Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Wow, I never realized how lucky I am not to have hidden or rolling veins

35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Intramuscular or subQ injections don't bother me at all, but I have an actual phobia around IV injections/blood draws; I panic when I have to have it done (and will sometimes

If you don't mind the needles going in, what part exactly bothers you? The blood coming out? 

• Useful 1

I remember when I got my first cataract surgery and the nurse was trying to find a vein to put in the anesthetic and of course would not listen to me when I told her the best place to try.  I mean how could I possibly know, right?  The worst thing was lying there while she poked and poked and poked and knowing I'd have to lie there til she got it rather than get up and run screaming from the room as I wanted to do.  She kept insisting she did this all the time and she'd get it sooner or later.  Sigh. Finally the anesthesiologist came over and within 5 seconds it was done.  The nurse was very put out about that!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 3
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Melina22 said:

That sounds like my worst nightmare! 

Same.  The only good thing about it was after enduring that the surgery was a piece of cake!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

14 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

If you don't mind the needles going in, what part exactly bothers you?

I don't mind needles going into skin or muscle; it's only going into veins that I have the phobia about.

Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

The only good thing about it was after enduring that the surgery was a piece of cake!

Yeah, for me, having to have an IV line put in for fluids is the absolute worst part of having surgery.

• Like 4

Needles generally don't bother me at all, but the last time I was at my internal doc to have my physical and regular bloodwork, there was a nurse (or phlebotomist, I'm not sure) trainee who didn't get the needle in my vein correctly. Another nurse came over and stuck me in the other arm after digging around where the first needle was. Just stop; it hurts! There's one phlebotomist/nurse there who's amazing at what she does. She always hits the vein at the correct angle and it almost doesn't hurt at all. She's quick and kind just the best.

• Like 3

I broke my ankle once.  When getting the pin out, my Dr gave me two options for the surgery.  Awake or anesthesia.

I chose awake.  Everyone I mentioned this to asked me what kind of lunatic I was.

That option allowed me to drive myself home.  I didn't get what their deal was.

So I have to say that I think needles or blood draws don't bother me. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I have the same problem-I’ve had my blood drawn so many times even fisting and pumping my hand doesn’t help. But one of my oncologist nurses suggested something that helped me. Drinking lots of water before going to the doctor when I need blood drawn. It “plumps” the veins. But sometimes it doesn’t and I remember how they had to stick me from the back of my hand where the veins are visible. Thankfully I only had to suffer through that option once. It’s very rare that I’ve had someone stick me and I barely felt it. Hence me digging my nails into my palm of the opposite arm and looking away and holding my breath.

Blood draws have been from my hand for probably 20 years now.  I actually have become used to it, and rarely have any more discomfort than I would from traditional locations.  The water thing is a good tip, told me by my hemotologist's nurse.

• Like 1

And then of course, speaking of needles, there's the dentist. Of all the places I don't want them to stick in a needle, I don't want them to stick a needle in my mouth THE MOST! And if they're sticking a needle in my mouth, the place I least want them to stick it is in the roof of my mouth. I only had that once and I still cringe thinking about it. 

Fortunately my current dentist is excellent at making sure I don't actually see the needle, and so far the injections haven't been too painful. Once that part's over I find I can gradually relax. It helps that he gives me headphones and I can watch the TV above the chair. Wow, I'm spoiled! 

• Like 1

The worst blood draw I ever had was done by an obstetrician. He even dropped the vial.

• Surprise 6
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The worst blood draw I ever had was done by an obstetrician. He even dropped the vial.

For as basic and crucial to medicine the act is, it really is amazing how few are adept at it.  Thankfully for me, I remember the really good ones more than the really bad ones.

• Like 3

My pet peeve at this minute is my next door neighbors who are having some sort of party in their backyard that involves a bounce house and blaring honky tonk country music so loud I can hear it in every room of my house. I can only hope that since it started around 4:30pm it's not something that will last all night.

Edited by emma675
  • Like 3
  • Surprise 4
  • Sad 8

I too have shy veins and drawing blood is a hassle. I’ve tried drinking a lot of water before but it’s hasn’t helped. I usually just ask them to take it from the back of my hand, which seems to be easier. The worst experience I had involved the ER, 3 phlebotomists, and eventually an ultrasound machine. It was even less fun than it sounds!

• Sad 4

24 minutes ago, emma675 said:

My pet peeve at this minute is my next door neighbors who are having some sort of party in their backyard that involves a bounce house and blaring honky tonk country music so loud I can hear it in every room of my house. I can only hope that since it started around 4:30pm it's not something that will last all night.

Not only would the noise bother me - I loathe other people's noise 🙃 - but given where I am is in a strict lockdown I'd be furious about this!

• Like 8

Peeves:

1. Humble bragging. Either be proud and brag about it or STFU
2. Making being tired a competition. It's not. We're all exhausted. Mentally, physically, it's just a state of being right now and trying to one-up to be the most tired is just, well, tiresome.

Unrelated to those two things I'm realizing I have a friendship that is pretty one sided. I haven't seen this person in nearly a year. We're making lunch plans now that we're both vaccinated. I said "I'm excited to see you and catch up" and they responded "I can't wait to vent about this class I just finished". Um, no thanks. Looking back on our interactions before the pandemic I'm realizing that most of them were their bitching about their spouse, their family, their in-laws. I'll keep the lunch, whenever we get it scheduled but I'm in school too and I'm going to keep the time frame to an hour or so. Just enough time to eat and see if my memories are correct.

• Like 8
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I remember when I got my first cataract surgery and the nurse was trying to find a vein to put in the anesthetic and of course would not listen to me when I told her the best place to try.  I mean how could I possibly know, right?  The worst thing was lying there while she poked and poked and poked and knowing I'd have to lie there til she got it rather than get up and run screaming from the room as I wanted to do.  She kept insisting she did this all the time and she'd get it sooner or later.  Sigh. Finally the anesthesiologist came over and within 5 seconds it was done.  The nurse was very put out about that!

Same for me. Finding a good vein was worse than cataract surgery.

• Like 1

They can never find my veins. They miss three or four times and then they pull out the dreaded butterfly needle which is extremely painful.

====

Holy crap, I thought I was about to get sucked through my computer screen.  All of a sudden I get these massive notifications when someone likes what I post.  Damn those notifications are huge.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

That was going to be my pet peeve.  Can I assume that these new reaction notifications rivaling the StaPuf marshmallow man in Ghost Busters are a result of a glitch?  lol

This is me hoping.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 5

2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

That was going to be my pet peeve.  Can I assume that these new reaction notifications rivaling the StaPuf marshmallow man in Ghost Busters are a result of a glitch?  lol

This is me hoping.

Yes, it’s a glitch that they are working on trying to resolve. There is a thread in the Bugs forum for people to post what issues they are still having.

• Useful 5

I have to have blood drawn every year because of our health insurance plan, I have slippery veins, and now I just tell them to take it from the back of my hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

They can never find my veins. They miss three or four times and then they pull out the dreaded butterfly needle which is extremely painful.

====

Holy crap, I thought I was about to get sucked through my computer screen.  All of a sudden I get these massive notifications when someone likes what I post.  Damn those notifications are huge.

Yes.

Three hours in and the party has moved into hard core rap/hip hop. Keep in mind this is a group of middle aged white people with their small children in tow. I like Post Malone as much as anyone but I don't think the uncensored version of "Rockstar" is appropriate for 10 year olds to dance to.

• Surprise 6
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I like Post Malone as much as anyone but I don't think the uncensored version of "Rockstar" is appropriate for 10 year olds to dance to.

I suggest you counter with this version of Rockstar.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 5

8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I suggest you counter with this version of Rockstar.

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! The original is one of my guilty pleasures because it's insanely catchy but this is even better. 

(I say that now but I'll probably be cursing you at 4 am when it's still playing in my head. 😁

Is anyone else having trouble seeing posters' names? I have something that blocks them (unless the name is long, like mine). Where do I go, on this site, to get help?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! The original is one of my guilty pleasures because it's insanely catchy but this is even better. 

(I say that now but I'll probably be cursing you at 4 am when it's still playing in my head. 😁

Everybody got a rum dealer on speed dial. 🤣I enjoy me some Nickelback and I'm not afraid to admit it. I can't believe All The Right Reasons turned 15.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, rcc said:

I have the same phobia and the same problem veins. Mine are rolling veins and I feel lucky when they can draw blood the first time.

Ah yes, my rolling veins always give me a good time.

5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But one of my oncologist nurses suggested something that helped me. Drinking lots of water before going to the doctor when I need blood drawn. It “plumps” the veins. 

I was told this too, so I always chug a couple of glasses of water before getting blood drawn.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, emma675 said:

I can sympathize with you so much on this.  I know I reported here (and elsewhere) a few times about my neighbors who moved into the house next door about four years ago. She was quiet and stayed in the house with their new baby. He would go outside and sit on the screened back porch or play with their two toddlers in the backyard and crank up the country rock music.  Or, they would have people over and blast the music. It was so loud that my dishes were dancing in the cabinets and I couldn't hear the TV.  When I would complain he would apologize and turn it down but a week or so later it would be the same.  He was very nice about it. Nice, but clueless.  I mean, if it was too loud a week ago, why wouldn't you think it was too loud today?  It had gotten to the point where I dreaded coming home from work because I never knew what was going to happen. Anyway, she booted him out a couple of years ago, and even though I noticed that he's moved back in two or three times, it never lasts and I haven't seen him since Christmas.  And, it's been blessedly quiet. She's very nice and has even had a couple of cookouts.  She proved that you can have what looks like a very successful party without the loud music. I hope that your ordeal didn't last too long.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Also, when I warn them my veins "hide" and they'll have a hard time (which, of course, makes my situation worse by prolonging it), they patronize me with "I can find a vein in anyone", and 20 minutes later I'm surrounded by a team of four taking turns trying and failing as I struggle to control my breathing, I would like an acknowledgment that I do, in fact, know my body better than they do.

I have the same problem, and I have never ever had blood drawn that I didn't develop a hematoma afterwards.  And all phlebotomists think they'll be the one not to leave me with a hematoma, but nope.  Always.  I had dental surgery once that required general anesthesia.  They started with nitrous oxide (yay!), then started to try to find a vein for the general.  The poor girl tried two different locations with a somewhat large-is needle before I suggested a smaller bore.  She seemed surprised that I even knew needle sizes, but she switched needles and went to a third location (the back of my hand on the same arm) before finally finding a vein.  Fortunately, the nitrous had kicked in, so I didn't much care at the time. 

And to go along with @emma675's peeve -- the fireworks have started in my neighborhood again.  This past Thursday, someone set off a really loud one.  I guess they were celebrating Earth Day?

• Like 3

Oh my goodness, you know what’s really hard to do when you now work from home? A f’ing clothing purge! You would think that might make it easier, but nope—at least not in my case! So my peeve today is “why the HELL did I start this project?!” Actually, that is a frequent peeve over here.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, you know what’s really hard to do when you now work from home? A f’ing clothing purge! You would think that might make it easier, but nope—at least not in my case! So my peeve today is “why the HELL did I start this project?!” Actually, that is a frequent peeve over here.

I feel ya there. I typically do a seasonal purge of clothing and shoes I haven't worn in a year. Except this past year was spent at home and I can't bring myself to purge based on that criteria. I did a small purge based on the "ok these clothes are a little to meh for even the at home wardrobe" and tossed a couple shirts with tiny holes in them, some winter fluffy socks that had seen better days and I didn't wear last winter and rotated a few new t-shirts that don't look the greatest for errand running into the at home wardrobe pile.

My current peeve is people who don't break down boxes before putting them in the recycle bin and people who put things that can be recycled, like boxes, into the trash compactor. I may have just gotten back from taking the trash and recycling out.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Right?!  I keep starting then stopping clean out. Since I haven’t worn most of the clothes for over a year, I’m afraid I will get rid of things and then wish I hadn’t. I know I’m going to have to go clothes shopping before I go back into the office, and am dreading the process. Plus, I’m at a new company and have no idea what to expect. I’ve only seen my colleagues on video, wearing t-shirts and hoodies. I doubt it’s that casual in the office, but I wonder if it will be more casual post pandemic than it used to be. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

doubt it’s that casual in the office, but I wonder if it will be more casual post pandemic than it used to be. 

I'm sure you're right. At this point even wearing shoes is starting to feel strange. It's hard to picture people willingly going from working in pj's, to putting on tight skirts, bras, heels and three piece suits. 

The other day I was watching a lot of footage of people in about 1900. The clothes were so elaborate and uncomfortable looking and I thought about what they'd think of how comfortably we dress now. But I bet people take comfort to a whole new level post-pandemic. (If only to accommodate the weight gain!) 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My current peeve is people who don't break down boxes before putting them in the recycle bin and people who put things that can be recycled, like boxes, into the trash compactor. I may have just gotten back from taking the trash and recycling out.

I’ll echo this and add how annoying it is to open the door to the recycling shed to find someone has left a bag of recycling right inside the door where people need to step to leave their stuff instead of depositing the contents into the bins. Then there are the types who can’t push their unbroken down boxes in further to create space that the rest of us need to get inside.  I don’t know what people are buying that come in these large boxes but this has been happening over and over this past year.  Then there’s the weird non recyclable stuff in the recycling shed like brake rotors and a Barbie Dream House.  Ugh. 

• Like 3

I find I'm very unmotivated to recycle after seeing so many shows about how a lot of the time, our recycling ends up in landfill or moldering in a giant mountain in some third world country. It's discouraging. (Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but this is the Pet Peeve thread after all.) 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Yeah--clearly the "if you haven't worn it in a year" guideline just can't apply here! A lot of my stuff is vintage and it makes me so happy to have it, but even if things eventually go back to normal as far as weekends, it still would take me forever to find opportunities to wear it all now that I work at home. But if I ditch it, it's not like I can just find it again! Trying the following approaches: "group together similar-looking things and keep the favorite" and "if it's hard to pick appropriate shoes (for whatever reason), maybe it goes."

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My rule is each time I purchase an article of clothing, something in my closet has to go.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I've posted earlier about a  Youtube declutterer I've been watching.  She advocates working backwards:  Rather than go through every item and decide whether to keep it, decide "I need X number of short sleeve tops", then pick your X favourite short sleeve tops that fit and are in good condition, then get rid of the rest.  "I need Y number of jeans", and so on.  

• Like 9

I’ve come to terms that I operate on “like” and not “need” — though I have managed in recent years* to remember that “like” is not the same as “like for me”; I’m a jeans-and-T-shirt and vintage/retro person with a bit of goth thrown in, so while I may like something outside of those (say, something from Loft or the Gap), odds are it will sit there unworn. Still, I don’t foresee ever being the girl who has only the necessities, clothing wise. My goal is merely to have a more manageable closet.

*Plus, I haven’t clothing shopped much this year (except for loungy stuff!); a lot of the fun in shopping for vintage is being actually at the stores and flea markets.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

Peeve of the week. We sometimes watch Cozi TV. They have The office, Frasier and other older shows. But man alive, it's LOUD. It doesn't matter which device it's blaring. And commercials are unbearable. Yikes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

so while I may like something outside of those (say, something from Loft or the Gap), odds are it will sit there unworn.

I feel you so much there. I love the idea of high heels and the concept of wearing a cute sundress and sandals. But in reality, I'd break my neck in heel that is too high or too thin and I hate wearing dresses. I'm very much a "you'll pry my jeans, flannels, hoodies and docs out of my cold dead hands" 90s girl. Sure, I can get dressed up for an occasion but I've come to accept that I need to wear cute flats (my back, feet and neck thank me) and have finally stopped buying heels I'll never, ever wear, even when I have the opportunity.

This may have just given me the motivation to box up the last pair of dressy heels, that were last worn to a wedding and I regret it every minute of the night, and a super cute pair of platform sandals, that were last worn long before I moved to GA.

So while this is the peeve thread, I would like to thank you for that umph.

My other clothing related peeve is going to buy the exact same thing I've had for years, same brand, same size, same style name and it does NOT fit the same.

• Like 5

I've tried to sign up for so many food delivery services, go through all the questions  to fill out the form and when they ask for my info surprise they don't deliver to my  area!! Give me an option at the beginning to see if you serve me!

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

On 4/24/2021 at 6:18 PM, emma675 said:

The family that rented the house next to mine had young children who did nothing but scream at an ear piercing level the entire time they were in their yard. They were a nice family but it's jolting to be sitting in my living room and hearing a scream that sounds like someone is getting murdered for an hour straight. They moved last fall and no one has moved in since so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have a peaceful summer. 

21 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

My rule is each time I purchase an article of clothing, something in my closet has to go.

This has been my motto as well, it not only keeps me from "over shopping", it also helps me keep my closet under control. 

20 hours ago, Quof said:

I've posted earlier about a  Youtube declutterer I've been watching.  She advocates working backwards:  Rather than go through every item and decide whether to keep it, decide "I need X number of short sleeve tops", then pick your X favourite short sleeve tops that fit and are in good condition, then get rid of the rest.  "I need Y number of jeans", and so on.  

I like this idea even better! 

• Like 3

Pet peeve today is that the Covid thread has been closed.  I really appreciated having a place to "meet" and talk about things that were happening.  I guess it got too big?

• Like 4
  • Surprise 3

On 4/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, Mittengirl said:

I have the same problem, except I faint when having blood drawn.  I know that the small amount of blood drawn is not enough to cause a physical reaction, but I still faint, unless I can lie down.  Yet when I mention this, I am always told that I will be fine, they are very good at what they do.  Then shortly after the needle goes in, I faint.  Is it purely a psychological issue? Yes, of course.  But it happens every damn time, so don’t try and tell me it won’t because you have some magical powers.  It has been an issue since I was about 7, so I know what I am talking about.  Just let me lie down, damn it!

I fainted once over 20 yrs ago when someone who was inexperienced doing a blood draw. She dug the needle  in my arm there it was I saw black and I heard someone call out for the smelling salts.😡

• Sad 2

My worst injection experience was when an inexperienced (I assume) nurse soaked the injection site with rubbing alcohol (or whatever they use!) then immediately jabbed the needle in without giving it even a second to dry. I felt like my arm was on fire! If it happened now I would say something, but I was young and didn't want to be rude. (!) 

• Surprise 1

I'm fine with blood being drawn (which is good since I have to do labs regularly), but I've learned I can't watch the needle going in. The poor nurse who was doing my blood draw when I learned this probably had to buy new shoes after I threw up all over her Nikes. I'm sure I'm her "story" now when she's trying to reassure patients, lol.

Edited by emma675
  • Surprise 1

5 hours ago, BexKeps said:

The family that rented the house next to mine had young children who did nothing but scream at an ear piercing level the entire time they were in their yard. They were a nice family but it's jolting to be sitting in my living room and hearing a scream that sounds like someone is getting murdered for an hour straight. They moved last fall and no one has moved in since so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have a peaceful summer. 

My neighbor (the one that now lives there without the country-rock-blasting ex), has three kids and they run around in the backyard occasionally yelling, but I've never heard the ear-piercing screams, which is good.  I never had a problem with the kids playing outside and doing some yelling and arguing (even when they were having a birthday party or cookout and there were additional kids around).  And 'yard work' noise is okay (lawnmowers, weed eaters, etc.) as long as it's not at the crack of dawn. It was only the music.  

• Like 2

The snooze button on my alarm clock broke.

The snooze button is very important to my morning routine. 

• Laugh 8

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.