Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I have trouble sometimes figuring out if someone is trying to be helpful vs condescending.  

Really? This has been such a nice group (a lot of us were concerned when the system went down for a week, several months ago). Not everyone knows how to word responses in a *neutral* way, to avoid coming across the "wrong" way.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
12 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Really? This has been such a nice group (a lot of us were concerned when the system went down for a week, several months ago). Not everyone knows how to word responses in a *neutral* way, to avoid coming across the "wrong" way.  

That had nothing to do at all with any posters here.  That was just a general statement.  

• Hugs 1
(edited)

TV-related peeve-- apparently, I am of a short-enough attention span that I find it difficult to take a deep dive into old-timey television newscasts on YouTube (both local and national); I want to somehow find a way to do that, however, because lots of them were very well-crafted then in quite a few aspects (ratings aside).

To that end, I often find myself skipping to what I think are the best parts (sports, weather, etc. on the local ones), and not really taking in the breadth of all the well-done reporting that was done on those newscasts then (let alone all the commercials of then either).

Here's a great example of one that I think was well-done: this July 1984 late edition of the original WNBC News 4 New York of the Big Apple (John Hambrick sitting in for Chuck Scarborough, alongside Sue Simmons), wherein the top story was about the Presidential election of '84 between Reagan and Mondale (almost 40 years ago)...

Edited by bmasters9
  • Like 3

Today's peeve:  Pump bottles that don't work.  At least one third of the time, they won't open.  You know the ones for soap where you're supposed to twist the spout to open so it pops up.  Some of them never work.  It drives me nuts.  I have two right now.  I will have to decant the liquids into older containers. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 5

How easily Fitbits get lost. I lost mine last Friday and have not been able to recover it even though it was syncing as recently as yesterday. I have checked countless places in my house and even went out to my car and no dice. The battery is about to die so I’m running out of time to locate it.

Watch it turn up in a few weeks or months from now while cleaning.

Fitbits have gone down in quality anyway. I probably should have waited until I could afford a Garmin or something higher quality. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

How easily Fitbits get lost. I lost mine last Friday and have not been able to recover it even though it was syncing as recently as yesterday. I have checked countless places in my house and even went out to my car and no dice. The battery is about to die so I’m running out of time to locate it.

Watch it turn up in a few weeks or months from now while cleaning.

Fitbits have gone down in quality anyway. I probably should have waited until I could afford a Garmin or something higher quality. 

Maybe try this, from a fitbit community board:

If you have been able to synch and you know it’s somewhere close by but can’t find it—go into the Fitbit app on your phone and under Account (looks kind of like an index card in the top right corner), click on your device name and you should see Silent Alarms.  Click on that and set an alarm and you will hear your FitBit buzz.  I knew mine was in my house because it would synch but could not find it anywhere for days.  Turned on the alarm and found it in 2 min!

• Useful 2
36 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Maybe try this, from a fitbit community board:

Thank you but unfortunately this won’t help me. My Fitbit model doesn’t allow me to set alarms from the app; only from the device. 

21 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Thank you but unfortunately this won’t help me. My Fitbit model doesn’t allow me to set alarms from the app; only from the device. 

Yeah, after I posted I checked that out and it doesn’t work on mine either ☹️ 

So new peeve, how every model of Fitbit works differently!

Another thought, is your Fitbit set to get notifications from your phone? Like for incoming texts or calls?  Maybe you could work something out with that?  

Today's peeve - people who post a picture of an aging celebrity and act all shocked that a 90 yr old looks like a 90 yr old.  Jerks.  And these would be the same people mocking the celebrity who tries to hang onto their youth a little longer.  No win situation.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

You know the ones for soap where you're supposed to twist the spout to open so it pops up.  Some of them never work. 

I think I hold my breath each time I have to do that, due to how many times it doesn't work.

• Like 8
11 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

TV-related peeve-- apparently, I am of a short-enough attention span that I find it difficult to take a deep dive into old-timey television newscasts on YouTube (both local and national); I want to somehow find a way to do that, however, because lots of them were very well-crafted then in quite a few aspects (ratings aside).

To that end, I often find myself skipping to what I think are the best parts (sports, weather, etc. on the local ones), and not really taking in the breadth of all the well-done reporting that was done on those newscasts then (let alone all the commercials of then either).

Here's a great example of one that I think was well-done: this July 1984 late edition of the original WNBC News 4 New York of the Big Apple (John Hambrick sitting in for Chuck Scarborough, alongside Sue Simmons), wherein the top story was about the Presidential election of '84 between Reagan and Mondale (almost 40 years ago)...

News back in the day seemed to be more gritty.

Today it practically feels like I'm watching cartoons more often then not 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

How does it feel like you're watching cartoons?

I wouldn't say today's news sounds cartoony but more like an informercial or a tabloid. Reporters care more about how they look and sound than the story they are telling. Stories get sensationalized instead of a straight reporting as fact sometimes because the reporter cares more about making a viral moment for themselves (I guess in the hopes of catching the eye of a manager at a station in a bigger market. It's tough out there for regional reporters). Or the station is owned by some corporate conglomerate that forces their stations to push a certain agenda.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
22 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Today's peeve:  Pump bottles that don't work.  At least one third of the time, they won't open.  You know the ones for soap where you're supposed to twist the spout to open so it pops up.  Some of them never work.  It drives me nuts.  I have two right now.  I will have to decant the liquids into older containers. 

And if you do get the pump to work, it seems often the tube is short, so you have 10 to 20% of the product left and you can't use the pump.  I had a bottle of lotion that I use daily where this happened.  I turned the bottle upside down and every morning would open it and pour lotion into my hand.  A friend told me she would never do that; she would toss it into recycling and open another bottle.  But that's what they want you to do, so you spend more money by buying lotion more frequently.  I had about 10 days worth of lotion still in the bottle!  

I got so frustrated by the pumps in liquid soap bottles not working that I bought reusable ceramic bottles for my bathroom and kitchen that I fill from giant bottles of liquid soap I buy at Costco.  Less stress for me and fewer bottles to recycle.  

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, Calvada said:

And if you do get the pump to work, it seems often the tube is short, so you have 10 to 20% of the product left and you can't use the pump.  I had a bottle of lotion that I use daily where this happened.  I turned the bottle upside down and every morning would open it and pour lotion into my hand.  A friend told me she would never do that; she would toss it into recycling and open another bottle.  But that's what they want you to do, so you spend more money by buying lotion more frequently.  I had about 10 days worth of lotion still in the bottle!  

I got so frustrated by the pumps in liquid soap bottles not working that I bought reusable ceramic bottles for my bathroom and kitchen that I fill from giant bottles of liquid soap I buy at Costco.  Less stress for me and fewer bottles to recycle.  

I'm definitely in the turn the bottle upside down group.  Or for things like dishwashing liquid I will add some water to get all the soap out.

• Like 4

Here's a great example of reddit's attitude towards "affair babies":

https://new.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/1f4rd5a/aita_for_not_telling_my_brothers_to_spend_time/

Long story short: My mother cheated on my father four years ago and got pregnant, my father forgave her and raises my half-silbing as if she were their child.

She looks just like my mother so only a few members of the family knows what happened; I didn't know about what had happened either bc i live with my boyfriend, it was my brothers who told me everything.

I'm not close to my parents anymore, I'm not interested in being close with their daughter because I'm not going to get into my parents' drama and toxic relationship, it's their lives, period.

But when all that happened I was already 25 years old, while my siblings were still living with them when all the infidelity was discovered it was in the house so they saw everything.

Coming to the present: my siblings never had a good relationship with my mother again (no, some families can't afford family therapy so it was never an option), two of them no longer live with our parents and the only one left (he is 16 years old) has come to live with me and my boyfriend.

None of them have any contact with my parents' daughter or my parents, the 16-year-old ignored the three of them when he was at home (now I've been paying him for the psychologist).

My father and mother have let my brother live with me but they keep insisting that I should talk with my brother's and make them spend time with her, I can't force them to do something they don't want to do.

But my father insists that I am the older sister and I should do something for the good of the family since my brothers listen to me, my mother went so far as to tell me that the little girl asks for us even though we have never seen her. Even my grandparents are insisting that I should talk to my siblings and convince them to spend time with her but I don't know what to do and all my family who knows about this (my mother's sister and grandparents, the rest of them doesn't know anything, I think, or maybe they know but they don't care.) says I'm an ah for not doing my duty as a older daughter.

Edit: I feel like I have to repeat this but ~no one is hating a little girl~ neither my siblings nor I hate her, we want her to be happy but we prefer to worry about our own mental health. She's four years old, a four-year-old girl doesn't do anything without her parents so letting her into my life is letting my parents back into my life.

When my brother is of legal age I plan to cut off all contact with them again, which is now only online. Meanwhile, all my siblings have their own reasons for not having contact since they lived through our parents' toxic relationship.

My parents are just drama and I'm sick of it. I don't understand the comments saying that I abandoned her¿? She doesn't even know me, she's not my daughter, Why do so many talk as if I have the responsibility to raise her just because I am her half-sister?

The top comment:

NTA not your monkeys, not your circus.

Your mom fucked around and was found out. Your siblings do not need to have a relationship with your half-sibling if they do not want to.

Good for your brother to be going to therapy! You paying for it makes you the A++ of big sisters!

Be prepared for your parents to keep on guilting you, and preapre to go LC/NC if they keep pestering you and your brother.

and:

Nah, time to go back to nc. Your brother is minor but he's 16. He can keep the communication open from his parents, they can only bother u as long as you keep any communication with them. If i was in your position, im petty as hell, i would let families and friends their circle know abt the affair baby and the harassment you get from your parents. But, lets not do that and drag the drama. Just nc for you mental health.

I keep seeing memes contrasting life today with what it was like in the 70s and 80s.  I think they must be appealing to people who either (a) did not actually live through the 70s and 80s or (b) people with extremely selective memories. 

The one I found most offensive was the one that made it seem  like 70s life was an idyllic walk in happy time park.  Because it's not like there was a war going on or an energy crisis or airline hijackings or whatever.  There is no time in the history of the world where life was perfect.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Calvada said:

All my soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. is like that -- pretty containers that I refill from big bottles via Costco.  A lot of those just pour, but the big shampoo/conditioner bottles have pumps, so I still have to hold my breath and hope the damn thing will work when I give it that first twist.  Just less frequently, since they last so long (especially the shampoo).

5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Or for things like dishwashing liquid I will add some water to get all the soap out.

Same, so as not to waste, but also so the bottle has a shot at actually being recycled; if it's dirty, forget it.

• Like 3

Interesting everyone's having so much trouble with pumps - I don't think I've had one go bad on me.  Trigger sprayers, however... don't get me started.  If I have one that lasts until the bottle's empty, I make sure to stash it under the counter as a backup.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Interesting everyone's having so much trouble with pumps - I don't think I've had one go bad on me.  Trigger sprayers, however... don't get me started.  If I have one that lasts until the bottle's empty, I make sure to stash it under the counter as a backup.

Oh, I have problems with those too!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm definitely in the turn the bottle upside down group.  Or for things like dishwashing liquid I will add some water to get all the soap out.

I may have done that just this morning.

I bought two pricey spray bottles.  I use them when the ones the product comes in break usually halfway through the bottle.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Dimity said:

I keep seeing memes contrasting life today with what it was like in the 70s and 80s.  I think they must be appealing to people who either (a) did not actually live through the 70s and 80s or (b) people with extremely selective memories. 

The one I found most offensive was the one that made it seem  like 70s life was an idyllic walk in happy time park.  Because it's not like there was a war going on or an energy crisis or airline hijackings or whatever.  There is no time in the history of the world where life was perfect.

I believe the people who think of the 70s & 80s as better than today are remembering a time when we didn't have all day/night news talk shows. There were awful things happening, but it wasn't in our faces all the time. We didn't have smartphones, iPads, etc., that we checked frequently for news, text, emails. We were able to be insulated from the constant barrage. Non-stop coverage of Vietnam, hijackings, protests, etc would have been overwhelming.

• Like 9
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, Dimity said:

There was no perfect time in history. Crime has always existed. Everything has always been too expensive. Kids have always behaved badly. 

Good luck telling most people that.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
36 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

There was no perfect time in history. Crime has always existed. Everything has always been too expensive. Kids have always behaved badly. 

True. But something else is going on today. People are a heckuva lot ruder & more self-absorbed (& not just in traffic).

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
42 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

There was no perfect time in history.

And where "Things were better/easier then" is even remotely true in the first place, it's only true for rich, white, cisgender, straight men with no disabilities, so people with "good old days" memes can get lost. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 13
(edited)

New day, new peeve:  When you go to Hardee's for an egg and cheese biscuit for breakfast (don't judge me!), and the biscuit is raw dough in the middle.  Only the top half, though.  The bottom half was fine, but I lost all my cheese when I scraped the raw dough off the top.  And of course, because I went through the drive-through and brought it home, there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Sad 3
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

True. But something else is going on today. People are a heckuva lot ruder & more self-absorbed (& not just in traffic).

Yes, I agree! IMO, this is a direct result of many folks in the older generations  in the last few decades not bothering to teach younger generations manners or consideration (and I've seen it for myself). Yes, civilization DEFINITELY needs civility to endure! I know that there have always been rude and solipsistic folks around but at least in the past, those behaviors would be discouraged instead of (in some cases) idolized by others.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I believe the people who think of the 70s & 80s as better than today are remembering a time when we didn't have all day/night news talk shows. There were awful things happening, but it wasn't in our faces all the time. We didn't have smartphones, iPads, etc., that we checked frequently for news, text, emails. We were able to be insulated from the constant barrage. Non-stop coverage of Vietnam, hijackings, protests, etc would have been overwhelming.

Not to mention that people who post these things were a lot younger then!  I can look back fondly on the 1970s and 1980s but I was  young enough not to worry about most of the bad news stories. 

I still wouldn’t give up today’s conveniences to go back.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

There is a meme going around:

457153704_122126269622352718_4357162409495966160_n.jpg

Which is ridiculous.  Even in 1980 you weren't filling a grocery cart for $20.  And maybe some places had houses selling for $15000 but not many.  And sorry to further rain on their parade but a good salary back in 1980 was $20k a year.  But I guess logic and a sense of proportion have no place in fake nostalgia.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
4 hours ago, Dimity said:

There is a meme going around:

457153704_122126269622352718_4357162409495966160_n.jpg

Which is ridiculous.  Even in 1980 you weren't filling a grocery cart for $20.  And maybe some places had houses selling for $15000 but not many.  And sorry to further rain on their parade but a good salary back in 1980 was $20k a year.  But I guess logic and a sense of proportion have no place in fake nostalgia.

Actually I just looked it up and the average price of a home in the U.S. in 1980 was in the $60,000.s - so that meant many homes were available for much less, although probably not too many that were immediately habitable for $20,000! This whole trope actually works very well for the 1960s though. Besides all that, look at the crap food this lady is buying!...whatever she paid, her family won't be eating very well...😿

• Like 4
On 8/30/2024 at 9:17 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I turned the bottle upside down and every morning would open it and pour lotion into my hand.  A friend told me she would never do that; she would toss it into recycling and open another bottle.  But that's what they want you to do, so you spend more money by buying lotion more frequently.  I had about 10 days worth of lotion still in the bottle!  

I turn bottles upside down, and then when it seems like they're empty, I cut the bottles in half.  I cut a giant bottle of lotion in half this morning and found enough left in it to last a few more weeks.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
48 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Actually I just looked it up and the average price of a home in the U.S. in 1980 was in the $60,000.s - so that meant many homes were available for much less, although probably not too many that were immediately habitable for $20,000! This whole trope actually works very well for the 1960s though. Besides all that, look at the crap food this lady is buying!...whatever she paid, her family won't be eating very well...😿

That's what my husband said as well. Someone added 20 years to make this meme an "ok boomers" one.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

And where "Things were better/easier then" is even remotely true in the first place, it's only true for rich, white, cisgender, straight men with no disabilities, so people with "good old days" memes can get lost. 

One of my friends (who sadly passed away during the covid pandemic) always was saying how great the 1950s were in terms of employment because "women didn't crowd the market." He was also saying that most children back then grew up in 2 parent homes and how that was a great thing. He just couldn't get how "women didn't crowd the market" often meant women were forced to stay in miserable, abusive marriages because they had no means to leave. And that there WERE single mothers back then, just hidden from society because it wasn't considered acceptable.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

New day, new peeve:  When you go to Hardee's for an egg and cheese biscuit for breakfast (don't judge me!), and the biscuit is raw dough in the middle.  Only the top half, though.  The bottom half was fine, but I lost all my cheese when I scraped the raw dough off the top.  And of course, because I went through the drive-through and brought it home, there wasn't anything I could do about it.

The only way to tell the Hardee's where I am is still open is to drive by it during breakfast hours. The rest of the day it looks like a ghost town.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2024 at 2:03 PM, Bastet said:

All my soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. is like that -- pretty containers that I refill from big bottles via Costco.  A lot of those just pour, but the big shampoo/conditioner bottles have pumps, so I still have to hold my breath and hope the damn thing will work when I give it that first twist.  Just less frequently, since they last so long (especially the shampoo).

Same, so as not to waste, but also so the bottle has a shot at actually being recycled; if it's dirty, forget it.

I do this for shampoo and conditioner for a couple reasons.  First, the two niches in my shower won't fit really tall bottles.  Also, as I age and am feeling the first twinges of arthritis that is a family legacy, those big bottles become very difficult to hold.  Especially in the shower!  For me, it's the conditioner that lasts a long time; I have short hair so the amount I use is somewhere between a pea and a grape in size.  I usually figure about 2 1/2 bottles of shampoo to 1 bottle of conditioner.

I do this for laundry detergent too, but that's because I don't like those big containers with the spigot.  They always drip.  So I buy them, but fill a smaller bottle with the detergent.  In the kitchen, I also transfer dish soap from very large bottles to a more user-friendly size.  And I do this with olive oil from Costco.  That's another huge bottle.  So I fill a smaller bottle to use when I want to measure out a tablespoon or so, and I also have a spray bottle I fill.  

The big bottles are economical but not convenient for all.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

That would work out to be about $230K today.  Still less than the average house in the US in 2024 (I looked it up, it's like $420K).  My parents bought a house in a new development for $200K Canadian around 1980 (it works out to about $700K today).  VERY EXPENSIVE back then.  I don't even know how they paid the downpayment, since they didn't have help.  Mortgage must have been through the roof.  A house on that street recently sold for around $2.5M (Canadian $$$).  I've seen some listed for $3M.  My parents were in their early 30s, too.  And had to support me and my mom's parents.  Somehow they managed.  

22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Didn't CNN premiere in the 80s?  And that was also beginning of trashy afternoon talk shows, right?  Even Oprah was kind of trashy in the beginning.  And we don't think of her as being that way.  I mean, she wasn't Jerry Springer, but she wasn't that lifestyle host  we tend to think of today.  My racist grandmother always asked me why I was watching Oprah in her early seasons ("why are you watching that fat Black lady?"  She also didn't want me to watch The Cosby Show (though on that note, maybe she was psychic and sensed a creepy vibe about him that no one else could))

12 hours ago, Blergh said:

Yes, I agree! IMO, this is a direct result of many folks in the older generations  in the last few decades not bothering to teach younger generations manners or consideration (and I've seen it for myself). Yes, civilization DEFINITELY needs civility to endure! I know that there have always been rude and solipsistic folks around but at least in the past, those behaviors would be discouraged instead of (in some cases) idolized by others.

We lost A LOT of civility over the pandemic.  That's why GenZ (and I'm generalizing here) doesn't know how to behave properly at work.  Alpha's (what my son is) going to be worse if we don't do anything.

• Like 2

@PRgal I'm with grandma. I really liked the early years of the Cosby Show because the kids & their issues seemed real and they behaved/spoke like regular kids. What I detested right from the start was the way Cosby was always trying to "get it on" with his wife. This show was on at 8 PM and was considered a family show. I bet that's what your grandmother picked up on.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

@PRgal I'm with grandma. I really liked the early years of the Cosby Show because the kids & their issues seemed real and they behaved/spoke like regular kids. What I detested right from the start was the way Cosby was always trying to "get it on" with his wife. This show was on at 8 PM and was considered a family show. I bet that's what your grandmother picked up on.

Well, only if Poh Poh understood more English than she led us to believe.  I maintain that she was racist (and sizist) because of what she said about Oprah.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, PRgal said:

Well, only if Poh Poh understood more English than she led us to believe.  I maintain that she was racist (and sizist) because of what she said about Oprah.  

She probably didn't have a "filter". But she didn't need to speak English to pick up on this.

My peeve du jour - when someone uses what is CLEARLY the wrong word and then gets all pissy when you point this out.  I mean seriously, she posted about some stuff she bought for her "prehistorical house".  I nobly resisted asking if she'd bought a cave.  I mean I want credit for that!

• Like 1
  • LOL 16
12 hours ago, Dimity said:

My peeve du jour - when someone uses what is CLEARLY the wrong word and then gets all pissy when you point this out.  I mean seriously, she posted about some stuff she bought for her "prehistorical house".  I nobly resisted asking if she'd bought a cave.  I mean I want credit for that!

This is funny, but in the end I usually opt for not mentioning it, as it's awkward and embarrassing for the speaker. 

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

This is funny, but in the end I usually opt for not mentioning it, as it's awkward and embarrassing for the speaker. 

Ordinarily I'd agree with you - I mean we all have typos in any post we make and we've all used a word in the wrong context at least once in our lives - and I don't think I've ever publicly pointed out a mistake.  When I have done it it's always been through a PM and it's usually because someone has typed pubic for public (or some other potentially embarrassing typo)  and they appreciate getting the chance to edit their post! 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Yes, I have a neighbor who thinks she's being super sneaky correcting people by using her word choice or the word with her pronunciation multiple times in the next few sentences.  It's just as irritating and maybe more so than if she said but I think you mean x.  This is the same woman who says oriental instead of asian and pronounces Italian as Eyetalian.  Some how I usually manage to let it go.  The only time i've said anything in the last three years was when she told me she was "helping" our friend with dementia by doing the subtle corrections.  I told her it was both irritating to the friend and a complete waste of time as our mutual friend had zero short term memory left.  Since I was dealing with my mom and her dementia she did have the decency to thank me for explaining (I had been as gentle as possible) and quit giving "hints" to our mutual friend.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 3
  • Angry 1
  • Love 1

My newest pet peeve is the YT channels that constantly try to upsell "exclusive content" on their Patreon. Same thing with the IG subscriptions. I know why they do it, but it's so tiring to watch a video and then have them declare that the real content is on their Patreon or whatever.

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

It can get annoying when you are talking to somebody or somebody is talking directly only to you......  and someone else in the room says something to the effect of I can't hear what you both are saying.  

• LOL 1

When I’m using the self checkout at the grocery store and it keeps saying “please place the item in the bag” when the item is indeed in the bag. Sorry computer voice but it’s not my fault that whoever works the self checkout is too lazy to refill the bags right next to the unit so I don’t have to reach up to the bags next to the candy shelf to pack my items.

Also, no hand scanners to scan my soda so I have to wait for said disinterested employee to scan my soda. Even the store I work at part time where I had to apply and do my onboarding paperwork on pen and paper as if it’s the 90s or early 00s has hand scanners at the self checkout. 

• Like 1
On 9/2/2024 at 6:54 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I agree generally, but when I went into the Y to exercise and they had a big poster up about their new children's Marital Arts classes, I did say something.

• Wink 1
  • LOL 17