to see him.   And I'm not sure why this is, but an awful lot of the people who were on Oz are always their Oz name to me.  Acevedo is Alvarez, J K Simmons is Schillinger, Lee Tergesen is Beecher, Dean Winters is Ryan O'Reilly, Christopher Meloni is Keller, Harold Perrinau is Augustus.  All the funnier since most have never played characters so dark since then.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
If Jones is really futureCassie, I can see her faking her accent so he won't mention her to herself in the past... or something... timey-wiimey whatever. What I can't understand is why pretend she doesn't know what the corrupted message from pastCassie is - she seems genuine about wanting to fix things.

Is there a real reason to think she's Cassie?  Didn't the pilot have Cole pulling the watch off Cassie's corpse?  I guess Jones could have set that all up, it just seems overly complicated.   

If you've ever seen Poltergeist II, I feel like they've dressed him up here exactly like the main villain from that movie.   He does creepy very well.   

Edited by txhorns79

Well, I'm in. I love the premise (don't really remember the movie) and like both leads. Usually I find one or the other weak, but I like them and I buy their chemistry. I like their developing "us against the world" mentality. I also find a budding romance between them credible. He obviously developed a fixation/crush on her when preparing for the mission, and it seems that she has been really isolated by her first encounter with him. Yes, she was probably naive sharing the true details of that experience and leading everyone to think she's bonkers, but it makes her open to connecting with him

I find that each episode answers enough questions that I feel resolution, and it presents enough new questions that I'm hooked for the next episode.

Dipping my toe in the shallow end, it doesn't hurt that I think both lead actors are attractive and charismatic. I probably wouldn't find Cole plain old attractive, but I think his intensity and charisma captivating.

As Janeway says, time travel gives me a headache, but so far it hasn't been so timey-wimey that I'm taken out of the show by the logical inconsistencies. It will be interesting to see how it develops with Cole experiencing time in a different order than Cassie is. That'll wreak havoc on a relationship. ;-)

Also, the assassin with the flowers was pretty effing creepy, just bordering on moustache-twirling. Anyway, so far, I'm definitely along for the ride, and I'm excited when I see it on my dvr. Good job, show!

• Love 3

I also find a budding romance between them credible. He obviously developed a fixation/crush on her when preparing for the mission, and it seems that she has been really isolated by her first encounter with him.

Yes, this is one of the storytelling elements I like best so far in this show.  It really does feel believeable.

I also find a budding romance between them credible. He obviously developed a fixation/crush on her when preparing for the mission, and it seems that she has been really isolated by her first encounter with him.

When he stared at her photo before time traveling and Jones went "she is not your mission" I was reminded a bit of "the Terminator" where Recce gets a fixation on Sarah Connor from her photo in the future. Though I think he might have had a crush on her at the start I think he thought it wouldn't matter anyway because once Goines was killed he would go into another time line. It was in this episode where he really seemed to fight to interact with her.

I'm really enjoying the show too. I do know the movie -- good movie -- and they have changed some elements, but it's good change that lets it be an ongoing TV series.

Tom Noonan does play creepy well

He does indeed. But on Hell on Wheels, though he was crazy (more than creepy), he also had some fairly emotional, heartbreaking scenes.

when Cole asks her about numbers, she continues to refer to "primary" numbers instead of prime numbers, even much later in reference to 12 not being "primary." Is this a mistake? Or is it a writing, acting, and/or direction choice to enhance the crazy?

I noticed that too. It was a little distracting, but it seemed like a personality thing to me.

This is one of a few shows that I look forward to right now. Hope it stays that way.

I'm in to see where this goes. The mystery is really intriguing. Although, are they going to have Cole going back and forth through time that often? Seems a bit much, so soon.

I think they should have aired this with the Pilot.

And -a small, probably insignificant detail- but I noticed that Jones and Cassie had matching lipstick both episodes, red in the pilot and pink this week. It stood out to me because where is someone going to find quality beauty products at the end of the world, and why bother with lipstick at all when you're busy trying to mend an apocalypse?

And how nice of the mental hospital to let Jennifer Goines keep her mascara and eyeliner.

• Love 1

I'm late to the party because Syfy is not SciFi but I'm pet sitting a dog that can't be left alone so I decided to check this show out after reading good things about it.  Two episodes in and I'm pleasantly surprised.

If Jones and Cassie are one and the same then wouldn't she know what she said on the recording and not send Cole to kill Goines and then have to go back a filter her own message about the 12 Monkeys?  That seems like a waste of time.

I think that old white creepy guy is the Slender Man.