Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, if you don't know what the date is supposed to be 1/12 versus 12/1 is impossible to figure out if you're not sure which format is being used. 

If it's American, I assume the first number is the month.   I would only read it the other way if I'm knowingly reading something European.

Cops.

Nah, (although these people have spent a lot of time with cops and may have picked up the lingo), I think they're just trying to use more words to (1) stall for time to come up with their bullshit answer to the question; or (2) render JJ so confused she forgets what she asked in the first place.

And many of them truly think it makes them sound smarter to use more syllables.  

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Y'all reminded me of a TV peeve -- when the cops say "GSW" -- I know that when filling out forms, the abbreviation is much shorter, but when speaking, "gunshot wound" is only 3 syllables, and "GSW" is 5 (only 4 if you pronounce "W' as "dub-ya").

When I was in high school one of the gym teachers had a 2 syllable last name beginning with W.  This one girl called him Mr. W.  I always wondered what the point of that was.  It wasn't shorter. In fact, it was longer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, forumfish said:

Re: cats understanding us -- we've never had cats of our own, but when we fostered our former neighbors' cat, we learned how smart they can be. The cat would stand at the back door and meow, and my sister would tell him "get on the grill" so he could look in the window. It only took a few days before he got it. I know, it's probably impossible that a cat understands what a grill is, but we were impressed.

I hope the cat knew enough not to get on a hot grill. 

I'm suddenly thinking of Hansel and Gretel. "Get in the oven!"

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, if you don't know what the date is supposed to be 1/12 versus 12/1 is impossible to figure out if you're not sure which format is being used. 

I prefer a number/letter or letter/number (year) method.  Avoids confusion.

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 1

I don't know where to put this warning so I'll put it here and ask that you pass the word to moms picking up kids at daycare.  My neighbor's daughter-in-law was picking up her toddler at daycare yesterday after work. When she came out to the car, the window had been bashed in and her workbag (holding her purse, ID's, lots of cash that day) and cellphone were gone.  Also - she still had a birthday check from my neighbor for the grandchild so now my neighbor has had to shut down her account (at least they have a second account but the first one is the one that drafts payments for bills - a real PITA now).  So it seems these lowlifes are watching all the time, looking for opportunities. The police told her DIL that at a daycare down the street. 15 minutes before, another mom had her stuff stolen (but she'd left the car unlocked so no bashed window).

• Love 4

This has nothing to do with daycare, and everything to do with leaving your possessions visible in your car.   Put them in your trunk (before you arrive at your destination, duh, not when you get out of the car) and lock all your doors. Solid advice, 24/7, regardless of location.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Quof said:

This has nothing to do with daycare, and everything to do with leaving your possessions visible in your car.   Put them in your trunk (before you arrive at your destination, duh, not when you get out of the car) and lock all your doors. Solid advice, 24/7, regardless of location.

I was trying to get the msg out to the moms who are picking up their kids at the end of the day, are tired, and just leave everything in the car because they think they're just going to run in, get their kids and run out. We've had two incidents 15 minutes apart in Alexandria, VA so it looks like some folks have found a new source for their criminal activities.  I don't know if it's happening around the country already but it's something I hadn't heard of until yesterday.  Otherwise...I haven't left stuff in the car in many years, probably since I was a kid and we were warned not to leave Xmas shopping stuff in the car, to stow it all in the trunk.  That was a long time ago :>)

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Oh! I didn't think how that might sound. The grill hasn't been used in decades, so no danger of burning the cat.

Re: break-ins -- our neighborhood association has reported lots of vehicle break-ins, and most have been unlocked, but not all. Scariest was a firearm taken from a business vehicle. I tend to leave bulky items in my car a day or so after shopping -- paper towels, etc. -- but am trying to do better. I doubt any kids would want a 12-roll pack of toilet paper (nobody around here papers houses anymore), but it might make them rummage around for other things.

Why the fuck would anyone leave a gun in an unattended vehicle? 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Why the fuck would anyone leave a gun in an unattended vehicle? 

Because they're stupid.  Didn't you hear the story last summer about a 3 year old who shot himself with a gun left in a glove compartment?  Maybe he shot someone else.  But anyway, people leave their guns out, unlocked, and loaded and then can't understand how they're to blame when stuff happens.

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't know where to put this warning so I'll put it here and ask that you pass the word to moms picking up kids at daycare.  My neighbor's daughter-in-law was picking up her toddler at daycare yesterday after work. When she came out to the car, the window had been bashed in 

Smash-and-grab while other people were around? Bold. 

Another warning, watch out for purse snatchers in parking lots on bicycles and skateboards. You won't hear the bicycles coming. I know we often leave our purses in the cart while we're unloading groceries, securing the kids, etc. 

And while inside the store, I use the little kid safety belt to secure my purse to the cart.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 5

My sister was shopping in Food Lion (this was about 20 years ago) and had her purse in the baby seat section.  While she was looking at stuff on the shelves, someone came along, reached into her OPEN purse and took her wallet.  I still see women shopping with purses sitting in that little seat, purses usually open.  I only had the nerve to warn one woman (for some reason I felt like a busybody--but she thanked me for the warning).

• Love 6
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I only had the nerve to warn one woman

It was another woman in the store who told me about the kiddie belt trick. I didn't think she was a busybody. But I know what you mean about approaching strangers. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

My sister was shopping in Food Lion (this was about 20 years ago) and had her purse in the baby seat section.  While she was looking at stuff on the shelves, someone came along, reached into her OPEN purse and took her wallet.  I still see women shopping with purses sitting in that little seat, purses usually open.  I only had the nerve to warn one woman (for some reason I felt like a busybody--but she thanked me for the warning).

That happened to my mother TWICE. She didn't learn the first time (and maybe never did, but experienced good fortune).

One of the times, a person called our house because they found (or "found") her wallet and wanted her to come to a bar two towns over to pick it up. We lived in a ritzy town, and my parents were afraid this was a setup for our house to get robbed, so they asked me to stay put in the house and watch it while they retrieved the wallet.  I was 13-14 and supposed to protect the house from bad people --  what the hell?!? (They were always doing stuff like that to me.) Anyway, no robbery or attempted robbery occurred, and life went on.

• Love 9
(edited)
22 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

We made it home and couldn't breath for hours. We are thankful that we got way.

I feel that way about the perfume ambush, too.  :)

When I lived in a small town many years ago, I often left my keys in the door lock; but I also had large dogs. Now that I live in a large metropolitan area, I lock everything, all the time. A few years ago, there was a police warning about people who go door-to-door, just checking to see if the door is locked. And if the door isn't locked, woo-hoo! Crime of opportunity. 

Edited by ennui
Warning, not warming.
  • Love 1

I had stuff stolen from a hotel room when someone did that. We locked the door, but failed to notice that it didn't latch so you could push it open. Ever since, when I leave the house, I always try to push open the locked door to make sure it is really closed.

• Love 3
On 6/20/2017 at 0:58 PM, forumfish said:

Y'all reminded me of a TV peeve -- when the cops say "GSW" -- I know that when filling out forms, the abbreviation is much shorter, but when speaking, "gunshot wound" is only 3 syllables, and "GSW" is 5 (only 4 if you pronounce "W' as "dub-ya").

Re: cats understanding us -- we've never had cats of our own, but when we fostered our former neighbors' cat, we learned how smart they can be. The cat would stand at the back door and meow, and my sister would tell him "get on the grill" so he could look in the window. It only took a few days before he got it. I know, it's probably impossible that a cat understands what a grill is, but we were impressed.

I don't think this is impossible. My dog knows what a street is, and knows that when I say "street" that I want him to walk on the street. He also knows "sidewalk" and knows that command means to go back onto the sidewalk (I don't often have to give him this command as he prefers being on the sidewalk). He inherently recognizes intersections and stops at each one, waiting for me or my wife to give him a command. He also recognizes that street corners and driveways are different from each other and does not stop at driveways.

• Love 3
(edited)

I just want to complain today about people who mourn the death of someone they don't know, who is famous for nothing at all, then get upset when other people are not bothered by this person's death, and yet the people doing the mourning could not care less about people whose deaths are actually tragic, like children and adults killed by guns (especially drive-bys) or victims of domestic violence (again, adult and child). Seriously, WTF? Presumably, these people who are complaining don't know any of the people I've just described, yet they get upset because someone died who made themselves famous by posting inane bullshit on instagram or facebook.

Sorry if I come off as a heartless bastard; it's probably partly true.

Edited by MrSmith
Last sentence didn't make sense; clarified it
  • Love 3

I never put my purse down in a store.  It stays on my arm, zipped closed.  I see women walk away from their shopping carts with their purses just sitting there, asking to get robbed.  At that point it's just a crime of opportunity.  A coworker actually had her credit cards stolen from her bag at Panera recently.  She had it on the back of her chair while she was eating, and only knew it had gotten stolen because one card company called and asked if she just spent $2000 in Staples.  So now I keep my purse in my lap while I eat, too.  I'm also leery of hanging it on the hook in the bathroom stall, but it's better than putting it on the disgusting floor, so it's just the lesser of two evils at that point.  

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I just want to complain today about people who mourn the death of someone they don't know, who is famous for nothing at all, then get upset when other people are not bothered by this person's death, and yet the people doing the mourning could not care less about people whose deaths are actually tragic, like children and adults killed by guns (especially drive-bys) or victims of domestic violence (again, adult and child). Seriously, WTF? Presumably, these people who are complaining don't know any of the people I've just described, yet they get upset because someone who made themselves famous by posting inane bullshit on instagram or facebook.

Sorry if I come off as a heartless bastard; it's probably partly true.

I can't really get all that worked up about the death of people I don't know, either.  I can however, feel saddedned by violence.  And if you tell me a story about a child dying or losing a parent, I will cry.  guaranteed.

7 minutes ago, janestclair said:

I never put my purse down in a store.  It stays on my arm, zipped closed.  I see women walk away from their shopping carts with their purses just sitting there, asking to get robbed.  At that point it's just a crime of opportunity.  A coworker actually had her credit cards stolen from her bag at Panera recently.  She had it on the back of her chair while she was eating, and only knew it had gotten stolen because one card company called and asked if she just spent $2000 in Staples.  So now I keep my purse in my lap while I eat, too.  I'm also leery of hanging it on the hook in the bathroom stall, but it's better than putting it on the disgusting floor, so it's just the lesser of two evils at that point.  

I actually went to eat and forgot my purse on the back of the chair.  I now loop it over my leg when I go anywhere.  But, someone turned it into the counter and I got it back with absolutely everything still inside. Totally lucked out.

• Love 1

I just went to the bank.  I stood in "line" for 10 minutes. I put that in quotes because two people were being helped, but I was the only one in line until one other person came in.  Anyway, the phone rang 3 times while I was waiting, and all three times the phone was answered and the person on the other line taken care of.  Not asking to hold, but actually having their full issue at least addressed.  One needed a callback.  I was always taught that the people in front of you come before the people on the phone.  I eventually lost patience and left which means I now have to go back.  AARGH.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I just went to the bank.  I stood in "line" for 10 minutes. I put that in quotes because two people were being helped, but I was the only one in line until one other person came in.  Anyway, the phone rang 3 times while I was waiting, and all three times the phone was answered and the person on the other line taken care of.  Not asking to hold, but actually having their full issue at least addressed.  One needed a callback.  I was always taught that the people in front of you come before the people on the phone.  I eventually lost patience and left which means I now have to go back.  AARGH.

Don't go back. Abide by the moral of the story, and that is to phone it in! :D

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Qoass said:

Better not stop for fast food on the way:  they take care of the drive through line before the people actually standing at the counter.

They're mandated by law to get people through the drive-through within a certain number of seconds, on average. That's why they have you pull forward if you have to wait. It lets them get you out of the drive-through (and no longer counting against that timer) and continue serving other people in order to keep under that amount of time. When I worked at McD's in 1997, they had 30 seconds to get people through the drive-through. If they can't meet that mandate, they can actually be forced to close their drive-through.

18 minutes ago, Qoass said:

Better not stop for fast food on the way:  they take care of the drive through line before the people actually standing at the counter.

Lol.  They're typically two different crews though, no?   Headset crew handles the window, counter crew handles the inside.  I didn't think the twain met.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Lol.  They're typically two different crews though, no?   Headset crew handles the window, counter crew handles the inside.  I didn't think the twain met.

Well, they do have a crew on headset to handle the drive-through. However, the people making the food make all the food for both the counter and the drive-through. Therein lies the source of all the problems and Joe Pesci's Lethal Weapon 2 rant as Leo Goetz: "They fuck you in the drive-through!"

• Love 2
4 hours ago, janestclair said:

I'm also leery of hanging it on the hook in the bathroom stall, but it's better than putting it on the disgusting floor, so it's just the lesser of two evils at that point.  

Reminds me of a L&O Criminal Intent episode. Eames and Goren were in a ladies restroom, re-enacting something. Goren kept trying to say the victim put her purse on the floor, and Eames simply repeated "Hook," "hook," until Goren caved and accepted that a woman would not put her purse on the floor. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

They're mandated by law to get people through the drive-through within a certain number of seconds, on average. That's why they have you pull forward if you have to wait. It lets them get you out of the drive-through (and no longer counting against that timer) and continue serving other people in order to keep under that amount of time. When I worked at McD's in 1997, they had 30 seconds to get people through the drive-through. If they can't meet that mandate, they can actually be forced to close their drive-through.

40 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Well, they do have a crew on headset to handle the drive-through. However, the people making the food make all the food for both the counter and the drive-through. Therein lies the source of all the problems and Joe Pesci's Lethal Weapon 2 rant as Leo Goetz: "They fuck you in the drive-through!"

OK, I'm not sure if I should admit this or not, but I worked off and on for 7 years as crew at McDonald's, was an assistant manager for a year at Wendy's and worked a couple of months at a KFC.  So, let me just comment on all this.  As far as I know, there is no legislation governing fast food times.  However, all the corporate offices of the various companies do have times that they want you to get people through drive through from the time of order.  However, they also have times (slightly longer) for counter.  And that goes from time in line (although, there's really no way for corporate to get that number without actually coming and spying).  So, there is another more easily measureable time from time of order on counter.  There are two sets of people running registers and bagging up food for counter and drive-thru.  McDonald's and KFC precooks the food (or at least they did back in the day), so the grill person doesn't go drive thru, drive thru, drive thru, OK, maybe I can do a counter now.  Additionally at the Wendy's I worked for there were two separate grills for drive-thru and counter, so the traffic either location didn't affect anything (except for non-peak times, like say after 8:00 p.m.). 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Katy M said:

There are two sets of people running registers and bagging up food for counter and drive-thru. 

I think this must be for larger facilities. I don't eat a lot of fast food, but I do hate the drive-thru (I hate sitting in traffic, and the two are very similar). When I go inside, everyone appears to be working the drive-thru, and it's like my presence breaks their rhythm. The JitB near me is small, though, only a few people working a given shift.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, ennui said:

I think this must be for larger facilities. I don't eat a lot of fast food, but I do hate the drive-thru (I hate sitting in traffic, and the two are very similar). When I go inside, everyone appears to be working the drive-thru, and it's like my presence breaks their rhythm. The JitB near me is small, though, only a few people working a given shift.

Well, yes, all places are different and I didn't mean to imply that all places are run the same.  I just meant to say that not in every case is the drive-thru prioritized over the counter.  It's funny you mention JITB.  We went to Cali for four days when I was 13 and my mom was asking me about it.  I said they only thing I remembered was going to Jack in the Box.  The only reason I remembered that was because I had never heard of it before and don't think I've heard it mentioned only a few times since,.  So, hearing about it again right after discussing it is kind of crazy.

• Love 1
(edited)

In & Out goes by order number and during busy times they have someone with a tablet and headset walking the drive-through line taking orders. I usually still go inside if there isn't a line, even if my number is after some of the cars I'll still get my food first by sheer logistics of a single file drive through line. I usually go in to places though, it always seems faster, probably because I end up behind someone ordering food for an Army Battalion.

My peeve today is this: A friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks. Her Bridal shower is Saturday. OK great, fun time. I wasn't invited to her Bachelorette, no biggie, I couldn't have afforded it anyway and her scene isn't my scene). I found out last night that after the Bridal Shower they going on a party bus to go bar crawling (totally my jam and she knows it). I wasn't included, not even asked. Now I don't even want to go to the shower, knowing they're all going out after. I guess at least I know now so I don't ask if anyone wants to go out after like we did for another friends shower a few months ago.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

I found out last night that after the Bridal Shower they going on a party bus to go bar crawling. I wasn't included, not even asked.

Maybe they assumed you'd go along? Is it an extension of the party? Is this a situation where you wouldn't want to go, but you'd like to be asked anyway? 

7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

A friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks. Her Bridal shower is Saturday. OK great, fun time. I wasn't invited to her Bachelorette, no biggie, I couldn't have afforded it anyway and her scene isn't my scene). I found out last night that after the Bridal Shower they going on a party bus to go bar crawling (totally my jam and she knows it). I wasn't included, not even asked.

Adding that all up, it seems quite tacky -- she wants you there for the one event that is all about giving her presents, but not for either of the events that are actually about socializing with friends.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

OK, I'm not sure if I should admit this or not, but I worked off and on for 7 years as crew at McDonald's, was an assistant manager for a year at Wendy's and worked a couple of months at a KFC.  

Sure you should admit it cause McD's and Wendy's and other places, where we dash in to get something quick to eat, need to have good (and kind) people working there.  I love stopping at Wendy's in Hazelton, PA (the last Hazelton exit heading north on I-81) cause the food is quite good and the workers are always pleasant and efficient.  Love the 2 Panera's we stopped at for lunch going both ways on the Ohio Turnpike during Xmas week.  These aren't easy jobs, dealing with all kinds of customers (tired, rushed, cranky, rude, etc) and I'm always amazed at how good the employees are to us :>)

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

These aren't easy jobs, dealing with all kinds of customers (tired, rushed, cranky, rude, etc) and I'm always amazed at how good the employees are to us :>)

You don't know what we say behind your backs:) JK.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Adding that all up, it seems quite tacky -- she wants you there for the one event that is all about giving her presents, but not for either of the events that are actually about socializing with friends.

Yes, that's how I took it, too.

2 hours ago, ennui said:

Maybe they assumed you'd go along? Is it an extension of the party? Is this a situation where you wouldn't want to go, but you'd like to be asked anyway? 

Then why wasn't she aware of this part of the festivities? Sounds hinky.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

In & Out goes by order number and during busy times they have someone with a tablet and headset walking the drive-through line taking orders. I usually still go inside if there isn't a line, even if my number is after some of the cars I'll still get my food first by sheer logistics of a single file drive through line. I usually go in to places though, it always seems faster, probably because I end up behind someone ordering food for an Army Battalion.

My peeve today is this: A friend of mine is getting married in a few weeks. Her Bridal shower is Saturday. OK great, fun time. I wasn't invited to her Bachelorette, no biggie, I couldn't have afforded it anyway and her scene isn't my scene). I found out last night that after the Bridal Shower they going on a party bus to go bar crawling (totally my jam and she knows it). I wasn't included, not even asked. Now I don't even want to go to the shower, knowing they're all going out after. I guess at least I know now so I don't ask if anyone wants to go out after like we did for another friends shower a few months ago.

Because I am obnoxious, if I went, I'd ask everybody (within her earshot) if they all wanted to go out and do something. Just to see how uncomfortable I could make people, especially if someone said someting about, "We're all going on the bus," and then I could act surprised and say, "Oh, I didn't know about that."

Or I might decide I wasn't really wanted and not go to anything. If I did go, though, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the present.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, add her to your "ex-friends list" and spend whatever money you would've spent on a shower gift (don't get me started on that whole racket) on yourself.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ennui said:

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm not sure who organized the after-party or if the bride knows I wasn't included. I was out with another friend last night and asked if she wanted to carpool to the shower and she mentioned something about the after-party logistics.  The MoH is very cliquish and can be catty; she and I aren't super close but don't have issues.  The bachelorette party I'm relieved I wasn't invited because the MoH was giving people shit for not being able to go. It was a destination that I couldn't afford anyway visiting clubs I can't stand.

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

Because I am obnoxious, if I went, I'd ask everybody (within her earshot) if they all wanted to go out and do something. Just to see how uncomfortable I could make people, especially if someone said someting about, "We're all going on the bus," and then I could act surprised and say, "Oh, I didn't know about that."

Or I might decide I wasn't really wanted and not go to anything. If I did go, though, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the present.

The thought did cross my mind but I don't want to ruin her day. It's well known I don't party often and am not a huge fan of loud, crowded bars. I'll have to see how the snub seems on Saturday.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Katy M said:

OK, I'm not sure if I should admit this or not, but I worked off and on for 7 years as crew at McDonald's, was an assistant manager for a year at Wendy's and worked a couple of months at a KFC. 

My hat is off to you.

As far as I know, there is no legislation governing fast food times. 

I know there are some stupid laws out there, but there's always a reason behind them.  What situation could cause a legislative body to care how long it takes to get customers through a drive-through?  How would they even enforce it?  Does it apply to only restaurants, or to banks, as well?   Whenever somebody says, "There's a law that..." and it doesn't make sense, I ask for the citation. 

And that is a peeve of mine.  If I ask why something is some way and a person says, "It's a state law," I reflexively think, "No it's not."  I don't know...maybe it's perceived as kind of a safe harbor between federal (that's some serious shit) and municipal (nobody knows anything about city ordinances and they wouldn't be perceived as "big" enough anyway).

The only situation I can imagine where wait times in drive-throughs would be regulated might be in a shopping center, where it's part of the lease terms.  But that's just wild speculation. 

However, all the corporate offices of the various companies do have times that they want you to get people through drive through from the time of order.  However, they also have times (slightly longer) for counter.  And that goes from time in line (although, there's really no way for corporate to get that number without actually coming and spying). 

They pay secret shoppers to do their spying for them, and they are very exacting on time.  I thought secret shoppers would provide the business with impressions about customer service, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  It's just the facts, ma'am, and only the facts they ask for.  On the one hand, it's annoying because sometimes there are things I'd like to report but there's no way to do it, but on the other hand...Yelp.  So I get it.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I know there are some stupid laws out there, but there's always a reason behind them.  What situation could cause a legislative body to care how long it takes to get customers through a drive-through?

The only thing I could see is if traffic was somehow getting backed up.  In which case, I would think it would be a town or city law as opposed to state or federal.  I'm like 95% sure there is no federal law regulating drive-thru times.  On the other hand, if a place advertising 1 minute or 30 second drive thru times isn't following through, then it becomes false advertising, which does fall under federal law. But, that's not really the same thing as having a drive-thru time law.

• Love 1

I do know that the drive-through at my local fast food place sometimes backs up into the street which is not a good situation.  On the other hand, the parking places are along the perimeter of the restaurant so if you want to go in, you have to walk through the drive-through lane which is also not ideal.  Our town recently voted down a change in zoning to allow for more drive-throughs and I think traffic was right up there with litter as the reason why it didn't succeed.

My pet peeve today is my cousin, which bums me out. We don't live in the same state and haven't for years, but we've still visited fairly regularly and grew up close to each other. My aunt and uncle live in the same town and I've known she was coming to see them for weeks and even suggested we get together while she's here (to which she was in agreement with). Turns out she came in early and has been with them all week, visiting and hanging out. I had no idea. I only found out when she posted pics online of how she went shopping at a place right near me. I guess I valued the relationship more than she ever did.

What is that saying? When people show you who they really are, believe them? I guess I know now.

• Love 3

That's one reason I don't look at FB and the like--I'd rather not know.

But you bring up cousins.  Has anybody noticed how often cousins are involved in trouble?  Like when people get arrested for capers, so many times they're cousins.  Or retribution--he shot my cousin.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, emma675 said:

My pet peeve today is my cousin, which bums me out. We don't live in the same state and haven't for years, but we've still visited fairly regularly and grew up close to each other. My aunt and uncle live in the same town and I've known she was coming to see them for weeks and even suggested we get together while she's here (to which she was in agreement with). Turns out she came in early and has been with them all week, visiting and hanging out. I had no idea. I only found out when she posted pics online of how she went shopping at a place right near me. I guess I valued the relationship more than she ever did.

What is that saying? When people show you who they really are, believe them? I guess I know now.

Funny you bring that up. I have a very, very small family. I texted my cousin asking him to call me so I could share my promotion / move news. Crickets to the point I wonder if I have the right phone number.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That's one reason I don't look at FB and the like--I'd rather not know.

But you bring up cousins.  Has anybody noticed how often cousins are involved in trouble?  Like when people get arrested for capers, so many times they're cousins.  Or retribution--he shot my cousin.

I don't have any cousins.  No first cousins anyway.  There's a pet peeve for you.  Every time the subject of cousins, or aunts and uncles come up, my best friend just goes on and on about how weird that is.  Two "only" children getting married and having kids is not that weird.  It can't be.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 3