Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

(edited)

@TATTLETEENY Can you phone in an anonymous tip about your neighbors' weed habit? At the very least, you should be able to complain to the building manager (or even the landlord, if you rent). Seems pretty clear their ducting and your ducting connect because I can't imagine how else that much second-hand smoke could get into your place.

Not really. First, I own and they rent (the owner of their unit lives elsewhere). And our condos are unique (a nice way to put it*) in that we're like an island unto ourselves: there is only one person on the board currently, the property owner just sold to god knows who, and our put-upon building manager is often MIA due to dealing with a bunch of other properties. Plus, I don't want them to get "in trouble"; I just want to be in charge of my own smells, thank you!

* On the bright side, we have no silly rules concerning, say, what style of visible-from-the-outside curtains/blinds you're allowed to have.

Totally unrelated, but still regarding peeves: Sometimes I wish I had a GIF of that scene in Private Parts where "Hopalong Howie" says, "I quit...I think I quit."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
(edited)

So this morning I had to put money on my metrocard, I buy the 30 day unlimited which comes to $121.  Did this, then went to swipe it at the turnstile and it said I had insufficient funds.  Surprisingly there is a person working at this station, he told me that I need to discuss this with my credit card company but he did let me through the gate.  When I got to work I looked up my credit card statement and the $121 charge is on there, so I called my credit card company who told me that they can't do anything about the charge that it's currently pending and will either post or not on June 1.  I'm really mad because I use this credit card for everything and they refuse to help me.  At lunch I went to find a subway station with a person and showed them my credit card statement but all they did was give me the phone number for customer service at the mta.  When I called that number, they asked for the number on my metrocard, told me that my metrocard is damaged and that they won't be able to see any transactions from today until tomorrow.  So now I'm going to have to buy a new metrocard on my way home, get charged a $1 for a new card on top of paying an additional $121 for my monthly card and hope that I don't end up paying $242 this month.  It has not been a good day.

Edited by partofme
  • Love 5

Verizon Wireless got in touch with me about possibly switching carriers. I explained to them that I have four lines that I'd be bringing, and that one of those currently uses a Galaxy S5 (my mother in law) and that I would need to bring the S5 over from Sprint. Their response was simply that the S5 will not work on their network, leaving me to infer that I'm expected to put my mother in law on a new phone (Galaxy S8) that she has already explicitly stated she does not want. (She's seen my wife's phone and doesn't want it for several reasons, and not just because she's being a technophobe.) When I pushed back and stated that all American carriers use CDMA, anyway, then they responded with "Well, we could put a SIM card in it and see if it works." This was my response:

Hmmm. That's ok. I think I'll pass. Maybe it's partly due to being burned by Sprint after investing 8 hours yesterday trying to get my issues with them fixed (and I really do hate Sprint at this point). But you led with a firm position of "$X is not possible" (regarding the S5) and are now back-tracking on that. This means it was always possible and you either wanted to encourage the sale of that fourth phone or weren't interested in working with me on getting the S5 working on your network. Either way, those are both customer-hostile positions and I'm already dealing with a company that is hostile to this customer.

You're supposed to be able to take devices you own outright to whatever carrier you want, which is the whole point of unlock codes and the design of the SIM card. That said, the Verizon rep had a number of responses available to them that are more customer-friendly than their initial response was. Their second response, obviously, was one they could have led with. Another option would be to say that they have used Galaxy S5's available for purchase, which they certainly do since they also buy phones back from customers. Sprint still had S3's available for purchase when I got my S7 Edge. I would have accepted purchasing a new-used Galaxy S5 for my mother in law; I just cannot accept forcing her to upgrade to a phone she does not want and would be uncomfortable owning.

• Love 2

Speaking of devices, I can't find on my phone how to disable video autoplay in the FB app. I looked it up and the instructions don't match my iPhone. The reason for this? A video I had no interest in seeing just started playing while I was looking at something above it, and the content was so horrific that I am trying not to cry at work (and/or text my therapist!). 

• Love 2

Back to freezing offices. I too am at my desk with my space heater on.  Our office is so cold that when I leave for the day in the summer months, I drive home with the windows of my car rolled up (no air conditioning on) in 100 plus degree heat until my body temperature normalizes.  It usually levels out about half way home.

• Love 3
On 5/24/2017 at 10:16 AM, MrSmith said:

The lady can't tell the difference between a Corvette and a Camaro. So, why would they think she's right about any of the rest of her complaint? (I owned both a 1978 Corvette and the Camaro at the time. The Corvette was a project and wasn't driven.)

Just because she can't tell a Corvette from a Camaro doesn't mean she's incapable of discerning if something is noisy or driven racy in a parking lot.

But on the subject of loud vehicles...

Mr. Outlier is a car guy and he explained that newer cars go faster than ever before, but that's because they use a turbocharger, and the turbocharger acts like a muffler, so cars are faster but quieter.

So some BMWs now play "enhanced" driving noise through the stereo system!  It's kind of a combination of engine noise and exhaust noise, etc.  They don't advertise it, but some car people have figured it out.  The only way to turn it off is to pull a fuse for the stereo, and then of course you can't use your stereo.

At first I thought it was ridiculous, but it's a great solution.  The driver gets the satisfaction of his (and I use that pronoun on purpose) loud car, but the rest of us don't have to listen to it.  And the whole thing is satisfyingly mockable.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

he explained that newer cars go faster than ever before, but that's because they use a turbocharger, and the turbocharger acts like a muffler, so cars are faster but quieter.

So some BMWs now play "enhanced" driving noise through the stereo system! 

They don't go faster; they may be faster when the light changes, but overall, no. A Challenger can still beat a four-cylinder turbo-charged car. And they're quieter because they only have four cylinders. A friend with a Hyundai says it's a slug; the only time it has any zip is when you stomp on the pedal when the light changes.

The BMW noise function is silly because even people with loud engines don't want excessive road noise. They still want to be able to talk to their companion. I hate BMWs with the passion of a thousand burning suns, so I'll stop there.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Just because she can't tell a Corvette from a Camaro doesn't mean she's incapable of discerning if something is noisy or driven racy in a parking lot.

Well, in this case, she was incapable of discerning if something is noisy or driven racy in a parking lot. You seem to have missed the part where I said there were speed bumps and a big dip where the driveway met the street. The speed bumps would have torn up my ground effects, suspension, exhaust, and undercarriage in general. The dip at the street would have had my front bumper for lunch, not to mention the fact I would have bottomed out on the street and done additional damage to the underside of my car.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

Well, in this case, she was incapable of discerning if something is noisy or driven racy in a parking lot. You seem to have missed the part where I said there were speed bumps and a big dip where the driveway met the street. The speed bumps would have torn up my ground effects, suspension, exhaust, and undercarriage in general. The dip at the street would have had my front bumper for lunch, not to mention the fact I would have bottomed out on the street and done additional damage to the underside of my car.

I saw the part about the speed bumps and whatnot, but assumed they thought you were being racy and loud on the flat parts between them. 

1 hour ago, ennui said:

They don't go faster

One example among many following this trend is the BMW M3, which went from a non-turbo V-8 to a turbo V-6, and the V-6 is a faster car. 

As silly as the electronic sound enhancement seems, I give it props from an engineering standpoint because it manages to be loud only when you're stomping on the gas, but it knows when you're just cruising and shuts up (and I wouldn't be surprised if there's even some sort of sound-cancellation going on).  Pretty clever.  But still ridiculous, in my view. 

Now, in my ideal world, they would have this feature for motorcycles, piped into their helmets.  Or directly into their brains if they're not wearing a helmet (as they're not using their brains for anything else in that situation).  Bluetooth it to other riders in the vicinity.  And leave the rest of us out of the enjoyment of their awesome pipes.

And speaking of assholes, have y'all heard of "rolling coal," where diesel pickups are modified so the driver can blow giant black clouds of smoke, like at Prius drivers?  Or bicyclists?  Nice.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Speaking of devices, I can't find on my phone how to disable video autoplay in the FB app. I looked it up and the instructions don't match my iPhone. The reason for this? A video I had no interest in seeing just started playing while I was looking at something above it, and the content was so horrific that I am trying not to cry at work (and/or text my therapist!). 

I'm so sorry that happened to you! :(

Try this:  Within the Facebook app, tap on menu (three lines on the right) and then scroll all the way down to app settings. The auto-play settings are in there in my app.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thanks--that's actually one of the things I tried and I've got no autoplay setting anywhere! Let's just hope this was a fluke; my heart cannot take it!

Also, my phone is a jerk. I threw it (so I guess I'd be a jerk too if it had actually broken).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
(edited)

I have a 6. It's up to date; I cannot for the life of me find a thing! I was looking for autoplay and the toggle, but nothin'.

Haha, here's a peeve--and I kind of hope someone else has this just so I know I'm not nuts: some kind of weird innate body chemistry that screws up technology! My BF is much more skeptical in general than I am and thinks I have such a thing going on. I've had three Mac laptops in the time that he's had one, and DVD players do not survive with me. Also, I've had to replace my DVR four times in five years. OH, and two iPods that crapped out on me...one of which I gave to him and now is fine!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, Qoass said:

As a former office manager I can categorically state that if more than one person's opinion is in play, there is no such thing as a reasonable temperature.

I think when every client who walks in comments on how cold it is in the waiting room, there's a problem.  And it's not like it's refreshing to be in out of the heat - it was only hot outside one day so far. 

Edited by backformore
10 hours ago, ennui said:

Minor pet peeve ... Memorial Day honors the fallen. Veterans Day honors those that survived. The two holidays are so often confused.

a640c06bc706636c9fbba4b51b8d9c57.jpg

Additionally, my peeve is when people use these holidays as excuses to get drunk and be assholes. Every holiday weekend for the past 10 years I see this (because I work every single holiday weekend dealing with these people).  On a positive note, these idiots make my paycheck larger with the OT we get from their douchebag behavior. 

But still. Assholes. 

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I saw the part about the speed bumps and whatnot, but assumed they thought you were being racy and loud on the flat parts between them. 

Well, there's never that much room between speed bumps. If I had gunned it after a speed bump, I'd just end up flying across the next speed bump. Anyway, I apologize for my last post. Here's the satellite view of the place we lived at the time. It's the complex of blue townhouses on the north side of the street. We lived in the back one, second door in from the left (the one facing the street, not the one perpendicular to the street).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1368+Sunfield+St,+Sun+Prairie,+WI+53590/@43.1769951,-89.2361949,352m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8806f7e37d851277:0x4c6fb891dadc64e!8m2!3d43.1769925!4d-89.2347535

And here is the street view of that parking lot. It looks like they took the speed bumps out, but there were three in the straight-away section of the parking lot when we lived there. And they weren't small speed bumps, either. They were tall enough that if I did not absolutely crawl over them, then I'd end up slamming my undercarriage down onto them as my wheels made contact with the parking lot surface after crossing the speed bump.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1769537,-89.2347379,3a,75y,359.5h,87.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snnFGaVECqCa_7OvFyVFhWg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As you can see, that parking lot isn't long enough to really race through, and with speed bumps in it the only people racing through it were people in sedans and trucks (of which this lady was one). Unfortunately, I didn't think to set up a surveillance camera at the time we lived there. If I had it to do over again, I absolutely would have a surveillance camera - and all my cars would have dash cameras with parking mode.

Edited to add: The irony is that the set up of that parking lot is/was such that the people who really cared about their cars and invested money into their cars would never have raced through the parking lot because of the damage it would do. Whereas the people who just drove a normal, old, used car would hit 20 or 25 mph in the parking lot without a single care given for the speed bumps, and thought nothing of squealing their tires.

11 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Now, in my ideal world, they would have this feature for motorcycles, piped into their helmets.  Or directly into their brains if they're not wearing a helmet (as they're not using their brains for anything else in that situation).  Bluetooth it to other riders in the vicinity.  And leave the rest of us out of the enjoyment of their awesome pipes.

And speaking of assholes, have y'all heard of "rolling coal," where diesel pickups are modified so the driver can blow giant black clouds of smoke, like at Prius drivers?  Or bicyclists?  Nice.

I've seen people do the "rolling coal" and there isn't very much that pisses me off more than that. I've not been the target, per se, but I've been in traffic around them when they've done this. And even if you're not the specific target, it hits everyone within about 50 feet and reduces visibility to nothing in the immediate area around the truck.

As for motorcycles, I hate how loud they are and I hate that the police don't do anything about it, even though the riders have specifically modified their vehicles to do that. Makes me want to jam something between their spokes as they're driving down the road. (I wouldn't do this, of course, but everyone is entitled to a fantasy life.)

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1

Got it, thereadhead77! Thanks--turns out I was giving up just one step before I got to where I needed to be (though I'm still baffled as to why my phone didn't match the instructions I found online). Thanks to you, I am now safe from sad videos!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have a 6. It's up to date; I cannot for the life of me find a thing! I was looking for autoplay and the toggle, but nothin'.

Haha, here's a peeve--and I kind of hope someone else has this just so I know I'm not nuts: some kind of weird innate body chemistry that screws up technology! My BF is much more skeptical in general than I am and thinks I have such a thing going on. I've had three Mac laptops in the time that he's had one, and DVD players do not survive with me. Also, I've had to replace my DVR four times in five years. OH, and two iPods that crapped out on me...one of which I gave to him and now is fine!

I couldn't find any academic articles on this, but I know it is true.  My Dad causes all sorts of things to go squirrelly and always has.  He only bought cheap drug store watches because any watches he wore stopped working after a couple of months.  Cell phones and computers would develop odd problems for him.  It might be genetic, because one of my brothers has the same stuff happen to him and my paternal grandfather couldn't use a compass because if he held it, polarity got mixed up.

If you look up bioenergy fields, you'll find some articles.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Got it, thereadhead77! Thanks--turns out I was giving up just one step before I got to where I needed to be (though I'm still baffled as to why my phone didn't match the instructions I found online). Thanks to you, I am now safe from sad videos!

I think I know the sad video of which you speak. And I specifically told my cousin's wife never to share such things with me again. I'm like you: I can't take it.

13 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I couldn't find any academic articles on this, but I know it is true.  My Dad causes all sorts of things to go squirrelly and always has.  He only bought cheap drug store watches because any watches he wore stopped working after a couple of months.  Cell phones and computers would develop odd problems for him.  It might be genetic, because one of my brothers has the same stuff happen to him and my paternal grandfather couldn't use a compass because if he held it, polarity got mixed up.

If you look up bioenergy fields, you'll find some articles.

That. Is. So. Damn. Cool!

• Love 1
(edited)

I think I know the sad video of which you speak. And I specifically told my cousin's wife never to share such things with me again. I'm like you: I can't take it.

It was something about the ugly truth behind shared videos of dogs doing cute things...and that's all I'll say. The person who shared it was not trying to glorify or upset anyone, just raise awareness I assume. But just...UGH, FUCK EVERYONE, man. You are lucky enough to have a life that a dog fits into--be grateful and kind! Ugh, tears again. I am a lost damn cause.

That. Is. So. Damn. Cool!

Oh no it is not, haha! I remember dropping $400 during a lunch break because I'd had enough of my old iPod being an asshole! To me, anyway--it's happy now with my BF. He tells me to stay away from his guitars, amps, iPad, etc. If only I could channel this thing I have for "good" (quotation marks because my "good" may be someone else's bad).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

My sister has the same problem with electronics.  Gave her my stereu, laptop, microwave, and a fan to go to college. All were in perfect working order.  All were broken within a few months of her being in possession.  She's on I don't know how many computers since then, while I've had 2.  

• Love 2

Dear god, talking about it seems to have brought my technological issues out in droves! A frozen Nook for which none of the "tips and tricks" work despite all the online success stories, my iPhone has no more than two bars (or dots*, rather, on mine) even though I am right here in my house, and an Apple TV that gives me maybe 15 minutes of watching before I need to unplug it and start over (Hulu has The Lucy Show, you guys!). Oy gevalt.

* I don't even know for certain if the dots in the upper left corner indicate reception or WiFi or whatever. Do they? I'm sorry; I'm incorrigible in this regard! 

Today's pet peeve is cigarette smokers littering constantly. And not being ticketed for it!! If I threw as much garbage on the sidewalks and roadsides as smokers do I'd never get the tickets paid off! Lets change the detail a little. I'm walking across the parking lot shoveling in a burger. As I get to the sidewalk I realize I can't finish. Instead of walking the FIVE FEET to the trash can I just dump bag and burger on the sidewalk. By the door.  Assholes. 

• Love 3
(edited)

We have smokers in this condo (I am one of them) who throw their butts in the grass behind us! WTF--we live here! Why would you do that? It's very green and pretty out there too. We all pay maintenance fees. Why am I out on my balcony smoking (with my safety-conscious covered ashtray, mind you!) overlooking trees and a rock wall and flowers and rabbits (sometimes a bear!) and...cigarette butts?! Why?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

We have smokers in this condo (I am one of them) who throw their butts in the grass behind us! WTF--we live here! Why would you do that? It's very green and pretty out there too. We all pay maintenance fees. Why am I out on my balcony smoking (with my safety-conscious covered ashtray, mind you!) overlooking trees and a rock wall and flowers and rabbits (sometimes a bear!) and...cigarette butts?! Why?

Because SOME smokers, just like some people, are assholes.  We just tend to notice bad behavior more often.

• Love 4

Yeah, I'm not against people smoking in public if they want. It's the double standard I resent regarding the littering. I don't throw my burger wrappers or used toilet paper or kids' dirty diapers (if I had kids) on the sidewalks, and if I did someone would say something, as they should. I don't toss the same stuff out my car window either, but I bet I could build a mountain with the butts I've seen tossed out windows. 

Do these people toss their butts in their own yards? Or their own floors? 

• Love 1

I undertook a thorough cleaning of my pantry and the jetsam & flotsam that accumulates on top of my fridge.  

I. Am too tired to cook now even though I know exactly what I have in the way of food stuff.

• Love 2

I don't understand that behavior, @TattleTeeny. I understand people throwing their cigarette butts, even though I wish they wouldn't. People are essentially lazy, and for some people, etiquette and social mores never overcome that.

I even understand throwing them on grass because no one believes his or her behavior is going to start a fire. That's always other people, even if it's the same behavior. But why would you take that chance in your own yard? At least drop your cigarette butt on a nonflammable surface if you're going to be a lazy jerk and not drop it into the appropriate receptacle.

• Love 3
(edited)

I know--it's nuts. We have such a nice view back there; I just don't get it. Meanwhile, I'm up here using an ashtray, which I regularly empty and clean! I am some kind of sucker, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, bubbls said:

Do these people toss their butts in their own yards? Or their own floors? 

Married to a smoker. She used to do this. Now, she keeps a jug with water in it and puts them in there. Both drive me crazy.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1
On 5/25/2017 at 3:59 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

But on the subject of loud vehicles...

Car people say,  "If it's too loud, you're too old!" As to attacks on manhood, you'd be surprised how many loud, powerful vehicles belong to women. I personally witnessed a young woman purchasing a Dodge, who implored the salesman to "start it again!" because she loved the sound.

Okay, back to griping about smokers. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, bubbls said:

Today's pet peeve is cigarette smokers littering constantly. And not being ticketed for it!! If I threw as much garbage on the sidewalks and roadsides as smokers do I'd never get the tickets paid off! Lets change the detail a little. I'm walking across the parking lot shoveling in a burger. As I get to the sidewalk I realize I can't finish. Instead of walking the FIVE FEET to the trash can I just dump bag and burger on the sidewalk. By the door.  Assholes. 

I lump these people in with the lazy folks who can't be bothered to return their cart to a cart corral. If you've got working legs and arms, there's no excuse. It's so windy here carts careen across the parking lot and seem to always hit the most expensive vehicle in the lot. 

• Love 8

And people who can't ask for "room" when they buy coffee, but instead pour the excess in a plastic trash bag in the can at the coffee shop. If any one of you here do that, stop it. A barista who these folks think is beneath them has to haul that dripping, disgusting mess to the dumpster. I give the offenders serious side eye and a heavy sigh.

• Love 6

I don't drink coffee, either, but I think that means asking that the cup not be filled so high that there isn't room to add stuff to the coffee.

I never pour liquid into a trash can.  I sure as hell don't want to deal with that at home (that will inevitably be the bag that has a little hole in it), so I'm not going to do it to somebody else.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

I don't drink coffee, so I will never do that, but what does it mean to ask for room?

Leave space for cream/milk and/or sugar. 

"large coffee, leave room [for cream & sugar]."

• Love 2

As a former barista, we were trained to leave milk for cream/sugar. Better to hear the "Fill it to the top" request, then to drag out half a bag of wasted coffee to the dumpster.

Here's my peeve: My co-worker was in a jam the other day and asked to borrow $10 bucks until payday. I was nice enough to say "Sure, and don't worry about paying me back", but she insisted.

So yesterday, I'm walking down the hallway, and she gets in my face and rudely says "Here ya go" and basically shoves the money in my face. I say '....Thanks?" and she keeps walking. End of conversation. Hasn't spoken to me since (and we are usually work buddies).  This isn't the first time I've had rude encounters when someone's paying back a loan I've offered.  Unless it is a an extremely large amount or I need it, I never press anybody and never think about it. But I usually get a brisk attitude anytime someone has taken it upon themselves to repay me.

It makes me never want to help anyone else out again---and I hate feeling like that.

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

As a former barista, we were trained to leave milk for cream/sugar. Better to hear the "Fill it to the top" request, then to drag out half a bag of wasted coffee to the dumpster.

Here's my peeve: My co-worker was in a jam the other day and asked to borrow $10 bucks until payday. I was nice enough to say "Sure, and don't worry about paying me back", but she insisted.

So yesterday, I'm walking down the hallway, and she gets in my face and rudely says "Here ya go" and basically shoves the money in my face. I say '....Thanks?" and she keeps walking. End of conversation. Hasn't spoken to me since (and we are usually work buddies).  This isn't the first time I've had rude encounters when someone's paying back a loan I've offered.  Unless it is a an extremely large amount or I need it, I never press anybody and never think about it. But I usually get a brisk attitude anytime someone has taken it upon themselves to repay me.

It makes me never want to help anyone else out again---and I hate feeling like that.

Let me get this straight: you were kind enough to loan this person money, even offering it as a gift not to be repaid, this woman insists on paying you back, then pays you back in the most belligerent way imaginable? Jeez, the way she was acting, you'd swear you not only demanded the money back, but charged interest and a pound of her flesh as well!

• Love 10
32 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

There's a coffee place I go to sometimes with a photography group, and they always ask me if they should leave room.  Since I drink it black, I always let them fill it all the way.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Leave space for cream/milk and/or sugar. 

"large coffee, leave room [for cream & sugar]."

That makes sense. I don't think I've ever ordered anything that needed anything added, except in Rome when I ordered hot chocolate. Turns out the hot chocolate isn't sweet, and you need to add your own sugar. There was plenty of room for it, though.

Let me get this straight: you were kind enough to loan this person money, even offering it as a gift not to be repaid, this woman insists on paying you back, then pays you back in the most belligerent way imaginable? Jeez, the way she was acting, you'd swear you not only demanded the money back, but charged interest and a pound of her flesh as well!

Yeah, and the kicker is that I was so annoyed at her response that I ended up misplacing the $10 anyway. Sent her a nice little text that while I appreciate the repayment, but the $10 bucks wasn't worth the insulting behavior. No response of course.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

Yeah, and the kicker is that I was so annoyed at her response that I ended up misplacing the $10 anyway. Sent her a nice little text that while I appreciate the repayment, but the $10 bucks wasn't worth the insulting behavior. No response of course.

When I loan people money, I don't tell them not to worry about it, but I don't worry about it.  If I get it back, I get it back. If not, well, no biggie.  I do remember in Junior high, though, there was this one girl who asked me every day to borrow 50 cents for juice.  I'm not entirely sure where I was getting this endless supply of quarters (my allowance was $1 a week, I must have had some secret source of money that I don't even remember), but anyway, she never paid me back.  So, one day, she asked me for 50 cents, and I said no.  My endless supply of quarters hadn't ended, but I was feeling used at that point.  She just sat there and stared at me, like she couldn't believe I'd refused.  I'm still not sure why I was responsible for her daily juice fix.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

When I loan people money, I don't tell them not to worry about it, but I don't worry about it.  If I get it back, I get it back. If not, well, no biggie. 

That's how I am - I won't lend you money I wouldn't give you. 

I used to work with someone who became a really close friend.  We had $20 that we kept lending to each other over several years.  We don't know who ended up owing the other one at the end, but it didn't really matter.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

That's how I am - I won't lend you money I wouldn't give you. 

I used to work with someone who became a really close friend.  We had $20 that we kept lending to each other over several years.  We don't know who ended up owing the other one at the end, but it didn't really matter.

This is me. Usually it's borrowing a few bucks because someone didn't go to the ATM and it's easier to handle the transaction in cash. Now with Venmo it's super easy to pay people back right away but in my close circle someone always "owes" someone, something but we all figure it works itself out in the end.

• Love 5

I always say "Don't worry about it" when I lend money because I don't ever expect to get the money back anyway. If I have the ability to give, I give. If you feel the need to give it back, don't come at me with an attitude and throw the money in my face. If you are feeling some kind of way about having to borrow the money in the first place, work that out within yourself before you approach me.  I don't deserve to be treated like crap for being nice.

• Love 11
On 5/27/2017 at 0:29 PM, bubbls said:

Agree so hard on this!!! I live in a good condo building and am so damned sick and tired of these gross smokers who find it perfectly acceptable to just toss their old butts into the grass/common areas. It's disgusting enough having to smell the stench they leave around their balconies, but the fact that so many of them are such blatant, shameless litterbugs is especially grating. 

Speaking of grating, as a non-smoker I find the trend of smokers being granted automatic smoke breaks throughout the workday especially frustrating. If these folks are automatically given breaks for their bad habits, I don't ever wanna hear anyone questioning me about MY breaks to either take a short walk or scroll on my phone or shove some vending machine shit down my piehole for a bit.

And as for my pot-smoking neighbors? I really wish those jerks would take their extreme stoner stenches elsewhere((yes, I've reported the smells to our building management repeatedly)). Not cool when I'm hosting a lovely dinner party for some respected family and associates and most of them make assorted comments about the "interesting" smells in our hallways as they walked to my door. And I like to party as much as the next stoner, but even I'm thoughtful enough to keep other people from having to deal with the remnants of my own vices.

Just remembered my latest pet peeve whine: people who constantly ask to borrow things and usually never return them!!! I have a co-worker who is guilty of this: asks me to borrow everything from ear buds to coffee mugs((two of mine remain unreturned)) to paper to basic office supplies to a phone charger to even my laptop power chord! She's even tried to bum money off me((to which I lied, "Sorry, I never bring cash to work.")) I about lost it on her finally when I stopped her as she was walking down the hall to go home for the day and said, "Hey, I need my charger back, please." Bitch had the nerve to do that whole "Whoops, I totally forgot, sorry!" routine as she guiltily fished it out of her purse. After that, I was DONE. Now when she asks me to borrow my shit I just smile sweetly and lie about not having whatever she asks for---nope, I'll help out anyone else, but I don't help disrespectful users.

• Love 7

Same with me and my friends. We even had a few stretches of time over the years with one or another person out of work, and the rest of us would just pay for dinners and nights out for that person rather than have that person not go. 

• Love 3