Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

On 4/30/2024 at 9:55 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

Also, Disney as a corporation has purchased so many different IPs that the parks are more than just the legacy Disney characters and their animation.  There's the Avatar area of Animal Kingdom and Galaxy's Edge in Hollywood Studios for example.  

What's an IP?

On 4/29/2024 at 8:49 PM, Kimboweena said:

SMH, so I can't post a pic to ask if something is Art Deco or not?  Crazy!

SMH?

I understand SMH to mean "shaking my head" so I just checked two online dictionaries and they both say the same (of course, internet slang being what it is, I could probably check two more and get different definitions).

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So Much Hate.

That's what someone told me! Back in 2012. And then a guy on another board, told me it was "shaking my head" which is what I've seen it used for, since. 

• Like 6
(edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 3:16 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm like you although I can take vitamins.  I was prescribed that medication for urinary urgency and had weird side effects so forget that.  So now I take AZO for that issue which is mostly pumpkin seed extract if you can believe that.  It works pretty well but it does get expensive.

You've reminded me of what I've been forgetting in my smoothies, when I finally make them: pumpkin seeds. I was adding them for a while. I was adding them for protein, and also because they're good for your hair. I've had some loss on my the left, and top-left side of my head, probably due to stress, but maybe my age now, too. I don't know. 

My peeve is that I've been in that depression pit I mentioned in February, and now I'm behind on things I wanted to do. And my cat Cutie, got out, yesterday evening. My dad has been letting George out into the sunny weather, since he doesn't go anywhere, and he thinks it's good for him, but he thinks he let Cutie out by accident, thinking he was George. So I'm going out to look for him again. He got out a year ago, four months after I finally got him inside. I didn't see him for two days, and a neighbour told me on nextdoor, that he was on her porch, when it was raining, so I relaxed. the next day, I found him curled up in the sun, next to the garage, waiting to be fed, the way he had for years before I caught him again. He just walked up to me, I picked him up, and brought him in. I'm hoping it will be that easy again. He follows me all over the house, he waits outside the bathroom, when I'm in the shower (I find him there, when I open the door). 

*edit. I did see him a day or two later, but he went into the woods, and they have a "private property" sign up, and I was afraid to follow him into the trees. because people were losing their minds, and harming people, including kids. 

Edited by Anela
  • Hugs 7
  • Sad 4
21 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Now I don't feel so bad for having to google some abbreviations.

All this is reminding me of the story going around several years ago about their mom thinking LOL meant lots of love, and sending messages like “Uncle Fred died, LOL”. Urban legend? Actually happened to a lot of people? Maybe both?

• Like 1
  • Wink 4
44 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

All this is reminding me of the story going around several years ago about their mom thinking LOL meant lots of love, and sending messages like “Uncle Fred died, LOL”. Urban legend? Actually happened to a lot of people? Maybe both?

I’m pretty sure it’s Laughing Out Loud?

So...is anyone else getting a scalp "burn" from the hardworking hairstylists? I now go once a week for a shampoo & style (due to back issues). She does a great job. But, that hairdryer is one hot source of air that can really hurt. Same thing with my color/cut stylist.  When it gets too awful, I yelp and they apologize. Is it necessary for hair dryers to run at such a high degree of heat?

• Hugs 2
11 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is it necessary for hair dryers to run at such a high degree of heat?

It depends on your hair type and texture and the style you wish to achieve.  

27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

So...is anyone else getting a scalp "burn" from the hardworking hairstylists? I now go once a week for a shampoo & style (due to back issues). She does a great job. But, that hairdryer is one hot source of air that can really hurt. Same thing with my color/cut stylist.  When it gets too awful, I yelp and they apologize. Is it necessary for hair dryers to run at such a high degree of heat?

Do you mean one of the hood hair dryers?  Or a handheld one?  If the latter, you can get one with a cold air setting.  Back when I was having terrible hot flashes, I purchased a handheld dryer with a cold air setting, which was wonderful.  I actually brought it with me to the salon, but my stylist told me the handheld dryer she used had a cold air setting.  If it's a hood dryer, it should have different temperature settings, so your stylist should be able to adjust it.    

There were several times when I was in for my regular cut & color that I would ask my stylist to use cold water as she rinsed my hair.  She was so hesitant the first time but I assured her I wanted/needed it. It was wonderful relief when I was  having a really bad day of hot flashes.  If only I could have walked around the office looking like a drowned rat; I would have been doing it hourly.  

• Like 2
On 4/30/2024 at 10:43 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Today's peeve:  I blame only myself.

I ordered two bags of Peet's coffee from Amazon, and I mistakenly ordered whole beans instead of ground.   Grr.

Since I own a grinder (not used in years), I'll suffer through the next few weeks of grinding instead of trying to return the order. 

I did this too!  I ordered coffee from Nuts.com, who were having a "free shipping for $29 spent" sale, in such a rush that you guessed it, I ordered beans instead of ground.  I tried using a hand grinder with them and it hurt my hand so I went ahead and got a re-chargeable (by USB) grinder from Amazon and went ahead and ground them all.  It does taste good but I am just too lazy and groggy to grind beans when I first wake up.

Second and related somewhat to Nuts.com - ever since my crown fell out I have had to lay off eating nuts which I normally have with dinner.  My dentist did a great job of temporarily cementing the loose crown, but I have to go back to him to have a new temp put on next week and it will probably be another 2 weeks after that to get the permanent one.  I do miss my crunchy nuts, oh well.  At least it doesn't hurt.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, roseha said:

Second and related somewhat to Nuts.com - ever since my crown fell out I have had to lay off eating nuts which I normally have with dinner.  My dentist did a great job of temporarily cementing the loose crown, but I have to go back to him to have a new temp put on next week and it will probably be another 2 weeks after that to get the permanent one.  I do miss my crunchy nuts, oh well.  At least it doesn't hurt.

Can you chew the nuts on the other side of your mouth?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't let them dry my hair. I go home with it wet and style it myself with a comb and a little hairspray. Then I brush it out once it's dry.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Today's peeve: the smell of marijuana.  Yuck.  I know it's legal.  I don't care. I am sick of smelling it, it seems like almost every where I go.  Including in a hospital corridor yesterday.  My husband suggested it was being smoked outside and being carried into the hospital through the ventilation system.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
1 minute ago, Dimity said:

Today's peeve: the smell of marijuana.  Yuck.  I know it's legal.  I don't care. I am sick of smelling it, it seems like almost every where I go.  Including in a hospital corridor yesterday.  My husband suggested it was being smoked outside and being carried into the hospital through the ventilation system.  

It's not legal where I live but the authorities have been turning a blind eye to those using it for awhile now.  I honestly don't care if smoke it, and would partake of it myself if it were legal; but I have to drive on the clock too much to risk it with the absolute idiots on the road.  I just wished the people who do partake of it did it in a well ventilated place after running all of their errands for the day.  Please stop hotboxing in your car before heading over to the library, thanks.  The worst part is the loose change they keep in their car reeks of it.  Then they use that change to pay for their printouts.  

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 5
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I just wished the people who do partake of it did it in a well ventilated place after running all of their errands for the day.

Even well ventilated places reek now.  Stand outside almost any store, restaurant or place of business and there is "an aroma".  That can't be just because some random person happened to stop there.  Employees are replacing their cigarette/vape break with pot.  Nothing to worry about there...

• Mind Blown 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Can you chew the nuts on the other side of your mouth?

Yes I could but I'm just trying to be cautious.  The dentist actually told me I could eat normally (I'm still on the re-attached old crown right now) but he did say not to wait too long to get it fixed.  I have eaten some other crunchier foods on the other side of my mouth but nuts pretty much have to be well chewed.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Calvada said:

Do you mean one of the hood hair dryers?  Or a handheld one?  If the latter, you can get one with a cold air setting.  Back when I was having terrible hot flashes, I purchased a handheld dryer with a cold air setting, which was wonderful.  I actually brought it with me to the salon, but my stylist told me the handheld dryer she used had a cold air setting.  If it's a hood dryer, it should have different temperature settings, so your stylist should be able to adjust it.    

Handheld dryer. I think I'm going to ask if the hairdryer has to be so OTT hot. I've actually yelled "ow" when the hot air hits my ear or neck. Sheesh...the price of beauty 😁

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Dimity said:

I’ve never tried it, but when I went to Pain Management after my spine surgery, they made me try it as they were selling it.  They put a few drops under my tongue and I felt nothing.  Then 4 hours later, as I was on the sofa watching tv, I couldn’t feel my two arms.  I got so nervous, but slowly, it went away.   I’ll never touch that crap again.  It was weird and very frightening.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I’ve never tried it, but when I went to Pain Management after my spine surgery, they made me try it as they were selling it.  They put a few drops under my tongue and I felt nothing.  Then 4 hours later, as I was on the sofa watching tv, I couldn’t feel my two arms.  I got so nervous, but slowly, it went away.   I’ll never touch that crap again.  It was weird and very frightening.

Was there THC in it or was it just the cannabis?  

17 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Was there THC in it or was it just the cannabis?  

I don’t know.  Whatever they sell in a Surgeons or Pain Management office.  It cost $100 for a very little bottle.

8 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I don’t know.  Whatever they sell in a Surgeons or Pain Management office.  It cost $100 for a very little bottle.

I haven't tried anything yet, but I absolutely refuse to try anything with THC.  I'm worried about the high.

(edited)
10 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I haven't tried anything yet, but I absolutely refuse to try anything with THC.  I'm worried about the high.

The next time I go, I’ll check it out .. if they are still selling it.  I noticed, the price kept going lower and lower.   What’s it supposed to do anyhow?  Take pain away?

Edited by kristen111
(edited)
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

CBD - which is what the liquid is - doesn't have THC (CBD and THC are both found in marijuana, and THC is the one that causes a high).

I know during a previous discussion of CBD's effectiveness, I did a little research and posted results, but, alas, that was in the old Chit Chat thread that went poof and had to be replaced by the new one.  There's a little discussion in the Health & Wellness forum, but that was later.  I'm too lazy tonight to update my research in any depth, but this article from Harvard Medical School seems like a decent summary of what we do and don't yet know about the benefits of CBD. 

To get back to peeves,

Handheld dryer. I think I'm going to ask if the hairdryer has to be so OTT hot. I've actually yelled "ow" when the hot air hits my ear or neck.

I don't use a hair dryer (I have curly hair, and it's happier being air dried), but I was once at a friend's house and was asked to show her how to repair a wire.  I said I use a heat gun to shrink the tubing and wasn't sure a hair dryer would get hot enough to do the job in anything resembling a timely fashion if at all, and she laughed and said, "Oh, wait until you feel the Hot setting on my dryer; it's epic."  OMG.  I cannot imagine aiming that thing at my scalp!  (She said she uses the Medium setting for the roots and then only switches to Hot when she's just dealing with hair, but sometimes twists her wrist wrong and gets a bust of ridiculously hot air on her ear or neck like you're describing.)

Seems like something your stylist should ask you if you're comfortable with, not just spring on you.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

Just happened:  I have delivery instructions with Amazon to leave packages  under stairs to side of my door because I’ve had a thief off my porch.    I have a case of a protein drinks  I can’t get in the stores and cases of dog food and they’ll  put them right up against my screen door so I can’t get out in addition to being in full view. .( door swings out)  Ok I get it they don’t read instructions via Amazon.

Today  I left an envelope with Amazon written on it and put it middle to low on my screen door with a gift card for In and Out Burgers and a note to please put packages out of sight.   It’s 7:30 my Ring notification motion goes off and my dog starts barking.  I watch as he takes a picture and notices the envelope grabs it and walks down my sidewalk and opens it.   He left them smack up against my screen door.    If it were me and  I read the note I’d walk back and move the boxes out of sight. Guess I have to stay home when I’m expecting Amazon.   It was this exact time of night when a package was stolen and I watched it happen while in the checkout at the grocery store.  Makes me crabby. 

• Sad 7
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't let them dry my hair. I go home with it wet and style it myself with a comb and a little hairspray. Then I brush it out once it's dry.

I always think I will do this. But then the idea of someone else straightening it (beautifully!) just takes over! And I'm already there, so...I just can't resist!

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
On 4/30/2024 at 7:56 AM, RealHousewife said:

My pet peeve is the fact the only glyphosate-free instant oatmeal I can find in any store around me is sugary. I want a plain one! Oatmeal is so easy to add flavor to in a healthy way. 

I think Bob's Red Mill is glyphosate-free.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

People who assume we know what acronyms and initialisms are.

Not to be too flippant, but Google is free.  When I read something I don't immediately understand from the context of the post, I will Google the word or acronym to figure out what it means.  There's also websites like Urban Dictionary or Know Your Meme where you can search if you think the result may be NSFW (not safe for work).  This is a forum with users from all around the world of various ages and backgrounds, we all have our own personal vocabularies that we use.  We are not assuming every poster knows what we are talking about, just enough to keep the conversation going. I also would never assume every post on any of these forums is for me.  I just skip the posts that are not relevant to me, and keep on moving to respond to those that are.  

• Like 11
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Not to be too flippant, but Google is free.  When I read something I don't immediately understand from the context of the post, I will Google the word or acronym to figure out what it means. 

I love google (Bing, not so much!).  For me it's not acronyms that are a problem, I can usually figure them out from the context - well usually - but for me it's current celebrities.  I will hear a name referenced and think "am I supposed to know this person?" and off to google I go.

• Like 2
  • Wink 1
3 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I love google (Bing, not so much!).  For me it's not acronyms that are a problem, I can usually figure them out from the context - well usually - but for me it's current celebrities.  I will hear a name referenced and think "am I supposed to know this person?" and off to google I go.

I am shit at knowing any musicians lately.  I don't listen to radio stations anymore to actively hear any new music.  I stream my playlist and occasionally add new songs when I am exposed to them.  I have no intention of changing my listening habits, but really how are you supposed to hear new music when radio is almost dead and MTV has strayed too far from its roots?

• Like 8
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am shit at knowing any musicians lately.  I don't listen to radio stations anymore to actively hear any new music.  I stream my playlist and occasionally add new songs when I am exposed to them.  I have no intention of changing my listening habits, but really how are you supposed to hear new music when radio is almost dead and MTV has strayed too far from its roots?

This is a mystery to me as well.  I think people who are really interested in new music have ways of finding new music.  There are definitely blogs, web sites, youtubers, whatever, who publicize and discuss this.  Otherwise, I hear new music when the acts appear on SNL or I hear it being played in stores.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 5
(edited)
17 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Otherwise, I hear new music when the acts appear on SNL or I hear it being played in stores.

We PVR SNL (two acronyms for the price of one!) for our daughter and most of the time I haven't got the slightest idea who the host is let alone the musical guest.  On the other hand I have gotten awfully good at going on youtube to find videos and recently looked for  the Blues Brothers and stumbled across Steve Martin singing King Tut  so there's that 🙂.

Edited by Dimity
  • LOL 4
13 minutes ago, Dimity said:

We PVR SNL (two acronyms for the price of one!) for our daughter and most of the time I haven't got the slightest idea who the host is let alone the musical guest.  On the other hand I have gotten awfully good at going on youtube to find videos and recently looked for  the Blues Brothers and stumbled across Steve Martin singing King Tut  so there's that 🙂.

I always know who the hosts are, even though I'm old.   I do watch a lot of TV and movies--or I wouldn't be on here.  But I haven't been a pop music fan since the 70s lol. 

I'm definitely not into rap or hip hop.  I'm a person who cannot hear lyrics correctly, so these genres are lost on me. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
3 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

But I haven't been a pop music fan since the 70s lol. 

I recently read an article that said studies have shown that for most people their musical taste solidifies while they are in their teens and that even into adulthood and middle age this is the music you still prefer.  This is certainly true for me.  Other studies suggest  that people stop listening to new music when they are around 30.  Somewhat true for me although a little drastic.  Definitely not true of my octagenarian father who loves Queen and Rod Stewart!

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Dimity said:

I recently read an article that said studies have shown that for most people their musical taste solidifies while they are in their teens and that even into adulthood and middle age this is the music you still prefer.  This is certainly true for me.  Other studies suggest  that people stop listening to new music when they are around 30.  Somewhat true for me although a little drastic.  Definitely not true of my octagenarian father who loves Queen and Rod Stewart!

I can't agree with the idea that my taste in music solidified in my teen years.  College years would make more sense than high school.  I don't want to say that I stopped listening to new music in my 30s, more like stopped seeking out new artists.  

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I can't agree with the idea that my taste in music solidified in my teen years.  College years would make more sense than high school.  I don't want to say that I stopped listening to new music in my 30s, more like stopped seeking out new artists.  

I love rock and as long as there are rock bands, I'll listen to that. The first thing I ever bought with my own money was a Beatles 45. Lol, I guess my taste solidified in 2nd grade.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1