Type keyword(s) to search

Hallmark Movies: Small Town Royalty Magically Celebrating Rekindled Love! - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, kirinan said:

@FunnyFace - This is in no way meant as confrontational; I’m genuinely interested. How would you have had them take advantage of the opportunity? I honestly can’t wrap my head around what they could do without turning it into a completely different, non-Hallmark type of movie.

ETA: I did enjoy the movie, btw. The actors were all good, and the story reminded me of those 42nd Street-type old Hollywood movies, which I’ve always loved.

Hmmm..... I would have had the Maggie and Alice characters audition -- in New York, and both are totally fabulous, but whereas Maggie is offered a job, she overhears that Alice won't be hired because her 'look' does not fit (or other Hallmark-ese for 'black dancers won't be hired'). Maggie joins the line, lives at the residence hall and her plot line(s) continue, with the addition that she reconnects with Alice, who studies and teaches at a studio with dancers of color. Alice continues to try to get a foot in the door (no pun intended) at Music Hall and Maggie, after finding love and reconciling with her family, convinces the stage manager/company manager to see the holiday production at Alice's studio. Stage manager/company manager is bowled over again by Alice's talent and drive and she is offered the dance captain position where she vows to fight from within to expand opportunities for dancers who look like her. In the final frame, as older Maggie and John kiss on the forestage, older Alice looks from the wings marveling at the diversity now on the stage. 

Edited by FunnyFace
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1

Add me to the list of people disappointed by A Tale of Two Christmases. I liked Evan Roderick in that figure skating Netflix show Spinning Out, but he was boring as hell in this one. I thought they could have put a little more effort into the other guy. His greatest sin was not having a big Christmas celebration because his mom died, and drinking plain hot chocolate. Chandler Massay was definitely playing the same exact character from Next Stop, Christmas. He just has a eternally youthful face. It will be a long time before he can break into that Holiday Everyman role. 

Haul out the Holly was a lot of fun! I usually skip Lacey Chabert movies, but tuned in for this one. I did have to rewind the credits when I saw it was written by Andy Sandberg, not Andy Samberg. 

I almost skipped #XMAS because of the unfortunate name, and also Brant Daugherty can be a little MUCH for me (even though I love A Christmas Movie Christmas) but I watched it after it was recommended here, and enjoyed it. I thought it was a decent spin on fake dating/unrequited love. Although I thought they would shift the social media exposure to the sister, since she was actually living the life her sister was pretending to have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Question about Haul out the Holly. I feel like something was unresolved -- like I was missing something. In the beginning, when Emily first called her parents, they hung up and her father got on his walkie-talkie and put some sort of plan in action.  Emily kept asking everyone if her parents really didn't decorate their house and people would just ignore her. So I could understand if her parents had decorated the whole house before they left for Florida.  That would make sense. Then, once they found out that Emily was coming, they got the whole house undecorated so that Emily would become involved in the HOA decorating thing. BUT part of it seemed to be to matchmake her and Jared. So my question is whether or not there were two schemes set up by the parents or if they neighbors (minus Jared) did the matchmaking on their own?

The lens-less glasses on My Southern Family Christmas really bothered me. I assume he was wearing glasses to make it obvious that he was "a nerd," but without the lenses to avoid glare. So I was happy to see Wes Brown (one of my favorites) wearing real glasses in Haul out the Holly. Glare happens in real life.

27 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

So my question is whether or not there were two schemes set up by the parents or if they neighbors (minus Jared) did the matchmaking on their own?

I don't know if the parents planned matchmaking or just to get their daughter involved. I think probably just to get their daughter involved. The dad was happy she broke up with her boyfriend but I'd find it hard to believe the parents thought she should go right into a new relationship.  They did put away a Christmas tree as soon as they learned she was coming home.

17 hours ago, FunnyFace said:

Christmas Spectacular has me yelling at the television. There were no black Rockettes in 1957, the time period of the film. The Rockettes actually had a policy preventing the hiring of dancers of color. For heavens sake Hallmark movie script writer and Radio City Music Hall you had an opportunity to here but wasted with  white washing history.

17 hours ago, FunnyFace said:

Christmas Spectacular has me yelling at the television. There were no black Rockettes in 1957, the time period of the film. The Rockettes actually had a policy preventing the hiring of dancers of color. For heavens sake Hallmark movie script writer and Radio City Music Hall you had an opportunity to here but wasted with  white washing history.

I'm torn on accurate history versus trying to be inclusive. But if pushed, I think I'd take the side of accurate history. It's really difficult when movies are set in the pre-Civil Rights period and film/tv wants to include POC as something other than background characters, or stereotypes (cook, maid, etc.).  Although I applaud them for the effort, it does take the viewer out of the story to present a POC as someone with agency, who either didn't face racism (or just a little of it) when trying to realize their dreams.

I know this isn't the When Calls the Heart forum, but in the last few years, the show has added POC to the cast (mostly as background), but now has a black family prominently featured as central to the cast. And this is a show that takes place decades before the Rockettes holiday movie!  From time to time, the show would (quickly) talk about how the black family faced "hardship/difficulties" elsewhere, but have now found a home in Hope Valley because the community has accepted them from go whole heartedly. Um yeah, like that would happen IRL in early 20th century North America.

4 hours ago, FunnyFace said:

Hmmm..... I would have had the Maggie and Alice characters audition -- in New York, and both are totally fabulous, but whereas Maggie is offered a job, she overhears that Alice won't be hired because her 'look' does not fit (or other Hallmark-ese for 'black dancers won't be hired'). Maggie joins the line, lives at the residence hall and her plot line(s) continue, with the addition that she reconnects with Alice, who studies and teaches at a studio with dancers of color. Alice continues to try to get a foot in the door (no pun intended) at Music Hall and Maggie, after finding love and reconciling with her family, convinces the stage manager/company manager to see the holiday production at Alice's studio. Stage manager/company manager is bowled over again by Alice's talent and drive and she is offered the dance captain position where she vows to fight from within to expand opportunities for dancers who look like her. In the final frame, as older Maggie and John kiss on the forestage, older Alice looks from the wings marveling at the diversity now on the stage. 

This might be the way to go. Don't whitewash history, but do show how society has advanced since X time period.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, FunnyFace said:

Thank you! I think that would make for a wonderful and more historically correct way to keep Alice in there and show how things changed over the years. And it makes for a great story. I also think we need to scheme on how to get you into the Hallmark writers' room, @FunnyFace.

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I think it's unconscionable the way Hallmark whitewashed the ugly racist history of the Rockettes. Instead it appears that the Rockettes should be admired for the way they treated (and promoted!) African-American dancers in the 1950's. It was almost 30 years after this movie supposedly took place that the Rockettes hired their first African-American dancer.  And besides that, the movie was complete crap - bad writing and bad acting - it really had no redeeming value at all. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

I'm torn on accurate history versus trying to be inclusive. But if pushed, I think I'd take the side of accurate history. It's really difficult when movies are set in the pre-Civil Rights period and film/tv wants to include POC as something other than background characters, or stereotypes (cook, maid, etc.).  Although I applaud them for the effort, it does take the viewer out of the story to present a POC as someone with agency, who either didn't face racism (or just a little of it) when trying to realize their dreams.

I completely understand but strongly feel we need to push for accurate history. Inclusivity and accurately depicting the circumstances of individuals (racially, ethnically, by gender, etc.) pre Civil Rights is not mutually exclusive. Representation matters but it also matters how under-represented communities are depicted with all of our three-dimensional strengths and weaknesses. The push comes from us the viewers but I also hold the producer(s) and the writer(s) accountable. Being able to show some of the Rockette's choreography was a fantastic get but the producer(s) should have pushed back against Radio City Music Hall and its attempt to present itself as this multiracial, integrated work environment when historically that was not the case.

Yes, I know that would have meant no Rockettes. So what! There are other stories.  Consider Lester Horton, founder of a racially integrated dance company, performing during the same time period. Or take the basic premise of 42nd Street framed with a Christmas twist, some new songs (heck one of the songs could be called Time for [fill in the blank] to Get Home for Christmas, and instead of a kick line, have some of the most awesome tap dancing! As I think on it, the tropes in 42nd Street play right into Hallmark's usual plots/tropes.

1 hour ago, kirinan said:

Thank you! I think that would make for a wonderful and more historically correct way to keep Alice in there and show how things changed over the years. And it makes for a great story. I also think we need to scheme on how to get you into the Hallmark writers' room, @FunnyFace.

LOL! Thanks @Kirinan! I'm happy to provide my .02 to Hallmark's writers any time. :)

Edited by FunnyFace
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
26 minutes ago, anniebird said:

I think it's unconscionable the way Hallmark whitewashed the ugly racist history of the Rockettes. Instead it appears that the Rockettes should be admired for the way they treated (and promoted!) African-American dancers in the 1950's. It was almost 30 years after this movie supposedly took place that the Rockettes hired their first African-American dancer.  And besides that, the movie was complete crap - bad writing and bad acting - it really had no redeeming value at all. 

I agree with you Anniebird. I'm a sucker for dance-related themes but this being Hallmark world, I should have known I would be disappointed. I agree the writing was dreck but I thought some of acting was fine.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, FunnyFace said:

I agree with you Anniebird. I'm a sucker for dance-related themes but this being Hallmark world, I should have known I would be disappointed. I agree the writing was dreck but I thought some of acting was fine.

It probably was but I was so angry at the whole thing I refused to give it any credit at all. 😋

So... didn't care much for The Royal Nanny, or A Royal Corgi Christmas. I think I'm just burned out on "Royal" movies, and neither the cute dog or the spy angle were enough to get me invested.

My Southern Family Christmas was... atypical. The whole Louisiana, cajun schtick usually leaves me somewhat cold, but Bruce Campbell + the writing made it work for me in the end, despite some doubts during the first half.

A Tale of two Christmases was bland. Just bland. At every corner. I think my mind just stopped working halfway through, cos I don't seem to remember much, already. Meh.

Haul out the Holly was a nice surprise, though. Fun, goofy, lighthearted, with a decent amount of comedy and amusing writing. A nice change of pace from the usual Lacey Chabert movies.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kaoteek said:

Haul out the Holly was a nice surprise, though. Fun, goofy, lighthearted, with a decent amount of comedy and amusing writing. A nice change of pace from the usual Lacey Chabert movies.

I enjoyed this one as well.  I have only two mild criticisms.  I make this one for any of the movies that do this - but who actually puts up a Christmas tree,  a fully decorated Christmas tree at that, in their bedroom?? and while the snowman building scene was cute the snowmen were so blatantly fake I think I rolled my eyes right into the back of my head!  That said I loved everything else about it so give these minor blips a pass.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, kirinan said:

I swear, even with my all-time favorite Hallmark movie as #1, I did NOT write this list of the 27 Best Hallmark Holiday Movies of All Time. And I'm not sure what their criteria was, because there's a LOT I don't agree with (I'd put A Crown for Christmas at #2 instead of their royal pick). But still, fun to look at and discuss.

I agreed with a lot of the movies being on that list, not necessarily in that order (Window Wonderland is in my top 5 for instance) but I do question how any movie released this year can be on a best of all time list!  It also seemed like someone went out of their way to make sure no movie that starred Candace Cameron made that list.  Whatever you think of her she did do a few really good Hallmarks!

Edited by Elizabeth Anne
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I feel like whoever created that list leaned towards the more serious Christmas movies. I do appreciate that they included a lot of older movies- Trading Christmas is a favorite of mine! I probably would have listed Snow Bride and Road to Christmas higher up, and definitely would have included Crown for Christmas. Mingle All the Way is another that I really like, but it rarely gets mentioned or makes any lists. Magical Christmas Ornaments is another I like that isn't often mentioned. 

Now that I think of it, didn't Jessica Lowndes defect to GAF as well? Maybe that list pointedly left off anyone who went exclusively to that channel. 

2 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

I agreed with a lot of the movies being on that list, not necessarily in that order (Window Wonderland is in my top 5 for instance) but I do question how any movie released this year can be on a best of all time list!  It also seemed like someone went out of their way to make sure no movie that starred Candace Cameron made that list.  Whatever you think of her she did do a few really good Hallmarks!

I think A Crown For Christmas (Danica) and A Christmas Detour (Candace) are two movies I'd put on my list.

But I think it's fair to include some movies from this year considering I think it's just this author's opinion. Her opinion might change in the future after she sits with some of the movies for a while but I think she picked out some movies that absolutely have some lasting power.

2 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I feel like whoever created that list leaned towards the more serious Christmas movies. I do appreciate that they included a lot of older movies.

I'd say it's a pretty decent mix of both more heartwarming movies and comedic movies.  And of course, there are those with both.

1 hour ago, anniebird said:

That's a very decent list - one I would add (and it's fairly old) is If You Believe starring Ally Walker, Tom Amandes, and an insanely talented 7 year-old Hayden Panattiere.

That was Lifetime.  This list is purely Hallmark.

• Love 1

I really like Rachel Boston and Victor Webster but the plot of A Christmas Cookie Catastrophe is just so stupid even for a Hallmark movie. The only physical copy of the company’s secret recipe is in a display case and there’s only one digital copy. When both of those are stolen her only option is to try and recreate the recipe rather than talking to the people who actually make the cookies. 

53 minutes ago, Makai said:

When both of those are stolen her only option is to try and recreate the recipe rather than talking to the people who actually make the cookies. 

Aren't the cookies made by a machine?  I think there was about 30 minutes of that movie that I kind of enjoyed--once I realized it was a very very very silly mystery movie.  But then I got bored with it. 

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Aren't the cookies made by a machine?

Not entirely. There is still someone who needs to add the ingredients to the mixer. Even if it could be completely automated there would be someone involved who would have a rough idea of the recipe. 

On 11/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, FunnyFace said:

I love this.  You need to be in that HM writers' room!

15 hours ago, kirinan said:

I swear, even with my all-time favorite Hallmark movie as #1, I did NOT write this list of the 27 Best Hallmark Holiday Movies of All Time. And I'm not sure what their criteria was, because there's a LOT I don't agree with (I'd put A Crown for Christmas at #2 instead of their royal pick). But still, fun to look at and discuss.

Agree re: Crown for Christmas, and I'll add that The Christmas Secret needs to at least be in the top 10!  It's in my Top 5.

Edited by Miss Bones

For whatever reason, Hallmark seems to put a high number of their older movies on the back shelf.  There are a lot of really good films, made before 2018, that they don’t show anymore, or if they do, they’re on at 2am.  Personally, I’m getting tired of seeing the same movies over and over again.  I mean, how many times do we need to see Christmas Under Wraps, A Godwink Christmas, Royal Queens Christmas, Journey Back to Christmas, The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, and on and on.  Hallmark has a treasure trove of movies, but for whatever reason, they choose to retire too many. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

For whatever reason, Hallmark seems to put a high number of their older movies on the back shelf.  There are a lot of really good films, made before 2018, that they don’t show anymore, or if they do, they’re on at 2am.  Personally, I’m getting tired of seeing the same movies over and over again.  I mean, how many times do we need to see Christmas Under Wraps, A Godwink Christmas, Royal Queens Christmas, Journey Back to Christmas, The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, and on and on.  Hallmark has a treasure trove of movies, but for whatever reason, they choose to retire too many. 

I don't think they exactly retire them - they send them to Hallmark Movies Now where you have to pay to see them.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 11/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, FunnyFace said:

Did you watch the T-Day parade? Not much has changed. Same with the various other performance groups Macy’s has “assembled” (cheerleaders, drill teams, dance teams) from across the nation. Didn’t see a lot of diversity.

2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

That’s probably because, outside of the Hall of Fame productions, Hallmark doesn’t own their older movies. They only started producing their own non-Hall of Fame movies in 2016. 

• Useful 2

Interesting list.  I have not seen a lot of these movies, pretty much anything before 2015 or so, except Trading Christmas, which I really like, and Window Wonderland, which I watched last night and agree with @Elizabeth Anneshould be much higher.  I don't care for any royal movies and am not sure how anyone could choose Christmas Getaway over Project Christmas Wish, either as a good movie or as a Travis Van Winkle vehicle.

15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That was Lifetime.  This list is purely Hallmark.

To those of us who watch on any number of Canadian channels, if you miss the opening credits, it's almost impossible to know whether it's Hallmark, Lifetime, ReelOne, or some other production company.  The actors seem to be as interchangeable as the stories.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I forgot, I wanted to mention that A Season for Miracles is available to watch on Peacock.  I had never seen it before, and at the recommendation of one of my fellow Hallmark Primetimers (not sure which poster it was), I watched it over the weekend.  I loved it!  Mae Whitman was such a great little child actor, and I thought that the whole cast did wonderfully.   I loved the small-town feel.  It had exactly the kind of warm, heartfelt tone that I love in a Hallmark Christmas movie, which is why I gravitate more toward the HMM Christmas movies, than the romance ones.  I highly recommend it.

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/27/2022 at 7:54 PM, norcalgal said:

Time for Him to Come Home for Christmas was the first ever movie I’ve watched in this series, and I quite enjoyed it. The lead actress was one of the strongest in terms of acting chops I’ve seen in holiday movies across all channels (Hallmark, Lifetime, etc.).  Yes, there’s the trope of Tyler’s character misunderstanding the scene he walked in on between Elizabeth and their dead friend, but I didn’t mind that trope this time around because of the dialogue and how the scene played out in the den. The chemistry/vibes between the two leads was very good. I did buy that they were longtime friends, and it developed into something more.
I also liked that there was a mystery for the leads to solve, and decent airtime was given to the B story and how the B story mirrored the current story with themes of loss/lost love and second chances.

One of the best scenes for me was between Elizabeth and voicemail guy. It was such a moving scene well acted by both actors.

That said, Madelyn really shouldn’t have given the guy a second chance since the guy she was with seemed like a nice, thoughtful partner (he got the item wrong but remembered she was looking in the candy store window). Traveling cross country with him (didn’t they live in Nashville?) seemed to imply theirs was a significant relationship so dropping him didn’t jive with me.

Same, I didn't even know it was a series! I really enjoyed this movie because the chemistry between the leads was very good. 

My one issue was Madelyn dropping the guy. I mean the way the wrote it with him knowing it wasn't going to workout was nice but why even have him at all? I just felt bad for the dude. Otherwise this was a pretty good one.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
19 hours ago, Makai said:

I really like Rachel Boston and Victor Webster but the plot of A Christmas Cookie Catastrophe is just so stupid even for a Hallmark movie. The only physical copy of the company’s secret recipe is in a display case and there’s only one digital copy. When both of those are stolen her only option is to try and recreate the recipe rather than talking to the people who actually make the cookies. 

Not to mention the resolution of the whole mystery. Her grandmother told her friend/advisor before he died to steal the recipe to teach Rachel Boston to care about people? Or to trick her into falling in love with Victor Webster? Or both? It wasn't really clear, but both reasons are super stupid.

• LOL 3
On 11/28/2022 at 5:02 PM, kirinan said:

Even though it's at the bottom, a decision I thoroughly disagree with, I'm glad Window Wonderland made the list.  That's the movie where I met TV Boyfriend Paul Campbell.  

• Like 2
  • Love 6

I really wanted to like A Tale of Two Christmases.  The premise was interesting, the acting was better than average for a Hallmark but like others posting here I just found it dull.  I've realized why - too damn wordy!   In give it an 8 for the idea and 3 for the execution of the idea.

3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

Even though it's at the bottom, a decision I thoroughly disagree with, I'm glad Window Wonderland made the list.  That's the movie where I met TV Boyfriend Paul Campbell.  

Right?  I think of him more as my Hallmark husband, as his humour and charm outweigh his admitted good looks.  I love Window Wonderland but Wedding Every Weekend (that's a lot of Ws) is my favourite because despite the stupid misunderstanding with 15 minutes to go, he comes across as very sweet and vulnerable and my heart breaks at the last wedding when he just says, 'well, bye' and walks away.  My boyfriend is Travis Van Winkle, because as wonderful as I'm sure he is in real life, his hotness overrides his characters' charms.

• Love 2

The Rockettes movie was ridiculously and aggressively "vintage" -- and all those cutesy-NOT little hats the lead actress wore apparently just to have breakfast. 

Her sweet photographer boyfriend was made up to look like a 1930's-early 40's Dead End Kid with that cap, incongruously paired with rolled "juvenile delinquent" blue jeans from the actual 1950's.  I guess the Hallmark "fashion/art" department didn't seem to know what time period they wanted to display.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2022 at 6:02 PM, kirinan said:

My two absolute favorite Christmas movies are

1) A Christmas Detour

2) A Dream of Christmas

Neither of which made the list. That list is utter hogwash!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 11/30/2022 at 7:13 PM, Bronx Babe said:

Rockettes movie was ridiculously and aggressively "vintage"

True I guess but I just saw this one and I really liked it.  Gotta suspend belief (needless to say) and it was a little too sacharine for me but that said I enjoyed it.  The only thing I hated was the unlikely crisis in the budding romance at the 90 minute mark which absolutely did not ring true.

Loved the dancing for one thing and it was awesome to see Ann Margaret.  Not a movie I think I would ever have on in eternal re-run, and it won't be making my top 10 list but it was a fun way to pass a few hours.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 11/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, norcalgal said:

The series of a league of their own, did this really well this year they showed the story of the white players who were able to join a league and had a parallel storyline of a black woman who had similarly been denied the chance to play because she was a woman now not allowed to play because of race.  The series felt inclusive because there was still parts for Black actors without erasing that they were historically denied opportunities based on their skin color. Personally I have a real problem with presentism and pretending like we've always been this perfect multi ethnic society, it doesn't need to be preachy or overtly presenting racism in a sappy Hallmark film but if you're going to show history I'd prefer for it to be somewhat accurate

23 hours ago, Elizabeth Anne said:

True I guess but I just saw this one and I really liked it.  Gotta suspend belief (needless to say) and it was a little too sacharine for me but that said I enjoyed it.  The only thing I hated was the unlikely crisis in the budding romance at the 90 minute mark which absolutely did not ring true.

Loved the dancing for one thing and it was awesome to see Ann Margaret.  Not a movie I think I would ever have on in eternal re-run, and it won't be making my top 10 list but it was a fun way to pass a few hours.

Same, it was fine I enjoyed the dancing. I was convinced that when I looked her up the lead actress would be in some way related to Anna Camp, they look alike and sound alike to my ears but no relation as far as I can see

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Saccharine was definitely the word for it in my book, as though the 1950's were some wistful, gauzy, never-never land, lol.  I really wish they hadn't made the photographer boyfriend look like an old Hollywood Warner Brothers newsboy urchin.

I didn't see Haul Out The Holly but you say there is a fake snowman?  That I gotta see, lol.   Poor little guy, made out of foam?

A Big Fat Family Christmas bored me to tears and I deleted it halfway through.  I was hoping it would be fun, like Big Fat Greek Wedding, but there was no fun, and no humor.  You can't name your movie after Big Fat Greek Wedding and then make a boring, humorless movie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

There were parts of it that bored me but there were also parts of it that I liked.  I loved some of the history they brought in.  I liked the leads, especially the female lead. 

But the her adult feelings about the big party make sense for a teenager but an adult?  That really lost me.  

I did love her singing in Cantonese.  

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

There were parts of it that bored me but there were also parts of it that I liked.  I loved some of the history they brought in.  I liked the leads, especially the female lead. 

But the her adult feelings about the big party make sense for a teenager but an adult?  That really lost me.  

I thought also thought that the photographer daughter was way too old to care what anyone thought about her parents' huge Christmas party tradition.  Especially since said tradition had raised a fortune for the community over the years.  She was way past the age where she should be ashamed and she should've been proud of them by now and their over-the-top fundraising party. It seemed a little odd that no one had ever explored the Changs and the party in the past and that someone hadn't already done a local interest story on them for TV or print news.  There's no way someone at the Chronicle hadn't done a story about it well before now.

I did like hearing about the history of Christianity in China/Chinatown since I was sorta wondering why a non-Christian Asian family would be so excited about Christmas, let alone singing 'O Holy Night'.  I liked the local flavor of Chinatown in SF, even if it was Hallmark Disneyfied pretty.

it was also great to see Tia Carrere who is still gorgeous,  Those cheekbones!

Edited by Notabug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Her O Holy Night was really good, and i have to applaud the actor for learning to sing that in Cantonese. Helps that they have established that her Cantonese is not good, since her pronunciation takes me out of the scene

Overall I'm glad to see another movie with Asian leads and family. About time we get more of that.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Notabug said:

I thought also thought that the photographer daughter was way too old to care what anyone thought about her parents' huge Christmas party tradition.  Especially since said tradition had raised a fortune for the community over the years.  She was way past the age where she should be ashamed and she should've been proud of them by now and their over-the-top fundraising party. It seemed a little odd that no one had ever explored the Changs and the party in the past and that someone hadn't already done a local interest story on them for TV or print news.  There's no way someone at the Chronicle hadn't done a story about it well before now.

I did like hearing about the history of Christianity in China/Chinatown since I was sorta wondering why a non-Christian Asian family would be so excited about Christmas, let alone singing 'O Holy Night'.  I liked the local flavor of Chinatown in SF, even if it was Hallmark Disneyfied pretty.

it was also great to see Tia Carrere who is still gorgeous,  Those cheekbones!

This movie was nonsensical in parts.

• How does she get paid by The Chronicle (wonder how much they had to pay the real Chronicle to use their name) if they think her surname Rose…? How does the editor not know her real surname?
  • What place serves a boba drink in a glass? 
  • They go to see Mrs. Lin in the morning, go on a boat ride, then boom! it’s evening!? 
  • Henry was carrying Liv’s shoes at one point so she walked the streets of SF barefoot?  Eeeew
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Sorry, I couldn’t stand the voice of the female lead. So high pitched and girly.  And I’m glad they explained about the male lead’s accent because without the explanation, it’d make more sense for him to be from Singapore, not Thailand with his accent.

I’m on Liv’s side regarding how much she participates in the family party. I don’t know why her parents keep pushing her to take on more roles than she wants to. If Liv did the bare minimum but went around taking all the credit, that’s one thing, but she’s been consistent in wanting to be in the background so if I were her parents, I’d leave her be. 

oh yeah, the sweet potato dumplings with marshmallow soy sauce sounds gross!  But gimme the spanakopita with Peking duck anytime! 

Edited by norcalgal
Adding more to the post

I thought A Big Fat Family Christmas was just okay. I thought it was pretty bland until the reveal of why Liv was reacting they way she was. I found that extremely relatable as someone who took a long time to realize how much racism I had internalized. I wish it had been better developed and less focused on a party but I still appreciated the effort. The 

• Love 4
On 11/27/2022 at 8:25 PM, FunnyFace said:

I looked it up too when I watched the movie today. I knew there were no black dancers in the Rockettes in the 50's. Heck, I learned that the first black Rockette was Jennifer Jones, a 20 year old who was the first black Rockette in 1987. Hallmark was being woke with this one.

1 minute ago, luvthepros said:

Hallmark was being woke with this one.

To me it’s the opposite of woke. Woke is being aware of social injustices. A truly woke movie would have centered a black dancer and made her struggles integral to the plot. This was tokenism. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 9