Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

People who don’t silence their phone. I’m not talking about someone whose phone just goes off once and after that they silence it and it never happens again. Things happen. But I was in a counseling session tonight and the counselor’s phone rang and she was like oh I always forget to shut this off; sorry hold on for a minute. Or people who admit that they never remember to turn off their phone or don’t know how to do it. Is it that hard to silence your phone before an appointment or Mass or other occasion where no one wants to hear your phone? 

(Random, but I sang at First Communion Mass a couple weeks back with one other person in my choir and our director, and before Mass they announced to please silence/turn off your phone. I turned to the other choir member and said honestly they need to say that every Sunday too!) 

I was in high school during the HEIGHT of the tamagochi craze.  We had daily chapel at school and people's virtual pets would go off in the middle of the service.  Teachers confiscated (and thus, killed) many virtual pets during that time.  I think one teacher had a drawer full of dead ones.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 3
44 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I was in high school during the HEIGHT of the tamagochi craze.  We had daily chapel at school and people's virtual pets would go off in the middle of the service.  Teachers confiscated (and thus, killed) many virtual pets during that time.  I think one teacher had a drawer full of dead ones.

I think I had a Nanopet or a Tamagotchi back in the day. (Don’t remember which one.) There’s even an episode of ER from around 97-98 with a little side plot where one of the characters accidentally kills a virtual pet. 

• LOL 1
16 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Obnoxious chewing. I get that some foods are crunchy, and I will make noise eating them too. But you ever hear someone who is just really going to town on their food and extremely noisy? So annoying. 

I have misophonia. I know it well. 🙁

• Like 8

I had a Tamagotchi for a time when I was in middle school. I did as well as I could taking care of it, but even then...yeah. There's only so long those things can last, really :p. 

But god, yes, I remember them being EVERYWHERE. I remember classmates bringing them to school and having them on their desks alongside their Beanie Babies. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I had a Tamagotchi for a time when I was in middle school. I did as well as I could taking care of it, but even then...yeah. There's only so long those things can last, really :p. 

But god, yes, I remember them being EVERYWHERE. I remember classmates bringing them to school and having them on their desks alongside their Beanie Babies. 

My son had one in elementary school. He was quite devoted to it.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Obnoxious chewing. I get that some foods are crunchy, and I will make noise eating them too. But you ever hear someone who is just really going to town on their food and extremely noisy? So annoying. 

I hate listening to everyone eat popcorn in the movies lol. All that crunching sounds like 100 rodents going to town on snacks.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I hate listening to everyone eat popcorn in the movies lol. All that crunching sounds like 100 rodents going to town on snacks.

I disapprove of eating in movie theaters at all. Go out and grab some dinner if you're that hungry. Drive-ins are exempt from this rule for obvious reasons.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1

Not gonna lie, I actually love to munch on something as I watch a movie or TV show. Movie theatre stuff is just overpriced junk food. Popcorn can be a nice treat on occasion though. When I was a regular movie goer, buying food there would just add up like crazy even if I wanted to. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

A large combo of popcorn/soda is almost $20. Movie snacks are expensive!

I sneak mine in lol

I haven’t snuck in popcorn. I’m afraid of the smell giving me away! But I’ve absolutely snuck in candy, tea, and healthy vegetarian food. Lol My stuff is quiet though, not crunchy. :)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I haven’t snuck in popcorn. I’m afraid of the smell giving me away! But I’ve absolutely snuck in candy, tea, and healthy vegetarian food. Lol My stuff is quiet though, not crunchy. :)

I snuck in sushi, McDonald’s, candy, chips, cheese, etc lol

i do buy pretzel bites, ice cream, popcorn occasionally 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

They don't allow large bags anymore, or didn't in 2018/2019 - the last time I was at the movies. I did manage to sneak in chicken nuggets, in my small bag, and in the past, I got funny looks from a woman when I stashed doughnuts in my coat pockets. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I snuck in sushi, McDonald’s, candy, chips, cheese, etc lol

i do buy pretzel bites, ice cream, popcorn occasionally 

When I went to the movies for the first time in years, when I was getting over agoraphobia, the movie was sold out, so we went to get food. by the time we got it, it was time to go back for the movie. I took my tacos in, because I'd totally forgotten that we weren't supposed to take food in there. Nobody complained. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Anela said:

They don't allow large bags anymore, or didn't in 2018/2019 - the last time I was at the movies. I did manage to sneak in chicken nuggets, in my small bag, and in the past, I got funny looks from a woman when I stashed doughnuts in my coat pockets. 

We have not had this problem -- living in NYC.  Since people travel on public transportation, they are not going to be able to leave their bags in the car.  Theaters would not be able to get away with this.  People would probably just walk in with their bags.  And they've never really searched for contraband food.  I've brought in a contraband coffee on occasion, because the theater doesn't sell coffee! 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

We have not had this problem -- living in NYC.  Since people travel on public transportation, they are not going to be able to leave their bags in the car.  Theaters would not be able to get away with this.  People would probably just walk in with their bags.  And they've never really searched for contraband food.  I've brought in a contraband coffee on occasion, because the theater doesn't sell coffee! 

Regal chain makes you open the bags. AMC does not. 

• Useful 4
10 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I hadn't had this experience, but I'm going to theaters so infrequently--even before the pandemic. 

I went to 3 different regal and they all made me open my backpack lol

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

That's part of it for me. I would rather buy candy for a dollar than five, but I would gladly buy some healthy food/beverages sometimes if they actually offered them. I've often passed on movie invites because I haven't had dinner. I know it's not exactly super healthy, but I've snuck in Taco Bell because I figure their burritos and whatnot >>> movie theatre popcorn, pretzels, ice cream, etc. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Regal chain makes you open the bags. AMC does not. 

My local Regal doesn't.  I carry a small-ish purse and a small totebag.  The totebag is for wipes and my empty water bottle, which I fill at the water fountain after getting ice at concessions.  I use the wipes on the armrests and seat adjuster (we have reclining seats!).  The totebag also holds candy at the bottom, under the wipes.  I do get popcorn, though -- without "butter".  And to make this post a peeve, the last time I did get the "butter" on my popcorn, it leaked through the bag and stained the hell out of my jeans.  Took forever and several pre-treatments/washes to get that greasy mess out.

• Mind Blown 2

I sometimes go to a Regal theater on Long Island that keeps threatening to close and turn into a CVS, but what with the pandemic and all, nothing has happened, so it still chugs along in a half-assed manner.  Sometimes they don't even check tickets.  They started selling tickets at the concession stand--which is annoying, since I don't want to wait in that line--and then sometimes no one is taking the tickets by the entrance to the actual theaters.  I'm sure people must just be walking in, so they're certainly not checking bags!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I remember that about the AMC theaters.  They used to sell coffee at the 68th St. Theater when it was a SONY. 

Sorry to hear about those other theaters.  I have been the Union Square theater. 

I worked in that amc by Lincoln center lol.

My understanding is movie theaters are losing $ so they are closing. 

• Like 1
On 5/18/2023 at 10:58 AM, peacheslatour said:

I disapprove of eating in movie theaters at all. Go out and grab some dinner if you're that hungry. Drive-ins are exempt from this rule for obvious reasons.

I so miss drive-ins. As a kid there were three, multi-screen drive-ins within five miles of our home. Today the closest one to me is fifty miles away on a two-lane highway known for being dangerous.

My husband is tired of hearing me say that this or that dead retail space would make a great drive-in, lol. Apparently land can sit vacant here for years with crumbling buildings and overgrown parking lots and weathered For Lease signs, but god forbid an an acre of wooded space stays natural. That must be ripped out and all the creatures displaced so that McMansions can be built instead. That's my pet peeve - new home builders and commercial land owners and the councils who abet them.

• Like 8
  • Applause 4

We had a drive-in near the trailer park where I lived as a kid. It was close enough that my sister and I could sit on the back of our car and see whatever movie was playing on the screen. We couldn't hear it, obviously, but given the movies playing there were ones we'd seen numerous times (like Twister or a Disney film or something like that), we knew the dialogue well enough that we were still able to follow along :p. 

And my family would go there to see movies, too. We'd make a whole night out of it, bringing snacks and whatnot to enjoy while watching the movies :D. 

• Like 6

Took myself to see Fast X tonight. No bag search, enjoyed my free (bday reward) large popcorn with extra butter. I ask for a box, or grab extra napkins to set the popcorn container on so it doesn't leak through onto my clothes.

Wrapped up the evening picking up groceries and gas at Costco (dead at 615 on a Friday night) and a hot dog to go. Onions are back!

I don't always eat healthy and I have no need to justify my food choices.

• Like 10
10 hours ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I so miss drive-ins. As a kid there were three, multi-screen drive-ins within five miles of our home. Today the closest one to me is fifty miles away on a two-lane highway known for being dangerous.

My husband is tired of hearing me say that this or that dead retail space would make a great drive-in, lol. Apparently land can sit vacant here for years with crumbling buildings and overgrown parking lots and weathered For Lease signs, but god forbid an an acre of wooded space stays natural. That must be ripped out and all the creatures displaced so that McMansions can be built instead. That's my pet peeve - new home builders and commercial land owners and the councils who abet them.

I miss Drive-ins too! There were three in a fives miles of us too. My husband and I used to go all the time. There was one that had, hands down, the best pizza I've ever had in my life. We're been on the hunt for 'drive-in movie pizza' for decades but we never found any we liked as much. I've even tried doing it home made but no dice.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There was one that had, hands down, the best pizza I've ever had in my life. We're been on the hunt for 'drive-in movie pizza' for decades but we never found any we liked as much.

Isn't that so frustrating? Years ago we lived near a Chinese restaurant that made the best hot and sour soup I have ever had in my life.  They closed and I have never had hot and sour soup like that again.  And believe me I am trying!  I've found places that do it that I like but none that get that exact same taste.  One of life's little disappointments I guess.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1
On 5/19/2023 at 10:55 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm a weirdo who doesn't drink soda, BTW.  I have never liked the bubbles.

You & my mom. She said the bubbles from sodas went up her nose 😊.

We went to a movie a few weeks ago (first time since the week before everything shut down in 2020). I bought a hot chocolate & it was delicious. I used to like non-buttered popcorn & a small Coke at the movies, but popcorn is now a bit unkind to my system🥴

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

You & my mom. She said the bubbles from sodas went up her nose 😊.

We went to a movie a few weeks ago (first time since the week before everything shut down in 2020). I bought a hot chocolate & it was delicious. I used to like non-buttered popcorn & a small Coke at the movies, but popcorn is now a bit unkind to my system🥴

I hate digging it out of my teeth.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I got in a group chat for a group to play tennis.  But most pick like the most inconvenient times.  Ex 9pm at night during the week.  idk what jobs they have where they can bounce back the next morning quickly.  Me my job I have to go in laser focused from the second I get in there I feel 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Pet peeve: the phrase “season of life” or something to that effect.  Two different self-help books on very different topics that I skimmed recently had that phrase, and I’ve come across it on the internet in various places as well.  IMO, it is not the worldly wisdom panacea that people think it is!

Movies and food: we liked to go to a theater that was also a restaurant and bar.  The first one that opened up in our town also had sporting events (the big game on the big screen), Saturday morning brunch events (kid flicks and pancakes, for all those divorced dad’s, probably) and “stroller” events (let the kids shriek while the mommies have mimosas!).  We liked to go there on date night because we were too tired to do dinner AND a movie unless we did both at the same time.  In our new town the sensory friendly showings were done at a similar theater.  We loved it, the chairs are comfy, the atmosphere is relaxed.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Today was busy but not bad until I got home.  My dad was in a shitty mood I should have been able to tell early.  When he starts going rambling on about his belief system and don’t listen to me it’s my que he’s grumpy.  Then I answered back to him there was an episode of Better Call Saul he thought was real dumb that I liked.  He wasn’t having it.

I kind of learned when he gets like that just eat fast and tune him out after a while 

• Hugs 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

This peeve has been eating at me for a while now.  When I go to the grocery store, I pull forward in the parking space so I am facing out to the aisle in the space in front of original space. I'm old, I don't want to back out in a busy parking lot. So sue me!

More times than not a person pulls up in the space I dove through practically kisses the rear of my car. I have a small car, Geo Tracker 2 door, so it doesn't even take up the whole space I am in.  I can't even open the back end of my car to load my groceries. Once I was there when this happened and the woman looked so pissed that I asked her to please back up into her space so I could load my groceries. How rude! Most times, I have to get in my car and pull out into the driving lane to access the back of my car. Not a huge deal, but really annoying. Why do people think that is OK??

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 2

I've been doing grocery pickup and delivery for so long now that I don't even remember if that was a problem for me in the Before Times. People can be so freakin' self-involved and thoughtless.

I think what I'd do is grab a free cart from the parking lot before I went into the store and place it right behind my car so it served as a buffer between me and anyone who pulled up behind me. No one wants to get out of their car to move something just so they can cozy up to the car in front of them, so maybe that would give you the space you need--once you move the cart out of the way, of course. 

If you pull up far enough so that there are a couple of feet between your rear bumper and the painted line, will people actually park their front bumper over the line just to get too close to your car? That would be nuts.

It's always something.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
47 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

(snip)

I think what I'd do is grab a free cart from the parking lot before I went into the store and place it right behind my car so it served as a buffer between me and anyone who pulled up behind me. 

(snip)

If you pull up far enough so that there are a couple of feet between your rear bumper and the painted line, will people actually park their front bumper over the line just to get too close to your car? That would be nuts.

It's always something.

Good idea re the shopping cart. I will do that from now on. And yep, I pull way up in the forward space. There is a lot of room at the back end of my space and still people will pull onto my space right up to my bumper. I really don't get it!

• Mind Blown 2
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

And yep, I pull way up in the forward space. There is a lot of room at the back end of my space and still people will pull onto my space right up to my bumper. I really don't get it!

Weird, indeed.  I wonder if these inconsiderate folks do the same thing if they pull into a space facing a car's more-commonly parked hood that has left the same amount of room, meaning regardless of what end of the car on the other side of the marked forward line they approach, they gauge their space not by that line or the cars parallel to them, but the distance to that car ahead of them.  And then, in this particular distortion of spatial awareness, get way too close, leaving too little space in between cars, so when the other car has its trunk facing them, their inappropriate proximity causes a problem, but isn't noticed the bulk of the time where it's instead a front fender to front fender distance rather than triggering any sort of oh, I just cut off someone's access to their trunk by pulling this far forward realization.

I don't know; in all my imagined scenarios it seems rather dumb on their part. 

People backing into parking spaces is uncommon here (so much so I never thought about it until a previous discussion on this forum made me keep an eye out for it several years ago), so now I'll have to look to see if in those cases someone across the dividing line is parking like an idiot.

• Like 3

I don't back into the space I drive through the first space so I am facing the aisle in the adjoining space.  I guess people just don't have anything else on their minds except what they need to do and no thought about the needs of others...

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

More times than not a person pulls up in the space I dove through practically kisses the rear of my car.

I drive my car WAY up through the spot so there is a good 3 feet between the back of my car and the line for the parking spot. (Because it is really, really annoying to find that somebody pulled all the way up to my bumper as you described.) 

It's very rare for somebody to pull through their spot and eat up that big gap I leave behind my car. You'd have to be a complete psycho to park your car three feet into the spot in front of you and not notice that you suck when you get out of your car. 

At this point I am more amused than anything else when I come out of the store and find the car behind me parked with the nose of their car sort of hovering over the line. It's like they were saying, "I really want to pull right up to the back of that car, but he's too far away to do that, dammit."

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

This is a very trivial peeve in the grand scheme of things but nonetheless it bugs the hell out of me and my husband is tired of hearing me rant so I am bringing it here 😃:

Why in the name of all that is holy do programmers (or whoever is responsible) deliberately air shows out of sequence? 

I just finished watching the reruns of the show Rules of Engagement and it was particularly noticeable in the last season as there were a few storylines that were being followed from show to show (upcoming birth and someone quitting their job and the fallout from that as two examples). 

To give them credit they did show the last episode in the series last - but otherwise all the other episodes for that year were shown as if someone threw a bunch of videocassettes (I know, I know) in the air and just aired them at random.

This is not the first show I've seen doing this and I just want to know if there is any reason for it?  Because I am drawing a blank here.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Had a pedicure today.  I tried a new place and it wasn’t as good as I expected.  First, they thought I was there for a manicure.  I booked a pedicure.  It’s on the schedule.  Then, they thought I was doing gel.  Or at least I thought they thought I was, seeing they brought out the UV machine.  Who does gel pedicures?  Regular pedicures last long enough that it’s not needed.  I told them I didn’t want to be exposed to unnecessary UV light.  They seemed p!$$ed.  I don’t know why.  I also had a tough time explaining my sensitivity to some essential oils (some can trigger seizures).  They didn’t seem happy about that either.  I’ve been going for manis and pedis for years and have never had to deal with people like that.  I’m paying for service.  But maybe I’m interpreting the rudeness from a Canadian pair of eyes and not coding into cultural differences?  The manager had a strong Eastern European accent (as did the nail tech I had).

Edited by PRgal
5 hours ago, Bethany said:

This is a very trivial peeve in the grand scheme of things but nonetheless it bugs the hell out of me and my husband is tired of hearing me rant so I am bringing it here 😃:

Why in the name of all that is holy do programmers (or whoever is responsible) deliberately air shows out of sequence? 

I just finished watching the reruns of the show Rules of Engagement and it was particularly noticeable in the last season as there were a few storylines that were being followed from show to show (upcoming birth and someone quitting their job and the fallout from that as two examples). 

To give them credit they did show the last episode in the series last - but otherwise all the other episodes for that year were shown as if someone threw a bunch of videocassettes (I know, I know) in the air and just aired them at random.

This is not the first show I've seen doing this and I just want to know if there is any reason for it?  Because I am drawing a blank here.

I was thinking of bringing this up in the "Retro Shows" thread but you beat me to it:

My Tivo which previously ran with a cable card from Spectrum has gone kaput, and I have recently subscribed instead to Spectrum's Web DVR to take its place.  I can record 100 shows, so made some recordings from MeTV for the original Perry Mason, and for Mannix.   I noticed something strange reading the episode description:  according to Spectrum both shows are running their episodes BACKWARDS.

If this is really what is happening - and I've checked more than once - I have no clue as to why  MeTV would do this.

• Mind Blown 2

@roseha That is very weird. PlutoTV, a free streaming service, also shows Perry Mason. I'm not sure if you can record it but they seem to show the episodes in order. It brings up a pet peeve, though:

5 hours ago, Bethany said:

It really is maddening. I often have PlutoTV on in the background for old shows, and sometimes they will show part 1 of an episode but not part 2, or part 2 but not part 1. It's probably some AI that's running the schedule or something because why would an human do this?

• Like 3

Given the quantity of entirely ad supported programming Pluto TV offers, I think they acquired their content on eBay buying up old DVD collections. I’m pretty sure they only have like 65% of the Star Trek TNG episodes. 

• LOL 8
17 hours ago, roseha said:

My Tivo which previously ran with a cable card from Spectrum has gone kaput, and I have recently subscribed instead to Spectrum's Web DVR to take its place.  I can record 100 shows, so made some recordings from MeTV for the original Perry Mason, and for Mannix.   I noticed something strange reading the episode description:  according to Spectrum both shows are running their episodes BACKWARDS.

Huh. My MeTV and FeTV air Perry Mason in order.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Huh. My MeTV and FeTV air Perry Mason in order.

Hmm looks like you are right, @GHScorpiosRule  - looks like what is happening is that Spectrum is listing the episodes backwards from the top of the page, starting about a week in the future and counting down to today??  Still a ridiculous thing on their part I think.

• Applause 1