Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I know people who, ever since the pandemic happened. have had their groceries delivered.  If I didn't have groceries to do and prescriptions to pick up I'd never go anywhere!

Me too.  CVS is our second home.  Everyday, I get the text “your prescription is ready”, haha.  Sucks to be old.  I even got my two Moderna shots there.  My husband knows all the pharmacists by name.

• Love 2

I am basically a hermit, have been for years. The pandemic has made it terrifying for me to even go out at all. I literally have panic attacks before I have to go out to grocery shop or go pick up my mail at the PO. I live in the boonies and grocery delivery is not a thing available.

I have medical issues that have kept me from getting the vax. I see my pcp in July to see if it is safe for me. Maybe I will  feel safer after I can have the vaccination...

8 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Me too.  CVS is our second home.  Everyday, I get the text “your prescription is ready”, haha.  Sucks to be old.  I even got my two Moderna shots there.  My husband knows all the pharmacists by name.

6 hours ago, ABay said:

CVS will mail prescriptions, bless them. If I never had to enter any store again, I wouldn't miss it.

Doesn't CVS near you deliver prescriptions? Ours does.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I am basically a hermit, have been for years. The pandemic has made it terrifying for me to even go out at all. I literally have panic attacks before I have to go out to grocery shop or go pick up my mail at the PO. I live in the boonies and grocery delivery is not a thing available.

I have medical issues that have kept me from getting the vax. I see my pcp in July to see if it is safe for me. Maybe I will  feel safer after I can have the vaccination...

Surely you have someone to help you?  No delivery?  Grandchildren?  It’s hard when you have medical issues.  Thank goodness we all have the t.v. and these threads to keep us fairly sane.  Even if you get at least one vax, it would be a big help.  I wish all the best for you.  Things will get better. 😀

• Love 6

Ok .. it’s May and the fights start in my house over the air conditioning.  For two days now, I’ve had a hot face.  The temp in my house was 80.  I like air .. husband always cold.  I switched to air and put it on 73.  Five minutes pass and like clockwork, he comes running out and complains he’s cold.  I told him to sleep outside in the garden.  I also screamed if he mentions the air one more time I’m calling the divorce lawyer.  Same crap every year.  Now he’s sitting with a big blanket on.  This is a 6 foot guy who jumped out of planes, but is afraid of a little air on his face.

• LOL 7
17 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

To Mrs. Magoo next door riding around on your lawnmower running over who knows what while you drive the damn thing at a too high rate of speed to keep it under control,  stop screaming as your mower makes all sorts of loud noises.  Shut the damn thing off and calm your ass down.  The noise will stop when the mower is off.   You ran over something you shouldn't have, because you weren't paying attention to what the hell you were doing.  Buy a push mower and use that and get some damn exercise in the process.   You clearly can't control yourself when riding around on a riding mower. 

I had a hard time picking a reaction button, between "surprised" and "funny". Picked funny.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve:  stop telling me you don't like cottage cheese in lasagna and that it's not authentic. I Do Not Care.  That's how my Mom made it and that's how her Mom made it and i already feel guilty enough because I use the no boil noodles (shh don't tell my Nana) .  And further why do people care so much about stuff like this?  If I'm not expecting you to cook it OR eat it what's your problem?

Some people think it's bastardization/appropriation.  A woman I've known since we were kids got really catty with me a few months back regarding Chinese almond cookies.  She said they contain lard as it's the "traditional" ingredient and after asking her for the recipe, I asked whether I could substitute the lard with butter or vegan "butter" on 1:1 ratio.  She got upset that I would even ask that.  It's fine to note that lard is the traditional ingredient, but what if one doesn't like lard (I'm weird about pork/pig-related products unless it's prosciutto) or is dairy-free?  I'm the kind of person known to use a lot of alternatives in food.  I recently made so many changes to dan dan mien (it's very Middle Eastern inspired, subbing peanut butter/sesame paste with almond butter and hummus) that I had to call it Cin Cin (my Chinese name) mien just to avoid criticism that I was "appropriating."  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Some people think it's bastardization/appropriation.  A woman I've known since we were kids got really catty with me a few months back regarding Chinese almond cookies.  She said they contain lard as it's the "traditional" ingredient and after asking her for the recipe, I asked whether I could substitute the lard with butter or vegan "butter" on 1:1 ratio.  She got upset that I would even ask that.  It's fine to note that lard is the traditional ingredient, but what if one doesn't like lard (I'm weird about pork/pig-related products unless it's prosciutto) or is dairy-free?  I'm the kind of person known to use a lot of alternatives in food.  I recently made so many changes to dan dan mien (it's very Middle Eastern inspired, subbing peanut butter/sesame paste with almond butter and hummus) that I had to call it Cin Cin (my Chinese name) mien just to avoid criticism that I was "appropriating."  

It’s not “appropriating” to prepare and eat your food the way you like it or the way dietary restrictions dictate. It’s a little different if one is cooking for/owns a restaurant or food product business ant touts their dishes as “authentic “, I guess. However, if you are cooking in your own home, do it the way you like!

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Adiba said:

It’s not “appropriating” to prepare and eat your food the way you like it or the way dietary restrictions dictate. It’s a little different if one is cooking for/owns a restaurant or food product business ant touts their dishes as “authentic “, I guess. However, if you are cooking in your own home, do it the way you like!

Well, if it's "authentic" in a fusion sense, then that should be fine.  And since I posted the recipe for Cin Cin mien on my blog, it just better/more PC to change the name.  I DID do the PC thing and acknowledge that it was inspired by dan dan mien (I didn't say that the Cantonese pronunciation is actually dam dam mien - porter's noodles.  Seriously, that makes zero sense.  You need utensils to eat noodles.  If I was working as a porter, why would I even want to bring chopsticks with me?  Bao makes more sense).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

To Mrs. Magoo next door riding around on your lawnmower running over who knows what while you drive the damn thing at a too high rate of speed to keep it under control,  stop screaming as your mower makes all sorts of loud noises.  Shut the damn thing off and calm your ass down.  The noise will stop when the mower is off.   You ran over something you shouldn't have, because you weren't paying attention to what the hell you were doing.  Buy a push mower and use that and get some damn exercise in the process.   You clearly can't control yourself when riding around on a riding mower. 

Maybe getting ready for the Daytona 500 next year.

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Ok .. it’s May and the fights start in my house over the air conditioning.  For two days now, I’ve had a hot face.  The temp in my house was 80.  I like air .. husband always cold.  I switched to air and put it on 73.  Five minutes pass and like clockwork, he comes running out and complains he’s cold.  I told him to sleep outside in the garden.  I also screamed if he mentions the air one more time I’m calling the divorce lawyer.  Same crap every year.  Now he’s sitting with a big blanket on.  This is a 6 foot guy who jumped out of planes, but is afraid of a little air on his face.

We eventually compromised at 74 degrees for ac and 70 for heat but my husband will turn it down lower.  He will always win the battle of the thermostat because he gets sick when he is too hot.  I’ve accumulated a wardrobe of down, wool, and thermal jackets to wear in the house year round AND keep three quilts around me because I can never get warm.  There are days like today when I shed my layers down to sweater and jeans and sit out in the sun to absorb the warmth!  (He took over the brightest room which is also the warmest, I’m stuck in the dark and cooler living room BUT I have the good TV!)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I’ve been thinking.  Isn’t there some kind of service, being you have health problems and can’t get out, that can pick you up and take you to a store, doctors, drug stores?  I don’t know what state you are in, but here in N.Y. they have a service for this sort of thing when it’s hard for a person to get out.  If that helps.  It just feels very hard for you to navigate alone.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ABay said:

Yes, that's what I was saying--they will mail them.

By delivery I mean that someone in a car will drive to your house & deliver the prescription, like DoorDash or Postmates. I don't think my CVS mails prescriptions.

4 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

We eventually compromised at 74 degrees for ac and 70 for heat but my husband will turn it down lower.  He will always win the battle of the thermostat because he gets sick when he is too hot.  I’ve accumulated a wardrobe of down, wool, and thermal jackets to wear in the house year round AND keep three quilts around me because I can never get warm.  There are days like today when I shed my layers down to sweater and jeans and sit out in the sun to absorb the warmth!  (He took over the brightest room which is also the warmest, I’m stuck in the dark and cooler living room BUT I have the good TV!)

Haha .. I have it on 75 to shut him up.  I stay in the living room on the sofa with the big t.v., and he’s on the bed with the same big tv watching the golf.  About 9 pm, we switch.  I go to sleep, and he watches until about 2 am, then comes in the bed or falls asleep on the sofa.  But, tonight, we watch 90 Day Fiance together.  That’s about the only show we have in common.

• Love 2

Another reason I'm glad to live alone - no arguing over the thermostat.  It's usually at 68 for the heat kicking in and 80 for the AC kicking in, but sometimes 70 and 78, respectively, if I'm in a mood.  I could deal with a little variation on heat (although I'd probably just grumble to put on socks and a sweater for Pete's sake), but anyone turning the air on at a cooler temp than that would really tick me off.  Thankfully, my cat doesn't complain.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Another reason I'm glad to live alone - no arguing over the thermostat.  It's usually at 68 for the heat kicking in and 80 for the AC kicking in, but sometimes 70 and 78, respectively, if I'm in a mood.  I could deal with a little variation on heat (although I'd probably just grumble to put on socks and a sweater for Pete's sake), but anyone turning the air on at a cooler temp than that would really tick me off.  Thankfully, my cat doesn't complain.

We have some of those little white radiator things and our cat likes to sleep next to them all year round. We tell him "Hey, you know that isn't on right?" He just looks at us.

• LOL 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, GaT said:

By delivery I mean that someone in a car will drive to your house & deliver the prescription, like DoorDash or Postmates. I don't think my CVS mails prescriptions.

The mail-order division of CVS is called CVS Caremark. It's how I get all my maintenance medications. They send an email when I'm due for a refill and I can elect to have it filled or not, and also email if they need a refill from the doctor. I know some people have not had a great experience with mail-order pharmacies but I have zero complaints.

https://www.caremark.com/

Costco also has a mail-order pharmacy. I suspect Rite Aid and Walgreens do, too.
https://www.costco.com/home-delivery

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

The mail-order division of CVS is called CVS Caremark. It's how I get all my maintenance medications. They send an email when I'm due for a refill and I can elect to have it filled or not, and also email if they need a refill from the doctor. I know some people have not had a great experience with mail-order pharmacies but I have zero complaints.

https://www.caremark.com/

Costco also has a mail-order pharmacy. I suspect Rite Aid and Walgreens do, too.
https://www.costco.com/home-delivery

Ah, yes, I'm familiar with Caremark, I believe that it's actually through your insurance. I think, or maybe not. 😆

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, GaT said:

Ah, yes, I'm familiar with Caremark, I believe that it's actually through your insurance. I think, or maybe not. 😆

It's certainly the "preferred" way many insurance carriers want people to get their prescriptions but it's not limited to those carriers. If you get your prescriptions filled at CVS you should be able to get them filled through their mail order system.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Surely you have someone to help you?  No delivery?  Grandchildren?  It’s hard when you have medical issues.  Thank goodness we all have the t.v. and these threads to keep us fairly sane.  Even if you get at least one vax, it would be a big help.  I wish all the best for you.  Things will get better. 😀

Thanks! Unfortunately my family is all in CA, I'm in MT in a very rural area. My DD and I check in every day but as far as shopping etc, I'm on my own. Thank goodness for Amazon through most of this. I have done a ton of shopping there during this pandemic. Anything that gets me through the store faster.

Hopefully after I see my pcp in July I will be able to get the vax and feel safer about going out.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Today's peeve:  stop telling me you don't like cottage cheese in lasagna and that it's not authentic. I Do Not Care.  That's how my Mom made it and that's how her Mom made it and i already feel guilty enough because I use the no boil noodles (shh don't tell my Nana) .  And further why do people care so much about stuff like this?  If I'm not expecting you to cook it OR eat it what's your problem?

You haven't provided the context, but I assume this argument took place on an online cooking board, made up of people you have never and will never meet in real life?  Of course you don't have to feel bad about making your family comfort food the way your Mom made it, but I'm not surprised you got some pushback.  That's par for the course on a cooking message board.

Ten, hell more than ten years ago then Attorney General Andrew Cuomo's girlfriend Sandra Lee (yes, THAT Sandra Lee, of Food Network fame/infamy) was widely mocked in the press after Andrew's Italian-American MOTHER questioned her cottage-cheese-and-tomato-soup lasagna:

https://gothamist.com/food/cuomos-mom-trashes-his-gf-sandra-lees-lasagna

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

You haven't provided the context, but I assume this argument took place on an online cooking board, made up of people you have never and will never meet in real life?  Of course you don't have to feel bad about making your family comfort food the way your Mom made it, but I'm not surprised you got some pushback.  That's par for the course on a cooking message board.

Ten, hell more than ten years ago then Attorney General Andrew Cuomo's girlfriend Sandra Lee (yes, THAT Sandra Lee, of Food Network fame/infamy) was widely mocked in the press after Andrew's Italian-American MOTHER questioned her cottage-cheese-and-tomato-soup lasagna:

https://gothamist.com/food/cuomos-mom-trashes-his-gf-sandra-lees-lasagna

And it’s worse with people trying to be “woke” and PC.  I make a lot of foods from my heritage “my say” (ie not authentic) not because of the lack of ingredients or because I feel I have to whitewash it, but because I was never taught - neither my grandmother nor my mom cook well or cook at all (in that order).  And I feel inauthentic learning from others if I want to make it a “family recipe.”  I have a private blog I update once in a blue moon that no one has access to other than me.  It includes recipes which I will pass on to my son when he turns 18 and is given access.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Apparently, you don’t have high blood pressure.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Hahahahaha, this is my mom! Growing up it was a running joke to see what she would run over on the mower, she has a lead foot on that thing and apparently couldn't see a small tree stump/tonka truck/plastic garden gnome so it all got shredded. I don't know how many blades my dad had to replace because of her excuse "I never saw it!" It got so my dad stopped planting trees because she would mow over them repeatedly, even after he'd mark them with stakes. And the stakes got mowed as well. 

On 5/23/2021 at 11:17 AM, Hangin Out said:

I like air .. husband always cold.  I switched to air and put it on 73.  Five minutes pass and like clockwork, he comes running out and complains he’s cold.

OMG, this is starting at my house. I run warm anyway, add in the beginning of menopause and I am sweating constantly. And if I'm doing housework it triples. I like the house at a cool 69. He thinks it should be 72, as he's sitting in his chair watching baseball. I throw a blanket at him and tell him either get up and help me and see how "cold" it is or put a blanket on and shut it. 

Don't even get me started on needing a fan on me all night. Again, I throw a blanket over him and tell him to thank his lucky stars he doesn't wake up in a pool of sweat 3 or 4 times a night. 

• Love 3

Amen! It's always thermostat wars at my house. I have a normal body temp and no hot flashes anymore (Thank God!) but the hubs is cold all the time. He was really obese for a long time, got on a program and lost a bunch of weight but its like his internal thermostat never re-set itself. It got really warm here for a few days and I would come home and he would have the damn heat on! He hates to open a window for some fresh air, and bitches all the time about me having a fan on at night so I can sleep. Sigh. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

Hahahahaha, this is my mom! Growing up it was a running joke to see what she would run over on the mower, she has a lead foot on that thing and apparently couldn't see a small tree stump/tonka truck/plastic garden gnome so it all got shredded. I don't know how many blades my dad had to replace because of her excuse "I never saw it!" It got so my dad stopped planting trees because she would mow over them repeatedly, even after he'd mark them with stakes. And the stakes got mowed as well. 

OMG, this is starting at my house. I run warm anyway, add in the beginning of menopause and I am sweating constantly. And if I'm doing housework it triples. I like the house at a cool 69. He thinks it should be 72, as he's sitting in his chair watching baseball. I throw a blanket at him and tell him either get up and help me and see how "cold" it is or put a blanket on and shut it. 

Don't even get me started on needing a fan on me all night. Again, I throw a blanket over him and tell him to thank his lucky stars he doesn't wake up in a pool of sweat 3 or 4 times a night. 

Haha, thank you.  I was boiling ravioli steaming up the kitchen while doing laundry.  He was lying down watching golf all weekend.  He knows I have high blood pressure and run hot.  Same thing, different year.  Even in the car, the ac has to be on low.  Now we have duel ac in the car.  I do what I want.  They just don’t understand.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Maisiesmom said:

Amen! It's always thermostat wars at my house. I have a normal body temp and no hot flashes anymore (Thank God!) but the hubs is cold all the time. He was really obese for a long time, got on a program and lost a bunch of weight but its like his internal thermostat never re-set itself. It got really warm here for a few days and I would come home and he would have the damn heat on! He hates to open a window for some fresh air, and bitches all the time about me having a fan on at night so I can sleep. Sigh. 

I’m laughing.  I always say “every man should have one period and one baby the natural way like I did.  They would all be dead.  They could never take it.  Why are they always cold?  I don’t get it.  Mine went to bed with flannel pjs and wool socks and a quilt.  I slept with a light nitegown, no covers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

I slept with a light nitegown, no covers.

I sleep in a t-shirt and undies, with one sheet and a very thin blanket. The blanket is supposed to be cooling and supposedly doesn't hold body heat. It's made out of bamboo product, I tell you I still wake up in a sweat and throw them all off.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

I’m laughing.  I always say “every man should have one period and one baby the natural way like I did.  They would all be dead.  They could never take it.  Why are they always cold?  I don’t get it.  Mine went to bed with flannel pjs and wool socks and a quilt.  I slept with a light nitegown, no covers.

I have the opposite problem. My DH is always hot and I'm the one who is freezing. Except in the summer, then I'm the one moaning about being hot and he's perfectly comfortable. Damn Mediterraneans.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Apparently, you don’t have high blood pressure.

I do, actually (which reminds me I forgot to take my pill today - thank you!).  I run warm, but I'm happy with ceiling fans and maybe open windows (depending on outdoor temperature) until it gets above 80 degrees in the house.  Pre-menopause hasn't included hot flashes or night sweats yet, though, so I'm sure all the energy I've saved by not cranking the AC will be gobbled up once I get into the real thing; I remember my dad and I under afghans as my mom had the windows open and fan going in February.  But, again, that will be a reminder I love living alone - no one arguing with me over my thermostat choices.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Even in the car, the ac has to be on low.  Now we have duel ac in the car.  I do what I want.  They just don’t understand.

Dual ac in the car only works when the driver doesn’t insist that the extra-cold air shouldn’t be blowing directly AT him but rather directed to the windscreen.  When he does that raising the temp on my side doesn’t help,  because after all the purpose of that setting is to “clear” the windows uniformly!  The vents directed at the side window have no way to close them off so I keep a heavy fleece jacket in the car.  Once again I know I can never win that war!

As a lifelong yoyo dieter I have the metabolism of a slug so I am both fat and constantly freezing! 

• Love 2
On 5/21/2021 at 11:20 PM, bilgistic said:

I didn't realize *my* peeves weren't the acceptable kind to discuss here. You don't have to report me; I'll take a self-imposed break.

Of course your pet peeves are acceptable here. They are Pet Peeves. I sure hope that I didn’t make a comment that made you feel your comment was invalid. It was your experience and your frustration

• Love 2
On 5/23/2021 at 3:53 PM, Bastet said:

OMG. I have an extremely thrifty husband and we live in a two story house (where the top floor did not cool off). I started having the worst hot flashes imaginable when I was 47. I told my husband that I was sweating all night and hadn’t had a good night’s sleep and we need to turn the thermostat down. Three days later, I asked him if he had turned the thermostat down ,of course he had.

I told him, you can either turn that thermostat way down and live with a higher energy bill or years or you can live with a miserable wife operating on no sleep - he wisely decided that a higher energy bill was a wise choice.

Now I tend to get chilly, he never thought that would happen.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Stats Queen said:

Of course your pet peeves are acceptable here. They are Pet Peeves. I sure hope that I didn’t make a comment that made you feel your comment was invalid. It was your experience and your frustration

I don't read every post here, but honestly I've felt this before. Sometimes you post a pet peeve, and someone judges you for finding that a pet peeve. It's like people forget a pet peeve isn't a serious thing that gets you worked up, it's just something you find annoying.   

I'll make that a pet peeve-pet peeve shaming! lol

• Love 12
On 5/24/2021 at 2:25 PM, Hangin Out said:

And they should have one horrible hot flash..l

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

When it comes to group gifting/flowers, I don't at all mind covering for others and sharing credit even if everything was 100% me, but it's a pet peeve when the recipient thinks you had little to nothing to do with it. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I went through 5 years of hot flashes and I've never used my AC so much.  Prior to that, it had to be in the mid-90s with high humidity before I would even think of turning it on.  The great thing about living in Wisconsin was the several months of the year when I could step outside for a few minutes or open my car window while driving.  In January when it's 18 degrees, that's an instant cure for a hot flash.  In the winter my heat was set at 64 (down to 62 at night) and in the summer I ran my AC at about 74 degrees, plus I used a fan at night.  In my office with windows that don't open, I had a fan running all day, every day. 

What really got me was how amusing so many people found my discomfort.  Women and their wacky hormones, amirite?  This was so much more than a peeve; it was ENRAGING.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

What really got me was how amusing so many people found my discomfort.  Women and their wacky hormones, amirite?  This was so much more than a peeve; it was ENRAGING. 

I once accidentally ingested a niacin pill, and what resulted was equivalent to an extreme hot flash.  Holy hell; from the neck up felt at least ten degrees hotter than the rest of me, and I was truly miserable for the time it took to work its way out of my system. 

I've had horrible periods (thanks to endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and uterine fibroids) and expect a horrible menopause.  I will treat any fool who finds my menopausal misery amusing the same way I've dealt with the "it's just cramps" idiots all these years - they won't find it pretty.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I once accidentally ingested a niacin pill, and what resulted was equivalent to an extreme hot flash.  Holy hell; from the neck up felt at least ten degrees hotter than the rest of me, and I was truly miserable for the time it took to work its way out of my system. 

I've had horrible periods (thanks to endometriosis, ovarian cysts, and uterine fibroids) and expect a horrible menopause.  I will treat any fool who finds my menopausal misery amusing the same way I've dealt with the "it's just cramps" idiots all these years - they won't find it pretty.

Omg, I was taking them because I heard they could help with lowering cholesterol, worst mistake of my life. Extreme hot flashes, face turning bright red, it was horrible. 

17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

When it comes to group gifting/flowers, I don't at all mind covering for others and sharing credit even if everything was 100% me, but it's a pet peeve when the recipient thinks you had little to nothing to do with it

I hear ya. I had a coworker take credit for a gift I arranged, ordered and set up. Although I had discussed it with this coworker, and she paid her share, it was my idea and I did the work. Hearing her accept all the thank you's and not saying "BexKeps did all the work, I just signed the card." was gut wrenching. Never again.

• Love 3

Today's peeve: keyboards. I'm using 4 different keyboards depending on which desk I'm at and this one in particular keeps missing strikes. The one on the tablet is even worse. I posted a comment in the Jeopardy forum yesterday and didn't catch that several words were missing until this morning. I know I typed them.

• Love 2

Today's peeve is people who ask a question that is clearly answered in the instructions for WhateverItWas, and then when you give them the answer by literally copying and pasting from the instructions, and telling them "this is an excerpt from the instructions", they respond with something like "you're amazing!" I am not amazing. I just check the instructions for the thing I'm trying to use.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I will treat any fool who finds my menopausal misery amusing the same way I've dealt with the "it's just cramps" idiots all these years - they won't find it pretty.

I almost shouted at a TV character (or at least the writers who put the words in his mouth) when he made some throwaway comment about his wife's "terrible menstrual cramps" even though we had just seen her and she was absolutely fine.  What the hell do they think "terrible menstrual cramps" actually are if they think someone experiencing them is just going about their business as if nothing is wrong??

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Today's peeve is people who ask a question that is clearly answered in the instructions for WhateverItWas, and then when you give them the answer by literally copying and pasting from the instructions, and telling them "this is an excerpt from the instructions", they respond with something like "you're amazing!" I am not amazing. I just check the instructions for the thing I'm trying to use.

I usually just say “RTFM”. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

That experience with the niacin pill is not "equivalent to an extreme hot flash", at least in my experience, it is "equivalent to a hot flash"....and when anyone questions how bad could it really be, I just hand them a niacin tab and tell them to "check it out".

I had exactly your same experience with periods (minus the cysts) from age 10-1/2 on and finally had a full hysterectomy (had them take *everything* out) at age 50, which then brought on early menopause. I'm 65 now so its been 15 years of the hot flashes (fortunately no other symptoms - no mood swings, etc.). Well beyond pet peeve territory, at least in my estimation.

• Love 2

My current peeve is read receipts on every single email. I use them sparingly when it's important and I ask people to acknowledge it so I know they read my email but dude. Every email? Nope, I am not sending it.

• Love 1
On 5/25/2021 at 8:54 PM, Stats Queen said:

OMG. I have an extremely thrifty husband and we live in a two story house (where the top floor did not cool off). I started having the worst hot flashes imaginable when I was 47. I told my husband that I was sweating all night and hadn’t had a good night’s sleep and we need to turn the thermostat down. Three days later, I asked him if he had turned the thermostat down ,of course he had.

I told him, you can either turn that thermostat way down and live with a higher energy bill or years or you can live with a miserable wife operating on no sleep - he wisely decided that a higher energy bill was a wise choice.

Now I tend to get chilly, he never thought that would happen.

Omg .. all the guys are the same.  Mine is thrifty with the air, lights and the half cup of coffee I throw out.  But, he buys golf balls that cost $50 and golf shoes for $100.  Now, after any years, I do what I want and don’t give a shit.  I give money to my grandkids and buy them stuff too.  My mother always gave my kids a few bucks for their pockets and they were thrilled.  My father never knew.  The less they know, the better.  Life is short.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Hangin Out said:

Omg .. all the guys are the same.  Mine is thrifty with the air, lights and the half cup of coffee I throw out.  But, he buys golf balls that cost $50 and golf shoes for $100.  Now, after any years, I do what I want and don’t give a shit.  I give money to my grandkids and buy them stuff too.  My mother always gave my kids a few bucks for their pockets and they were thrilled.  My father never knew.  The less they know, the better.  Life is short.

This is the way.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3