Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

43 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep, since we're just objects to be possessed, they only respect the fact that we have male owners, never that we have autonomy or agency. 

Exactly -- "I'm not interested" doesn't compute, but their lizard brain translates "I'm married" to "I already belong to someone else" and then they get it.

• Sad 2
  • Applause 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

If you work in an office full of men, it's so much easier when you're married or have a partner. When you're single and turn a man down for something, their reactions are a lot worse. They feel so much more rejected. Married women of course get hit on, but they're left alone more than us single gals are, and even slimy men often back off and don't take the rejection as badly. 

I've actually never had an issue at work, or at the gym, or anywhere like the grocery store. I realize I am one of a small number of women who is left alone in public, for which I am grateful, but I can't relate to gender based negative reactions others experience, at all. That doesn't mean I don't think they happen, they do. I just can't relate.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

WTF Ruffles. They discontinued their production of All Dressed chips in the states because they weren't popular. Well, if you sold them in places other than Tuscaloosa, AL, Bristol, TN or outside of Atlanta, GA, maybe you'd have had better sales. I'm down to the last bag my mom brought me back from Canada. The generics and other brands are not the same. Stupid Ruffles.

• Sad 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I've actually never had an issue at work, or at the gym, or anywhere like the grocery store. I realize I am one of a small number of women who is left alone in public, for which I am grateful, but I can't relate to gender based negative reactions others experience, at all. That doesn't mean I don't think they happen, they do. I just can't relate.

Same here. Maybe it’s because I’ve always had more guy friends than girlfriends growing up. They’ve always seen me as a pal. I know that when I was single in my 20s, it seemed like no one was interested or “saw” me as a woman, if that makes sense. But when I got married, suddenly, wherever I went, men were giving me the look that told me they were interested. I remember thinking and saying to my friends “where were these guys when I was single?!” And they said it was because I was looking. And that I would find the right guy when I wasn’t looking. Which is just bullshit. At least in my case.

Sorry for the rant. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Same here. Maybe it’s because I’ve always had more guy friends than girlfriends growing up. They’ve always seen me as a pal. I know that when I was single in my 20s, it seemed like no one was interested or “saw” me as a woman, if that makes sense. But when I got married, suddenly, wherever I went, men were giving me the look that told me they were interested. I remember thinking and saying to my friends “where were these guys when I was single?!” And they said it was because I was looking. And that I would find the right guy when I wasn’t looking. Which is just bullshit. At least in my case.

Sorry for the rant. 

You could be me. I now have a great group of female friends that I'm so grateful for, plus my brother from another and other male friends. None of my girl friends have had issues in public, or at work, either. We just give off a "fuck around and find out" vibe that probably says we're not worth the hassle. 

I'm single by choice these days. Between COVID and moving I don't want to deal with a relationship. And age appropriate men will most likely have a kid or two that I would never want to say hey let's move across the country and away from your child that you love. So I until I find a job and move it will be the single life for me. 

• Love 3

WTF Ruffles. They discontinued their production of All Dressed chips in the states because they weren't popular. Well, if you sold them in places other than Tuscaloosa, AL, Bristol, TN or outside of Atlanta, GA, maybe you'd have had better sales. I'm down to the last bag my mom brought me back from Canada. The generics and other brands are not the same. Stupid Ruffles.

I'm more upset that they discontinued Choco Tacos. I mean, I've never seen them since my son bought one off an ice cream truck but my DH and I discussed it and we agreed that if we had ever seen them in our local grocery, we would have bought them. Where were they selling them?

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm more upset that they discontinued Choco Tacos. I mean, I've never seen them since my son bought one off an ice cream truck but my DH and I discussed it and we agreed that if we had ever seen them in our local grocery, we would have bought them. Where were they selling them?

I saw them at the grocery store. Wait a few years and they'll bring them back. We've seen this before with Mother's cookies, and Hostess.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm single by choice these days. Between COVID and moving I don't want to deal with a relationship. And age appropriate men will most likely have a kid or two that I would never want to say hey let's move across the country and away from your child that you love. So I until I find a job and move it will be the single life for me. 

Same, pretty much. That, and I'm just not financially stable enough to where I'd feel comfortable bringing another person into my life full-time right now. 

Every singe place I've worked has largely been staffed by women - I've never once had a male boss in my entire working career - and the men I have worked alongside are either married or just not really the sort that would be my type or who are stable enough/looking to be in relationships or whatever. And the few guys I do know and have hung out with as friends have mostly been gay. And I don't live in a very big city, either. So...not a whole lot of romantic prospects out there for me even if I were actively looking. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I saw some in shop rite 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sorry for the rant. 

Are you relatively tiny and young looking?  Because I think that was the sole reason why no guy was interested in me when I was an undergrad (save for the two guys I made out with at two different dances I went to). 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Are you relatively tiny and young looking?  Because I think that was the sole reason why no guy was interested in me when I was an undergrad (save for the two guys I made out with at two different dances I went to). 

Nope. And this was years ago, as I stated. Not recently.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I always seem to be attracted to dads. 

It's unsurprising. Dads rule, with our crispy white New Balance sneakers, super loud sneezes, and fiscally responsible thermostat supervisory skills.

Who wouldn't be attracted to us?

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's unsurprising. Dads rule, with our crispy white New Balance sneakers, super loud sneezes, and fiscally responsible thermostat supervisory skills.

That is a dad style, for sure. But the ones I'm looking at followed Justin Timberlake into fatherhood and brought sexy back. See: Hemsworth, Chris, Clooney, George, Elba, Idris, Mamoa, Jason, and Rock, The.

• Applause 1
(edited)

People dipping into stuff that's not theirs alone. I don't care if you're not double dipping, please just take what you need and put it into your own bowl. I don't want your germs and crumbs into stuff I'd like to eat. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1
On 7/28/2022 at 8:31 AM, JTMacc99 said:

And those khaki cargo shorts? Ooh, baby!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 11
(edited)
On 7/28/2022 at 11:31 AM, JTMacc99 said:

For some crazy reason, I find men who wear wedding rings sexy.  It’s like they are proud to be committed.  But, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are in some instances.

Edited by kristen111
  • Sad 3
19 hours ago, kristen111 said:

For some crazy reason, I find men who wear wedding rings sexy.  It’s like they are proud to be committed.  But, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are in some instances.

I like it when married men wear wedding rings. My dad didn't--but he said he didn't like to wear jewelry (true--he never wore jewelry other than a watch). Actually, I don't remember the dads of my friends, my uncle's, our neighbors, etc , wearing wedding rings back in the day. 

• Love 2

Re: double dipping? I've solved that problem when entertaining. I put a little spoon in each bowl (of dips, nuts). Guests can ladle the stuff onto small plates. Was it the Seinfeld show that created the double dipping name?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I like it when married men wear wedding rings. My dad didn't--but he said he didn't like to wear jewelry (true--he never wore jewelry other than a watch). Actually, I don't remember the dads of my friends, my uncle's, our neighbors, etc , wearing wedding rings back in the day. 

I had many bosses where I worked that wore wedding rings.  Mostly all had girlfriends.  One jerk even set his secretary up in an apartment .. the creep.  My hubs and I had matching gold rings.  I told him if he didn’t care to wear it . . don’t.  It’s still in the box as he only wears a watch and I wear my Diamond band. Wedding bands don’t stop them from cheating.  I do like the way they look tho.

• Like 1

My husband has always worn his wedding band. He had an auto repair shop for thirty years and one time he got electrocuted by a car battery, It left a perfect impression of his ring on his finger.  After it healed he went back to wearing it. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
45 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I had many bosses where I worked that wore wedding rings.  Mostly all had girlfriends.  One jerk even set his secretary up in an apartment .. the creep.  

Do you think he got the idea from that Jack Lemmon movie, "The Apartment"? That *is* creepy. I remember watching that movie, feeling so sad for the young woman (Shirley McLaine?)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/28/2022 at 11:31 AM, JTMacc99 said:

Saw this on Instagram. 

Screenshot_20220730-151358_Instagram.jpg

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Do you think he got the idea from that Jack Lemmon movie, "The Apartment"? That *is* creepy. I remember watching that movie, feeling so sad for the young woman (Shirley McLaine?)

Yeah, that guy had a girlfriend for 13 yrs.  Everyone in the Company knew it except his wife.  He got away with it as he played in a band on the weekends and said he was making extra money.  Finally, someone sent her anonymous letter saying he had a girlfriend.  She was devastated and lost 100 lbs. from nerves, but forgave him as they had four kids.  I don’t know how she could.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My husband has always worn his wedding band. He had an auto repair shop for thirty years and one time he got electrocuted by a car battery, It left a perfect impression of his ring on his finger.  After it healed he went back to wearing it. 

Yowsah! When I was in the jewelry biz we supplied guys with non-conducting wedding bands (think wood!) if they were in an industry where it could be a hazard. (For a lot of the fellows up in the mountains where I was, it was not just the hazard of electrocution but also something getting hinged on your band and ripping your finger off.)

When I got married we were so poor (starving grad students in San Francisco living on $500 a month total - including rent, bus passes, utilities and food) that we could only afford one band, so I got it - very thin white gold engraved inside with our wedding date. That was it for many, many years...and since my husband never wore any sort of jewelry it all worked out.

Associated observational pet peeve? Women that wear entirely inappropriate jewelry items (especially gemstone rings) to do major housework or construction or whatever and then can't figure out why their emerald or diamond or whatever has suddenly disappeared out of the setting :)

Edited by isalicat
syntax correction!
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Yowsah! When I was in the jewelry biz we supplied guys with non-conducting wedding bands (think wood!) if they were in an industry where it could be a hazard. (For a lot of the fellows up in the mountains where I was, it was not just the hazard of electrocution but also something getting hinged on your band and ripping your finger off.)

This is true. When I was working in the paint store and my ring got caught on the paint shaker. Fortunately, I quickly turned it off but *whew* close one.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 1

I’m not much of an accessories/jewellery type and have not worn my wedding ring since the pandemic began.  I wear a charm necklace with jade charms (including the cross I wore in high school.  We were only allowed to wear religious symbols but my family (okay, Poh Poh) wanted me to wear jade, so a cross it was) and two mood (is that what they’re called?) bracelets.  If I wear earrings, they’re studs (again, left over from school dress code rules).  Big accessories would overwhelm a petite person anyway.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I’m not much of an accessories/jewellery type and have not worn my wedding ring since the pandemic began.  I wear a charm necklace with jade charms (including the cross I wore in high school.  We were only allowed to wear religious symbols but my family (okay, Poh Poh) wanted me to wear jade, so a cross it was) and two mood (is that what they’re called?) bracelets.  If I wear earrings, they’re studs (again, left over from school dress code rules).  Big accessories would overwhelm a petite person anyway.  

Yeah, I'm not much of a jewelry person either. I wear my engagement ring only because my wedding band was always too small and was cutting the circulation. I wear a silver filigree necklace that belonged to my great grandmother from the early part of the twentieth century. 

• Love 2
  • Stop lights placed in short succession that are out of sync, resulting in a massive backup
  • People who blatantly run a red and block the intersection
  • No traffic cops at intersections that clearly need them during event days
  • People who don't understand what to do when a stop light is out (not the same intersection)
  • Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
  • Stop lights placed in short succession that are out of sync, resulting in a massive backup
  • People who blatantly run a red and block the intersection
  • No traffic cops at intersections that clearly need them during event days
  • People who don't understand what to do when a stop light is out (not the same intersection)

People who roll through right-on-red, or stop signs. 

• Fire 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Re: double dipping? I've solved that problem when entertaining. I put a little spoon in each bowl (of dips, nuts). Guests can ladle the stuff onto small plates. ....

Amen! I also have a plastic scoop that lives in the freezer beside the ice bin (metal gets too cold). A friend who was refreshing her drink said, "This is so nice! You don't get your hands cold." I thought, but didn't say, "And I don't get your germy hands scrabbling through my ice."

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

This is true. When I was working in the paint store and my ring got caught on the paint shaker. Fortunately, I quickly turned it off but *whew* close one.

That was a close call.  I wear my ring when I go out only, then take it off in the house.  I bought the husband a black onox and some blue stone thing, which he never wore.  He only wears his watch.  All jewelry lying in the drawer.

• Sad 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

People who roll through right-on-red, or stop signs. 

People smoking pot and weaving in n out of the lanes.  They should have never legalized it in the first place.  Bad, bad move.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, kristen111 said:

People smoking pot and weaving in n out of the lanes.  They should have never legalized it in the first place.  Bad, bad move.

Don't know if I can blame bad driving on just pot as there have been crappy drivers since the late '80's. Weaving in and out, tailgating, speeding on all kinds of roads, texting while driving, etc. What really bugs me now are the drivers at a traffic stop who don't move when the light turns green. Even tapping the horn doesn't get them moving these days 🤬.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Don't know if I can blame bad driving on just pot as there have been crappy drivers since the late '80's. Weaving in and out, tailgating, speeding on all kinds of roads, texting while driving, etc. What really bugs me now are the drivers at a traffic stop who don't move when the light turns green. Even tapping the horn doesn't get them moving these days 🤬.

Yeah, there have been shitty drivers as long as people have been driving cars and I'm sure there were terrible carriage, wagon and chariot drivers. I don't think the devil's lettuce is the problem, If anything, alcohol has caused more deaths on the road than probably any other cause.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

Don't know if I can blame bad driving on just pot as there have been crappy drivers since the late '80's. Weaving in and out, tailgating, speeding on all kinds of roads, texting while driving, etc.

46 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, there have been shitty drivers as long as people have been driving cars and I'm sure there were terrible carriage, wagon and chariot drivers. I don't think the devil's lettuce is the problem, If anything, alcohol has caused more deaths on the road than probably any other cause.

100%. People who are going to drive impaired don't give a shit about the legality of their drug of choice.

Some interesting facts about OTC medications and impairment:

People drive after taking medications that caution to not operate heavy machinery (aka drive) after consumption because they "feel fine". One of my doctors cautioned me from taking Zyrtec in the AM due to its effects and educated me that pilots need to wait to fly a plane after taking it, and other antihistamines.

Here is a link to an article on Medium for those who are interested in learning more about that.

You may not get a DUI by taking cold medicine and driving but cognitive function is impacted.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Absolutely, I agree.  Just going by what the local cops are sayin around my neck of the woods.  They know more than anyone.

10 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

driving

Well...I used to drive I-95 a lot, from DC to NYS, and from Raleigh up to the Adirondacks back in the 70's & 80's. Drivers didn't weave in and out of lanes, or tailgate (like today!), and there just seemed to be better (saner) drivers back then. Nowadays, I avoid I-95 like the plague. I-81 (a/k/a the truckers' road) is pretty bad, but we only use a small portion of it in PA. These jerks have really taken the fun out of road trips. 

• Like 1
On 7/27/2022 at 2:52 PM, PRgal said:

Speaking of Uber/Lyft, I once placed an UberEats order and the delivery person never showed up.  In fact, he kept on going the wrong way.  We called the restaurant and they said the guy kind of looked "off."  Got our order refunded from Uber.  

This happened to me once with an UberEats pizza order! I was sooo pissed because it was after 9pm and that specific place was closing their kitchen as soon as my pizza was en route.

After well over an hour I finally called to ask where the Hell my pizza was, only be told some female delivery person showed up 30 minutes earlier and took it with her.
How convenient that her phone was turned off and she was off the UberEats radar after that. I did end up getting refunded(and fortunately found another nearby pizza place still delivering at that hour), but it made me wonder  just how many scammers are out there ruthlessly stealing people’s dinners!

• Mind Blown 3
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

Absolutely, I agree.  Just going by what the local cops are sayin around my neck of the woods.  They know more than anyone.

I gently disagree with that as a reputable source due to the incredibly small sample size and situational bias. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

@annzeepark914 95 is being widened to 8 lanes in NC and it is a nightmare for wrecks and several deaths along the construction sites. If you aren't still in Raleigh (I forget from other threads if you are or aren't) but 40/and the beltline are being expanded all around the RDU  and surround areas. It reminds me so much of the MD/DC/VA area now with all the interstates merging and one town just merges into the next. They are now building one of those 95 corridors on the bottom side of that area and more towns are being absorbed into the chaos of interstate buildup. Remember when it was said it would eventually be BosWash, Boston to Washington as one whole place? I fear eventually it will be the same for my whole state of NC in years to come. 

Imma go feed my baby calf his last feeding of the day now and push away those thoughts. shudder

• Sad 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Devils lettuce is a new one for me. Hehe 

There’s an episode of Monk where Monk lists off a lot of euphemisms for wacky tobaccy.  It’s one of my favorite scenes of the series.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

What really bugs me now are the drivers at a traffic stop who don't move when the light turns green. Even tapping the horn doesn't get them moving these days 🤬.

They're too busy looking at their phones, posting or reading messages.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3