Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

We got a 2016 Honda Odyssey. They have a special edition model out right now with a lower price tag that has the built in vacuum and rear entertainment system. Oh boy, I am loving the rear entertainment system. My kids have never been so content in the car which means peace for me :)

The projects do eventually get finished and are very well done but I'm not a patient person. Our kitchen remodel will be finished at the end of the month (we started last March). Mostly the delay this time was due to money issues. Once the kitchen is completed we can turn the old kitchen into our master bedroom which means we can move out of the nursery which will be occupied by a new baby at the end of March. I'm going crazy not being able to nest properly for the new arrival!

When I painted my sister's room, she wanted "pale butter yellow" on the walls. I'm a graphic designer, so I knew what that color looked like in my mind, but her idea could be very different. (For that matter, actual butter can vary widely in color, but that's another topic.) Anyway, I gathered paint charts and when she'd narrowed her choices to 3, I bought the little tester jars and plain white posterboard. I painted nice big swatches and taped them to the wall of her bedroom, so she could live with them for a week or so and see how the lighting changes at various times of day affected her perception. Her room turned out great -- pale butter yellow walls, white trim (white white, not winter white) and furniture, and light oak floors. I also changed all the drawer pulls to match the floor, and a friend of my aunt made yellow gingham curtains. It's nice and clean and cheery.

My bedroom is also butter yellow with white trim. No gingham curtains though. I want to paint it a seafoamy green color though. I'm tired of the yellow, although it is bright and cheery. 

And for my peeve of the day. I just bought a brand new car a few weeks ago and the dealership mailed me my new plate and registration. Looked like it had been ran over with a semi. Called the dealership for a replacement tag and they tell me I have to go to the state tag office. I go to the tag office today and they take care of the problem but since it wasn't their fault I have to pay the fees for a new tag. Fine. But seriously, I just dropped serious cash money on a new vehicle you'd think the dealership would be able to rectify this problem for me. All they care about is their damn commission. Bastards.

They mail you the plates? Wow. I don't think they do that here.  I just bought a car a few months ago, and I had to go to the dealership to pick them up.  It was sort of annoying because they were supposed to call me when they had them, and they never did.  I just randomly decided to pop in one day when I was heading down that way, and lo and behold, they had them.  Then why didn't you call?  Ugh.  At least they put them on for me.

Damn you guys!! You have me wanting to paint now. Since I'm getting new flooring in the kitchen and laundry room, I'm thinking that the paint will look old and faded next to the new floors. The laundry room isn't too big so I may just paint that to get over my painting fever.

I need to get creative and try to figure out a way to do the painting myself since I love doing it. I use a dolly to paint the baseboards and the lower stuff. We have a lot of dollys from when my husband drove for a moving company and they're perfect for scooting along the floor to paint. I just need to rig something up so I can paint higher.

I don't think I've ever painted anything yellow. I just don't like the color at all.

• Love 1

I'm not a fan of yellow. My bedroom when I was a teenager was yellow. Black is my favorite color (well, it's all colors, techically) and I wear it daily--usually my shirt is black. People give me so much shit about it. Just before Christmas, a woman at work said to me, "I'm going to bring in a pink shirt and make you wear it for an hour! Ha ha ha ha ha!" How is that okay? I would NEVER say to someone, "You wear so many bright colors; I'm going to bring you a black shirt to wear." The gall.

• Love 1

I love at least one shade of every color except pink. 

My kitchen walls are yellow.  As is the stucco on the exterior of my house.  But there are far fewer shades of yellow I would choose for a paint color as compared to many other colors.

Today's peeve: How people in Los Angeles drive in the rain.  I know we don't get a lot of it compared to many places, but it happens every year.  And so many people here came from someplace else, including places with rain and other hazards to drive through.  So why is everyone so freakin' dumb about it?  They either panic and drive at a snail's pace or zip along as if their goal is to hydroplane.

Also: Local TV news coverage of rain.  Between the reporters dressed up like the Gorton's fisherman and the "Storm Watch" chyron, I risk eyeball strain from rolling them so much.

I'm not a fan of yellow. My bedroom when I was a teenager was yellow. Black is my favorite color (well, it's all colors, techically) and I wear it daily--usually my shirt is black. People give me so much shit about it. Just before Christmas, a woman at work said to me, "I'm going to bring in a pink shirt and make you wear it for an hour! Ha ha ha ha ha!" How is that okay? I would NEVER say to someone, "You wear so many bright colors; I'm going to bring you a black shirt to wear." The gall.

I hate when people do that shit.

Black and purple are my favorite colors. All of the shirts hanging in my closet are either black or deep purple. I don't wear much color either.

Bastet, they drive the same way here in the Bay Area. People don't adjust their driving to the weather at all. The Bay Area is crazy when we have some rain. It's "STORM WATCH" all over the news any time we get any kind of bad weather.

We did have a great storm this morning though.

Edited by Maharincess

Today's peeve: How people in Los Angeles drive in the rain. I know we don't get a lot of it compared to many places, but it happens every year. And so many people here came from someplace else, including places with rain and other hazards to drive through. So why is everyone so freakin' dumb about it? They either panic and drive at a snail's pace or zip along as if their goal is to hydroplane.

This stupidity is not limited to California. This happens all the time in the MD/VA/DC area as well. All it takes is a single rain drop or one tiny snowflake, and people suddenly panic and forget their common sense and how to drive.

It drives me (pardon the pun) nuts.

And don't get me started how they tear up and destroy the dairy and toilet paper aisles when snow is forecast. You would think the end of the world was approaching and they would be without food and stuff for weeks on end.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

This stupidity is not limited to California. This happens all the time in the MD/VA/DC area as well. All it takes is a single rain drop or one tiny snowflake, and people suddenly panic and forget their common sense and how to drive.

It drives me (pardon the pun) nuts.

And don't get me started how they tear up and destroy the dairy and toilet paper aisles when snow is forecast. You would think the end of the world was approaching and they would be without food and stuff for weeks on end.

Our state climatologist created the Braum's Bread and Milk Emergency Defcon Level chart for snow and ice forecasts. (Braum's is a regional ice cream, dairy and small grocery store.) http://newsok.com/article/3906942 When snow or ice is forecast, the state Mesonet folks tweet it.

• Love 2

Just before Christmas, a woman at work said to me, "I'm going to bring in a pink shirt and make you wear it for an hour! Ha ha ha ha ha!" How is that okay? I would NEVER say to someone, "You wear so many bright colors; I'm going to bring you a black shirt to wear." The gall.

She must be related to the guy who tells you to smile.

I'd be tempted to respond "pink makes the blood splatters t̶o̶   t̶w̶o̶  too  obvious".  The bitch is implied.

ETA:  cuz I do t̶o̶   t̶w̶o̶  too know the proper use of to/too/two!

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 6

She must be related to the guy who tells you to smile.

I'd be tempted to respond "pink makes the blood splatters t̶o̶ t̶w̶o̶ too obvious". The bitch is implied.

ETA: cuz I do t̶o̶ t̶w̶o̶ too know the proper use of to/too/two!

Thank you. I'm feeling really down today and this just made me laugh.

I am always dropping something on my shirt, so it's not that far from the truth.

And that's a very good reason for wearing black -- as if anyone needed a reason other than "I like it." I have bright clothes, mostly turquoise and pink, but I also have a lot of black, gray, dark green and brown. I'm fond of wearing monochromatic outfits, particularly in winter, and since my work pants are mostly black and brown, I have a lot of sweaters and turtlenecks in black and brown. I really like black and have since high school. I would have been emo in high school if I'd known what that was. I think emo as a movement came about too late for me as a teenager living in the middle of the country, though, so I had to settle for angsty pretend-individualistic. (Pretend because really it was the same as every other angsty teen.)

There are places I won't go for lunch unless I'm wearing black because I'll want curry or something that stains, and I will spill.

Turmeric is very good for the body but very bad for my wardrobe.

WORD to the first part! At least for me! When I had this hacking cough during chemo that just would not go away, not with Vicks, not with the Tylenol 3 with Codeine, etc., my Mum suggested a home remedy: hot milk, just on the edge of boiling, with a dash of turmeric. Drink it straight down. Damned if my cough didn't get better in two days. I'm talking about I wasn't able to speak more than five words, before I would start a dry, coughing fit, that was so hard and painful, it made my chest hurt.

Ahem.

Not sure if this is a peeve, or if it should go in Chit-Chat, but I'm putting it here, because it irked me beyond end.

Let me preface what I'm about to state, by saying that I am multi-lingual; that even though I was born in the States, I had to learn English when I started first grade (don't ask me how I managed to get through kindergarten, not knowing a lick of English), and was able to pick it up fairly quickly.

If you're going to live here, in America, it behooves you to learn English, because not Everyone is multilingual or speaks Spanish.

I was at the grocery store a couple weeks ago. The customer in front of me was Hispanic. He had some coupon/card that had a balance that was not enough to buy all the stuff that was on the conveyor belt.  The cashier was Asian, and didn't speak Spanish. Through sign language, pointing to the card, the cashier tried to explain there wasn't enough on the card for him to buy everything.  Customer, just kept pointing at the card.  Finally, I interrupted, nicely, by telling the cashier: "I don't think he understands you or speaks English."  

The cashier then asked for a supervisor (she did speak Spanish) and she was able to explain what the issue was. So, the next 15 minutes is spent, separating what customer wants that will be enough to put on the card and what won't.  Still there were a few items that he still wanted. And what does he do? He pulls out his wallet--which is FAT with Dollar bills, not just of George Washington, either. Yes, I looked! And now, I'm rolling my eyes, and muttering inside my brain. WHY couldn't he just pay for the rest in CASH???!!!

I was tired; exhausted. I hadn't slept in four days (I was suffering from the worst case of insomnia ever) and it took all I had to keep my eyes open. But, finally, he was done, and he and his friend, left. 

This kind of shit infuriates me.

There. I feel better now.  Sort of.

• Love 3

Even places where it snows a lot, the first snowfall of the season is like the first day of driver's ed.

Exactly. Lesson 18: Slamming on your breaks every 10 feet while driving in the snow is not safe for you or the cars behind you. 

Two telephone pet peeves (inspired by my other favorite forum for complaints, the "Only on TV" thread).

• You call me and say, "It's me!" and expect me to know who who you are. Unless you're my mother, my husband, or one of my kids, I probably won't. 

• You call me and don't get me. When I return your call, I say, "Hi, it's topanga."  And you sit there, holding the phone, waiting for me to tell you why I'm bothering. And so I say, "I'm returning your call," with just a little bit of the attitude you deserve. I don't like to talk on the phone anyway, so me returning your stupid phone call took a lot out of me. Don't make it seem like you're doing me a favor by talking to me. 

--There. Rant over. Thanks. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

I used to work with a guy who would call my cell phone even though he knew I was sitting at my desk with my work phone right next to me, and when I said, "Hello," he would say, "What's up?" and then pause for me to answer. I finally started telling him, "I don't know. You called me."

• Love 1

Here's a phone pet peeve: Strangers who call my voice mail and leave 'Hello. Are you there?' messages and don't even bother to say who THEY are. No, I'm NOT going to call you back to find out who you are if you couldn't bother to tell me in the voice mail- much less why you called me!

• Love 2
You call me and say, "It's me!" and expect me to know who who you are. Unless you're my mother, my husband, or one of my kids, I probably won't.

HA!!!!  My sisters used to do this.  I would ask "WHO?"  or "which me?" and get "You don't even recognize your sister's voice?" 

My answer was "Yes, I know you're my sister, but you guys sound alike, which sister are you?"   

I mean really - they would call and just say HI, and I'm supposed to know who it is by HI?   

• Love 1

I hate when I answer the phone and the person who called asks "who's this?" Uh, you called me, who the hell is this?

I also hate when I don't make it to the phone on time, they hang up and when I call RIGHT BACK, they don't answer.

• Love 3

How old lady am I: Just because caller ID was invented doesn't mean to me that people don't have to leave a message. I'm going to assume you mistakenly dialed me or something else took your attention when you called if you didn't leave a message. I had a friend who would do this.

She would say (days later), "Why didn't you call me back?"

"Because you didn't leave a message."

"Oh, I don't do messages; I never listen to mine!"

Now that people don't adhere to basic phone etiquette, I'm supposed to adopt a nebulous set of rules for every person with whom I interact?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

I hate when I answer the phone and the person who called asks "who's this?" Uh, you called me, who the hell is this?

I work in a public library and people often do this when calling the damned LIBRARY.  It actually creeps me out a lot since by definition most of the people calling are not family or friends, and maybe not even people who use the library at all.   

Oh, if I see a missed call but no message I assume they were calling for something relevant at that time only, and since I wasn't there they just hung up rather than leaving a message.  Or it wasn't important enough to bother asking for a return call and they decided they'd just email me.  It would never occur to me to call someone back based on seeing their number in my call log; I only do it if there's a message.  I've never had anyone ask why I didn't call them back, so I guess we're all on the same page, but this has been interesting to read.

• Love 1

Ugh, I hate when things are designed so that something that will need to be semi-regularly accessed requires removing other components to get to it.  I've always changed my own car batteries, and I've never run into something like you describe (but I've only had two cars).  Honda, at least back when I had an Accord, made the timing belt ridiculously difficult to replace, but at least that only needs to be done once or twice in the life of the car. 

Congrats on getting it done.

Oh, if I see a missed call but no message I assume they were calling for something relevant at that time only, and since I wasn't there they just hung up rather than leaving a message. Or it wasn't important enough to bother asking for a return call and they decided they'd just email me. It would never occur to me to call someone back based on seeing their number in my call log; I only do it if there's a message. I've never had anyone ask why I didn't call them back, so I guess we're all on the same page, but this has been interesting to read.

That's me too, I'll only leave a message if I need them to call me back, if it isn't important I just hang up. I wouldn't ask why somebody didn't call me back unless I specifically asked them to call me.

I work at a company that has a lot of remote employees, of which I'm one. The preferred form of communication is instant messaging, which I use at least 20 times a day.

This is super annoying to me:

IM chat: Hey/Hi

Then nothing forever until I respond. "Hi." (Although what I sometimes use is "Yes?")

Don't put the burden on me to acknowledge you before you say what you want! I assume people think they're being polite by waiting but it drives me crazy. Depending who it is, sometimes I leave them hanging and never answer. Sometimes they give up and email me instead, but most of the time they just disappear. So your question must not have been that important, right?

With regard to phones, we use VOIP and occasionally someone will actually try to call me (jesus!) and leave a VM. Please. You need to notify me in advance so I can open my software, get my headset and plug it in, then hope everything works. Typically, we'll need to IM for a bit: "Is there audio? Can you hear me? I can hear you. Let's try again on my conference line." All for something they could easily have asked me over IM.

I hate the phone, basically. If I need customer support and there are options to call, email, or live chat, I'll always live chat. Do not make me talk to you and especially do not make me navigate your fucking automated help menu.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

I work in a public library and people often do this when calling the damned LIBRARY.  It actually creeps me out a lot since by definition most of the people calling are not family or friends, and maybe not even people who use the library at all.

I assume you have a Library Greeting ('Good morning, agogo Library. How may I help you?'), so I don't get those people. I will say that occasionally, I'll call a store or business, and the person answering the phone will simply say 'Hello.' And I'll assume I might have dialed the wrong number, so I'll ask, 'Is this agogo Library?' And the person who answered the phone will usually say that they're sorry, they thought I was their sister/mother/husband calling them back. But sometimes they will just say, 'Yes' casually  (or with all kinds of attitude). Which makes me think, "Then why the hell didn't you answer the phone like a friggin' professional, you passive-aggressive hating your job and taking it out on the customers piece of crap?"

I hate the phone, basically. If I need customer support and there are options to call, email, or live chat, I'll always live chat. Do not make me talk to you and especially do not make me navigate your fucking automated help menu!

Are you my long, lost twin, lordonia?

• Love 1

I realize this post is whiny...I find it fundamentally unfair that moving two miles away requires me to hire movers and actually "pack" up my stuff, including kitchen & pantry stuff.  Most prior moves have involved my brothers, their friends, their trucks and some beer & pizza or a homecooked meal by my Mom.  Wah.

• Love 1

But Delurker, now you can tell the movers what to do and they have to do it.  If they break something, they pay for it.  And you don't fell guilty sitting on your ass while they do all the work. 

Can't do that with friends and family.  

• Love 1

I realize this post is whiny...I find it fundamentally unfair that moving two miles away requires me to hire movers and actually "pack" up my stuff, including kitchen & pantry stuff. Most prior moves have involved my brothers, their friends, their trucks and some beer & pizza or a homecooked meal by my Mom. Wah.

DeLurker, that's when I felt like I went from graduate student to real adult. It was a bittersweet day.

Edited by MargeGunderson

What's the cut-off for friend and family local moves?

I say if you're past 30, hire a freaking moving company. Or at least, don't even think about asking me to help hump your belongings up to your second floor apartment.

• Love 1

My husband was a mover when we met. I worked there as a packer for a while. I loved being a packer. I love to pack and unpack when we move (yeah, I'm weird), plus I'm nosy as hell and loved getting paid for looking at people's stuff.

My advice on using movers is to know that they're professionals and know what they're doing. The worst thing a person can do is follow them around and micro manage them. My husband never did this and being the lead man had to reprimand a few of his workers but I'll just say that the nicer you are, the more careful they'll be with your stuff.

And always remember to tip. The drivers are well paid but the "humpers" as they're called don't make a lot of money.

Good luck on your move! I actually like moving, probably because I have a free team of professional movers at my disposal when I need them as my husband is still good friends with the boss and the workers.

I assume you have a Library Greeting ('Good morning, agogo Library. How may I help you?'), so I don't get those people.

Yes, we do have a standard Library Greeting pretty much like that.  That's why it's creepy.  If you want to talk to some specific staff member, just say so.  Otherwise it feels sort of off to me - given that dealing with stalkers something that is not unknown in a job where you work with the public.

Years ago a friend of mine was dating a Broadway stagehand, and when she moved he and his friends did the moving for her.  They were the fastest, most efficient packers and movers I've ever seen in my life.  After all they change out whole rooms of furniture between acts, and have only a few minutes to do it in.  Amazing to watch - I say watch because although I had come over to help, my help was completely superfluous.  They had the whole thing down.

I say if you're past 30, hire a freaking moving company. Or at least, don't even think about asking me to help hump your belongings up to your second floor apartment.

I think it depends on finances more than anything else...BUT, I would never ask friends to help me move (not that I have any friends). I was in a decent financial situation when I moved a couple times so that I was able to hire movers. The last time I moved, I had lost my condo I owned and had to get my folks to cosign for me to get an apartment at 39. Humiliating. They, their friend and my sister helped me move. (I didn't ask; they offered.)

I HATE moving. I still have unpacked boxes from two years ago.

• Love 2

We've never hired movers. We usually rent a truck, and we try to move as much as possible before the bigbday of moving. (These are in-town moves.) And we don't ask family to help, but if they are available, they always come and help. At least I don't move stuff in my brother's cattle trailer any more.

But Delurker, now you can tell the movers what to do and they have to do it.  If they break something, they pay for it.  And you don't fell guilty sitting on your ass while they do all the work. 

Can't do that with friends and family.  

As the youngest child of five and the only girl, I have no problem with watching my brothers (or others) work whilst I sit on my ass.  It is one of the perks of growing up being the youngest and considered "too little, too weak or too incompetent" to handle the "important" stuff.  Usually it boiled down to competition between the boys anyway - the one who would help me was often motivated by wanting to make one (or more) of the others look bad by comparison.  And it is part of the give in give and take.  It is a guarantee if I hand my brother my phone to look at something, he (any of the he(s)) will casually snoop through my pictures.  The intent is to get a rise out of me, which they no longer get - I just make sure I never hand them anything that contains something I don't want them to see.

DeLurker, that's when I felt like I went from graduate student to real adult. It was a bittersweet day.

I'm only bitter.  I remember feeling horrified to realize that people at work - important people who knew what the hell they were doing - took me seriously and respected my opinion.  I really felt like I was going to be busted when they found out I was a kid impersonating an adult.

Nah, because I am well past 30!  When I went back to So Cal to pack up my house and put it on the market, I flew one brother from So Florida and my cousin from NH to come help me clear the house, hold a massive garage sale and load the pod.  Then they drove me from So Cal to the Houston are (I wasn't able to drive at the time).  And that was only 7 years ago.

I hate voice response systems, and the kicker is I have to support the VRU system at work.  We have so few people that use it, but it plays in front of the regular 800 customer service lines.  The hope is it decreases the calls they have to have a human answer (and can employ less people).  Well the thing is we have to pay a vendor for the damned system, and that vendor is one of the worst I've ever encountered.  The good news is that with more people using the internet, consensus is that VRU systems are slowly dying.  Yay. We're actually moving to a different VRU system, owned by new company that purchased our unit.  The downside is all the testing and planning of the call trees and responses.  Want a quick headache?  Read through and test all the possible responses and paths.  I got volunteered to write test plans (which then the end testers decided to ignore anyhow - we just tested A, not B).  Not sure how they got away with it, but I ended up testing. 

I also find it infuriating when people who live in the U.S. do not even attempt to learn a bit of English.  I am not saying forego your native language; I wish my family had kept up speaking their native German along the way.  Keep your language and traditions, but have enough respect for the country you live in currently to learn the language and culture.  That would be the same if I moved to France or India or Japan.  I would have to learn some basic phrases and would not just expect for people to understand me.

• Love 1

I first felt like an adult at 28 when I was in a new job and I had to decide among health insurance plans.  Ugh.

Man, I really miss the days when I had a choice of plans! My company downgraded last year to a less expensive company and there are a ton of new limitations, restrictions, and extra fees. This is in addition to paying an annual premium of $2400, whereas individuals used to covered at no charge.

Not a peeve, exactly, but general dismay and disgruntlement at the cost and inefficiency of health care.

• Love 2
I hate voice response systems, and the kicker is I have to support the VRU system at work.

I realize this is a problem with my own cellphone connection, but I got into an infuriating loop yesterday with an autobot:

What state are you calling from?

Florida

You said Oregon. Is that correct?

No.

I'm sorry. Let's try again. What state are you from?

Florida.

You said Iowa. Is that correct?

No.

I'm sorry. Let's try again. What state are you from?

FLO-RI-DA!!

You said Idaho. Is that correct?

Of course, when the system finally shunted me over to a support agent, she couldn't understand me, either. Maybe my gripe is really about poor phone reception.

• Love 2

My husband was a mover when we met. I worked there as a packer for a while. I loved being a packer. I love to pack and unpack when we move (yeah, I'm weird), plus I'm nosy as hell and loved getting paid for looking at people's stuff.

My advice on using movers is to know that they're professionals and know what they're doing. The worst thing a person can do is follow them around and micro manage them. My husband never did this and being the lead man had to reprimand a few of his workers but I'll just say that the nicer you are, the more careful they'll be with your stuff.

And always remember to tip. The drivers are well paid but the "humpers" as they're called don't make a lot of money.

Glad you brought this up (bolded part) because I was wondering how much to tip.

This is a moving company that only does local stuff.  The truck and crew are charged by the hour -  $25 for the truck and $30/man.  They estimate it will take between 2 - 4 hours to do the job using a crew of 3 (they disassemble/reassemble stuff like your bed, etc...as part of the service) so anywhere from $300 - 525 total.

Any suggestions for me as to what would be a reasonable range?  Cause I'm at a loss and would really appreciate any guidance!

• Love 1

Glad you brought this up (bolded part) because I was wondering how much to tip.

This is a moving company that only does local stuff. The truck and crew are charged by the hour - $25 for the truck and $30/man. They estimate it will take between 2 - 4 hours to do the job using a crew of 3 (they disassemble/reassemble stuff like your bed, etc...as part of the service) so anywhere from $300 - 525 total.

Any suggestions for me as to what would be a reasonable range? Cause I'm at a loss and would really appreciate any guidance!

I've read here* and other places that the standard tip is 5%; another way to do it is $10 per person for a half-day job and $20 per person for a full-day job. That seems a little low to me, but I tend to err on the side of overdoing it.

*http://www.moving.com/articles/tipping-movers.asp (I'm missing the format bar with the quote thingy)

forumfish, I'm sorry for your loss. Cancer sucks.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 1

On phone: My mother sometimes calls and says "hey, I have someone here who'd like to talk to you", the someone says "hi, NutMeg, how are you?". I have no idea who's on the phone, and this quickly gets awkward. Of course, I left home (and country) more than two decades ago, so some of these "surprise!" people are like from another life for me. Once it was a friend from high school! But sometimes it's just people my mother sees regularly and she forgets that I was never close to them.

On moving: my first "professional handled" move was from Europe to Asia, when my job sent me there. I didn't have much to pack, so it was a one guy-job. Went to lunch and let him finish - when I came back he had packed all the magazines that I was planning to leave behind. Actually, that turned out to be quite helpful, because I had my (first and only) child in Hong Kong and one of the mags was about all the things no one tells you when you get pregnant. So I got to know that yes, you tummy gets back to normal after a while. Pffew...

Moving part 2, from Hong Kong to Singapore: by then I was a "savvy mover" and let the moving crew work their magic. The morning they came I made good coffee and put it in a thermos, that I sat on the side of the kitchen sink together with plastic cups left from the last b'day party. Had to take care of my toddler child for a while, then was looking forward to some coffee. But the thing was gone. Packed (together with the plastic cups), and 3 weeks later I had the pleasure of unpacking vintage coffee. Really, guys!?

• Love 1

Forumfish, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like she was a wonderful person to have known.

Nutmeg, I hope there wasn't any cream in that vintage coffee. Ew! My mother-in-law once discovered the movers had taken a used envelope that had fallen beside the trash can, carefully wrapped it in packing paper and put it in a box. :)

I always try to tip the movers individually, rather than giving a lump sum to the supervisor, in case he or she pockets it all. We also buy them pizza and sodas for lunch if it's a lengthy affair.

• Love 1

DeLurker, my husband said with a small move like yours, something like 20 dollars is fine for a tip, he said they're happy with anything so whatever you can afford would be fine. I wish you were closer, I'd send our friends from the moving company over and knock it out for you.

Glowlights, when my husband and I worked for the moving company he was the lead man/driver so he was supposed to get a bigger portion of the tips but he never did that. As driver he made about twice what the humpers made so he always took a smaller portion. You're absolutely right though that there are some dick head lead men who will keep either all or most of the tips.

• Love 2